7.9

1. Nov 19, 2011
    I don't get it. I really don't. I bought this game thinking it was going to be amazing because of the praise it got, but it just left me completely disappointed. It is like they stripped away all of the fun gameplay elements for a serious story and honestly, the story is not that good. I'm in no way saying this is a bad game, it is just completely overrated by critics. I tried to like it,I don't get it. I really don't. I bought this game thinking it was going to be amazing because of the praise it got, but it just left me completely disappointed. It is like they stripped away all of the fun gameplay elements for a serious story and honestly, the story is not that good. I'm in no way saying this is a bad game, it is just completely overrated by critics. I tried to like it, but I just got bored after a couple of hours. Expand
  2. WoodrowD.
    May 21, 2008
    Pretty Great, but it's getting old on me fast. Definitely enjoyed GTA: San Andreas longer and better. The new improvements are all met by equal losses. The map is too small, and I don't know what else I can do with a helicopter.
  3. Heman
    May 4, 2008
    The game play is slow and Multiplayer is ok. There is not much of a co-op game. the free roam with your friends is fun for about the first 10 min..They took out all the NPC in the bars and restaurants soo all you have to do is kill civilians and each other. Would have been a 10 if there was more to do online.
  4. SamL.
    May 11, 2008
    I think it needs to be known to the developers that there is actually ALOT less excitement and entertainment in GTA4 compared to GTA:SA. There is much less to do. It's sad, looking at all the potential and time put into the design of the new Liberty City, and then seeing it squandered without adding at least SOME of the side quests. I thought at least the player stats would still be I think it needs to be known to the developers that there is actually ALOT less excitement and entertainment in GTA4 compared to GTA:SA. There is much less to do. It's sad, looking at all the potential and time put into the design of the new Liberty City, and then seeing it squandered without adding at least SOME of the side quests. I thought at least the player stats would still be present, or half the activities. It plays like a work of art meets crime saga, but my rise to the top is for nothing without rackets to run, safehouses to buy, or even a DESTRUCTION DERBY to roll in! None of the freedom present in San Andreas is here. Enjoy your 90 missions and a few car thefts, then bring it back to Gamestop and trade it in for the copy of GTA:SA you let someone borrow and never got back. All in all, I miss having a pink mohawk, dammit. Expand
  5. Bigsteve
    May 13, 2008
    This game I thought was a little poor, i got bored of the missions early on in the game and what was with the dark feel to the game. Then the game became good and unique. Thats right i turned on multi player online. This is by far the best area on the game, fight , team up, play the cop and turf wars. I thought this made the game a lot more that yet another GTA!
  6. JackM.
    May 5, 2008
    Yeah i know only a seven is a little harsh but im baseing this mostly on gameplay progress, loads of stuff missing from previous games its like the game is de-evolving. This being said the models look superb considering how many they had to make. Physics are a lot tighter making getting around the city feel much more realistic. The story is much as i had expected from Rockstar considering Yeah i know only a seven is a little harsh but im baseing this mostly on gameplay progress, loads of stuff missing from previous games its like the game is de-evolving. This being said the models look superb considering how many they had to make. Physics are a lot tighter making getting around the city feel much more realistic. The story is much as i had expected from Rockstar considering the previous GTA titles. I just feel that the game has lost some depth in the transition to next gen. Obviously if your a fan of the GTA games purely for driving around and killing people you will be more than happy with this ;) but i think a hardcore fan of the series will be quite disappointed after seeing through the nicely polished surface. Expand
  7. May 10, 2013
    GTA IV did some things right. It looked great during its time for a sandbox title and the story was decent if not pretty good. But the gameplay was not. Niko controls like a tank, the cars control like overweight elephants, and the mission variety is pathetic. Add to that the general over-fabricated nature of the city, in ways more so than in earlier games or series like the Elder ScrollsGTA IV did some things right. It looked great during its time for a sandbox title and the story was decent if not pretty good. But the gameplay was not. Niko controls like a tank, the cars control like overweight elephants, and the mission variety is pathetic. Add to that the general over-fabricated nature of the city, in ways more so than in earlier games or series like the Elder Scrolls and you get to me, a game that does not live up to the hype in any way or even close. An average game with a great name. Expand
  8. Sep 21, 2011
    This game is way overrated and should not be the number 1 game. It has good graphics and gameplay but after a little while gets extremely boring. now that its 15 bucks its a good investment but boring.
  9. Nov 25, 2011
    GTA IV wasn't as good as people were making it out to be. The game lost it's sense of fun and humor for the sake of realism and it ended up being boring. The cars drove like a ton of bricks, the graphics while good made areas of the game way too dark, even with the brightness turned right up.

The multiplayer while fun at first became very boring after a few weeks. I play games for fun

The multiplayer while fun at first became very boring after a few weeks.

I play games for fun and GTA IV is not fun. I recommend playing Saints Row 2 & 3 instead.
  10. Sep 29, 2012
    Good: An incredibly detailed, realistic urban world for the player to explore. Driving and car chases can be fun.

Bad: GTA IV has a terrible (at times unplayable) framerate on the Xbox 360 (I've read the PS3 version is even worse). It also has one of the worst gameplay cameras I've come across (it constantly autocenters itself, making for a very unpleasant--even nauseating--experience.) The lack of checkpoints in missions is a big middle finger to the player from the developer. The cutscenes are drawn out and overacted, with uninteresting dialogue.

Summary: an outstanding *world* but a mediocre *game*.
  11. Dec 5, 2011
    If you like any of the previous GTAs do not buy. They've taken loads of stuff out it's basically GTA 3 without the fun stuff and side missions. There's no fun in rampages anymore. The story isn't very good and missions are all the same and not humorous. However, if you are new to the sereis or did not enjoy San Andreas, this is the game for you if you want nothing but a average lengthIf you like any of the previous GTAs do not buy. They've taken loads of stuff out it's basically GTA 3 without the fun stuff and side missions. There's no fun in rampages anymore. The story isn't very good and missions are all the same and not humorous. However, if you are new to the sereis or did not enjoy San Andreas, this is the game for you if you want nothing but a average length story. The online has lots of choice but is fundamentally flawed due to the control scheme. I understand that this is next-gen so it's inevitably not going to be as complete as San Andreas in terms of single-player content, but the game doesn't feel like it's the greatest game of all time. 98/100 is very much overrated and unjustified. It adds nothing new to the already crowded sandbox genre. The online has co-op as well as competitive, but none of the modes are particularly fun or good quality, and there are a few glitches and technical issues with the game engine both online and single player. The entire single player content is just story based, with little to do other than pigeons, and you can't spend money on anything but weapons, which have no use anyway since you can't use them for anything but the story. The map doesn't feel well-made either, with every island and building just copied and pasted over and over again. There's no variety in the missions, map or level design. The story doesn't feel engaging either, and the lack of depth is another issue. It appears that Rockstar have focused almost entirely on the game engine rather than the game itself. Even if we ignore the San Andreas comparison and the fact that it has GTA in the title, this game is still not worthy of anything above 90. OK despite the auto-aim the action is good. The co-op game modes especially are straightforward killing. Yes, there is little skill in the gun-on-gun gameplay competitively, but it's still fun because at least there's recoil, so it's not just about who gets first shot off. The cars and driving are much improved, despite the frankly abysmal attempt at making the physics "realistic". Hitting a curb at like 50mph makes your car do 3 barrel rolls, for example. There are a number of glitches and technical issues surrounding the game too, so it does feel like an old-school sandbox game. The radio stations all suck because the music is terrible, but the chat shows and ads make a worthy return. The city itself is very lackluster. There's no variety like in San Andreas. It's not a bad attempt- certainly much better than the Liberty City of the GTA 3 era but most of the map never gets used; partly due to the lack of side missions and mostly because of the main story missions. The achievement "Liberty City Minute" sums this game up. I completed the story and side missions (excluding collectibles) in 28 hours. Despite this, I didn't feel that Nico had gone on an adventure. The story was just not up to scratch even for a normal game, let alone a Grand Theft Auto. The missions/what you do are AVERAGE for a GAME, and beyond attrocious for a Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar's creativity has completely gone out the window. In every respect, even as a game- let alone a Grand Theft Auto- GTA IV is mediocre. The online is decent but GTA is all about the single player experience. Rockstar have thrown away their creativity, variety and originality. I bought this game expecting an even bigger revolution than San Andreas. What I got was a longer than average shooter for a campaign and A miniscule 28 hours single player experience when San Andreas could easily offer triple that even without collectibles. As a shooter, as a game, as a GTA, this game is a dissapointment however you see it. Nobody can justify 98/100. No-one. Even if this game came out before San Andreas it'd deserve less than 90. GTA IV had big shoes to fill, but has failed. There's no question about it. If you truly had even the slightest attachment to San Andreas or even Vice City, you will realise what I'm saying is so true. You can't possibly think this game was NOT a disapointment if you are a true fan of the series. Of course nobody can deny that GTA IV is a good game. But it's impossible to not make comparisons and throw away expectations and past experiences. when reviewing such a highly rated and anticipated game. Expand
  12. Oct 21, 2011
    98/100 are you serious? when i was in college and played GTA 3 it blew my socks off, but i played 5 hours of this and it devolved into "find a roof, snipe people". They've been flogging this dead horse for a loooong time. speaking of horses, red dead redemption was a fantastic game. buy that instead.
  13. May 27, 2012
    This game is so overated. The game is a technical marvel, but its not very fun. Going around, doing pretty much the same thing over and over again. Driving and shooting, and the shooting isnt very well implemented. Technical wise, I'd rate this game a 10, but fun wise i give it a 6.
  14. Dec 17, 2012
    This game is pretty fun, sadly, it is not as much as good as GTA: SA , GTA 3 or GTA: VC...
    Why? This game is mostly about graphics, but the gameplay is not convenient nor comfortable. The game has amazing graphics to be one of the first games for Xbox 360 or for PS3, but they failed with the gameplay, plus the radgoll is cool, but if you fall from a short length, Niko will damaged and you will waste time by waiting until he stands up. Also, the story was very idea to be a GTA game. Those are the problems that GTA 4 had (in my opinion). Hopefully GTA 5 is better than GTA 4.
  15. michaels
    Jul 11, 2009
    I have read a few comments, from gamers who love this game and it sound like they are the ones who designed it, trying to justify it's brilliants! I have not got HD so maybe i have missed out on that side of it, but i loved the last couple on playstation2 and i loved it for the game play, the graphics have alweays been cool! I wanted to enjoy what vice city and san andreas gave me, I have read a few comments, from gamers who love this game and it sound like they are the ones who designed it, trying to justify it's brilliants! I have not got HD so maybe i have missed out on that side of it, but i loved the last couple on playstation2 and i loved it for the game play, the graphics have alweays been cool! I wanted to enjoy what vice city and san andreas gave me, FUN, but trying to open taxi doors getting a lift was painful, why have the same button too steal as to get to a destination, plenty of other buttons to choice from! Also no animals or kids, is it unethical to have them in the game, does killing only adults push the boundaries far enough, is it not fun escaping reality for a few hours here and there to kill what you can, please explain!!!! No casino's or betting places really ruined it for me, is was a good way to get easy money, but i guess why need money when you can't buy houses only limited clothing and food and hookers, need more! Why can't you rob a bank or steal armoured cars to get money, it would be fun! As much as i love blowing things up, i love building things, can't you have more buying of properties and buying things for the houses, and having more clothes to choose from! Not just safe houses, but places you can design mostly yourself and want to spend time there not just for changing clothes or saving, but to bring friends you meet or chicks who you score with back there to party or to swim, or to play pool, anything! I really do hope gta5 if there is going to be one, brings all the best things from all the gta games into it, not just pushing out a really unfinshed game with good graphics, because i would rather gameplay over graphics anyday! Gta 4 should have made san andreas look bad, but it was just unfinished, i think due to deadlines! I beg the designers to read what people want not just do there own creations because they didn't seem to work there magic this time as they did in Gta san andreas which was orgasmic gameplay! I really think gta 4 was rushed so the designer can get to gta 5, i hope so! If the designer read this and they need some fresh ideas, i have plenty, i will give my email and will work for free, i just want goood gameplay! Expand
  16. Sep 27, 2010
    3 steps foward now 3 steps back . thats the best way i can describe GTA4 . the series since GTA 3 for the PS2 was ground breaking and with GTA VC and GTA SA it was pushing foward . although by the time i got to playing GTA SA i felt the series growing alittle stale in its story mode . so when i heard Rockstar was gona try and make GTA4 abit more fresh in it story mode i couldnt wait to see3 steps foward now 3 steps back . thats the best way i can describe GTA4 . the series since GTA 3 for the PS2 was ground breaking and with GTA VC and GTA SA it was pushing foward . although by the time i got to playing GTA SA i felt the series growing alittle stale in its story mode . so when i heard Rockstar was gona try and make GTA4 abit more fresh in it story mode i couldnt wait to see what they where gona try . when i got the game and played it for awhile i was amazed how much they removed from this game . it felt like they stripped it down . all the new guns they where adding in the series are now back to the same gun selection as GTA3 . you are in the same city as GTA 3 and story just feels the same . you are just some guy who is trying to take over the city . most of the missions feel recycled . you have less vehicles in prevous GTA games . they finnaly started adding more flying vehicles in this game in GTA VC and GTA SA but now in GTA 4 we are down to just a helicopter. why are the going backwards? the new stuff they did add just didnt feel like it worked or belonged. like you can now make friends and can hang out with them which if you wana keep them happy you have to do. which for being a cut throat russian who is tryin to take over a city why the hell would you be doing that? The games graphics i thought looked pretty good not ground breaking but did its job. the online mode was ok had ALOT of different game modes to choose from . none of the game modes i felt are any thing long lasting but kept me entertained for a week or so . the most fun i had was the free roaming co op me and friends had alot of fun starting a war with the cops and seeing how long we could survive. though it makes you wish they had a story mode co op how cool could this game coulda been if you and 4 buddys coulda played through the story mode like that? i woulda probubly given this game atleast a 8 if it had that. the game as is i felt was just ok felt to recycled in the end and nothing new and exciting was really added to it . for a next gen GTA game i was really hoping they would try and redifine GTA . i dont know how this beat out Fall out 3 for GOTY. i hope rockstar does a better job with GTA5. Expand
  17. Sep 20, 2010
    So boring. Unless I'm in a room full of people who have absolutely no desire to have a turn, and are encouraging me to hit that old lady with my firetruck, then it's hard for me to play this game for more than ten minutes.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Not as good as San Andreas. Being stuck in the one city is dullsville, and it lacks the epic scale of its predecessors (where were the epic car chases jumping over huge obstacles?).
  19. Aug 21, 2012
    this game is such a downgrade from san andres there are barely any weapons the characters are annoying the map isnt that good or big its too realistic the mini games are boring the cover system is bad and there is nothing to do in the game after you complete the story on the bright side the shooting is better in this game because it actually uses the trigger buttons instead of the O and orthis game is such a downgrade from san andres there are barely any weapons the characters are annoying the map isnt that good or big its too realistic the mini games are boring the cover system is bad and there is nothing to do in the game after you complete the story on the bright side the shooting is better in this game because it actually uses the trigger buttons instead of the O and or B button the online play is also fun and a good addition with a bunch of different modes and when you shoot people in the game where ever the bullet hits affects the person but this game is very lackluster compared to earlier installments if wasnt for multiplayer and the gun physics id give this a 0 Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2012
    GTA IV was good, I enjoyed playing and spent a good couple of days on it, however it wasn't enough of an improvment to GTA: San Andreas, they even removed the things that made that game great, you run slower and with seemingly less control, a car tapping your leg deals you damage, which is really annoying, they removed the availability to use planes, and the world was smaller. The two DLCGTA IV was good, I enjoyed playing and spent a good couple of days on it, however it wasn't enough of an improvment to GTA: San Andreas, they even removed the things that made that game great, you run slower and with seemingly less control, a car tapping your leg deals you damage, which is really annoying, they removed the availability to use planes, and the world was smaller. The two DLC stories weren't that good either, mediocre stories that cleared up only one or two scenarios in the main game, overall, they removed more than they added. Expand
  21. May 21, 2011
    I can understand the metascore of 92 if you've played the game for an hour. Seriously, though, the game is self-repeating and more boring than San Andreas ever was. Technically, this is just a graphic and physics improvement of GTA with the expense of nothing to do but to ignore the phone calls from your "friends". The multiplayer started to bore me after a couple of hours, but the singleI can understand the metascore of 92 if you've played the game for an hour. Seriously, though, the game is self-repeating and more boring than San Andreas ever was. Technically, this is just a graphic and physics improvement of GTA with the expense of nothing to do but to ignore the phone calls from your "friends". The multiplayer started to bore me after a couple of hours, but the single player - the real core of GTA - was playable. If you're looking for a sandbox, GTA gives you a postal-sort of fun for 5 minutes. After which you realize there is nothing to do, little to no use for the money you earn from missions and in-game bowling and other games are as dull as they sound like. I can not understand people giving a full-priced game which only contains better graphics and physics a full 10, or even 9. Truth be told, GTA IV was successful solely because of the Rockstar's mastery of hype and the thirst for another Grand Theft Auto. Nothing more. The story of Niko Bellic is generic and the game itself isn't even close to 9/10. Fanboys aside, you'll enjoy the first playthrough but in the end it leaves you 50 bucks poorer and a bad taste in your mouth because of the praise from critics and GTA disciples alike. Expand
  22. DragovicDemitie
    Jul 8, 2008
    i give gta iv a 6 becasue anything higher would just be because of it's reputation. think about it, no push bike, can't fly a jet, can't fly a jumbo jet Can't, Can't get a parachute. I mean what the fuck are we doing here. you might have gone back and made the graphics better on gta3 and made the graphic's better. Holy fuck, You cheap gta designers. youi give gta iv a 6 becasue anything higher would just be because of it's reputation. think about it, no push bike, can't fly a jet, can't fly a jumbo jet Can't, Can't get a parachute. I mean what the fuck are we doing here. you might have gone back and made the graphics better on gta3 and made the graphic's better. Holy fuck, You cheap gta designers. you screwed the series up with this game didn't you. but i give the graphics a ten. now that we had a look at cars. well it's cool you go threw the winsheild when you hit something hard enough, thats cool im down with that.it's cool how you can strip the rubber of the tyre that it goes to the rim. thats all good. but every mission you do your driving, i mean jesus christ i drive everywhere! My second point of problems is that when you get on a car and it goes 3mph it's like you break your leg!! and your laying there on the bonnet with your" leg Broken" and you still geting hurt and the car is still going 3mph and your left there saying wtf??? Also when your running away from the police and you get hit by a car that was going 5 mph, you just sit there waiting for the ketle water to boil for a cup coffee. Because tapping a dont work and he is like a girl. he can't do any karate moves, if a sniper could shoot 160 miles away from a target. It wont Matter!! cause they still know who you are when your over 2 miles from the target i mean common!!! Wake up to ur self designers. i think they would hav been better off if they did another san andreas instead of another gta 3 cause this one Is Crap, Is not worth it's reputation. You can't hook up and have a truck hook up to other trailers. thats what i wanted it to have but no they put these other shitty trucks which are good but where's the road trains??!?!?!? and why has the police helicopter have no aimer to shoot people and cars? if you love gta san andreas this is just gta 3 just with better graphics.WTF you can't swim under water, you can't increase the brakes, cause they an't worth anything i stop better with the handbrake than with the frount brakes. oh yea you can't loose the cops with six stars!!! So what is the point with all the fun you used to have running away with six stars and hoping you could survive, Now you have no chance.but dont get me wrong i think that it could have gone futher and it had potentional. i Point this as a real screw up (aplause) nice work rockstar, nice work. Designers did a 10 on graphics but think about buying this game before you do. this game has a repuation way over thier head, Becareful Expand
  23. Nov 9, 2012
    The biggest problem with the game is the controls. Could they have made driving not feel like a chore? And because they put the cheat system in the phone, its very difficult to access. San Andreas is better because it had more weapons, better controls, and better cheats. San Andreas has a jetpack and flying cars cheats and other great ones. Does GTA 4 have any of this? No.
  24. Nov 13, 2012
    I suppose I understand the appeal of these open world games but some games are not for everyone. I have never been a fan of GTA or Saint's Row and this is not changing my mind. It's boring. Good story, bland gameplay. The humor kept me going
  25. AndyHuber
    Apr 30, 2008
    it's really amazing how overhyped this game is. i guess rockstar couldn't possibly have bribed all those reviewers. but still i'm wondering where it comes from, because:

the "great voice acting and facial animation" - give me a break. there's a >lot< better in e.g. mass effect or lost odyssey. the lip synchronization often doesn't fit, characters move there brows seemingly random - it's almost like back to the games where they first started using facial animation.

the "fantastic graphics" - admittedly, the city is huge but they still could've used more detailed character models and textures for closeup scenes. the "lot of detail" we're seeing in the game according to reviews look like something out of half life. objects with hardly any polygons and sometimes i'm wondering if there are even textures on them or they just colored them brown or something. once again i'd like to mention mass effect here. of course mass effect doesn't have those huge areas you can drive around in but it's simply wrong to just say that gta 4 has great graphics, period. if people would say that the graphics themselves aren't really nexgen-worthy but the huge world makes up for that - ok.

the radio stations... according to reviews there's so much great music. well, i might have different taste in music than most people but the point is - when i'm listening to a rock station, i want to hear rock and not hip-hop or something else!

now for the driving behaviour of the cars... since gta is mostly about stealing cars, you'd think that car handling would've been a major focus while developing the game. and it probably was but in my opinion they still didn't get it right. braking is way too slow.

various other actions can be performed at just the tap of a button... sometimes different depending on the context. which might not always be clear to the user, so you sometimes end up doing things you didn't actually want to do. e.g. sometimes "X" means climbing up somewhere. but don't ever to that trying to get on the ledge of a roof of a skyscraper. or you'll have to restart the mission and once more drive all the way there.
    that's one more point to criticize... that you always have to drive where the mission actually starts if you restart it. very annoying.

combat handling is also somehow related to this. for example you can switch your lock-on between enemies when using the right thumb stick while being locked on. sounds great theory, in practice it often doesn't work. you're locked on to someone who's behind some wall and just can't switch to the guy standing directly in front of you putting bullets in your head. and even if you try to switch off lock-on, look in the direction of the guy shooting at you manually and then turn on lock-on again, it often snaps back to the guy behind the wall. and you're dead. and you'll have to spend several minutes skipping cutscenes and either driving back there or waiting for taxis.

then there are those "characters you care for" and the "great story". most of the characters are cliche thugs i couldn't care less about. there are some that are interesting but still the interaction is so... minimal and pointless that i'm almost tempted to skip even new cutscenes.
    also, i think that the dramatic story doesn't help the fun you have while you're playing because you can enjoy killing people and such more if the game doesn't take itself seriously. of course gta 4 isn't completely serious but still too serious for my taste. especially the main character.

speaking about the main character. that guy talks to a "bro" whose slang is beyond everything i've ever seen in a movie. my mother tongue isn't english but by now i've seen around 1000 movies and quite some tv shows in english - and i still could hardly understand anything that guy was saying! even when i tried to read the subtitles! but the guy fresh from poland who doesn't manage to speak accent-free can understand him? yeah right.

so why do i still give the game 7/10 if i don't like all those things? well, the game world IS huge and impressive, the way people around the city behave and react to various influences is great and if the combat controls work like they should, it's really fun as well. also while the story, missions and such might not be the best, they are still moderately interesting.
  26. JetEngineJesus
    May 29, 2008
    Overall a very good game, but not deserving of the perfect scores coming from the game "journalists". Characters are all well-developed, writing and voice acting are top notch. Niko is easily one of the most interesting (and strangely moral...?) protagonists in modern video games.
    Gameplay marred by clumsy control and camera issues. Missing a lot of the features that made San Andreas so much fun (mountain biking, jet-packs, parachutes, etc.). The radio stations all seem like an afterthought, without any standout music or DJs, and get annoying VERY QUICKLY; I've had the volume on them turned completely off for weeks now.
    I don't know what Wallpaperman has been smoking. I'm at 79% complete, with only the story missions remaining, and am sitting at around 70hrs of gameplay.
    Definitely a must play, in spite of all of the criticisms. Just don't go in expecting ZOMGBESTGAMEEVAR!1!!!1!!!!!ZOMGITHINKIMGONNAPLOTZ!!1!
  27. StevenHoulihan
    May 26, 2008
    The graphics and overall surroundings are probably the best feature of GTA IV. I think it is over rated as i grew tired of the game after a while and i am a big fan of all the other GTA's. In some aspects it was a big step up from San Andreas but fell down in most parts, for all the hype before its release i thought it was going to be awesome, at least with san andreas it took me agesThe graphics and overall surroundings are probably the best feature of GTA IV. I think it is over rated as i grew tired of the game after a while and i am a big fan of all the other GTA's. In some aspects it was a big step up from San Andreas but fell down in most parts, for all the hype before its release i thought it was going to be awesome, at least with san andreas it took me ages to complete i cleared this one in a few days. There was just so much more they could have done with it. But Rockstar don't care they've made their millions Expand
  28. JakeSanford
    May 30, 2008
    Three steps forward, six steps back. Its too bad the steps taken backwards of course, are the best things about previous Grand Theft Autos. I speak of course for the story, gameplay, weapons, vehicles, missions, and all around scale of the previous games. GTAIV though, seems to take a giant leap backwards in each of these categories. All in all GTAIV amounts to nothing more than an updateThree steps forward, six steps back. Its too bad the steps taken backwards of course, are the best things about previous Grand Theft Autos. I speak of course for the story, gameplay, weapons, vehicles, missions, and all around scale of the previous games. GTAIV though, seems to take a giant leap backwards in each of these categories. All in all GTAIV amounts to nothing more than an update in graphics, physics, and comedy. If your looking for a sequel to GTA3, this is it. If you want something larger in scale compared to San Andreas, you will not like this installment of the series.
  29. JakeChappelle
    May 18, 2008
    It was fun for awhile, yet as the game went through it's course, there were numerous problems that bore down on it's performance. The main character went from being a confused immigrant into a "cold" in killer less than a quarter of the game. The mission redo structure could definitely use improvements, a checkpoint for when you reach the destination perhaps, instead of having toIt was fun for awhile, yet as the game went through it's course, there were numerous problems that bore down on it's performance. The main character went from being a confused immigrant into a "cold" in killer less than a quarter of the game. The mission redo structure could definitely use improvements, a checkpoint for when you reach the destination perhaps, instead of having to trek across the city or use a cab. It was a fun game, but a bit of a disappointment in a lot aspects. Expand
  30. DanielMikula
    May 19, 2008
    A good game, but not a great game. I'm not too surprised that so many journalists have jumped on the bandwagon to tout Rockstar's latest release, but it seems just a little too soon after San Andreas to give it such high ratings --- especially when they universally note that GTAIV doesn't even have the same level of content that the previous title had.

On a storytelling

On a storytelling level, the game steps on a bad foot, countering the in median res storyline of GTA3 and VC or the hook of CJ's return home in SA with an ineffectual line shouted by a nameless character. Comical? Perhaps. Certainly cocky, and I can't help but think it's directed at the audience.

Niko's a far inferior protagonist to both of the personalized avatars introduced in Vice City and San Andreas. The writers never make it clear just why Niko wants to even amass wealth nor do they even quite make it clear why it is he's so willing to abandon his resolve to 'start a new life' from wartorn Bosnia by immediately leaping into a life of murder and mayhem. Before even a month in America he's already disillusioned and making wisecracking political commentary that simply doesn't belong in a character that's meant to be believable.

The level of content pales in comparison to SA or even VC, with fewer weapons, vehicles, and land mass to explore. Furthermore, players will find themselves carrying about a large sum of cash by the end of the game with simply nothing to spend it on. Another missing component of all Grand Theft Auto games that isn't anywhere in its latest incarnation is the 'rampage' minigame, where you have a set amount of time to blow up a set number of vehicles, off as many people as possible, and other crazy sorts of mass destruction.

The positive points number in the polish, and there's plenty of it. Lots of nuanced animations, interactions, and all the comical charm laced in previous games shine in this one as well. However, the biggest star of the game seems to be the body physics of the characters in play, where characters will stumble about and react in a more releastic and less scripted way to being shot.

Even with that last point, unfortunately, Rockstar can't take any credit --- it's a licenced engine called Euphoria by NaturalMotion that deserves all the credit. Apart from this physics engine phenomenoa, the only notable 'advance' would be in the weight of the vehicles --- vehicles that have an absurdly large turning radius and have an unbelievably low amount of friction on the tires, resulting in a good number of frustrating times where turns which had been routine in any previous title now fall far out of grasp.

With a story that's hardly revolutionary and an ending that leaves players with that same letdown as from the likes of Halo 2, GTA 4 doesn't have much going for it. While it's a gorgeous game, it'd taking a few steps back from the sort of random fun from Vice City and San Andreas. Hopefully the downloadable content will fix some of this, but even in the end you'll probably wind up paying for half a game when you pick this up off the shelves. Rent it, play it, decide if you like it, but this is no 'ten out of ten' game.
  31. Dec 21, 2012
    People need to stop living the "2008" hype and start to see this game for what it really is. GTA IV is a okay game with wasted potential. This new game of the acclaimed GTA franchise could have been even more exciting and "mind-blowingly" fun than GTA San Andreas, but it fails miserably for the sake of "realism". Dear Rockstar, if i wanted to eat a hotdog on the f#cking street, talk on thePeople need to stop living the "2008" hype and start to see this game for what it really is. GTA IV is a okay game with wasted potential. This new game of the acclaimed GTA franchise could have been even more exciting and "mind-blowingly" fun than GTA San Andreas, but it fails miserably for the sake of "realism". Dear Rockstar, if i wanted to eat a hotdog on the f#cking street, talk on the phone with people that i don't care about; going to lan houses and forced to go to extremely boring places like theaters i would have done it. Why i didn't make any of those activities ? Because they are BORING! That's why i play videogames. I admit that GTA San Andreas was compromised with reality at a certain level, but it also gave you full character costumization; the possibility of buying houses; learn karate movements; costumize cars; fly airplanes; awesome radio stations; much more cool places to explore along with interesting characters and missions. GTA IV doesnt have any of that, instead, we have boring stuff like playing darts and surf on the internet. Actually, you won't remember almost anything of the game besides the graphics, city and multiplayer. Nearly all the characters are boring or just irritating. God, i hate Roman so much that i would be able to punch a kid right in the face if that could shut Roman's mouth permanently. I also can't stand the "overweighted" accent of Niko Bellic, despite of how hard i tried to like him. Most of the other characters are always asking favors in desesperate and annoying ways. In GTA San Andreas, the missions with Sweet felt natural, like if you were helping a friend. In GTA IV, people sometimes screams(literally) for help as if you owe them a favor or something like that. Maybe i'm being too nostalgic, but the thing is that GTA SA was way more fun and had much more likeable characters (except for Catalina). The great part of the missions in GTA IV follows the logic: "get a car - go to a place - kill thousands of people - return", with that "little to no variety" you can get easily bored after a couple of hours. The city is brown and ugly, sorry but it's true. The "euphoria" thing makes Niko move sooo slow that is almost painful to watch. "Because that's realistic" - Rockstar would have think. The combat system is an improvement over the old GTA games but the super slow "pseudo-realistic" movements ruins the flow of the battles. If all of this would not be bad enough, the frame rate is always an issue. Multiplayer is multiplayer. Let's be honest, you know what to expect: "deathmatch","team deathmatch", a "sandbox" multiplayer mode where little psycopath kids can have fun by creating hell on earth on NY streets and etc. Even 7 for this game feels like a generosity, but the game can be actually fun sometimes. I'm glad to see at least a 7.9 user score on metacritic, it means that not all the people here have "half-brain". If most people out there where more critic with these game, we wouldn't be living on this "over-casualizated attack of the modern warfare clones " age of videogame industry. Expand
  32. ChristopherK.
    May 13, 2008
    An extraordinarily impressive virtual world, very interesting, but not as fun as it could be. The character and vehicle don't seem much improved on San Andreas and the gritty realism causes the sandbox feel that made the GTA series legendary to go away.
  33. MarkH.
    May 5, 2008
    Intense game, but VERY glitchy, lots of popup, unplayable at times, and long load times. Taken it back and swapped it for the better PS3 version. If you have the choice between both versions, get the PS3 one (9/10 on my rating, with much less graphical issues, and much shorter load times)
  34. SimonA
    Nov 25, 2009
    It's a pretty good game but it's the most overrated game ever. The graphics are nice but the feel in the game aren't as good as it was in San Andreas or Vice City. I sometimes play San Andreas and just drive around having fun. I have no desire to do that after i'm finished with the story in Gta IV. The special effects and the story is good but it's nothing fun to It's a pretty good game but it's the most overrated game ever. The graphics are nice but the feel in the game aren't as good as it was in San Andreas or Vice City. I sometimes play San Andreas and just drive around having fun. I have no desire to do that after i'm finished with the story in Gta IV. The special effects and the story is good but it's nothing fun to do besides the story (Killing pigeons for the hell of it isn't my idea of fun). Expand
  35. ChrisC.
    Jun 6, 2008
    It's not great. It's not awful. Just repetetive and boring like Assassin's Creed- I was excited but then when I lost my game save it seemed like a chore to play so I stopped. I'd say that any game that says it offers so much yet only a small percentage of people who play it actually experience it, then I'd say it's not worth full price. I'm confused why It's not great. It's not awful. Just repetetive and boring like Assassin's Creed- I was excited but then when I lost my game save it seemed like a chore to play so I stopped. I'd say that any game that says it offers so much yet only a small percentage of people who play it actually experience it, then I'd say it's not worth full price. I'm confused why anyone makes excuses for this game. Do they own stock in the company? One more thing, I have in the past been hired to 'fill' user reviews on here and yahoo with a team so don't trust any reviews that are 10's on public forums. It's an industry practice that falls under marketing/pr. to fill in gaps so that a game doesn't track poorly. Remember, people get paid on how well a game or movie's scores are on here. Expand
  36. AnthonyMartin
    Jul 6, 2008
    98 out of 100 ?? WTF?? whatever your critics are smoking is probably used to kill roaches ... Are you kidding ? The cops show up in battalion strength instantly and are impervious to gunfire. And yes the cars do drive like a teflon brick on ice in zero-G. The AI is dumber than cornflakes : If you can find just the right spot under a pier where the majik helicopters can't rape you,98 out of 100 ?? WTF?? whatever your critics are smoking is probably used to kill roaches ... Are you kidding ? The cops show up in battalion strength instantly and are impervious to gunfire. And yes the cars do drive like a teflon brick on ice in zero-G. The AI is dumber than cornflakes : If you can find just the right spot under a pier where the majik helicopters can't rape you, you can watch the cops teleport near your location and then mindlessly charge at you in waves, when of course they are not ramming thier cars into each other. The lazy Rockstar developers just compensated for stupid AI by giving them GOD powers, a very very old trick. Did you guys actually play this game ? Or is it that you are on Rockstar's payroll dude? Expand
  37. Oct 2, 2010
    It lacks everything that San Andreas was and whenever they make a new GTA of course it has to live up the expectations of the last game. I feel like it went a step backwards. The city is dull and forgettable, Niko is boring, barely customizable and every other character is painfully plain. The DLC titles however, are amazing, instead of GTAIV, i would suggest buying the The Lost and DamnedIt lacks everything that San Andreas was and whenever they make a new GTA of course it has to live up the expectations of the last game. I feel like it went a step backwards. The city is dull and forgettable, Niko is boring, barely customizable and every other character is painfully plain. The DLC titles however, are amazing, instead of GTAIV, i would suggest buying the The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, as they define what a GTA game should be.. unique and a hell of a lot of fun. Expand
  38. NikoBelic
    Apr 25, 2008
    i Played this game.
    is utterly boring
    im sure they paid all the reviewers to give high scores the game is so similar to past gta it has only better grapics even the missions are the same!! crap i was bored in 30 minutes also they don't have some options for example no gym so u cant change the appearence of the main character what a letdown! i thought this
    i Played this game.
    is utterly boring

im sure they paid all the reviewers to give high scores
    the game is so similar to past gta
    it has only better grapics
    even the missions are the same!!

crap

i was bored in 30 minutes

also they don't have some options

for example no gym

so u cant change the appearence of the main character
    what a letdown!

i thought this games would offer more options but...

im dissapointed

if it was the first gta it would easilly get a 9/10

but now...

a 5 is enough
  39. olivermartin
    May 28, 2008
    this game is good. im not that far into it and i hope it will get better, but at the moment i am board of the lackluster missions (drive there then hear and maybe shoot a few people on the way) so far theres no real diffrence in the missions. i have herd that there ment to get better but why should i have to do 20 boring missions just to get to the good ones. the world looks verythis game is good. im not that far into it and i hope it will get better, but at the moment i am board of the lackluster missions (drive there then hear and maybe shoot a few people on the way) so far theres no real diffrence in the missions. i have herd that there ment to get better but why should i have to do 20 boring missions just to get to the good ones. the world looks very impressive but to be honeset so far there isn't a huge deall to do at least thats rally fun. (taking my friends and girlfriends out is a real chore, not that you have to do them). the police side missions are enjoyable however. multi player is the best part of this game and has been talked about to death so im not going to. alot of people have said how great the lead character is but i dont really care about him and why should i when he dosn't show any real emotion. the vehicles are the best of the series however the new camera angle is a real let down, you do get used to it but its a real pain going around corners you cant really see whats there untill you have ether hit somthing or untill your well passed the corner. The handling of the poorest cars is down right shocking the is no point in them having a handbrake because even if your driving at a normal speed you fly round doing at least a 180 degree turn and with the poor camera angle you just end up looking at the front of your car. now there are a lot of very good things about this game and i have just stuck to the negatives, as alot of you will have a go at me for doing. but a game that has got this much high prase and so many 10 out of 10s should not really have this many negatives. should it? Expand
  40. rhe
    Oct 25, 2010
    While this game has an excellently realised and altogether human protagonist, a brilliant cast of characters, some cutting edge graphical achievements with one of the best physics engines in gaming today and some stellar voice actors. The only reason I would buy GTA 4 is the insane amount of stuff that you can do outside of the missions and this is where it falls short because the truth isWhile this game has an excellently realised and altogether human protagonist, a brilliant cast of characters, some cutting edge graphical achievements with one of the best physics engines in gaming today and some stellar voice actors. The only reason I would buy GTA 4 is the insane amount of stuff that you can do outside of the missions and this is where it falls short because the truth is that I wanted this game to be as good as GTA: San Andreas if not better and when I popped GTA 4 into my 360 I couldn't help but get bored because there just isn't enough in GTA 4 outside of the missions to keep you busy and while some may say don't compare it to GTA: SA you really can't help it because you expect it to be better than its predecessor but even GTA: SA had more stuff to keep you busy outside of missions. Expand
  41. Nov 26, 2010
    average. not the best gta by quite some way. how this is the best reviewd x360 game on metacritic ever I don't know. Not a disaster, has its moments, but still a very average game
  42. crg
    Jan 2, 2010
    Great set piece & immersive world & incredible attention to detail. Excellent story telling & voice acting... but compared to SA its was not as much fun. The mission design was so repetitive, that I wasn't able to play more then a few missions within one session. Beside of that, the game was too easy. And the final mission(s) didn't feel final at all.. I thought Rockstar is Great set piece & immersive world & incredible attention to detail. Excellent story telling & voice acting... but compared to SA its was not as much fun. The mission design was so repetitive, that I wasn't able to play more then a few missions within one session. Beside of that, the game was too easy. And the final mission(s) didn't feel final at all.. I thought Rockstar is trying to fuck with me, when I saw the credits roll ... IMO overrated. Expand
  43. PeterHamilton
    Jul 25, 2008
    Here's what I LOVED about VC- radio controlled stuff, Lance Vance- that **** was funny, the soundtrack, helicopter missions, motorbike missions, Lovefist, all manner of retarded missions and side missions, the motorcycle gang race, the feeling when you finally get the mansion.But, most of all, the HUMOUR. SA- bmx, mountain bike missions, the jet pack, the feeling you were on a missionHere's what I LOVED about VC- radio controlled stuff, Lance Vance- that **** was funny, the soundtrack, helicopter missions, motorbike missions, Lovefist, all manner of retarded missions and side missions, the motorcycle gang race, the feeling when you finally get the mansion.But, most of all, the HUMOUR. SA- bmx, mountain bike missions, the jet pack, the feeling you were on a mission with freinds, the forest town of Pine Falls, the country music channel, the flying, that annoying rapper who worked at Cluckin Bell, even thinking back on all this makes me laugh. I played both games 4 times through. Sadly, GTA4 has none of the FUN- it is just mission after mission of shooting people for employers you don't care about. The city is claustrophobic, Niko is a depressing psycho, the radio is awful, the side missions are drive rubbish car and shoot, and the motorbikes are not worth riding. What happened to the fun? What happened to the characters? The humour? nice graphics, pity about the 'game'. It's like playing an endless game of 'snap', just with fancy looking cards. Rockstar- could do better. Expand
  44. waxdeluxe
    Oct 11, 2009
    The most overrated game in history. Yes the city is impressive, but that dont´t cut it for me. The story? No, I dont care about Nico, why should I? Actually the extra downloadable content is more interesting. To bad that PS3 owners wont get to play these.
    Its not a bad game, but it aint a must. Sorry.
  45. TimmyC
    Jan 17, 2009
    Considering the hype and acclaim, this was an extremely disappointing game as far as the GTA series go. Aside from the graphics and overall feel of the game, it feels like a huge step back. Compared to the size, depth and variety of San Andreas, this game comes up extremely short. Character and car customizations are essentially gone along with the planes and bikes. The missions are Considering the hype and acclaim, this was an extremely disappointing game as far as the GTA series go. Aside from the graphics and overall feel of the game, it feels like a huge step back. Compared to the size, depth and variety of San Andreas, this game comes up extremely short. Character and car customizations are essentially gone along with the planes and bikes. The missions are pretty cut and dry (chase this guy and kill this guy). There are no rewards besides xbox achievements and 100% completion for doing most anything. The available arsenal is stripped down with very few weapon choices It seems like much of the effort that was put into the fun free-for-all feel of SA and VC was transferred over to things like dating and bowling, which are more annoying than fun. I don't play GTA to date girls and take friends to play pool. I'll play the Sims if I want to do that. I play it because of the almost limitless opportunities to create havoc and humor. Additionally, the single player campaign and story is pretty decent, though not quite as good as VC and SA. I wouldn't say it's disappointing however. Overall, it's still a GTA game. It's great fun and has a pretty solid campaign. What I don't understand is why Rockstar seems to be putting a limit on how fun the game should be. San Andreas was far from broke, so I don't know what they were trying to fix by stripping it down. My only guess and hope is that they want the room to hype up future releases. Lowering the bar so that you can raise it later isn't progress, and I'd expect Rockstar to know better. Expand
  46. Kim
    May 18, 2009
    I wanted to love GTA IV, I did. The controls were a bit unfortunate, the friend system is the most annoying game feature since Otis the janitor in Dead Rising, and all of my favourite parts of the GTA series (especially San Andreas) have seemingly run away to elope with Saints Row 2.
  47. TerrenceK
    May 2, 2009
    If you have already played a 3d GTA game, you will probably agree with me that this game is more of a step backwards than a step forwards. In terms of what it adds to the series, there are better graphics and multilayer mode (finally!). However the new combat system takes away from the multiplayer aspect (not that the old system would have been better). Compared to games like the COD If you have already played a 3d GTA game, you will probably agree with me that this game is more of a step backwards than a step forwards. In terms of what it adds to the series, there are better graphics and multilayer mode (finally!). However the new combat system takes away from the multiplayer aspect (not that the old system would have been better). Compared to games like the COD series the controls are too awkward and low intensity for multiplayer to be very interesting. Even RE5 has better controls, and basically all it does is give you a laser sight to see where you are shooting. I have always believed that graphics are not a big deal and developers spend too much on something that is not really going to make the game more fun. This being said, one must consider all the things that were lost from GTA Sand Andreas. The selection of weapons has been greatly reduced. All the RPG elements were removed (like getting stronger by working out, getting more driving/shooting skill etc) The selection of vehicle types has been reduced (no RC bombers with real weapons, jetpacks, tanks etc) To me the game was just a huge disappointment. If youve never played GTA before you probably will be impressed. But if you have you will probably see this as a rehash of the first 3d grand theft auto with slightly better graphics. Expand
  48. JoshuaF
    Jun 16, 2009
    Everything about this game was good except for the constant running around looking for health and body armor, lack of weapons, vehicle variety, easy death. It's almost impossible to go from mission to mission without having to stop and buy body armor. And most missions will be nearly impossible to complete without it. It seems like they spent so much time trying to get the game to Everything about this game was good except for the constant running around looking for health and body armor, lack of weapons, vehicle variety, easy death. It's almost impossible to go from mission to mission without having to stop and buy body armor. And most missions will be nearly impossible to complete without it. It seems like they spent so much time trying to get the game to look pretty and forgot what GTA3 and San Andreas were like. I enjoyed Crackdown more then this game that's why I traded GTA4 in and kept Crackdown. Expand
  49. Jon
    Jun 9, 2009
    Excellent fun when just blowing stuff up; not so fun when your doing missions. Some of them (like "Three Leaf Clover") are excellent, but many of them are repeatative "go whack this guy" type stuff. Multiplayer over Live was an utter disappointment. It pretty much sucked. Overall, a good game but you may get board of it over the many hours you'll put into it.
  50. VicM
    Jul 26, 2009
    GTA IV is a very well done game, some of the missions being excellent, others being repetitive (go there, kill some people and come back). The story is good, but not the best GTA story. Why so many features left out of the game? Why so many things that were expected, hinted, highly wanted and even written about in magazine articles not in? GTA IV is a game which could have been an GTA IV is a very well done game, some of the missions being excellent, others being repetitive (go there, kill some people and come back). The story is good, but not the best GTA story. Why so many features left out of the game? Why so many things that were expected, hinted, highly wanted and even written about in magazine articles not in? GTA IV is a game which could have been an absolute block buster, that had a real chance of being BEST GAME EVER, but it is a flawed game, which is undecided as to it's approach- realism or fun? Expand
  51. AdamB.
    Sep 2, 2009
    I fail to understand how this game could score a perfect 10, much less a higher score than the much more enjoyable Saints Row 2. The graphics are bland, the characters are forgettable, there's not much customization, and the missions are the standard "pizza delivery" fare the series is known for. On the plus side the multiplayer is pretty fun.
  52. IIIIIIIIIIIIIssssss
    Jul 31, 2009
    This game was good but nowhere near as fun as GTA San Andreas. The story and graphics were good but after the main missions are complete this game is borning. There are not enough rewards, not enogh variety in weaponairy or vehicles. Where is the Hunter(Military Helicopter) Rhino(Tank) or (Hydra) Fighter Jet. Where are gang wars or Hot Ring Racing. Too realistic reccommended only forThis game was good but nowhere near as fun as GTA San Andreas. The story and graphics were good but after the main missions are complete this game is borning. There are not enough rewards, not enogh variety in weaponairy or vehicles. Where is the Hunter(Military Helicopter) Rhino(Tank) or (Hydra) Fighter Jet. Where are gang wars or Hot Ring Racing. Too realistic reccommended only for rental. The critics have overrated the game. Expand
  53. Apr 27, 2011
    Story mode is boring, stopped 30minutes in. Basicly you are driving people around town and then shooting a couple dudes and repeating the same garbage over and over. Free roam and Online play is the only way I found any entertainment. Online is a bit glitchy but runs smooth enough to enjoy. Game is worth buying, only $19.99 now.
  54. Aug 18, 2011
    The graphics are good, voice acting is bad (I mean Russian accents), cutscenes look bad, no checkpoints in missions, fun to explore the city. Basically, this is just above average open world game, Just Cause 2 is better.
  55. Mar 7, 2012
    It was on ok game. Definitely not the best in the series. I much prefer San Andreas or Vice City to this game. I am hoping the next one in the series is more fun. I have moved onto a far more fun game, Saints Row
  56. Jan 17, 2012
    overhyped,overrated. Also, xbox version looks like a donkey's butthole. Its not a bad game, but many of GTA IV's missions are pretty bland. The game gets points for good voice acting, and having a relatively large open world. I would have rated it an 8, but damn, the graphics are bad on xbox.
  57. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 6/10 Gameplay: 8/10 Story: 7/10 Voice acting: 7/10 Enjoyment: 6/10 = 6.8 (good)
    The graphics are just a blurry mess, I know it came out 5 years ago but even then it just looked like a blurry mess. Although games aren't all about the graphics so lets talk about the game.
    This is not Grand Theft Auto! This is Niko's Chavy Day Out Simulator. This is nothing like the others except it's an open world in an American city. Where's the funny characters? Where's the funny humor? Where's the funny?
    GTA 5 please bring back the funny.
    Thanks for reading and I'll JackYaLater.
  58. Apr 16, 2013
    Holy hot hell what is with all these inflated reviews of this game?! The game was distinctly average at best! The best thing in this game is playing it multiplayer and just messing around with some friends. Except for that, this game was good, but not the best. San Andreas was the best of the series, this one was probably the worst.
  59. BenC.
    Oct 8, 2008
    Good game, but bad combat controls, slow framerates, frustrating missions. If you have a good gaming PC, I'd wait for the PC version.
  60. ShainE.
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is a good game. However, it has some technical problems which are surprisingly severe. I really expected a better finished product. Far worse technical issues than other recent games have been crucified over. Euphoria engine is great in some places, but really awkward in others. Still, it adds a bit more life to the streets. I do like how the aiming system has improved, multiplayer This is a good game. However, it has some technical problems which are surprisingly severe. I really expected a better finished product. Far worse technical issues than other recent games have been crucified over. Euphoria engine is great in some places, but really awkward in others. Still, it adds a bit more life to the streets. I do like how the aiming system has improved, multiplayer is fun although buggy, and the story is above par for GTA. Expand
  61. Matt
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's GTA with a new story and new graphics. Not a 10 out of 10. Graphics are average, not as much freedom as Crackdown and the music is nowhere near as good as Vice City's. Good points are attention to detail, cinematography, and sound effects. The driving is also very good, loose and fluid control and great damage modelling.
  62. Target
    May 1, 2008
    Very disapointing! Does not live up to the hype.
  63. MattL.
    May 6, 2008
    It's just like every other GTA game with a bunch of extra, they didn't raise the bar here or anything. It's insanely repetitive and designed to make you play the game twice for achievement. News flash developers, if your game needs achievements to make me play it again, it's not worth playing the first time. Multiplayer is mediocre and uncreative. It's riddled It's just like every other GTA game with a bunch of extra, they didn't raise the bar here or anything. It's insanely repetitive and designed to make you play the game twice for achievement. News flash developers, if your game needs achievements to make me play it again, it's not worth playing the first time. Multiplayer is mediocre and uncreative. It's riddled with mad design and because of the "seamless" design you often spend more time on load screens then you do playing when you get one of the two popular connection problems. When you look at games like Halo, Call of Duty 4, and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.. the mutliplayer of GTA is a real let down. The game was definitely overhyped and Rockstar should have kept it until the holiday 2008. Expand
  64. EricR.
    Feb 1, 2010
    At the end of the day the game did a good job of keeping me entertained until its closure, but nothing about it made me go "wow" or "that should be in other games." I guess most notably the soundtrack was my favorite aspect, otherwise I'd just rent it.
  65. KwyjiboJ.
    May 2, 2008
    Average game. This could have been so much better had they made the colours brighter, introduced more power ups, and put waggle in. My grandma can't join in, if only it was for the Wii, the world's most powerful console.
  66. MichaelR.
    May 2, 2008
    The graphics are average.Lots of boring missions driving around from place to place.The detail in the game is excellent and its the most realistic game ever made although it could have been even more realistic.
  67. Impindahizzy
    May 22, 2008
    Wildly overrated in my opinion. The one player game stuns at first, but the repetitive nature of most missions soon begin to annoy. To be honest I prefer my games more 'arcadey' (if that's a proper word?) and actually prefered Crackdown to this!! So it's really not to my taste. However, the reason I gave it 7 out of 10 is for the online multi-player modes which are Wildly overrated in my opinion. The one player game stuns at first, but the repetitive nature of most missions soon begin to annoy. To be honest I prefer my games more 'arcadey' (if that's a proper word?) and actually prefered Crackdown to this!! So it's really not to my taste. However, the reason I gave it 7 out of 10 is for the online multi-player modes which are excellent and great fun to play (doesn't come close to the likes of CoD4 and Halo 3 online though), otherwise I would have given it 5 out of 10. To sum up, it's not to my taste but I can understand why the game is well liked. Overrated. Expand
  68. ILikeGamesSmooth
    May 3, 2008
    A great game, a stunning work of art for Rockstar but frankly neither of the consoles are powerful enough for the game to be done justice to. I played PS3 version for quite some time then sold it because as much as I loved the content I could not contend with the blurred graphics (from scaling) the bad aliasing and especially the low low frame rate (may times sub 20fps esp at times when A great game, a stunning work of art for Rockstar but frankly neither of the consoles are powerful enough for the game to be done justice to. I played PS3 version for quite some time then sold it because as much as I loved the content I could not contend with the blurred graphics (from scaling) the bad aliasing and especially the low low frame rate (may times sub 20fps esp at times when you need it to be high/smooth ie during car chases/shoot outs). If only it ran as smooth as I'm sure Rockstar would have liked then it would be gaming nirvana (or at least sandbox gaming nirvana as it's not without it's gameplay faults either). I loved Vice City and I ran it on PC fast and with antialiasing and of course it looks very bad next to GTAIV but it FELT good to interact with as it was fast (at least on a fast PC). I hope for a PC version of IV by the end of the year and will rebuy it and run it as it deserves to be run without constant visual reminders that you are playing a game and a poor performing one at that. And it's understandable that the consoles are hampered by this work of art, it's just too much for them to handle right now and maybe R* should have scaled their design back a bit and got the frame rates and resolutions rock solid first as interaction will always be more important than 'cool features' in games. I'm hoping to give 10/10 on PC if it scales well and allows better clarity in the graphics. As it stands on PS3 i'd give it a 7 due to it's technical burden and tiresome interaction, but probably a 9 for the game itself if those restraints were absent. Expand
  69. BOBJ
    May 3, 2008
    Just GTA They've done it before. 10/10? Overrated. Still it's GTA if you played one you played all. They just added a really good multiplayer.
  70. SteveK.
    May 4, 2008
    this whole review debacle is a classic case of game magazines and reviewers getting doped up on the hype and extreme expectations that surrounds some games in the run-up to the release. gta4 certainly is a good game, but very far from perfection, even far from being excellent. it's very enjoyable sometimes and sometimes outright dull. why countless reviewers have overlooked the this whole review debacle is a classic case of game magazines and reviewers getting doped up on the hype and extreme expectations that surrounds some games in the run-up to the release. gta4 certainly is a good game, but very far from perfection, even far from being excellent. it's very enjoyable sometimes and sometimes outright dull. why countless reviewers have overlooked the glaring flaws is beyond me. a review score shouldn't rate effort and ambition. gameplay is king and in regard to that gta4 is certainly above average, but falls short of greatness. a healthy 7 points, I say. Expand
  71. TruNorth
    May 4, 2008
    Not the best, but good. The radar map is too small, so is the cell phone.(on a 47" 1080p)The graphics are anything but stunning, I was expecting a sharpness that wasn't there. now of course you can go anywhere and do alot, but If I want to wine and dine a girl, it'll be a real one. As for the story, now this is the best part of the game. I have only rented this game and will Not the best, but good. The radar map is too small, so is the cell phone.(on a 47" 1080p)The graphics are anything but stunning, I was expecting a sharpness that wasn't there. now of course you can go anywhere and do alot, but If I want to wine and dine a girl, it'll be a real one. As for the story, now this is the best part of the game. I have only rented this game and will only buy it at a discounted price. The one thing I hope is that other developers don't see this a what they can get away with and make clones that look even worst then GTA IV. Expand
  72. JaceN.
    May 5, 2008
    In an odd "apples & oranges" kind of way id compare GTA4 to The Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion. Both are in their fourth official outing (minus side stories), both received major pre-release overhype, both sold through the roof, both retain all the problems previous episodes suffered from, both focussed more on technology than what made people love the series in the first place and both In an odd "apples & oranges" kind of way id compare GTA4 to The Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion. Both are in their fourth official outing (minus side stories), both received major pre-release overhype, both sold through the roof, both retain all the problems previous episodes suffered from, both focussed more on technology than what made people love the series in the first place and both sacrificed features previous episodes had for no apparent reason. Although GTA4 goes one better in that it...at times...can frustrate you to despair! Combat is slow and stilted, driving often ends in a lightpole/12-car smashdance and the new pay & spray rules make its completely worthless. Its a well made game no doubt and worth a high score but its for workmanships sake alone. Im hoping 5 if and when it appears will be more of a leap forward instead of sideways with more window dressing. Expand
  73. Bernard
    May 7, 2008
    am afraid to say that this is just GTA3 in a pretty dress, that isn't such a bad thing, but its a case of DON'T BELEAVE THE HYPE!...every single fault with GTA 3, the pop ups, the twichy controls, the in-door enviroments, the unfair mission structure, the cops that seem to able to lock a tractor beam on to the back of your car an follow you were ever you go, are still all there, am afraid to say that this is just GTA3 in a pretty dress, that isn't such a bad thing, but its a case of DON'T BELEAVE THE HYPE!...every single fault with GTA 3, the pop ups, the twichy controls, the in-door enviroments, the unfair mission structure, the cops that seem to able to lock a tractor beam on to the back of your car an follow you were ever you go, are still all there, a lot of reviewers are talking about the refinement of the controls but as far as i can tell there is none, the aimming system is still "lock on", the cover system feels like an afterthought, GTA 3 really was a gaming landmark an for this you forgave all the promblems an enjoyed the sheer amount of freedom the PS2 game gave you....if your a GTA fan and have played the games that came before this will be nothing new at all. that said its GTA so if your feeling a little bit retro...an fancy reliving the joys an the sorrows of the series then give it a go...but i would recommend that you put GTA 3 in your PS2 or your x box an just to remind yourself of what to expect from its replacement.... it really should be called GTA 3 HD. Expand
  74. LarryH.
    Jul 2, 2008
    If you are looking for something new, you certainly will not find it here. If you are looking for the newest version of the same game you've bought multiple times by now, albeit with improved graphics, your prayers have been answered. Stealing cars, killing cops, picking up hookers, and mediocre mini-games that you will quickly grow bored with serve as your main distractions from the If you are looking for something new, you certainly will not find it here. If you are looking for the newest version of the same game you've bought multiple times by now, albeit with improved graphics, your prayers have been answered. Stealing cars, killing cops, picking up hookers, and mediocre mini-games that you will quickly grow bored with serve as your main distractions from the tedious collection of Point A to Point B missions. This game does not deserve to be the highest rated game on the Xbox 360. Do not buy into the hype. Expand
  75. Vultan
    Jul 30, 2008
    Totally overated. Cannot believe all the 9 and 10's this game's got. Repetitive and the graphics are nowhere near the best the 360 has to offer. The claims of interactivity and a fully realised city are just wrong, most of the buildings in the city cannot be entered and have horendous textures when up close. Missions repeat themselves and multiplayer no better than averageTotally overated. Cannot believe all the 9 and 10's this game's got. Repetitive and the graphics are nowhere near the best the 360 has to offer. The claims of interactivity and a fully realised city are just wrong, most of the buildings in the city cannot be entered and have horendous textures when up close. Missions repeat themselves and multiplayer no better than average FPS. Dissapointing. Expand
  76. TimBremner
    Nov 11, 2008
    This is by no means a bad game, its not a great one though either. Aside from what has already been pointed out about the uselessness of money, poor multiplayer and repetitive everything! This game was really killed (my vocabulary is very limited, I know) by the lack of enjoyment after finishing the campaign and also the developers choice to go down a more realistic path..... Bad move Rockstar.
  77. RC
    Apr 29, 2008
    It's overrated, just like the older ones.
  78. JM
    Apr 29, 2008
    Pop up framerate issues and the graphics are below PS3 version.
  79. Roger
    Apr 30, 2008
    Its got a great dynamic world with great weather effects. Its a maasive game with a great story. BUT i think the missions are a bit dull and the basic gameplay is old. Very dissapointed to be honest after all the hype. I see nothing to justify a 10/10. Im not saying its bad its just nothing special.
  80. BenL.
    Apr 30, 2008
    THis is my standpoint. They went from Grandtheft auto 3.. Straight to Grandtheft auto 4. They forgot things that they used in Vice City and San Andreas. 1. Character customization is hugely lacking in this game - San Andreas you could pick haircuts, hairstyles, colors, control the weight of your character. 2. No planes - wow San Andreas had it. 3. Multiplayer and you cant go to the strip THis is my standpoint. They went from Grandtheft auto 3.. Straight to Grandtheft auto 4. They forgot things that they used in Vice City and San Andreas. 1. Character customization is hugely lacking in this game - San Andreas you could pick haircuts, hairstyles, colors, control the weight of your character. 2. No planes - wow San Andreas had it. 3. Multiplayer and you cant go to the strip club 4. Did you learn anything from your competition Saints Row had the best character customization yet for this style of game.. Come on 5. Wow is everybody broke in New York because in San Andreas you kill someone you at least got 12 dollars - I guess you just have to stake out ATM's. 6. San Andreas you had homies that you could summon and ride along with you. Basically they had a lot of features that they just plain forgot about that made grand theft auto better then previous copies. Yes it does have mulitplayer but terrible co-op Expand
  81. TerryG.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Standard Grand Theft Auto. Graphically impressive with a robust, alive world. Really impressing. The multiplayer should've been cut down to free roam. To access MP is an insult to intuitive design and should be completely remade. I have never dealt with more frustrating Multiplayer in my life. If it wasn't for multiplayer I would give it an 8/10. It is not a 10/10 game... thats Standard Grand Theft Auto. Graphically impressive with a robust, alive world. Really impressing. The multiplayer should've been cut down to free roam. To access MP is an insult to intuitive design and should be completely remade. I have never dealt with more frustrating Multiplayer in my life. If it wasn't for multiplayer I would give it an 8/10. It is not a 10/10 game... thats just stupid game reviewer hype they just don't want to anger their customers. Expand
  82. TomJ.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Same old game with new graphics. Not worthy of all the hype.
  83. FPSMaster
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm just not seeing where all these 10/10's are coming from. I don't even see how it could manage to get an 8/10. They took out a ton of things that every other GTA game let you do to deepen the gameplay. Is there any point to free-roaming now other than to watch yourself go through a windshiield? Where are the RPG elements and hidden things to find in the environments? The I'm just not seeing where all these 10/10's are coming from. I don't even see how it could manage to get an 8/10. They took out a ton of things that every other GTA game let you do to deepen the gameplay. Is there any point to free-roaming now other than to watch yourself go through a windshiield? Where are the RPG elements and hidden things to find in the environments? The graphics are very jaggy and blurry and constantly jitter even when you're not moving. They never look clean or crisp, something Saint's Row did better in 2006.The character movement is still blocky and PS2-ishy feeling so the animations are stilted and last gen as are the character models and when you go to do something your character may or may not do what you want him to since the controls are still very much broken and very, very sluggish. Fist fighting, gun fighting and aiming are no better than before and they almost always do the exact opposite of your button inputs because again, the controls for them are very sluggish. Vehicles handle like Test Drive 5's from PS1 meaning they do whatever they want, skipping and sliding all over the place making the entire point of GTA redundant now: just stay on foot. The hyped Euphoria engine is a joke and does nothing we haven't seen a hundred times already this gen from physics engines, and in some cases seems a generation behind still. Music sucks, using the cel phone sucks and the text and screen cut-off makes things unreadable. The A.I., explosions, voice acting and lighting are decent, but the same old/same old GTA fetch-quest story mission structure is getting boring after rehashing the same game and the same missions 6 times now. MP seems thrown in at the last minute and lags to Hell and back and just doesn't fit GTA at all. I've been doing these same missions and playing this exact same game since 2001, although last gen versions destroyed this one EASILY. Rockstar can sleep well now knowing they managed to do something no other developer has been able to do up until this point: make the exact same game as the other 5 from last gen, NOT push any envelopes but instead make the same standard jump every other developer has with new hardware this gen, and still have the most overhyyped, overrated game in the history of gaming still sell out and still get PERFECT scores. If the 360 was around in 2004, this is what San Andreas would have been. Meaning there's nothing here that couldn't have been done by any developer given new hardware. Rockstar BLOWS as do "PRO" reviewers.. Expand
  84. JuhaS.
    May 1, 2008
    This came is like Saints raw 1,5 only thing beter to saints is the driving and physics engine and that ain't much.
  85. BobA.
    May 10, 2008
    Offline game play gets boring - And just little things - there is only 3 different types of clothe shops?? and I don't like 1.
  86. BobK
    May 17, 2008
    GTA4 is an incredible technical achievement; the graphics and detail of Liberty City are a marvel of modern computing. But while GTA4 is a vehicle for one of gaming's most sophisticated programming, the GTA4's gameplay outright sucks (as a fan of the series from the 2D days). In addition to the persistent GTA flaws and glitches, the game is plagued by a baffling control system GTA4 is an incredible technical achievement; the graphics and detail of Liberty City are a marvel of modern computing. But while GTA4 is a vehicle for one of gaming's most sophisticated programming, the GTA4's gameplay outright sucks (as a fan of the series from the 2D days). In addition to the persistent GTA flaws and glitches, the game is plagued by a baffling control system and a physics engine that, while realistic, has turned driving into nothing short of a chore. GTA4 is a bloated monster of a game, tailored to an outmoded philosophy of game design - namely bigger + prettier = better. Not so anymore Rockstar. Simplicity and fun are the way of the future. Would much rather play Wii Sports with my friends than this. GTA4 has everything but the essentials. Expand
  87. Josh
    May 18, 2008
    Okay, never take a game review to see whether or not you buy a game, first off, critics judge a game on popularity and hype not how good the game actually is, and that's fact. And user's, well a good portion of people are just stupid sheeps, and most people rate a game so incorrectly as to how they truely feel, I guarantee you everyone taht agve it a 10/10 played for 3 hrs with Okay, never take a game review to see whether or not you buy a game, first off, critics judge a game on popularity and hype not how good the game actually is, and that's fact. And user's, well a good portion of people are just stupid sheeps, and most people rate a game so incorrectly as to how they truely feel, I guarantee you everyone taht agve it a 10/10 played for 3 hrs with the hype image still in their head, came here and rated the game, this is more poorly overhyped than halo 3, can't anyone obtain some intelligence or logic seriously. Expand
  88. DocK.
    May 1, 2008
    Nothing special as far as I can tell, just a typical GTA game with a few graphical improvements. Story is ok so far, but overall I think the game is vastly overrated.
  89. SteveC.
    May 2, 2008
    Same game, (*yawn*), new engine. Driving is terrible but the cars look excellent, characters look awful, acting is worse than Britney Spears. Environment looks great. Missions are "okay."
  90. JamesN.
    May 20, 2008
    Repetitive, and I don't mean from the beginning of GTA IV, I mean from the first GTA. There is nothing new, no new weapons, car and missions. the look of the game has improved, but that's the only improvment. As a shooter I was dissapointed, as a driving game, its the same old race, and as an RPG, I personaly have a difficult time relating to an illegal Russan imigrant with the Repetitive, and I don't mean from the beginning of GTA IV, I mean from the first GTA. There is nothing new, no new weapons, car and missions. the look of the game has improved, but that's the only improvment. As a shooter I was dissapointed, as a driving game, its the same old race, and as an RPG, I personaly have a difficult time relating to an illegal Russan imigrant with the annoying accents and the 80's style jogging suits. Save your real cash and wait for the fith edition. Expand
  91. BruntFCA
    May 3, 2008
    A great story does not make it a great game on all accounts. I am feeling quite disappointed with the title so far; if I wanted a great story I could just watch a movie, I expect more from a game. KOTRO/Bioware/Fable etc, have been making Moral Choiceâ??s in their games for ages now, itâ??s hardly a new mechanic. So far my choices have mounted to kill someone or A great story does not make it a great game on all accounts. I am feeling quite disappointed with the title so far; if I wanted a great story I could just watch a movie, I expect more from a game. KOTRO/Bioware/Fable etc, have been making Moral Choiceâ??s in their games for ages now, itâ??s hardly a new mechanic. So far my choices have mounted to kill someone or notâ?¦deep. NO matter how amazingly good/twist the end is, I expect to have fun and innovation **along the way**, I donâ??t see how having a great ending should allow a game to get such hire scores. From what I see so far Go here, shoot that person etc gameplay Few real interactive places to go in an otherwise impressive looking city Very few interaction with NPC outside of scripted NPC Money is almost meaningless. no homes to buy, no territory. No flying, no hair customization/car customization. Insane/Outgragoes slapstick humor of SA gone. In SA its not problem that the protagonist is a Psycho since its such a spoof. SO far I see GTAIV taking itsleft a bit too seriously (TV adds aside, Republican space rangers are gold). The main guy is an almost Psycopathic killer with some vague loyalty thing. Expand
  92. MichaelB.
    May 3, 2008
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the tremendous amount of violence, swearing, and immorality that goes on in this game. Parents beware!
  93. Solidzell
    May 30, 2008
    Ok this game is not 10 not even a 9 the graphics is 6-7. this is not ps2 any more this ps3 the nextgen game system if you compare the graphics with mgs4 this would get a 5 for graphics. im starting to get pissed off at people that say this game is great because you can do anything. but the thing you do is not all that fun i rather have a smaller game with better graphics better gameplay Ok this game is not 10 not even a 9 the graphics is 6-7. this is not ps2 any more this ps3 the nextgen game system if you compare the graphics with mgs4 this would get a 5 for graphics. im starting to get pissed off at people that say this game is great because you can do anything. but the thing you do is not all that fun i rather have a smaller game with better graphics better gameplay and amazying story and i mean amazing story and bioshock is a fine example of it not just a game that has a bad graphic striper gaves u a lap dances. this is almost like sims but with the M rating and there are so many games better than this period. Expand
  94. RobK.
    May 3, 2008
    Decent. Exactly like its predecessors but with an extremely annoying physics engine (controlling Niko and driving are both unnecessarily sloppy... It's almost a chore to just go on a cruise through the city) and shiny graphics. A familiar and uninteresting storyline make it difficult to get through the game. Avoid buying this rehashed, made-up harlot of a game and rent it instead.
  95. S.A.R
    May 3, 2008
    I don't know why everybody is saying how awesome this game graphics are, they aren't the best and they aren't even near the best. The shadows just don't look right, and the trees look horrible. The game play is better than the graphics, although most of it, like watching TV, going to bars and playing pool, were just too much like reality to make it worth doing in a I don't know why everybody is saying how awesome this game graphics are, they aren't the best and they aren't even near the best. The shadows just don't look right, and the trees look horrible. The game play is better than the graphics, although most of it, like watching TV, going to bars and playing pool, were just too much like reality to make it worth doing in a video game. It all reminded me of one bad month in my life, when I used to play WOW. I suppose this is a bit biased since I don't like games set in the modern world. All in all, not worth buying, maybe renting, but not buying. Expand
  96. DimOdds
    May 3, 2008
    I bought this the day it came out, popped it in, and wow. Pretty boring. This game is so overhyped, with reviews just flaunting the fact that they had their hands on it first and you didn't. They make such a big deal about people covering their heads in the rain with newspaper, they forgot the game hasn't evolved much since Vice City. What really pisses me off is people saying I bought this the day it came out, popped it in, and wow. Pretty boring. This game is so overhyped, with reviews just flaunting the fact that they had their hands on it first and you didn't. They make such a big deal about people covering their heads in the rain with newspaper, they forgot the game hasn't evolved much since Vice City. What really pisses me off is people saying the story is comparable to movies, even art, even the best game ever. No F-ing way. Plot: Welcome to land of opportunity, blah, blah, go get this car, blah, blah, land of opportunity, blah, blah. Even Scarface was written better than this. And the voice acting is so cartoonishly retarded, like the first time you bone that chick, she gives the most unconvincing, "I'm being F'd good" pillow talk I've ever heard. I'm stilll waiting for a real adult themed game, and this ain't it. Half Life is still years beyond any game out there in terms of story and characters. Buy this if you're twelve and want to giggle. Expand
  97. BruntFCAFCA
    May 6, 2008
    Better graphics, less gameplay than prior games. Nothing to do with money, no gambling, pointless mini games, very few real buildings to enter. Boring repetative missions. It also suffers from well documented Freezing/Crashing and Pop-Up, so no way is it 10/10. Main character is a 2 dimensional psychotic loser. Most NPC are sterotypes. One the hype dies down, I think a lot of ppl are Better graphics, less gameplay than prior games. Nothing to do with money, no gambling, pointless mini games, very few real buildings to enter. Boring repetative missions. It also suffers from well documented Freezing/Crashing and Pop-Up, so no way is it 10/10. Main character is a 2 dimensional psychotic loser. Most NPC are sterotypes. One the hype dies down, I think a lot of ppl are going to trade this in. Expand
  98. LugoP.
    May 7, 2008
    I have loved some of the other GTA's. This one just feels more of the same. However, it just feels like there is more sleaze in the game. It feels like they stepped back from San Andreas with a lot of the game but they stepped forward with more of the filth. I'm surprised that there are so many people that "love" this game. I give it a 4 for single player (yes, I know, a bit I have loved some of the other GTA's. This one just feels more of the same. However, it just feels like there is more sleaze in the game. It feels like they stepped back from San Andreas with a lot of the game but they stepped forward with more of the filth. I'm surprised that there are so many people that "love" this game. I give it a 4 for single player (yes, I know, a bit steep) because it just feels like a step back. Multiplayer is quite fun but it gets old fast. I give it an 8. The avg score is a 6. I've already left this game for some of my other favorites. Expand
  99. WulfW.
    May 9, 2008
    Well the points are just for the effort but after all the hype of this and that and cut down version what do you have really nothing new just a modded up engine....Ello game so called game designers think next gen console so means you can do a lot more no more weak excuses on making crap or modded up games...Here's a idea what haven't we done for GTA lets see put more ideas like Well the points are just for the effort but after all the hype of this and that and cut down version what do you have really nothing new just a modded up engine....Ello game so called game designers think next gen console so means you can do a lot more no more weak excuses on making crap or modded up games...Here's a idea what haven't we done for GTA lets see put more ideas like able to design own characters, give them designer skills eg, gangsta hoods beef up strength, firearm skills from small arms to heavy..create a hitman so you need stealth skills, charisma etc etc, able to upgrade character on main story and online...able to create gangs, create own mafia in vice city using your online mates....stop hyping up games in the end if the game crap or boring by word of mouth it won't sell so think before you do things. Expand
  100. Cathal
    Jun 18, 2008
    its good but theres alot wrong with the game! if this is definitely not the best game ever or even this year! they didn't even add the effect that wen you beep your horn cars move out of the way! Where's the rampages??? where's the normal vigilante missions?? paramedic missions?? and the flying rats are really hard to find nd so boring finding them anyway! theres not many its good but theres alot wrong with the game! if this is definitely not the best game ever or even this year! they didn't even add the effect that wen you beep your horn cars move out of the way! Where's the rampages??? where's the normal vigilante missions?? paramedic missions?? and the flying rats are really hard to find nd so boring finding them anyway! theres not many clothes to buy! you cant even keep vehicles in your safehouse or have weapons or health at the safehouse|! Expand

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.