8.1

1. BryanM.
    Nov 26, 2007
    The thing that makes this game bad is the price of it. it is almost $100. that just is sad. why pay that when you can get almost the same game for $20 less that would be Guitar hero ll. I just dont think it is cool anymore. I mean the 1st one was good because you never seen a game like it. the 2nd was ok this is a little better and has some new stuff on it but now it is to old. just get The thing that makes this game bad is the price of it. it is almost $100. that just is sad. why pay that when you can get almost the same game for $20 less that would be Guitar hero ll. I just dont think it is cool anymore. I mean the 1st one was good because you never seen a game like it. the 2nd was ok this is a little better and has some new stuff on it but now it is to old. just get rock band, also after you beat it there is no reason to go back and play it one more time. might be fun at a party, but that is it. Expand
  2. Aug 2, 2011
    A pretty good start to the Wii versions of the game. Not impressive or fantastic, but it's worth playing most definitely. This was slightly before the very first ROCK BAND was released and Guitar Hero started copying off all their ideas like crazy, so GUITAR HERO is most original at this point.
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    I do not know what to say, Its good but not quite what I hoped. Basically Guitar Hero doesn't live the hype as Rock Band . The game is great for people that are new to the music genre but wont you play something more creative . GH and GH2 were awesome good music, fun co-op , but this installment isn't the right one.
  4. JoeshieB
    Oct 30, 2007
    Me and my roommates have been huge funs of Guitar Hero 2, so to say we were excited about Guitar 3 is an understatement. However, when we popped the game in, we were up for nothing more than disappointment.

The UI interface of Guitar Hero 3 feels nowhere near as polished or clean as the previous Guitar Hero's. But that's ok, because the game isn't about that...right? It's about the songs and the gameplay. While some of them are quite good, they aren't nearly as fun to play as songs from the previous series. Even songs we loved weren't very enjoyable to play.

Overall, I'm quite disappointed with this release, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised with the change in developers. I had long been a supporter over GH3 over Rock Band, but now it looks like I will be switching camps.
  5. J.C.
    Oct 31, 2007
    GH II for me was the pinnacle of fun for this series. The boss battles, muddy feel to hitting the notes (it requires less accuracy then GH II) and general feeling that I am playing a generic rip off of the Harmonix versions of the game (and in a way, I am) left me wanting more from GH III. I will beat the game then sell it. On a side note, I don't really care about achievements but GH II for me was the pinnacle of fun for this series. The boss battles, muddy feel to hitting the notes (it requires less accuracy then GH II) and general feeling that I am playing a generic rip off of the Harmonix versions of the game (and in a way, I am) left me wanting more from GH III. I will beat the game then sell it. On a side note, I don't really care about achievements but for "puzzle games" I think they do add value to the game play experience. GH III has some of the worst achievements I have seen. I won't belabor this point but... "Complete the game without using the Guitar Controller, use the regular xbox360 controller"... Come on! That is just stupid! Expand
  6. Chaco
    Nov 28, 2007
    I enjoyed it overall, but in the end this game needs replayablitiy. I played GH2 over at my friends house on co-op and pro-faceoff almost all the time, but even since the release of GH3 we've barely played it at all; we've even switched back to the Gh2 customs...more of the same, but with the songs I choose. The boss battles are irritating, even online is irritating with only a I enjoyed it overall, but in the end this game needs replayablitiy. I played GH2 over at my friends house on co-op and pro-faceoff almost all the time, but even since the release of GH3 we've barely played it at all; we've even switched back to the Gh2 customs...more of the same, but with the songs I choose. The boss battles are irritating, even online is irritating with only a fourth of the screen to play on. I would have liked to see hyperspeed settings online as well... Using the acoustic part of the intro in through the fire and flames just "for added difficulty" seems to be a mistake. The ho/po system has been ruined. The fun of not having to strum through part of the song has been jerked away; scattering strum notes in the middle of a giant ho/po section of a videogame because it sounds like they strummed them in real life? Pfft. At least RockBand's here now. Expand
  7. SamR.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Its basically an expansion pack that gets dull after a week of play. This series is easy to burn out on don't overplay.
  8. NickC.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Neversoft made a lot of unfortunate changes to the brilliant pacing, well-crafted note charts, look and feel of previous Guitar Hero iterations. Having completed it, I'll never go back to it. Fortunately, Rock Band will arrive soon to carry on the torch.
  9. BenD.
    Mar 11, 2008
    Fun game, boss battles are pointless don't do anything for series. WTF! why do they make you play non-guitar parts like intro in TTFAF (IT'S THE HARDEST PART OF THE SONG!!) or even in when you where young you play a keyboard part. It's not hard but stupid, and the achievements only reward the most advanced players who have no lives.
  10. WilliamT
    Jun 21, 2008
    For non-guitarists, it will generate a feeling of entertainment and challenging gameplay that will prove to be slightly addictive. For people who play real guitar, it will generate a feeling of frustration and annoyance but you'll still be caught playing it long after you swore you'd never play it again.
  11. TimC.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Something happened between Guitar hero II and III that suddenly made this series take a downturn. Songs on this game are good not great. It seems like the people who chose went for popularity over playability.
  12. TaylorC.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Neversoft ruined this series. Rock Band is the way of the future. Let Activision have their money, but if they keep milking this series with 4 games per year, the series will die.
  13. TimE.
    Nov 18, 2007
    From two to rock the eighties to 3 the game has declined in playability, battle mode is a wreck and unenjoyable guitar hero is about rockin out together having a good time, not how fast you can have the song be over. also co-op mode in multiplayer (the best mode at parties) is only available as a patch to 360 owners all other platforms get the shaft its unfortunate yes there are fewer From two to rock the eighties to 3 the game has declined in playability, battle mode is a wreck and unenjoyable guitar hero is about rockin out together having a good time, not how fast you can have the song be over. also co-op mode in multiplayer (the best mode at parties) is only available as a patch to 360 owners all other platforms get the shaft its unfortunate yes there are fewer covers but the majority of the songs do not deserve to be in a game titled legends of rock rock band gets it right its all about rockin out co-op style. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 69 Critic Reviews

The soundtrack is fantastic and the new online additions are going to take the Guitar Hero community to the next level. It really is hard to argue with any facet of the gameplay. Everything outside of the game itself, though, is in need of an overhaul as the presentation is growing a bit stale.
  2. The wireless controller and online gameplay are nicely engineered. Beyond that, it’s mostly in the same vein as the previous Guitar Hero games.
  3. While we appreciate the new star power, the new too-difficult two-player Battle mode fails to impress and the new guitar, while sturdy and reliable, feels small in comparison to Rock Band's more realistic axe. Regardless, Guitar Hero still has that addictive quality. Combine that with an excellent soundtrack and online play, this mock rock simulator will have you jamming for months.