6.9

1. Feb 6, 2013
    Disregard Formn's review. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. First off, you can't possibly be pitted against a level 31+ let alone 40+ in matchmaking unless you are also that level or higher. The game has divisions to ensure this doesn't happen, which is actually a nice feature.

Also, the balancing mechanic isn't perfect, but it certainly isn't bad. I'd estimate about 45/50 games I've played have been closely contested, with a pleasing amount reaching the time limit. In this game, your character does not get inherently stronger as it levels up your strength is determined by your items, which roll in rather frequently for you to equip, sell, or merge with other items to make them even stronger.

The controls are tight and responsive, and the menus are a breeze to navigate if you have at least half of a brain stem. Backing out of lobbies is a bit of a stumbling block, but doesn't warrant knocking this game by 7/10.

The game is simple, intuitive, balanced, and addictive while not only incentivizing teamwork, but putting it on a pedestal. Yet somehow, the game maintains a fairly casual element, subtly highlighted by the graphics and audio.

Oh, and, of course, it's free, with no real disadvantage to people who do not wish to take part in the micro transactions.
  2. Oct 15, 2012
    Its a great game to waste your time with. Thanks to the simple controls and simple interface, its easy for anyone to get involved in this game. Everyone from family members of all ages o you girlfriends can jump in on the fun.

The best part is that you really don't have to buy anything. You can still get great stuff for free and still have a pretty good time:) Only downside ive seen

Only downside ive seen is that it might get to repetitive, but that problem gets solved quite fast if you got friends whom you tag along with.

So go ahead. Download it. You wont regret it.
  3. Dec 24, 2012
    Happy Wars is free-to-play multiplayer team fortress style game that
    caters well to casual players. Yet there is a surprising amount of
    room for tactics and strategy. There are three classes, and skills are assigned randomly at the start of each 15-minute match. The game is not "pay to win" since you can earn decent items and stats in a couple of hours, but 800 Microsoft points will
    Happy Wars is free-to-play multiplayer team fortress style game that
    caters well to casual players. Yet there is a surprising amount of
    room for tactics and strategy. There are three classes, and skills are
    assigned randomly at the start of each 15-minute match. The game is
    not "pay to win" since you can earn decent items and stats in a couple
    of hours, but 800 Microsoft points will buy you enough in-game tickets
    to exchange for two complete sets of good gear and a few accessories
    to boot.

There are three ways to assault the enemy castle. All classes are
    capable of simply hammering at the castle gate until it crumbles, but
    this is very time-consuming. Stairs can be built to scale the enemy
    castle walls, but they are rather prone to being destroyed by the
    enemy. Building a battering ram to demolish the gates grants a
    permanent point of entry to the enemy castle, but the construction
    should be done in a group to ensure that it completes fast enough
    before the enemy team mounts their ballistas and reduce your hard work
    to rubble. All construction must be initiated by a cleric, but once
    underway, anyone can join in to speed up the building process.
    Finally, victory can be achieved by holding more towers than the enemy
    when the 15-minute match timer expires.

Players do seem to work together often in both attack and defence. For those of you that like support roles, there is a lot of incentive to play a cleric -- heals are very powerful, having no cooldown and always restoring health to maximum. The cleric is arguably the most demanding class to play well since
    they are responsible for healing, resurrecting, buffing, AND
    initiating the building of powerful defensive and offensive structures, so if
    you spot a good cleric in the game, be sure to thank them!

It's never hard to find a match when the servers are up and running well. Sometimes the servers do go down, though.

Happy Wars is very family-friendly with its cartoony
    graphics and sound. My wife barely knows - or cares about - the
    difference between an Xbox 360 and a PS3; this is the first video game
    I've played that has made her laugh and take an interest in the
    skirmishes that happen all over the map. Try it, and if you don't like
    it, there's nothing to lose - it's free to play. There's a fair chance
    you'll be hooked.
  4. Oct 15, 2012
    happy wars is nothing but a simple free to play game Microsoft made to see if it will indeed make money. the beta had plenty of major flaws but the final game is actually pretty awesome (if you can hold off spending all your money) the game is great with friends and there's no reason not to get it if the games free! the only issue i have occasionally is connection lost but even that seemshappy wars is nothing but a simple free to play game Microsoft made to see if it will indeed make money. the beta had plenty of major flaws but the final game is actually pretty awesome (if you can hold off spending all your money) the game is great with friends and there's no reason not to get it if the games free! the only issue i have occasionally is connection lost but even that seems to be rare. Expand
  5. Oct 27, 2012
    i dont see how anyone can give this game a negative review. happy wars is a really fun game and i can spend hours playing it. the only downsides are the bad matchmaking and the hit detection. thats it
  6. Jun 26, 2013
    It's very easy to learn, and I must say pretty addicting too. I like how you have to level up on Multiplayer to continue the Single Player storyline, it's very unique. It's fun to gather new items and upgrade others, the three classes are cool (Warrior, Cleric, and Mage) and add a needed balance to the game. I like the strategies needed to infiltrate castles, even though most people don'tIt's very easy to learn, and I must say pretty addicting too. I like how you have to level up on Multiplayer to continue the Single Player storyline, it's very unique. It's fun to gather new items and upgrade others, the three classes are cool (Warrior, Cleric, and Mage) and add a needed balance to the game. I like the strategies needed to infiltrate castles, even though most people don't use them, making battering rams and scaling the castle walls with ladders is an awesome feature. Very easy to play, very addicting, and can get surprisingly intense! And it's free, so what is there to complain about? If you don't like it, uninstall it and you've lost nothing! Expand
  7. Jul 2, 2013
    At first I didn't like the idea of having to be an Xbox Live Gold Member to play it but after 10minutes of play I was hooked and we all here agree Happy Wars is an excellent game. I myself love the team aspect of things, you can play as a lone wolf opr team up and kick butt! As well as the 3 base characters (Warrior, Cleric and Mage) you can modify and level up your weapons and itemsAt first I didn't like the idea of having to be an Xbox Live Gold Member to play it but after 10minutes of play I was hooked and we all here agree Happy Wars is an excellent game. I myself love the team aspect of things, you can play as a lone wolf opr team up and kick butt! As well as the 3 base characters (Warrior, Cleric and Mage) you can modify and level up your weapons and items further customizing and strengthening your player. There are several styles of game play, co-op where you team up and battle A.I. or Quick Match where you play other people. There is also the option to play Story Mode offline starting off with One Chapter with new chapters able to be unlocked as you rank up through the levels in online play. Expand
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    Really good game, fun, cute, addicting and its a xbox version of dota or lol.
    Its free for gold members and very very very very very very very very addicting.
  9. Oct 7, 2013
    Addictive, fun, and free...the best f2p game i've ever played and they keep making it better with good updates...at first the servers were not so good, but runs smoothly now. great fun
  10. Dec 23, 2013
    Really great game and despite the simple design and graphics style, the game is actually very tactical and the different classes all offer a different way of playing all of which are needed to win a battle any other way then through attrition. The main feature of course is its online which is extremely fun and due to the different maps most of which are very well designed with chokeReally great game and despite the simple design and graphics style, the game is actually very tactical and the different classes all offer a different way of playing all of which are needed to win a battle any other way then through attrition. The main feature of course is its online which is extremely fun and due to the different maps most of which are very well designed with choke points and turrets being well placed. The sieges are arguably the most fun with several different roles to play depending on your class. with always fifteen aside games due to the bots (don't worry the A.I in this game is actually very good) which take places in teams as you only need eight player controlled characters to play so the bots make it a lot more fast-paced which is good. there is a lackluster story and campaign which is unlocked as you rank up. There is also a co-op mode which pits you against waves in a series of normal length games the first opponents being easy and then progressing steadily harder. The developers are quite active recently they added three new classes) and add special game modes that last around a month or so which competing in gives access to special armour, weapons ect.on that note there s a huge amount of weapons, armour ,helmets ,shields ect with different stats all that can be upgraded with in game currency that is easily obtained through matches depending on the quality of the weapon there are buffs and debuffs and extra slots allowing huge customization.the matchmaking system ensures that you are never paired against people to good or to bad meaning the matches are always intense. there is a training mode that pits you and a team of A.I against a team of A.I of which you pick the difficulty level which is relatively fun although I would only use it when my inter-net's out. While of course there is currancy to be bought there is really no need to buy it although is you do you do get a big advantage from the get go meaning until you play against higher level opponents you will dominate which really is the only negative point in the game.
    Overall it is a really fun, enjoyable game that will never get old due to its easy to learn difficult to master style and the need for teamwork to be successful which you can do with friends online in private matches or just invite them to open lobbies. and with a big pay to win in the early levels you may want to cough up a few bucks although most people don't and you can get them monthly if you play everyday via the treasure map. Also since its free there is no reason not to get it right now
  11. Dec 8, 2014
    I love to play this game with a friend, as it enforces teamwork to a high degree. The classes are frustrating at first but stopping being so when you get a special class, as they are only 1.99$ and i believe it is worth it, its like a balanced game for 1.99$! I highly recommend this if you want to play a decent xbox game with 1-5 friends.
  12. Aug 21, 2018
    I'm crying because I just found this game and in a month (Steam) its being discontinued.
    I heartily recommend it because its fun, childish, light hearted, amusing, non-toxic, kid-friendly, etc.

I know when your given options of dialogue instead of having a chat box to express your loving feelings (or hatred for getting owned) people tend to dislike that. Personally, I find it more enjoyable when people aren't trolling each other, hence the resulting non-toxic comment I made above.

Gameplay itself is ridiculous (in a good way). Cartoon humour never fails to entice the gamer. Plus, visuals aren't too bad, controller support is awesome and input lag isn't present. Great.

Game modes are basically all conquest like. Which isn't bad itself but when you've played all the stages for so long you get a good sense of how the battle can play itself out and react accordingly. What I mean is its a little repetitive.

Equipment is great in my opinion. My only gripe with it is when an enemy has Lv.10 armor and your stuck with Lv.1 armor. For those of you who know what I'm talking about.. "I also almost throw my controller against the wall".

Overall its great fun. I recommend grabbing some pals, maybe family or young relatives and gaming with them, on seperate PCs of course. Sorry no 4-player split screen. Would be insane if that was possible though.
  13. Apr 9, 2019
    In Love Of memory Happy War. My Childhood Game. The Best capture the Flag Game.
  14. Jan 11, 2020
    I liked the game but need to improve the graphics and multiplayer,because it becomes annoying and repetitive

Mixed or average reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 19, 2012
    Fair free-2-play game for Xbox 360, a good effort from Japanese company Toylogic. Visual style is nice, so the humor, but netcode is poor and need to be improved.
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    Happy Wars suffers from serious technical issues that undermine an otherwise quality core experience.
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    The title developed by the guys at Toylogic combines remarkable qualities and defects which, unfortunately, push it away from a totally positive evaluation. On one hand the game is accessible and fun (at first glance), but on the other, it ends early, it's repetitive and the matches are not always adequately balanced.