6.7

1. Jun 28, 2012
    Not a bad effort, I admire the effort from Bioware especially as it is completely free of charge, I respect the fact that they listened to their fanbase and didn't try to cheat us out of our money. However, even though this is an improvement it still isn't what Bioware promised coming into Mass Effect 3, they said that every decision we made in this trilogy would effect what ending we gotNot a bad effort, I admire the effort from Bioware especially as it is completely free of charge, I respect the fact that they listened to their fanbase and didn't try to cheat us out of our money. However, even though this is an improvement it still isn't what Bioware promised coming into Mass Effect 3, they said that every decision we made in this trilogy would effect what ending we got and that is not the case which is why this only deserves an average score. Expand
  2. Jun 27, 2012
    The DLC dramatically improved from the incomplete mess of an ending that shipped with the game. That doesn't say much. The epilogue scenes do provide nice emotionally engaging visual easter eggs for long time fans in the finest tradition of RPG end credit slides. The basic incongruence between the three end choices and the heroic themes of the trilogy remain.

As ambivalent as I am

As ambivalent as I am towards this EC, I know that much outrage and emotionally draining battles between fans would have been avoided if this had been in the original game. This revised ending may or may not be enough to satisfy fans in the end but it will be the last word from the creative team on this issue. It's too early to know if the half finished tripe they shipped was indicative of what we can expect in future from Bioware or if they can return to the levels of KoToR. The most reasonable assumption is that they settle into a comfortable mediocrity of it's recent efforts like Dragon Age 2 and this extended cut.
  3. Jul 4, 2012
    I liked it until I watched the other two main endings. There is a fourth, hidden ending, which is probably the the best of them all, as it actually makes sense, but even the hidden ending is way too short to be taken seriously. All of the main endings are EXACTLY the same, with just a slight variance in the why and how, but not enough to be significant as to explain hundreds of hours ofI liked it until I watched the other two main endings. There is a fourth, hidden ending, which is probably the the best of them all, as it actually makes sense, but even the hidden ending is way too short to be taken seriously. All of the main endings are EXACTLY the same, with just a slight variance in the why and how, but not enough to be significant as to explain hundreds of hours of previous gameplay. Ever since Bioware was taken over by EA, their games have played to some unknown quantity that some group of out of touch people think is what people want out of a game. It's depressing. Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    It does try to save the ending and tries its best, but completely fixing the ending is simply impossible: that will require a full overhaul and at least some parts will have conflict with the ME3 game.

So unfortunately after their best effort, ME3's ending is still mediocre, as reflected in this score.
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    When i heard about the extended cut DLC, i thought to myself: cool, they`re going to fix the endings!

Then i read where ray muzyaka stated that the EC was little more than an explanation for what happened, and not an actual fix. And proceeded to break my copy of ME3 in half. I don`t care what bioware ''tweaked''. I don`t even care what they added. An explanation was the last thing

And proceeded to break my copy of ME3 in half. I don`t care what bioware ''tweaked''. I don`t even care what they added. An explanation was the last thing ME3s ending needed.

If my dog takes a s--t on the sidewalk, i don`t explain to the poeple who stepped in it why he did it: i clean it up.

For christs sake, why didn`t they just go with the indoctrination theory? It would have at least preserved the integrity of their series, and would have won back many of its former fans.

As it stands, there`s no future for the mass effect universe. The god childs continued existence ensures it.

Good job casey hackson!
  6. Aug 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't expect too much, and you won't be completely disappointed. I am not a software engineer, so I don't know if this is possible, but they should have just dropped the whole part with the catalyst kid and changed that. Even if it meant paying for a DLC. I would have happily paid money for a better ending. Beyond that, they do explain some of the most criticized points, like why Joker is fleeing. You can definitely tell they were trying to save money when making this. The awkward, cartoony slides of successful civilization and your allies are weird. They obviously didn't want to pull the graphics artists back into the studio for too long. There is more closure with the characters than there was before when you saw Joker staring at the new, Earth-like planet. This is isn't perfect, but Bioware tried to make the fans happy. I don't know why they ever stated that all your decisions would matter in the ending, because that is an unchangeable lie. The A, B, and C options are still the exact same. I really wish they would have tried harder originally because this doesn't make up for the overall disappointment, seeing as there is less than 6 minutes of new cutscenes. And these cutscenes are pretty much designed only to coverup the original black holes in the plot. Overall, just ok. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    This sucks. While it's a must-buy now, for all the early changes, the "extended cut" of the ending is pretty much a slap in our faces. "Hey, recall all that stuff from ME3 without me? Well, *punch* you wanna forget about it or Guido and I come back, breaka your knees." It helps DURING the campaign, but the ending is still trash, still a let down, and the story boarding instead of CGI'ingThis sucks. While it's a must-buy now, for all the early changes, the "extended cut" of the ending is pretty much a slap in our faces. "Hey, recall all that stuff from ME3 without me? Well, *punch* you wanna forget about it or Guido and I come back, breaka your knees." It helps DURING the campaign, but the ending is still trash, still a let down, and the story boarding instead of CGI'ing is really lame. Very disappointed. Expand
  8. Jun 27, 2012
    Should've been in the game to begin with. This isn't the "Extended Cut" this is simply the "Complete Game Cut." Thanks for clearing up the WTF BioWare, but too little too late.
  9. Jul 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If I had nothing else good to say about this DLC, the fact that it's free should earn this DLC a score somewhere in the green. But even more than that, the Extended Cut addresses major issues with the original ending. The whole question of what Joker was doing running away, better explanations of each choice, the option to fight, and better closure on the effects Shepherd had on the galaxy. As someone who was critical of the original ending, it's not exactly what I wanted, but it's an improvement and I appreciate the effort. Expand
  10. Aug 2, 2012
    This DLC is free so I ain't gonna urge anybody to do anything, but it seems like nothing. All it does it ''try'' to fix two or three plot-holes and that's it. It's an improvement, but doesn't go anywhere. The only part that made me feel enthralled was the final 15 seconds before the credits. The things that go wrong in the DLC are going to be obvious from moment start. The teleporting crewThis DLC is free so I ain't gonna urge anybody to do anything, but it seems like nothing. All it does it ''try'' to fix two or three plot-holes and that's it. It's an improvement, but doesn't go anywhere. The only part that made me feel enthralled was the final 15 seconds before the credits. The things that go wrong in the DLC are going to be obvious from moment start. The teleporting crew members are fixed, but it creates a new very obvious plot-hole which I cannot spoil here. The plot-hole with the victory fleet has been fixed, but also creates a new plot-hole. Some extra duologue options have been added, but those don't really explain anything especially if you get to the main villain of the game. The ending is still the same and your choices still don't matter. The colored explosions are still there, but are longer. The biggest extra you will get are pictures, yes that's right, pictures of people to make sure that you know that they are still alive and a duologue in the background talking rubbish completely off the subject. The green ending pictures look a little different cause of the green color. There is one new ending, but it's really short and has no explanation on what happened. Basically all your decisions don't matter and only the last decision is still reflected in colors. Enjoy! Expand
  11. Jun 29, 2012
    This ending should be in game in first place. Some of major plot holes was patched in Extended Cut. One can say now game is fully finished product. But still I have expected MOAR from Bioware and Mass Effect franchise, at least comparing this ending with jaw dropping Suicide Mission from Mass Effect 2. All things considered next time I will wait before pre-ordering EA game.
  12. Jun 28, 2012
    say what you want... too little, too late, didn't add/change/explain X. but they did go back, flush it out. they did add another choice, and better explain your options. they did give depth and meaning to it all and finally give Shepard the send off he/she deserved. I would have gone with a different ending myself, but i didn't write the game. it was nothing i wanted and everything isay what you want... too little, too late, didn't add/change/explain X. but they did go back, flush it out. they did add another choice, and better explain your options. they did give depth and meaning to it all and finally give Shepard the send off he/she deserved. I would have gone with a different ending myself, but i didn't write the game. it was nothing i wanted and everything i needed, so I'm happy. Expand
  13. Nov 19, 2012
    Nothing but a slideshow with some cool concept art. This changes nothing from the already horrible ending. No matter what campaign DLC BioWare may add, the ending nullifies it all making it a pointless waste of time.
  14. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible! The "explanations" of things that people didn't understand in the original ending, were pathetic! They make no sense. In one scene, Bioware managed to destroy everything we (as fans of this series, and its characters) know and have come to love about these characters. Throughout the entire game, one of the most prevalent themes was, the relationship with your squadmates (that all races can work together, while overcoming racism.....) but on a higher level you, as the antagonist, develop bonds with each of these characters that transcends all else. Conversation after conversation we see that these characters continue to care more and more for each other, and would walk to the ends of the Earth for one another. Time and time again we see that these characters have the opportunity to either not come with and aid you, but some even have the opportunity to leave, in the 3rd game, but they all choose to come with, to stand by your side at the time you need them the most. We hear them talk about the possibility that they may not come back, it's a realization fully realized. Heck, by the time the last battle takes place, most of the crew has already gone through a suicide mission with you!!! Then, at the moment of truth, injured sure, Shepard calls for an evac, and they LEAVE???? What the WHAT??? No way that happens, NO WAY Garrus leaves you to handle this on your own!
    Forget, for a second, the intense bond the characters all share (by the end of ME3) and remember that in previous battles, when your squadmates stood by your side, there was always the option to cut out and live another day. In the final battle of ME3, this was it! If they don't get the crucible fired, it's game over! So I'm expected to believe that, even though both squadmates could still walk, that because Shep is worried about the chances of their survival so he orders the evac, that they just say ok and leave, and leave the fate of all their races to one man? Wouldn't they fight till the death, like they all stated they'd do, to make sure that they did everything they possible could to stop the reapers? Sorry, this just makes no sense to me.
    Another thing that irritated me, was the cheesy still picutres, thanks for that, it looked ridiculous! And thanks, Bioware, for explaining Shepard's fate! So he's on the Citidel, it gets blown to hell and he survives, HOW??? That would have been an excellent thing to let us know about, because it makes no sense! Where is he when he takes that breath, how did he survive??? And in the original ME3 ending we see the mass Relays completely destroyed, but now only damaged? And we either hear or see that they can be fixed, aw.....how warm and fuzzy!
    What a farce, Bioware this is a FAIL! Should have had the integrity to leave the ending how they originally made it (make no mistake, these additions were not originally planned, if they were they would have been in the game from day one, no reason they wouldn't be), and left it to our imaginations like, I believe was the intent. I know what I came up with is MUCH better than being spoon-fed this crap!
  15. Jun 28, 2012
    Abomination! Should have left it alone and kept their integrity. I feel the answers we got, were cheap and really made no sense. Bioware played to the lowest common denominator and put out an insulting piece of DLC, while at the same time selling out what was left of their integrity. Boo!!!
  16. Jun 28, 2012
    HUH??? Some answers questions, some left more confusing than ever. Should have left it alone. IT, made much more sense, Bioware was handed an out and chose to ignore it and instead hand it's fans this pile of garbage!
  17. Jun 28, 2012
    The score is more of a reflection of my appreciation for Bioware's gesture of good will than the new ending itself. The ending as it was presented in game is nearly unsalvageable, but Bioware did make an effort to try and patch things up (succeeding in some places), and for that I commend them.
  18. Jun 28, 2012
    The Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut gave me all the answers and closure I was looking for. There was no "right" ending. They each had their ups and their downs, their moral grey areas, and people are arguing over which one they liked better. And that's fantastic. The fact that everyone can't really reach a clear consensus proves that Bioware really did an excellent job, and fixed up their stuff.
  19. Jun 27, 2012
    I was kinda supprised when announcement came earlier this week for this. I played through whith my original choice and was happy to see a more in depth explaination of all the events leading to Shepards choice. All my questions have been answered and Shepard got the respect he deserved in the end and your actions throughout the game are properly portrayed. Thankyou Bioware for sticking toI was kinda supprised when announcement came earlier this week for this. I played through whith my original choice and was happy to see a more in depth explaination of all the events leading to Shepards choice. All my questions have been answered and Shepard got the respect he deserved in the end and your actions throughout the game are properly portrayed. Thankyou Bioware for sticking to your guns and your word. 9 out of 10 for being free, in a reasonable amount and time and giving my Shepard a true ending. Expand
  20. Jul 2, 2012
    I thank bioware for releasing the extended cut, they could have said no, instead they chose to listen to their fans and gave us this wonderful DLC which gives the closure the series needed, adding new scenes and dialogue, all shaped by the fans feedback, even adding a new secret ending, many fans will say it's not what they wanted, but if bioware did an ending to satisfy everyone we'd haveI thank bioware for releasing the extended cut, they could have said no, instead they chose to listen to their fans and gave us this wonderful DLC which gives the closure the series needed, adding new scenes and dialogue, all shaped by the fans feedback, even adding a new secret ending, many fans will say it's not what they wanted, but if bioware did an ending to satisfy everyone we'd have 1000 different endings, the mass effect series is a great series, and now with this DLC it seals the amazing story of shepard, givin the series all the closure it needed. Expand
  21. Jun 28, 2012
    Why Bioware, WHY????? I wish I never downloaded this. Unfortunately, it's like witnessing an horrific accident, it's something you can't unsee!!!!!!
  22. Jul 3, 2012
    Exactly what I wanted from the DLC. Fills in many of the plot holes and makes sense of the endings. Adds a new ending where the cycle continues. The best thing is that is shows how the civilizations continue and rebuild depending on the final choice.
  23. Jul 3, 2012
    IGNORE THE HATERS/FANBOYS - READ SOME PROFESSIONAL CRITIC REVIEWS. Anyway, Great DLC ! Explains the endings and makes much more sense. Great job of filling in the plot holes.
  24. Jun 28, 2012
    The extended cut doesn't deserve to be fully reviewed. It literally made the horrible ending of ME3 WORSE. If I ever run into Casy Hudson or Mac Walters on the street I will hurl rotten eggs at them. 2gigabytes of download and almost 80% of it is locked content for future dlc purchase. Congratulations on killing your own franchise Bioware.
  25. Jun 29, 2012
    Bioware always seemed to have their fingers on the pulse of the fans, they knew what made us tick, how to make us laugh, love and cry.. They knew how to make us fight for the lives of our loved ones, our squadmates, our friends, hell, everyone in the galaxy with a passion. The original ending was therefore a major shock, because it exhibited none of that wisdom. It was cold, confusing andBioware always seemed to have their fingers on the pulse of the fans, they knew what made us tick, how to make us laugh, love and cry.. They knew how to make us fight for the lives of our loved ones, our squadmates, our friends, hell, everyone in the galaxy with a passion. The original ending was therefore a major shock, because it exhibited none of that wisdom. It was cold, confusing and almost entirely lacked the heart that the rest of the saga had. This Extended Cut has restored the balance, and restored my faith in Bioware. Bravo. Expand
  26. Jun 28, 2012
    This was a good thing to do - and it adds to the ending in a positive way. There is far more closure now, and a more hopeful outlook for the galaxy, as well as for Shep & Co. Bio did not have to do this - and nor did they have to release it for free. Does it render the endings perfect? No. But assuming the endings were the worst things ever in videogaming history (which they weren't imoThis was a good thing to do - and it adds to the ending in a positive way. There is far more closure now, and a more hopeful outlook for the galaxy, as well as for Shep & Co. Bio did not have to do this - and nor did they have to release it for free. Does it render the endings perfect? No. But assuming the endings were the worst things ever in videogaming history (which they weren't imo but you'd be forgiven for thinking they were given many of the reviews of the game here on metacritic) the EC makes them much, much better. Assuming the endings were kind of average but nothing special, which was the case, the EC takes them to .. well, decidedly above average :p Hence, an 8. Expand
  27. Dec 11, 2012
    This was more or less what I had originally expected to see. The extend Cut DLC isn't the best, but considering it had to be made from scratch in less than 3 months, and was free to download, it's not bad. I really find it funny how some people are complaining that it wasn't completely redone. Really?! That's perhaps asking a bit too much. We should be grateful that Bioware did this atThis was more or less what I had originally expected to see. The extend Cut DLC isn't the best, but considering it had to be made from scratch in less than 3 months, and was free to download, it's not bad. I really find it funny how some people are complaining that it wasn't completely redone. Really?! That's perhaps asking a bit too much. We should be grateful that Bioware did this at all. With this DLC I am placated. It could have been better, but I guess NO ending would have been good enough for such a brilliant trilogy. Expand
  28. Aug 10, 2013
    The extended cut comes, fixes the ending and kills the indocrination theory (thank you) I'm sorry for saying that but I'm not really a fan of the "and it was all a dream) idea but hooray new ending! Pros: fixed most plotholes, endig now cause real difference instead what's your favorite colour (red) joker has a reason to leave the battle, no need toThe extended cut comes, fixes the ending and kills the indocrination theory (thank you) I'm sorry for saying that but I'm not really a fan of the "and it was all a dream) idea but hooray new ending! Pros: fixed most plotholes, endig now cause real difference instead what's your favorite colour (red) joker has a reason to leave the battle, no need to play multiplayer as it lowers the war assets need for the Shepard breathing scene, closure, Normandy leaves planet, all your choices matter in the epilouge, fixed most complaints, ok I know you won't agree with this one but kills the "and it was all a dream", proves bioware cared what we thought and gave time and effort rather then telling us screw you like most would Cons: should of changed the ending choices cause those choices were still bull$@&t, Shepard dies in the synthesis still (at what point did the god child say it required a human sacrifice, how come the refusal endig can never be won even with loads or all the war assets, why does this have even needed to exist!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Expand
  29. Feb 12, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This DLC, while it does flesh the original endings out and explains them a bit better, does not make the endings that much better. I'm going to go through exactly why that is.

Let's start with the best possible ending you have:

- Destroy (Red): The reason why THIS is the best possible ending is because 1) you accomplished your goal of destroying the reapers and end their threat to the galaxy once and for all and 2) Shepard lives. The reason why this ending is still bad is because in order to destroy the reapers, you are actively required to genocide all synthetic life in the galaxy and that include the geth and your friend and companion, EDI. One of the few truly great moments of the campaign is when you finally broker peace between the quarians and the geth. This decision is COMPLETELY nullified by this ending.

- Control (Blue): In this ending, Shepard sacrifices himself/herself and his DNA is copied and transferred into the crucible to create an AI that has Shepard's entire personally. Shepard takes control of the reapers, ends the war, and builds the mass relays. The reason this ending sucks is 1) Shepard dies and 2) Shepard becomes the de facto dictator of the galaxy. The reapers become his/her police force and he will regulate the galaxy based on whoever he was and whoever he used to be. As Shepard puts it, he/she will "watch over them." Anyone who values their freedom, free will, or just simply wants to be left alone will immediately recoil at this decision.

3) Synthesis (Green): What used to be the worst possible ending, Synthesis has Shepard jump into a vat of energy where his/her molecules are broken down and merged with the energy of the crucible. It is dispersed throughout the galaxy and all organic and synthetic life are merged together to form one unified species. This ending is bad in several ways. 1) Shepard dies 2) it's space magic. It doesn't make sense how by dissolving your tissue and spreading it around the galaxy turns everyone and everything into a machine hybrid. It's plain dumb. 3) This decision you make is FORCED upon everyone in the galaxy. Mass Effect is a series about choice, about how the right choices will benefit you and the wrong choices will harm you and those you care about. This decision is in complete opposition to the series' main theme. You are forcing a decision onto organic and synthetic life regardless of whether or not they want it or don't want it, similar to the problem with the Control ending, it's force and that's bad. 4) Free Will dies. The inevitable consequence of merging organic beings with machines is that they will no longer have the right/capacity to truly make their own decisions. They will only act as their programming permits. This is the consequence of this choice. As all are unified into a single species, the individual dies and becomes part of a hive-mind, and the individual cannot make decisions that benefit himself/herself at the expense of the good of the rest. This is another type of authoritarianism that any freedom loving person should and would detest. 5)

- Refusal (You lose): This ending was put in to slap anyone in the face who still refused to accept any of the endings. Any sane person would, by the way, but the writers wanted to push that nail a little deeper by creating this middle-finger of an ending. This ending is what happens if Shepard refuses to make any of the choices. You choose to end the war on your terms. What happens? The reapers win, all advanced life in the galaxy dies, and the reapers win again. Some 50,000 years later, the next generation of advanced life finds Liara's memory box thing and find the schematics to the crucible. They use it and make the decision you refused to make, and in the end, your decision not only got everyone killed, but didn't even matter. This is the worst possible ending!

These ending fundamentally destroy the Mass Effect trilogy. Every decision you make is meaningless and has little to no affect on what happens. All the endings are so bad and were so poorly received that any hope for a a mass effect game that takes place after Mass Effect 3 is slim to none. Mass Effect lost a huge portion of its fanbase and BioWare needs to get them back to revive the greatness this franchise once had. The only way they could possibly do it is if they redid the endings completely. Sadly, that will likely never happen, but if it does, I, and many others, are willing to forgive the other serious problems Mass effect 3 had if only to have the opportunity for a satisfying conclusion to a dearly beloved franchise that leaves open the possibility for excellent potential stories that take place in the future of this amazing science-fiction universe.

The original endings, before the extended cut DLC, are a 1/10. This ending distinguishes them and explains them so that they are easier to understand, while they are indeed an improvement, they do not make the endings any better. Final verdict: 3/10.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic Review

1. Jun 27, 2012
    The most important aspect of the Extended Cut DLC is that BioWare didn't have to make it, nor did they have to make it for free. They could have crossed their arms and refused to change anything, but they instead acknowledged some of their fans' complaints and ultimately made the ending better.