6.0

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Mar 19, 2014
    Great game,its too short, but a big game! Excelent graphics, and i love stealth games, this is a excelent game !! The fox engine is not too god, i don't like the fox engine on the PES 2014, but $30.00 for a demo? Konami you want more money?
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    Before I bought the game, I already knew the game was going to be super short. I didn't mind the price tag on the game because all I cared about was the experience. To be honest, the stealth in this game is very smooth thanks to the FOX engine. The environments and textures are beautiful, also I played the game on the xbox 360, surprisingly it looks great even on an old console. I beatBefore I bought the game, I already knew the game was going to be super short. I didn't mind the price tag on the game because all I cared about was the experience. To be honest, the stealth in this game is very smooth thanks to the FOX engine. The environments and textures are beautiful, also I played the game on the xbox 360, surprisingly it looks great even on an old console. I beat this game in a hour, bit disappointed but its alright because the game offers side ops..side missions. Expand
  3. Jul 12, 2014
    Okay, first I would like to dispel some rumors.

This game does not take 30 minutes to complete. That is an out-and-out lie. Now, I'm sure SOME people managed to beat it on the first try in 30 minutes. The main mission anyway. Out of eight. So they completed around 1/8th of the game in 30 minutes. Now that that's out of the way, let me explain the game. Metal Gear Solid 5 has taken a
    Okay, first I would like to dispel some rumors.

Now that that's out of the way, let me explain the game. Metal Gear Solid 5 has taken a page out of Far Cry 3's book and has made a somewhat open world stealth game, complete with tagging enemies. While this works for the most part, when AI is left to roam in a base, naturally, you're going to get seen by accident by someone who turned a corner at the wrong time. MGS5 attempts to fix this problem by adding the "Reflex System". Essentially, when seen, you have about 5 seconds of slowed time to kill or knock out the offending person before he manages to shout for help.

This issue here is that you don't always have the ability to control this. All bullets have drop (including your tranq pistol that all MGS fans will know from memory), so aiming at anyone more than ten feet away is annoying and unreliable. On top of this, shooting enemies with the tranq pistol doesn't seem to affect them nearly as much as in any other MGS game. It one point, it took FIVE shots to the chest to incapacitate a guard. Realistic? Maybe. However, MGS rules have always shown that one dart can knock a guard out, it just takes a few seconds. If this is true, then it takes entirely too long for this particular affect to work.

Knocking enemies out as opposed to tranquilizing them seems to have been nerfed. In all of the other MGS games, there was a loading screen between every level. Therefore, if you were moving quickly, knocking guards out in close combat or with sleeper holds was an economical alternative to tranquilizing them with a finite amount of darts. However, because the game no longer has loading screens, knocking guards out seems to cause more harm than good. They get up after only a few minutes at most (and the main mission took me about an hour to get through). When they get up an alert is sounded instantly, for obvious reasons.

This leads to another change that I dislike: the entire Alert system of MGS has been altered. Rather than the Caution (enemies are scared, but aren't sure if you're even there), Evasion (Enemies know you're there and are actively trying to find you) and Alert (you have been seen and are under fire), now there is Caution, Combat, and Alert. Alert has essentially taken the place of Evasion, which was never properly explained to me. Also, this is no longer expressed by color or by a HUD element, but is given by a small subtitle at the bottom of the screen with no timer, meaning that strategizing around your Alert ending is difficult. Combine this with longer enemy sight lines and reflex mode that seems to be actively attempting to infuriate you at times, and you have a recipe for "are you freaking serious" moments.

The game also has added a positively infuriating rating system at the end of each mission, that confused me more than it improved my experience. I managed to sneak through a level, killing no one, never raising an alarm, and performing every single side objective, and it gave me a B ranking. Meanwhile, my friend, who had never played it, killed every single enemy he saw with an unsilenced rifle for an identical ranking. Your rank also goes down if you ever go back to a checkpoint for any reason. On top of this, the game makes you unlock more missions by performing well in previous ones. For a game as short as this to lock out content in such an aggravating way is ridiculous and should have never made it passed the drawing board. I'm all for ranking system in games, but this game seems to go out of its way to irritate and frustrate, and I hope that it doesn't make it into Phantom Pain.

Now the game isn't all bad! Not by any means! The graphics are awesome, the writing is good (if a bit goofy, but it's also Japanese), grabbing enemies now gives instructions on how to perform actions (as opposed to MGS3 and MGS4, where performing CQC, cutting throats, interrogation, etc, were never explained and required memorization for their somewhat complex inputs), performing complicated plans such as hiding in the bed of a truck to sneak into an area you want to go to is freeform and feels amazing when you pull it off, and the controls are...serviceable, let's say.

If it wasn't for the mostly-open map, adherence to realism, insulting ranking system, and reuse of content, Ground Zeroes would have been excellent. However, it's only about 5-8 hours total, and only about half of the missions are even fun, for various reasons such as "destroy the tank, but we won't tell you where the explosives are". If you want to wet your whistle for Phantom Pain, I can recommend it. However, some of you aren't going to like the changes, for sure.

Wait for a sale before you buy, and try to keep an open mind.
  4. Mar 21, 2014
    It's been a while since a game has left me this conflicted. On the one-hand, it's a mean-spirited move to charge £25-ish for what really should be a pre-order bonus for The Phantom Pain, and on the other, I can't deny I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. The controls are much smoother, the graphics held up well on my Xbox 360 and the attention detail with the sound is genuinely impressive. IIt's been a while since a game has left me this conflicted. On the one-hand, it's a mean-spirited move to charge £25-ish for what really should be a pre-order bonus for The Phantom Pain, and on the other, I can't deny I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. The controls are much smoother, the graphics held up well on my Xbox 360 and the attention detail with the sound is genuinely impressive. I finished the main 'mission' feeling that series is going in the right direction again (MGS IV was all over the place imo) and was encouraged by the more sophisticated tone/mood of the small story contained within it.

Apart from the price/length, the only thing that irked me was a cut-scene that is trying to be quite shocking and just comes off as being a bit gross. Even slightly funny if you've seen a certain animated tv show. ;D
  5. May 26, 2014
    Rich in depth and quality, if not quantity, this prologue provides an exciting peek into a potential classic. Ground Zeroes is excellent, it really is :)
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic Review

Betting on depth of mechanics over breadth of content is a gamble, but one that massively pays off. This is a muscular, versatile slice of stealth, and a great indicator of things to come.