- Summary: Nothing is as it seems in Square Enix's latest action adventure game, set in a crumbling world plagued by disease and dark, unrecognizable creatures. Players assume the role of the unyielding protagonist, NIER, resolute in his quest to discover a cure for his daughter, who is infected withNothing is as it seems in Square Enix's latest action adventure game, set in a crumbling world plagued by disease and dark, unrecognizable creatures. Players assume the role of the unyielding protagonist, NIER, resolute in his quest to discover a cure for his daughter, who is infected with the Black Scrawl virus. With powerful allies and a mysterious book, NIER encounters things that will confound even the mightiest of warriors. [Square Enix]… Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
NieR Replicant - TGS 2020 Release Date Trailer
May 3, 2018Nier must be the most severely underrated game ever released. Just look at the average metascore.
Most reviewers probably only played endingNier must be the most severely underrated game ever released. Just look at the average metascore.
Most reviewers probably only played ending A, and missed out the entire point of the game's story and themes.
It's a game you will keep thinking about for days, weeks, months after playing, it tackles themes and plays with your understanding of video games. It is simply beautiful. One of the most important games to ever be released, along with Metal Gear Solid 2 and Nier Automata.… Expand
Jan 15, 2013Nier is one of those games that will require some time and effort to fully enjoy it. I admit, the gameplay is pretty generic at times, and theNier is one of those games that will require some time and effort to fully enjoy it. I admit, the gameplay is pretty generic at times, and the graphics, while fine to me, look dated. Nier looks like what a maxed out PS2 game would look like, and I don't think that's a bad thing. The story, music, characters and locations are all absolutely fantastic. Easily the most detailed linear story based game I've ever played. While not spoiling anything, replaying the game's 2nd portion atleast once makes the overall experience much better, which adds a bit of replayability to Nier, as there are 4 endings. The storyline itself may seem dull or confusing at first, but when you reach the many twists and turns, and finally uncover the truth, you'll find that the game's very few low points were worth trudging through.
I highly recommend this game.… Expand
Mar 27, 2012One of my favorite stories in video game history, I have never been impacted so strongly by a story before, this game has characters that youOne of my favorite stories in video game history, I have never been impacted so strongly by a story before, this game has characters that you can really bond to and care about unlike many games where you don't really care whether they die or not. The second time you play through the game it gives you such a different look on everything, I have never wanted to just let a boss kill me in a game before because I felt so bad about what I was doing. The sound is amazing in this game, if you take the time to listen to the soundtrack it is one of the best I have ever experienced in a game. In-game the songs can get a little repetitive but when actually listened to in full they are beautifully written. This game may not have the best graphics but I do think they fit the setting well. The gameplay is pretty good, I never really found myself mad about the controls or anything and the boss fights are generally pretty fun. Yes, the fishing part was stupid as hell but if you get past that one part you are good to go the rest of the game. The replayabilty is pretty high I would say, if you want to get the full story at least play it quick a second time, it will change you feeling about the entire game and you only have to play the second half again. Overall this is a great game and deserves a much better score than it has. Don't listen to the bad ratings when a lot of them gave up after an hour at the fishing part, if you give this gem a chance you will be thoroughly glad you did!… Expand
Oct 10, 2016A vastly underated game, Nier has it's flaws and doesn't deliver on all it's promise and grand ambitions, but it's still one hell of a fun andA vastly underated game, Nier has it's flaws and doesn't deliver on all it's promise and grand ambitions, but it's still one hell of a fun and enjoyable game, definitely worth purchasing at a bargain price. The combat is simple but fun, the story is wonderfully bizare (as a lot of JRPGs are), and the voice acting and character banter really work great. Let's also mention the bosses - wow. Some of the boss fights are just brilliant, and it's been a long time since I enjoyed fighting a "final" boss so much. To get the most out of the game you're gonna have to play it through more than once, and this is the game's biggest weakness - the repetitive locations. The familiarity is welcome, but so many side quests have you running over old ground that you really get sick of seeing the same places after the 25 hour mark. My advice would be to play the side quests sparingly so you only do the ones which interest you, and only do what you require to earn you enough money - don't be a completionist with them or it will soon get boring. Also the one side-quest line to make sure you do complete is those relating to the lighthouse. Some are worth it, but the game would be so much better if it trimmed out around 1/3 of them and kept only the quality ones. Overall though it's a great experience, one which may not fulfill you entirely, but one which has that special magic that draws you in.… Expand
Aug 24, 2010Been playing Nier for 20hrs now and i am throughly enjoying the story and the relationships between characters,there are afew new ideas thrownBeen playing Nier for 20hrs now and i am throughly enjoying the story and the relationships between characters,there are afew new ideas thrown in to the rpg pot,some work some dont,also the apperence of the old tiersome back and forth side quest that Square keeps hanging on to which is just lazy and anoying at times mar the experience but the plus points of Nier keep you playing long enough for you to become hooked to the story and see whats going to will happen next.Overall Nier is a good game and with its Â£9.99 price tag is a good enough distraction till some big hiters come out later this year.… Expand
May 10, 2017****Review contains MINOR SPOILERS about the structure of the game****
Completion: Mainlined Endings A & B (Watched C & D online), Normal****Review contains MINOR SPOILERS about the structure of the game****
Completion: Mainlined Endings A & B (Watched C & D online), Normal Difficulty
- Memorable cast of characters that grow on you as the story unfolds.
- Expansive lore and subversive plot that turns traditional anime/video game tropes on their head. I would love to say more about this topic, but the story is the true core of this game and I believe it should be the impetus in someone picking this title up.
- Mesmerizing and tonally perfect soundtrack that sticks in your head.
- Voice acting for the main cast is superb. A few of the side characters, however, have poor dubs.
- Bosses are challenging (at least on the first playthrough) and unique. The combination of bullet hell with ARPG worked extremely well in these situations.
- The gameplay itself is often just as subversive as the story with the various mechanics and scenarios that it throws at you. While some of these weren't exactly the most fun to play through, they were undoubtedly interesting from a design experience and mixed well with the story to create a more thematically unified experience.
- Side quests range from boring to absolutely frustrating. Fetch quests are abundant and the payoff is rarely substantial.
- Too much backtracking. This is especially true for the other endings, which essentially require you to play through the second half of the game over and over again.
- While many other aspects of the gameplay are interesting, the bulk of it, combat, is one dimensional and generally sloppy. The battle system typically boils down to mashing attack over and over again. - Although you obtain a myriad of spells throughout the game, 2 or 3 of them clearly outshine everything else in the game. Furthermore, these superior skills are obtained the earliest, which make experimentation a worthless task.
- Menus are clumsy and could have flowed much better.
- The game looks dated for a X360/PS3 title and even worse, experiences massive frame rate drops in many combat encounters.
- Worst fishing I've ever experienced video games, especially since it is required in a main quest mission.
- Upgrade system is extremely grind-heavy and specific loot is largely obscure.
While the game has numerous flaws that can't be ignored, the story, specifically in its characters, leaves a definitely impression. The gameplay itself is also surprisingly and intriguing, though not always what I would describe as fun. Overall, Nier was a singular experience that pushes the bounds of video games as a medium for storytelling and interaction that just can't quite overcome the shackles of its sloppy mechanics and production .
True Score: 8.3… Expand
Feb 15, 2020Une espèce de jeu de rôle à la japonaise qui cumule de surcroît les défauts qu'on peut trouver parfois dans les jeux de rôle à l'occidentaleUne espèce de jeu de rôle à la japonaise qui cumule de surcroît les défauts qu'on peut trouver parfois dans les jeux de rôle à l'occidentale comme notamment les sales quêtes de garçon-coursier-livreur et autres conneries de remplissage de contenu inepte et lamentable...
Il s'agit de toute façon surtout d'un "Action-RPG" qui suit toujours le même schéma, à se demander si ce "Nier" ne serait pas en fait une sale putain de saloperie de "Hack-and-Slash" à la con (pléonasme répété) puisqu'on dézingue comme un presse-bouton des **** ennemis avant de finir sur un boss plus ou moins con et casse-bonbons. Le schéma se répète donc ainsi, entrecoupé de quelques dialogues censés faire avancer une histoire... qui n'avance pas ou si peu !
Les allers et retours sont d'ailleurs légion et symptomatiques de cette allure très supecte qu'a le jeu, cette sale allure de saloperie de merde de "Hack-and-Slash" à la con de mes deux. La musique ne propose que de petites ritournelles certes assez jolies mais qui tournent et retournent en boucle à rendre complètement fou n'importe qui.
C'est graphiquement pas vilain mais un mauvais goût certain soit curieusement dégueulasse soit bizarrement pervers habite le jeu de temps à autre... de toute manière, on se lasse vraiment de faire la fedex **** avec toujours cette répétition dans le gameplay décidément trop médiocre pour maintenir ne fût-ce qu'un semblant d'intérêt...
Une daube particulièrement pénible donc qu'on ne saurait trop recommander de rouler dessus en marche avant et en marche arrière avec un gros 4x4 Toyota.… Expand