7.3

Watch Now
Buy on

1. May 20, 2014
    This game is absolute fun in this era of the next gen hype. Classic shooter good story with old school graphics. The story is simple well caughtable. The game mechanisms old school. Only negative is few bugs on some levels.
  2. May 21, 2014
    Awesome, this game is like Tarantino's film Inglorious bastards. I think that Wolfenstein: the new order might be one of the best games of the year. It has to be GOTY!
  3. May 20, 2014
    Wolfenstein is back and better than ever. Combining the cheesiness and fun of past titles with a more serious approach to narrative, The New Order succeeds at what it set out to do, create something with a little more depth while remaining true to what makes Wolfenstein the enjoyable game series it is. A lengthy single player campaign, focused narrative cast cast of characters, fun andWolfenstein is back and better than ever. Combining the cheesiness and fun of past titles with a more serious approach to narrative, The New Order succeeds at what it set out to do, create something with a little more depth while remaining true to what makes Wolfenstein the enjoyable game series it is. A lengthy single player campaign, focused narrative cast cast of characters, fun and accessible combat, stealth, fantastic set pieces, etc., make this a game you cannot miss. Expand
  4. May 22, 2014
    Bethesda, thank you for giving us the greatest single player shooter campaign since Adam was a boy. Not perfect, so (just) a 9 but an "EPIC" adventure with a great story, huge environments & excellent old school shooting & stealth sequences. The controls are bang on, I loved the fact I could lean from cover, look down the sights and take out numerous enemies all at once, Brilliant !!!Bethesda, thank you for giving us the greatest single player shooter campaign since Adam was a boy. Not perfect, so (just) a 9 but an "EPIC" adventure with a great story, huge environments & excellent old school shooting & stealth sequences. The controls are bang on, I loved the fact I could lean from cover, look down the sights and take out numerous enemies all at once, Brilliant !!!
    Negatives…… platform jumping in to, and out of helicopters was annoying (especially on the bridge sequence…. awful save point) ….. Aaaargghh !!! And enemy A.I. on stealth is a little on the easy side.

Developers take note, not everyone wants a multiplayer/online experience. Short, uninspired single player campaigns don't cut it for me and I refuse to part with my hard earned cash for a 5 to 8 hour yawn-fest.

Finally, I have just loaded the fourth disc and I already want to play through this campaign again…….. and again…….. and again.
    LOVE IT !!!!
  5. May 31, 2014
    The Good: The game has fantastic gun play, a great story, well developed characters, a wide variety of ways to play, powerful guns, awesome looking enemies, an ending that both is depressing yet satisfying, and just the overall fun of shoving a fistful of bullets into a Nazi mecha death droid's face.

The Bad: The game is a bit buggy, I had one crash during the first cut scene (and that was the only one) and the rest of it got a bit laggy at few and far between intervals. The game also has a habit of not telling you where your objective is, so sometimes I get lost.

The Ugly: I don't know if it's just me, but the graphics are bad. The pop in is horrible and sometimes takes over 5 whole seconds to load. Yet the textures and are still outdated. To me, they look a TINY better than something that would come out of 2011.

Verdict: A few issues aside, Wolfenstein The New Order is a great game that really stands out in a genre full of paranoid, xenophobic, drag-you-by-the-nose "realistic military shooters".

7.5/10 (+.5 for an Easter egg that made my day when I found it.)

8/10-GREAT
  6. Jun 7, 2014
    When was the last time you played a good Wolfenstein game? If you are like me its been a loooong time... so I went into this not expecting much... and WOW was I in for a surprise... because the New Wolfenstein is not just good... its extraordinary!

The first thing to strike me was the amazing visuals, which are amongst the best graphics that I have seen the aging XBOX 360 to date. The next thing that struck me was the surprisingly well done narrative. The story is well above what we are use to in FPS games as is the character development. Level design is also very well done as each chapter in the game feels completely different from the others, and the range of environments... well I don't want to spoil anything but the places you get to go are pretty cool!

The only nitpicks I have are few and minor such as textures sometimes take a few seconds to load, some slow downs, and the occasional glitch like killing one natzi gave no death animation so I kept shooting him for a few secs until I realized he was bugged. Other than that I have no gripes.

I am going to say something that is a bit of a surprise to me as I really had low expectation of this game going into it... but this Wolfenstein is not only the best in the series... it is now on my short list for best FPS I have ever played! I put it right up there with Half-Life 2 and Metro: Last Light.

Here I am at the end of the review and I have not even talked of the shooting... not to worry as the weapons have weight, pack a punch and are a blast to play with. No game is flawless but this game comes very close to it and for this reason I give it a 10. Not bad for a rental that I thought was going to suck. Probably going to end up buying it as it does have some replay value based on early choices that you make in the game.
  7. Feb 11, 2015
    A blast of a game that pays proper tribute to previous titles while improving and expanding on the series. The story is action packed with each new environment as unique and cool as the last. Character and weapon leveling is well done. Combat mechanics are excellent.
  8. Sep 11, 2014
    I would've given this game a 7.5 but I decided to round up to 8 to satisfy Metacritic. Finally, after completing both story lines in the game, I feel I'm ready to write my review.

Don't let anyone fool you: this game is not an old school shooter. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the last Wolfenstein title that could ever claim go be old school. This game tries it's hardest to blend the old school mechanics with new school mechanics to satisfy a ever-diversifying gaming audience. Does this make it a bad game, or does it detract from the experience? Not at all. However, it does show that it isn't what it was touted to be.

I won't waste time writing down the story or game plot premise here, only that it really does take second fiddle to the gameplay itself, as previous Wolfenstein titles have (among most other id franchises). And as far as gameplay goes, it is generally linear in terms of how you have to go through a level on a certain path. However, at many times, it gives you the option to take a stealth approach or a combat heavy approach. The stealth mechanics are fairly monotonous, as it comes down to just finding and killing an officer who is able to call in reinforcements, and then performing assassinations on all the other soldiers in the area. If you do find yourself in a stealth section, you do have the option to go in guns blazing and killing everyone with dual wielded weapons (all weapons can be dual wielded with an identical one), but you do get the impression that these sections were designed around stealth, and are thus heavily encouraged to approach it as such.
    The enemy types aren't all that varied, as they really only fall under a few main types: hounds, soldiers, officers, and giant robots (there are also these REALLY annoying drone things that show up sometimes, but they are fairly rare; there also a few challenging bosses you have to face). However, their AI is fairly well programmed, and they do what they are supposed to do and present some challenge, so there's not much to complain about here.

The level design is fairly good, and you find yourself in a lot of varied environments, like castles, open battlefields, urban settings, and even the moon, and all are designed fairly well and open, though there is a strong sense of a path that you need to take through the level to accomplish your goal.

The characters are well done as well, having been fleshed out significantly better than in other Wolfenstein and id franchise games, excluding Blazowicz himself and his live interest Anya. I mean, Wyatt in the later game has some kind of responsibility complex, and still acts like a kid, while Fergus later in the game (in the other storyline) tries to cover up his sadness with humor; this gives them personality. However, BJ and Anya just kind of chill out and go with whatever comes to them. This is evident when BJ and Anya begin their relationship: I mean, BJ wakes up after a 14 year coma where Anya took care of him, then they're with some old people and explaining the situation of the world to him, then BJ kills a bunch of Nazis, then goes on a train and is almost shot by Frau Engel, then him and Anya have sex for the sole reason that there is only one bed in their cabin on the train. Also, might I add: the two sex scenes are incredibly stupid, juvenile, and unnecessary.

This brings me to another point that is probably the worst part of this game: there's just a bunch of unnecessary crap thrown into the story for absolutely no reason. Now I'm not talking about the recreation of the first level of Wolf3D that you can play; that was cool. I mean a lot of the stuff just felt over the top. First off, there's an incredible amount of blood and gore: the executions you can do are damn brutal, you see innocent people getting shot in the head, you yourself get stabbed multiple times, and you even see a guy's eyes gouged out and his brain sucked out with a drill as his back is flayed open. It was pretty disgusting. Also, adding into BJ's personality of just rolling with everything, it seemed really unnecessary and stupid to have him tripping acid (yes, this happens if you trigger it) with a guy that just compared him to a Nazi. I don't know if these unnecessary parts were put in to cater to the newer gamers with different views on the world, or what.

Now, to end, I'll put in the Xbox 360 specific points.
    The game actually looks really good for a 360 game, with incredibly textures on weapons, enemies, and important spots in the environment. However, the rest of the textures in the ambient environment are very muddy and low res (obviously a limitation of the hardware). Also, the dynamic shadows are very pixellated, despite it being rendered from OpenGL. Also, the post processing and particle effects are toned down from PC and 8th Gen , but if it weren't for the muddy textures in the world, they would be fairly comparable.

Overall, I recommend it to shooter/Wolfenstein fans: 8-10 hours of brutal fun.
  9. Jul 25, 2014
    This game is near great,just slightly more thing and it will be great
    This game gives you all, the anger,the joy,the fun,and the sadness
    I get mad soo many times while playing this game because it's hard and very challenging
    so you can''t really go all brute and shoot everything up rambo style even in the normal difficulty
    It's a good game and i recommend you to play this
  10. Oct 7, 2017
    Wolfenstein the New Order
    A Rollercoaster of Emotions
    Wolfenstein the New Order is a 9 and a half hour long first person shooter set in an alternate reality where the Nazis won in world war 2 Without spoiling the story, you play as us special forces operative captain blazkowicz, who’s been out of it for 14 years to learn its 1960 and the us lost And you set out to rescue your squad and
    Wolfenstein the New Order
    A Rollercoaster of Emotions
    And you set out to rescue your squad and of course take down some Nazis…
    The New Order is probably one of the most intriguing first person shooters I’ve played through…
    not only thanks to the story of living through alternate history.. But because of how your characters story is told, there’s revenge, love, everything… your journey feels personal instead of generic...
    You’re not some forgettable throwaway soldier like you get in most every other first person shooter campaign
    And because of this this campaign immerses you deep inside of its world…
    This isn’t your typical run and gun campaign..
    There’s tons of variety here, missions will have you scaling buildings for targets... going in with stealth, infiltration, and undercover missions…
    You never know what the game is going to throw at you keeping the campaign feeling fresh…
    There are a variety of weapons and enemies to deal with, and the game mixes things up with a laser gun you get to cut through chain and metal in the game, giving you alternate routes inside of rooms and again stopping this game from just feeling constantly run and gun… you’re not forced to shoot here most of the time, as you can just go in missions with stealth taking out everyone from behind…
    but if you do choose to shoot there are plenty of weapon choices and the ability to dual wield guns..
    Enemies drop plenty of ammo... but eventually your laser gun is upgraded and able to shoot with unlimited ammo, though it has to be recharged so you’re not waiting for it to recharge on its own at a painfully slow rate after every couple of shots…
    Combat can feel challenging if you’re not the stealthy type... especially thanks to the scouts that will call for back up if you don’t take them out before you start shooting...
    You do have health that will regenerate slightly... but there are health packs and armor around which seem in abundance at the beginning... but towards the end you’ll be begging for them...
    Mission structure all for the most part feels the same.. You’re given a map which rarely helps... I found myself just stumbling around the map until I found the item I was supposed to interact with...
    Not the greatest natural progression... but I only felt lost a few times throughout my journey to the end..
    I was having a lot of fun with this game thanks to its story and level design... however for me the 2nd half of this game really starts to feel a bit generic and I was ready for this game to be over hours before the final showdown…
    While I do feel the final stretch of the new order is a drag, load times are painfully slow, and the occasional lock picking in this game is the worst and most annoying lock picking in video game history
    The New Order offers a really unique experience worth picking up and seeing out through to its end
    I Give
    Wolfenstein: the new order
    an 8.0/10
  11. Feb 2, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Би Джей наконец убивает черепа, спустя столько лет. Под весёлым геймплеем таится грустная история, с таким же грустным финалом. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic Review

1. May 24, 2014
    OK, the stealth gameplay is not working and seems forced. But try Wolfenstein: The New Order as an old-school FPS and you'll have the best, gory, mindless time you've had with a game of this kind for a long time.