7.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 24, 2019
    The presentation side of the game ticks all of the right boxes and for me both the visuals and sound design made the gameplay even more immersive. I really enjoyed the story in the game because it managed to remain interesting throughout and it also made me fall in love with the series again. In terms of content there is more than enough to keep you satisfied for a while and the campaignThe presentation side of the game ticks all of the right boxes and for me both the visuals and sound design made the gameplay even more immersive. I really enjoyed the story in the game because it managed to remain interesting throughout and it also made me fall in love with the series again. In terms of content there is more than enough to keep you satisfied for a while and the campaign delivers action throughout its entirety. Controlling and getting into combat with your jet is a thrilling ordeal and I must admit that I was surprised by how much depth the combat had. There’s a number of improvements and upgrades you can attach to your jet and this personal touch definitely made the game come alive for me more. Technically the game didn’t have many problems if any at all and I was especially impressed with the fluid and responsive controls that have been implemented. I did get a little frustrated every now and then and failing a mission on one small mistake was certainly an eye-opener. Ace Combat is a series that I love from the bottom of my heart because nobody does flying combat quite like these series of games. As you can imagine then to say I was looking forward to Ace Combat 7 would be a massive understatement and thankfully my high expectations were met and then some because I’m not exaggerating when I say that Ace Combat 7 is the best the series has seen so far. From the get go then you can choose from a lot of different content but I recommend that you go straight to the campaign first because each mission combined with the fantastic story takes you on an unforgettable journey. Obviously the most important thing of a game of this ilk is not the story but of course its flying elements and thankfully I’m pleased to say that the combat and flying feels better than ever. Technically the game also delivers in all areas and not once did I get down by the tight and responsive controls. In terms of problems then the game doesn’t really have any and my only slight issue is that the game’s difficulty can spike out of nowhere from time to time, but I was easily able to look past this. At the end of the day then Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown has made this fantastic franchise come alive again and it’s catered to both newcomers and veterans alike which means anybody can get involved, and when it’s all said and done I can’t recommend this game enough to you. Two thumbs up! Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2019
    This game is fantastic I was not ready for how good it is. I haven't played an air combat game in many years but the hype around this one caught my attention so I gave it a shot and WOW.

The control scheme feels awesome on the Xbox controller and the framerate is rock solid on Xbox One X (not sure if it's 30 fps or not, seems like it but I have not confirmed). Being a fighter jet

Being a fighter jet and military hardware junkie like myself helps too if you're on the fence. The Aircraft Tree lets you unlock new jets along with upgrades and it's like a jet playground with all the classics and futuristic designs.

Bottom line, the game is just fun as hell to play I was hooked from the second I took off in the starting F-16C in the very first mission. Great surprise title to start the year for me.
  3. Feb 8, 2019
    Great game extremely polished and great soundtrack to only thing lets its down is the campaign is a bit short 9/10
  4. Jan 25, 2019
    El videojuego de Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown es una de esas obras en las que entras por curiosidad y lo conviertes en un compromiso. El videojuego se sumerge en la piel de un aviador de combate. Al jugarlo se comprende que debes desarrollar tu habilidad para pilotear los aviones. Cada combate se vuelve emocionante. Es rejugable debido a que el jugador desea obtener el máximo puntaje en lasEl videojuego de Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown es una de esas obras en las que entras por curiosidad y lo conviertes en un compromiso. El videojuego se sumerge en la piel de un aviador de combate. Al jugarlo se comprende que debes desarrollar tu habilidad para pilotear los aviones. Cada combate se vuelve emocionante. Es rejugable debido a que el jugador desea obtener el máximo puntaje en las misiones. Conclusión es recomendable.

In English
    The game of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is one of those works in which you enter out of curiosity and turn it into a commitment. The video game is immersed in the skin of a combat aviator. By playing it, you understand that you must develop your ability to fly the planes. Each fight becomes exciting. It is replayable because the player wants to get the highest score in the missions. Conclusion is recommended.

日本語で
    Ace Combat 7:Skies Unknownのゲームはあなたが好奇心から外に出てそれをコミットメントに変える作品の一つです。 ビデオゲームは戦闘飛行士の肌に浸っています。 それをプレイすることによって、あなたはあなたが飛行機を飛ばすあなたの能力を開発しなければならないことを理解します。 各戦いは刺激的になります。 プレイヤーがミッションで最高のスコアを獲得したいので、それは再生可能です。 結論をお勧めします。
  5. Feb 15, 2019
    The much-anticipated arcade-simulator returns echoing the past while adding some modern flair.

Ace Combat 7 is a game for Ace Combat veterans and newcomers alike. Gameplay feels like a fine-tuned version of AC6 (in short: fun) while the story maintains the pattern of melodrama and parallel narratives that have come to define the series. The game includes plenty of references to previous installments, especially AC5, though its central conflict is not anchored on any outside information.

Like most other Ace Combat games, you are a silent protagonist thrust into international war with the sole responsibility of being the only pilot with missiles that actually do damage. You are joined in the skies by an interesting cast of fellow pilots and enemies. Unlike past entries, there is no elite squadron constantly on your case (AC4’s Yellow, AC5 8492, AC6 Strigon). Instead, the game takes the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon route and gives you a badass ace pilot to fly against. He is indeed part of a squadron, but the game frames Mr. Ace as the primary antagonist because he gets cutscenes and the enemy’s armada of unmanned drone-fighters rely on his combat data for reference. This works pretty well as you very quickly become the top dog on your side of the skies and it is interesting to go toe-to-toe with a skilled opponent while your squadron becomes a glorified cheer squad.

Drones and clouds are two things the game will not shut up about, and for good reason. Drones were introduced in Ace Combat 6 as interesting opponents and it is clear that the development team Project Aces wanted to keep them around. This time not only do the drones outmaneuver you and your compatriots, they outnumber you by a large margin too. This keeps the player constantly on their toes, weaving through drone swarms and begging for their MISSILE ALERT to go away. According to just about every NPC pilot in the game, the solution is in the clouds.

It was stated early on in the game’s development that clouds would be a major component in the game. In previous entries, they were just puffy wads to fly through with no additional thought. This time around, clouds affect missile targeting, mobility and of course visibility to such a degree that many fights (especially online) may hinge on your use of them.

The game boasts plenty of aircraft to choose from, of course. You are initially presented with your vanilla F-16 and given a sizable aircraft tree from which to choose your path, each branch with its own set of licensed real-world planes to choose from. Getting from one end of the tree to the other took me about 18 of the game’s 20 missions to do, meaning you’ll need to replay missions or grind out multiplayer for more money to purchase your planes, weapons and upgrade parts. The addition of parts in this game (with effects ranging from a simple yaw speed increase to an insane homing missile capability upgrade) adds more diversity to your campaign and multiplayer strategy- you make what are essentially classes or builds based around what you believe the coming sortie requires. I found the system enjoyable and it kept me coming back as I grinded out money to purchase the next big upgrade I needed to dominate my opponents online or to make my campaign missions more efficient.

Online play functions well enough. There are only two modes: a free-for-all and team deathmatch, with a scoring system based on each individual planes’ total value (an unupgraded F-15 will get a ton of points for shooting down a decked out F-22, but the F-22 would get less points from killing the F-15 in turn). This scoring system is balanced pretty well and when combined with plane value restriction options can make for a diverse dogfight.

The game, to no one’s surprise, looks and sounds gorgeous. Each environment is vividly rendered to appear beautiful from 30000 ft and 30. The soundtrack lives up to the established standard, bringing even more emotion into the story and complimenting the fantastic voice acting.

AC7 really only falls short in its content offering. While meant to be replayed on increasing difficulties, the 20-mission campaign feels like it could use a couple more sorties to be full, especially given the game’s development time. Multiplayer is certainly lacking as well. The addition of co-op missions or time-attack/races would be interesting options to consider to keep players coming back.

Overall the game is a great time. The story doubles down on its absurdity and it pays dividends. The air-to-air combat is a feeling that can be experienced nowhere else and Project Aces knows it. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown feels familiar and adds new touches that keep me from ever wanting to be on the ground again.
  6. Feb 25, 2019
    I have been playing the Ace Combat series since Ace Combat 4 on PS2. They have always been well made and well scored, at least in the main numbered series that I have played (4, 5, Zero, and 6). When I heard about this games release, I was excited, but also a little weary. A lot of games lately have been pushing the multiplayer aspects more, which isn't bad per say, but sometimes theyI have been playing the Ace Combat series since Ace Combat 4 on PS2. They have always been well made and well scored, at least in the main numbered series that I have played (4, 5, Zero, and 6). When I heard about this games release, I was excited, but also a little weary. A lot of games lately have been pushing the multiplayer aspects more, which isn't bad per say, but sometimes they sacrifice the story/campaign mode. I am glad to say that this is not the case with Ace Combat 7.

The story mode is as classic as you can get for an Ace Combat game. It keeps you engaged and is over the top. I will say that due to these games having their own universe with their own timelines and countries, it might be a bit confusing if you have no prior Ace Combat experience. Despite this, I do recommend this game to everyone.

The combat is where this game is the most improved. The prior games were already great in this regard, being fluid and the controls intuitive. This game is more of the same, but does add some pretty interesting mechanics. For example, if you fly through clouds, your cockpit will start to ice up; if it ices up too much, your plane will stall. Firing missiles into clouds can mess with their targeting capabilities, which can lead to misses. Just this one mechanic adds a lot of depth to the combat system. Another area where they changed the game is the purchasing of aircraft. They added an "Aircraft Tree" where you have to buy certain aircraft and parts in order to unlock the better aircraft. This may seem like a worse system than the prior games, especially since you can't sell any plane you've already purchased, but with the new parts system, you can keep your lesser aircraft competitive by upgrading them. Some players might be put off by this, but I think it's a cool mechanic to implement, though I wish you could sell planes and parts you don't need later in the game.

There was really only one problem with the game that I say on my play through, and it was lag. It didn't happen very often, but when it did, it was extremely noticeable and could really throw off the combat. Overall, I will say that the game runs well, and it never crashed on me once.

All in all, this is an amazing game. Frustrating at times at higher difficulties, but always rewarding when you finally beat a mission. It has amazing replay value, and the story length is about average for an Ace Combat game in my experience. If they patch out those frame rate drops, I will gladly change this score to a 10, because I feel it is that good of a game.
  7. Mar 8, 2019
    From the standpoint of flight sim and action game, this one doesn't fail to impress. Sharp, reactive controls along with stunning visuals and jam packed missions make this a must play. The only downsides being that some encounters are scripted (all with the same individual) and that the story is overly cheesy.
  8. Jan 18, 2019
    It's time for Xbox users to take up for the skies. It's an example of how one can make an extremely polished and nearly perfect videogame. Anything from visuals to soundtrack and story is made by a highly professional team with a passion for airplanes.
  9. Jan 18, 2019
    As a developer that already spent more than 20 years for this legendary franchise, Project Aces lead by Kazutoki Kono sure giving their best for this masterpiece game. First of all, Ace Combat is a combination of Fun Arcade Game and Simulation Game that perfectly combined that will make you feel like Top Gun Pilot without make you stress of choosing which button to select.

Campaign :

Campaign : Pretty meaty, you can spent 25 hours at least for a single run. The are pretty good variations for the missions from dogfight, escort, defensive operation, infiltration , flying through canyon, boss/superweapons fight. The missions are superbly designed, the tree tech is pretty interesting to invest, and make you think for the best strategy to complete the missions. Should you focus on plane durability , payload or manouverability is up to you.

Gameplay : Control is fluid and enjoyable. choose for expert control altough it is your first try as it give your full total control for your plane. You can learn to try some neat tricks like Pugachev Cobra on this , altough you must be careful as you are very vulnerable while doing that. Also you can customize your plane with special paint job, emblem, parts that enhance your plane. Hope Ace Combat can add free colour customization like in Ace Combat Assault Horrizon.

Story : Pretty Good, altough not as strong as Ace Combat Holy PS2 Trilogy. The game will tell you about a war from both side of belligerents. You fly as a mute protagonist named Trigger. You start as a common pilot but with the progress of story , your great work will be praised and you will be feel great for your achievements.

Graphics : The Graphics Is very beautiful while also very detailed for a game that must render a very wide area at one time. You gonna love it when you fly through the canyon while there are storm and lightning ready to mess your hud in mission 7.

Multiplayer : pretty good, there are deathmatch of 4 vs 4 and one for all chaotic fight. Hope Project Aces can add many variatons for the multiplayer like coop score based competion in a grand campaign, or Capital Conquest of Ace Combat Assault Horrizon, Tunnek Race of Ace Combat Zero, or Superweapon fight.

VR : Very Immersive, be careful of motion sickness. The VR portion have different campaign from the Main Campaign. It also have free flight and Air Show mode that are beautiful.

Music : Oh God the music is very beautiful and epic. Im strongly urge you to try listen Liberation of Gracemeria, Comona, Rex Tremendae+ Megalith from AC 4, Zero, Juggernaut, Mayhem from Ace Combat Zero, The Unsung War, Journey Home, Hrimfaxi, First Flight from Ace Combat if it is your first entry of Ace Combat Series.

Ace Combat 7 is worthy buddies. its a wonderful experience of your life
  10. Jan 18, 2019
    Ace Combat is a wonderful experience for flight game enthusiast. It perfectly balance of arcade nice and fun gameplay with believable simulation aspect. The Gameplay is fun and for a flight game, it has many enjoyable missions. You gonna think that this game just about shooting a box a very far away that you cannot see like in simulator game (DCS for example), but no, the fight is massiveAce Combat is a wonderful experience for flight game enthusiast. It perfectly balance of arcade nice and fun gameplay with believable simulation aspect. The Gameplay is fun and for a flight game, it has many enjoyable missions. You gonna think that this game just about shooting a box a very far away that you cannot see like in simulator game (DCS for example), but no, the fight is massive and epic close range dogfight that make you feel thrilled. You also gonna face countless drones, advanced Superweapons, and enemy Aces Squadrons. The battle is massive.

The Story is set on fictional world of Strangereal. You are pilot of Osea Federation (Equivalent of Murica Fck Yeah) against Kingdom of Erusea ( European Nation combined). In this world, the technology is one step ahead of our world so dont be surprised when you see laser, or superweapon here.

Ace Combat 7 also let you express your creativity with ton of customizations. You can select a special paint job that based of many real life great livery of famous World Air Forces. You can also choose emblem in your lovely plane. Also from the tech tree, you can choose many upgradeable parts , and choose it according to your strategies. you cann opt to durable plane, or heavy weapon plane, or quick and swift plane.

The control is fun and nice , select for Expert control as it the best way for you to control the plane. It may be hard if you new for this, but with adapt gameplay and control, you gonna be Aces in no time. Hey also you can pull Pugachev Cobra and Kublit on some of the planes.

The Graphics is very great. The clouds is a real things as it has it own volume. You can use the cloud as part of you strategies. while you in clouds you can outmanouver your enemies and minimalize their lock on capabilities.

The Enemies A.I is very clever. They will use the clouds to hide from you sneak behind you, flying through the canyon while hoping you gonna crash, the drones also wil sacrifice itself to protect the superweapons. The Allies A.I is pretty agressive and sometime steal your kill, but will not steal the show for you (although I hope the Allies A.I can be more competent at least for the elite squad).

Ace Combat is famous for their epic music. just listen for Zero-Ace Combat Ost, Liberation of Gracemeria, First Flight AC5 ,Comona on youtube and you gonna be immersed by it. The music in this game is also beautiful.

VR Portion is one of the things on VR Games especially for a flight game. It will live up your dreams as Fighter of Top Gun Pilot. you also can watch an epic airshow and fly in beautiful world of Strangereal.

The Multiplayer is pretty neat and chaotic. for now it just 4 vs 4 deathmatch and one for all brawl. Hope they add more contents for the MP.
  11. Jan 28, 2019
    Everything I had been looking for from Ace Combat since i played AC6 a decade ago. Campaign is solid, Weather effects are a welcome addition, multiplayer is fun, and the soundtrack nailed it. If you've played an AC game in the past and enjoyed it, you will enjoy this one.

All the people complaining about frame-rates and top of the line graphics, where are your comments about the gameplay? (crickets).... Its just people who like to complain. Id rather a fun game than a polished turd, and the game looks great on my 1X. i've not had a single graphical issue take me out of the moment. Loading times are also fairly quick.

Cons:
    The Multiplayer menu's are clunky and its annoying to play with friends but once you're in a lobby its a lot of fun.
  12. Feb 26, 2019
    Los controles de vuelo y el fotorrealismo de este videojuego son fantasticos, aunque tambien lo que destaco es su historia profundamente dramatica y divertida (Jugado en Xbox One X).
  13. Apr 3, 2020
    one of the best games in the series. though it would be a 10 out of 10 from me if the drone enemies weren't completely unfair, they might as well teleport because of the maneuvers they pull being impossible otherwise. the story is also kind of dull.
  14. Feb 15, 2019
    Native 4K and HDR10 on Xbox is AMAZING ! I have been taken back to my first Ace Combat game, (AC2), where I was truly blown away by the graphics, mechanics, and overall polish. This new title has stepped its game up greatly from AC6 and is now the single best air combat based game to beat.
  15. Apr 5, 2020
    Is so nice playing is combat again It's one of my favourite series in the world so I am always heavy when I get a chance to play it and now if the Completed, I just want to play one of the old ones again highly recommended
  16. Jun 19, 2019
    In this review, only the negative aspects of the game are considered. The purpose of this work is to help you to get a better decision on the purchase of the game

My Rating: 8 of 10 Weak points : - Graphics have not been improved -Features available in the previous version of the game (on the Xbox360 the focus mode on the enemy)has been removed -Aircraft physics is not real during

My Rating: 8 of 10

Weak points :
    - Graphics have not been improved
    -Aircraft physics is not real during the incident.
  17. Jun 26, 2020
    This, with the AC3E(Japanese version) are the best Ace Combat games, this is reaaaaaally well designed, very fun, look amazing, gameplay is fast and, again, fun
  18. Mar 20, 2020
    Admittedly I only started playing this game when it hit Game Pass on xbox one (I can hear series veterans moaning now) I will be buying this game for myself because I had no idea how good this game was going to be. I always looked at Ace Combat games as bargain bin fodder. A quantity over quality type of series. Needless to say I was wrong, at least about this one. A bunch of planesAdmittedly I only started playing this game when it hit Game Pass on xbox one (I can hear series veterans moaning now) I will be buying this game for myself because I had no idea how good this game was going to be. I always looked at Ace Combat games as bargain bin fodder. A quantity over quality type of series. Needless to say I was wrong, at least about this one. A bunch of planes to choose from bought by using in game currency (not real world) as well as different missiles, rockets, etc. Flying can take some getting used to but I had it on the more simy setting. There is a kind of "arcade" setting as well which makes flying a bit less technical. One piece of advice though, listen closely to the briefing before each mission because it gives you an idea of the type of plane to use such as attack, fighter, etc, as well as weapons to equip like air to air (for dog fights) or air to land missiles for land targets. That is one of my few dislikes. Some of the briefing lasts sooo long. You can skip those but again if you are playing for the first time you wont know exactly what you need for the mission at hand. Surprisingly I found the story kind of interesting. Not on the same level as a mass effect game or anything but enough to keep me wanting to know more. For a game like this the last thing I thought I would be interested in is the story. It reminds me a lot of final fantasy. I can hear you laughing, but seriously. Ace Combat has that "everything is familiar, but subtly futuristic" kind of feel to it. I wont spoil anything but if you have just a vague interest in jet plane warfare you should check this one out. I mean my view towards dog fighting games was indifferent but I am having a blast with this one. Expand
  19. Jul 23, 2019
    Ace Combat 7 is great! The combat feels new and much improved but still keeps the great style it predosers had. The campaign was a TON of fun but sometimes the missions would get a little repetitive !
  20. Oct 7, 2019
    mi primer contacto con la saga y me ha encantado, la campaña es bastante buena y rejugable pero el online es muy repetitivo seria genial que hubieran hecho operaciones en cooperativo, se desperdicio mucho potencial en el modo online pero la campaña esta 10/10
  21. Aug 25, 2020
    Потрясающая игра, пожалуй одна из самых недооцененных в 2019 году.
    Прекрасный саундтрек, графика, разнообразные миссии. Сюжет на любителя, но во всей серии так. Освоить игру легко, но чтобы стать мастером прилется попотеть, зато казавшиеся очееь сложными миссии будете щелкать как орешки. Рекомендую!
    Потрясающая игра, пожалуй одна из самых недооцененных в 2019 году.
  22. Aug 9, 2020
    O jogo é bacana, mas é bem cansativo e repetitivo, deveria custar muita mais barato do que custou no lançamento.
  23. Jul 21, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just Fun. Has some Arcade aspects in it. Story was meh, but the game makes you feel in power. Music was amazing. It just accented the gameplay. Writing was better that the story. For example one aces in the game is part of a special squadron called sol squadron. When you have a boss fight with him a song called archangel plays. Mihaly, the ace, is the best in his squadron. He does special moves like flying into the sun. He is a a Archangel. Eventually you “clip his wings” and take his freedom off soaring into the sky away. The name of the song, the way mihaly flies, and the level is played out is just a
    big analogy to the angle who burned his wing by flying into the sun. This game is amazing and a blast to play. Still playing it in 2020. If you look closer though you’ll be completely baffled at the writing.
  24. Aug 31, 2020
    Super fun, tight controls, great graphics(minus a lot of the environment up close), somehow intriguing story, fun cast of characters, great music; This is by far one of the best flying aerial combat games I've had the pleasure of playing.

Only thing keeping it from a solid 10/10 is it does get a little difficult in the last few levels, even on easy. That's really my only gripe, but besides that, I can't recommend this game enough! I'm honestly considering buying it for PC and getting the flight stick peripherals for it as well, it's just that good!
  25. Sep 4, 2020
    Solid game all around. The story kept me interested, the visuals were good, the gameplay was good. I liked how much you could unlock for aircrafts and loadouts. No real complaints other than a little repetition as the game went on. I did not try the multiplayer so I can't speak to that.
  26. Dec 17, 2020
    A very nice arcade game for me, a person who likes to play for relaxation. Greafika in motion makes a really good impression even though the graphics engine is not the newest anymore.
    If someone likes planes, this title is for him
  27. Oct 30, 2021
    I played this game when it was on Game Pass a while ago and I love it. Unfortunately it is quite a hefty price and I had to delete it when they removed it from Gamepass. Either way if the price of this game goes down I will definitely buy again. My favourite aerial game and one of my favourite overall games. If you are willing to pay the price, this game is brilliant and worth buying. (I'mI played this game when it was on Game Pass a while ago and I love it. Unfortunately it is quite a hefty price and I had to delete it when they removed it from Gamepass. Either way if the price of this game goes down I will definitely buy again. My favourite aerial game and one of my favourite overall games. If you are willing to pay the price, this game is brilliant and worth buying. (I'm just broke) Expand
  28. Dec 11, 2021
    A game that put you in the shoes of a rookie pilot in a new war to face against a nation that your country had faced before, I don’t want to do spoilers, but this game is fantastic, the graphics and gameplay are amazing, a plot that takes you in, even if you are not a ace combat fan, a very good multiplayer multiplayer and a great customization set. This game overcome all the previous aceA game that put you in the shoes of a rookie pilot in a new war to face against a nation that your country had faced before, I don’t want to do spoilers, but this game is fantastic, the graphics and gameplay are amazing, a plot that takes you in, even if you are not a ace combat fan, a very good multiplayer multiplayer and a great customization set. This game overcome all the previous ace combats. Expand
  29. Jan 2, 2022
    I enjoy the gameplay and story of this game. I would recommend getting this game.
  30. Mar 25, 2022
    Very good game, but ....bring back the real ace combat...we need more experience with more aircrafts, this is so poor.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 18, 2019
    Ace Combat 7 has hit the skies and it has been a smooth flight with little turbulence. Available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One for $59.99 USD and in February for PC. If you like games where flight is the main type of play then this game is for you. I love games like Elite Dangerous for its space combat and now I have Ace Combat 7 for my Air Combat.
  2. Apr 18, 2019
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Mar 9, 2019
    Spectacular but spotty, this demanding sim both fulfills and frustrates. [Issue#225, p.76]