5.1

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 11, 2014
    Let me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of the series, having played from the original Assassin's Creed, all the way to Black Flag, and this may possibly be the worst one yet. It is not that the game is inherently bad, but that Ubisoft made a good game bad in the worst way possible, by pushing micro-transactions and their **** companion app. I feel robbed and cheated, having myLet me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of the series, having played from the original Assassin's Creed, all the way to Black Flag, and this may possibly be the worst one yet. It is not that the game is inherently bad, but that Ubisoft made a good game bad in the worst way possible, by pushing micro-transactions and their **** companion app. I feel robbed and cheated, having my Assassin experience in France trifled by chests that "only open from the Fück You© companion app," which is loaded with micro-transaction BS itself, and takes up half a gigabyte in storage. The in-game accessories to upgrade Arno the most either require a ridiculous amount of in-game currency, or can be "hacked" for a fee. What bull ****.
    While most of the game plays fairly well, there is constant frame tearing and the new combat and parkour systems just feel sloppy and unpolished. I understand that a blockbuster of a game needs to turn a profit, but for Ubisoft to bend over and **** its fans for every nickle and dime is most certainly not the way it should be done. Rant over. Don't buy this, get Halo Master Chief collection, like I wish I had.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    Same sh*t as always. Same repetitive, boring missions, same crappy non-historical story and cliched, non-charismatic characters. Game have tons of bugs and glitches. Graphic is only good thing in this game. But framerate and glitches spoil it too.

Don't buy this sh*t!
  3. Nov 12, 2014
    Micro-transactions?!! Are you kidding me?!! Absolute trash. Assassin's Creed: Unity is a money-grab so dirty and disgusting that other disgusting money-grabs feel clean. One transaction alone costs $99!!!

Words that describe this rip-off game: Wretched, Disgusting, Rotten, Foul, Vomit and Puss.
  4. Nov 13, 2014
    Poor performance, dull story line and mirco -transaction requests when opening treasure chests now.

Total insult to Assassin's Creed Fans and the last Ubisoft product I will be buy for a very long time.
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    OK, I had not played an AC game since the first one on PC so I was expecting some true next gen experience here. Alas, I was extremely disappointed.

First of all, the frame rate drops on PS4 are just out of this world, it feels sluggish and there are so many visual bugs that it is impossible not to feel pulled away from game play. Game world seems alive and beautiful but so unpolished and unfinished I don't know what Ubisoft was thinking.

Combat is a bit better than before but when you have experienced combat in Demon's Souls and such this feels like a 3 year old trying to put a square in a triangle hole.

Storywise there's nothing worth noting and no real involvement with France's real history which is a shame.

OK, game is disappointing overall and feels unfinished and rushed down. There are microtransactions in game which is stupid to say the least, even more after Projekt Red (creators of The Witcher games) have announced that all DLC for The Witcher 3 are going to be for FREE. Take note Ubisoft.

Final comment: Do not buy, rent first and see for yourself if it is worth it or not.
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    **** strikes again, after a fiasco will watch dogs play ... there came the turn of the AC ... does not match anything with WHAT she had promised for the game ... well even diss this unplayable running below 30 fps .
  7. Nov 12, 2014
    [No real storyline spoilers, just a few lines of quoted text from the game and mostly near the beginning]

This has to be the absolute worst assassins creed game to date. It makes assassins creed 3 look like a great game in comparison. Glitches, horrible framerate and bugs aside, the graphics are okay, but its the gameplay choices that really stand out. The game breaks the third wall and talks directly to the player, which breaks immersion almost immediately. When the person in the game itself tells you that "I like playing online multplayer co-op" and that's why its available to you is just a complete joke. Some new fighting animations are cool but most are broken and dont flow well. Without any spoilers all i will say is the story isn't consistent. Extremely disappointing.
  8. Nov 13, 2014
    it's sad most of the critics review are either fake and they dint even play the game or have been bought by ubisoft always go off the user score then the critic score game is horrible and is not optimize with huge amount of bugs dont buy it
  9. Nov 12, 2014
    Absolutely the worse AC of them all, The game is not optimized and runs less than 30 fps on consoles not to mention horrible lag on PC. I do not recommend this purchase to anyone of the series, stay away. Ubisoft has done it's great deed again.
  10. Nov 12, 2014
    Rushed Game, avoid do NOT BUY ! i cant believe they launch the game like thisries have been terrible since II but now they just got worse than ever, its not even funny.
  11. Nov 11, 2014
    As soon as Unity started, I found myself comparing it to its predecessors. AC IV was an entertaining, beautiful game that played well yet had a lackluster story. I spent the time sailing the seas and collecting every little secret around the Caribbean. It was fun, and it was consistently fun. AC III, on the other hand, was not fun. While the game looked great, it suffered from majorAs soon as Unity started, I found myself comparing it to its predecessors. AC IV was an entertaining, beautiful game that played well yet had a lackluster story. I spent the time sailing the seas and collecting every little secret around the Caribbean. It was fun, and it was consistently fun. AC III, on the other hand, was not fun. While the game looked great, it suffered from major technical and gameplay issues that made it impossible for me to even get through half the campaign.

Unity seems to have more in common with AC III than AC IV.

Within the first 30 minutes of playing this game, I noticed consistent frame rate drops, stocky animation transitions, and odd pop-in during cutscenes that ripped me out of the experience. On the positive side, the game looks beautiful and the interior fidelity of some of France's most historical palaces is unprecedented. Regardless, the game's clear inability to render the massive crowds without the frame rate dropping to under 20 fps shows how incomplete the game really is.

Don't buy this game. Rent it if you'd like, and see for yourself. You may have fun with the game for five hours, but you surely won't feel compelled to find all the secrets and complete all the side missions. The game is boring, and its technical shortcomings make it difficult to sit through.

I pre-loaded the game. And now I regret my decision wholeheartedly.
  12. Nov 11, 2014
    Disappointing the controls are still sloppy the game needed more time it feels really rushed and is poorly optimised not even 1080p and drops to 20fps. Ubisoft have also put in micro transactions ac is dead.
  13. Nov 11, 2014
    With all the performance issues I had a difficult time even getting far enough in to the game to develop any opinion of the game play. Given that, the game play was not significantly improved upon over the previous incarnations of this series. With all of Ubisoft's talking about the engine and changes to the game play I found it to be less than spectacular, or even really all that funWith all the performance issues I had a difficult time even getting far enough in to the game to develop any opinion of the game play. Given that, the game play was not significantly improved upon over the previous incarnations of this series. With all of Ubisoft's talking about the engine and changes to the game play I found it to be less than spectacular, or even really all that fun since I had "been there, seen that" in previous games. Add the hefty performance issues that rally draw into question the level of effort put in to even trying to make the game playable, and this one is a complete non-starter.

If you absolutely *must* play another Assassin's Creed game, I strongly suggest waiting a few weeks/months to get all the problems dealt with *or* simply wait for the next iteration of the franchise.
  14. Nov 11, 2014
    Annoying and repetitive gameplay with lack of crafting and donating, stealth is just parody to inFamous. You better play awesome Copatel Online, than this mediocre boring game.
  15. Nov 12, 2014
    PLEASE STOP LISTENING TO CRITICS, they're on Ubisofts payslip to be calling this game playable.
    This game is not even finished, its a massive step back from black flag, the graphics are awful and far from next gen (XB1). But the worst is the framerate which makes the game unplayable.

Worst assassins creed ever. DO NOT GIVE UBISOFT YOUR MONEY, they are screwing you, the customer, over
  16. Feb 7, 2015
    As of February 2015, this game still has bugs that causes crashing and other odd things to happen. Ubisoft sold an unfinished game that needed many months more testing.

As for the game itself, it is the same old derivative crap, flat characters, uninteresting story, simple combat, and stupid collectibles. The parkour is improved and combat is better for sure, but they still aren't even close to as good as Shadow of Mordor.

I really think this will be the last time I am tricked by Ubisoft unless the next one gets rounds of 9's and 10's and is certified bug free. Therefore, I'll likely never play another Assassin's Creed in my lifetime.
  17. Nov 11, 2014
    Ubisoft really need to take more time to FINISH their games before they release them. Scheduled yearly releases don't work, especially with games getting more complex.
  18. Nov 13, 2014
    This game is repetitive, the most funny fact is that it runs at 720p and 20 FPS, is a bad product full of glitches and poor optimized. In the market there are better products for the same price. UbiLoL again cheating gamers.
  19. Nov 13, 2014
    In game micro-transactions.....I have to give it a zero because I won't be buying it.......

I understand the psychology of putting them in the game as well. If I have to go on-line to a "store" then I can ignore it but to put a chest in game that I cannot/will not open pisses me off.........

No thanks.
  20. Nov 11, 2014
    The good news? For the first time, Ubisoft actually TRIES to change and innovate the gameplay which literally has been a copy-paste for the last six games.

The bad news? It's done in such a terrible and lazy way it really makes you wonder if they even played it themselves before release. The game should have been in development AT LEAST for another year. I hadn't even gotten though my first 20 minutes before I started stumble upon major bugs and glitches. This is non acceptable, and to call this a final product is a complete slap in the face to all AC fans out there.

I'm devastated that Ubisoft has gone from being one of the most respected studios in the gaming industry to an absolute joke. I'm devastated that my and many others favourite game series, Assassins Creed, has become nothing more than a cash and grabb game, and I'm devastated that this game will sell more than enough for them to keep them motivated of releasing none finished products.

One thing is sure though, I will never buy another Ubisoft game in my life, and I recommend everyone who's sick of the way Ubisoft treats their fanbase to do the same.
  21. Nov 11, 2014
    Same gameplay from the last 5 assasin's creed ... This is a joke, all assasin's creed are the same: repetitive, boring, toooooooo easy with a really stupid IA and no challenge, same moves and animations ...

If you're playing in Pc expect heavy fps drops. Even with a great graphic card this game doesn't run as smooth as it should. Thanks again Ubisoft
  22. Nov 13, 2014
    I would say that AC Unity is a good game. Nice Graphics, good Gameplay and Story. The Control of Arno is a little bit confusing and sometimes he reacts wrong or goes to another direction. AC Unity also has a lot of performance problems. But the big problem with this game is, that UBISOFT started the Microtransactions. That makes the Game a bit **** Stop that Ubisoft, your Money greed isI would say that AC Unity is a good game. Nice Graphics, good Gameplay and Story. The Control of Arno is a little bit confusing and sometimes he reacts wrong or goes to another direction. AC Unity also has a lot of performance problems. But the big problem with this game is, that UBISOFT started the Microtransactions. That makes the Game a bit **** Stop that Ubisoft, your Money greed is disgusting. Expand
  23. Nov 13, 2014
    Buggy, boring, repetitive garbage. ""nihil novi sub sole" seems to be Ubisoft's new business motto. Worst entry in the series to date. I hope ubisoft (and it's customers) learn a valuable lesson from this heap of rubbish.
  24. Nov 11, 2014
    Not at all the game I was hoping it to be. I've run into countless bugs, poor collision detection with NPCs, frame-rate that ranges from okay to abysmal, and not had a whole lot of fun with the actual game.
  25. Nov 11, 2014
    This game found out how to just make me hate it completely within the first 2 hours. First off, it runs very poorly, if there is ever any more then 10 people on screen, your frames will drop. Second, the character never does what I tell him too, I spent a good 5 minutes running at a chest-high wall to progress through the game. Third, it is filled with micro-transactions that are horriblyThis game found out how to just make me hate it completely within the first 2 hours. First off, it runs very poorly, if there is ever any more then 10 people on screen, your frames will drop. Second, the character never does what I tell him too, I spent a good 5 minutes running at a chest-high wall to progress through the game. Third, it is filled with micro-transactions that are horribly priced, you buy special currency to unlock weapons/clothes faster, but it costs around $10 in the currency to buy one sword. And finally, the game just crashes on me, if I spend too long on the pause screen, then run around for a few seconds, it crashes. Never before have I hated a game so much within the first 2 hours. Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2014
    Another unoptimized rushed game from Ubisoft, poor FPS and tons of bugs. If you are planning to buy this game wait for Ubisoft to fix them first. The only
  27. Nov 11, 2014
    How can anybody still be interested in this rubbish? And now not only is it boring because of the yearly releases it also plays terribly. Low FPS. Screen tearing.
  28. Nov 11, 2014
    Got the XBOX 1 bundle w/Unity and the game is unbelievable and not in a good way. Screen-tearing is rampant; actually, almost constantly since Arno's introduction in the game. Imprecise controls with lots of wiggle-room. Obviously, I have not completed the game and, normally, I would have completed any game prior to any written op-ed pieces but this, this. . . .

Glad it was free

Glad it was free with the console is the "nicest thing" I can write at this point---- smh :(
  29. Nov 11, 2014
    To be honest, i would rate this game a lower rating. Most of the people haven't even played the game till its end and still rate this a 1 or 0 out of 10. I have to admit that this game is just poorly optimized and that is the reason we should blame Ubisoft. Thanks to the optimization, we get a lot of glitches and framerate problems. But the rest of the game is just great! Everything hasTo be honest, i would rate this game a lower rating. Most of the people haven't even played the game till its end and still rate this a 1 or 0 out of 10. I have to admit that this game is just poorly optimized and that is the reason we should blame Ubisoft. Thanks to the optimization, we get a lot of glitches and framerate problems. But the rest of the game is just great! Everything has been improved since the last game and we get a much more interesting protagonist, much more sidequest, a better open world experience. I am not the person who is only looking at the graphics and rating the game only for its graphics. I rate the game for how much fun i had and i give this game a 7 because the optimization was the biggest issue and that caused some annoying problems when i was playing. I should wait for this game when there are more patches released. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2014
    It's Assassin's Creed with lots of bugs, a shocking frame rate and micro tranasctions of up to $100USD enjoy!

Another game pushed to market beforw it was read foe release. Keep up the good work Ubisoft, you will be taking away EA's golden turd in not time at this rate.
  31. Nov 11, 2014
    This game is a complete mistake filled with bugs, is rubbish graphics Suffered a fall, is not the same game That was Presented for months and saw in the trailers, is the opposite, not recommended, assassin of bug is totally reprehensible to do incomplete games
  32. Nov 11, 2014
    Why would you spend $60 on a game that's been out for 5 years? It's just like every other assassin's creed, but with different characters and a different story. But if you want another assassin's creed game, then you really shouldn't be looking at the ratings, because it's going to be the same game every year, and if you like AC, then you'll like this game.
  33. Nov 11, 2014
    Let me start by telling you that I use metacritic for the sole purpose(s) of finding out what other people thought of/think about a game before I make my own decision on whether or not to get the game. This is my very first review here being I did not have that opportunity this time. I still wanted to see what people thought, so I came to read some of the reviews. Now, who am I to tellLet me start by telling you that I use metacritic for the sole purpose(s) of finding out what other people thought of/think about a game before I make my own decision on whether or not to get the game. This is my very first review here being I did not have that opportunity this time. I still wanted to see what people thought, so I came to read some of the reviews. Now, who am I to tell someone what they should think of a game? I can only and will only speak for myself when I tell you that I don't think this game deserves any less than a 7 from anyone for many reasons. Biggest one being that this is one HELL of a game. I absolutely love it thus far. The movement/free running is the most fluid I've seen in any Assassin's game. Other than the very first entry, I've played them all, and this is by far the best. Graphically, it looks amazing. People who are rating this game a 0 are definitely hating on the game for reasons unbeknownst to myself. I think some people have these super high unrealistic expectations that these "new gen" systems are supposed to have graphics and movement like real life tv shows, and they very easily forget that it's STILL A GAME!!! There is so much content in this game its mind boggling, 1 of every 4 buildings is able to be passed through, or even open to explore. THAT'S what the new gen systems are doing. You couldn't possibly fit everything in this game on a 360 version, hence why we got 2 titles this year. This game is fantastic, and every minute that I've played so far, I've felt like I got my money's worth. The sound is A-1, graphically you'd be very hard pressed to find something better, I mean what other game can show you a whole crowd of 100+ people and all have distinguished facial features? Gameplay is phenomenal, and I would recommend this to anyone that is into action/adventure games like this. Now, whether you not you take my advice is obviously totally up to you, but remember one thing, I gain nothing by "selling" you a game, and still gain nothing by bashing a game that doesn't deserve it. This game isn't perfect, but name 1 that is? Even the games with a "10" rating are still very flawed, just look at GTA V. This game is a solid 9.5, but since I can't do .5, I'll make it an even 10 to combat these ridiculous idiotic reviews. Play the game, you'll love it! Expand
  34. Nov 11, 2014
    **READ THIS IF YOU WANT AN HONEST REVIEW** . I have no reason to give credit where it isn't due, but anyone who gave this game a 0 is trolling, or is bitter for some reason. There are very few games that deserve a 0, especially AC Unity. I'm really surprised that his game didn't get stronger reviews. I have been playing it since launch and have been EXTREMELY impressed with it so far. The**READ THIS IF YOU WANT AN HONEST REVIEW** . I have no reason to give credit where it isn't due, but anyone who gave this game a 0 is trolling, or is bitter for some reason. There are very few games that deserve a 0, especially AC Unity. I'm really surprised that his game didn't get stronger reviews. I have been playing it since launch and have been EXTREMELY impressed with it so far. The graphics are outstanding, the game play is amazing, and the story is very well written. If you played and enjoyed black flag, you will love this game Expand
  35. Nov 11, 2014
    Let me be up front...I love the Assassins series, always have. And since I have played EVERY iteration of the series, I was looking at Unity from a different perspective. I wanted to see if it truly plays like a next gen game and it does...very well. The first thing I noticed was that there are a lot of people, everywhere you go. And I mean a lot. I recall in previous versions of theLet me be up front...I love the Assassins series, always have. And since I have played EVERY iteration of the series, I was looking at Unity from a different perspective. I wanted to see if it truly plays like a next gen game and it does...very well. The first thing I noticed was that there are a lot of people, everywhere you go. And I mean a lot. I recall in previous versions of the game that the further you progressed, the more people you would have to navigate through. In the first hour of the game, I have bounced off and worked through thousands of citizens, and it doesn't feel too cluttered. I have noticed some minor glitches running through the crowds (sometimes people further away appear from seemingly nowhere) but frankly it seems to serve as a subtle reminder that I am in the animus and there is a bigger game being played around me.

When I play AAA games, I love to see if I am going to get bored quickly, and in Unity, there is plenty to do. The control schematic people have complained about is actually very sound. Trust me...there were a lot more control issues in black flag (how many times did you have to restart a mission because you fell to your death trying to descend a large mast?) and unity provides a much smoother experience than previous games. For veteran Creed players, there is a small learning curve because intuitively, you just want to run head on into walls to jump up, but there are now specific controls to do so. It took a few attempts to get used to it, but it is pretty easy once you get there.

The landscapes are massive and beautiful. The characters are the best I have seen in the new generation consoles (although it seems that producing realistic hair is going to be a continued challenge). The story has a familiar feel to when we first met Ezio as opposed to Kenway, but it is fun to play through his progression. I am very satisfied with the game. In response to the micro transactions, here's an idea...actually play through the game and earn your gear. This game is one that needs to be experienced and soaked up at an in depth pace. I have taken some time with it, and feel like I have just scratched the surface and can't wait to enjoy this game for hours on end. I am giving this game a perfect score, because I can't think of anything I would add to the experience. Best next gen game to date by far.
  36. Nov 11, 2014
    I have played a few hours of the game and am already completely and utterly enthralled in this game's seductively immersive and artistically realistic universe. The game is so fluid and it is evident that each of the game's major features has been entirely overhauled. This game is an incredibly refreshing and welcome installment in the franchise.
  37. Dec 30, 2014
    Before I begin, I've played AC1, 2 and Black Flag. I thought AC1 was okay, AC2 was amazing and I didn't like Black Flag.

The good: Map looks amazing, the NPCs look great, the AI is decent, voice acting is amazing and... umm, the story started out pretty cool, I guess? The bad: Firstly, the story is kind of blah once you get past the intro. In 1 & 2, the build ups to assassinations

The bad: Firstly, the story is kind of blah once you get past the intro. In 1 & 2, the build ups to assassinations were epic and it felt like you were doing something huge. In this, it's kind of like, "okay, I guess we'll kill that guy now."  Secondly, the main character isn't likeable at all. He comes off as a whiney, spoiled brat! It'd be one thing if he matured throughout the game, but he doesnt! Thirdly, the free running and climbing controls still feel sticky. After countless titles in this series, how is this still an issue? Lastly, the vast majority of side quests and co-op missions aren't fun, they feel like they were quickly added as filler and just like the other AC games, the collectables aren't worth it.

The ugly: Glitches, glitches and more glitches that STILL exist well over a month since it's release! (See other reviews or hell, the article on cracked dot com to learn about what's wrong with this game). Also, you know what isn't fun? Having to screw around on two different dumb websites and an awful mobile app to unlock a big chunk of in game collectables. What were they thinking?

In conclusion: Ubisoft clearly has a blatant disregard for consumers by releasing this game too soon. I feel bad for the people who put hard work into this game only to have Ubisoft swoop in and go "okay! It's time! Has to be out by November no matter what!"

Play this game if: they fix everything and give it away for free.
  38. Jan 6, 2015
    The game itself isn't necessarily bad.. The story is decent, and there is a lot to do. The co-op missions are fun, but it can be confusing trying to invite friends, as it is never explained. It isn't hard to figure out after a while, but it would be nice if there were a short tutorial. Also, there should be an option to co-op campaign and free roam, that would make the game a lot better.The game itself isn't necessarily bad.. The story is decent, and there is a lot to do. The co-op missions are fun, but it can be confusing trying to invite friends, as it is never explained. It isn't hard to figure out after a while, but it would be nice if there were a short tutorial. Also, there should be an option to co-op campaign and free roam, that would make the game a lot better. My main point, though, is the controls. They are FRUSTRATINGLY UNRESPONSIVE. I found myself having to MASH buttons, while continuing to be ignored, until my character finally responded, as if to make up for the delay, and would throw 3 smoke bombs WAY after the point. Combat controls are also unresponsive, even with perfect button inputs. You'll find yourself taking way more hits that you shouldn't be, because of sloppy coding. The game still has a lot of kinks and bugs to work through, and it is blatantly obvious that this game was nowhere near ready to be released. Expand
  39. Jan 11, 2015
    My score is generous for its beauty and life...but that's where it ends. It's buggy, the movement will leave you screaming at your character to do what you want him to do (aka go through a window, jump down from hanging on a ledge)...the co op missions (why me and my friends were looking forward to it) are dreadfully full of bugs...even 3 months after launch...its quite pathetic seeingMy score is generous for its beauty and life...but that's where it ends. It's buggy, the movement will leave you screaming at your character to do what you want him to do (aka go through a window, jump down from hanging on a ledge)...the co op missions (why me and my friends were looking forward to it) are dreadfully full of bugs...even 3 months after launch...its quite pathetic seeing the bugs I've seen trying to play with friends..including losing health to an invisible enemy you cant run away from or see. Ubisoft support is terrible...they have me reinstall my game (which takes hours) then the problems still there so they try to spin it off to a bad game save file..but alas we cant control our game save files anymore so according to them my only option is to delete my 99% done game and start over if I want their bugs fixed and to be able to open up these dreaded blue chests that are locked away behind a companion app that wont synce to ubisoft servers. My response: I'm not redoing 99% of my game just to find out the lag and not being able to sync to the companion app is still there! Sick of the spinoffs, sick of corporate greed rushing these unfinished/untested games...sick of companies not taking responsibility for their actions and issuing a recall, which is what should of been done in this game. If you think you will have fun doing co-op missions with friends, think again...its HORRIBLE...avoid at all costs. Expand
  40. Dec 21, 2014
    I love Assasssin's Creed but Unity is another Assassin's Creed 3, new engine, new feel, dry story. Both Unity and AC3 had the potential to be so good! But Ubisoft, for some reason or another, get carried away with crafting a new feel to the game that they forget the most important thing... a story. Yes it's fine if Connor wants to kill Charles Lee, but we need to feel the emotion behindI love Assasssin's Creed but Unity is another Assassin's Creed 3, new engine, new feel, dry story. Both Unity and AC3 had the potential to be so good! But Ubisoft, for some reason or another, get carried away with crafting a new feel to the game that they forget the most important thing... a story. Yes it's fine if Connor wants to kill Charles Lee, but we need to feel the emotion behind why he wants to and we need to be taken on a journey with him. We don't want to get bored by the dryness of his character and we certainly don't want to walk away from the game pondering over how good it COULD have been.

Unity does this too, new engine which was f***ing buggy for a start, and a unsatisfying story. That's all I can really say. Ubisoft need to slow down, take a break and create something special. That's why AC2 was so good, they had time to think and create something magical.
  41. Feb 1, 2015
    I was one of the people who ignored the bad reviews for this game and was very excited. I was sorely disappointed. The game on a whole is good and, as a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series, I've enjoyed playing it. However, there were several key glaring mistakes that Ubisoft made. They got rid of whistling, replacing it with cherry bombs which do nothing and are one of the mostI was one of the people who ignored the bad reviews for this game and was very excited. I was sorely disappointed. The game on a whole is good and, as a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series, I've enjoyed playing it. However, there were several key glaring mistakes that Ubisoft made. They got rid of whistling, replacing it with cherry bombs which do nothing and are one of the most useless skills for stealth and luring enemies. In the absence of human shield, we are left with no way to counter gunshots unless we somehow dodge by rolling wildly on the ground. We can't move bodies, which is a pretty logical part of stealth in general so I can't even think of one good reason why they would get rid of it. We have to BUY basic skills like wielding a gun, double assassinations, double air assassinations, or throwing money on the ground (seriously, who can't do that!?). I understand the idea of specializing your Arno's abilities and skills, but they should have made it so that the skills that we purchase are actual special ones that a regular assassin of this series wouldn't already have. The Helix missions in which you time travel was also a very exciting aspect of this game, but again, Ubisoft fell flat. It could have been so much better that I think that, with the way it's been executed, Unity would have been better off without it. AC4 was so painfully superior to Unity that the "improvements" that Ubisoft claims to have made mean absolutely nothing. Also, eagle vision has a cooldown. I've played nearly all of the Assassin's Creed games and I have never had to have a cooldown. People may have complained that combat was too easy and that certain aspects make the gameplay too easy but these are the same people complaining about the changes that THEY demanded now. They are just as guilty as Ubisoft for completely crippling Unity, which had so much potential. I recommend this game for casual fans who know they won't be so disappointed by how much Ubisoft (and many of the fans of this game) messed up. I'd like to add that I don't hate this game; it's quite fun and I still love it, but it's low on my ranking of the Assassin's Creed games. If you think this game was as disappointing as I felt it was, turn to AC4 or Rogue. Unity can't really compare to these two. Expand
  42. Apr 14, 2015
    I'm giving this game a 6, because although I'm not finished with it, I intend to. So while my critique will seem to be focused on the negative, the game isn't awful (or cheap enough) to outright abandon. That being said...

I created my metacritic account to talk about this game, for the sole purpose of feeling better. I can't use facebook... this review had to be official, dammit. So here it is. AC: Unity is disappointing, in comparison to others in the series. And mind you, I wasn't blown away by the first, rather enjoyed the second, skipped the third, loved the Black Flag for all the wrong reasons... and then landed here. So it's not like I've always hated or loved them... I've been back and fourth from the beginning. But here are the main complaints I have that put this iteration near the bottom.

First, and foremost... Unity is so jumbled and disjointed, it's downright confusing at time. Not just mechanics (main mission versus everything else), but story and character development too. From the mechanics side, I know there is the usual "exclamation point" main mission... but one memory in, I'm walking towards that and it's telling me "you should probably have a higher level before continuing." But... how? I just started, I thought. Thankfully, the internet explained that I could ignore that and continue, or do a million other missions. I haven't even been introduced to lockpicking... but I apparently need to do it. Oh look, a murder I can investigate... for some reason. I'm just saying, from a story point, there is no real goal for this character, except the half assed revenge plot going on, but that's nothing I really care about. And from the mechanics, the world is full of point of interest, side missions, creates, sparkly things, etc... but I'm only a couple hours in and I don't know what any of those things are. And the game makes no attempt (at least at this point) to talk about them. Just do them for the sake of doing them, I guess.

Next foul, in my mind, is the money grab. Well, not really. I don't have a Gold account, so I can't do the multiplayer which, I know... is lame. But I'm a loner, dottie... a rebel. Anyway, the game KNOWS that I'm not on that level, because it tells me every time... so for them to have these red coop missions scattered without allowing me to turn that **** off... it's bothersome.

Next, the environment and beauty of Paris are problematic for two reasons. One, for as nice as it is to see inside certain buildings, and to see the dirty road, and every box, and crowds of people... I feel my character is sluggish at best. I know, they have to show my guy shoving people out of the way, and smoothly leaping from box to (unintended, **** get the **** down man!) ledges... but that all takes time to animate. So I feel like it's taxing just moving. This is next gen... I shoudla been blown away by the environment AND the performance. And thus far, it's just not smooth.

Next... the mutha****in Nostadamus side missions. I appreciate (finally) that the game doesn't hold my hand. These are riddles that I have to find the hidden symbols throughout. But, as with the real guy... **** is gibberish. The map doesn't point out street names, so every time (here or in the murder mysteries) they talk about looking int he sewer under Rue ****off... I have no idea where Rue ****off is. Was I supposed to remember... I shouldn't have to google Paris to find out.

And maybe that's where all this comes from. Black Flag was fun, had new dynamics, and a decent story and character building. This... it's like they said **** all this... you like jumping on buildings... here's some more of that. Oh, you like those wrist knife things... here are those..." Oh yeah! Why the **** do I have to "earn" the ability to sit on a bench?!? What kind of bastard has to be taught that **** No other AC game or game that offered a bench, had you level up to sit the **** down.

Alright, I'm getting off course here.

Last rant; they said "paris is huge in this game" and it is. But c'mon... the first thing I did was go to all the high point and sync up. In black Flag... there were one million of those thing on little under 100000 islands (give or take.) If I finish Unity and never leave this Paris... I'll feel really let down.

Basically, I like it, I don't love it. So how do I sum that up. Okay... here goes.

You know when you were playing black flag, and you reach the end of the story, and suddenly all that was left to do was find treasures and that shiny triangle things? You ended the game at, what... 94% and now you were just playing to get to that 100%. It was kinda fun, but now it's just a chore.

That's this game from the getgo. It's a chore. It's a mildy fun, repetitive, chore with no immediate signs of a pay off, with as many mindlessly unecessary tasks thrown in to beef up the game. Don't want to murder anymore? How about you buy and spruce up cafes? ****
  43. Dec 18, 2014
    I can forgive a lot.
    I can forgive the well known glitches, delayed release, micro transactions and anything else the gaming press/public care to throw at Unity.
    I can forgive a lot.
    What I cannot forgive is the horrible combat system. Maybe I shouldn't have gone straight from playing Black Flag and then Rogue to playing Unity. Because the exciting, fluid and intuitive combat is gone. Combat has never been so slow and laborious in a game. Ever. It improves slightly as the story progresses but never to the degree that satisfies.
    I wish I hadn't played through Rogue in such a hurry as I miss the traditional AC experience as I am now looking for another game to play. Ubisoft ruined Far Cry with 3 & 4, AC with Unity and Splinter Cell with Blacklist.
    Ubisoft you need to shape up or ship out.
  44. Mar 18, 2015
    This is with the Forzas the most impressive next gen I've seen. The graphics are absolutely incredible. I couldn't believed. The music amazing. The history so far is really good, and really feel as a film. I like Arno more than the one in AC3 (I don't even remember his name). In general it feels new. The combat system much better, more fun and difficult. The free run better than ever.This is with the Forzas the most impressive next gen I've seen. The graphics are absolutely incredible. I couldn't believed. The music amazing. The history so far is really good, and really feel as a film. I like Arno more than the one in AC3 (I don't even remember his name). In general it feels new. The combat system much better, more fun and difficult. The free run better than ever. Paris, is just... wow.
    I just can say, I don't give it a 10 for some minor problems in the frame rate. I think it has to do with me doing something in the background, but not sure, its not there all the time, just when an absolutely amazing amount of people is on the screen... again huge, gorgeous, with new coop mode... all this people giving it trash, I'm quite sure they didn't even tried.
  45. Feb 27, 2015
    This game is almost as bad as AC3. A completely "updated" system for climbing has all the bugs of the previous system and new bugs to beat. I still end up stopping mid climb for no reason, jumping a different direction than desired and jumping on top of a cart and stopping while trying to free run. The only difference is now you have to push more buttons to do the same thing. AttentionThis game is almost as bad as AC3. A completely "updated" system for climbing has all the bugs of the previous system and new bugs to beat. I still end up stopping mid climb for no reason, jumping a different direction than desired and jumping on top of a cart and stopping while trying to free run. The only difference is now you have to push more buttons to do the same thing. Attention UbiSoft, the problem isn't with the free running, it's using the same controls for running and other actions. Changing the system but using the same controls solves nothing.

They also said they were going back to original AC trend of more stealth. I agree with that, the problem is they didn't bother to change the combat encounters. So now you are more stealthy but pretty much every mission forces you into combat against superior #s who kill you quickly. Even worse is that the checkpoint system is totally messed upon now. If you die you restart pretty much have to restart the mission (especially the "do something X times" missions). Even worse is that all the consummables you used in your previous attempt are still used up but the environment has been reset. How is this remotely fun? Add to this the fact that every group of enemy has ranged ppl with guns that take away half your health with each hit, is completely ignorant of what armor you have, can hit you through a crowd of people at any distance even while sprinting and can reload pretty fast.

Continuing on with the stupid decisions that Ubisoft made they decided to add RPG elements to the game. Attention Ubisoft, adding elements that you'll eventually unlock all of is not RPG. It simply prevents me from completing things faster. Nothing about the new leveling system makes sense or adds any value to the game. Too bad they have already announced another AC RPG game. Speaking of leveling what is the use? You gain a level but don't actually gain any new abilities. To get new abilities you have to play missions. Why are you leveling again?

This is a horribly bad attempt at a new AC. The environment is pretty but reused throughout the game. It seems like every enemy in the game is hunting for you even when you're walking around the city. It is kind of hard to feel like a silent assassin when every enemy picks you off as soon as you come into range, in a crowd of people who all look the same.
  46. Feb 6, 2015
    I tried so hard to like this game. I really did. But, I'm going to explain what's wrong with it, and I am going to ignore all of the game breaking bugs.

First off, the world has no life, whatsoever. Nearly every single mission available feels like a waste of time. Combat has been revamped, and by revamped, I mean it's extremely similar but you have less health. Importance has been placed on stealth, and by that I mean that the game's AI is inconsistent and will sometimes see you from several blocks away because you quietly stabbed a sniper, and other times won't see you from ten feet away under an identical situation.

The story is garbage, with character motivations randomly changing for really no reason. The character of Arno begins as a cocky aristocrat (like another famous assassin), but as soon as he joins the Assassins, all personality is **** from him and he becomes yet another growling Batman clone.

Other nitpicks include chests on the overworld that require REAL MONEY to open, other chests that require some kind of confusing companion smartphone game to open, voice acting that ranges from terrible to decent, extreme amounts of pop-in regarding crowds and textures, and a control scheme that seems like it was designed for someone whose recently gone blind and their hands are number and can't feel the buttons.

On top of all of this, the controls have been "improved" from previous entries in the series. You know how in all of the AC games, you'd occasionally grab onto things you didn't want to? Yeah, that happens ALL THE TIME now, nearly constantly, leading to an extremely frustrating experience.

If you want a next-gen game, get Dragon Age or Dying Light. This game is terrible on almost every single front. Ubisoft should be ashamed with how the treated this game. The ideas are there, like the clothing you wear affecting how you play, but every single one is improperly done, leading to a game that just plain isn't fun.

Avoid at all costs, whether you are a new player or returning fan.
  47. Feb 28, 2015
    This game is HORRIBLE. It's not because of the glitches, the graphics, or the laughable pop in. It's because the game is garbage at it's core. The control scheme fights you every time you try to do something. Blocking doesn't work about 80% of the time and rolling only works half the time, and sometimes your guy won't attack at all for no reason. So you're only hope while in combat is toThis game is HORRIBLE. It's not because of the glitches, the graphics, or the laughable pop in. It's because the game is garbage at it's core. The control scheme fights you every time you try to do something. Blocking doesn't work about 80% of the time and rolling only works half the time, and sometimes your guy won't attack at all for no reason. So you're only hope while in combat is to mash the "A" button hoping that the enemy dies before he can retaliate. Also the "stealth combat" or whatever is broken. I press the "b" button which is SUPPOSE to knock someone out but it doesn't work at ALL, Doesn't work when I'm crouched, doesn't work when I'm standing up, the only time it works is when I run and tackle but when I do that everyone magically detects me even though I'm the only guy in a 50 meter radius. The "stealth" is also a joke. Only one guy in a room and he see's me dart behind a table. Does he go investigate? No he goes back to looking out a window even though there's clearly someone else in the room with him. And other times I can be sticking my head into a guards rectum and he won't detect me. It's only if I'm in front of him so as long as your holding down left trigger your good to go. You can also never tell where to go because half the time they don't tell you when your in a general area and your "eagle vision" doesn't show you anyone. It doesn't help that every building and interior looks the same.

Go eat a dick Ubisoft Montreal.
  48. Nov 27, 2014
    The main problem with the game is that it is generally boring, repetitive, and not much has changed since the other 9001 Assassins Creed games. The story is boring for the most part, the main character, arno, is really boring. the gameplay is really repetitive and you end up doing the same thing over and over again. They really haven't added anything significant enough to the core gameplayThe main problem with the game is that it is generally boring, repetitive, and not much has changed since the other 9001 Assassins Creed games. The story is boring for the most part, the main character, arno, is really boring. the gameplay is really repetitive and you end up doing the same thing over and over again. They really haven't added anything significant enough to the core gameplay to warrant a new game, besides all the co-op stuff that i don't really care about. Expand
  49. Jan 7, 2015
    This IS prettier than AC black flag on XBO, but my experience with day one bugs like screen tear was horrific.
    To qualify. It has frame rate and screen tear issues on my 65inch UHD TV. It has far less issues on my much older (2007) 1080p 47inch LG TV.
    Story is lacking. New changes to controls are 'meh' Weapons are uninspired. This is by far the worst AC. I finished the story mode

Story is lacking.
    New changes to controls are 'meh'
    Weapons are uninspired.
    This is by far the worst AC.

I finished the story mode and there's 5 million side tasks (mostly find it stuff) but i could not be bothered.

I never tried multiplayer.. maybe that's great
  50. Mar 16, 2015
    Assassin's Creed Unity is a fantastic game in the series. As a longtime fan of the series, I found this entry both thrilling and innovative. The story is excellent, the gameplay improved, and multiplayer is awesome.
  51. Feb 19, 2015
    The low notes refer to bugs that the game had at its beginning . In my opinion is the BEST Assassins Creed , the graphics are great , parkour mechanics and combat the improved more , the map is better made and the underground parts are cool too, históra campaign is also good , the missions are well differentiated and missions Felix where we are led to 19th century Paris are amazing . AndThe low notes refer to bugs that the game had at its beginning . In my opinion is the BEST Assassins Creed , the graphics are great , parkour mechanics and combat the improved more , the map is better made and the underground parts are cool too, históra campaign is also good , the missions are well differentiated and missions Felix where we are led to 19th century Paris are amazing . And the side quests to solve murders are excellent. The game sinned unfortunately these bugs that the majority have been corrected and the end of the campaign is horrible . Note 9 Expand
  52. Dec 13, 2014
    (side note: Why even bother putting detective style missions into a game like this, there is a reason LA Noir took several years to finish)

First off, if you truly wanna know what it feels like to face marine snipes without having to risk your life in real life, purchase ACU. The enemies will bend bullets like in the film wanted for a quarter mile away. Unless you sell your soul to the macro-transactions, you will be a useless little turd of a character. Not to mention Arno's pure unadulterated hate for logical parkour. Unless you practice a parkour session in the free roam for 3 hours in between missions you will never master it. The controls for navigating even the most linear areas are just plain unusable.

There are still core issues that the game does not even address. Which **** at the studio suggests that they need to change the wall drop styles every year? Also, the huge inconsistancies in your characters parkour abilities. One moment he leaps 40 feet onto another ledge (no exaggeration); then proceeds to show no ability to progress a climb over a 10 foot wall with a box touching it.

Secondly, This game has nothing to do with the French Revolution. It is just sort of a background for your petty interactions. Then occasionally you jump into 1996 for some "Quantum Leap" and go into Paris in different times for God knows why (until later). While the usage of the machine gun on to shoot down German planes in WW2 was cool, it so out of place with the serious (and rather tedious). Why they advertised this as a history-heavy game I do not know.
    Finally, the god-damn missions. If you are not like me (exceptional at AC games) you will take upwards of an hour to complete small part of a sequence past 2-3. Killing certain figures takes 30 mins to prep the kills and another 5 to finish it. Sounds short, but when you feel how laborious that 35 mins was you will know. The co-op is okay, but the chance of finding someone any good at navigating the buildings and missions depends on your distance to an ivy-league university. Ubisoft knew the game wasn't finished in that matter so they simply took one from EA's playbook, and included absurd weapons for $10 +. I give the game a 1 because if you are intoxicated enough to play it again the wonky controls are a good laugh.
  53. Dec 1, 2014
    I am new to this series, and new to the Xbox One (got the AC bundle on Black Friday). Having said that, I am not impressed with either. Freezing, crashing, huge game sizes that took 14 hours to install on 75mbps FIOS (installed the AC bundle that came with my unit and bang, 20% of your HDD is full, really?) low frame rates and very clunky controls are just a few of my least favoriteI am new to this series, and new to the Xbox One (got the AC bundle on Black Friday). Having said that, I am not impressed with either. Freezing, crashing, huge game sizes that took 14 hours to install on 75mbps FIOS (installed the AC bundle that came with my unit and bang, 20% of your HDD is full, really?) low frame rates and very clunky controls are just a few of my least favorite things. The camera is very slow and sluggish and will arbitrarily decide where to point as you run along. It also will affect the frame rate a lot if you turn up both the X and Y axis sensitivity. And I don’t mean in a good way. The part where you play as the child in the beginning is especially annoying for these reasons. Having to press and hold up to 3 buttons at once all the time in order to do the simple things in this game, such as moving or climbing, gets old really really fast. Having to hold the right trigger the whole time to run is also something that really makes me scratch my head. I think this is a mechanic from the other games, it’s the only thing I can come up with for something that clunky being in a AAA, big-budget sequel. Analog sticks are very useful at doing things which can easily replace having to hold buttons down to accomplish.

The combat is the worst I have ever played in a 3rd person game. When you hit the parry button, the game’s engine stops and thinks about it for a second, same with attacking and dodging. I also do not like how the controls constantly change whenever a scene change occurs, which is probably why they put something in the upper right corner, because how else can anyone tell how to play this game? Climbing? Controls are different. Weapon unsheathed? Controls are different. And so on…

The music is also not very good on this game. I am left feeling boring and uninterested and music is what gives movies games and TV shows their excitement and passion. Watch a movie or show sometime without the music on and you will know what I am talking about. This game is boring and has no spirit even with the music playing. Not to mention that the game does not play any idle music while you are standing around looking at things or walking through Paris, but will play music the ENTIRE time that you have this game on your home screen and it is still running. This game wants you to pay attention to it really bad, but doesn’t want you to notice that it is both ugly AND singing out of tune.

The worst bug I have experienced and the one that is especially worrisome to me is that this game will crash and take my console with it, causing me to cycle the power in order to restore normal operation. I know that at some point pulling the plug repeatedly to accommodate crap games will cause the console to physically fail. I have close to 20 years in the IT field, and have never seen anything quite like the shenanigans that game companies pull with their big releases and their console hardware. It really does boggle the mind. I am pretty sure that there are patches that have been out for a while and I know that the Xbox installed one the other night, so why is this game still such a mess and not fun?

Having never played an Assassin’s Creed game up until this point, I do not really see the draw here. Is this a stealth game? A coop multiplayer experience? A third person RPG? A shooter? The other thing that this game introduces into the console arena is micro transactions in a AAA game. I think that sentence speaks for itself and this trend needs to stay on phone and tablet games as there is no place for charging extra money on a game that has a huge budget, a full retail price and from a company with a lot of money in the bank. I think a lot of reviewers and fans who rated these AC games quite high base their reviews on their experience and their love of the previous installments. Or they are paid for their high scores, as I cannot see any other reason for having such glaringly obvious blinders on. This game is terrible and Ubisoft deserves to not be rewarded for putting out this crap. To sum up, this game falls into none of the current genres and somehow tries to represent all of them at same time without being able to do any of them well or consistently. This game replaces fun and entertainment with tediousness, repetition and a façade of being graphically next-gen.
  54. Dec 8, 2014
    I am in love with Assassin's Creed but this game SUCKS. It should even be considered as an Assassin's Creed. TOO many changes. They're trying to hard and put everything that I hate about video games into one. The game should just be called Unity. TERRIBLE. I felt like crying.. Also the main character Arno is stupid and is a terrible Assassin. Even worse than Edward Kenway and he wasn'tI am in love with Assassin's Creed but this game SUCKS. It should even be considered as an Assassin's Creed. TOO many changes. They're trying to hard and put everything that I hate about video games into one. The game should just be called Unity. TERRIBLE. I felt like crying.. Also the main character Arno is stupid and is a terrible Assassin. Even worse than Edward Kenway and he wasn't even a real Assassin. Trailer is nothing like the actual game by the way. Expand
  55. Dec 14, 2014
    Recently i have played all the assassin's creed games from II to Unity and each has gotten better and more fun than the last, except for some major problems with Unity. The game itself is fine and enjoyable but after having lock out half the content due to bugs, and having to completely restart the game once, imagine my rage when my save data was once again wiped clean. As to Ubisoft'sRecently i have played all the assassin's creed games from II to Unity and each has gotten better and more fun than the last, except for some major problems with Unity. The game itself is fine and enjoyable but after having lock out half the content due to bugs, and having to completely restart the game once, imagine my rage when my save data was once again wiped clean. As to Ubisoft's promises of patches and free dlc i say this: better get the patches right because what good is dlc on a broken game? Expand
  56. Dec 17, 2014
    Oyun bitmemiş bile lan!Yılın en berbat oyunu.Adamlar resmen bitmemiş oyunu piyasaya sürüp bize 250 tl'yi sokmaya çalışıyorlar!Hayır anlamıyorum steam'deki erken erişim oyunlar bile bu şeyden daha iyi.Bu şey oyun değil!
  57. Dec 21, 2014
    An awful excuse of a Game I thought Battlefield 4,Driveclub and The Master Chief Collection where bad but this one takes the cake, A game so broken it has had around 4 patches the last being a whopping 4 GB and since the Xbox Ones harddrive is unreplaceable that is precious memory it is wasting on a very average game.
    This franchise really needs to go away now I mean it was bad enough
    This franchise really needs to go away now I mean it was bad enough every single year but this time Greedysoft decided to make not one but 2 Assassins Creed games and thanks to their greed this deformed infant came screaming out the womb if it wasn't bundled with my Xbox One I wouldn't of brought it and the worst thing of all is because Microsoft only bundle download codes I am now stuck with it......
    It is like a curse on my console if you actually have the option to not buy this game then don't not even when they bring out the excuse that it is "Fixed" the game is still boring and repetitive exactly the same as the old Assassins Creeds minus a likeable character or meaningful plot.
  58. Dec 26, 2014
    Hmk, so I run this on the Xbox then it downloads every separate damn sequence? I reach the end of the first then its this huge download. I leave it to run for a day. I go back and it's there, and it's complete. try to access it but it's frozen. Then it shuts down. I turn back on the Xbox and here it is back at 1%. I would not reccomend this if you are not a patient person. The first partHmk, so I run this on the Xbox then it downloads every separate damn sequence? I reach the end of the first then its this huge download. I leave it to run for a day. I go back and it's there, and it's complete. try to access it but it's frozen. Then it shuts down. I turn back on the Xbox and here it is back at 1%. I would not reccomend this if you are not a patient person. The first part of the gameplay was fantastic but it's these **** downloads.

NOTE- I GOT THIS ON A DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.
  59. Jan 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well...Let us start this review with a small intro to my reasons for writing this. I love the Assassin's Creed Series and I absolutely would be an Assassin.

***SPOILERS***

However, in the new game, Arno, is a Frenchman who has a tendency to steal before joining the assassins and I thought that was the coolest thing. After playing a few minutes, I noticed that a few chests could not be opened because I need an app on my phone to open them.

This is a f*cking hassel. Don't even bother because the chests don't count toward sync.

Moving on, next, I've noticed while free running that Arno is a bit grabby. While in previous games, the free run element has been more free, Arno seems to want to stay off the ground as much as possible. When the player holds down the free run key and tries to lower themselves to the ground, Arno takes more time and if trying to wall eject to the ground, Arno will grab the building across.

P.S: You have to buy many skills that are essential to making the game fun as well as playable. The player must buy skills such as Roll Recovery. Rolling once hitting the ground.

Finally, I'll just say the combat in this game sucks. Straight up. Once again I'll note previous games. In previous games such as Assassin's Creed III, Connor could take on armies of enemies because he could use people as human shields and if you spammed the "parry" button during combat, you were literally invincible. Now however, Arno just feels like using human shields is SO cliche and you do not even have the choice to perform the defensive move. Also, Arno cannot whistle. If you are hiding in a haystack or behind a corner, Arno cannot whistle to call enemies to "kill" range.

This makes the game all around more challenging as well as a huge waste of time.

Finally Part 2: Game mechanics.
    I died in a mission because the combat obviously sucks, but that's besides my final point.
    If Arno is roaming the streets, Extremists, or the people dressed in red, yell slurs at Arno and no one else. And to make it worse, they become aggressive and walk up to Arno unless he runs away. Now, once I respawned, I spawned next to 3 of these Extremists. They did not take kindly to my existence and skipped the slurs and just attacked me. Now, one just decided that they would go off screen and shoot me. Wonderful. I rage quit and will probably never play the game again.

They only reason that I am giving this review a 1 is because the economy system is quite nice. I don't know any of my friends who are poor on the game because Arno owns a Cafe/Theater. The Cafe brings in revenue and it all goes to Arno. That's freaking awesome.

Well, I hope at least one person reads this and saves their money on buying a sh*tty game. :D
    You're welcome everyone.
  60. Jan 10, 2015
    Now, I love the Assassin's Creed franchise but this is by far the worst one. They've made the combat so that you can't fight more than three people at one because you will get absolutely destroyed. Also they have crammed way too much stuff into this game which makes it nearly impossible to find things on the map even with the legend. To be fair the free running has been greatly improvedNow, I love the Assassin's Creed franchise but this is by far the worst one. They've made the combat so that you can't fight more than three people at one because you will get absolutely destroyed. Also they have crammed way too much stuff into this game which makes it nearly impossible to find things on the map even with the legend. To be fair the free running has been greatly improved from other games so it gets some brownie points there but overall I would give it a miss Expand
  61. Jan 13, 2015
    This game sucks. Simple as that really. The game lacks any originality( Even the first Assassins creed game was awfully dull). I did not have fun playing this game at all. Controls are bad, game-play is bad, and graphics are sub par compared to other next gen games I own, and Characters are some of the worst I have ever seen. You will hate the main character/protagonist you play as fromThis game sucks. Simple as that really. The game lacks any originality( Even the first Assassins creed game was awfully dull). I did not have fun playing this game at all. Controls are bad, game-play is bad, and graphics are sub par compared to other next gen games I own, and Characters are some of the worst I have ever seen. You will hate the main character/protagonist you play as from the very start. What really bothers me is the prevalence of micro-transactions. Seriously ubisoft and all other companies using micro transactions can **** off, I will never purchase a Ubisoft game ever again in my entire life. I wouldn't even be that mad if it was some dlc(okay, that's still a bunch of crap that they push small not-worth-the-money dlc,but micros-transactions?).

I would not ever reccomend this game, even to my worst enemy, it is really that bad.
  62. Jan 16, 2015
    In my opinion, the best game of this entire series remains to be the very first Assassin's Creed for one simple reason - Stealth actually mattered. Assassin's Creed: Unity has at least attempted to bring back this aspect.

Many negative reviews are likely due to issues with Ubisoft servers and the extreme amount of hype heaped onto this game, which would be nearly impossible to live up to. These are reviews for the game, however, not Ubisoft's servers. All in all, this is a decent title for the new generation consoles for a few reasons...

Combat is harder, for one. Fighting large groups of enemies is actually difficult, which is the way it should be. It stresses the need for stealth rather than just jumping down from buildings in plain view of enemies. The enemy AI will spot you faster if not blended or out of sight.

The other positive comes with the storyline assassination missions. Like the original title in the series, the player is given a general area of operations and it's the player's job to decide how to carry out the assassination. In most cases - it's entirely up to the player how to get the job done and there are multiple entryways and exits, meaning multiple methods of assassination.

Gameplay is spotty and oftentimes, the character will scale the environment when you simply just want to run away on foot. At the same time, descending environments is made a lot easier simply by holding the 'RT' and 'B' buttons - your character will automatically descend to ground level.

There is no multiplayer. I personally loved the 'Wanted' game mode from Brotherhood and felt it's progressively gotten a little worse but it's still fun to play. So, when I found out there wasn't any kind of competitive multiplayer, I was extremely disappointed. Co-Op missions are decent enough but in all seriousness, are completely irrelevant to the story.
  63. Jan 24, 2015
    I love the AC series but after going straight from Black Flag to this... It's just not fun. Games are meant to be enjoyable and this is just a real slog. Overly complicated, full of technical glitches and utterly ridiculous controls. Score of two as Paris itself looks great, crowds feel realistic and there is plenty of content.

Also hate the way it's pushing for you to play online so

Also hate the way it's pushing for you to play online so much. If I want to play online, I will - stop forcing the issue!
  64. Feb 28, 2021
    Playing it on Xbox series X, wow, it’s incredible at 60fps and looks amazing, played it on the original PS4 for a couple of hours when it first came out and couldn’t get on with it, it feels like a next gen title now
  65. Jan 15, 2022
    One of the best games of all time, even with it's flaws, it's still better than Sony movie games.
  66. Feb 15, 2022
    Assassin's Creed Unity is absolute marvelous masterpiece in every sense of that word! Best parkour of whole series, likable and relatable main character, Absolutely stunning graphics, level of detail, enterable buildings and fantastic music. Easily top 3 of whole series!
  67. Nov 17, 2014
    I think this game is getting totally unfairly trashed.
    I think this game is getting totally unfairly trashed.
    Everything that makes Assassin's Creed a great game is in here. A deep complex story. Insane environments. And more. The parkour and navigation around the city has loosened up and they have thrown in a few new moves and jumps that are a fresh addition. The graphics are great and the activity going on around the bustling city is noticeable compared to past releases. I have read about a ton of the bugs that have been reported but I've played through the first two sequences and the only glitch I have had is a few jump frames and a few times I tried to pull my blade nothing happened. But the overall AC experience is here in this game and has met all of my expectations. Giving it zeroes, I don't get it. Complaining that its the same thing with the series over and over again? Why did you buy it? Did you want to put in your AC game and play candy crush, or drive a car? It's easy to tear something apart and get on a bandwagon. I make up my own mind and I find the game a welcome addition to my AC library/experience. I cant wait to get into Rogue. The microtransactions are kind of disappointing, seems like developers want to get more money all the time, via DLC packs, Season Passes and microtransactions. Not a fan of them so I simply don't spend microtransactions. period. I dont lower the score of the overall game to a zero or a one because of it. I love the game so far, Ubisoft is addressing some of the issues and will prob continue to do so. An AC fan here, going stro0ng.
  68. Nov 14, 2014
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I absolutely love the Assassin's Creed franchise, and Black Flag was my favourite of the series, but after getting Unity I have no plans to purchase any more Ubisoft games. The game isn't finished, poorly optimized resulting in frame rate drops the entire game. I have tried to ignore it and just play but they make the game unplayable, and Ubisoft support offers noDO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I absolutely love the Assassin's Creed franchise, and Black Flag was my favourite of the series, but after getting Unity I have no plans to purchase any more Ubisoft games. The game isn't finished, poorly optimized resulting in frame rate drops the entire game. I have tried to ignore it and just play but they make the game unplayable, and Ubisoft support offers no help in fixing/compensating. Expand
  69. Nov 15, 2014
    This game is an unpolished mess. Texture popping, low framerate and terrible audio bugs make this game almost unplayable. I would advise people not to buy this game.
  70. Nov 14, 2014
    Much promised and kept nothing.

Technically better than the PC version but still far away from what we were promised at gaming conventions. The frame rate is ridiculous.
    Otherwise, the game features the old boring things that already had the predecessor.
  71. Nov 14, 2014
    Lets start with that this game is no diffrent from other Assasin Creed games. Gameplay is booring and repetitive. AI is so stupid that it makes no challenge at all. Story is bad too it doesnot even feel like Paris or its revolution to me at all... Only good side about that game is graphics but still you cant play it without best graphic card because optimization is so bad that even my gtxLets start with that this game is no diffrent from other Assasin Creed games. Gameplay is booring and repetitive. AI is so stupid that it makes no challenge at all. Story is bad too it doesnot even feel like Paris or its revolution to me at all... Only good side about that game is graphics but still you cant play it without best graphic card because optimization is so bad that even my gtx 760 cannot handle it.. I dont know what wrong with game creaters these days but they dont respect us at all anymore, its all about money and saddest thing people are still buying their products... Expand
  72. Nov 14, 2014
    I love ac series.. i played them all but unity is awful many glitches, fps drops and story is worse than first ac storyy: ubisoft ruined another great game......
  73. Nov 14, 2014
    this crap is frackin pay to win. its unbelievable. early missions give you less than 1000 credits where you need more than that to just stack up your consumables. 5 phantom arrows cost 1000 credits. game is designed so that you use their micro transaction system. and the effin' controls. sometimes, when im up a tower to synchronize, before i know it, i jumped down in style. totally buggythis crap is frackin pay to win. its unbelievable. early missions give you less than 1000 credits where you need more than that to just stack up your consumables. 5 phantom arrows cost 1000 credits. game is designed so that you use their micro transaction system. and the effin' controls. sometimes, when im up a tower to synchronize, before i know it, i jumped down in style. totally buggy and unplayable. when im fighting in small areas the camera cant show npc's bars and its impossible to know when to parry without seeing their bars so i go down in style.......before i even know what happened. utter **** ubisoft. btw i just created this account to rage abt this game. Expand
  74. Nov 17, 2014
    Assassin's Creed Unity is a great way to relaunch the series on the new gen consoles. It ditches the boat combat that has plagued the series for two(now three with Rogue) installments and gone back to its roots. There's you and a huge realized open world with dozens of hours of content to play. The game runs fairly smooth considering everything happening in the game and I have onlyAssassin's Creed Unity is a great way to relaunch the series on the new gen consoles. It ditches the boat combat that has plagued the series for two(now three with Rogue) installments and gone back to its roots. There's you and a huge realized open world with dozens of hours of content to play. The game runs fairly smooth considering everything happening in the game and I have only experienced minor frame rate issues and glitches. Unity's story is nothing to fantastic, but is interesting enough to keep you going back to it. Another huge thing that has been added to the franchise, is extensive customization which finally let's you make your assassin feel unique. I would say buy Unity if you like the series or if you looking for a jump in point, because this is it! Expand
  75. Nov 27, 2014
    This game is a piece of turd. It's extremely buggy, tons of pop-in, low framerate, bad controls, glitchy, has DLC costing up to $100, poorly optimized, and has a bad story. Do not buy this game!
  76. Dec 12, 2014
    all i have to say is WTF WERE YOU THINKING UBISOFT!!!!!!! never buy THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!f
  77. Dec 11, 2014
    If you liked Assassin's Creed 2 more then the more recent games in the series you'll enjoy Unity a fair amount. It feels like it's going back to its roots slightly, With lots of buildings to scale/explore and a story reminiscent of the second game. The game-play and controls are usually where most the frustration comes from playing these games and sadly not to much has changed. Over andIf you liked Assassin's Creed 2 more then the more recent games in the series you'll enjoy Unity a fair amount. It feels like it's going back to its roots slightly, With lots of buildings to scale/explore and a story reminiscent of the second game. The game-play and controls are usually where most the frustration comes from playing these games and sadly not to much has changed. Over and Over I found myself dying/frustrated when I wouldn't clime a wall or jump through a window. Other things like the cover system suffer the same problem. Sadly the game is infested with bugs as well, even after an update that reportedly fixed 300+ Bugs.
    One of the new additions in Unity is the Co-Op Missions, they range from 2-4 player and reward you with new gear and are usually are slightly more difficult. Sadly most the time I disconnected from my group but the ones I did complete where very fun. The most original thing the game does is take to you different eras of time and you do missions on the Eiffel Tower and other historical parts of Paris.
    Overall I feel like Assassin's Creed Unity is wasted potential, Good ideas but poor execution. I hope they keep heading in this direction with the series but work on there bug fixes and creativity.
  78. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having just completed the game, I feel this to be the worst entry in the series. About midway through I got so frustrated with it that I just wanted to hurry and complete it, no game should make you feel that way.
    It is well known now that this game was released a horribly glitchy mess - this couldn't be more true. The frame rate is inconsistent, and this should not be on a AAA title released by a major studio, frame rate should be one of the development priorities! Throughout my play time the game froze three times, all forcing a restart; this occurred in areas that were completely empty! Additionally, screen tearing abounds! If that wasn't enough, my character would die for no apparent reason whenever I had to jump through a rift portal!
    Glitches aside, let me run through the gameplay problems that plagued this title:
    Ubisoft was raving about their new "parkour" system, how it would make movement more fluid and be easier to control. It isn't new. It's literally the same system that's been in every assassin's creed game to date - they all had parkour! What is new is that the controls are now infinitely worse; they are so similar, and yet so much worse. Arno will now get stuck climbing on a wall and you'll have to randomly hit A to jump. So you think that you always have to push it when you want to climb, but no! Only at some parts of the wall you are climbing do you have to do this. When you finally realize you are supposed to push A, you'll get to enjoy watching Arno seize on the wall for a few minutes before he actually makes the jump.
    And this applies to EVERYTHING in the game, he's so much clunkier than his predecessors (and they were all very clunky themselves). Want to run away from guards chasing you? Too bad! You'll get stuck on this chair and won't get off no matter how hard you try for a good five minutes!
    Speaking of the guards, I don't understand why they needed to amp up their difficulty so much. In the previous games your character was essentially unstoppable, there weren't that many hard segments. In this title however, they went overboard in the opposite direction! Guards come in different levels based on the diamonds above their head, and guards of the maximum level are very difficult to kill (they dodge constantly and always defend); the "break defense" option is no longer there, instead you must purchase a skill to let you do this. I like the idea they were going for, but they executed it horribly. On almost every mission it is impossible for someone not to see you, and when they do they will magically alert EVERYONE. You will go from being completely hidden to being discovered and having ten guys on you in seconds; it's completely unrealistic. It's as if all the guards communicate through telepathy and they instantly know where you are at all times, and they can also guide bullets as well, because THEY NEVER MISS.
    That's right, they never miss their shots. You are told you can dodge bullets by pushing A, but this never works. Try running away into a dense crowd of people and you will still get shot, from any distance. And no other person will be hit but you either! This was one of the most aggravating aspects of the game to me. Arno trained with the Assassins and yet knows nothing that his predecessors did: he can't use human shields at all, you must unlock the ability to kill more than two people (ground or air), you must unlock guns, you must unlock the money pouch...
    Story wise the game is average. It blurs the lines between the Assassins' and Templar's motivations, but it doesn't have many memorable characters. There were very few recognizable people, and after your struggle to achieve your goal, you are told at the end that it didn't really matter! In truth, I felt this game portrayed the Assassins negatively.
    Overall, I would not recommend this game to anyone.
  79. Nov 14, 2014
    Something smells in here. How could critics gave 90 and more point and users just around 30 ??? This really stinks dear "professional game reviewers". Shame on you.
  80. Nov 14, 2014
    I've loved the Assassins Creed games since the very first one and bought all of them on the 360. Having recently bought an Xbox One I've been eagerly awaiting AC:Unity. The game itself is quite fun, I can even, just about, forgive the all of the bugs and issues in the game at launch. Having to download the companion app and fart around on there to unlock things in the game is beyondI've loved the Assassins Creed games since the very first one and bought all of them on the 360. Having recently bought an Xbox One I've been eagerly awaiting AC:Unity. The game itself is quite fun, I can even, just about, forgive the all of the bugs and issues in the game at launch. Having to download the companion app and fart around on there to unlock things in the game is beyond irritating, but what is completely unacceptable to me though is the micro-transactions in a £50 game. It's disgusting and if I'd known they were going to be in there I would not have bought it. Expand
  81. Nov 19, 2014
    I'll never buy a game again the day it comes out...I feel like I'm playing the beta for Unity, Ubisoft, you let me down. The new rainbow six game you have coming out, I would have purchased it day one. It'll be week 3 and after many user reviews ( not critics ) before I ever again spend a dollar on you.
  82. Nov 16, 2014
    This game is absolutely poop. The frame rate is terrible, and the gameplay is so much similar to Black flag. This is really starting to irritate me because I thought this game would be innovating with the "coop" experience. The coop is literally 4 people running around assassinating "evil" individuals while having no face because of this stupid glitch that keeps happening! I guess UbisoftThis game is absolutely poop. The frame rate is terrible, and the gameplay is so much similar to Black flag. This is really starting to irritate me because I thought this game would be innovating with the "coop" experience. The coop is literally 4 people running around assassinating "evil" individuals while having no face because of this stupid glitch that keeps happening! I guess Ubisoft won here, because they got my money and yours! I hate you Ubisoft, please perish. Expand
  83. Nov 20, 2014
    Assassins creed is back in full strength! Ubisoft shows that they still got it in them to make good games. Revolutionary Paris is gorgeous to look upon and is absolutely brimming with stuff to do. Side missions, murder mysteries and co-op missions to name a few. The time period is interesting and Ubisoft has managed to capture what the french revolution was all about. Freedom, blood,Assassins creed is back in full strength! Ubisoft shows that they still got it in them to make good games. Revolutionary Paris is gorgeous to look upon and is absolutely brimming with stuff to do. Side missions, murder mysteries and co-op missions to name a few. The time period is interesting and Ubisoft has managed to capture what the french revolution was all about. Freedom, blood, fanaticism and colliding visions of where power should rest. The main story missions are varied and fun and Arno is a strong and motivated character. Arno isn't the only strong character in the game either.

The game does however have its problems. Ubisoft has filled the game with micro-transaction which I find annoying although it is far from game ruining. The story is, despite its interesting characters, a bit underwhelming and some bugs and crashes did appear. Stuff like this makes the game a little bit harder to enjoy but I still found it to be a fantastic game. Unity is more like the older AC games like AC2 and AC Brotherhood which is fine by me since those game where the series magnum opus according to me.

Unity was truly the game for me and after a couple of patches it will be even easier to enjoy. I strongly recommend that anyone that liked AC2, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations buys this NOW. And if you want to try out the Assassins creed franchise, Unity is the perfect place to start.
  84. Nov 17, 2014
    Unity brings the same feelings that i had playing AC2, it's awesome! And about the bugs, well, in my 9h play through i didn't encounter any of them except frame drops sometimes, if it wasn't for this i would give it a 10.
  85. Nov 22, 2014
    I can only talk about my experience with the game. I really liked it. I like the setting, the story, and the new crowd events. I appreciate the effort that they put into the new combat system. But I have experienced some slowdown in some of the bigger crowds.
  86. Nov 17, 2014
    best ac ever, (this is xone review not pc idiots) I like character customazion, lot of side-quest

+ good story
    + great graphics
    - bugs, glitches

9,5/10
  87. Nov 14, 2014
    Ok short:
    What sx there:
    1) A main story (plot) quite pathetic...seems like it was created just in 2-3 days before the release. Dumb emotions, dumb dialogues...nothing epic or dramatic at all! (Only kill kill kill revenge revenge drunk revenge kill kill) Even a Black Flag got 3+ dramaepic moments. 2) Music....is there any music? lol Ive heard only in credits after completin a game.
    Ok short:
    What sx there:
    2) Music....is there any music? lol
    Ive heard only in credits after completin a game. Because its quite ordinary and quiet. Again if we remember Black Flag (specially main theme) - epic epic epic.
    3) Optimization...there no f optimization in this game)) So forget about to play normally for few daysweeks till UnterSoft patch it.
    4) Activities and gear - sux. Wtf you tried to beat a Sherlock by addin an investigation missions? You failed. Gear looks good but if you dont want to participate in some Club stuff - you wont get a really good-lookin and useful.
    Ok now good side:
    1) Graphics....yeah yeah with awesomely crappy optimization it looks good. I cant call it NEXTGEN...but something like a PreNextGen.
    2) Movement. Yeah tricks and parkour became quite smooth and bett-ah. But still we can face some stupid fails with jumping on wrong walls and sides.
    Well thats it. Lmao but Unity sked from Black Flag and even a ACIII.
  88. Nov 14, 2014
    30 fps feels very sluggish. The scifi setup is stupid and ruins the immersion often, Movement glitches make sneaking almost impossible. Everybody has British accent in France, NPCs run against walls, glide everywhere and warp stupidly on objects. 1 point for trying to make co-op.
  89. Nov 16, 2014
    TLDR; Pirate this game, Ubisoft literally doesn't deserve anymore for it.
    This game is awful in so many ways, aside from the horrendous launch and all its bugs and performance issues, half the items and equipment is locked behind a smart phone app or co-op missions. Don't have a smart phone? Welp that sucks for you. Don't have a way to play co-op? Again sucks for you. Although
    you can
    TLDR; Pirate this game, Ubisoft literally doesn't deserve anymore for it.
    you can try and do the co-op missions solo good luck because the difficulty is scaled to that of having 4 player doing the mission. Besides all of those problems if you are still interested in trying this game, you may also like to know that the free running system is the worst out of all the games. Tear your hair out as you are trying to hop 1 foot away to a ledge only to jump about 10 feet to a ledge that is no where near wear you wanted to go.. Ubisoft doesn't deserve money for this pile of **** Go out and get a pirated copy, and save your money...
  90. Mar 26, 2016
    This is a mediocre game with a poor story

PROS
    -Smooth gameplay
    -Fun missions

CONS
    -extremely frustrating
    -Terrible story
    -Glitchy
    -Long loading times
  91. Nov 26, 2014
    Awesome game really, i was not playing every years to this series but this one is really astonnishing ! Graphics are just amazing, first next gen hit from my point of view. The city of Paris looks just as the real one, for the parisian i am it's just insane. And after 30 hours on this game, absolutly no bugs at all, i'm playong on Xbox ONE, i think it's just freebashing versus Ubisoft, soAwesome game really, i was not playing every years to this series but this one is really astonnishing ! Graphics are just amazing, first next gen hit from my point of view. The city of Paris looks just as the real one, for the parisian i am it's just insane. And after 30 hours on this game, absolutly no bugs at all, i'm playong on Xbox ONE, i think it's just freebashing versus Ubisoft, so i'm sorry but THANK YOU UBISOFT for this masterpiece ! Expand
  92. Nov 19, 2014
    An enjoyable game despite it's flaws. The setting is great. They've created a large version of Paris during the French Revolution, which is fun to explore. The missions can be challenging but not extremely difficult. On the downside, game load times are long and the game has frozen on me a few times. I also don't like the micro-transaction options that are offered. If I spend $60 on aAn enjoyable game despite it's flaws. The setting is great. They've created a large version of Paris during the French Revolution, which is fun to explore. The missions can be challenging but not extremely difficult. On the downside, game load times are long and the game has frozen on me a few times. I also don't like the micro-transaction options that are offered. If I spend $60 on a game, I don't want to be enticed to dish out extra $ to boost my character. Expand
  93. Dec 8, 2014
    I love how the critics give this crap 72 and users give it 35......... When did games become about beautiful surroundings and less about actual gameplay?

I was glad to see users rate it so low as all is not lost if we are to demand more from developers. Paris looks great. Its stunning. A masterpiece. The actual game is awful. The controls are terrible. The story is just

Paris looks great. Its stunning. A masterpiece. The actual game is awful. The controls are terrible. The story is just unimaginative dull drivel. There are bugs galore.

I believe there is some DLC to buy too but why bother extending a bad game with more bad game? They should pay me to play it rather than ask me for more money.
  94. Jan 23, 2015
    I purchased two XBOX ONE Unitiy bundles for XMAS, very disappointed. Since this game is BAD.

Bugs bugs bugs. Freezing, system lock up, uninstalled - re-installed. It must of been very hard for Ubisoft to make such a bad game. This game only redeeming feature is it looks good. Some of the bad, companion app, multi-player missions, chests. Weapons are bad, just terrible. The

Bugs bugs bugs. Freezing, system lock up, uninstalled - re-installed.

It must of been very hard for Ubisoft to make such a bad game.

This game only redeeming feature is it looks good.

Some of the bad, companion app, multi-player missions, chests.

Weapons are bad, just terrible. The Phantom blade is stronger than any gear in game. The character upgrades are bad.

As part of a bundle am I stuck with this pile of garbage?

I did like Black Flag, the other half of the bundle, in hindsight I should of picked another bundle.

This is a big sign saying STAY AWAY FROM UBI-SOFT.
  95. Jan 19, 2015
    This is the Assassin's Creed for which I've been waiting! Since the end of Ezio's storyline, I've felt that AC lost its identity in the search for something 'new.' The parts of AC I love returned some in AC: Rogue, but Unity brought back the game I've loved for so long.

Pros: Instead of a half dozen collection quests, Unity brought back meaning to it's side quests and adventures.

Pros:
    Instead of a half dozen collection quests, Unity brought back meaning to it's side quests and adventures. 'Cockades' and 'Artifacts' fulfill the usual go here, get this type quest. The subquests, "Paris Stories' and 'Murder Mysteries' are found around the map, but they are genuine subquests which build upon the history of France during the game's time period. The amount of actual history packed into the subquests is phenomenal. This also means that while the player character, 'Arno Dorian' gets to experience history as it take place around him, the actual mission quests are focused on him and his story. It's perfect! Additionally, the out-of-animus nonsense has been minimized a great deal. Instead of worrying about collecting tablets or other pseudo related content, the non-game time interactions are limited to critical points in the game, and serve the purpose of moving the story forward. Finally, this game is... about Assassin's! There are no selfish vengeful teenagers, selfish greedy pirates, Assassin's turned Templar, or rowboats to be found. Instead, you play an Assassin who joins up for the right reasons, and who stays loyal. You also get back your brotherhood of Assassin's, but it's with some caveats which I'll discuss below.

Cons:
    Eagle Eye and the skill system were nerfed a great deal. Eagle Eye can see through walls, but it has a timer and cool down. Additionally, enemies are not displayed on the map unless: the eagle eye timer is currently active, the player is in a restricted zone. Otherwise, you're flying blind. Skill wise, you must unlock your skills and you cannot unlock them all unless you play the co-op. In general, the co-op feels a bit shoved down your throat. In order to unlock every skill, you must complete the co-op. There is no way to turn co-op missions off (so they always sit there on your map, even if you've completed the mission). You can complete co-op missions by yourself, but most of them are far too difficult, particularly given that desynchronization restarts the entire memory. In other words, while you may finish the primary story line, unless you do cooperative game play, you miss hours of missions and cannot unlock every assassin skill. Frankly, it sucks for the avid single player and ought to be removed in future iterations. Allow co-op players to play that way, but don't punish single players. Additionally, the climbing system and fighting system have been altered a great deal. While I didn't necessarily hate it, and by the end of the game I felt like an old pro, I did find the transition from Rogue to Unity very jarring. Where the remaining questing is concerned, in replacing the half dozen meaningless collection quests, 'Helix quests' were introduced. These are non-story driven quests in which the player has to collect a certain amount of items in a certain period of time. Personally, I found these tedious and unfun. Had they been completely removed from the game, I would have enjoyed the game more. Finally... our brotherhood. We have the ability back to pick our team of assassin's, and to choose how they develop. Unfortunately, the only way to access them is through the 'Companion App" on smart phones, tablets, or computers. While I have both, I found it very frustrating that the game was not contained to the console. Everything you access in the Companion App could have been included in the game very, very easily. For those I know who chose not to download the app, they're missing a huge chunk of possibilities. That too sucks for players. We should be able to buy a console, buy the game, and not be reliant on anything outside of that. Which brings me to my final complaint... Ubisoft needs to stop trying to playscam people out of their real money. There are so many pay-to-win opportunities in this game that it hurts. Items are unlocked with in-game currency, and yet people can pay real money to unlock them whenever they'd like. At every turn, Ubisoft tries to stuff it's "pay us more money!" helix credits down the players throat and it's really off-putting. Single player games like this should not have in-game purchases, period. I understand and love DLCs but this brings AC a bit too close to Candy Crush. They need to focus more on content that is so good players want to earn the unlock, and less on making a quick buck. It shows a disrespect to the player.

In conclusion, if you're like me, and the best games in the series to you were the character driven Ezio narrative then you will LOVE this game. Unfortunately, gameplay is detracted from with micro-transactions and forced out of console content. Still, the gameplay makes up for it, leading to an overall enjoyable gaming experience.
  96. Nov 20, 2014
    Gameplay: This is the most boring ac game i played and i started with ac1, new gameplay mechanics (parkour) is more frustating than good and its looking extremly idiot in ac games, the best gameplay mehanics was ac1/ ac brotherhood.

Story: Well i not gonna spell any spoiler, this will be short this is a soap opera nothing more but truly! The only positive was the game ending that was pretty good its looks like not a fairy tale game.This is not an assassins creed game! only the name is ac nothing else! Arno is a BAD copy of ezio.The first 20 minute of gameplay as a templar (tragedy of jacques de molay) is better than the whole ac unity game was! finally i SAW a real TEMPLAR guys! finally after AC1! even the musics was better for this short gameplay and it was very cinematic and intense.

Music/Sound: sound effect is really awesome but still not mach with ac1 lifelike background sounds, same goes for the music wich is unity have a terrible musics, boring,flat unlike ac1/ac2/ac brotherhood they have genius musics.

i still think the best ac games was AC1,AC2,AC3,AC brotherhood after that the whole asassins creed franchise goes downhill.
  97. Jan 9, 2015
    this game is a disappointment story line is okay but not up to par with the other assassins creeds the game looks stunning but it lags it glitches and in short this game is a disappointment
  98. Feb 18, 2015
    Thank god I bought this game used and half off, but even so I'm still upset with the amount of money I spent on a game filled with micro transactions, content that can only be unlocked if you download the app, the amount of bugs in the game, the fact that it crashed the first st I played it, the amount of bugs, the choppy feeling when navigating, npcs dropping in, the amount of abilitiesThank god I bought this game used and half off, but even so I'm still upset with the amount of money I spent on a game filled with micro transactions, content that can only be unlocked if you download the app, the amount of bugs in the game, the fact that it crashed the first st I played it, the amount of bugs, the choppy feeling when navigating, npcs dropping in, the amount of abilities that were previously available in earlier ACs that have been stripped out, the amount of bugs, how painful it can be to get your character to just go where you want him to, and did I mention the bugs? I have been playing these games since the first AC, but the last 2 or 3 installments I've been forcing my way through. This one is just painful and frustrating to play. 0/0 would NOT recommend, if I could go back I wouldn't even pay the $30 for it again. Expand
  99. Apr 17, 2015
    This is one of the worst games I ever played Im a big fan of Assassins creed games but this was boring. The theme was super boring it feels like im playing in old time New York. The park our is over thought the story sucks theirs no cool features. Black flag was one of my favorite it had amazing features and advise getting that instead if you haven't played it. unity is by far theThis is one of the worst games I ever played Im a big fan of Assassins creed games but this was boring. The theme was super boring it feels like im playing in old time New York. The park our is over thought the story sucks theirs no cool features. Black flag was one of my favorite it had amazing features and advise getting that instead if you haven't played it. unity is by far the worst assassins creed game ever. Ps the multiplier sucks even with friends. also if this is your first ac this is going to make you never by anything unity ever again Expand
  100. Apr 26, 2015
    I've purchased every single assassins creed game that has come out. Granted I usually play on my PC. This time I got it on my xbox one. The frame rate in this game is terrible. When you are fighting more than 2 guys it's like 20 or below. No more fluid animation... Just looks laggy. The map is unreadable. They have so many asinine things for you to collect, some which you have to play someI've purchased every single assassins creed game that has come out. Granted I usually play on my PC. This time I got it on my xbox one. The frame rate in this game is terrible. When you are fighting more than 2 guys it's like 20 or below. No more fluid animation... Just looks laggy. The map is unreadable. They have so many asinine things for you to collect, some which you have to play some lame game on your phone to unlock. The game was so broken at launch they decided to give away free dlc, which is also terrible. Finally they did away with having to play their companion app. Oh and don't feel like having to work for items? No problem. Just spend $99 real dollars and buy away with the micro transactions. Yes... Micro Transactions in a Assassins Creed Game. It makes me sick. Assassin's Creed Rogue came out after this and is a much better product. Don't bother wasting your time with this game. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 59 Critic Reviews

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Feb 15, 2015
    Paris shows some promise, but it's hard to enjoy a game when it's so nauseating, even if it does suggest a return to the series' best ideas. Maybe next year. [Issue#119, p.65]
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2015
    As the first next-gen addition to the series Unity is a stepping stone on the way to something outstanding, but not an outstanding game in its own right. [13/2014, p.32]
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 30, 2014
    If you're invested in the classic AC style, this will do the trick. You'll love being a part of Ubisoft's Paris. [Jan 2015, p.68]