7.3

1. May 19, 2019
    Castlevania Anniversary Collection is an absolute treat to fans of the franchise and a look into its retro roots. The presentation interface is simple and fits perfect for the offerings on the table and many screen and even color option on the gameboy games. These retro offerings still offer you charm in both the visuals and sound design as they are emulated to near perfection to includeCastlevania Anniversary Collection is an absolute treat to fans of the franchise and a look into its retro roots. The presentation interface is simple and fits perfect for the offerings on the table and many screen and even color option on the gameboy games. These retro offerings still offer you charm in both the visuals and sound design as they are emulated to near perfection to include the flicker from the days of the NES. The Castlevania franchise has delivered countless memories to me over the years and it's one of my favorite classic collections released to date. Castlevania Anniversary Collection had me elated from the moment I first heard of its pending release and I could hardly wait for its arrival. My nostalgia began immediately after starting the game, as it also features 8 amazing games for you to play one only previously released in Japan before now available worldwide so many years later. Some of the games have aged better than others but this didn’t stop each one from being what I remembered, I remembered them differently and nothings changed in this collection. If you don’t know much about the collection, you can find details of many things relative to them thanks to the Bonus Book feature which is once again a fantastic addition by Konami. Castlevania Anniversary Collection is an absolutely a great value for your money and if you’re a fan of Castlevania this collection will no doubt be a must buy for your Xbox One library. Castlevania Anniversary Collection been emulated brilliantly and playing these memorable games again desite owning the originals, had me enjoying them in my recliner for so many hours with scaliness enabled of course. Excellent Konami, simply excellent. Expand
  2. May 20, 2019
    Although this collection serves as a great tool for newcomers to the series, it ultimately does not have the features (or the games) to please hardcore fans. The presentation itself and user interface mostly look and function fairly well. One annoyance is that the game does not have support for custom controller mappings, which can be annoying as the controls change with some gamesAlthough this collection serves as a great tool for newcomers to the series, it ultimately does not have the features (or the games) to please hardcore fans. The presentation itself and user interface mostly look and function fairly well. One annoyance is that the game does not have support for custom controller mappings, which can be annoying as the controls change with some games (notably Castlevania 4) this makes jumping from game to game a little more obtrusive than it should be. The digital book included with the collection is interesting, but nonetheless the game suffers greatly from not including titles such as Rondo of Blood of Symphony of the Knight. Still, the games themselves have aged well for the most part, but I doubt many modern games would appreciate them due to their notorious difficulty that is at times borderline hilarious. Overall this collection is a mixed bag, I doubt many longtime fans such as myself will be greatly pleased, but then again seeing any life from this franchise is ultimately a good thing in my book. Expand
  3. May 17, 2019
    Perfect emulation, presented with tasteful menus and theme music, make for a superb retro-themed collection of some of the older entries to the Castlevania canon. There are three NES titles, the sublime SNES entry, two Gameboy editions and the famous MegaDrive game too - along with a bonus title that has never previously been published in the West.

This collection doesn’t include the

This collection doesn’t include the much-requested PCE or PSX / Saturn games, or any of the ‘Metroidvania’ sequels, though it should be noted that Konami have hinted at releasing a further collection at another time; maybe that will include games from later on in the series - nothing has been announced yet, regarding this.

However, if you are a fan of at least a couple of the older games, then I’d say this collection presents very good value, with eight games in total, and a digital book detailing some of the history and anecdotes, rounding off the package.

1. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Aug 8, 2019
    The NES trilogy and 16-bit sequels are still hugely challenging and worth a look. [Issue#179, p.90]
  2. Jul 30, 2019
    Playing through the games on offer in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection is somewhat like opening a time capsule. Those old enough to remember the original releases of these titles will enjoy going through them again, while players who grew up on PlayStation and Xbox get to enjoy these classics as they were meant to be played. Either way, there is plenty of value here for your gaming dollar.
  3. Jun 7, 2019
    Some game elements haven’t aged too well, but they are in the minority here, and there’s no finer way to experience how the historic franchise began than by spending time with the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.