7.6

1. Sep 27, 2019
    Code Vein is a 3d Person Heavy Combat Free Roam Action RPG, inspired by Dark Souls. In a dystopian future, Humans are all but lost to time, the few left kept as food for the Revenants, Vampire like creatures resurrected by a parasite. You awaken in the ruins of a once glorious city, with no memory of how you arrived there. Assisted by a Lady in White, you find you have the power to reviveCode Vein is a 3d Person Heavy Combat Free Roam Action RPG, inspired by Dark Souls. In a dystopian future, Humans are all but lost to time, the few left kept as food for the Revenants, Vampire like creatures resurrected by a parasite. You awaken in the ruins of a once glorious city, with no memory of how you arrived there. Assisted by a Lady in White, you find you have the power to revive the Blood Springs, also keeping you from frenzy, and becoming the Lost. Everyone is trapped in the city, as a red mist surrounds it, causing pain and agony so intense, it drives most mad, even as they get near it. With nearly no humans left to feed on the Revenants eat what is know as Blood Beads, a fruit like vessel that grows from the Blood Springs, and contains a substance chemically identical to human Blood. Code Vein has heavy Anime inspiration, in both it's art and the extremely DEEP and intricate story line that will absorb you. With the Heavy and Meticulous combat of SoulsLike games that we've come to love, Code Vein also grants you an AI Partner (This Partner can also be a friend in Multiplayer!) and abilities that can be used together. The Class system is extremely flexible, allowing you to change classes whenever you please, and after Mastering certain abilites, they can be used on other classes, allowing you to hone your character as you see fit! Code Vein is an absolutely addictive game, frustrations and all as you unfold the story of not only the world, but the different characters as well. With a depth nearly beyond measure, and the ability to play with Friends, Bandai/Namco has outdone themselves with this title! Expand
  2. Dec 2, 2019
    Я купил эту игру на выходных и поиграл. Не мог оторваться! Это действительно лучшая игра года и шедевр для меня. Огромное спасибо разработчикам за то что выпускаете такие игры. Боже, я даже на работе не могу перестать думать о ней. Редактор персонажей великолепен, визуал и сюжет вытягивают все косяки. Это однозначно лучше dark souls 3 и bloodborne!Я купил эту игру на выходных и поиграл. Не мог оторваться! Это действительно лучшая игра года и шедевр для меня. Огромное спасибо разработчикам за то что выпускаете такие игры. Боже, я даже на работе не могу перестать думать о ней. Редактор персонажей великолепен, визуал и сюжет вытягивают все косяки. Это однозначно лучше dark souls 3 и bloodborne!
  3. Nov 15, 2019
    Es un gran juego, que tiene muy buena jugabilidad y un estilo artístico al estilo anime que encanta y se disfruta desde principio a fin.
  4. Bht
    Oct 1, 2019
    It ran pretty badly on my xbox and the camera was bad. Which is a shame since I was really looking forward to it.
  5. Oct 25, 2019
    I was skeptical about this game at first after seeing all the reviews about it. However, after playing the actual game I realized that all the reviews I had seen were completely lies or nitpicking small aspects of the game. IGN claimed there is no multiplayer when it’s definitely there and easy to use. Some reviewers were complaining about its anime looks and the look of women in the game.I was skeptical about this game at first after seeing all the reviews about it. However, after playing the actual game I realized that all the reviews I had seen were completely lies or nitpicking small aspects of the game. IGN claimed there is no multiplayer when it’s definitely there and easy to use. Some reviewers were complaining about its anime looks and the look of women in the game. While I understand why someone would complain about that I don’t think that the game should get a lower score because of it. Those things are personal preference, if someone wants to play a souls like game with anime looks then let them do so. I’ve heard some people even complain about the games realism which is ridiculous considering this is a game where you play as a Vampire who can manifest claws, tails, hounds etc. For my actual opinion on the game, I thought it was brilliant. The soundtrack is especially great, the story kept me invested to the end, the character creator was absolutely incredible with its many options, the ending was satisfying. I could go on and on about the games positives but I’ll say that the sound design in the game never gave any weight behind my attacks and it made me want to play more aggressively despite my draining stamina. If you’re thinking about buying this game I’d say consider if you want to play an anime souls like or if you’d rather spend your money on something else. I personally can not recommend this game enough. Expand
  6. Dec 6, 2019
    as someone who played all three dark souls this game is real good in my opinion love it.
  7. Sep 28, 2019
    Level design is pretty good past the first level, characters have interesting back stories and the setting is really cool. The difficulty is fun and fair, not as hard as Dark Souls though, obviously. Very good game.
  8. Sep 27, 2019
    This game is great and one the Xbox One X it is absolutely stunning. The picture is very sharp and the aesthetic overall are a step up on the competition. Its a souls like in Anime form , with dozens of new tricks and a cool vampire story..
  9. Sep 27, 2019
    Game runs great on the Xbox one X. Plays pretty much just like any "Souls" like game, and is mildly difficult. The Character creator is insane so many choices, can be played coop with a friend if you have such a thing...
  10. Sep 28, 2019
    A creative and splendid experience.the characters are have depth and environment is beautiful.grinding and playing around with code is fun.this company has a fan.
  11. Oct 2, 2019
    It could have been loads of fun but it tried to do too much and did not fix the camera.
  12. Sep 28, 2019
    My youngest brother reviewed this game low on ps4 i thought it was a 7 but i hate seeing people spam 10 scores because they hate reviewers and general criticism
  13. Sep 28, 2019
    It is a weird game with soulsborne like capabilities i wish i could say more but it left me empty
  14. Sep 27, 2019
    This is a solid game. Not quite Dark Souls, but close enough, and does enough things differently to justify a play through. The story is very anime, so if that's your jam, you'll probably dig it. As for performance, I haven't run into any issues on a One X, no crashes or frame choppiness.

TL;DR It's not gonna win game of the year or anything, but it's pretty good.
  15. Sep 30, 2019
    This game is a pure joy. After following this game closely since it's teaser trailer in 2017, one question has been nagging at the back of my mind. "Will this game be as good as it deserves to be"? Having played through all the Soulsborne games, and loving every one of them, my primary concern was if the game-play would hold up. I loved the aesthetic of this game and that was brought intoThis game is a pure joy. After following this game closely since it's teaser trailer in 2017, one question has been nagging at the back of my mind. "Will this game be as good as it deserves to be"? Having played through all the Soulsborne games, and loving every one of them, my primary concern was if the game-play would hold up. I loved the aesthetic of this game and that was brought into full tilt when the character creator was revealed to, frankly, be the new industry standard. After spending 20 hours with this game, and with no sign of the end in sight, I was able to put most of my concerns to rest.
    I'm utterly in love with this game. I love the direction, story style, personality, concepts and artistic vision of this game. And with no signs of micro-transaction intrusion, the game looks like all of it's mechanics are allowed to function as intended. And that's where I think this game will fall short of it's contemporary peers from FromSoftware. The elephant in the room is that the combat isn't Soulsborne levels of polish. And nothing out right now is, so it's in good company. But the comparisons are levied more directly at this game because it draws so heavily on the gameplay loop that Soulsborne established.
    So is the combat that is here satisfying? That's the main question. And I can confidently say that it is, despite it's flaws. The controls are snappy to the point where your character seems to have no momentum and can feel "floaty", but that lends itself to a much more frenetic style more akin to Bloodborne. And when you find yourself in large scale fights with many enemies, this ferocious agility is allowed to really shine in ways that put the large mob fights in Dark Souls to shame. Soulsborne excels far above it's peers in 1 on 1 combat encounters with extremely tight weapon mechanics but usually falls short when more than 3 enemys come barreling at you. Code vein feels like the opposite. 1 on 1 combat usually allows the wrinkles of the mechanics to be felt more acutely but, when 4 or 5 enemies come at you and your partner, strap in for a flashy, wild combat encounter.
    The weakest points of the game I've felt so far have been the boss encounters, sadly. They certainly work and are stronger than bosses in most games but pale in comparison to the show stopping memorable fights that liter the Soulsborne series. Initially a lot of the bosses felt cheap and shoddy as my character was inflicted, continually, with status ailments repeatedly. Each boss had a different status ailment that made the fight significantly more difficult. But after digging into the decently well explained character build mechanics with it's blood codes and skill sets, I came to understand that these boss fights were trying to make me build entire class load outs specifically to counter what they threw at you. The poison boss required you to invest in poison resistance skill and poison cure skill as well as a veil with elemental resistances. The water boss would slow you and then run circles around you until you removed that debuff and build tanky to take their hits, which were very difficult to dodge. This system, once understood, allowed me to build my character out to counter these bosses and make them significantly easier and much less frustrating. If customizing your character and skills for boss encounters sounds tedious to you, however, then this will likely seem less satisfying for you.
    Outside of boss fights, the mob combat, exploration and level design reach levels of care that are as close as anyone has come to the Soulsborne games outside of FromSoftware. With spidering paths that loop back on spawn points 2 and 3 times very often, the world rewards your exploration and gives you that same feeling of finding shortcuts that I became to accustomed to. Each area is riddled with hidden paths, secret items and side bosses that I can only come away that familiar feeling that I love from these sorts of games.
    There are bugs, but they have reared their ugly head only a scant few times during my play-through such that I don't think they bear dwelling on. And with multiplayer that works at launch, I can't complain.
    With my astronomical expectations of this game, after 3 years of following it closely, I thought it would be impossible for me to come away from this experience as anything other than disappointed. It's my pleasure to tell you that, while not exceeding my high expectations, it has certainly lived up to them and even surprised me a few times. I'm very excited to see where this IP goes from here with a bit of polish put on the mechanics to get it closer to that Soulsborne level of quality. If this series is able to get a bit closer to that lofty bar with the charm and aesthetic prowess that it exudes in a sequel, then we'll have something game changing on our hands. As of now, Code Vein is an absolute delight that is able to stand as a valiant and satisfying first stab at an alternative to Dark Souls.
  16. Oct 6, 2019
    Fails in comparison to every game that came before it, stick to dark atmosphere and tough gameplay like darksouls and bloodborne, this was like a 12 year olds dark souls tbh. story telling was garbage i got to say im disappointed, the only good thing going for this game is the music. If it wasnt a bandai game i would of dropped it already.
  17. Oct 1, 2019
    I absolutely loved Code Vein. Its a manga-inspired take on the post-apocalyptic theme where you play as a vampire (aka Revenant) tasked with saving the world by defeating Lost (ones) and dispelling a toxic miasma called the Red Mist.
    What I liked: the character creator is the best Anime Character Creator I have ever seen, the combat is brutal yet satisfying, the bosses are original, creative and unforgiving.
    What I loved: the combat is deep, rewarding and nuanced. The swappable character classes give you tons of freedom to customize your character to best reflect your play-style, and the loot is awesome. Finally, the story is a wild ride with lots of emotional ups and downs.
    Honestly, I enjoyed it a lot more than the Souls games.
  18. Sep 27, 2019
    Extremely fun game! Not as good as Soulsborne, but it offers unique elements of its own. The character creator and the Blood Code class systems which allows you to mix and match unique class abilities from multiple classes AFTER you have maxed and mastered a certain Blood Code is very interesting and fun. The game offers a good amount of replay value based on this alone.
  19. Nov 28, 2019
    It’s like a Anime version of Dark Souls, but much easier, with poor dialogue.
  20. Sep 27, 2019
    Amazing game, recomend it on xbone x, it looks amazing and the music is kino
  21. Oct 11, 2019
    All looks, no substance is how I would describe Code Vein. You can get lost in its endless character creator and gorgeous particle effects which wow for the first hour, but as you progress through the game you start to realize the particle effects and colorful weapons are shielding your eyes from the bland black, red, and brown environments and drab hub world. The game animations alsoAll looks, no substance is how I would describe Code Vein. You can get lost in its endless character creator and gorgeous particle effects which wow for the first hour, but as you progress through the game you start to realize the particle effects and colorful weapons are shielding your eyes from the bland black, red, and brown environments and drab hub world. The game animations also have some noticeable lag and stuttering issues. Often when you attack from behind it will register as an attack from the front and you will miss out on backstab which your earned. You can be damaged when the enemy hits in the opposite direction of you, which makes no sense and is clearly not a design choice. While you can perry in this game and it does work, it's rarely actually neccassary. Roling towards the enemy 9/10 times will work much better. For this exact reason boss fights rarely feel challenging and when rolling towards the boss doesn't work the first time it will probably work the second time. You can just chease this game very easily. When your not cheasing it though this game feels unfair almost to balance things out. An enemy will smash through cover that you clearly can't see them behind and your suddenly knocked off a cliff to your death. That's not even a skill based thing, its just very poor design. I really liked God Eater 2 and 3 but I can't really defend this game. Code Vein is buggy and where its not buggy the gameplay encounters just feel broken. As far a story goes it doesn't touch any of the Souls games or Bloodborne. It's sandwiched inbetween The Surge games and all the other souls-likes in terms of story. The game just doesn't hook you and it's bad by even the most mediocre animes standards, keep in mind I liked God Eater's admittably corny story. There are people trying to upvote this game for political reasons I guess? But I don't really care, I can seperate those two things unlike some people, and when it comes down to it this games story is bland and the gameplay is such a only good when you and three other friends are missing around and spamming your super moves. Don't spend $60 on this game, find it in the bargain bin. Expand
  22. Oct 4, 2019
    It's not every day that Bandai Namco actually releases an anime game of this quality, but Code Vein knocked it out of the park for me.
  23. Oct 4, 2019
    Delivers a fun souls-like experience that isn’t as difficult as any of the dark souls games. Character creation is near perfect but rather limited, the story is interesting, the characters are good and the combat is fun. Side quests seem lackluster and given by pathetic NPCs at first but they’re actually lackluster and given by pathetic people with personality, motivations and a story ofDelivers a fun souls-like experience that isn’t as difficult as any of the dark souls games. Character creation is near perfect but rather limited, the story is interesting, the characters are good and the combat is fun. Side quests seem lackluster and given by pathetic NPCs at first but they’re actually lackluster and given by pathetic people with personality, motivations and a story of their own which really makes them feel realistic but doesn’t make them any less pathetic as people. Expand
  24. Dec 20, 2019
    I am not into MMORPGs or RPGs but this game is fantastic. I have been addicted to it. I have always been a Anime fan and it's like creating and watching a custom anime. It's awesome. Targetting is a little annoying but I love the game.
  25. Dec 19, 2019
    Runs perfectly on my Xbox One X, even during some big fights with bosses or heaps of enemies i never felt that it slowed down to a chug. Even if it didn't run as well i'd argue that the gameplay and story are worth. Its fun, The blood codes and weapons allow for some great builds that can make you are powerhouse in melee or spells or you can try for a jaco of all trades build. TheRuns perfectly on my Xbox One X, even during some big fights with bosses or heaps of enemies i never felt that it slowed down to a chug. Even if it didn't run as well i'd argue that the gameplay and story are worth. Its fun, The blood codes and weapons allow for some great builds that can make you are powerhouse in melee or spells or you can try for a jaco of all trades build. The character customisation is probably one of the best made this generation and huge plus is the option to change your character completely mid-game you can go from being a edgy vamp boi to waifu whenever you stop by the home base. I'd honestly say to new players thinking if they want the season pass or not maybe finish the game first and then look up and see what has been annouced in the upcoming DLC since the DLC is somewhat spoiler-ish to the ending, at least i think it is. Not to sound like a complete scrub but i found code vein to be quite a lot easier than Dark souls, since the 2 are compared quite frequently. The best point for last my dudes, anime tiddies galore, all the waifu you can handle Expand
  26. Oct 11, 2019
    This game is kicking my butt every time I get to a boss battle (and about 1-5 times on the way to a boss battle). I love the look, the story, and the characters. I love that it rewards you for sticking your neck out to explore every nook and cranny. The menus take a bit to understand and battle options are endless, not super easy to grasp but this is the type of game you need to take theThis game is kicking my butt every time I get to a boss battle (and about 1-5 times on the way to a boss battle). I love the look, the story, and the characters. I love that it rewards you for sticking your neck out to explore every nook and cranny. The menus take a bit to understand and battle options are endless, not super easy to grasp but this is the type of game you need to take the time to learn and continue to try again every time your butt gets handed to you. A uniquely captivating and heart-pounding addition to my catalog. Expand
  27. May 8, 2020
    Code Vein is like Dark Souls but Lite and Anime Graphic style. This was one of the best games I have bought and played in 2020 and I totally loved it. It has some cool features, allot of classes to choose from, allot of unlockables where you have to find and do stuff which could go wrong and you would miss something so I would recommend everyone to check for informations about that onCode Vein is like Dark Souls but Lite and Anime Graphic style. This was one of the best games I have bought and played in 2020 and I totally loved it. It has some cool features, allot of classes to choose from, allot of unlockables where you have to find and do stuff which could go wrong and you would miss something so I would recommend everyone to check for informations about that on youtube or google so you won't do something wrong and miss allot of stuff.

This game is also kinda complicated. Some attributes are hard to understand I also recommend to check it out. The best part of this game is that you will get a bank storage which is really amazing and not like in some laughable game companies Ahem Bugout 76, no in this game you will get enough space to store your items in and guess what? You don't need to throw more money to do that it's not Bugout76.

There are even different endings and you can play with your friends together. It is a kinda weird party mechanic in this game but it still works. If you liked Dark Souls, you also might like Code Vein BUT be warned, people say that this game is much easier than Dark Souls well it is kinda true but as more often you clear this game and start all over, as harder this game will get. Let's say when you are on 7th playthrough, you will have your Dark Souls chalange feeling 100%.
  28. Apr 13, 2020
    I've played every dark souls game for all achievements and i've platinum'd bloodborne. For the most part I loved all the dark souls games and had a love hate with bloodborne. This game has fun exploration and great level design (however sometimes perfomance was slow and the framerate liked to drop quite a bit). That part of the game felt like dark souls and I loved looking at theI've played every dark souls game for all achievements and i've platinum'd bloodborne. For the most part I loved all the dark souls games and had a love hate with bloodborne. This game has fun exploration and great level design (however sometimes perfomance was slow and the framerate liked to drop quite a bit). That part of the game felt like dark souls and I loved looking at the environments because they are a spectacle. That's about 10 points out of 100. Characters and story make up about 50 points and while I like the design of the characters and I find all of them memorable. I'm not a fan of the story. the rest of the score is the combat and I haaaated the combat. It's super clunky, enemies gank you to no end (even though you have a second person by choice and maybe another player with that), and enemies seem to have uber scaling towards the end of the game. But where I really hate this game and compare it the hardest to dark souls is the bosses. The bosses are trash. They are way too difficult with this type of combat system. They seem like they belong in a dark souls games with how fluid their animations are, their varied moveset, and how quick and diverse they are. But where dark souls is fair and balanced with their weapons, healthpool, and skill curve. This game just gives a boss a lot of damage, and a lot of health on top of annoying moves and some that are so fast there's no way in HELL of you dodging them. Some partners die so quick that you never want to use them in a fight. Yakumo is the only good partner for bosses, and sometimes he dies insanely fast. It was a hugely frustrating time to finish this game even once, let alone the 3 times required for full achievements. I'm never picking this game up after this. It's just not worth my time. While dark souls is fully replayable and super fun to challenge yourself with. This game is best played once to forget about it. I gave it a 4 because it's at least got a fun start, I'd say up until the second boss, and the levels do save this game from being a 1 or 2. Expand
  29. Oct 10, 2019
    Code Vein was a different spin on Souls games that tried to capture you with a very familiar art style. The combat flow is a big fun factor, as well as having the option of an AI teammate was a nice addition. Code Vein had minor Frame Drops, but games tend to have these, so not a big deal. The story at times was over complex for it own good but that's what it takes sometimes to birth aCode Vein was a different spin on Souls games that tried to capture you with a very familiar art style. The combat flow is a big fun factor, as well as having the option of an AI teammate was a nice addition. Code Vein had minor Frame Drops, but games tend to have these, so not a big deal. The story at times was over complex for it own good but that's what it takes sometimes to birth a truly original story. Code Vein holds no customization items from players, giving them the freedom to create a character to the max. I spent a good 30 minutes to an hour creating my character. One of the most immense create a characters I have witnessed. Expand
  30. Oct 12, 2019
    Es un juego muy entretenido y divertido con muchos enemigos y bosses muchas "clases " para pelear
  31. Feb 26, 2020
    Perfect game. No bugs, cool plot, hard and satisfying. Amazing customization, best character creation as of date.
  32. Aug 9, 2020
    Eu acho que é um dos poucos jogos da Bandai nessa geração que realmente gostei, finalmente tiveram uma ideia diferente para aplicar, viu como é bom tentar inovar?!
  33. Aug 12, 2020
    the sins that code vein have, its a unestable fps, even in xone X, poor variety of weapon, a little easy compared with others of the genre and some minor problems, but its a good game, and a very good souls-like, its beautiful, epic Music, adiccted gameplay, and if you like the anime style and this kind of things, you will love it.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 20, 2019
    The overall controls are your basic Dark Souls setup - strong and weak attacks, dodge, abilities and a parry. If you're a fan of Dark Souls, you're not guaranteed to like Code Vein, but you will immediately fall right into its gameplay since it's nearly the same. Code Vein focuses more on narrative through cutscenes compared to Dark Souls hidden lore among the items that you find. Code Vein is quite enjoyable if you're in the mood for a good story mixed with some decent Dark Souls gameplay. I had a lot of fun with it despite its problems.
  2. Nov 2, 2019
    Although I enjoyed my time with Code Vein, it could definitely use some work to live up to its genre contemporaries. With that said, if you're a fan of action RPGs then you'll find a lot to sink your vampiric teeth into here.
  3. Oct 15, 2019
    At times, Code Vein can be stressing as you can’t cut much slack until you have gained not only level-ups to strengthen your character but also personal confidence to challenge everything the game throws at you. While it sometimes too obediently follows conventions of Souls-likes, its generous framework and character-centric exposition bring the game its own kind of unique personality.