6.3

1. May 28, 2016
    It's a nice little turned-based RPG with some humorous writing and a great theme. It's far from perfect though. It's brief length and drawn out combat encounters do put a damper on things. Especially at the price of $14.99.

It's the type of game that can be breezed through in an afternoon. Side-content does a little to extend that length, but you're only looking at the addition of a few more hours. It definitely doesn't offer a lot of bang for your buck. Despite that though what is here is no less charming.

The game has a great sense of humor. The candy corn jokes alone will have you rolling. Mix in the cute graphical style, excellent use of the Halloween setting, and family-friendly nature and you've got a very likable game presentation wise.

The gameplay manages to stand out due to the clever use of costumes. Each of has their own abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Finding and testing out new ones is a blast. There's a nice exploration element to the game as you hunt down the materials required to make new costumes. To make things better their usefulness extends outside of combat as well. Some have abilities that open up new areas of the environments to explore. Making it possible to progress in the game as well as pick up new goodies.

The combat side of things though is kind of weak. The battles tend to drag on due to the enemies large health bars. The fact that the game never offers any sort of challenge amplifies this fact. Going through the motions to chip away at the enemies allows monotony to set in rather quickly. About the umpteenth fight you get into you begin to get more and more thankful that the game isn't that long.

Drawn out combat and limited content aside, Costume Quest 2 is a good game. There are plenty of worse Halloween-themed alternatives out there. This is one that is perfectly suitable for kids as well.

7.5/10
  2. Oct 24, 2018
    Really adorable game that I wanted to love and was initially ready to buy (got to try it free with Game Pass) but I'm glad I didn't. After playing just a little while longer, I got so bored with the repetitive battles....I literally started to dread them. And this was only about a half hour into the game! And enough with the candy corn jokes already. I get it, he's not or can't fight, butReally adorable game that I wanted to love and was initially ready to buy (got to try it free with Game Pass) but I'm glad I didn't. After playing just a little while longer, I got so bored with the repetitive battles....I literally started to dread them. And this was only about a half hour into the game! And enough with the candy corn jokes already. I get it, he's not or can't fight, but do I have to read a quip after every round? I just wanted to get the battle over with and explore town again. I like simple fun games but the boring battles just ruined it for me. Bummer. Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2020
    ---{Graphics}---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful ☐ Good X Decent ☐ Bad ☐ Don‘t look too long at it ☐ MS-DOS ---{Gameplay}--- ☐ Very good ☐ Good ☐ It‘s just gameplay X Mehh ☐ Watch paint dry instead ☐ Just don't ---{Audio}--- ☐ Eargasm ☐ Very good X Good ☐ Not too bad ☐ Bad ☐ I'm now deaf ---{Audience}--- X Kids X Teens ☐ Adults ☐ All
    ---{Graphics}---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful
    X Decent
    ☐ Bad
    ☐ Don‘t look too long at it
    ☐ MS-DOS

☐ Average
    ☐ Lovely
    ☐ It‘ll replace your life

---{Game Time}---
    ☐ Long enough for a cup of coffee
    X Short
    ☐ Average ☐ Long ☐ To infinity and beyond ---{Price}--- ☐ It’s free! ☐ Worth the price X If u have some spare money left ☐ Not recommended ☐ You could also just burn your money ---{Bugs}--- X Never heard of ☐ Minor bugs ☐ Can get annoying ☐ ARK: Survival Evolved ☐ The game itself is a big terrarium for bugs

Mixed or average reviews - based on 5 Critic Reviews

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Feb 15, 2015
    A decent distraction for a short time, Costume Quest 2 unfortunately soon becomes a chore. Fortunately, it doesn't outstay its welcome by too much. [Issue#119, p.82]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Dec 3, 2014
    It's lovely, it's sweet, it's funny, but it's only a few hours long, even if you're taking your time. [Xmas 2014, p.86]
  3. Nov 25, 2014
    It's a fun game, but with realistically only six hours of playing time on hand, it may leave you wanting.