8.4

1. Jan 2, 2018
    From the moment I first saw Cuphead a couple of years ago I was instantly hooked, and to say I was looking forward to it would be a huge understatement. Thankfully Cuphead is a classic and a game that has managed to deliver in every area. The first thing you will notice about the game is the amazing art design and soundtrack. The visuals are simply stunning and unlike any other game I’veFrom the moment I first saw Cuphead a couple of years ago I was instantly hooked, and to say I was looking forward to it would be a huge understatement. Thankfully Cuphead is a classic and a game that has managed to deliver in every area. The first thing you will notice about the game is the amazing art design and soundtrack. The visuals are simply stunning and unlike any other game I’ve ever played, and the accompanying music makes the game even more enjoyable. The gameplay is very challenging, and while some people may find it a little too difficult I found it to be great. The main reason why I liked the challenging gameplay is because I didn’t once get frustrated, which is rare in a game like this. The bosses in the game are some of the most creative and imaginative I’ve ever come across, and each boss keeps the game fresh. The variety doesn’t stop there because each different level is packed to the brim with variety, which in turn makes the world come alive and makes for an even enjoyable adventure. There is also a decent amount of variety when it comes to the abilities, and the best thing is that each ability matters when it comes to fighting the bosses. Cuphead also has local co-op for you to enjoy, and to say me and my friend had fun would be an understatement. I just wish that an online co-op mode would have been included. At the end of the day Cuphead has gone above and beyond in all aspects, and this in my opinion makes the game one of the best games the Xbox One has to offer. Cuphead is one of them rare games that gets everything right, and the uniqueness it has to offer is like no other I’ve experienced. I urge people to look past the difficulty because it doesn’t frustrate, and the charm the game has makes you look past the difficulty. Without a shadow of a doubt this is one of the best games of the year, and I fully expect it to win numerous awards. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2017
    Exhilarating and Beautiful but, hard to Master.

Exhilarating and Beautiful but, hard to Master.

Cuphead mesmerizes you with it unique visuals, great soundtrack and exhilarating gameplay. It is fun, lots of fun. But, it is not for the faint of heart. It is not easy by any measurable means And that seems to be almost the universal complaint against the game itself. It's difficult to master. Well boo-hoo on you all. I say go back to your safe gaming spaces. Count me among those that are glad this game doesn't make things easy. With recent platform games we have become spoiled with auto-aims and assists, easy game patterns, repetitive levels with s boss battles that are boringly simple and have lack of creativity. Nowadays our gameplay is to whizz through a game level after game level. There is none of that here. Except for the auto saves (and yes infinitive lives) we are taken back to a time when platform games were actually difficult. We have to throw away our spoiled ways and hunker down learn to master a game. All the levels and boss battles take real work. You have real sense of accomplishment when you are done with and each and every level. It is a real workout to play this game.

Cuphead is run and gun gameplay with 1 on 1 boss battles or optional 2 on 1 with local co-play. You can see how games like Contra series and Mega-man and many other early platform games have influenced the game makers at Studio MDHR.

However, if you want an easy levels go play a Mario game. Mario games are fun but, very forgiving. This game is not designed for those who want bouncy bounce time. In other words, is not child's play. This game is for grown-up gamers of all ages. Life is hard, this game is hard. Deal with it. It is wondrous journey that will frustrate those with weak gaming constitutions but, reward those willing to stick it out.

Think of it this way. Most platform games are like getting in shape by doing a daily walk in your neighborhood with your girlfriends. Nice walk full of gabbing about your lives. Not difficult to do and pretty much the same experience each time you go out. Cuphead is like getting in shape at the Navy Seal training camp with live explosives during the obstacle runs and weights attached to your feet during the swimming. Nothing is easy. It is not for the faint of heart. Most will fail so many times they will lose count. But, when you get done you will have truly accomplished something.
  3. Apr 20, 2019
    This a full of army of little kid-teen playing this game and ruined the old Cartoon Communities
    Really Cuphead? What was Studio MDHR Thinking?
    Since after 2 days later is already Most controversial outside the Internet. The New toons is just Disgusting, Horrible fanbase, cancerous fandom, Ocs, Too many Crossover, Fan Game, Rule 34, Younger Kids and the rest. Our Childhood are been
    Really Cuphead? What was Studio MDHR Thinking?
    Since after 2 days later is already Most controversial outside the Internet.

Our Childhood are been ruined by mostly Indie game Fandom.
    most of the fandom are evil, why they doing this, they not iconic enough to like them.
    What a big duel of Indie game from of the first place
    Amino can tell how many people are there with any franchise such as Cartoon Characters, Video Game Character, Anime and other thing like that.
    Just avoid the popular Indie game it killed you and it make the other fan unhappy.
  4. Apr 20, 2019
    A Terrible chose creating this game for first that Inspired by the cartoons of the 1930s.
    Say I Disagree with this game.
    We had Sonic, Animanics, BATIM and Now Cuphead. all them mostly been used to the Classic Cartoon to give them pouplar and newer to the fan To milking the Franchise and Fandom.
    This game is just not that good.
    i say not recommended that stay away.
  5. Dec 8, 2017
    very difficult, repetitive times are repeated ... the game forces you to decorate, to follow, if you are good it ends in an hour !!! simple story, very good is the songs.
  6. Apr 19, 2019
    Too Hard, Awful Characters, not fan to play. No plot, Development at all.
    That Terrible copy paste to old Cartoon.
    The Indie Fandom is Disgusting alone side of BATIM.
  7. Dec 8, 2017
    Cuphead is like one of those rigged carnival games, which are intriguing but you quickly realize it's a waste of time, and for the most part you are set up for failure. The difference between those midway games and Cuphead is that the former usually costs a buck or two and after you try it out, you move on. The latter suckers you into spending $20 for a digital equivalent of that kind ofCuphead is like one of those rigged carnival games, which are intriguing but you quickly realize it's a waste of time, and for the most part you are set up for failure. The difference between those midway games and Cuphead is that the former usually costs a buck or two and after you try it out, you move on. The latter suckers you into spending $20 for a digital equivalent of that kind of experience you can subject yourself to over and over again. It has an an appealing visual presentation, and when it was announced I couldn't wait to play it because I am no stranger to 2D action games on the original Nintendo and Sega consoles. I've heard people defend the difficulty of this game by saying that it simply hearkens back to those kinds of games but I think they are experiencing buyers remorse and/or trying to be a good sport about it, which is fine, but I have played many of these types of games in the past; the kind from the 80s and 90s and they are not this damn hard. I've even beaten some of them and thoroughly enjoyed the brutal ones like Contra or Super Mario Brothers.

At what point do you draw a line between challenging and cheap? This game is cheap as hell. You have 3 hits and you're dead, which is totally acceptable, but there are way too many standard things that have been omitted from the game which makes no sense. There's simply NOT ENOUGH ROOM on each stage to dodge the barrage of projectiles, and to add insult to injury, sometimes it's not clear what hurts you and what doesn't. You have 3 lives and you're dead. OK. Cool. It can still be that way with extra lives to pick up throughout the levels, maybe to -- you know, have more than 3? And if that is completely out of the question then fine, maybe it could have been designed so that you can replenish your health back to 3. Why couldn't they put some kind of reward or incentive like that to keep the flow of the gameplay going? Even if it did allow something like that, it would still be tough as nails. I'm not even talking about making it really easy, I'm just rattling off what I kept thinking while I played it, and if it had some features like that it, it would resemble a real game and not some annoyingly unfair shooting gallery. In those old games like Contra, they're hard but you can definitely do it after a few attempts. In this game I felt like I simply could not do it. Maybe people too young to remember the NES days think this is what it was like? Well, it really wasn't. Even the 16-bit era had ridiculously hard games, but you could still beat them, like Earthworm Jim or something. That is a hard game but you can actually play it for a while, and even if you're getting your ass kicked there's still a way forward. There's no sense of progression or trial and error here because it's never a mystery why you died -- you know the reason: you got hit by something you could not avoid fast enough. So you do it again and again and again until you somewhat "master" the annoying unfairness of it all, and yes I beat it. I'm not being a sore loser, I just wanted to express that I felt manipulated into buying this game because it seemed like something that would have platforming levels and bosses at the end of each world like Super Mario. Instead, it's designed to make you fail hundreds of times so it that it can seem like an old school "hardcore" action game but it's not. It's just some schlock made by a team of hipsters in the 2010s, and they sold it by masking it with a novel art style. Good job, you got my $20. Games that are too easy annoy the hell out of me, and I avoid them, but games that are pointlessly hard and repetitive irritate me in the same way. If you're trying to pick up a game to play for an hour or two to have a good time on the weekend then pick up something else.
  8. Apr 19, 2019
    Old Cartoon was Awesome but the new toons is kinda ruined for everyone.

-Weak character
    -Fandom (Indie Game)
    -Insulted to the Classic Cartoon

Not Recommended
  9. Oct 2, 2017
    Uno de los juegos afortunados a la hora de formar parte del selecto club de la "Triple B" (Bueno, Bonito y Barato) siendo además uno de los más deseados durante largo tiempo. Y la espera ha merecido la pena. Desafiante, intenso, divertido, carismático... pero sobre todo una JOYA a nivel audiovisual. Ah y muy rejugable. Una auténtica obra de arte, que solo con un parche para la traducción yUno de los juegos afortunados a la hora de formar parte del selecto club de la "Triple B" (Bueno, Bonito y Barato) siendo además uno de los más deseados durante largo tiempo. Y la espera ha merecido la pena. Desafiante, intenso, divertido, carismático... pero sobre todo una JOYA a nivel audiovisual. Ah y muy rejugable. Una auténtica obra de arte, que solo con un parche para la traducción y otro para el cooperativo online (el local a la antigua usanza es genial) alcanzará la perfección. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2017
    This is an amazing game. Wonderful graphics, very good soundtrack and even better game play. If you like a game that gives you the throwback feels and many raging moments, Cuphead is the game for you. $20 is a steal for this game, I'd happily pay $45+. Buy it now, and enjoy it. It's amazing.
  11. Oct 3, 2017
    La dedicaciòn y el esfuerzo se llama y define cuphed,los creadores de este juego con tanto amor al arte de los videojuegos , vale la pena tenerlo, estos juegos muestran que aun las dasarrolladores les interesa la experiencia de los jugadores y este indie lo a logrado.
  12. Oct 2, 2017
    Altamente desafiador e nostalgico. Jogo com arte visual e sons de alta qualidade, lutas contra chefes bem feitos. Na dificuldade certa, o jogo é uma otima recomendação
  13. Sep 29, 2017
    Amazing visuals; specially in a time when it seems like the go to is realistic graphics are all the rage. Cuphead provides a fair challenge to players, and I find myself laughing when I die over and over, more than raging . Cuphead is truly a work of art.
  14. Sep 30, 2017
    Music, art, Gameplay, never ceases to be repetitive or unfair. Always fun, hard and balanced. Never will I play another plat-former as good as Cuphead.
  15. Sep 30, 2017
    THIS IS THE GAME WE´VE BEEN WAITING FOR SINCE THE 32 BITS GENERATION, WHEN THE 2D GAMES REACHED IT'S PEAK OF QUALITY, AND THEN HAD BEEN REPLACED BY TERRIBLE 3D SQUARE BOX GAMES.
    CUPHEAD IS LIKE COMING HOME AFTER YEARS AWAY. THE BEST GAME OF THE LAST 25 YEARS. I ONLY HOPE WE DON´T HAVE TO WAIT 25 MORE YEARS TO PLAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS AGAIN.
  16. Sep 29, 2017
    Cuphead's biggest achievement is actually feeling unique and original, although being one of the oldest genres of games. For me the only thing that keeps it from being a 10/10 is the lack of a meaningful progression system like other platformers such as the Megaman X series.
  17. Sep 29, 2017
    Stunning visuals. Great soundtrack, great sound-design. Superb game-play!
    This game has it all. Its incredible difficult, but its fair. If you die, the problem is always between the couch and the screen
  18. Sep 29, 2017
    Cuphead is the Metal slug of platformers I've always dreamed of but never thought was possible ... Until Now, This is brilliant, stunning and just amazing
  19. Oct 1, 2017
    Very good game the sound track is AMAZING have a good dificult and very funny to play in co op. It simulate very old the 30's games... what a nostalgy.
  20. Oct 2, 2017
    Excellent game for a great price, the graphics and the music are amazing, this game isn’t for everyone, it’s really hard, if you like challenges this game is for you, for my it’s the hardest game I played in the last 10 years (excluid Dark Souls off course) but it’s a really fun game, playing alone or co op, for $20 you wouldn’t regret to try it
  21. Oct 2, 2017
    Flawless mechanics, challenging gameplay, and the best art/sound design I may have played in any game. The hand drawn animations are insanely detailed and creative. Note that it is a very difficult game to play, as it should be, but you can pick an easy mode on each level. Regular mode is a challenge.
  22. Sep 29, 2017
    The Style, the Aspect, the Theme, The Game itself...is TOPNOTCH.... (PERIOD)
    BUT THIS GAME IS HARD AF

GIVES ME THE VIBES OF 80's CARTOON PERFECTLY
    POLISHED GAME

BUY IIITTT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  23. Oct 2, 2017
    First time in a really long time I'm enjoying a game this much. The art style and the music is sooo good. Every boss as new funky ways to kill you and change in very unexpected wayward s into something more original than the previous one. The game is really hard but for me it just had to the replayability. Definitely a MUST.
  24. Oct 2, 2017
    While the music and the art direction were the main focuses of this game leading up to release, the game offers far beyond that. This game is a burst of joyous creativity and passion. There is no filler here. The whole game is the good part of the game, and that leads to a surprisingly little amount of frustration despite how hard it is. The music and visuals draw you in immediatelyWhile the music and the art direction were the main focuses of this game leading up to release, the game offers far beyond that. This game is a burst of joyous creativity and passion. There is no filler here. The whole game is the good part of the game, and that leads to a surprisingly little amount of frustration despite how hard it is. The music and visuals draw you in immediately and are a joy to look at and listen to. Dying didn't really seem like a punishment to me, as it meant more time to soak in all the sights and sounds. There is a tremendous level of care and detail here, even for its cartoonish look. Nothing feels or sounds out of place and it makes playing the game that much more enjoyable. Gameplay wise, the controls feel smooth and responsive. To me, they looked wonky in the early gameplay footage I saw, maybe I watched too much Dean gameplay, but while you're playing the controls are fine. The bosses are the star here. Even though some are more fun and interesting than others, they are all great and all challenging. No boss plays out like another and they force you to focus on every detail of their behavior in order to win. This is enhanced by a surprising amount of abilities that you can equip and experiment with. These two things kept the game fresh. However, some people might be turned off by this game. There is a big emphasis on trial and error. You will never one cycle a boss, and you have to dedicate at least 20 minutes to each one, at least on the later worlds. Me personally, I never raged, no matter how many times I died. I got frustrated and burnt out to the point where I made numerous stupid mistakes, and at that point was laughing at myself more than anything. But despite the difficulty, the game kept pulling me back, and when I landed the final hit on a boss, I was re-energized each time, and thought, "Let's do this **** again". Few things in gaming have been so fun and rewarding, yet ball bustingly hard as these boss battles.
    The complaints I have are pitifully minor, but I still want to mention them. The run and gun levels are overshadowed by the boss battles, which is more of a testament to how good the bosses are rather than how bad the platforming is. But I rarely wanted to do them. While they are fun, unique, and just as challenging as the bosses, this isn't the main draw of the game. The only point to these levels is to collect gold coins which are used to buy upgrades. Once you collect all the gold coins in a level, I don't see many people replaying the run and gun sections.
    I've seen a few people complain about bugs. I haven't had many problems. There were a few instances where I had the auto parry perk equipped and the auto parry procked but I still took damage from the projectile. Other than that, the game is near perfect on a technical level, at least for me.
    There are a few instances in boss battles where stuff comes down to RNG. Sometimes things just unfold in a crappy way and you get screwed over by it. However, this isn't anything that happens with much regularity and 99% of the time the failures are your own fault and can be fixed with a lot of persistence.
    This game is everything good about gaming. Simple yet deep, punishing yet rewarding, and above all else, fun. This is the most fun I've ever had getting my ass beat. Even though I probably won't play this game for 2000 hours like other games, there is no denying this is a great damn game, and Cuphead will no doubt be a gaming memory I'll keep with me for a long time.
  25. Nov 30, 2017
    Cuphead's visuals are nothing short of dazzling and incredibly clean. The amount of work put into this game is clear with its level of detail and great creativity. I've always been a fan of 30's style cartoons, and this is truly a game that looks like no other. The game is very hard, but very rewarding and addictive. The run and gun levels feel a bit lack luster, but there's really almostCuphead's visuals are nothing short of dazzling and incredibly clean. The amount of work put into this game is clear with its level of detail and great creativity. I've always been a fan of 30's style cartoons, and this is truly a game that looks like no other. The game is very hard, but very rewarding and addictive. The run and gun levels feel a bit lack luster, but there's really almost nothing to be upset about for this price point. One of the few games I will truly never forget. Expand
  26. Sep 30, 2017
    I rarely pre-order something, but when they announced the release date, I had to do it and I don't regret it, the game is amazing, it's hard, funny, beautiful and entertaining.
    Simply amazing!
  27. Sep 29, 2017
    Nunca había comprado un juego en el día de su lanzamiento, pero así como ellos metieron las manos al fuego, yo sabía que este juego no defraudaría. Me topé con que es mejor de lo que pensé. No solo es hermoso en gráficas, es adictivo y tiene una jugabilidad excelente. La música podría hasta tratarse como tema aparte por la dedicación que tiene.

No puedo escribir más porque siento que el

No puedo escribir más porque siento que el juego me ha consumido por el día de ahora

100% RECOMENDADO. Vale cada maldito centavo y más. 10/10 GOTY.
  28. Oct 1, 2017
    For 20 euro, this game give you everything you need, remembering the old games animated, the music really fit with the style. Lot of people are complaining about bug just to justify the fact that they fail, i've just finished the game, full A rank, beginning to clear expert mode and no bug declared yet, no default on the control too. This game is a master piece. For a indie games, noFor 20 euro, this game give you everything you need, remembering the old games animated, the music really fit with the style. Lot of people are complaining about bug just to justify the fact that they fail, i've just finished the game, full A rank, beginning to clear expert mode and no bug declared yet, no default on the control too. This game is a master piece. For a indie games, no worryes to buy it now, you won't be disappointed . Expand
  29. Oct 2, 2017
    Amazing visuals and sound design coupled with well thought out boss stages and encounters makes this game awesome and a must a play especially for twenty dollars
  30. Sep 30, 2017
    If some government agency came to me and said, "We'd like you to compile all of the greatest games from all time so that we can blast them into space in hopes that alien life may find them and enjoy them," without hesitation I'd put Cuphead in.

The moment I saw it, it became my most anticipated game. For almost four years, I've anxiously awaited it. Expectations were sky high. The wait was well worth it, as it is a phenomenal game, balanced and polished to perfection. The 1930s art style, the soundtrack, the boss and level design - all perfect. I haven't seen a similar level of quirky creativity since Rayman Origins, six years ago. There's not a single thing I can even criticize. Every second is a thrill, and even with hundreds of deaths, I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.

I want to show it to friends. I want to show it to strangers. I want to show it to extraterrestrial beings. It's the reason I enjoy playing games.
  31. Oct 1, 2017
    In a time like this, when developers and publishers are trying to sell rpg's to call of duty morons and vice versa to have as big of an audience as possible, I'm absolutely delighted to see that there still are some people who try to keep the game industry alive. Quick money grabs, no substance, no personal art style so every game looks alike. That's how I see games these days.
    Cuphead is
    Cuphead is a breath of fresh air. Some how forgotten from modern games, responsive controls is something you're going to find in cuphead. Artistic style that puts other games in shame. This side scrolling shooter is the best game I've played in the last two years.

In the beginning you are given a short but effective tutorial of the controls and then you will be pushed down the cliff to your inevitable doom. As you begin to play the first level, you think: ok.. this isn't so bad, and then the situation escalates very quickly. I died 3 times in the fist run and gun level. Yeah well I lost the count in the second one. The difficulty is absolutely infuriating. Cuphead is so hard I broke my first controller since ps1 era. After this Bloodbourne feels like a walk in the park. I hate this game but I love it. I wanna go back and do more rage quitting. There's couple boss battles that are a bit cheap. There's just too much sh't on the screen and it feels like a bullet hell game at those times. Old time jazzy soundtrack fits perfectly in the game. Cuphead is beautifully animated. Every frame was hand drawn during the development. i found myself laughing to the animations constantly.

This is how you make a good game. Do your own thing and stop copying everybody else! This game is very close to being a master piece. I won't call it that because its way to short for it and the difficulty almost ruins it. Almost. I'm in awe that somebody actually had the guts to make something like this in these days.

8.5/10
    FuriousMike approves! Go buy it!
  32. Oct 1, 2017
    an incredible game no doubt in every way a game of the genre run and gun created by the studio MDHR based on the cartoons of the 30s with style of art was made as in the old caricatures note that had everything in this game all details leave you speechless and you do not stay behind the game control and if you talk about the soundtrack is to lucent it is composed of jazz music in xboxan incredible game no doubt in every way a game of the genre run and gun created by the studio MDHR based on the cartoons of the 30s with style of art was made as in the old caricatures note that had everything in this game all details leave you speechless and you do not stay behind the game control and if you talk about the soundtrack is to lucent it is composed of jazz music in xbox strap at 60fps and the resolution at 1800p I give you a rating 9.5 Expand
  33. Sep 29, 2017
    Beautiful visuals, impressive orchestral soundtrack, solid controls.
    Beautiful visuals, impressive orchestral soundtrack, solid controls.
    Having planned to purchase this game since it's original announcement in 2014, it's hard not to be overly excited about its final release, but even with high expectations it turned out to be better than I had expected. I feared for the worst and hoped for something great, but this game is much more, it's fine art, amazing orchestral music with very difficult but rewarding gaming. There are some mixed in "run and gun" platforming levels but it is mostly boss fights, it feels familiar in many ways, feels like a real modern day megaman revisit, unlike some other weaker games that tried to bring a megaman feel back, Cuphead really makes old school shoot 'em ups proud and even should make Disney proud. It's gorgeous in all it's hand drawn moving and static parts. Great with two people and even alone, I highly recommend it to any and all gaming folk. Even just to watch things in motion or listen to the music it's well done. Microsoft made the right decision investing into this game, it should definitely pay off. While it is difficult, it is fair. Any losses are lessons and a new strategy can be applied to the next fight, plus there is a "simple" or easy option in boss levels for those finding the game to be a bit too challenging. I hope to see additional content in the future, it's too great to not want more. Play and enjoy, it's a good time.
  34. Sep 30, 2017
    Uno de los mejores juegos que han llegado a la Xbox One, sin duda todo el trabajo artístico de un modo artesanal es algo que se nota al pasar en cada etapa que ofrece el juego y que sin duda nos hace volver a jugar con un amigo en casa, al menos hasta que llegue la posiiblidad de jugar en línea.
    Vale la pena comprarlo ofrece mucho reto y divertido ya que te ofrece la posibilidad de cambiar de poderes y asi tu efecto sobre los enemigos cambia sin duda tiene mucho que ofrecer, recomendado personalmente incluso la versión de PC
  35. Oct 2, 2017
    Obra maestra en todos los aspectos. Un juego imprescindible. el mejor juego indi del año. altamente recomendado. A la vieja usanza pero para todos los públicos.
  36. Oct 5, 2017
    USUARIO: XBox One - PC, PROS: jugabilidad muy buena, diseño y calidad de personajes y escenarios excelentes, dificultad ni que decir, es todo un reto. El "precio" muy bueno mas para ser un juego playeverywhere. Coop local y divertido.
    CONT: Se queda corto en cuanto a contenido, es como darle a un sediento un sorbo de agua y negarle mas. Espero esta compañia siga creciendo y desarrollandose, para posteriormente nos sigan ofreciebdo mas y mas de estos titulos
  37. Oct 31, 2017
    The only crime is that there is no physical version!

This game is engaging, beautiful, and challenging. Walt Disney would be proud. Platformers tend to fall into the pitfalls of repetition and can become stale when enemies, bosses, and stage mechanics repeat and play exactly the same during play through. Cuphead mixes elements up and you will not be able to predict what a boss may do
    The only crime is that there is no physical version!

This game is engaging, beautiful, and challenging. Walt Disney would be proud.

Platformers tend to fall into the pitfalls of repetition and can become stale when enemies, bosses, and stage mechanics repeat and play exactly the same during play through. Cuphead mixes elements up and you will not be able to predict what a boss may do next. Quick reactions and split second decision making are necessary to complete this game.
  38. Oct 3, 2017
    If the early century cartoon animation doesn't charm you, the music sure will. Cuphead is as rewarding as it is challenging, offering gameplay that will keep you coming back for more. A new console icon is born.
  39. Sep 30, 2017
    Cuphead is Amazing, the visuals are gorgeous and i fell like i'm inside the cartoon, the soundtrack is perfect and fits the theme and the gameplay is brutal and really fun. 10/10
  40. Sep 29, 2017
    amazing art style, great soundtrack, game play is really fun (Can be difficult at times but in a good way), and never gets old. This game is a fantastic return to a genre that felt like it was getting old.
  41. Oct 1, 2017
    Cuphead is an awesome game, with insane dificulty. This game bring me back my childhood, play it and you don't regret. I can't understand why some people says the game is bad, probaly they should be bad players. I only can talk good about this game. So, you love games? Play Cuphead and enjoy this masterpiece of Xbox One/PC
  42. Oct 2, 2017
    lo de los mejores juegos de esta generación, si eres mal jugador , este juego no es para ti.si quieres un reto actual este juego es el indicado, felicidades a MDHR hermoso juego
  43. Sep 30, 2017
    The art still gets the little details of his tribute backing animation, from slightly bleeding colors and film grains to wavy contours that move with frame-to-frame imperfection. Even the map screen uses the classic animation "feature" of foreground elements drawn with a completely different palette than the quieter, quaint backgrounds.

The hand-animated scenes are so appealing and full

The hand-animated scenes are so appealing and full of life, in fact, that the few purely digital art elements in the game stand out like sore thumbs. These usually come in the form of enemy projectiles, which are often drawn with well-defined vector lines and most common shapes in Flash animations. These projectiles often move in overly smooth curves or straight lines, in addition to making them stand out from the more sinuous and free-form animation found in the rest of the scene.
  44. Sep 29, 2017
    Jogo extraordinariamente lindo, gameplay clássica e trilha sonora excelente. Me pergunto mesmo é o que leva algumas pessoas aqui a citarem Crash e dar 5 pro jogo. Sério? dar nota ruim pro jogo só porque não tem no seu pequeno console? pra quem aparenta estar cheio de exclusivos, estão pensando muito nos jogos do Xbox...
  45. Oct 1, 2017
    One of the best game releases of the year. It's revitalizing to play this genre again and the style used for it is what makes the game most appealing. This is a game that I'll always keep in my game library to play again and again every once in a while, definitely. If you miss the old games this pill of a game will do the trick!
  46. Sep 30, 2017
    I'm loving he game thus far. It is an old school platformer, but has a surprising amount of depth in both gameplay and also in storyteller. Kuddos to StudioMDHR for a great job, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next.
  47. Sep 29, 2017
    Um jogo com uma direção de arte incrível, trilha sonora impecável e com uma dificuldade absurda!! Lembra os saudosos desenhos da década de trinta, a história apesar de simples é bem interessante. Cuphead tem tudo o que prezo em um bom jogo. 10/10.
  48. Oct 3, 2017
    I hope you like dieing, because that's all you do in this game! This game is brutal, savage and downright cruel. With that said I enjoyed this game immensely! The hand drawn aesthetics are like playing a 1950s betty boop or popeye cartoon, just awesome to look at! The music just adds to the atmosphere of that old cartoon feel. Besides getting my ass handed to me by every boss in thisI hope you like dieing, because that's all you do in this game! This game is brutal, savage and downright cruel. With that said I enjoyed this game immensely! The hand drawn aesthetics are like playing a 1950s betty boop or popeye cartoon, just awesome to look at! The music just adds to the atmosphere of that old cartoon feel. Besides getting my ass handed to me by every boss in this game I had a fun time playing. The story is interesting enough, you are in debt to the devil and have to collect other people debts for him. Collecting the contract is the only way to finish a level and you have to complete it on regular not simple or you cant collect. Only issues I had with this game is that it can be to hard from beginning to end and the shooting controls could be more accurate. Expand
  49. Sep 30, 2017
    jogo simplesmente perfeito.. a trilha sonora então maravilhosa. uma verdadeira obra de arte,digno do xbox one. valeu muito apena a espera...........
  50. Sep 29, 2017
    Cuphead is one of the best visual game ever made, and maybe one of the most difficult... i finish it quickly and it made me feel incredible, even if its difficulty eventually goes too far. The best 2d plateform game of the year
  51. Dec 13, 2017
    I'm mixed with this one. I like the gameplay, the bosses, the platforming. Unfortunately, I don't like the sounds, the weird static that appears every level, and the fanbase, if that counts. The biggest issues are the sounds and fanbase. They sound like they were ripped from a low quality sound site, and the compression was just horrible. Music wasn't that good either, The fanbase ended upI'm mixed with this one. I like the gameplay, the bosses, the platforming. Unfortunately, I don't like the sounds, the weird static that appears every level, and the fanbase, if that counts. The biggest issues are the sounds and fanbase. They sound like they were ripped from a low quality sound site, and the compression was just horrible. Music wasn't that good either, The fanbase ended up as crappy as tumblr ever wanted it to be. Overall, I would recommend this game., just don't discover the fanbase. Trust me. I have seen **** Expand
  52. Jan 2, 2018
    Keyif = 7
    Atmosfer = 10
    Süre = 7
  53. Oct 10, 2017
    Cuphead it's a gourgeous graphic game on a nice mobile platform that's it. I absolutely love the style of the game, and when the game works well it’s a truly rewarding experience that overcomes the seemingly impossible difficulty. Every time I beat a boss I felt re-energized, ready to tackle the next (and there are quite a few of them). But randomness and all too frequent bugs are rottenCuphead it's a gourgeous graphic game on a nice mobile platform that's it. I absolutely love the style of the game, and when the game works well it’s a truly rewarding experience that overcomes the seemingly impossible difficulty. Every time I beat a boss I felt re-energized, ready to tackle the next (and there are quite a few of them). But randomness and all too frequent bugs are rotten apples that spoil what could be a damn near perfect barrel of fruit. Expand
  54. Oct 2, 2017
    Such a great looking game, the visuals and sound design is impeccable. Shame that was all the budget was used for, instead of actually investing in making a fun game. It's pretty to look at, but a chore to actually play.
  55. Sep 29, 2017
    Gráficos incríveis, a ambientação está perfeita. Gameplay flui muito bem e os comando são respondidos com precisão. CupHead é obrigatório para aqueles que se dizem fans de jogos plataforma ou aqueles que gostam de encarar grandes desafios.
  56. Sep 29, 2017
    Bugs there are, but they are by no means off putting. Awesomely styled and hell hard, makes for the great platformer of the year so far. Sit on a couch with your best frienemies and watch them suffer.
  57. Oct 5, 2017
        From the intro i knew i was going to get a great experience. The music, graphics, dialogue, film grain all bring back the 1930s cartoons in glorious fashion. This is a complete love letter of a game and as someone who grew up with older cartoons it hits that perfect stride feeling classic and new at the same time. But what's most important is the gameplay which is solid and addictive.    From the intro i knew i was going to get a great experience. The music, graphics, dialogue, film grain all bring back the 1930s cartoons in glorious fashion. This is a complete love letter of a game and as someone who grew up with older cartoons it hits that perfect stride feeling classic and new at the same time. But what's most important is the gameplay which is solid and addictive.

Gameplay:

The game is basically a sidescroller 2D shooter platformer with a heavy emphasis on boss battles. Each boss has different phases to keep each fight feeling fresh and unique. It's also brutally difficult but rarely feels unfair. Expect to die a lot because 3 hits you're dead and have to start over the stage (unless you get health upgrades from the shop that is).There are also tons of upgrades and powers you can acquire from the shops in the game. The game also offers local co op and i know people are going to love that feature as you can team up with a buddy and take on the challenge together. It has a world map where you choose what level you want to play, boss to take on or upgrades to buy at the shops. Once you select a level you'll be platforming and shooting through the gorgeous levels... And the bosses, can't forget the bosses. The boss battles are some of the most unique challenging monstrosities I've ever faced in a side scroller. They require patience and timing to avoid their attacks and claim victory. They also feel totally different from each other so no two bosses are alike or rehashed. The game rewards patience and near perfect reaction, the feeling of taking down these bosses is akin to beating a boss in dark souls maybe even better.

Music and sound design:

The music in this game is fantastic. From the starting intro to the credits, it definitely feels like a timewarp back to the 1930s. The sound effects too all sound like they were ripped out of old cartoons you can just tell that the developers harbor a deep love for the old cartoons most of us grew up with. In fact there are over 50 songs and they are all great, the upbeat and at times chaotic jazz just fits right in. I especially like the intro song sung by a good ol barbershop quartet.

Overall conclusion:

Overall this game is just fantastic probably one of my favorite Indies to release this generation (next to ruiner and hellblade) the developer studio mdhr put time and love into this game and every bit of it is oozing with unique charm. It's a true masterpiece and I highly recommend this game it's even better than watching an old cartoon, now you can actually play one! 10/10
  58. Oct 4, 2017
    Is a 360 ° masterpiece destined to become a classic and a milestone of the genre. Sublime artistic style, music and gameplay, offered at a great price that could be a bit higher for the overall quality of the work.
  59. Oct 3, 2017
    Short and to the point: The hand drawn animation, the original score, and the homage to 1930's cartoons (and late 1980's platforming gameplay) make Cuphead worth every penny.

Reading some of the middling and negative reviews, I can't help but wonder if this is a game who will find a better audience with older gamers. While playing Cuphead, I frequently think back to games of my youth like Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, TMNT (NES), and Super C. Platformers of that era reveled in difficulty, gleefully beating down the player until the player finally persevered and felt a genuine sense of accomplishment. Like those games, I find myself not frustrated with the difficulty but motivated to get better, learn the patterns, and beat the level so my former 8 year old self can yell at the TV "Yeah, EAT IT GAME" while I finally beat a segment that had been particularly vexing.

All in all, given the price point, there's zero reason to not pick this up unless platformers are just not your particular cup of coffee (bad pun, sorry). And given its very light PC requirements, folks without an Xbox One can also partake in the goodness thanks to Windows Store, Steam, or GoG. Stop reading and go buy it and play it! (Also consider spending the extra $10 to buy the soundtrack in order to support the composer who did a phenomenal job capturing the era.)
  60. Oct 2, 2017
    If you can't beat the tutorial get the hell out of the game industry and give the position to someone with passion. Side-scrolling is coming back in a big way because it's fun and challenging... the journalism business for games didn't blow up until 360, PS3, Wii when games held your hand. This one will expose the hipsters that invaded our fun for no reason and make them look incrediblyIf you can't beat the tutorial get the hell out of the game industry and give the position to someone with passion. Side-scrolling is coming back in a big way because it's fun and challenging... the journalism business for games didn't blow up until 360, PS3, Wii when games held your hand. This one will expose the hipsters that invaded our fun for no reason and make them look incredibly stupid in the process. They can't even comment back with "reported" because they are too weak-minded to process defeat. Expand
  61. Sep 30, 2017
  62. Oct 4, 2017
    The game visuals are beautiful in a timeless, unique way that does not get old.

The music is absolutely fabulous. I especially love the songs telling the story or describing characters. They are just lovely.

The gameplay is rock solid. The bosses take me 2 hours to beat each but the controls are tight and the challenge is appealing
  63. Oct 3, 2017
    Cuphead is, in my opinion, a testament to what indie developers are really capable. It's art style is reminiscent of early Disney cartoons, and from what I have seen really the first of it's kind. At least the first of it's kind worth writing about. Cuphead in itself is a brutally hard side scrolling platformer/bullet hell game designed around it's challenging boss battles. Each bossCuphead is, in my opinion, a testament to what indie developers are really capable. It's art style is reminiscent of early Disney cartoons, and from what I have seen really the first of it's kind. At least the first of it's kind worth writing about. Cuphead in itself is a brutally hard side scrolling platformer/bullet hell game designed around it's challenging boss battles. Each boss is unique in appearance and capabilities, and really forces you to change play style and attack patterns on a whim. I should say that if you are looking for a relaxing mario/sonic type platformer you may want to pass . Cuphead is super challenging. I know some other players will scream "it's not that hard" from the rooftops to show their superior gameplay skills, and I'm sure it might be easy for some players but this game is f@#king HARD! I love it though! It really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you finally beat a level that has taken you many tries to master. A few small complaints I have were not being able to switch weapon loadouts on the fly, and some level desings were just outright not fair, and seem like they were designed to troll only. Another glaring omission was the ability to play online co-op. Couch co-op is great and all but this game needs a true multiplayer in my opinion and I am super curious as to why they left it out of cuphead. other than that, a truly great buy at its current price of $19.99. Cuphead deserves your time. Expand
  64. Oct 7, 2017
    This game is hard, really hard, but you never feel cheated by it and replaying a level for the 20 th time is just as fun as the first time you played it.
  65. Oct 5, 2017
    Great game. 10 out of 10. It's funny to me that a little indie company can pull off a better Microsoft exclusive than Microsoft can. I would recommend this game to fans of the Mega Man series. Gameplay is tight, but non innovative. I've played harder platformers, but this one's up there. Where the true innovation comes is with the visuals and good sound track. The great thing aboutGreat game. 10 out of 10. It's funny to me that a little indie company can pull off a better Microsoft exclusive than Microsoft can. I would recommend this game to fans of the Mega Man series. Gameplay is tight, but non innovative. I've played harder platformers, but this one's up there. Where the true innovation comes is with the visuals and good sound track. The great thing about Cuphead is that it does exactly what it needs to do to be a great game and nothing more. Great throw back to 80's and early 90's platforming shooters. Expand
  66. Sep 29, 2017
    El estilo visual es un deleite, la jugabilidad es excelencia pura y la dificultad muy buena.
    Definitivamente es una compra obligada para el Xbox One.
    Un genial plataformero en toda regla con un modo cooperativo espectacular y un reto digno de mencionar.
  67. Oct 4, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The art still gets the little details of his tribute backing animation, from slightly bleeding colors and film grains to wavy contours that move with frame-to-frame imperfection. Even the map screen uses the classic animation Expand
  68. Oct 5, 2017
    Awesome game. Studio MDHR has never shipped anything before, but they've definitely started their game creation career with a bang. Amazing visuals that remind you of Felix the Cat and other cartoons like it, difficult but fair gameplay, and a coop mode that is probably the best way to play. Also the soundtrack is very good too. 20$ is a very fair price for a game like this as well.Awesome game. Studio MDHR has never shipped anything before, but they've definitely started their game creation career with a bang. Amazing visuals that remind you of Felix the Cat and other cartoons like it, difficult but fair gameplay, and a coop mode that is probably the best way to play. Also the soundtrack is very good too. 20$ is a very fair price for a game like this as well. However, Cuphead is not a game for everyone, but you should give it a shot to see if it is. I'm looking forward to whatever MDHR releases next, as should most people. Expand
  69. Apr 13, 2018
    Mapeamento de controle ruim,repetição e dificuldade que frusta,tudo aliado a um estilo de arte incrível e personagens carismáticos resulta em um jogo superestimado,possui seu brilho,mas não é para os jogadores que não gostam de se frustar dezenas de horas em uma unica fase.
  70. Apr 21, 2019
    Cuphead is really such Overrated Games.
    It not worth it for a story, Gameplays, character at all.
    Not recommended We don't just hate the game, all it matter is another Indie Game like FNAF, Undertales BATIM all over again. Old Cartoon was start to Lose popularly because of this Both Cuphead and BATIM Steal the show. What they keep going to adding and adding and more Attention it
    Cuphead is really such Overrated Games.
    It not worth it for a story, Gameplays, character at all.
    Not recommended

What they keep going to adding and adding and more Attention it never stop those game, This need to stop!

If there the new characters come out then the fandom will get bomb every new character that only Inspired by the cartoons of the 1930's
    Seriously were the other boy?
    Old Toons are goner and passed away
  71. Apr 21, 2019
    This Game is failed for many level.
    - Character are Uncreative
    - Not even fun at all. - Main Characters are useless plot, personally and Non-Animal Type - Cheap Rip off Change my mind Studio MDHR shouldn't make another game that from the 1930's. Indie Gamer Company want to milking more and more and hurting their fanbase Cuphead and Bendy were created as Both Company is highly
    This Game is failed for many level.
    - Character are Uncreative
    - Not even fun at all.
    - Main Characters are useless plot, personally and Non-Animal Type
    - Cheap Rip off

Change my mind Studio MDHR shouldn't make another game that from the 1930's.

Indie Gamer Company want to milking more and more and hurting their fanbase
    Cuphead and Bendy were created as Both Company is highly backslash to the old Cartoon.
    That they do they made too many crossover, Ocs, Shipping that highly annoying and ruining for me.
    There many game better then this.
  72. May 23, 2018
    que juego tan feo eso parece como una mala caricatura hecha para unos pocos, lo compre y lo devolví al otro día ......
  73. Oct 2, 2017
    Mediocre platformer and shmup.¨Nice cozy visuals and sound. The color-bleeding and old film effect is just distracting after 2 minutes. Color bleeding can be disabled, but not other grain and bad picture. Can't disable rumble either. Bad mechanics and controls. Enemies are often not in line to be hit by shots, but they can hit me in the same line.
  74. Sep 30, 2017
    The only marring issue I found was that sometimes, during cuts between loading screens, menus, cut-scenes, and the game, the static noise on-screen halted. This, and only this, made it look like a non-continuous old-time cartoon. If I could give this more than 10 I would.
  75. Oct 18, 2017
    This game is an artistical masterpiece. The art design is magnificient - the studio really caught the pre-war-cartoon spirit. Its spritual predecessor is (without a doubt) super mario bros. You walk around on a map, choosing the next level to play. Most of the levels are bosses - really really tough ones, BUT, theres a learning curve. I recommend to play it with a friend, because its wayThis game is an artistical masterpiece. The art design is magnificient - the studio really caught the pre-war-cartoon spirit. Its spritual predecessor is (without a doubt) super mario bros. You walk around on a map, choosing the next level to play. Most of the levels are bosses - really really tough ones, BUT, theres a learning curve. I recommend to play it with a friend, because its way easier that way. There are even a few upgrades to your Character, so you can strategically prepare for each battle. Everyone who likes platformer games: Grab it. I gave it 1 point less, because its digital only. Expand
  76. Oct 12, 2017
    It's not just a game. This is a real work of art. Art image is the crown of the creation of game artists in the history of game development. Music is also very colorful and fits perfectly into the gamesetting and gameplay.
  77. Oct 8, 2017
    This game is a masterpiece. The visuals, the sound, the gameplay is all rock solid.

It's challenging, but challenging in a good way. In other words, it's not unfair at any given point. The mistakes you make are your mistakes and they are clear. Now, there are a few minor bugs, but these can be patched easily and I expect the studio to do so at some point in the near future. Besides

Now, there are a few minor bugs, but these can be patched easily and I expect the studio to do so at some point in the near future. Besides the very few minor glitches, this game is a gem. It's worth the price they're asking for it (20$) and you should definitely have this in your library.
  78. Oct 13, 2017
    Absolutely fantastic game. Just like an 80's cartoon. Don't be fooled by the art style. Watch out casuals this game will make you cry.

+ Graphics
    + Gameplay
    + Difficulty.
  79. Oct 13, 2017
    This Game is a real jewel for the Xbox One. Of course the graphic is awesome but the gameplay mechanic is also brilliant and smooth. The soundtrack makes this Game unforgettable for me. 10/10
  80. Oct 11, 2017
    Be ready for pain and suffering. But not because the game is bad!
    The game is teeth grinding levels of hard, but its SO SATISFYING when you finally beat a boss you've been stuck on!(aka every single boss.) The style of the game is just beautiful, the gameplay is difficult but rewarding, and the soundtrack is godly. Great game. 9/10
  81. Oct 7, 2017
    cuphead is definitely the best game in the darksouls series, the fluency in its gameplay is incredible possessing points in which the movement manages to be smooth even in the middle of several enemies, the difficulty in its gameplay makes it a watershed game between the player casual and hardcore, his difficulty is incredibly tempting causing the player to get nervous at various times,cuphead is definitely the best game in the darksouls series, the fluency in its gameplay is incredible possessing points in which the movement manages to be smooth even in the middle of several enemies, the difficulty in its gameplay makes it a watershed game between the player casual and hardcore, his difficulty is incredibly tempting causing the player to get nervous at various times, but ... nothing is perfect, the game has numerous bugs making the player feel even more angry, his story is good and well told, but it is not something innovative and well cliché at various times. but above all the mistakes manages to be an incredible game and much fun, even more when it is played in cooperation.
    Critic: 8.6
  82. Oct 8, 2017
    Es un juego que te deja una sensación diferente! es muy divertido! no tienes tiempo para pensar mucho! debes actuar rápido!!!! pues las almas de Cuphead y Mugsman están en juego :D
  83. Oct 8, 2017
    Honestly amazing. This game took my breath away with the amazing visuals, smooth game-play, and a prodigious story. Its a tale of why you should value other things over money and fame. it does sure sound cheesy but its amazing. i have to credit the developers for making this amazing story and spectacular art. Each and every scene of the game is hand-drawn and it took about 7 years to drawHonestly amazing. This game took my breath away with the amazing visuals, smooth game-play, and a prodigious story. Its a tale of why you should value other things over money and fame. it does sure sound cheesy but its amazing. i have to credit the developers for making this amazing story and spectacular art. Each and every scene of the game is hand-drawn and it took about 7 years to draw all of it. If i had a choice in the matter this would be game of the year for sure. Expand
  84. Oct 8, 2017
    Gran juego que ha sabido extraer la experiencia de dibujos antiguos, y es un juego que por fin no premia el ser malo. El único fallo que le encuentro y es un fallo muy importante, que solo está en inglés.
  85. Oct 18, 2017
    Fantastic game, beautiful, very well built.
    wonderful art direction and the musics are very engaging, very characteristic the time to which the game goes back.
    yes, the game is very challenging and the bosses act in different ways every time you play, but even with the high challenge game you reward each win. It is an unmissable adventure.
  86. Dec 15, 2017
    Cuphead manages to hit almost all the right notes. Its graphics are absolutely top notch and stunning. Every time I play a new boss/level I'm stunned at how dead-on accurate it looks to a 1930's cartoon. The only minor complaint is that the game is ridiculously hard. I mean, I've been playing video games for 30 + years and this is unlike any modern game in terms of difficulty (maybe exceptCuphead manages to hit almost all the right notes. Its graphics are absolutely top notch and stunning. Every time I play a new boss/level I'm stunned at how dead-on accurate it looks to a 1930's cartoon. The only minor complaint is that the game is ridiculously hard. I mean, I've been playing video games for 30 + years and this is unlike any modern game in terms of difficulty (maybe except Dark Souls). As long as you're up for a challenge, you'll enjoy this game. Expand
  87. Oct 16, 2017
    Logra dar una falsa nostalgia de la década de los 30, combinando una serie de factores que abarcan desde una banda sonora magistral, mecánicas simples que se mezclan con desafíos a veces agobiantes pero siempre justos y un estilo artístico memorable cuanto menos. Altamente rejugable y divertido.
  88. Dec 19, 2017
    I have beaten this game and I want to give my own opinion on this game. My opinion is that this game is great!

The graphical and musical quality for this game is outstanding. The art direction for this game is truly superb and they really knocked down the old-timey 1930s style. It even runs smoothly at 60fps. The music is close to it with a fast-paced jazz music making you jump into the game and move around. The bosses are unique and are both unique on each level with different mechanics that make it refreshing yet fun.

Now the only flaw of this game is its difficulty. I am good at difficult games but most people are not. Sometimes the difficulty ruins the person's experience. Like if a game is too easy then they will get bored because there is nothing challenging but if it is too hard then they will get too frustrated and their enjoyment is ruined. This game is rather difficult but not as difficult as most games. But do not let that ruin your experience for this wonderful game!

In conclusion, the game is artistically beautiful and has a catchy soundtrack. The gameplay may be difficult for new players but you will get better. I would give this game a 9.5/10 but for this, it is a 10/10! Have fun!
  89. Jan 21, 2018
    You know how a joke can start funny, get annoying, then become funny again through sheer attrition? That’s Cuphead’s approach to enjoyment. With a beautiful, caustic, near-unceasing stream of boss battles, Studio MDHR’s debut made me scream with joy and horror by turn, but I settled on joy by the end.

The most obvious point to begin with is that Cuphead looks astonishing. Its 1930s animation style – all watercolour backgrounds and surreal, juddering, hand-drawn characters – pay peerless homage to Max Fleischer and his ilk, and are perfectly implemented. Somehow it manages to balance dozens of moving elements and a slight rear-projection blur without ever feeling unreadable in even the most frantic moments. There has never been a game that looks like this and there may never be again. Every scene is a masterwork – it’s a near-unbelievable achievement for an art style.

The sound work is an ideal match: a huge jumble of high-tempo ragtime, swing, big band, and jazz (the list of musicians is almost as long as the rest of the credits combined) pummels away wonderfully in the background of every fight. It makes Cuphead feel truly out of time, and its bizarre mix of ‘30s aesthetics and ‘80s design more heady than ever. I also feel duty-bound to point out that the way Porkrind the shopkeeper bellows “welcome” made me laugh every single time I heard it.

The Music of Cuphead: Recording Floral Fury
    1:29
    There’s no doubt that it’s gorgeous, and many people will be drawn to that, but that veneer conceals a very niche, hardcore design. You may have gleaned by now that this game is really, really hard. It’s absolutely uncompromising in its difficulty from the outset. No level includes checkpoints and, barring one late-game match-up, there is no way to regain lost health. You could hit levels that take hours to beat, and the finale is locked off until you beat every other level on “Regular” difficulty (i.e. extremely difficult). And don’t think that local co-op will ease things up – dropping in a second player as Cuphead’s pal Mugman makes events onscreen that much harder to follow. I find it actively harder with a second player, if anything.

And so, as I played I gradually stopped noticing a lot of the glorious art, because actually interacting with Cuphead is so hectic, so stressful, that it just gets filed away by my right-brain as a distraction. That skyscraper-tall robot firing laser barriers is just three hovering hitboxes and a series of no-go zones. When one boxing glove-wearing frog eats another to turn itself into an evil slot machine, that’s nothing more than a phase change. My favourite boss design – a giant bird wearing cuckoo clock armour and its tiny, ray gun-wielding chick – fires wads of garbage at you by literally turning its head into a bin, but I only noticed that detail when I watched someone else play it hours later.

Cuphead's Story In (Beautiful) Pictures
    10+ IMAGES
    In the moment it’s frenetic, but Cuphead’s structure is a linear sequence of three worlds filled with one-shot levels to complete, and a finale. Those levels can take one of three forms. The least common – and least interesting – is run ‘n’ gun, left-to-right platforming drawn directly from the likes of Contra. Barring one that has you regularly flipping gravity to get through, these are both the easiest and least inventive stages that Cuphead has to offer. They’re meant to provide some breathing space from endless boss battles, but they end up feeling more like a lull.

Thankfully, the other types are straight boss battles, and they are an entirely different sentient kettle of surreal, singing fish. Some take the form of bullet hell shooting, with Cuphead mounted in a free-flying plane. As much tests of dexterity as they are pattern learning, they’re a throwback to the likes of classic Treasure games (just with fewer spaceships and more angry constellations), and slot comfortably alongside them for quality.

Best of all, though, are the platforming battles. This is where MDHR flexes its imagination most, crafting weird, often hilarious bouts that have you interacting with the limited control scheme in more and more interesting ways. Taking on the workers on a ghost train has you not only shooting enemies, but also controlling the position of your rail trolley platform while stopping minions from moving you into dangerous positions. Battling an actress in her theatre takes you through the different stages of a play, and the combat feels almost like a fighting game as she divekicks and uses props as special moves. One of the final levels changes the structure entirely, turning a series of fights into a miniature board game – it’s an absolute joy, and up there with the best boss battles I’ve ever played.
  90. Mar 4, 2019
    A truly fantastic indie game. The animation gives me huge 50's vibes. The music is also amazing. The bosses are also really creative, challenging, and a blast to fight.
  91. Oct 13, 2017
    Cuphead: Broken Fine China

As anyone who's seen anything about this game, yes Cuphead is a beautiful, fun-looking game with a wonderful soundtrack. However, I put emphasis on looks because while they may have been better off making an actual cartoon, that is if they took the time to write a less almost charmingly cliched story for it, the gameplay of this game is garbage. Don't get
    Cuphead: Broken Fine China

Don't get me wrong, every level starts off fun, but believe you me, after the 20th or 30th, or 113th f*cking try, you will learn to hate every single level. Whoever playtested this game should be fired, not just from the company, from the Earth, into the sun. Over 100 attempts was not an exaggeration, this game is so brutally, cruelly, unbearably difficult it made me want to walk to the top of the nearest tall building and throw my Xbox off a roof. It turned me from an animal activist and environmentalist into a man with no goal but to burn every tree and stomp every flower and frog I see for the rest of my life.

For a game with such smooth and pretty animation in all other situations, Cuphead sure could have used the ability to fully rotate his arm. I can't even count the number of times one of those smug looking enemies was waltzing up 3 centimeters from Cuphead's goofy, smiling face but he couldn't shoot him because he has a rare form of Parkinson's that prevents his arms from bending at more than 6 angles. Not only does this ruin gameplay, it makes the painstakingly rendered animations almost constantly look like a janky mess. This could've also been remedied by a players ability to jump on or mele some enemies like nearly every other platformer, but cup head gets hit by a speck of dust blowing in the wind and he's out for the count.

The largest flaw in this game or any game I've ever played in my life is the 3 hit only, no checkpoint gameplay based almost entirely on nearly endless trial and error with ridiculously complex mutli-stage bosses that have more projectiles and side enemies surrounding them at all times than the human eye can possibly keep track of. There were a few bosses so ridiculously cluttered with things on the screen I had to try to unfocus my eyes and just react to the specific blurred colors of enemies because there was just way too much going on.

Without an unlimited lives, checkpoint, or increased aim rotation/button assignment patch I will never play this game again and be glad for it, after all the work that went into creating this beautiful, fun world we want to explore, it's rendered moot by the sheer lack of fun derived from the gameplay. Playing this game felt like a chore, like an exam you had to study for hours to get every single answer exactly write because playing it any way but the one single way to beat it designed by the programmers is the wrong way.

Cuphead seems as if the design process went something like this, "Okay the level looks cool, the boss has some good designs and crazy attacks, on to the next" (but what about whether or not it is physically possible for an average human being to track that many things while dodging and ducking and pin point shooting on a poorly designed aiming system?) "I said on to the next!"

I played it the first time just to see all of the cool levels and bosses and partially just because I refused to be beaten by a game that looked like it was made for children though the child version of myself probably would have blown a gasket playing this game. But looking back at it, I can't think of a single level I had fun playing the entire time, in fact, I hated almost all of the time that I spent playing this game, the grind, the memorization, the repetition, the rage-inducing gameplay shortcomings. Without a serious patch to give this more of a laid back feel that you can just casually play and have fun going through the world, I wouldn't play this game again to save my life, that's just sadomasochistic. It's a beautiful game, that's fun in theory but infuriating in practice, with those basic necessities patched in it would easily be an 8/10, but until such a time, I can't even bring myself to give it more than a 2.
  92. Oct 7, 2017
    +bello stile
    -non e difficile e solo incredibilmente confuso e mal calcolato
    - Bossfight finale buggata che rende impossibile finirlo
    -pochi contenuti dura 15 ore solo perché muori e ripeti in continuazione
    -spesso schivare gli attacchi e impossibile sia per la quantità di oggetti a schermo sia perché evitare alcuni attacchi e impossibile
  93. Oct 2, 2017
    THIS GAME IS NOT EASY
    THIS GAME IS NOT EASY
    This one was a doozy a real doozy I've never experienced such difficulty even in the hardest of tasks in life. Right from the get go the game seeks to humiliate the uninitiated in the most brutal ways possible, "jump" whilst "dash" are you F*****KING kidding me? Respawning enemies galore every time you try jump attacking them YOU receive damage, after 26 minutes I simply did not know how to proceed with such a genuinely difficult game. Now before you go on some racist rant just know I ain't no spring chicken and I've been doing THIS for years.
    Note: plz no death threats
  94. Sep 29, 2017
    Played it on my girlfriend's XBOne earlier in the day. And while it was fun at first, it just got a bit repetitive by like an hour and a half in and it really didn’t show signs of it changing drastically as it went on. Don’t get me wrong, the art style is the main draw of this game but even then, besides the bosses and those set pieces, the environments just weren’t lively. It may soundPlayed it on my girlfriend's XBOne earlier in the day. And while it was fun at first, it just got a bit repetitive by like an hour and a half in and it really didn’t show signs of it changing drastically as it went on. Don’t get me wrong, the art style is the main draw of this game but even then, besides the bosses and those set pieces, the environments just weren’t lively. It may sound like I am exaggerating but I wholeheartedly believe that Contra 3 has better setpieces, bosses and music. Overall, I was just feeling like the game was okay but not fantastic in anything really. I never really understood the hype around this game to begin with as the 2D side-scrolling shooter hit its apex in the SNES; this game does nothing to reinvent that wheel. Expand
  95. Oct 18, 2017
    I've only got up to the second boss fight, but I still love the game. It's challenging, the graphics are amazing, and the game involves a lot of thinking and strategy, so it's actually increases your brain power to some degree. It is one of my favorite videogames of all times, and it's extremely fun. I've watched the cut scenes, and I have this theory that may or not come true that thereI've only got up to the second boss fight, but I still love the game. It's challenging, the graphics are amazing, and the game involves a lot of thinking and strategy, so it's actually increases your brain power to some degree. It is one of my favorite videogames of all times, and it's extremely fun. I've watched the cut scenes, and I have this theory that may or not come true that there will be a sequel that will pick up after the good ending cliffhanger. Don't judge that I've only got up to the second boss fight, because I'm 9 years old, and I've only had the game for two days. edit: now I've had the game for five days and I'm on the fifth boss fight. Expand
  96. Oct 14, 2017
    the aesthetics and gameplay of this game are so well done, it's clear that this comes from a place of love for the cartoons of the 30s and run-and-gun action platformers of the 80s and 90s. cuphead as a whole is deceptively simple with the enemy patterns and stage layouts, but the difficulty (while high) is fair because the game does a great job of teaching you the mechanics throughthe aesthetics and gameplay of this game are so well done, it's clear that this comes from a place of love for the cartoons of the 30s and run-and-gun action platformers of the 80s and 90s. cuphead as a whole is deceptively simple with the enemy patterns and stage layouts, but the difficulty (while high) is fair because the game does a great job of teaching you the mechanics through experience and trial and error

the co-op is really fun too and it adds another layer of difficulty to the game through having to communicate with your partner and having to revive them when they die a lot, though i personally think the one player experience is a lot better because of the way the damage output scales between single- and multi-player and having less things on screen to keep track of. also the powerups are very well balanced, with nothing being too op and every weapon having a decent drawback to them (the roundabout is decently powerful and can easily cross the screen but it's forward range is terrible, the chaser removes the need to aim but it's weaker, the charge shot is very powerful when it's charged but it can't rapid-fire, etc)

the few problems i really have with this is there's a very random glitch that occurs when parrying that causes the game to crash and i have to reset it which is annoying especially in a particularly challenging level, and the timing for the parry is a little too specific imo, but it's otherwise an amazing game at an amazing value
  97. Oct 16, 2017
    whats a great game definetly worthing the 20 bucks great gameplay awessome grafique reminding me my childhood its visual and soundtrack are unique and the gameplay is really chalenging
  98. Oct 6, 2017
    My opinion on this game has changed, I "git good" and now im loving it. 10/10 for sure.
    It's hard but its just right amount of hard which makes it fun. The run and guns are still too hard.
  99. Oct 12, 2017
    Este videojuego está yendo en contra de la tendencia actual de que se debe pagar por las partes que se venden por separado después de comprar o descargar la parte principal. No hay DLC, ni micropagos, ni otra tontería no se pone en el juego. Más bien los consumidores deben ser los que obliguen a las empresas a que se vuelva a como era hace 10 años cuando los juegos se vendían completos.Este videojuego está yendo en contra de la tendencia actual de que se debe pagar por las partes que se venden por separado después de comprar o descargar la parte principal. No hay DLC, ni micropagos, ni otra tontería no se pone en el juego. Más bien los consumidores deben ser los que obliguen a las empresas a que se vuelva a como era hace 10 años cuando los juegos se vendían completos.

In English:
    This video game is going against the current trend that must be paid for parts that are sold separately after buying or downloading the main part. There is no DLC, no micropayments, no other nonsense is not put into the game. Rather, consumers must be the ones that force companies to go back to what it was 10 years ago when the games were sold out.
  100. Oct 28, 2017
    An unexpected delight. I don't usually give out tens but this game earned it with its originality. All the art is hand drawn then scanned in so there is no CG, it looks like I'm playing a 1930s cartoon and its incredible. It can be very difficult on regular so play on simple if needed. I game on regular and sometimes it can take a while to beat a level but its so satisfying.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 16, 2018
    The unique audiovisual elaborating and uncompromising playability beat a few freckles on the beauty of the game. Cuphead is a title that has mistakes, but you just cannot get it from the head. [Issue#279]
  2. Dec 11, 2017
    For players that appreciate classic run-and-gun combat, punishing difficulty, constantly learning from failure, and breathtaking art, Cuphead’s experience will not disappoint.
  3. games(TM)