7.6

1. Nov 18, 2014
    In response to my somewhat picky review of FC3,the developers showed up a couple of nights ago with FC4.Play it they said sternly.Drink this energy drink,eat these snacks they commanded.So I did,and after 30 hours and just starting to scratch the surface they B slapped me to the ground and screamed 'Is that what you wanted'? It is...No contest,GOTY.
  2. Dec 25, 2014
    After beating this game I have to say: Pretty good! This game is actually very similar to Far Cry 3 which really doesn't change a thing so...yeah. Also there are some bugs with the animals. If you go on You tube you can see that on videos Alligators can do flips in the air or do crazy **** like that. Despite the bugs this game still does almost everything right. Also the birds are ****After beating this game I have to say: Pretty good! This game is actually very similar to Far Cry 3 which really doesn't change a thing so...yeah. Also there are some bugs with the animals. If you go on You tube you can see that on videos Alligators can do flips in the air or do crazy **** like that. Despite the bugs this game still does almost everything right. Also the birds are **** annoying. I still recommend it especially if you want to play it with a buddy. Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2015
    The term "Skyrim with Guns" is thrown around a lot these days. Far Cry 4 seems to be one of the closest to that description. Almost total freedom on what you want to do and where to go, large open world and a decent amount of customization. The concepts of the game interested me, so I picked up the 360 version (even though this is the One version). After hearing the game was literately FarThe term "Skyrim with Guns" is thrown around a lot these days. Far Cry 4 seems to be one of the closest to that description. Almost total freedom on what you want to do and where to go, large open world and a decent amount of customization. The concepts of the game interested me, so I picked up the 360 version (even though this is the One version). After hearing the game was literately Far Cry 3.5 I decided to skip 3 and go to 4

Some of my problems. Character development is, how would you say, minor? All of the good characters have little development. The best example would be Yuma, who we only meet a few times and she comes across as "Look, it's my breasts! *ded*" Probably the best character was Pagan, and he was "meant" to be the bad guy!

Overall, fun to play and I'm still slowing completing side quests. If you like adventure and open worlds with guns, you should give it a try.
  4. Feb 17, 2015
    Far Cry 4 is an enjoyable game with side quests that are either unique and awesome, or unique and tedious. There are a few secrets, but some unnecessary. It suffers from what I like to call the "Elder Scrolls principle".
    For example, Skyrim and a huge world with random encounters and an absorbing world filled with little collectables. Far Cry 4 attempts this, but you have a name, you have a story, and there isn't any deep connections besides the characters from the main plot. It is a fun game, but forgettable. It can be summed up as: "I killed all these (insert enemy type) with this (insert overpowered combo) and it was awesome."
  5. Jun 12, 2015
    I love this game, I'm not sure why people are so fussy about it, yes the multiplayer is super buggy, but you don't get this game for the multiplayer, you get it for the giagantic rediculous beautiful singleplayer, the map is GORGEOUS, and huge filled with unexpected adventures everywhere. I will say the story is kind of dumb, but it really isn't that bad and some of the missions areI love this game, I'm not sure why people are so fussy about it, yes the multiplayer is super buggy, but you don't get this game for the multiplayer, you get it for the giagantic rediculous beautiful singleplayer, the map is GORGEOUS, and huge filled with unexpected adventures everywhere. I will say the story is kind of dumb, but it really isn't that bad and some of the missions are pretty damn awsome, and you get to make decisions and pick sides, the guns are amazing, the wildlife is amazing, the graphics are amazing; I know this sounds bad but you can start forest fires and it is SUPER entertaining to fight a battle while the forest around you is burning, its beautiful chaos. Im tryign reall hard to not give any of the game away but lets just say theres ALOT of stuff you can do in this game, one of my favorite things to do in this game was just walk along any given road, and youl find something unexpected or crazy or hilarious. The hunting alone in this game makes it worth buying, my friends would always have me bring over my far cry so they could just hunt on it!! just that part is better than any cabellas game. I mean theres co-op, theres custom maps (with co-op) and theres multiplayer (that doesn't work so very well), also an arena, and soooo any other things, I cant belive theres so many negative reviews, THIS GAME ROCKS, end of story. Expand
  6. Jul 28, 2015
    Far Cry 4 is a good game. It has a few annoying features and the occasional bug, but the gunplay is solid and the characters are interesting. I don't think it's as good as Far Cry 3, but that could just be me.
  7. Nov 19, 2014
    So far this game has been as enjoyable as I had hoped. Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite games and yes Far Cry 4 is very similar in some respects but I am fine with that. There is nothing worse when a developer ruins something good by making it overly complicated in later versions. The mountains are a change from the tropical islands but still offer great opportunities to explore. I enjoySo far this game has been as enjoyable as I had hoped. Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite games and yes Far Cry 4 is very similar in some respects but I am fine with that. There is nothing worse when a developer ruins something good by making it overly complicated in later versions. The mountains are a change from the tropical islands but still offer great opportunities to explore. I enjoy the stealth/hunting aspect although I can see why it isn't for everyone. If you are looking for a COD style FPS then I suggest you avoid this game. Having the choice to stealthily take down outposts or go in with guns blazing is another feature I enjoy about this game. The menu seem somewhat cleaner and simplified which is nice and the auto-drive feature is also a nice addition (for when you want to be lazy). I have not messed with the Multiplayer so I can't rate that but to be honest I could really care less. With xbox one making any sort of interaction with friends online 2-3x as cumbersome as 360 I am fine with solo which is partially I reason I bought this game in the first place. Overall, I am glad I decided to purchase this game and will definitely get my money's worth out of it during the coming months. Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2014
    I have played it now for 5h and the game is just pure fun.If u loved FC3 u will love FC4 even more.I personally love games were i can just run around the map and do what ever i want to do and this game delivers.Hunting Animals,driving around and even flying a little heli is huge fun.As i see i will definitely get my moneys worth with this game.Must have !
  9. Nov 20, 2014
    I will modify this review as I progress, however this game seems to be another underrated game in my opinion. If you enjoyed Wolfenstein and Skyrim, this game is for you. It seems every game, even the greatest such as half life and halo have their haters and it looks like they've all come out early. I thoroughly enjoy this game so far after playing for about 3 HRS and will update you as I go.
  10. Nov 19, 2014
    Amazing graphics and gameplay. Such a huge game and so many quality missions! Infinite possibilities. Fly a gyro-copter, go for a hang-glide or use a jump-suit, try kill a Rhino without a grenade launcher to skin it, take over posts by brute force or by disabling an alarm and attracting wild animals to do some of the dirty work, or just go wandering about and see what you run into.
  11. Nov 26, 2014
    Much better than I thought it was going to be! Soo many people crying about how this is Far Cry 3.5 that I actually hesitated to pre order it. But now that I have played the game, wow those people are clowns!! Yes it has a FC3 feel, but only like all Halo games feel Haloish, all COD feel like COD, etc... If you where a serious fan of the previous game you will notice many little thingsMuch better than I thought it was going to be! Soo many people crying about how this is Far Cry 3.5 that I actually hesitated to pre order it. But now that I have played the game, wow those people are clowns!! Yes it has a FC3 feel, but only like all Halo games feel Haloish, all COD feel like COD, etc... If you where a serious fan of the previous game you will notice many little things have changed, so many that it feels like the true sequel that it is, for example All the vehicles drive a bit different now in order to accommodate using your gun while driving, it can feel a bit weird, but I guess driving with your gun out in real life is probably not the most natural feeling, still drives great, a new vehicle is a jiro copter and that makes it easier to get to places faster, and you use your gun!!
    The story is actually pretty good, and in some aspects actually surpasses the last time. But it involves reading letters written by other characters, it really takes the story to a grand scale, those non readers are the ones upset with the story, none of the characters really compare to Far Cry 3 crazy bunch, Its just a different environment, people have different motivations.
    The difficulty has been taken up a notch from the last one, There are sooo many more things to do! Yes similar to the last game but many have been tweeked quite a bit, one thing I noticed immediately was when I was liberating a post, I was around a hundred yards away looking for cover and mortar dropped on my head! Seriously it has a lot of new stuff, but you only real fans will notice them.
  12. May 15, 2015
    This is basically Far Cry 3 with better graphics and different animals. Which is great, but I played that so much i'm having a hard time consistently gaming this.
  13. Feb 1, 2015
    After playing the entire game I have adjusted my review as there are certain things about this version of the game that just don't work as well as the other games. I love the Shangri La parts and wish the whole game was more like this. I feel this game is more restrictive in how it lets you progress in the game and I think they could have made the achievements more interesting andAfter playing the entire game I have adjusted my review as there are certain things about this version of the game that just don't work as well as the other games. I love the Shangri La parts and wish the whole game was more like this. I feel this game is more restrictive in how it lets you progress in the game and I think they could have made the achievements more interesting and challenging. It is still a good game but not as good as it could have been. The acting is superb especially the villain. Worth your money and still deserving of a release day buy or even a pre-order and there are not many games you can say that about. Expand
  14. Dec 4, 2014
    Takes far cry 3 and hugely improved on it. I love this game. The story can feel a bit iffy at times but ignore that and you have a great gorgeous lookjng game 8-10
  15. Jul 21, 2017
    Estava a espera de um novo far cry que logo que eu começasse a jogar pudesse imaginar que seria um jogo incrível, e sim, o jogo está muito bonito, dublagem excelente, cutscenes intrigantes, ambientação magnífica.
    A pessoa que da nota zero pra esse jogo deu só pra chamar a atenção pois não consegue enxergar o trabalho que é fazer um jogo excelente.
    Não minto fiquei com receio de pegar
    Não minto fiquei com receio de pegar esse game pelo fato da Ubisoft ter cagado em Watch Dogs e lançar assassins creed unity com bugs, mas este valeu a pena!
  16. Nov 28, 2014
    Far cry 4 provides fans with many bonus features, along with the essential breath taking graphics. Though the structuralist storytelling and some what repetitive narrating has become most noticeable as a continuous theme within the sequel. Do not fear, this is an excellent game that fans will LOVE. Best open world game of the year and one of the most enjoyable games of 2014. Well done Ubisoft!
  17. Nov 24, 2014
    I haven't quite finished the game but I've logged over 15 hours so I feel that I've played enough to make an educated review. The hunting dynamics and the liberation of the outposts both stick out to me as some of the most fun I've had in this game. I do think it was a mistake to make this game cross-gen, as it definitely hurt the graphics, although the scenery does still look beautiful. II haven't quite finished the game but I've logged over 15 hours so I feel that I've played enough to make an educated review. The hunting dynamics and the liberation of the outposts both stick out to me as some of the most fun I've had in this game. I do think it was a mistake to make this game cross-gen, as it definitely hurt the graphics, although the scenery does still look beautiful. I think if they went the route of AC Unity and only made for next gen it would look much more impressive. The game seems to run smoother than farcry 3 and there are plenty of things to keep you busy. The story isn't incredibly interesting but that's mostly made up for by its incredible open world and addictive gameplay. Expand
  18. Dec 8, 2014
    This is the shooter of the year 2014...
    Beautiful and so much fun! And the best is... you can bring a friend in with you. Of course, FarCry 4 is looking very similar like FarCry 3... but like someone posted here... so does COD, Halo,... So FarCry 4 is taking all the good of FC3 and pushing the enveloppe even more... The map is huge and so open to just... explore and enjoy!
    My only
    This is the shooter of the year 2014...

My only disappointed moment... Not enough of the amazing bad guy, Pagan Min.... While the co-op is just incredible, one thing to note is that only the host will progress in the world mapwise. Still both players items, money, and inventory will all be saved in co-op... So i wish both could progress in the world map wise... Oh well....
  19. Dec 2, 2014
    Pros- Very pretty game: animals actually have articulated fur, plants sway in the breeze, decent physics and hte activate wild life adds to the atmosphere. When I watched gun play during lets plays, I was sceptical on the games difficulty. I thought hte game would be easy, but when I got it and played it on hard difficulty I was pleasently surprised that the game was actually difficulty (IPros- Very pretty game: animals actually have articulated fur, plants sway in the breeze, decent physics and hte activate wild life adds to the atmosphere. When I watched gun play during lets plays, I was sceptical on the games difficulty. I thought hte game would be easy, but when I got it and played it on hard difficulty I was pleasently surprised that the game was actually difficulty (I typically only play on the hardest difficulties as i love a good challenge), wild life was killing me and being out numbered was actually a bad situation unlike other FPS games. Decent gun recoil and lots of fun weapons adds to the game. TONS to do, lots of missions and things to get lost doing and explore with a vibrant open world (Ubisoft has mastered open worlds now). Pagan Min is fun, awesome villian and I can't wait to see how the story turns out.

Bad- NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY, just an FYI. Violent, lots of swearing, and drug use. 30 fps Ubisoft statement and 900p is dumb. I love my Xbox One, but don't bone PC and PS4 because of wanting to "end arguements." Menu system to me is...dumb, and the UI is minimal which typically i like, but in this case looks weak to me as there are lots of tabs. The radial menu looks clunky...personal preference, it works so meh.

Overall, I never played FC3. But I play the crap out of FC1 on PC and FC2 on 360 and I loved both of those. This is refinement compared to those games, amazing leaps into next gen...I love it!
  20. Jan 27, 2015
    The game gives you way more freedom than far cry 3 although there is something missing. Interesting characters are few if any in this game, but the overall fun factor and the world design keep this game afloat
  21. Mar 19, 2015
    Almost a completely open world/free-roam plot driven single player mode which takes place in "Kyrat," similar Tibet or other adjacent civilizations to the Himalayan mountains. However it isn't completely open due to Himalayas being impossible to reach unless part of one of the few quests that will take you there after a loading screen. I was expecting to be able to climb and conquer theAlmost a completely open world/free-roam plot driven single player mode which takes place in "Kyrat," similar Tibet or other adjacent civilizations to the Himalayan mountains. However it isn't completely open due to Himalayas being impossible to reach unless part of one of the few quests that will take you there after a loading screen. I was expecting to be able to climb and conquer the mountains with the grapple and the trailer is a bit misleading. Unfortunately, while it is a thrilling experience, it confines you to a linear path and there isn't much to explore let alone much of a reason to.

The gameplay is great, a huge arsenal on guns, bows, and explosive weapons all customizable with attachments and paint jobs. Level-up/XP system and Mass Effect style choices left for you to make which have huge impacts on the game make this a combo of RPG and FPS. Stealth mechanics and style of play works great and AI is intelligent and can easily spot you even if crouched in a bush or 50 yards away. Many side quests and collectible items which reward with XP and new weapon unlocks. The characters have depth, both protagonists and antagonists and voice acting and script is good. Graphics are good but not amazing but textures and view distance is much better than previous far cry games.

Online is alright but the bulk of experience is in the single player or co-op single player campaign. Would rate at 8.5/10, takes around 40 +/- hours to complete depending on amount of optional activities you do so I would recommend doing all optional quests and exploration to acquire collectibles as you move through kyrat. Aka once you liberate an outpost do the quests that are there before you move on, I made mistake of pile driving through story missions and neglected many side quests, some of which are too easy and no challenge once you've leveled up a lot and unlocked powerful weapons or are in the Northern Kyrat part of game.
  22. Aug 25, 2015
    Really good Far Cry game, along side Far Cry 3, this game features highly detailed environments, new challenges, Karma system, and great story. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the game, just a couple frame rate drops here and there, but this is a pretty good game. Get this game.
  23. Apr 20, 2016
    I wrote a review the other day and have this a 10/10 but after playing it all day today I wish I could give it 100/10. No other Far Cry game ever had me so drawn in and immersed/ mesmerised. The quests are so different from each other that 10 hours in the game I'm still getting fresh surprises. There's strategy, puzzles much better than Tomb Raider. Got a rare black jaguar kills prettyI wrote a review the other day and have this a 10/10 but after playing it all day today I wish I could give it 100/10. No other Far Cry game ever had me so drawn in and immersed/ mesmerised. The quests are so different from each other that 10 hours in the game I'm still getting fresh surprises. There's strategy, puzzles much better than Tomb Raider. Got a rare black jaguar kills pretty good. 10 hours in just starting to use the eagle bombs and bee bombs. Prefer a fire club. Doesn't feel like a Far Cry game at all. Everything so interwoven. For instance to go to the cold areas you need to kill the animals for a coat. Still haven't ridden a mammoth yet and so much awesome, brilliant fun to be had.

A combination of Tomb Raider and Monster Hunter but better with your own savage pet. Graphics are awesome.. Theme, setting, sound effects all work together superbly. Addictive as hell.
  24. Apr 12, 2015
    When I first reviewed this game I was overly harsh. I don't even remember what my problem was - I think I was annoyed at constantly being attacked by birds. I've come around though, and this is now one of my favorite games. It's gorgeous, there's always a bagillion missions to go on, and even though the story is not it's strong point, you kinda forget about it and create your own narrativeWhen I first reviewed this game I was overly harsh. I don't even remember what my problem was - I think I was annoyed at constantly being attacked by birds. I've come around though, and this is now one of my favorite games. It's gorgeous, there's always a bagillion missions to go on, and even though the story is not it's strong point, you kinda forget about it and create your own narrative - the strategy becomes which missions you choose, based on what upgrades and tools you're looking to acquire. Expand
  25. Dec 9, 2014
    I have always been a fan of the Far Cry games and Far Cry 3 was amazing, so is Far Cry 4. A lot of people have been saying its just a repeat of Far Cry 3, I understand where they are coming from however what has happened is they found a winning formula for their games. Their is so many new things and awesome stuff to do also loads of new guns which made me happy. I do miss not being ableI have always been a fan of the Far Cry games and Far Cry 3 was amazing, so is Far Cry 4. A lot of people have been saying its just a repeat of Far Cry 3, I understand where they are coming from however what has happened is they found a winning formula for their games. Their is so many new things and awesome stuff to do also loads of new guns which made me happy. I do miss not being able to put any attachment on any gun which is annoying as not a lot of the guns can have silencers on unless I'm just not far enough into the game. Overall very good game. Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2014
    I was a big fan of Far Cry 3 so when I heard that 4 was basically 3 with nicer graphics and a different map I was on board! While those short descriptions were true 4 has some definite improvements on 3 the inclusion of little helicopters made traveling long stretches easier, and faster but you always feel like a part of the world you are basically dangling under the prop of a homemadeI was a big fan of Far Cry 3 so when I heard that 4 was basically 3 with nicer graphics and a different map I was on board! While those short descriptions were true 4 has some definite improvements on 3 the inclusion of little helicopters made traveling long stretches easier, and faster but you always feel like a part of the world you are basically dangling under the prop of a homemade helicopter so you can see everything going on you can see and hear the world around you. I often see something going on below me and drop in to check it out. The radio towers and outposts are alive and well which is great. This game includes Fortresses which are very difficult to tackle on your own. Thankfully you can do almost anything in game (except story missions) with a friend. I've only done it a few times but it was seamless and fun. Story wise (no spoilers) I enjoy my character and his story, and the world around me more, but the protagonist while interesting is not someone you see that much. This is a well crafted, deep game I would highly recommend. Expand
  27. Dec 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line: If you want a prettier and updated version of FC3, then this is your game. Far Cry 4 is not a radical departure from it's predecessor - which is a good thing. The story ditches the word, weakling bro protagonist and replaces him with the son of two revolutionaries. I found that Ajay's roots to Kyrat make for a much more believable transcendance to badassery.

Added co-op and other gamemodes like Arena are a welcome addition to the series but not necessary to enjoy the game. Far Cry 4 continues to keep the franchise focused on the single player, open-world experience.

Other stuff: gyrocopter, awesome bows, better stores, fast travel, controllable AI backup fighters, a bazzilian ways to gain XP, a simplified leveling scheme....elephants
  28. Dec 15, 2014
    I always do my reviews about 10 hours into a game, whether it is a linear gam e or a huge open world, 10 hours is enough to experience all the game mechanics and open up a good deal of the map on open world games.

Far Cry 4 is probably the best open-world game of 2014. Actually, scratch the probably, it IS the best. I have gone through numerous open world games this year, GTA V, Unity and Destiny were all good games in their own right, and for a few weeks it looked like Dragon Age Inquisition would take my pick as top sandbox of the year, and then I put in FC4.

The world is immersive and beautiful. It is quite easy to get lost in it, but on top of that, it is expansive beyond any game I have played before. 10 hours is usually enough for me to have unlocked the entire Creed map, or the entire GTA map, but I still have 3 major sections of the map to remove fog from, much less liberate.

This game did exactly what we wanted, it gave us more Far Cry without making itself a complete bastardization or cash grab. And unlike so many other new games, there are no microtransactions coming up every few minutes in an attempt to get you to buy more from the dev. Ubisoft did an amazing job bringing the spirit of Far Cry to new levels. And While Pagan Min is definitely No Vaas, that is not a necessity, as the character development in the game definitely takes a backseat to your exploration.

Awesome Game.
  29. Jan 2, 2016
    Great game, super fun, even more stunning visuals. unfortunately, the audio quality still isn't quite the best, but the audio is nonetheless better than far cry 3. This game isn't super original story-wise, it's a fair bit like a re-textured far cry 3, but still pretty fun. there's some new stuff that I'm happy about, and it's full of dozens of hours of fun. don't be put off by the badGreat game, super fun, even more stunning visuals. unfortunately, the audio quality still isn't quite the best, but the audio is nonetheless better than far cry 3. This game isn't super original story-wise, it's a fair bit like a re-textured far cry 3, but still pretty fun. there's some new stuff that I'm happy about, and it's full of dozens of hours of fun. don't be put off by the bad user rating on Xbox, it's a fun game! Expand
  30. Jan 5, 2015
    Without a doubt the best game I have played this year. With this my first step into the far cry world, I guess I am not tainted by the similarities this game may have to prior versions. The world is massive (albeit hindered by cross-gen build), the missions are all fun and vary in intensity and variety. I like the way that achievements are not about collecting every single item, as thereWithout a doubt the best game I have played this year. With this my first step into the far cry world, I guess I am not tainted by the similarities this game may have to prior versions. The world is massive (albeit hindered by cross-gen build), the missions are all fun and vary in intensity and variety. I like the way that achievements are not about collecting every single item, as there are so many thinks so collect. I have 980/100 Gamerscore, and it's one failing is the multiplayer (where my remaining 20GS lies). Can not get a game for love nor money. (Lack of players?). Back to the game: I like the wildlife AI along with the random events. It makes the world feel alive....always alive. The modes of transport are varied with Gyrocopter and wing suit my faves). The story was okay, though there appeared to be little consequences to any choices made in the story. The radio DJ becomes annoying after awhile. The soundtrack is good and is best during the closing acts, really ramps up. Overall, thoroughly enjoyed this game. (40+hours clocked on this) Expand
  31. Jan 13, 2015
    Great game!! If you loved FC3 then you'll enjoy this one for sure. Tons of fun things to do like using a fricken flamethrower while riding an elephant!!! The only downside to this game is the fact that the main antagonist Pagan Min didn't get enough screen time but he was really awesome!
  32. Feb 22, 2015
    8.5 - A great game that is near excellent.

8.5 - A great game that is near excellent.

Far Cry 4 takes everything that Far Cry 3 did and builds upon it. You play as Ajay Ghale, a Kyrati-born American looking to spread the ashes of his mother, Ishwari Ghale, at the mysterious Lakashmana in his mothers homeland of Kyrat - only to be swooped up in a revolution against the king, Pagan Min. Far Cry 4 is no doubt a really fun game packed with lots of stuff to do and lots of animals to hunt. You will easily get 15+ hours out of the single player. You will be doing everything from setting fire to dangerous elephants to exploring the mystical land of Shangri-La. This is a diverse, fun game that is even better with the addition of drop-in, drop-out "buddy" style Co-Op. The main disappointment with the game is with the story. Sure, it's a good story but the characters feel a little two dimensional - and the campaign under-uses Pagan Min, which is a real shame. The other problem is the bell towers. I was never a fan of the radio tower system from Far Cry 3, so to bring it back to Far Cry 4 was a little frustrating - luckily you can get a helicopter in the game so you can just fly on top of the tower and do it instantly. Other than those two minor drawbacks, this game is a lot of fun and well worth the £40 asking price. Once you're done with the satisfactorily 15 hour+ single player, you can have a go with Far Cry 4's chronicals of Kyrat multiplayer which is a 5 v 5 game mode... Pagan Min's troops vs the Golden Path. It's a good multiplayer, if not a little slow at times, and calling in bears and shooting enemies with a bow and arrow is equally as fun as blowing up bears with RPG's.

This is a great game that is near-excellent and I would recommend it to anyone.
  33. Mar 8, 2015
    FAR CRY 4 this is basically a Bear Grylls adventure set in the Himalayas. This is the most beautiful, dangerous and inspiring place this Far Cry series has given us – not a huge mountain or wild Elephant While previous settings have brought with them an inherent hint of danger, Far Cry 4’s fictional state of Kyrat often feels overtly serene and gentle as religious villagers go about theirFAR CRY 4 this is basically a Bear Grylls adventure set in the Himalayas. This is the most beautiful, dangerous and inspiring place this Far Cry series has given us – not a huge mountain or wild Elephant While previous settings have brought with them an inherent hint of danger, Far Cry 4’s fictional state of Kyrat often feels overtly serene and gentle as religious villagers go about their everyday chores, animals meander around soft canopied trees and clouds flow and fall down and around the peaks at the ceiling of the world.

I was surprised with the length of the game. This review is being written only 30% through the game but I remember playing around an hour and thinking I had completed quite a few missions. Clicking the pause menu and only being on 4% gave me a mixture of shock and excitement. At least it would fulfill my pleasure over Christmas and the New Year!

I think part of the time consumption was capturing radio towers and outposts. This task evidently reduces Min’s soldiers influence around the specific areas and makes it safe for you and your Golden Path resistance movement allies to move in. How and in what order you attempt to spread your holdings is up to you, although much of the available environment is not unlocked until you reach a certain point in the main story mode.

The Co-op/Multiplayer side of the game I struggled with, and when played didn’t really enjoy, simply because I didn’t have many Xbox One friends that had purchased the game. I’m not really a people person anyway – rather a lone ranger! So ill just concentrate on the single player stuff.

The story missions themselves are decidedly and unsurprisingly more complex than the optional extras and side quests, your goal often only achievable by acting in a certain way or treading a pre-determined path. To be honest this is a big help, and makes the outcome become a lot simpler.

The weaponry and customisation is great. Most missions I completed were always done in a stealthy fashion, choosing a crossbow over an AK47 ALL DAY LONG. Even the weapons I did use were always, always silenced. This part of the game really appeals to me and its most rewarding picking arrows out of Min’s Soldiers skulls without being noticed. Always a good save on restocking with bullets and clips too.

Not being caught infiltrating a base or kidnapping an important enemy might work for the story missions, but it doesn’t work for a game based around the player having to smartly react to unpredictable and dangerous events. For example, Min’s Soldiers driving down a mountain, quickly recognising you and unleashing a barrel of clips without reason. That always calls for a quick getaway and the occasional heal.

To summarise, the strength of the world and its systems alone makes this one of the year’s best games and the extreme detail and environmental opportunity means you’ll be playing this game well into the New Year.

By taking things to the Himalayas, Ubisoft Montreal has managed to skilfully string an attractive partnership of awe-inspiring landscape and exhilarating, surprising action. 8.5 for me!

Full Review @ItsMuchMore
  34. Mar 27, 2015
    Far Cry 4 is more of the same Far Cry experience you have come to expect. Solid sandbox open world design. Can be entertaining or get boring depending on the kind of games you like. Characters are interesting and out there, plot is nothing new though.
  35. Mar 28, 2015
    Very good graphics, there is plenty of verticality inside the map which makes the Gameplay fun. Story and missions are generic. The game is overall good because value for money and core Gameplay are both very good.
  36. May 1, 2015
    Great game, the story is very well crafted, very long, and never boring. Visually it looks awesome, all the characters are cool and well developed, the side quests are really great and the map is huge.
  37. Jul 26, 2015
    Far Cry 4 was an amazing game to play. The story and gameplay, though fairly similar to Far Cry 3, kept me coming back and wanting to play more and more. My only gripe is that the villain did not have a lot of screen time.
  38. Aug 30, 2015
    "Far Cry 4" is basically "Far Cry 3.5". That can either be good or disappointing news. Ubi Soft's open-world franchise didn't really hit it big with critics or gamers until "Far Cry 3" which gave the beloved "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood" a run for its money. So the studio decided to replicate its success by almost remaking the game for next-gen consoles. Make no mistake, "Far Cry 4" on"Far Cry 4" is basically "Far Cry 3.5". That can either be good or disappointing news. Ubi Soft's open-world franchise didn't really hit it big with critics or gamers until "Far Cry 3" which gave the beloved "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood" a run for its money. So the studio decided to replicate its success by almost remaking the game for next-gen consoles. Make no mistake, "Far Cry 4" on XBOX ONE is a gorgeous looking video game and it boasts some truly impressive effects while maintaining a steady 30 FPS. But if you wanted something vastly different from its predecessor, than you'll probably consider FC 4 to be a moderate success. Unlike "Far Cry 3", this sequel is less about story and more about the open-world experience. The map is huge and there are plenty of missions to undertake. The campaign and side-missions are single player experiences, but you can wreak havoc and take down outposts with a buddy. The story itself is only okay; a b-movie with the usual Hollywood-like setpieces. FC 4 also features a map editor and multiplayer modes if you're into competitive gaming. Overall, "Far Cry 4" is a good game. It's not quite as satisfying as "Far Cry 3", but fans should enjoy the ride. 8.5 out of 10 Expand
  39. Nov 3, 2015
    This game is almost a masterpiece!

PROS
    -Excellent graphics
    -Smooth combat
    -Intriguing story
    -Great campaign

CONS
    -Horribly disastrous multiplayer
  40. Jan 14, 2016
    I've played all the far cry games. I haven't finished far cry 4 on the Xbox one yet but I'm really hoping somewhere in the game they'll have the same poker game they had in far cry 3 (that alone was worth the cost of the game.). I've played many open world type games but my 2 favorite ones are far cry 4 and fallout 4. While there are a couple of items that bug me with far cry 4 (mainlyI've played all the far cry games. I haven't finished far cry 4 on the Xbox one yet but I'm really hoping somewhere in the game they'll have the same poker game they had in far cry 3 (that alone was worth the cost of the game.). I've played many open world type games but my 2 favorite ones are far cry 4 and fallout 4. While there are a couple of items that bug me with far cry 4 (mainly not being able to bypass cut-scenes which is a little unexcusable), I just love the feeling of walking through a butiful world filled with all kinds of things to interact with. For me, I play far cry 4 when I want a bright cheerful open world and I play fallout 4 when I want a darker apocalyptic open world. Seeing far cry 4 on the Xbox one is amazing compared to the 360 version. They did a great job on eliminating almost all the polygon type edges which make things look fake. This game will take me months to complete like its predecessors but I will definitely try to explore everything again. If you haven't played any of the far cry games yet, this one will blow you away (but so also will far cry 3). Regardless of which game you play first, you'll want more and end up playing the other as well and maybe even earlier versions if you don't mind a bit older graphics game but a great adventure.

Simply put, this is a game you'll remember playing for the rest of your life (like some movies leave an impact on you.)

I got my xbox one last month and the games I really like so far are far cry 4, fallout 4, call of duty blackouts iii, batman Arkham knight, sniper iii, gears of war, battlefront (wish it had a story though). I also wish I had bought the Xbox one version of battlefield hardline instead of the 360 version (I like the different cop type playing)

Cudos to the far cry 4 developers but please allow cut-scenes to be skipped!
  41. Jan 16, 2016
    I love this game. I just started playing it through for the third time. I took a six month break and started again last night. This game is a lot of fun and co-op is great.
  42. Jan 20, 2016
    Best Ubisoft/far cry game that I have played! Great game and a must play if you like FPS shooters
    The open world characters and story are just so great as well as the driving and shooting
    Liberating outposts and towers are thought to get repetitive, but are not at all because of the different ways you can approach them Story is interesting and gray and side quests from all the different
    Story is interesting and gray and side quests from all the different people are so fun
    The wide variety of weapons to choose from is awesome and they all depend on how you want to play the game like stealthy or weapons a blazing
    The Awesome: open world, crafting, animals, weapons, vehicles, gameplay, FPS shooting, characters, story and side quests
    The bad: no variety in gun customization
  43. Feb 16, 2016
    Kyrat is a beautiful place. Kyrat has a ton of life. Exploring the world is an absolute blast. It is even more fun when you are playing co-op. The story is good, but lacks compared to its predecessor. If you truly enjoyed Far Cry 3, than you will enjoy 4. I was in love with Far Cry 3, but I can't say the same about this one. The main protagonist, Ajay Ghale, comes to Kyrat to throw hisKyrat is a beautiful place. Kyrat has a ton of life. Exploring the world is an absolute blast. It is even more fun when you are playing co-op. The story is good, but lacks compared to its predecessor. If you truly enjoyed Far Cry 3, than you will enjoy 4. I was in love with Far Cry 3, but I can't say the same about this one. The main protagonist, Ajay Ghale, comes to Kyrat to throw his mothers ashes off a mountain. This is what she wanted when she died. When Ajay arrives, he had no clue the country was in a civil war. Guess what, he ended up getting involved. The main villain was great, but I wish we would have seen more of him. That would have made this game amazing. The shooting mechanics are smooth. The driving is okay. But overall its a must buy. Expand
  44. Feb 25, 2016
    This is a great game . The gameplay and open world setting is awesome . The Elephant riding skill is a great addition . The story is not nearly as good as Far Cry 3 but the gameplay is better compared to its predecessor
  45. Jun 1, 2016
    While Far Cry 4 doesn't bring anything new to the table, it does a fantastic job of capitalizing on the industry clichés. With a massive open world, a variety of guns and vehicles to try, you can get lost in this game for hours. Just don't go into it expecting GTAV.5.
  46. Jul 5, 2016
    I should start by saying that I only played the single player portion of this game. Also, this was the second far cry game i've played, the first being Primal. So while i can't compare it to any of theprevious entries in the series, i must say I really enjoyed this game. If you're looking for an open world game or a fun shooter, then this is a must have.
    The antagonist is a both eccentric
    The antagonist is a both eccentric and violent, reminiscent of a Quentin Tarantino movie villain. The open world is vast and stunning, the graphics are amazing. You can customize weapons with different looks and attachments, which i really enjoyed because i love customization in games. The gameplay is first-person shooter with survival elements, alot of capturing bases and fortresses, driving, and more. Its easy to make your own fun in the open world and with all the different things to do in this game, 100% completion would take me hundreds of hours of gameplay, especially if you include the dlc.
    Now for the negative. I personally found the protagonist dull, as were alot of the NPCs. I wish they were more memorable, like Borderlands. Honestly though, beyond that I'm hard pressed to find anything negative to say about this game.
    I really enjoyed Far Cry 4 and would recommend it to any gamer, I rarely ever give story games a 2nd playthrough but I probably will with this game.
  47. Sep 24, 2016
    "Far Cry 4" on the Xbox One is an impressive first-person action game. Everything from the stunning graphics to the enjoyable co-op to the story missions are solid. But it’s also nothing new. Basically, this is an update of the previous game. You can call it "Far Cry 3.5". Now that can either be good or bad depending on how much you liked Part 3. Personally, I loved FC 3, I thought it was"Far Cry 4" on the Xbox One is an impressive first-person action game. Everything from the stunning graphics to the enjoyable co-op to the story missions are solid. But it’s also nothing new. Basically, this is an update of the previous game. You can call it "Far Cry 3.5". Now that can either be good or bad depending on how much you liked Part 3. Personally, I loved FC 3, I thought it was one of the best action titles of 2012. This sequel is almost as good. It has a massive open-world with tons of things to do and see. However, unlike its predecessor, it lacks an engaging story. This time, emphasis is placed on the “sandbox” experience. You can tackle the huge map on your own or get help from a buddy. Of course, with a second player, wrecking havoc and taking out heavily armed outposts becomes more enjoyable. Unfortunately, the campaign missions cannot be played with a mate.

The story in “Far Cry 4” is pretty basic. In it, a young American named Ajay returns to his native home in the Himalayas to spread his mother’s ashes. While there, he confronts a local warlord named Pagan Min and the freedom fighters known as The Golden Path. After learning of his heritage, Ajay joins them and fights to free the country from Min’s oppressive rule. Like all open-world action games, FC 4 mainly consists of firefights, side activities and exploration. You can tackle most missions with either stealth or all assault. And a grappling hook, elephants and gyrocopters are just a few new ways you can travel the terrain.

All the new additions to the Far Cry formula are great. Multiplayer and the map editor are still included, but the cooperative missions from FC3 are gone. Overall, "Far Cry 4" will please most fans of the series. It may not be the evolution its predecessor was, but it's a pretty good upgrade. I only wish it had a better story. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.
  48. Apr 1, 2017
    In general I love this game. Easy menus, good controls (similar to COD for example), nice open world, good graphics & sound. Most of the game is built around simply having fun, which is really why I play games.

After the prelude, the story line doesn't get in the way too much in terms of of cut scenes. I love some of the characters in the game (Mr. Chiffon, Rabi Ray Rana, Longenous and Pagan Min, probably all spelled wrong). Good diversity of things to do in the sandbox (hunting, shooting, racing, flying, exploring, swiming, blowing things up). Wide open world, considerable play time to complete game, multiple ways to approach missions are all pluses to me.

The game has a few quirks that both irritate me at times, but yet make it what it is. Getting simultaneously attacked by a bear, tiger and eagle while attempting to stealthily take an outpost can be annoying at times, but the fun of the game far outweighs the irritation.

The game has an awesome variety of weapons, a couple of which are way over the top. The buzzsaw comes to mind. Get in too deep, pull out that beast and annihilate the field in seconds.

A game built around freedom and fun. A nice change of pace.
  49. Apr 4, 2017
    Solid value that promises many many hours of FPS action. Possibly a superior game than the newly released Far Cry Primal but now at bargain bin prices, that has to count for something
  50. Jun 2, 2017
    This game was pretty good. Although the story was not as good as the last game, Far Cry 4 is still a great entry into the series because of its great gameplay and graphics.
  51. Feb 16, 2018
    Nice game
    Good story, nice Graphics, Gameplay, Great Graphics
    the game earns more love cause the open world is massive and full of things to do
  52. Jun 15, 2021
    Far Cry 4 is pretty much Far Cry 3.5, but it's still great. The gameplay has a number of enhancements and additions. A grappling hook, a gyrocopter and elephant riding have been introduced as well as a co-op mode. Also, players choose from two different story paths at the start of each new mission. Other new features include a challenge arena and a "karma" system. I would rate this with anFar Cry 4 is pretty much Far Cry 3.5, but it's still great. The gameplay has a number of enhancements and additions. A grappling hook, a gyrocopter and elephant riding have been introduced as well as a co-op mode. Also, players choose from two different story paths at the start of each new mission. Other new features include a challenge arena and a "karma" system. I would rate this with an 8.7 out of 10. Expand
  53. Nov 6, 2018
    Many hours to fully complete, great open world, medium difficulty, The worse ever ending game that`s the minus 2 points
  54. Jul 29, 2019
    First off, this game does not live up to the hype or even the incredible background the story is set against. This game is not only beautiful in terms of landscape, but also lore and culture. The gameplay and game mechanics are actually pretty great and runs perfect. The major downfall is the lackluster story and weak villain. The story when you think about it even a little makes littleFirst off, this game does not live up to the hype or even the incredible background the story is set against. This game is not only beautiful in terms of landscape, but also lore and culture. The gameplay and game mechanics are actually pretty great and runs perfect. The major downfall is the lackluster story and weak villain. The story when you think about it even a little makes little sense and the character of Ajay kind of sucks. The other characters are also pretty weak and have no layers. There are also side missions that could be interesting, but have no impact whatsoever in the overall game, and its a shame because the characters within them are some of the best in the game. This game could have been amazing and one of the best ever and easily take the top seat in the franchise if it just had a more interesting villain and story. Expand
  55. Jun 5, 2020
    Far Cry 4 is a solid entry to the franchise, kicking off the new generation beautifully.
  56. Sep 28, 2020
    Far Cry 4 is a good game. Far Cry 4 is a open world game set in kyrat during modern times. The main story is good the side missions and activities are great the gameplay is the exact same as Far Cry 3.
  57. Feb 15, 2021
    Я считаю, что на сегодняшний день это крайняя часть Far Cry, в которую играешь с большим удовольствием, наслаждаясь действительно хорошей картинкой и игровым процессом, не делая никаких поблажек на культовость и прочую исключительность. Я к тому, что тот же Far Cry 3 уже воспринимается не так здорово и скорее всего лично для меня уже отходит в раздел воспоминаний. Что же касается киратскихЯ считаю, что на сегодняшний день это крайняя часть Far Cry, в которую играешь с большим удовольствием, наслаждаясь действительно хорошей картинкой и игровым процессом, не делая никаких поблажек на культовость и прочую исключительность. Я к тому, что тот же Far Cry 3 уже воспринимается не так здорово и скорее всего лично для меня уже отходит в раздел воспоминаний. Что же касается киратских приключений, уверен, что к ним еще не раз вернемся. Что можно сказать о данной части? Про картинку уже отметил тут всё на очень хорошем уровне, игровое действо всё то же - отжимаем территорию у жестокого импозантного тирана Пэйгана Мина, то есть да-да зачищаем аванпосты и более укрепленные крепости, постепенно двигаясь по увлекательному сюжету к желанному трофею в виде головы окаянного фрика. Попутно проходим многочисленные допмиссии к слову достаточно интересные в отличие от притянутых за уши в предыдущих частях. Здесь и освобождаем по стелсу заложников, и отстреливаемся с крыши грузовика из гранотомета при сопровождении груза, выручаем местных жителей от нападения хищников, знакомые радиовышки никуда не делись конечно ну и так далее. И это в большинстве своем действительно увлекательно. Из нового стоит выделить возможность полета на мини-вертолете, что значительно сокращает дорогу от точки до точки и сильно помогает в бою с теми же отрядами смерти Мина, ну и передвижение верхом на слоне, которое тоже вносит новые тактические боевые особенности. А так по сути Far Cry 4 это те же яйца только в профиль, хотя и яйца куда более чем реалистичные чем раньше. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Feb 15, 2015
    It can sometimes feel a little bit like Far Cry 3.5 rather than Far Cry 4, but it's a fun and enjoyable experience nevertheless, particularly so with another player. [Issue#119, p.60]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 9, 2015
    It's a fine sequel but plays it a little too safe for our liking. [Issue#257, p.70]
  3. Dec 17, 2014
    One could still wish for a better story, for more choice and consequence in your actions or for an end to the nagging collect-em-up nature of the Ubiworld. But for sheer daft mayhem, this is now the action game to beat.