6.7

1. May 11, 2019
    The Good: fun game mechanics

The Good: fun game mechanics

The Bad: Ignoring the secret ending, there is no satisfaction from the story to the player for their effort. The first rule of making a game: do not make player actions meaningless. And that is exactly what the story does to this game. I feel like they were trying to make a deep though provoking ending like The Forest ... but Far Cry 5 does not do this. I just feel cheated.

Waste of my money.
  2. Aug 10, 2019
    I was soooo excited when I got this game and I was saving it for the right time to play, so after the intro and starting the game and playing for about 3 hours, the next couple of days i felt disappointed every time I start loading the game.

Why am I feeling like this … the game doesn’t feel the same as Far Cry 3 and 4, the game sure looks beautiful once it starts, the weapons, the animals, the vehicles and even the world, the detail is breathtaking … even the music in the game, took me my heart by storm and I loved that, what a way to capture my attention.

HUGE (SIGH)

I notice that when am playing, that I have to accomplish certain missions to get “perk points” so that I can unlock skills for my character. This is really dumb move UBISOFT, we normally get skill point through experience (fighting), not by going out to fish … by the way the fishing is good, add it to the next far cry games.

And now I am asked to buy vehicles and boats and airplanes … and to make matters worse, the game world has very little money … what the hell ? Now we have silver bars!!! UBISOFT you want to follow the path of mirco-transacting in this game, am guessing you are just like EA, keep following in their footsteps … and see where that leads you!

I feel disappointed even when writing this, I feel like UBISOFT made a big mistake changing the style of the far cry games with this one. What happened to radio towers and discovering the map through that style ?! Oh well, I guess I have to walk on the whole map and discover every place of interest on my own!

The more I think about this game, the more I get pissed, my review ends here!
  3. Apr 19, 2018
    As someone who loved Far Cry 3 and 4, it pains me to say this game is terrible. My review after about 30 hours of playtime (game not complete and probably won't be):

* Player is simply 'deputy' who can't speak or be seen * NPC's are a joke (no actual characters like Pagan, Chiffon or Longinous anymore) * Shooting controls are much worse. Rifle scopes are terrible * Playing 40% of

* Player is simply 'deputy' who can't speak or be seen
    * Shooting controls are much worse. Rifle scopes are terrible
    * Playing 40% of the game in 'the bliss / stoned' is annoying
    * Rarely find any vehicle to travel in (walking simulator)
    * AI for enemies is comically bad
    * Crafting of better gear is removed from the game
    * Radio towers are removed from the game
    * Looting is basically removed from the game
    * Sand box is large and pretty, but offers nothing fun to do
    * Fishing is really bad
    * Getting kidnapped 9 times (regardless of what you are doing) is dumb
    * Zero interaction with the 4 main bosses (only see them during loading screens)
    * No way to pass time (wait for light/dark)
    * Stealth weapons like bow and throwing knives now useless most often
    * Mission markers & compass are frequently not find-able on screen
    * Game is not funny or fun to play. Every mission seems like a chore.

In the words of Mumu Chiffon, "I could go on, but I won't"
  4. May 9, 2018
    It's always disappointing when a game has so much promise and possibility yet fails so horribly. In the case of Far Cry 5, it's because the developers just didn't care. This is a game that almost couldn't miss and yet, somehow, Ubisoft threw a nearly perfect gutter ball.

To be fair, there are a few things the game did right. The world is vast and beautiful, with varied terrain and some clever design. Character models are substantially improved over previous versions, looking far more lifelike than nearly any other title I can think of offhand. Unfortunately, that's where the praise ends.

Because the truth of the matter is that Ubisoft phoned this one in and it shows. Sound design is variable, with the ambient sounds of the forest sounding marvelous, while the sounds of vehicles are irritating to listen to as they're essentially just speed-swept samples without variations. AI is, as per the Ubisoft usual, defective: when NPCs aren't experiencing one of the few moments of actual lucidity, they're running around completely ineffectually and showing the survival instincts of a yam.

Where prior entries in the series allowed reasonable progression at a sensible pace, FC5 instead doles out money with an eyedropper and skill points only a little less miserly. This forces players into one of two paths. Either you can go indulge Ubisoft's impulse to put MICROTRANSACTIONS into a Far Cry game and pay them MORE money, or you can earn money by...fishing. You're often forced to stop playing the game so you can play a fishing simulator, made compulsory by bad game design. Far Cry is a game about survival and combat; Cabela's makes fishing games. And yet, you'll find yourself fighting fish rather than enemies just so you can afford a gun that is more powerful than the average spitball. Crafting of equipment upgrades is gone, requiring the spending of more money, which requires more time in the crappy Cabela's ripoff part of the game.

Most disappointingly, however, is the plain fact that the writers gave not a single damn - or the company didn't. For a series that gave us memorable and amazing characters like Vaas Montenegro and Pagan Min, FC5 is nothing but cardboard-cutout generic "Bad Guys" direct from the cliche cookbook. The game interrupts the open world regularly with unavoidable "kidnappings" of the player character, forcing you to sit through some of the most trite, insipid, and outright boring cutscenes ever put into a game. The writers gave absolutely no thought to creating believable villains, instead going for "hey, we'll just write something everyone can hate without thinking." Every interaction with them, every radio message, every cutscene just underlines the fact that nobody cared about the story at all. In a game where story needs to drive the player's actions, that's a pretty serious screwup. The game's four primary villains are such utterly forgettable caricatures that they don't rate individual review; it would involve more effort than went into their creation. It's not just enemies, either: most of your allies are just tropes pasted into the game, handed the most insipid lines, and delivered without interest.

There are a few notable exceptions: Luisa d'Oliveira, Steve Byers, and Mayko Nguyen were extremely believable and had depth, and the town priest was well-acted if not terribly well-written.

The rest, however, are an embarrassment. It's a level of plot and character writing that would be at home in an Uwe Boll movie, and maybe not even rising to that level. In part, it's because the developers chose a very controversial frame for their game, then ran away from it. Rather than confronting something uncomfortable head-on as they did in previous installments the developers took one look at how much fire they'd draw from various groups and ran like rabbits from it, abandoning the game's entire premise except for the thinnest of veneers.

When you get right down to it, Ubisoft blew three out of four key areas of game design: the story was pitiful, the gameplay was unbalanced and poorly implemented, and there's clearly no respect for the players with the introduction of a naked cash-grab in the form of microtransactions. (Apparently, Ubisoft was blissfully unaware of the backlash surrounding their implementation in Star Wars: Battlefront II.) The game clearly lacked content and the developers knew it, so they padded the time by slowing player progression and forcing diverts into minigames like fishing. Microtransactions are practically forced on the player as a result, and the extortionate way they're handled and priced is a bald-faced insult.

At the end of the day, there is no way this game is worth release pricing, or indeed any price tag over about $10. If you're looking for an enjoyable shooter, this is most definitely not it. Get a reduced price copy of Far Cry 3 or 4 and play that instead; either one is ten times the game that this disorganized, confused mess is.
  5. Mar 9, 2019
    The story makes no sense, the concept is flawed, the graphics aren't as good as other games. The selection of weapons & vehicles is quite small. I'm not a fan of this game at all. The ending (all 3 of them) seemed thrown in just to annoy the player. I don't think the Far Cry series should be seen as a AAA game anymore, it's just a marketing ploy to steal money from people who want to playThe story makes no sense, the concept is flawed, the graphics aren't as good as other games. The selection of weapons & vehicles is quite small. I'm not a fan of this game at all. The ending (all 3 of them) seemed thrown in just to annoy the player. I don't think the Far Cry series should be seen as a AAA game anymore, it's just a marketing ploy to steal money from people who want to play a good game. Probably one of the worst games I've played in a long time. Expand
  6. Jun 6, 2018
    The game is boring, glitchy as hell, and underwhelming. I cannot believe this is what people were talking about as if it was supposed to be the next best thing. I can see why people were hopeful because this had the potential to be a really good game, but the developers didn’t deliver. The world is huge with a Lot of missions, which is great. Too bad I have zero desire to get through fiftyThe game is boring, glitchy as hell, and underwhelming. I cannot believe this is what people were talking about as if it was supposed to be the next best thing. I can see why people were hopeful because this had the potential to be a really good game, but the developers didn’t deliver. The world is huge with a Lot of missions, which is great. Too bad I have zero desire to get through fifty percent of the game. I won’t be giving this series another chance. Expand
  7. Apr 25, 2018
    This game **** sucks **** garbage trash no story **** game play how the **** is this made for xbox one and an earlier title in the series that came out like six **** years ago better **** worthless piece of **** game do not buy
  8. Nov 22, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If this game would just shut the heck up and let me play it’d get a higher score, but no, every so often you get captured then escape. Nine times in total. No choice, no chance, just boring exposition while a character talks in a reasonable tone of voice while doing and sayin* the most extreme things. Little of which is interesting most of which is ‘you just don’t understand’. Well, no, because you’re making me listen to stream of consciousness nonsense that’s simply filler.

You get hauled out of immersion for what? Ten minutes each time showing how unhinged the cult is. Well, the dismembered bodies littering the place might have been enough of a clue.

The real annoying thing is the ending, in which the main character puts the blame for the end of the world on you. ‘Not every problem can be solved with a bullet younknow’. Well, I’m not the one crucifying innocent civilians for the lolz am I’m? The games put me in a position where I can only solve problems with a bullet, so the lectures a little hard to take.

The ending is a gross disappointment since it renders redundant virtually everything you’ve done. Plot twists are good.... if done well, but this isn’t. You get told I was right you, were wrong, as if an 8mpendin* nuclear war was sufficient justification for nailing toddlers to the floor. No, just use the bloody bunkers that everyone has in their cellar and forget the torture. But then there’d be no point to the story. The writers seem to have used a desire to produce a shock ending and forgot about any consistency. Like biting into Victoria sponge and finding someone’s replaced the cream with chopped liver. A shock, yes, good idea no.

On the upside the game plays well, but you have to ignore the story, and once you’ve said that you’ve said it all. Mash the b button to skip the cut scenes. I’ve done the hard work for you and it ain’t worth it.
  9. Feb 16, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is easily the most bland and least fun Far Cry game ever made. It is a complete disaster.

1. The story and side quests are almost all really boring, but even worse are the boss battles. They are extremely repetitive and you can't take your companions with you for any of them... which is when you really want to take them. On top of that, the final boss battle is possibly the most pathetic final battle I have ever played. It is so bad that it is embarrassing, and the ending that I got was one of the most dissatisfying endings I've ever seen. Total failure on the part of Ubisoft.

2. Getting captured and having to escape has become a total cliche in these kinds of games, and I was hoping that they would finally get rid of that nonsense for this game. It's been done to death, and it's just EXTREMELY lazy writing at this point. But in this game you get captured over and over again (like 10 times). It is beyond stupid. Getting captured once or twice in a game like this is MORE than enough. After that, I can no longer take the game seriously. What on earth were they thinking?

3. Much like in GR Wildlands, there is just too much stuff happening all over the place ALL THE TIME. This completely kills the sense of being immersed in a remote wilderness. Far Cry 3 did the best job when it came to immersion, as you could sneak through the jungle and really feel like there wasn't a soul around. This made those surprise animal encounters or enemy patrols even more exciting. But since then, Ubisoft has gone overboard with this stuff, and has programmed way too much activity everywhere you go. You can barely even loot bodies on the road without another enemy vehicle rolling up, and then another, and then another.... Wildlands had this problem too, and it was one of the biggest complaints that people had about it. For some unknown reason they did the same thing with Far Cry 5. It really sucks.

4. The weapon selection is extremely limited - shockingly so - and there is no weapon screen for me to check my weapons/attachments/etc. It doesn't even tell you how many rounds are in your clip. Somebody at Ubisoft just phoned it in and forgot to add this stuff.

5. There is no mini map, so you are constantly having to stop and check the main map. Again, somebody at Ubisoft forgot to add this useful feature.

6. Weapons switching is broken. Like in previous Far cry games, you are supposed to be able to switch back and forth between two weapons using the Y button, but in this game as soon as you travel it resets them, and so it constantly pulls out the wrong weapon when you press Y. This is very irritating.

7. They kept saying that John was dead even before I started his main mission to go kill him.

8. There are way too many drug effects throughout the game.... like it is the central theme. It's cheesy and annoying. Sometimes you just pass out for no known reason and end up someplace else. It's just one dumb thing after another with this game.

Overall, Far Cry 5 is a MASSIVE disappointment, one of the biggest of all-time. It is nowhere near as fun as Far Cry 3 or 4, and it isn't even as good as Wildlands. I am officially done buying anything from Ubisoft. This game is truly terrible, and everyone I know is already bored with it.
  10. Mar 30, 2018
    Downvote the negative reviews all you want. It doesn't make them any less true. Rent this one. Do not buy. It's an interesting entry but nothing truly groundbreaking for a Farcry sequel.
  11. Jun 27, 2018
    What a brilliant job of removing everything good about a game to replace it with long boring speeches and hired guns that walk in front of your shots and stand in the middle of fires and burn to death. Far Cry 2 and Primal are the best games in this series in my opinion with 3 and 4 being pretty good. I really miss all the things that have been removed and although this game isWhat a brilliant job of removing everything good about a game to replace it with long boring speeches and hired guns that walk in front of your shots and stand in the middle of fires and burn to death. Far Cry 2 and Primal are the best games in this series in my opinion with 3 and 4 being pretty good. I really miss all the things that have been removed and although this game is beautiful to look at I find the constant chatter of all the background characters annoying to the max.I don't like the story and I can't for the life of me get immersed in this game. I am entertaining myself by wandering aimlessly through the beautiful country side but the game keeps standing in my way of having any fun. What is the point of having a silent protagonist if everybody else NEVER shut up. I don't understand why when a game is loved by many and has an audience it has to be messed with and ruined. Are my son and I the only ones who loved climbing the radio towers? Forgot to mention Blood Dragon was awesome! After finishing the game I lowered my score and ended up hating everything about this game. The story was ridiculous, the characters were laughable, the music was terrible and I never once had a minute of fun. Disaster! Just a heads up, don't play as a female character as the chatter is even more torturous to listen to. Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2018
    Soundtrack it Epic! But the game itself is such a letdown, Wait until its on sale to buy.

First off i want to say bravo to the people behind the soundtrack to this game! Without it i would have given up playing it. It is the best Soundtrack i have heard, So congrats to them. As for the gameplay…..WOW. Frame rate issues, screen tearing and hit or miss graphics. NPCs in the game are

NPCs in the game are unpredictable and stupid. Cars smash into walls for no reason, NPCs are duplicated over and over again. I ran into the same women 3 times in the same area. Same goes for the enemy, you fight the same 3 enemies over and over again. No verity at all.

You can not breathe for a minute whilst doing anything, walking, driving…..nothing! You have some enemy spotting you and attacking you.

Enemies spawn right behind you out of nowhere, and helicopters are constantly above your head and knowing where you are at all times.

If you use stealth, they will spot you. Every fight ends up with you having to shoot about 40 men (Who all look the same)

People you meet in the game for missions are boring, lifeless and stiff. There is no soul to the game whatsoever.

Micro-transactions are pushed upon you. So much so that if you want to go and use a car or gun you bought (In the game) you HAVE to go to their online store to also see the real money items you can buy as well. This might sound ok, but imagine how many times you use this feature to pick your weapons back up and upgrade them 100s perhaps…….and imagine having to wait for an online connection to find their store? Sometimes I'm waiting for 30 seconds each time for it to load! THIS IS DISGUSTING UBISOFT.

I feel ashamed that such a great soundtrack is in the game, it really is WAY too amazing for this total nightmare of a game.

Speaking of which, why have an amazing soundtrack only to give us no way of hearing it whilst driving, because the engines are so loud? That is ridiculous Turn the noisy engine down and give us the ability to raise the music higher! All other big game devs do this, so why can't you?

Also, why give us the ability to buy nice cars, only to force us to only see one view inside the vehicle? Its sloppy developing….this and all the other things i have mentioned show how lazy the team behind far cry 5 were.

All the above is just stuff off the top of my head. There are multiple other things you will come across in the game that continues to show the lack of love that went into Far cry 5. For shame Ubisoft.
  13. Apr 3, 2018
    Can't stand this game's save system. One single save file and the game only lets you save when it wants you to. I don't know who at ubisoft came up with this genius system, but they need to be fired.

You'll be playing and getting 80% of the way to a new location 5 minutes away and then 5 trucks will show up out of nowhere and gun you down instantly, forcing you to respawn at square one.

I'm 2 hours in and I refuse to put up with this garbage until they fix it, which will likely be never.
  14. Jul 30, 2018
    While a visually striking game that features a very user-friendly control scheme, this title is, unfortunately, a total miss. The first thing that brought me down was the uniform and generic appearance of the enemy faction. It feels like every enemy you face is one of 3 or 4 very similar character models, and they all seem unrealistic-looking somehow. Like they don't even belong in thisWhile a visually striking game that features a very user-friendly control scheme, this title is, unfortunately, a total miss. The first thing that brought me down was the uniform and generic appearance of the enemy faction. It feels like every enemy you face is one of 3 or 4 very similar character models, and they all seem unrealistic-looking somehow. Like they don't even belong in this game. Next comes a very disingenuous-feeling storyline, complete with leading characters (both friendly NPCs and leading villains) that badly lack in credibility/believability. The game's entire premise just did not convince me. Disappointing, especially considering how much I enjoyed Far Cry 4 and Primal. As I tried to soldier on and at least enjoy the gameplay, the glaring absence of a knife for stealth kills nearly becomes a deal breaker on it's own. Sneaking up on enemies with one of 2 versions of a lead pipe, a baseball bat or gardening shovel is exciting once or twice, it just doesn't feel as satisfying. It really doesn't.
    Speaking of stealth, I like to sneak up on enemies. Whether they're in small groups or a large outpost. Looking through the binoculars and taking my time on an approach feels immersive and awesome to me, so I can't stress this enough: Far Cry 5 never gives you the chance to take a breath and look around and enjoy the beautiful world around you. Just when you spot that group of enemies, drop into sneak and start tracking their movements through your binoculars or scope...a vicious wolverine will suddenly attack you from behind—an enemy plane will spot you from the sky and circle around to strafe you—a truckload of cultists (enemies) will pull up and start unloading from their mounted M-60. All at the same time. Seriously, this happens constantly. Taking a drive from point A to point B also kills immersion b/c an enemy of some kind spawns in or along the road about every 100 yards or so. Considering how many cultists you come across holding hostages on the roadside during any given drive, it seems like the entire population of Montana must be out there kneeling at gunpoint. If you try to confront every enemy you pass, you'll never make it anywhere. Action is great, but give me a chance to feel like I'm part of a world, not the constant center of attention for every hostile inhabiting the place.
    This title had some fun moments. But between a storyline/cast of characters that I can't buy into and gameplay that's frustrating, boring and above all, immersion-killing, I cannot recommend this game—even to die hard Far Cry fans (which I consider myself one). Nice visuals/world, but I'd stick to the older titles. Huge disappointment for me. Gets boring fast. Waste of hard-earned money.
    PS—There were many bugs/glitches, and the companion system is nothing short of "meh."
  15. Sep 16, 2018
    Far Cry 5 is a casuals game. It lacks any sort of really difficulty especially with the inclusion of NPC team members, which are literally forced on you throughout the game. The loot system and upgrades are cheap and regurgitated from previous games, making it boring and unsatisfying to say the least. The story is abysmal and plays on cliche tropes which have been rehashed over and overFar Cry 5 is a casuals game. It lacks any sort of really difficulty especially with the inclusion of NPC team members, which are literally forced on you throughout the game. The loot system and upgrades are cheap and regurgitated from previous games, making it boring and unsatisfying to say the least. The story is abysmal and plays on cliche tropes which have been rehashed over and over again to the point of being beaten past death into the afterlife and beyond. I don't get why people think the graphics are amazing, I am playing on the Xbox One X with a 4k TV and I found the graphics to be lacking compared to other video games currently out. Expand
  16. Apr 1, 2018
    I hate the inability to save/restore your progress. If you make a mistake your only option is to restart the game from scratch.

Also if you exit your vehicle it can just disappear. You shot the bad guys and go back to loot and their bodies have gone!!!

The scenery is great. The physics works well but the lack of a restore is a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. It is gone from my PC.
  17. Mar 28, 2018
    Farcry is still a 30fps stuttering experience on consoles which for many is unbearable in 2018
  18. Apr 8, 2018
    I would give this game a minus zero if I could. The World is Week campaign is BS. It has nothing to do with the game. 20 seconds is BS. You get no money or points. It has NOTHING to do with the game. Ubisoft you SK. I will NEVER again buy one of games!
  19. Dec 8, 2019
    Worst Far cry to date....Unskippable cutscenes are the main reason, I mean far crys stories were never their strong suit but at the very least you were able to skip them before. Now you're FORCED to sit there and listen to the retarded antagonists ramble on for mins at a time and you being stripped away from the action and just to sit there and listen to the forced moronic writing andWorst Far cry to date....Unskippable cutscenes are the main reason, I mean far crys stories were never their strong suit but at the very least you were able to skip them before. Now you're FORCED to sit there and listen to the retarded antagonists ramble on for mins at a time and you being stripped away from the action and just to sit there and listen to the forced moronic writing and drivel that comes out of their mouths.

Then there is the boring and repetitive gameplay, they've done nothing new to improve or add anything interesting to the formula, it's just more of the EXACT SAME THING AS THE OTHER 4!!

Gunplay is absolute **** the bullets feel like you're shooting people with paintballs and there's no feedback.
  20. Jun 29, 2020
    I gave this a 8/10 initially, I'm not a 100% sure as to why, it was a rather bland experience, I've returned every now and then to the game, and it's just no fun, it's too easy, the villains weren't memorable, only concept I liked was the music-trigger thing, but other than that it was just literally a reskinned Far cry game, like all the others, no real improvements to either narrative orI gave this a 8/10 initially, I'm not a 100% sure as to why, it was a rather bland experience, I've returned every now and then to the game, and it's just no fun, it's too easy, the villains weren't memorable, only concept I liked was the music-trigger thing, but other than that it was just literally a reskinned Far cry game, like all the others, no real improvements to either narrative or gameplay. Seems to be the ubisoft formula tbh. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 6, 2018
    This fresh take on the Far Cry franchise is clearly visible content-wise, but a tad more discrete on the style. If you're not bothered by the slightly repetitive formula, you'll enjoy the many strengths of this episode.
  2. CD-Action
    Jun 5, 2018
    Far Cry 5 is exactly what you would expect from a Far Cry game and not much more. It does the open world really well, but the bland story drags it down. The game touches a sensitive subject, but doesn’t have guts to actually say something and couldn’t convince me even for a minute that what’s happening could be real. What the franchise obviously needs is a new beginning, a leap of faith Assassin’s Creed Origins was brave enough to take. [05/2018, p.56]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    May 26, 2018
    Murderous and mad, this is one of the silliest, most immersive open worlds on Xbox. [June 2018, p.73]