6.2

1. Feb 17, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 is an excellent and long overdue return for the console RTS, doing everything that can be expected of a sequel. Bigger, better and fresher, the Blitz mode is a welcome addition to an already solid package, and while fans of the mainline Halo games may find the transition too hard to bear, this is a worthy addition to any Xbox One owner’s collection.
  2. Mar 14, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 expands on the first one and is an excellent game. The campaign is very good and with more missions coming, it will only get better. In typical fashion, the multiplayer in this Halo game is also very good. Blitz is a fantastic new game mode and a ton of fun, but only has one map, but more maps are being discussed as a possibility. This being a Play Anywhere title at the priceHalo Wars 2 expands on the first one and is an excellent game. The campaign is very good and with more missions coming, it will only get better. In typical fashion, the multiplayer in this Halo game is also very good. Blitz is a fantastic new game mode and a ton of fun, but only has one map, but more maps are being discussed as a possibility. This being a Play Anywhere title at the price that it is makes it an absolute must buy for Halo and RTS fans! 70+ hours into it and can't stop playing! Expand
  3. May 14, 2017
    Going into this game, one needs to know that it is not the most complicated RTS game ever. It's relatively simple, and it isn't any Starcraft. Despite that, Halo Wars 2 manages to be a blast in almost every way.

First off, the gameplay, while simple, has some depth to it. The core gameplay is a rock-paper-scissors with some curveballs thrown in. How you get your units, how you command them, what types of units you use, what upgrades you get and how you use your special abilities will help keep the game fresh for a while. Adding onto that, there are a few different types of game modes that make it even more fun to play. There is a card based game mode called Blitz which is ok, though it's a bit pay to win.

The story mode isn't too inventive on the gameplay side, but the story itself is a treat for any Halo fan. The voice acting and cut scenes are also amazing. The graphics are also amazing, and the game runs very smoothly.

Overall, this is a solid RTS and an amazing game for Halo fans. I also want to give this game credit for having a great season pass, something most games don't. The base game already comes with 6 heroes (another one free), a story mode, blitz and 8 maps plus a few other modes, and the season pass has already delivered two heroes and more to come. It's an exciting game to keep up with long term to be sure.
  4. Apr 16, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 succeeds at doing an RTS on a console, and a good one at that. The options available to build your army are subtle and varied. Leader powers and hero abilities also directly involve the player in the combats. The player does NOT spend most of the time at base sending waves at an enemy that only exists on a mini-map. Instead, the player will be jumping back and forth between theHalo Wars 2 succeeds at doing an RTS on a console, and a good one at that. The options available to build your army are subtle and varied. Leader powers and hero abilities also directly involve the player in the combats. The player does NOT spend most of the time at base sending waves at an enemy that only exists on a mini-map. Instead, the player will be jumping back and forth between the long term strategical resource management of the game and the fast-paced tactical combat of Halo Wars. Halo Wars 2 is a deep satisfying game for those willing to make the effort to peel back its layers. Expand
  5. May 17, 2017
    I know I can't speak for everyone but online for me was really good with no lag or connection problems. Games vary and can be intense when competing with similar skilled opponents.Furthermore each of the original 6 leaders you can choose to play as, are completely different, hence why I am good at using some of the abilities on one leader, then horse **** with the next. Campaign wasI know I can't speak for everyone but online for me was really good with no lag or connection problems. Games vary and can be intense when competing with similar skilled opponents.Furthermore each of the original 6 leaders you can choose to play as, are completely different, hence why I am good at using some of the abilities on one leader, then horse **** with the next. Campaign was enjoyable too. Would recommend. Expand
  6. Jun 29, 2020
    This game was broken when i played it at launch.
    As for the Story its just bad, the changes to characters appearances and voice actors hurts the connection between this and the great original Halo Wars.
    Like Halo 5 the fans have be mislead into thinking the main antagonist was going to have a larger involvement in the story and he's just not their for almost all of it. The new
    This game was broken when i played it at launch.

The new Graphics suffer much like Halo 4 & 5 do from the new Art-style taking away to more gritty and human look to all the buildings, weapons Armor and vehicles

Combat has become more a rock paper scissors meaning if you pick the wrong unit theirs no chance of you coming out on top, you have to counter with the correct unit to win

The story ends on another crappy cliff-hanger and I have little to no interest in Halo 6 after everything 343 has done to Halo
  7. Feb 20, 2017
    If you enjoyed the original then the sequel is a must. Quality campaign, and the game-play feels like the original. Anyone looking for more Halo Wars this is it.

One of the best sequels I've played to any game in awhile. It adds to the original without breaking away from its roots to much. Blitz mode is addictive and everything in the game seems to play around your Blitz mode decks, as you build up XP to earn packs to level up your cards.
  8. Mar 9, 2017
    Whether you enjoy the RTS genre or have never tried an RTS before, Halo Wars 2 sets out to accomplish a satisfying RTS for both type of players and then some.

The campaign is both an introduction to RTS novices and an open Sandbox for RTS veterans, it accomplishes this by creating scenarios that can be experienced in both basic and complex ways. If you're an RTS novice you probably want to play on easy or Normal and learn the fundamentals of RTS gameplay while the game sets up scenarios for you that can be tackled by understanding the basic principles of the game (how resources are generated, the tech tier and the build order on how to get there, and the units & counter units), taking your sweet time to get it right.

If you're a veteran of the RTS genre you should be playing on Heroic or Legendary where time, flanking, counter attacks, baits, choke points, kiting, and creativity is what will get you to the end without heavy unit loss and at a respectable pace without spending hours upon hours on a single mission.

This lateral scope is impressive considering how well the two previous paragraphs are executed by Creative Assembly. I played the game on Normal the first time around for the narrative (more on that below) with my second play-through being on Legendary where I can be fully methodical and a stickler for the details of the strategy I am trying to implement.

The campaign levels start straightforward enough with the art style and tone of the game trumping complex level design for the first few introductory missions but that happily gives way to far more complex level design and crazy fun scenarios to play through that rival some of the best missions from Starcraft 2 in this reviewers eyes.

From a narrative standpoint the game mirrors it's approach to level design in that it starts off by trying to ease new players in but then ratchets up the layers as the campaign progresses albeit with more emphasis on following through with answering some questions left after Halo Wars 1 in the beginning. That's not to say someone who hasn't played the first game would be lost here but I would say there is enough story line in this to warrant a play-through of the first game if you absolutely must know who Serena is, and why the crew was in cryo (all things discussed and explained within the first hour of the game) or you can simply look up these details online.

My normal run of the campaign took me almost 11 hours, the level variety is great and as stated before, the level design is equally so. The story of the game is paced well enough with some true moments of spectacle for the Halo fan of Yore and the new comer that may not know who Red team is or who the Covenant are ( by the end of this you'll know why so many Halo fans love their Spartans), however it isn't perfect due to a bit much of an emphasis on backround dialogue filling the role of keeping the story ball moving, It isn't something that hurts the game in any serious way but rather serves to ding the overall narrative presentation rather than the story being told.

The characters in this game are great, and while you won't be having any Ellie and Joel moments here this game sets up these characters with enough depth for you to care what's happening in your 10-12 hour romp.

For you fellow Halo nuts reading this, there are indeed tie ins to the mainline Halo story (the one with Master Chief), but this is a story about the Spirit of Fire, it's crew, it's Spartans that time forgot, and an enemy no one in the Halo universe wanted to remember was there and are now paying the price.

On the Multiplayer side of things the same depth reserved for the higher difficulties of the campaign is in full demand here, These are the modes you RTS-starved console players want, whether it's Strongholds, Domination, or straight up Deathmatch, your full skill-set is required here. While three game modes in the non-Blitz side of things sounds scarce (More on Blitz below) the modes are almost a night and day difference from each other and change the pace for you enough to satisfy different approaches to play styles depending on how you feel like playing during any particular session.

Finally there's Blitz, a card based, fast paced game mode designed as an entirely new way of playing an RTS. As you play Halo Wars 2 you get packs, these packs have cards, and these cards are used to create a deck, Energy is used to play 1 of 4 cards you have at your disposal at any time, using those same units to play what is essentially king of the hill. The mode is fun, and serves as a quick match type for those looking for a more laid back approach to their online PvP activity without sacrificing depth and exhilaration. Think of Overwatch pacing in an RTS. It isn't a mode for everyone but it stands well enough alone to be noteworthy.

Halo Wars 2 is an excellent RTS with a lot of depth and things to do for all types of players with varying interest in the genre. 8/10
  9. Feb 18, 2017
    Very, very, very similar to the first game. They've managed to change a few details and add a few things which is why I gave it an 8 instead of a 7. I think the changes/mode additions in this game is gonna make things interesting. Plus the campaign has been pretty fun so far. If you liked the first game and wouldn't mind playing a very similar game to that you have no risk here. If youVery, very, very similar to the first game. They've managed to change a few details and add a few things which is why I gave it an 8 instead of a 7. I think the changes/mode additions in this game is gonna make things interesting. Plus the campaign has been pretty fun so far. If you liked the first game and wouldn't mind playing a very similar game to that you have no risk here. If you were looking for something drastically different don't purchase. Expand
  10. Feb 18, 2017
    Exactly what i loved from the first Halo wars. While some things are disappointing like the ending or some campaign missions i got a halo rts with the characters i loved from the first one.

Multiplayer is fun with each hero having unique abilities and units with several games to choose from. Some for practicing and some for testing how good you really are. Also blitz isnt paid to win! Gameplay can be fast or steady depending how you play the game with a hero or how the match is going in general. A lot of action though with small skirmishes and battles as you fight for bases and choke points/resources.

I can say or myself and my friends as halo wars veterans this is the game we were hoping for as a RTS console and PC as well. The game us veterans have been asking for, for 8 years.
  11. Feb 19, 2017
    single player story is good but I don't like the cliffhanger that is just as bad as halo 5. blitz mode is very fun but my first match the enemy team managed to get scarabs way too quickly and me and my team mate didn't have a chance (Nerf Atriox or the scarab) .
  12. Feb 19, 2017
    Great presentation and the story is much better than Halo 5. I'm not an RTS guy but I found it easy to get into and enjoyed how each level had unique objectives. I was surprised there was even boss fights. Such an unexpected game for console. Ran well on PC but I ended up mostly playing it on xbox.
  13. Feb 20, 2017
    Best game on Xbox one at the minute. Microsoft need to have more strategy games on console. Very simple but yet very fun to play. Shame you carnt build walls and proper defensive bases but never mind. Creative assembly have done well with this one
  14. Feb 18, 2017
    I'd rate Halo Wars 2 as a buy after the first price drop. It's got a great mix of content for RTS veterans and RTS newcomers alike. Storywise, Halo Wars 2 seems a bit too brief of a campaign, but the missions are extremely varied in a way that rivals Starcraft, and the cutscenes are some best looking cutscenes I've ever seen in gaming. Multiplayerwise, Halo Wars 2 really shines as you haveI'd rate Halo Wars 2 as a buy after the first price drop. It's got a great mix of content for RTS veterans and RTS newcomers alike. Storywise, Halo Wars 2 seems a bit too brief of a campaign, but the missions are extremely varied in a way that rivals Starcraft, and the cutscenes are some best looking cutscenes I've ever seen in gaming. Multiplayerwise, Halo Wars 2 really shines as you have a great mix of Online Co-Op, verses, and Firefight modes, coupled with offline Skirmish modes against AI. Blitz is a fun game mode for quick games, but the pay to win microtransactions in that mode are going to really prevent a lot of people from playing on an even footing. (I'd stick to blitz firefight in that regard, as it cuts the pay to win element out entirely)

If you love Halo and RTS, defintely buy it at launch. If you aren't quite sold, wait until you can get the ultimate edition at a better price. 343 has a good track record of post-launch support off of Halo 5, (Free maps, tendency to listen to the community for post-launch features and updates) and as good as this game is at the moment, it will be a great addition to your game collection in 6 months when the post-launch DLC campaign, maps, and leaders arrive.
  15. Feb 19, 2017
    Halo Wars was one of the reasons why i kept my 360 as long as I did. I know some people complained about it being a watered down console Rts but I personally loved it. Now with Halo Wars 2 released I can once again watch as epic Halo battles from the cinematic view of an Rts. I love that they combined the classic Halo look with the newer look 343 has introduced in Halo 4 and 5. New unitsHalo Wars was one of the reasons why i kept my 360 as long as I did. I know some people complained about it being a watered down console Rts but I personally loved it. Now with Halo Wars 2 released I can once again watch as epic Halo battles from the cinematic view of an Rts. I love that they combined the classic Halo look with the newer look 343 has introduced in Halo 4 and 5. New units and abilities make the game feel fresh and many complaints from the first game that i had have been fixed. Not to say this game is perfect, but it definitely doesn't deserve all the low user reviews it's been getting. There are a few glitches and bugs, mostly in campaign, but nothing game breaking and most likely to be patched soon. Halo Wars 2 will definitely get plenty of play from me and I'm excited that one of my favorite games got a sequel that doesn't feel like a quick cash grab. Expand
  16. Feb 20, 2017
    Great Story, Beautiful Cut scene videos from Blur and complete revamped game play from Creative Assembly. Some of the best from the Halo series being a spin off. Blitz is a fresh take on RTS but slightly challenging to the fans of the mainline Halo games. A must buy for Xbox and Pc owners.
  17. Feb 17, 2017
    Its a Babys first RTS. But still super fun. Oddly the game looks and feels more like a halo game than the last two halo titles did (4 and 5). Campaign is short but with the skulls and mission objectives on higher difficulties makes it have lots of replay ability. I started playing on XBOX but switched to my PC since I wanted to try the Cross-buy feature. Game runs and controls better onIts a Babys first RTS. But still super fun. Oddly the game looks and feels more like a halo game than the last two halo titles did (4 and 5). Campaign is short but with the skulls and mission objectives on higher difficulties makes it have lots of replay ability. I started playing on XBOX but switched to my PC since I wanted to try the Cross-buy feature. Game runs and controls better on pc. like you would think it would. But the games story is better than most stories we get now adays (which is not saying much) and its overall a decent fun romp.
    Id say the current metacritic score from reviewers of an 81 is pretty on point.
  18. Feb 17, 2017
    Clean, functional, understandable, yet a bit basic.

If you're a veteran Strategy player, you'll find Halo War 2 to be a little simpler than the average Strategy game, but it has found a way to work on the Xbox One.

The game might wear me down a bit after a few more hours, but I'm enjoying it for the time being.
  19. Feb 18, 2017
    An opportunity to breathe some new life into the, rather tired, franchise and introduce some new elements to the genre. A campaign, multiple online multiplayer options and the blitz mode make this an all round excellent release
  20. Feb 20, 2017
    awesome story. great effects. great sound. controls are much better than HW1. The Cutscenes are on Cinema-Level. thanks 343 and Creative Assembly. Well done!
  21. Feb 22, 2017
    As a huge fan of the first game I had my expectations very high for this game and it did not disappoint in the slightest for me. I like the new build queue for the game and the research makes more sense to me this time around. the dual resource management takes a while to get used to but is a welcome addition. this is a must buy for any RTS fan
  22. Feb 24, 2017
    Es un juego bastante completo y cumple con lo que prometia, tenemos un nuevo enemigo con una personalidad contundente que no esta acartonda, el modo historia puede ser corto pero te satisface, combinan el nuevo estilo de arte y el viejo... no se porque la gente lo critica tanto
  23. Feb 18, 2017
    melhor rts do mercado, história épica no estilo clássico e acima de tudo é um grande prólogo para halo 6, se entendermos a proposta do jogo, ele é espetacular
  24. Feb 21, 2017
    Have to say I really liked this game, the control system works well and the graphics and presentation are great. I can definitely recommend it and am looking forward to see what content comes out in the season pass.
  25. Feb 18, 2017
    The Game play is good, but it's the story that really shines. Without giving anything away, it introduces some cool new elements and a new enemy. It fleshes out the familiar characters and the new, giving them all great backstories. The Campaign is short, but the variation is really great. You never get bored. The upgrading is simple in the campaign but you have a lot more options inThe Game play is good, but it's the story that really shines. Without giving anything away, it introduces some cool new elements and a new enemy. It fleshes out the familiar characters and the new, giving them all great backstories. The Campaign is short, but the variation is really great. You never get bored. The upgrading is simple in the campaign but you have a lot more options in Multiplayer. Whether you play the regular Player(s) versus player(s) in this RTS or go into Blitz mode, it's a blast. The great Multiplayer, cut scenes, Story and mission variation in the Campaign more than make up for it not being long enough. It doesn't matter what your experience is in Real Time Strategy or even in the Halo Universe, you will enjoy this game. (Stay tuned after the credits) Expand
  26. Feb 19, 2017
    Huge fan of RTS games and this is definitely one of the best console, next gen, RTS games to date. As most halo fans would agree this game pays great homage to the Halo Universe while exploring a new story and exciting gameplay. My only complaint is the lack of freedom in base design. I still wish there would be more flexibility in base design like other RTS games like Age of Empires orHuge fan of RTS games and this is definitely one of the best console, next gen, RTS games to date. As most halo fans would agree this game pays great homage to the Halo Universe while exploring a new story and exciting gameplay. My only complaint is the lack of freedom in base design. I still wish there would be more flexibility in base design like other RTS games like Age of Empires or Warcraft. Nevertheless if you're looking for a console RTS this is the game for you. Expand
  27. Feb 22, 2017
    I love this game and gave it 10, but after trying to play multiplayer several times I just gave up.
    Graphic is wonderful and the game flow but you must fix the multiplayer mode.
  28. Feb 17, 2017
    Really enjoying my time with this game. The gameplay is similar to Command and Conquer games. Build your bases, gather supplies ( and attack the enemy bases) There is 5 multiplayer modes. I enjoyed playing 2vs2 Deathmatch the most and Domination. I have only started the campaign and so far i like it.
  29. Mar 3, 2017
    Not many RTS on consoles,You're simply the best, better than all the rest
    Better than anyone, anyone I ever met.Just a beautiful game,great story,gameplay and packed full of content to keep you interested for a very long time.
  30. Feb 18, 2017
    melhor rts do mercado, estou apaixonado pelo game, enredo fantastico que combina com o universo halo, sem dúvidas um grande jogo para o xone, e que merece ser jogado, sem falar que ele tem ganchos de explodir cabeças para o halo 6
  31. Feb 21, 2017
    What an amazing game. Best RTS on console for those that may not be very experienced with RTS games. Great Story and looks very beautiful. The cut scenes look great, the gameplay is smooth as are the graphics. It becomes very addicting when playing online. It's a nice step up from Halo Wars 1, but not huge. Highly recommend this game for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.
  32. Feb 25, 2017
    first I want to say on how sad it is to see so many negative reviews, and second I wouldn't be surprised if the user reviews are Sony fans just bashing on the game just for being on Xbox. All in all this is a great game and a very fun multiplayer experience, there are so many options and different ways to play. Even "Blitz" is super fun and addictive. The only thing that kills Blitz arefirst I want to say on how sad it is to see so many negative reviews, and second I wouldn't be surprised if the user reviews are Sony fans just bashing on the game just for being on Xbox. All in all this is a great game and a very fun multiplayer experience, there are so many options and different ways to play. Even "Blitz" is super fun and addictive. The only thing that kills Blitz are the micro-transactions, but thankfully its just on that game mode. Hopefully people are not blindsided from the negative reviews and enjoy Halo Wars 2. Expand
  33. Feb 21, 2017
    Ignore the haters this game is great. I think for a solid release now a days with a pretty descent campaign, a solid multiplayer and a new game changing mode blitz which i think gets too much hate considering the mode is just for fun. This is one mode sure halo 5 did it with warzone which to be fair was a big mode which people cared for but not blitz? Come on guys it's got no baseIgnore the haters this game is great. I think for a solid release now a days with a pretty descent campaign, a solid multiplayer and a new game changing mode blitz which i think gets too much hate considering the mode is just for fun. This is one mode sure halo 5 did it with warzone which to be fair was a big mode which people cared for but not blitz? Come on guys it's got no base building who cares if someone buys packs, it isn't even in the same playlist as multiplayer! That's why i cant see how anyone is using that as a jab at the game. Expand
  34. Feb 28, 2017
    epic game, um jogo que traz uma otima iniciativa para os fãs de halo, no quesito narrativa, e tbm se destaca por ser um rts totalmente dedicado aos consoles e dedicado de forma épica
  35. Mar 6, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 was a overdue game and a big improvement from the first game. Halo wars 2 is fun and it's one of the most strategic games out there so it appeals to all kinds of people. This was a smart idea to release this in before the release of Halo 6.
  36. Mar 19, 2017
    As an Avid RTS player (SC2,Battleforge,Totalwar and etc) This game is a wonderful edition to console gamers to dive into the RTS community, Compared to SC2 the only mechanics I actually see absent is the ability to set units on paths and to macro buildings(You can macro units) Other then that it pretty much has all of the mechanics available. There is kiting your opponent to a choke soAs an Avid RTS player (SC2,Battleforge,Totalwar and etc) This game is a wonderful edition to console gamers to dive into the RTS community, Compared to SC2 the only mechanics I actually see absent is the ability to set units on paths and to macro buildings(You can macro units) Other then that it pretty much has all of the mechanics available. There is kiting your opponent to a choke so only a selective amount can attack at once, there is CC and abilities units offer to reward an individual that is more skillful (Such as using Jump pack brutes to hold units in place to eat group of wraiths Mortar strike or using a Shroud over a group of suicide grunts to sneak them into infantry without getting gunned down.) The single player leaves room to be desired but with more story being added through DLC and more units/leaders as well Halo Wars 2 Is a wonderful console RTS. Expand
  37. Mar 19, 2017
    Everything about this games is top class from the cut scenes to the story and gameplay.
    Only thing I hate is paying for a game and then having micro transactions included. All they want to do is rip us off. $99 plus in app purchases is too much.

Most I can give it is an 8 but I'm not at all happy with IAP. Typical capitalist greed. No game is ever worth more than $50.
  38. Mar 20, 2017
    Epic Game, juego épico tiene un gran potencial y sabe unir y cruzar la historia de Halo, Un rts maravilloso tanto en pc y consola, mecánicas refinadas y un gran control de manejo, además un sonido exquisito y una gran dirección artística.. Lo malo es que mucha mierda de fansboy de sony que jamás van o tocaran el juego se atreven a puntuarlo sólo porque de Xbox ya lo mal puntúan, ademásEpic Game, juego épico tiene un gran potencial y sabe unir y cruzar la historia de Halo, Un rts maravilloso tanto en pc y consola, mecánicas refinadas y un gran control de manejo, además un sonido exquisito y una gran dirección artística.. Lo malo es que mucha mierda de fansboy de sony que jamás van o tocaran el juego se atreven a puntuarlo sólo porque de Xbox ya lo mal puntúan, además están paginas vendidas a sony le darán mala nota. Expand
  39. May 10, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 isn't without it's fault, but the game has a better story than Halo 5. My biggest complaint with the story is that some interesting characters introduced were not fleshed out as much as they could have been. The positive thing Halo Wars 2 has going for it is not requiring prior knowledge of the story or especially the expanded lore like Halo 5 did. Gameplay is solid and BlurHalo Wars 2 isn't without it's fault, but the game has a better story than Halo 5. My biggest complaint with the story is that some interesting characters introduced were not fleshed out as much as they could have been. The positive thing Halo Wars 2 has going for it is not requiring prior knowledge of the story or especially the expanded lore like Halo 5 did. Gameplay is solid and Blur Studios did a great job with cutscenes despite being fewer in number. Expand
  40. Dec 11, 2017
    RTS games are not my specialty by a long shot. In fact the last real RTS I have played besides X-Com was Command and Conquer Red Alert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Halo Wars 2 was a refreshing break from the RPG like, adventure inspired action games that have bombarded my time this year until now (12-11-17, I know I'm a bit late to this one). I was shocked at howRTS games are not my specialty by a long shot. In fact the last real RTS I have played besides X-Com was Command and Conquer Red Alert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Halo Wars 2 was a refreshing break from the RPG like, adventure inspired action games that have bombarded my time this year until now (12-11-17, I know I'm a bit late to this one). I was shocked at how underwhelming (in a good way) Halo Wars 2 was in terms of the control system not being so intimidating, I never got a chance to play the first one so I went in completely blind, and not knowing what exactly to expect. Even though it's been years since I played Red Alert, I remembered the important bits of base building, Headquarters, Resources, power, barracks, etc. Not a whole lot else I can say about this one. It's really fun to play, especially for the 20 dollar price point I was able to get last weekend. It has it's limitations, it is after all a RTS game on a console. A type of game that doesn't have a shining reputation for console gaming. Although I would never have spent 60 bucks on it, I have enjoyed my time with it for the price I paid. Expand
  41. Feb 17, 2017
    This game seems great so far. As a parent, it is perfectly rated and the ESRB actually did its job right. Halo Wars 2 contains blood graphics and language. However, there isn't much else. I'm not allowing my 13 year old to play it yet but when he is in high school he can have at it. 8/10
  42. Feb 17, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 is a brilliant game that brings back lots of things to the Halo franchise. I'm not only talking about the old characters from Halo Wars, but also about the pre-Halo 4 art style and tone of the series. The story is easily one of the best Halo stories in the last few years. This is a great game with a great story and, what's most important, a really great gameplay.
  43. Feb 17, 2017
    Mediocre is the best description. It doesn't excel at anything, yet it doesn't do anything really poorly either. Decent graphics, decent gameplay (rather easy, but still), and decent story. Is it good? Nope. Is it bad? Nope.
  44. Feb 20, 2017
    A campaign that i enjoyed every step, It's gameplay is better than HW1, easy to learn, the multiplayer is a challenge against skilled people, blitz could be fun to many people as it was to me, i really liked this game, if people like rts you should try this one
  45. Feb 17, 2017
    Nothing more than a 6. Short campaign with little to no memorable moments. If you are a huge halo fan and bought all the other halo games, then sure, get it to complete the collection. Anyone else, nothing special here.
  46. Feb 22, 2017
    All units!
    Love Halo or RTS games, a must buy. Hands down a jump forward in the the Halo universe. Totally builds on the first game while expanding on the universe. Smooth looks and sounds, best cuts scenes hands down.
    Ignore the haters and listen to your heart.
  47. Mar 5, 2017
    Great game and expands nicely from the first. If you enjoyed the original you'll enjoy this. I would have rated this a 7/10 or 8/10 but the game is just too unstable online and has serious lag connection problems. I have been booted out of so many matches due to 'losing sync' with other players or even the game crashing and booting me to dashboard. According to the official forum, this isGreat game and expands nicely from the first. If you enjoyed the original you'll enjoy this. I would have rated this a 7/10 or 8/10 but the game is just too unstable online and has serious lag connection problems. I have been booted out of so many matches due to 'losing sync' with other players or even the game crashing and booting me to dashboard. According to the official forum, this is a common thing and supposedly the lost sync issue is due to players quitting losing matches. It ruins the fun of playing online and if they're not careful it will kill the online community it has. Expand
  48. Mar 2, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 does a lot so well, but even with that being the case it doesn't dazzle as much as I'd like it to. Unlike the first Halo Wars, there are fewer cinematic sequences that push the narrative and build the characters beyond what you'd find during the overhead RTS gameplay style. That doesn't make the campaign a washout, just not as good as I think it could have been. When all isHalo Wars 2 does a lot so well, but even with that being the case it doesn't dazzle as much as I'd like it to. Unlike the first Halo Wars, there are fewer cinematic sequences that push the narrative and build the characters beyond what you'd find during the overhead RTS gameplay style. That doesn't make the campaign a washout, just not as good as I think it could have been. When all is said and done, Microsoft and Creative Assembly leave an obvious nod to a Halo Wars 3 (unless they intend to extend the story via DLC, which is entirely possible). Playing on Normal difficulty, you'll probably manage a 7-10 hour campaign. The variance comes at the player's skill and whether you choose to exercise the optional missions within each primary mission. I enjoyed most of what I played. Halo Wars as a franchise remains one of the most well-tuned RTS experiences on consoles - a great accomplishment given that this game is not played with a keyboard and mouse on the Xbox console. There are some small attempts to broaden the gameplay as well, with more secondary actions - instead of killing you can use Spartans to steal enemy vehicles to give you an upper hand in many situations. However, despite there being enough good to sell the game, there are a few obvious shortcomings. First, the graphics during the cinematic portions are fantastic but the actual gameplay is way less detailed than I expected. For a 2017 launch, this is unacceptable from a Microsoft exclusive and the Xbox One is absolutely capable of handling a bigger graphic workload than what you get here. Second, while there is some evidence of progress over Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2 doesn't do too much to distinguish itself from other RTS games. There is a style to it that is its own but Halo Wars needs to become a must-have, unique title for Microsoft and it's not quite there yet - a shame given Creative Assembly's heritage with Age of Empires. Third, multiplayer is extremely daunting for newbies. The Rumble playlist is absolute insanity and mostly a waste of time. Other playlists offer a more traditional RTS experience, but the real standout is Blitz. Blitz uses strategy card game mechanics to create an on-field army. This is perhaps the one area that Halo Wars 2 actually broke out of the RTS mold. That being said, there are only a few other options for multiplayer and that's it. These negatives do not bring down the game substantially, and while I voiced a few of my issues there are a couple other small annoyances that can be pointed out. Halo Wars 2 doesn't do much to make RTS games more approachable, but it absolutely carries on the spirit of the genre and occasionally plays with the rules a bit to break the tiresome point & click & watch formula. Being able to occasionally do something more thank click "X" to target enemies is an idea that Microsoft needs to go after aggressively. Making this RTS game less static and more fluid, offering a more dynamic gameplay experience, is exactly what will put this game on everyone's map. Expand
  49. Mar 6, 2017
    It's been quite a while since the first Halo Wars came onto the scene and showed that it was possible for the RTS genre to succeed on consoles. After quite a long wait, the series is finally back. This welcomed spin-off to the Halo series may not be the most complex RTS out there, so don't expect it to hold a candle to the big boys of the genre, but it still does a great job of bringingIt's been quite a while since the first Halo Wars came onto the scene and showed that it was possible for the RTS genre to succeed on consoles. After quite a long wait, the series is finally back. This welcomed spin-off to the Halo series may not be the most complex RTS out there, so don't expect it to hold a candle to the big boys of the genre, but it still does a great job of bringing the experience to console gamers. A pretty big achievement in it's own right.

Not much has changed from the precious Halo Wars in terms of gameplay. The campaign offers some inventive new scenarios and the multiplayer has received an expansion in the amount of modes offered, but it's still just more of the same. However, given how long it's been since the first game came out, and the lack of RTS options on consoles, this is a flaw that's pretty easy to overlook. Especially when things are this much fun, even in the face of a few tedious levels. The Halo universe does a great job of making these standard units more exciting by giving taking fan favorite vehicles and units from the main series.

The story isn't much to speak of. It follows the same cast of characters from the first Halo Wars, only many years later in a conflict that takes place after Halo 5. Despite having a cool villain the events here seem inconsequential in the grand scheme of the Halo universe. The game also suffers from a lack of interesting characters, as no one in the crew is as entertaining as the first game's Sgt. Forge. There's also no real conclusion to be found. Things aren't all bad though. Brutes have been reintroduced into the series lore and it does a really great job of expanding the scale of the Halo universe. Plus there are those GORGEOUS and incredibly well-acted cinematic cutscenes. You may not care too much about what's going on in them, but things look so amazing you'll watch anyway.

The game's diverse multiplayer options are sure to extend the life of the game for long after the credits have rolled. Blitz is probably the highlight of the experience. This mode has you fighting to control three points on the map, while selecting units from the group of cards in your hand at the time. The mode ditches base management for on-the-fly quick thinking and the luck of the draw. Yeah, you can sometimes get screwed by a bad hand, but it's hard to shake the feeling of satisfaction of narrowly edging out a victory thanks to getting the card you needed at just the right time. Plus the actual act of building your deck is incredibly well-handled. Getting duplicates just makes your cards more powerful, so the more you play the better you get.

Another standout mode is Rumble. This one gives you unlimited resources which gives you the ability to create massive armies. Things get chaotic and huge in no time, and it can be an absolute blast. With plenty of other modes and variants, including ones that let you skirmish against the AI, there's a lot of life to be had here. Then there are the well-balanced leaders that you pick before each match to master. Each of whom have their own special abilities to use in battle.

The game has some sour spots in the form of technical issues. There are some hang ups and light freezes during cutscenes that occur, some rare glitches, and I did have the game crash on me once or twice. Nothing game-breaking, but irritating nonetheless.

Halo Wars 2 has it's issues and at the end of the day doesn't hold a candle to other RTS games in terms of depth. But it does manage to be a heck of a lot of fun and an excellent way to bring the genre to consoles, aplace where it practically doesn't exist at all. With fun leader powers that can change the tide of battle in an instant and a wide range of Halo-inspired units, the tactical options are still impressive. So yeah, it's not perfect, but I'm glad to see that we finally got a sequel. Here's hoping that we don't have to go so long without hearing from it next time, because that ending definitely made room for a sequel.
  50. Apr 27, 2017
    Overall it's a decent game, not much of an upgrade from the original though. Also I'm getting pretty irritated by the nickle and dimey **** they pull with both the leaders and "cards". That's what took this from a good game, to a meh game. These free to play money grabs in full price games are getting out of hand.
  51. Feb 17, 2017
    Nowhere as good as the original and I'm not even a sonybot. The game lacks so many things that the first one had, such as an amazing soundtrack and sounds so familiar to any Halo games fan e.g warthog engine and turret, grunts screeching while shooting their needlers which in my honest opinion vital for any game with "Halo" in its title. As for the mechanics, they're just okay-ish: make aNowhere as good as the original and I'm not even a sonybot. The game lacks so many things that the first one had, such as an amazing soundtrack and sounds so familiar to any Halo games fan e.g warthog engine and turret, grunts screeching while shooting their needlers which in my honest opinion vital for any game with "Halo" in its title. As for the mechanics, they're just okay-ish: make a large army comprised of a certain unit as quick as possible to win. Expand
  52. Apr 4, 2017
    For a 2017 game its just very bad. Doesnt take the next step to be better thsn star craft 2 which is a lot older. Gameplay was very repetitive and boring
  53. Feb 17, 2017
    Halo wars 2 is the proberbial "baby's first RTS" with hand holding mechanics and infruiating tutorials during the story (even if you said no to the tutotorial) that treat you as though you are too mentally challenged to actually be able to play the game. Now were the involvement of crystal dynamics from the first game gave people the impresion that this was going to be on par if notHalo wars 2 is the proberbial "baby's first RTS" with hand holding mechanics and infruiating tutorials during the story (even if you said no to the tutotorial) that treat you as though you are too mentally challenged to actually be able to play the game. Now were the involvement of crystal dynamics from the first game gave people the impresion that this was going to be on par if not similar to the first halo wars game, make no mistake in understanding that this is a 343 industries game through and though with a plot that never really esculates, filled generic gameplay and plagued with bugs that become quite evident early in the game.

From first installing Halo Wars 2 onto my console i was first hit up with a 6.8gb day one patch, which upon completion and pressing play i was once again hit with another 2.8gb patch taking rougly 3 hours to download completely despite the modest size of the game. Finally upon completion i loaded up the game and started the first mission, greated by a beautiful blur rendered cutscene of the spirit of fire as they awake from cyrostasis and choose to land upon the ark. After this cutscene however we are then introduced to the games visuals which in turn share a cartoonish vibe present spartan strike and assualt, and being a person who's not all too concerned about graphics, the game does end up looking rather cheap with in game unit models looking like they were pulled from a game made 15 years ago.

Gameplay, in particular, the campaign features some of the most easy and exploitable maps/enemies imaginable with the ai controlled enemy spouting out the same enemy units time and time again until the game ends in which case it desides it wants to spawn an f u boss that serves no other purpose then to extend the length of the games reletively short and forgettable missions. The campaign is also furstating to the degree in which it will purposely drag out its own length with scripted events and a lock n certain units that make zerg rushing the only relable strategy. Skirimish and Blitz arent much better either with the only main difference being that the enemy can upgrade its units and that it can't pull some scripted event out of its own butt to stretch the match.

Story on the other hand is better than Halo 5 and i dare say Halo 4 and personally that isnt saying much considering that the plot really has no defining moments and barely esculates at all with Atriox being hyped as the most intimidating villian in Halo history to ending up as a really forgettable character. The significant change in apperance and sound of the spirit of fire crew is also noticable with characters feeling foriegn to what they were in the original and sure there are moments where it seems like there one and the same again but ultimately differences in personality make them all too different.

Ultimately Halo wars 2 isnt amazing or grand and represents the basic nature of RTS and plot telling structure in a paint by numbers game only redeemed by the inclusion of the original game in the ultimate edition.
  54. Apr 20, 2017
    Lets do the good first. Blur Studios gives us good looking visuals in the cinematic stuff... Too bad it's wasted on this lame game...

Now that the good is out of the way... That's right folks. That's all that's good... Lets move on... Mediocre... Music... It's not half bad but also not great like the bungie halo game music. Bad... I did say the visuals were done well in the

Mediocre...

Music... It's not half bad but also not great like the bungie halo game music.

Bad...

I did say the visuals were done well in the cinematic scene department but the koolest parts are wasted. The koolest parts are the spartans kicking butt of course but it's not like that awesome scene in halo wars one. This time it's dark, has quick cuts, and some times abuses zack snyder style slow motion. Remember when this trash didn't plague halo games back in the day?

The campaign is weak. It has glitches and is fairly short. It can be beaten in about 6-8 hours. The story isn't memorable either. That ending was just to set up halo 6 and the main villain sort of just vanishes. Don't worry folks. I'm sure they will just kill him off like he's a generic side villain just like how they killed off Jul in halo 5 lol. On the first level : )

The multiplayer is a step down from halo wars one in just about every way and still suffers for being a console RTS. If you have ever used a mouse and keyboard to play a game like star craft you probably wont want to give this game much of a chance...

Micro transactions are in too so there goes a few points... Micro transactions are NEVER a good thing. DLC can be some times... But never are micro transactions. And yes... There is a difference. Micro transactions are always there for one thing. To turn the game into a slot machine and/or system that pressures the player into wasting real life money on stuff that's TOTALLY not worth it and is not permanent a lot of the time. At least DLC is permanent.

Sure the game will get patched for the better like most games these days... Hopefully... But many of the downsides are not fixable. Most of them actually. This game isn't worth full price. Anyone saying other wise is a fanboy/shill for microsoft/343/the franchise etc etc...

This was a not very wanted sequel to a game that hardly anyone asked for. It should have come out in 2010 or somewhere around there and even then it would still be pretty crappy and unpopular. It's 2017 dude... Late to the party much? This is just halo being bilked still. You're a fool to think other wise.

Wait for it to be about half price folks...
  55. Feb 20, 2017
    Campaign is very dry... It's more or less a 6 hour long tutorial (normal difficulty). Cut scenes are nothing special. I was very disappointed... PVP is okay Blitz mode feels pay to win-ish. I think some balance changes are needed. Overall seems like a low effort repeat of the first Halo Wars
  56. Feb 23, 2017
    Firstly, sad to see Sony fanboys still give fake 0 scores simply because a game is not released on their console.

A very good RTS best of this generation and a must buy.
  57. Feb 18, 2017
    Great story, good controls, great graphics, brilliant online, rts done properly, if you liked the original, or just want to try rts, this is the best on consoles
  58. Feb 21, 2017
    ___Do you value your time? The makers of this game don't!___
    -In multi-player online, if you are wiped from the game you are forced to spectate the remainder of the match. This can be an indefinite amount of time. You cannot resign without penalty, even though your units are all gone and you have absolutely no bearing on the rest of the game.
    -Have an extra 5, 10 or 30 minutes to watch
    ___Do you value your time? The makers of this game don't!___
    -Have an extra 5, 10 or 30 minutes to watch really bad twitch? Then this is the game for you.
  59. Feb 22, 2017
    One of the strongest exclusives of the year, possible GOTY.
    Strong RTS game, great for beginners and experienced fans. Also caters to fans of shooters and rpgs.
    Not many RTS games have been released this gen, this is arguably the best since Pikmin 3 (which unfortunately was not available on Xbox). Outside of Zombie Defense, not many RTS games have made it to console, this game
    One of the strongest exclusives of the year, possible GOTY.

Outside of Zombie Defense, not many RTS games have made it to console,

this game blends the story, shooting and iconic characters from the Halo Universe and mixes them up with the RTS genre and does a great job. Multiple modes add to the replay value and its clear this was made with respect for the source material. Blitz mode is enjoyable, upgrades and multiple difficulty levels like the main Halo series are welcome for replay.

Halo is to Microsoft what Mario is to Nintendo... And games like this prove they can create multiple genre games around a franchise.... Now resurrect the Megablox Halo game please for Xbox One!
  60. Feb 19, 2017
    CA and 343 made an amazing job! The best rts-game so far! Nice visuals, interesting gameplay and great story! Outstanding multiplayer included! One more masterpiece in HALO universe!
    MUST BUY!
    Only jealous sonyboys, can give this game 010
  61. Feb 28, 2017
  62. Feb 23, 2017
    I have played this game for 20 hours now and it just sucks. You just click and watch your screen. I rather watch at my wall which has more going for itself. XBOX IS DEAD. TAKE NOTES FROM SONY plzzz
  63. Feb 21, 2017
    Halo wars 2's attempts to bring RTS gameplay to Console gamers ring hollow as its gameplay's oversimplicity, outside of one mode, make it boring to play

51%
  64. Mar 17, 2017
    Gameplay was ok but a step down from the original. Music was not great. Stort campaign full of glitches and weak story that justs sets up to be continued for halo 6. This franchise is getting milked to oblovion
  65. Feb 22, 2017
    This game is plain bad for the genre. Take Starcraft 2, remove everygood thing that makes starcraft a good game, add card collectionning for DLC and money grabber, and you have Halo wars 2. Also, as a fan of Halo from the beggining, i find the lack of floods, Elite only, and prometheans faction disturbing. Not to mention many units are invented, or a variant that didn't existed in theThis game is plain bad for the genre. Take Starcraft 2, remove everygood thing that makes starcraft a good game, add card collectionning for DLC and money grabber, and you have Halo wars 2. Also, as a fan of Halo from the beggining, i find the lack of floods, Elite only, and prometheans faction disturbing. Not to mention many units are invented, or a variant that didn't existed in the previous games. Again, the genre and of the game, on consoles, have doomed it from the begining, it was the case with the first game, halo wars 1, similar games, like end war. Just don't do RTS on console! Expand
  66. Feb 21, 2017
    I could not get behind this game. The gameplay was extremely dull. Fans of halo should be warned, this is not a typical halo game. The game story was also weak throughout.
  67. Feb 26, 2017
    Es pura basura, aburrido hasta hacerte apagar la consola. Un juego de este estilo en una consola no sirve. Microsoft traenos un exclusivo decente a los xboxers porfavor.
  68. Mar 2, 2017
    where to begin on halo wars 2 I have been waiting for 9 years only to be the most dissapointed i have ever been by a video game sequel
    lets start with the fact that the game is literally less complex than the original, in halo wars every unit has 3 or 2 upgrades, but in halo wars 2 there are just as many units and half dont have any upgrades, some have 1 upgrade and a few are lucky enough to have 2, not to mention the upgrades dont even really change them as much as they do in the first,
    in addition the game took every aspect of the first game that was critized for being overpowered and thought of how they could make these problems even worse. leader powers were a little bit too frusterating in the first game but at least you could use the disruption bomb to take them out of the equation, but for the second they decided not to have a disruption bomb and instead you just have to watch as your armies are destroyed by leader powers over and over again
    i cannot beleieve it took 343 9 years to come out with this sorry excuse for a game, Remastering halo wars 1 would have been much more impressive than this failure
  69. Feb 21, 2017
    Halo Wars 2 is a smartphone game ridiculous, Microsoft were the triplo A are, you guys need spend more money in big japanese games, more rpg and less the same halo, forza and gears.
  70. Feb 23, 2017
    I review games on my personal enjoyment of the game.. and well 3 out of 10 is how much I enjoyed it. nothing special here. not even anything good. ok-ish at best.
  71. Feb 28, 2017
    If you like to create collections and a huge fan of Halo Games, then maybe this could work for you, however if you want to just lay back and have fun this might not be something your interested in.
  72. Feb 28, 2017
  73. Mar 4, 2017
    Super fun game, but the multiplayer disconnect problems are out of control for the Xbox One S (I'm in the Pacific Northwest). The game has been out almost two weeks, and the disconnects are getting worse each day. I'm likely to put the game down for a while until they fix these issues. Each day I'm disconnected more and more, to the point where I can't even finish matches. Sometimes itSuper fun game, but the multiplayer disconnect problems are out of control for the Xbox One S (I'm in the Pacific Northwest). The game has been out almost two weeks, and the disconnects are getting worse each day. I'm likely to put the game down for a while until they fix these issues. Each day I'm disconnected more and more, to the point where I can't even finish matches. Sometimes it freezes at the beginning, sometimes it freezes 1-2 hours into a match.

Most people bought this game for the online blitz and multiplayer modes. Since there is some major server issue (I'm reading it's even worse for PC), this game is unplayable at this point. If I could get a refund, I would. How could such a big game have such major issues like this? It's super disappointing to get a game you've been looking forward to, only to have it freeze and kick you off constantly.
  74. Mar 5, 2017
    Uma das raras sensações que eu tenho comprando jogos da Microsoft é que fui lesado, e esse jogo me passou essa impressão. É lamentável e frustrante ver o quão ruim pode ser um jogo, e esse Halo Wars me faz pensar onde estavam os exigentes executivos da Microsoft enquanto era produzido essa porcaria? O jogo é péssimo e feio, a única coisa nela que é boa são as CGs.
  75. Mar 5, 2017
    This game has a solid core built off the first, but that can only take it so far. The rushed feeling that this experience takes on through the flat interchangeable characters is prevalent throughout the game. Gorgeous cut-scenes only bring out the simple in-game designs that seems to have taken a step down since the original, and aren't utilized well for story telling. Other offerings suchThis game has a solid core built off the first, but that can only take it so far. The rushed feeling that this experience takes on through the flat interchangeable characters is prevalent throughout the game. Gorgeous cut-scenes only bring out the simple in-game designs that seems to have taken a step down since the original, and aren't utilized well for story telling. Other offerings such as Blitz give only temporary glee. There's a good game in here and I'm glad I played it. But this isn't the quality we should be willing to except from the Halo lineage. Expand
  76. Apr 21, 2017
    This game could have been better, it still can be. But Microsoft are just abusing this spin-off franchise for monetary gain. Is the game good? Yeah. It improves on the first, and has diversity (if you take the new free leader out of the equation). The campaign is excellent in terms of story, as well as the visuals and voice acting. The game play is more diverse yet still just asThis game could have been better, it still can be. But Microsoft are just abusing this spin-off franchise for monetary gain. Is the game good? Yeah. It improves on the first, and has diversity (if you take the new free leader out of the equation). The campaign is excellent in terms of story, as well as the visuals and voice acting. The game play is more diverse yet still just as simple. And Blitz mode is a nice addition for burst-fire gameplay.

Sadly, there's microtransaction which, regardless of how you look at it, is unforgivable. You buy packs and hope RNG is good - so it's effectively gambling, though this only affects Blitz it still means it can be a pay-to-win game type due to how the unit leveling affects their overall stats.

And, though I bought the bundle with Halo Wars Definitive Edition and season pass, you're going to need to buy later leaders. Leaders have their own unique powers/abilities and special unit types. As well as pay for the rest of the story. Yes, the single player campaign doesn't end. It doesn't even leave it as a cliff-hanger for another game - it just stops. Evidently left wide open for you to purchase the season pass to buy the rest of the story. Luckily, I don't have to pay for that as I already paid for it up front - but I'm still offended by this practice as it plainly victimizes it's playerbase.

Also, did I state earlier the gameplay was diverse? Well, it has the potential - but due to major balance issues the game plays 1 way, and only 1 leader is viable to use currently. Though it has just been patched the address that, it basically means the community is beta-testing the game so the developers can balance it. Okay, I understand it's importance... but this isn't, and never will be, a tournament worthy game.

And, I'll get to the last issue... the bugs. I have the PC version and it's unplayable. So I stuck to play the XB1 version. Granted, the game plays just as nicely - if not better - on a pad. Especially for a layman who isn't used to mouse and keyboard, nor has the dexterity and knowledge for playing RTS. There's just so many bugs, though again a recent patch has addressed a lot - it's still far from perfect.

I think, ultimately, this game could be a 7/10 - if it's fixed, patched and balanced to high-heaven. As well as new units and leaders eventually. But you're going to need to spend the price of 2 games for this 1 game in order to get the season pass, to have access to the rest of the content. And I can't recommend this game beyond that due to this, and the micro-transactions - even if they only affect 1 game type that I'm not even much of a fan off (due to, again, balance issues that haven't been addressed yet, they've barely scratched the surface).

*EDIT* As of 21/04/2017. The state of the game has somewhat improved, with additional leaders to play with and overall patches. But it's only improved as now more leaders are usable, balance wise, but the game has been shown to be wildly more unbalanced. Now that using other leaders has become an availability, we've been able to see more balance issues that were basically hidden due to Forge's Jack Rabbit rush, and his broken Acc. Assembly and Rolling Economy leader power (that have been nerfed, too much in fact).

There is a new leader out shortly, with some tweeks, patches, and new story missions. I'll update when I've tried and tested. But sadly, this game suffers from certain units being too effective as well as other units just not being effective to the point that they're actually a waste and have 0 place in the game right now. Leader powers still need to be worked on, heavily, and I personally believed that certain units need to be unlocked at higher, or lower, tech levels.

I've changed my opinion of 6/10 to 5/10. This game is... boring. It's as limited in game play as the first one in term of unit selection. The balancing is atrocious, and there's either too little counters to certain units OR they don't counter effectively enough. That's outside of the plainly broken leader powers, and even units. And just balance issues with the leaders in general. This game doesn't feel as improved as it should be, especially when the 8 year old original still holds strong even today. And, though this is the XB1 version I'm critiquing... still can't cross play the P.C. version, it just won't run sufficiently enough and my specs are way beyond necessary.

All of that in mind. I still enjoy the game, but unlike the timeless original that - even if it got repetitive, and even limited - it doesn't have the variety in units, unit types, counters, versatility and usability, etc. meaning you don't just see the same leaders, and different strategies, or different units. You see the same leader, the same strategy, the same units game-in and game-out. And for a game that's suppose to improve on the original, it doesn't play like it - even at higher ranks in ranked games.
  77. Mar 10, 2017
    Average at best RTS game, which is a shame as it has good graphics, units, commander powers etc. but it just seems lazy when compared to command conquer games and BFME 2. The option to defend is barley even there with minimal base turrets etc. and no walls to build. This just encourages rush tactics online which makes for boring pointless games. Unbalanced units also ruin it with mostAverage at best RTS game, which is a shame as it has good graphics, units, commander powers etc. but it just seems lazy when compared to command conquer games and BFME 2. The option to defend is barley even there with minimal base turrets etc. and no walls to build. This just encourages rush tactics online which makes for boring pointless games. Unbalanced units also ruin it with most people online just building armies of sentinels which are overpowered and quicker than most other units you can build. The 1 player is not bad but again is only average. If there were other RTS's to play this wouldn't even be a choice but as an RTS fan this is my only option to play online on Xbox one which is a shame as its just ain't that good when compared to others in the genre Expand
  78. May 2, 2017
    The game definitely had potential, but it fell far short of being a great, or even good, game.

The campaign was woefully short and lacking. The cut scenes were great, but were marred for me by a bug they haven't bothered to fix that's been an issue since release. On both PC and XBOX One there is an issue where the main voice channel is so quiet you can't hear it. I went through the entire campaign not even being able to enjoy the story due to this bug.

The story was also too short. They charge the same price as Starcraft II but deliver far less of a campaign. The multiplayer also isn't really up to what you would expect for a AAA priced title. It feels extremely small in scale and limited by low unit caps. There are no truly epic battles to be had, and the AI is just plain bad.

This isn't a $60 game. This is barely a $30 game. It feels like an indie title, and should be priced accordingly. Lack of bug fixes and lack of content.
  79. Jun 4, 2017
    pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodre não foi oque eu pensei, os olhos enganão ...........................................................
  80. Oct 30, 2018
    Halo wars 2 now has FORCED crossplay with pc which makes the game unfair and worthless for xbox players.
    It's ridiculous that we pay for xbox live and don't have the option to turn of crossplay if we want to.
    Pc players can micromanage, navigate the map much faster etc. and have higher framerates.
    It was a fun competitive game but now it's a complete waste of time.
  81. Oct 19, 2017
    A very solid game all around. At first sight it's a vanilla RPG optimised for console with fantastic cinematics. As you get into it you see suprising depth in both the replayability of the campaign, the lore entries (well explained and good additions to Halo's lore, without requiring serious prior knowledge), and the multiplayer. Even though a big part of the mutliplayer is the classicA very solid game all around. At first sight it's a vanilla RPG optimised for console with fantastic cinematics. As you get into it you see suprising depth in both the replayability of the campaign, the lore entries (well explained and good additions to Halo's lore, without requiring serious prior knowledge), and the multiplayer. Even though a big part of the mutliplayer is the classic base-building (a gem in the console but nothing original for the PC), I'm most drawn by the two other modes:
    strongholds (infinite resources, collaborative capturing of points with escalation mechanics. A total mayhem of quick thinking and impressive back-and-forths)
    and blitz (smaller scale without base and with a deck of 12 units. It's a blast to play, with various possible strategies and both escalation and come-back mechanisms. And now that there are 'open' modes where card leveling does not play a role (thus grinding or paying is not required any more), I can recommend it as my favourite ever RtS/RTT multiplayer mode.
    I've played almost 70 hours of multiplayer and during some periods there are some instabilities - other periods are perfect. The matchmaking remains quick and it even works well while streaming with beam.
    I was always a person preferring base-less RTSes and halo wars 2 has a great variety of modes and missions both with and without base. The end result? It's the RTS I've played the most since... my first one (Shadow of the Horned Rat).
  82. Jul 27, 2017
    Por mais que eu seja super fã de halo dês de criança não posso recomendar este jogo, pois confesso que só joguei a demo, mas foi a demo mais bugada que já joguei na vida, fora que a windows store é terrível, muitas vezes o jogo da problema, por conta disso nem vou comprar mais!
  83. Oct 3, 2017
    Me sorprende las notas negativas de los hater por un juego de estrategia que en su vida han tocado, halo war 2 nos introduce en una historia abismal que nos da indicios de lo que podria llegar en halo 6, a mi me encanta los juegos de estrategia y este es uno de ellos. Yo lo tengo en one y pc (Anywhere) en donde este juegos nos da la dicha de que juegos que estaban persados supuestamenteMe sorprende las notas negativas de los hater por un juego de estrategia que en su vida han tocado, halo war 2 nos introduce en una historia abismal que nos da indicios de lo que podria llegar en halo 6, a mi me encanta los juegos de estrategia y este es uno de ellos. Yo lo tengo en one y pc (Anywhere) en donde este juegos nos da la dicha de que juegos que estaban persados supuestamente solo para pc pueden llegar a consolas, y en donde en el mando de xbox es una delicia.
    Yo jugué toda la saga age of empire- Walcraft(baba)-starcfatf -company of heroes Y halo 2 esta a nivel de estrategia, jugabilidad y historia, ahora que me realice cuenta en metacritic todos los juegos que he puesto son un juego maravilloso, no lo dejen de lado estos juegos por ser de play 4 y bajas las notas de los juegos, no sean de mente cerradas en los juegos, disfruten los videojuegos.
  84. Jan 10, 2018
    From 343i and Creative Assembly, the talented team behind Alien: Isolation and Total War comes the hotly anticipated Halo Wars 2. This game is definitely good, and will be enjoyed by fans of the original 2009 game, and probably Total War fans too. But it is definitely lacking in the story department. The original game had a much better plot, and it ascends what he get here, which isFrom 343i and Creative Assembly, the talented team behind Alien: Isolation and Total War comes the hotly anticipated Halo Wars 2. This game is definitely good, and will be enjoyed by fans of the original 2009 game, and probably Total War fans too. But it is definitely lacking in the story department. The original game had a much better plot, and it ascends what he get here, which is average, serviceable garbage. The game-play itself has dipped a bit compared to HW1. Overall, Halo Wars 2 is a good game, but the original Halo Wars is much better. Expand
  85. Jan 30, 2018
    Fun game. The story is much better then halo 5's and the standard multiplayer is very enjoyable. There have been some issues with blitz packs and them being pay to win, and with the game play of the standard campaign. But overall this is a fun game with dlc that's worth the money fro the most part.
  86. Apr 14, 2018
    This Review is being written with less than 30 hours of gameplay, which I try and give every game a try with >45 hours of my time before reviewing but this game was difficult to play. Not due to its difficulty but more due to the blandness of the game.

Gameplay wise its a Real time Strategy game where you control various strong holds that create units and ultimately act as bases. With RTS type games there are various things you can do with your units such as attack, scout, protect and patrol certain areas you don't want the enemy to cross. Which is fun, until the 100th time. Its painful to say how repetitive this game can be as you do a lot of the same things over and over again from one game to the next.

The Campaign is more of a huge tutorial for the game. With having beaten it in about 9 hours with absolutely no urge to want to go through it again. The opening cinematic is amazing and feels almost like a movie with its stunning voice acting and CG animations, but the rest of the game has little to nothing more to offer. Overall just a huge disappointment. Many of the missions also fallow a similar formula as you capture one base to another to finally just gang bang the final base. Its dull and repetitive and just feels uninspired.

The multiplayer isn't much better either as its almost impossible to find an active lobby in the game mode you most likely want to play. This game hasn't been out for more than a year and its player base has already dwindled to almost nothing. For those who do find themselves getting into a lobby will be amazed to find that anyone currently playing is way overpowered through this card rarity based **** Its completely unbalanced and unfriendly to new players.

Overall its just a huge waste of time and effort trying to get good at a game no ones playing, but Noxi how does It get a 5? well that's simply by playing with bots. The only fun I had while playing this game was through the bots in the local multiplayer lobby. You can have tons amount of fun playing with the bots in various maps from small to large. The game also lets you team with other bots in a 2v2 or even 3v3 modes. Sadly this all becomes dull and repetitive as the AI of the game doesn't do much to surprise you and sometimes will just straight out destroy you in the harder difficulties.

I wont even get started on the **** that is Micro-transactions and this games stupid pay to win mechanics. Just skip this game or get it at a deep sale for the main story that can be interesting depending on the skulls you have on or for playing with bots.
  87. Apr 16, 2018
    Best game on Xbox one at the minute. Microsoft need to have more strategy games on console. Fantastic
  88. Apr 16, 2018
    It adds to the original without breaking away from its roots to much xbox 4k grafic
  89. Apr 16, 2018
  90. Apr 16, 2018
    Totally builds on the first game while expanding on the universe xbox one x
  91. Apr 16, 2018
  92. Apr 16, 2018
    In typical fashion, the multiplayer in this Halo game is also very very good.
  93. Jul 1, 2018
    Ainda é um jogo sem profundidade no gênero, mas melhorou bastante em relação ao antecessor, agora parece muito mais fácil de jogar, e menos frustante, só faltou uma boa história que fizesse um grande prólogo para futuros Halos.
  94. Jul 17, 2018
    an all around good sequel to the first game i did not really see many issues with the game online play is good and the story is good it is an ok game
  95. Aug 8, 2018
    yet to come -----------------------------------------------------------------
  96. Sep 8, 2018
    One major life development is, I recently purchased an XBox One. There are a few Xbox exclusives that I want to play or have wanted to play and one of them is the Halo Wars series. I enjoy Real Time Strategy games and when I heard that this game was specifically designed for using a controller. I decided that this would be the first game that I play through on my Xbox.

The core gameplay

The core gameplay is fun and the button mapping is perfect. I have no complaints about the controls or really the gameplay at all. To simplify what you do is, you are placed on a map and you have to then build up your base. You have to decide between building barracks that help you recruit more infantry units, garage which you can then recruit vehicle units, an airport which you recruit an air force. With building these there is some strategy involved deciding how you want to build your base and your army.

This is definitely a game that is meant to streamline and simplify Real Time Strategy games. It’s both a positive and a negative when it comes to this game. It’s good because it’s bringing in new players to the niche genre but its also kind of boring because there isn’t quite enough to do. I would recommend that more experience RTS players play on a much harder difficulty.

The one thing that blew me away with this game was the graphics, especially in the cutscenes. There was a moment early, I couldn’t tell if it was an FMV (full motion video) or if it was actual game design. I was shocked when they finally showed characters face and then I knew it was pre-rendered.

The biggest downside to this game is the story itself. The only way I can describe this game’s story is that it feels like its the middle movie of a trilogy. At the end of the day, nothing happens. I don’t want to go into too much more detail but its a little disappointing that in a narrative sense, nothing changes or happens.

All together it’s a solid game and I picked it up for $20 off amazon. It certainly was worth that money but it was a little disappointing because I didn’t try any of the online things because I don’t have Xbox Live. So there is a lot there that I did not experience.
  97. Sep 28, 2018
    Acredito que Halo Wars 2 é um bom jogo para fãs do gênero RTS já que até mesmo eu que não sou fã desse gênero consegui me divertir um pouco com o jogo mas acho que o jogo não combina muito com os consoles já que jogar no controle não é tão bom quanto jogar em um teclado mas para você que gosta de Halo recomendo que jogue Halo Wars 2 já que ele tem uma história que não é espetacular mais éAcredito que Halo Wars 2 é um bom jogo para fãs do gênero RTS já que até mesmo eu que não sou fã desse gênero consegui me divertir um pouco com o jogo mas acho que o jogo não combina muito com os consoles já que jogar no controle não é tão bom quanto jogar em um teclado mas para você que gosta de Halo recomendo que jogue Halo Wars 2 já que ele tem uma história que não é espetacular mais é interessante e deve agradar todos os fãs da saga até mesmo aqueles que não gostam de RTS como eu.
    Nota: 7/10
    Motivo da nota: O Jogo é bom, tem bons gráficos para um RTS e é um bom Halo no geral mas por não ser um fã de RTS acabei por não gostar tanto do jogo assim mas merece sim uma nota 7/10 até mesmo de alguém que não gosta do gênero.
  98. Oct 3, 2018
    Um ótimo jogo de estratégia e uma ótima história para a série Halo. Super divertido.
  99. Oct 25, 2018
    The game is good, only for the people how wants to play game strategies and for some reason, play some good leaders and awesome units, I think it is worth to play
  100. Oct 29, 2018
    Coming from a person who held the highest achievable rank on halo wars 1 and absolutely loved that game and I still play it occasionally, I must say my opinion is a little biased. However biased for a good reason. The first halo wars made by bungie was a good game. The second game is a terribly balanced money hungry shell of the first game. To understand why halo wars 2 deserves 3/10 atComing from a person who held the highest achievable rank on halo wars 1 and absolutely loved that game and I still play it occasionally, I must say my opinion is a little biased. However biased for a good reason. The first halo wars made by bungie was a good game. The second game is a terribly balanced money hungry shell of the first game. To understand why halo wars 2 deserves 3/10 at best, you have to understand what made the first halo wars such a good game. It was the best RTS game on console because it was slightly less complicated than games like command and conquer and that made a faster more action packed game. Mostly, halo wars was such a good game because it was very very well balanced. Obviously there were stronger and weaker units unlocked on a tiered system but all units had a purpose and because the gap in strength of most units was not horrible as long as you weren't fighting a counter unit, armys pretty much leveled out and it left a lot of possibilities of what strategies to use and how you could use different kinds of units and armies to succeed in various ways. Additionally, it meant that like most games, players are more likely to succeed based on skill or strategy. I bought halo wars 2 for sixty bucks when it came out, hated it immediately, haven't touched it for over seven months. Decided maybe I was unfair in my original assessment so the last few weeks, I gave it a second chance, and after a couple weeks, I must conclude I was wrong initially. Its not just boring, its just a plain bad game. Even after things have supposedly been balanced, there are not just a few units but many units that basically aren't worth investing in at any point. Counter units that were key in the first halo wars to keeping a strategic balance between infantry, air and vehicles are always either way over powered or not even useful as a counter unit. The worst part of this whole thing is that there are certain units and leader abilities that are far superior to others making certain leaders who have weak abilities and weak units not even worth playing as. This was never a problem in the original halo wars. Every leader had slightly different advantages and UNSC units were slightly stronger that covenant units but the covenant could have a slightly larger army to make up for that. UNSC all had pretty similar leadership abilities and spartans. Covenant in response had much more powerful leaders on the field from the start of the game. There was a unique balance of power that made that game far more interesting. Halo wars 2 is not like this at all. Like I said before certain civilizations so to speak are really weak and others are over powered. Coincidentally, all the most powerful leadership abilities and units that just plain trash the rest of the competition including supposed counter units, belong to leaders that were released in later DLC's. That's right, you have to pay if you want to win. I'm not paying a cent more to be able to be on fair terms with all the rest of the players who paid. I think I am with most gamers when I say, if I pay full price for a competitive multiplayer game, I deserve to have a fair chance in multiplayer like everyone else. If you want to sell DLC, that doesn't bother me, just don't make them so strong that the rest of the original games leaders are basically pointless. There are thirteen leaders, and seven of them are free; almost half the leaders in the game have to be purchased after you just bought the game. 343 industries should be ashamed for practicing such terrible business and for basically charging players more money in order to have a significant advantage in multiplayer match making. I wont say there is nothing good about this game, it deserves some credit but the bad outweighs the good tremendously here. If you're thinking about buying, skip this one and play the original halo wars if you can. It is a far better game and there are still plenty of players on there. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 79 Critic Reviews

1. Games Master UK
    May 19, 2017
    Nothing revolutionary, but worthy of any strategy fan's attention, and a must for Halo devotees. [Apr 2017, p.72]
  2. Edge Magazine
    Apr 16, 2017
    Sacrificing a degree of nuance at the altar of spectacle is a trade-off most Halo fans will be happy to make. Yet, at times it feels like you're just smashing toys together and watching the carnage unfold. But what wonderful toys they are. [May 2017, p.114]
  3. Apr 14, 2017
    At its heart, HW2 is a console RTS that does what it needs to fit the broader appeal of the modern console generation. On PC its approach to game design will keep it off most GOTY lists, but on Xbox One its seamless gamepad control scheme and hefty selection modes make it a must for Halo devotees. Look past the shortcuts and you’ll find the best effort yet to light the real-time strategy fire on console.