6.1

1. Jan 27, 2016
    Piece of garbage. Want you to buy ingame currency on a 60 dollar game or else your my player is absolute trash. Dont waste your time on this cash grab piece of rubbish.
  2. Sep 26, 2015
    2K Sports is pretty much ripping it's customer off again, but this year it's worse than ever...

My review is pretty much just about the MyCareer mode. While this years story mode is pretty much nice, it has a lot of flaws and feels cheesy. There was so much potential in it, but Spike Lee dropped the ball on it with implementing WAY too much drama in it. Every cutscene is pretty much the same: characters fighting and then getting friends again... Then the whole story is over after your first season. Then that's it with cutscenes. You'll never see those characters again, at least I didn't.

But that's not my problem with the game. It's that 2K forces you to buy VC if you want to be successful in MyCareer mode. Not just succesful, you even need a lot of VC to even have fun in this game mode.

While being the superstar in HS and college, with feeling like you're playing MJ, you quickly realize in your very first NBA game, that you'r just a 55 overall (65 if you've spent your 10,000 preorder VC) that had it's stats boosted in the HS/College games.

So I'm a SG inside scorer and couldn't hit ANY shot that wasn't right in front of the basket. But then I hardly can get near the basket at all because I'm way too slow to get ANY opposing player. I drop the ball at the slightest contact and bounce off every guy like I'm made of rubber. And then my agent is telling me I'm the guy that shoulders this team and is the upcoming superstar? Doesn't feel like that at all. Well at least as I'm not spending another 20 bucks on VC so my player gets to proper NBA rookie ratings to start enjoying the game.

This is not how you design a major game mode 2K. I know it shouldn't be easy and I do want a challenge, but this is a punch in the face of every paying customer. As it's just that hard to rip off some extra bucks to enjoy a game that we've already paid 60 bucks for.

So don't buy if you wanted to play the MyCareer mode.
  3. Sep 26, 2015
    Why oh why did 2k think it was a good idea to have Spike Lee of all people direct the mycareer mode? The guys got far too big of an ego and is a hack. The story has bad acting and is stupidly predictable.

ALL the choice is gone from the mode. You want to make yourself in the game? Too bad your a black dude from the hood! You made a white character? Too bad you have a black family and a black BIOLOGICAL twin!

There's now 15 minute cut scenes about your team owners best friend and despite the entire cast being obnoxiously douchey and your main character making stupid decisions the whole time you have zero input in any of it. If I wanted to watch a bad movie I would have just rented a spike lee dvd! Luckily in your second season it goes more normal but you still get interviews about the story and still have a stupid nickname and your character has stupid reactions on court. I want to run back on defence after a dunk not sit there pretending I'm a DJ while the other team runs a fast break.

You also only get to play 8 games in your rookie year and can't check the standings, stats or anything you would expect to check in a game about playing basketball.

They've also removed some of the old control schemes so we are now forced to use the new one that feels like garbage, the game often locks up on a player standing on the court and randomly pointing for a few minutes and there's more unskippable broadcast stuff that bogs the games down too.

The other modes might be better but I usually only play the mycareer mode, why couldn't they have had the spike lee mode separate from the regular mycareer? How did 2k think this was a good idea?
  4. Sep 25, 2015
    MY CAREER IS DISAPPOINTING

Pros - I like that they tried to do a story. -I like the addition of going through high school and college Cons -I like the idea of the story, but I don't like how restricted it is. Basically you have to be from harlem, you have to be poor, and you have to be black. Would be nice if there was more excitability to this. However, out of my cons, this one
    MY CAREER IS DISAPPOINTING

Pros
    - I like that they tried to do a story.
    -I like the addition of going through high school and college

Cons
    -I like the idea of the story, but I don't like how restricted it is. Basically you have to be from harlem, you have to be poor, and you have to be black. Would be nice if there was more excitability to this. However, out of my cons, this one is the least of my concern.
    -Whats up with the horrible nick name?. "Frequency Vibration", WTF? Why can't 2k just give you a few generic names to choose from? At least that way to commentary could use that instead of calling you Freq all the time. This nickname stuff was also an issue in 2k15. I have heard that you can change it after the rookie season.. So that kind of makes it a little better if true.. But it still ruins the immersion.
    -No stats available in the menus. No calendar, no standings, no player stats.. I hope this is also an issue with it not being available until after rookie season. Otherwise that will be the biggest disappointment.
  5. Sep 30, 2015
    What a horrible game.

1. All of the stupid annoying bugs from 15 are there. Have fun stealing the ball only to watch it slingshot out of the court and notice a "turnover" in the top corner because you stole the ball and physics stopped. 2. The menus are designed by school children on drugs 3. The career mode is the slowest most boring piece of junk in gaming history. I normally
    What a horrible game.

2. The menus are designed by school children on drugs
    3. The career mode is the slowest most boring piece of junk in gaming history. I normally dislike stories in games but this took it to a whole new level, thankfully I was able to skip every one of the 2999882 boring cutscenes
    4. There's like 4 different sets of settings for the same things, some seemingly change to default at random times just to annoy you.
    5. I swear the graphics are actually worse than last year. Everyone has pitch black eyes and the ball is constantly going THROUGH players... what.
    6. VC micro transaction junk is back again. YAY?! The feature everyone really looks forward to each year.
    7. The High School and college section goes for all of 7 games. I figured you'd use these 7 to build your skills or something... but they literally do nothing. May as well not be there?
    8. Everything feels like you're back in 2000 waiting to load a webpage on dial-up. Long loading times, long mid-game things which take 2 mins of button mashing to skip, long loading times again... more long loading times.

Quite genuinely the worst game I've bought in the past 6 years or so. I specifically made this account just to give it a 0 as I hate it so much.
  6. Sep 29, 2015
    This review is based on just the Livin' Da Life story mode in My Career. What could have been an interesting take on a typical format has turned in to a cliché-riddled potboiler. Take everything you might see in a Lifetime channel movie-of-the-week and break it up in to five to fifteen(?!?) minute portions throughout a handful of abbreviated high school, college, and NBA rookie seasonThis review is based on just the Livin' Da Life story mode in My Career. What could have been an interesting take on a typical format has turned in to a cliché-riddled potboiler. Take everything you might see in a Lifetime channel movie-of-the-week and break it up in to five to fifteen(?!?) minute portions throughout a handful of abbreviated high school, college, and NBA rookie season games. Since the character created by you is forced awkwardly in to the storyline, several of the scenarios stretch the limits of believability, and the dialogue is melodramatic to a fault. Spike Lee should stick to what he knows (which is well past its prime now), and leave anything and everything video game-related to others who know how it's done. Expand
  7. Oct 20, 2015
    The game looks amazing. When people in my house walk in and see me playing it the frequently think I'm just watching a game on tv.
    Story mode seems kinda hokey. Nice idea but would be a lot more enjoyable if the player was able to have more of a say in how the story progressed. Even some simple dialogue options.
    As for the gameplay this is clearly complex game. I've been a basketball fan
    As for the gameplay this is clearly complex game. I've been a basketball fan and player for years. I've also been playing computer games for years on pc and more recently on console. As soon as I get past the high school games I'm getting my butt kicked. Why? Because there is very little in the game that teachers you how to play it. A few very brief videos that probably left me feeling more confused and bewildered by the range of moves without actually helping me to execute any of them. I've been looking through the controller options to figure out basic things like what button will steal the ball etc.
    You can practice shooting by yourself but get in an actual game and things are completely different. You can play practice matches but without the proper skills the opposing team walks all over you which really isn't great practice.
    What the game really needs is a decent tutorial system that can run you through basic drills. A dribbling tutorial (instead of a short video) where you can actually practice dribbling outside the pressure of a game. Drills where you can practice defending, blocking shots. Driving through defenders. You play a game and you'll see the other players doing that and wonder how it's done. The game simply doesn't teach you. Players of previous 2k games seem happy enough with the gameplay but for anyone new to the franchise, there is not enough help. I'm about ready to give up in frustration.
    Nice looking game but I'm regretting buying it.
  8. Nov 27, 2015
    the game was okay till the new patch that ruined everything but whats worse is the people you talk to over the support. they dont really care about you
  9. Apr 19, 2016
    For the record, I love the NBA and I have always loved the NBA 2K series. But...

Now, the 2K series has only gotten better. Across the years, the graphics have improved, the physics, nearly everything. Despite the downfall of having to come up with a game every year, NBA 2K16 shines with, well, the better graphics and physics. 2K always seems to add something new It also adds in the

It also adds in the ability to create logos, customize arenas and jerseys, and more (thank you). It would nearly be the whole NBA experience anyone could want… Except a man named Spike Lee ruined it.

MyCareer now is a story you’re basically forced to make. Though it is AWESOME to play college, the rest falls flat to previous years. You have a preset family and your name is “Frequency Vibration”, shortened to “Freq”. That is literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. The terrible mess that is known as MyCareer is the reason this game suffers.

"Frequency Vibrations"? Are you kidding me?
  10. Jun 3, 2016
    Bad game overall, laggy, glitchy, and my career is **** horrible no freedom to choose you are so **** limited. I just spent the last 3 hours getting to the nba i will never touch this game again. Gameplay is bad and graphics arent all that great eithier.
  11. Sep 29, 2015
    This game doesn't deliver for me. It feels exactly like 15, and they even made the controls worse. There are tons of glitches that we don't even know will be patched including Demigod glitches. MyCareer just seemed like a low-rate movie to me. You don't make a lot of decisions, it's just a bunch of stupid cut-scenes to make it look like a new experience. The story is literally set to theThis game doesn't deliver for me. It feels exactly like 15, and they even made the controls worse. There are tons of glitches that we don't even know will be patched including Demigod glitches. MyCareer just seemed like a low-rate movie to me. You don't make a lot of decisions, it's just a bunch of stupid cut-scenes to make it look like a new experience. The story is literally set to the life of a black player. You have a black biological twin sister with BOTH BLACK PARENTS, meaning if you use a white player, (you'll have a black twin sister). You grow up in the projects, which is common for certain African Americans. You can add your voice to the game, but it just sounds awkward to me. It just seems like 2K is led to believe that they don't have any white fans. The face-scans are completely horrible. It's obvious that Chris Smoove lied about his face-scan saying that it was good. You could OBVIOUSLY see that it looked nothing like him. Live has better face-scans and you do it from your phone! The High School and College stuff only lasts for 4 games, so I don't even call that an addition. The only reason why I'm giving this a 2 is because even though it is a refurbished game, it is still a solid simulation basketball game, but it just gets boring after while. And I've experienced my fair share of glitches, and I think it's time that I take this back to the store. Expand
  12. Oct 17, 2015
    First off I'd like the say the gameplay has improved with the animations and tuning, however this years focus on MyCareer written by Spike Lee during only the rookie season is horrendous. You play acouple high school games, a few college, and then only 8 games your rookie season! You can not win rookie of the year or win the championship. It's not part of the story. Another thing toFirst off I'd like the say the gameplay has improved with the animations and tuning, however this years focus on MyCareer written by Spike Lee during only the rookie season is horrendous. You play acouple high school games, a few college, and then only 8 games your rookie season! You can not win rookie of the year or win the championship. It's not part of the story. Another thing to mention is the story is not interactive at all. You make zero decisions! MyTeam mode continues to improve with additions of special moments cards, dynamic ratings, team customization, and Euroleague items. Warning the best mode online association has still not returned. This is another bad decision by 2k sports. All you get is a league with no offseason, and reason to play really. The upgraded Pro-Am my player team play is hindered with connection issues. It's obvious 2k did not listen to the fans in terms of direction of this game. Major disappointment. Expand
  13. Jun 16, 2016
    I can't play with my name Diogo? WTF? Ridicolous. The game is a lot worst than 2k15 and 2k14.........................................................................
  14. Sep 26, 2015
    The Xbox One does not deliver in terms of the aspects in which NBA 2K16 excels on other consoles in that it includes a worse community that should definitely find a better console. Overall, the game is pretty good but the community could be better. Thus, this game deserves a 0.
  15. Oct 31, 2015
    Wow. Instead it's not perferct... lots of bugs... and some little things missing... it's like as developpers are part time employees... This could be a masterpiece... but fall short.... Good improvement from last year... They listen to the fans on the blogs... But i can't understand some name on the roster... it's like they are there for a simple reason : boost the roster over the hundredWow. Instead it's not perferct... lots of bugs... and some little things missing... it's like as developpers are part time employees... This could be a masterpiece... but fall short.... Good improvement from last year... They listen to the fans on the blogs... But i can't understand some name on the roster... it's like they are there for a simple reason : boost the roster over the hundred mark... Fit finley, Col Mustafa...??? Expand
  16. Nov 28, 2015
    This is the worst mycareer ive ever played, spike lee ruined it by taking away any and all choices other than what highschool and college you go to, after that every cut scene, every conversation is just a movie, you have no choice in what your chacter says, in the last game you could pick what to say to people, not this game, spike lee decided a downgrade would be better, you just sitThis is the worst mycareer ive ever played, spike lee ruined it by taking away any and all choices other than what highschool and college you go to, after that every cut scene, every conversation is just a movie, you have no choice in what your chacter says, in the last game you could pick what to say to people, not this game, spike lee decided a downgrade would be better, you just sit back and watch him have corny conversations with no option to make your own choices, this just shows how out of touch spike lee is with the nba 2k fanbase, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR LAME STORY SPIKE, WE WANT TO MAKE OUR OWN Expand
  17. Dec 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MyPlayer mode was terrible. I'm a white guy with an all black family? Overall, the game looks beautiful and 2K improved the gameplay. I would rate it higher but all I play in these games is MyPlayer mode. Expand
  18. Dec 20, 2015
    MyTeam is completely broken, and almost entirely based around forcing micro transactions for poorly designed players. The MyCareer "movie" is terrible and takes an insane amount of time to make it through. Lots of connectivity issues. The patch broke the ability to play multiplayer on the same team
  19. Jan 13, 2016
    The newest basketball game from 2K came with many flaws and very few improvements, but these improvements were not enough to counter the flaws. The game presents it's new story made by Spike Lee especially for this game. In the end, the story isn't anything more than monotone and melodramatic, with repetitive cutscenes. When beggining the myCareer mode, you'll find yourself thrown into aThe newest basketball game from 2K came with many flaws and very few improvements, but these improvements were not enough to counter the flaws. The game presents it's new story made by Spike Lee especially for this game. In the end, the story isn't anything more than monotone and melodramatic, with repetitive cutscenes. When beggining the myCareer mode, you'll find yourself thrown into a non-skippable cutscene, and will then proceed through to repetitive High School basketball games that actually make no difference in the development of your character. After that, you get to pick the college you want to go to. Except it also makes no difference whatsoever. After getting drafted, you'll find yourself playing boring games where you'll do poorly since your attributes are horrible, and you don't get to interact with any characters ever again.

One minor flaw that persists throughout the NBA 2K series is the fact that, when releasing your shot, it makes no difference wheather it's a near perfect release, or a barely good release: The chances of you making that shot are the same. 2K did this to balance out the game between casuals and pros, so that a casual can make a shot even if the release is bad, and a pro can miss even if the release is nearly perfect. Speaking of perfect releases, they aren't even a guarantee that the ball will go in: You can miss even if you nail the release. To sum it up, upgrading your myPlayer's' shooting attribute is useless.

Even with these flaws, other gamemodes such as myGM, and myTeam are actually quite interesting, with myGM being one of the most complex managerial game modes you can play in any game, if you're into that.

Graphically speaking the game is alright, although there are many visual glitches. To sum it up, I wouldn't say the game is worth your money. Buy it only if you find it in some heavy sale.
  20. Jan 31, 2016
    2K looks amazing. I wanted to get what's good about this game out of the way.

The most CHEESY and TYPICAL game I have ever played. Whoever dishes out rating to players also has down syndrome and rates players according to their ESPN popularity. Im also waiting for 2K to take this moronic shot meter off of the game. Unless you play on rookie, getting a perfect release is IMPOSSIBLE.
    2K looks amazing. I wanted to get what's good about this game out of the way.

Can't wait to play the next piece of trash 2K releases. Give me 2K9 with better graphics, back when this franchise was worth a ****

Generally favorable reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 15, 2015
    NBA 2K16 is masterful at providing a re-creation of what we expect to see from a TV broadcast. [Issue#167, p.84]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 9, 2015
    Incremental changes in all the right places on the court, coupled with a comprehensive dynasty mode, make this the sports game to beat for the foreseeable future. [Dec 2015, p.82]
  3. Oct 27, 2015
    It's amazing. A basket game so full of content and quality that its almost unbelievable for a fan of the real sports. It's only fault is the online, that remains unstable year after year, with irritating lag spikes. Oh yeah, the Spike Lee directed stroyline isn't that amazing either, but hey, perfection does not exist after all.