6.1

1. Sep 25, 2015
    NBA 2K16 is a fantastic game, in fact I'd go as far as to say that is it the best basketball simulation on the market today. The graphics, the gameplay, the soundtrack, the online game modes all shine in my opinion on this years edition of the franchise we've all come to know and love, however the game is not without its flaw, the largest being MyCareer. Going into 2K16 I was very excitedNBA 2K16 is a fantastic game, in fact I'd go as far as to say that is it the best basketball simulation on the market today. The graphics, the gameplay, the soundtrack, the online game modes all shine in my opinion on this years edition of the franchise we've all come to know and love, however the game is not without its flaw, the largest being MyCareer. Going into 2K16 I was very excited with the idea of the Spike Lee Joints, having not played MyCareer in 2K15 instead favoring focusing on my player from 2K14. With all the hype around the new and improved story and the concept of being able to play College and High School basketball for the first time, there was no doubt in my mind that this was going to be the most realistic basketball experience for everyone who plays the game, emphasis on everyone. Starting fresh for the first time since 2K14 I spent around a half hour trying to create a reasonable portrayal of myself in game, which I've got to say was very much improved since 2K14, 2K did a very good job nailing down player creation and how in depth you can really go in order to create a replica of yourself in game, however this creation plays little into the Spike Lee Joint story "Livin Da Dream". A lot of the customization has been streamlined in order to create an experience that fits the storyline of "Livin Da Dream" rather than truly making "Livin Da Dream" a story of your own, which is understandable given the circumstances surrounding the story, however disappointing nonetheless. For starters, you are no longer able to pick a nickname for yourself, for story purposes your nickname both on and off the court has been designated as "Freq" short for "Frequency Vibrations" as your mother often refers to you as, not exactly the nickname I think a lot of fans had in mind but I think we can let it slide. The major gripes I have against MyCareer is the actual story itself and its ability, or lack thereof to make the story compelling and involving my player. The basis to the story revolves around "Freq" growing up alongside his hard working parents, twin sister and longtime friend Vic in the Harlem area, no major plot twists there coming from the man who is notorious for making films about basketball in the Harlem area. The immersion and interaction with my African American family is really what made me end up skipping the majority of the cutscenes. In no way shape or form was that comment meant to come across as racist, however the immersion is lost and just awkward when creating a player who doesn't fit this pre-determined role for myCareer, which is supposed to be a reflection of an individual's person. It may seem I'm getting rather in depth with the story aspect alone, however it was one of the major selling points of the game and should be discussed as such. The high school games are rather lack-luster lasting a whole 3 games lasting 8 minute against unchallenging opponents before declaring your college of choice between 10 colleges. The college aspect of the story was by far the most enjoyable aspect of MyCareer despite it short length of 4 games. Healthy amounts of playing time and the idea of playing for the college of my choice, one of the few choices you get to really make throughout the whopping 15 game story mode was a really refreshing change to the franchise that I hope returns in full force in the coming years. Your first season in the NBA can be summed up as disappointing, playing in only 8+ games including the playoffs, often receiving very little playing time. After being drafted by the Utah Jazz as the third string point guard behind 2 other point guards drafted within the last 3 years, I played very little throughout my 8 games and had very little of an effect on the season and the end of the "story" which concludes at the end of your first season before resuming the typical 2K myCareer formula during your 2nd season, which is a much welcomed sight in my eyes. Ultimately "Livin Da Dream" fell flat in the same vain as Frédéric Weis of Knicks infamy, a promising experiment ruined by a "dunk de la mort". However instead of Vince Carter delivering the final blow "Livin Da Dream" is put out of its misery by a lack of personalization the MyCareer game mode many of us have come to love as an expression of "our" fantasies of playing out or careers in the NBA. I understand the fact that given the format of MyCareer there would be limitations to the customization, however I was expecting some sort of rationale and was left disappointed mainly due to the lack of making the story of this Spike Lee Joint about "MyCareer" rather than an awkward Spike Lee cliche. Feel free to agree or disagree, like I said NBA 2K16 is the best basketball simulation on the market and absolutely worth a purchase if you love the game of basketball, however if you purchase 2K16 based solely for the purpose of MyCareer I recommend going in with no expectations and trying to make the best out of "Livin Da Dream". Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2015
    Let me preface my review with this: I love the NBA and loyally purchase the 2K series every year for basketball. Let's start with the BAD NEWS. 1-If you have never played a 2K basketball game ever, or haven't played one in awhile, the controls will be confusing or downright infuriating. There still is no simple tutorial. Listening to some NBA players tell you how to do things in aLet me preface my review with this: I love the NBA and loyally purchase the 2K series every year for basketball. Let's start with the BAD NEWS. 1-If you have never played a 2K basketball game ever, or haven't played one in awhile, the controls will be confusing or downright infuriating. There still is no simple tutorial. Listening to some NBA players tell you how to do things in a video that is small does not help one learn the controls. The only way you can learn the controls is through their menu system. You can check in game at any time, but there is no trial by error way to learn. Sure practice modes exist, but they don't give you suggestions on how to do things or improve your game. 2-The Spike Lee Joint is a gimmick and nothing else. I found the acting to be cheesy and downright lame (although I recognize this is a family friendly game). You WILL NOT have a unique MyCareer experience. You will be from Harlem. You will have an African-American family. You will have the stupidest nickname in the history of humanity (Frequency Vibrations). This mode is so annoying I do not know if I will ever finish more than a few games in my first season. 3-I play on simulation mode. That means the game should play like a real NBA game. It tries...really hard. But still, certain aspects are overblown like the following: there are too many blocks, especially of jumpshots. Honestly, how many games have you seen where more than one or two jumpshots are blocked? I also find that scoring is more difficult than last year. I find it nearly impossible to hit a shot perfectly, and scoring near the basket appears easy for the PC (friendly or opponent) but even simple shots are missed by the user controlled player. 4-The soundtrack is bad. They use a lot of tracks from previous versions of the game (hoping that the consumer doesn't remember back as far as 2k7 or 2k8). Some songs are fine, like Made you Look by Nas, but more often than not they are also, oddly lame. 5-Not a big deal, but some strange menu decisions are annoying. 6-Hair. I am a redhead, and if you want to create your own fellow ginger character...good luck. 2K still does not know how to make hair colors accurate. OJ Mayo's blown out hair looks gray in game. It's really awkward. Blonde players often look brown also. Some players' hair looks great, but come on...isn't it about time redheads have accurate hair color in game?

THE GOOD: 1-The players finally move fluidly. While there is still some times where your players feel slow moving, more often than not each player moves like an ACTUAL HUMAN. It's only now in 2015 that this could ever be accomplished in a video game (sarcasm). 2-There are a lot of modes to play in. I personally like MyGM, but I would dabble into MyTeam or MyCareer (probably not this year!) from time to time. 3-The graphics are excellent and most, but not all of the players look extremely lifelike. 4-I enjoy the small sit down interviews with a player shown in between quarters. This may get old, but so far it's pretty cool. 5-Defense is finally improved. You can actually follow your assignment around the court and effectively defend. **This should also be somewhat of a negative, because the computer still has the innate ability to completely stop a player from moving in a direction or from doing any sizeup/dribbling move, despite moving their controller to do such.**

Overall I think I will grow into this game, as I learn the new controls (albeit from the menu) and get better at actually scoring. You might just think I am bad at 2K, but I played last year on simulation on All-Star and regularly blew opponents out by 20-40 points. I still can't forgive 2K for the joke of a MyCareer. I guess it's something they had to peddle in order to trick people this year's game was SO different from last years. It really isn't though. Sure there are some cool things to do if you play online (which I don't), but the whole Spike Lee Joint experience seems like a gimmick to make $$$. I get it. I really do. Which is why I will still play this game until NBA 2K17 comes out.
  3. Jan 27, 2016
    The graphics are amazing. But it has some issues. Like the my career it is awesome to play in high school and college but the story makes it so boring. The MyGM is very much fun full of excitement. The best part of the game is relocating and making jerseys and stadiums.
  4. Oct 1, 2015
    First there is no decent tutorial feature which should be criminal, like seriously. The story mode looks like 2010 and is buggy with funny glitches that make players jump around, also the AI spams their timeouts and fouls even when they are toast. It's bad enough when you just want the game over and they won't even let you do that. That would be fine but the actual game play is mediocre atFirst there is no decent tutorial feature which should be criminal, like seriously. The story mode looks like 2010 and is buggy with funny glitches that make players jump around, also the AI spams their timeouts and fouls even when they are toast. It's bad enough when you just want the game over and they won't even let you do that. That would be fine but the actual game play is mediocre at best. I don't think the game of basketball is playable. (Actually does anyone remember NBA Ballers, or arcade NBA Jam even?) 2K's version of the sport seems too dynamic and 'slippery' (read too-sim) and makes for an overall frustrating experience. Maybe they could have added some cell-shading and made it more of a arcade dunk fest? In conclusion there is no tutorial, better luck with NBA2K17 maybe? Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2015
    Spike Lee forced me to have a biological black twin. Check and mate. Why is there even a face scanner? Every year, you're forced to role play as Vanilla Ice or Michael Rappaport. This year I have to role-play as a dude with Vitiligo or Albino disease.
    Not being able to spend vc on specific attributes is a form of freemium. They force you to grind for a very long time if you want to perfect a certain attribute, seducing you to spend extra money. But even then, I can't create the specialty player with the advantages/disadvantages I want him to have. And what sense does it make to force me to build a big man's moving 3pt if I want to improve his FT?
    So I didn't have any high hopes for the white characters being non-douchebags. But why did the corny ass story go light on the He Got Game and heavy on the UPN+Lifetime+After School Special? Let's get Oliver Stone on the case next time, kthanx.
  6. Feb 26, 2016
    mypark connection is horrible my xbox 360 connection is better. you can never go a lag free game on mypark. this is the only good part about this game but the connection is horrible. I guess all good things have some flaws.
  7. Nov 17, 2015
    I have not reviewed a game on here since 2K14. I was so pleased with 2K15 that i thought 2K was ok without my help, but now I see they are not. It amazes me how a game can go backwards from one year to the next. Everything was so close to being great in 2K15 that I was sure this was the year for perfection. Nope, instead I think the developer cut corner after corner when making thisI have not reviewed a game on here since 2K14. I was so pleased with 2K15 that i thought 2K was ok without my help, but now I see they are not. It amazes me how a game can go backwards from one year to the next. Everything was so close to being great in 2K15 that I was sure this was the year for perfection. Nope, instead I think the developer cut corner after corner when making this game and as sad as it is they are reminding me of EA with all of the crap Madden games over the years (madden 16 rocks for the record). LOADING times of this game remind me my dreamcast in the 90s. And the glitches coming out of timeouts, etc. during my career games are ridiculous. If it was once in a while id be ok but it's twice a game you sit there for 20 seconds staring at a player frozen on the screen. MY CAREER UPGRADES are achieved through practices this year rather than playing 7 games. OK no problem, i can go to the practice 5 times on off days to get another upgrade. However, if the practices are going to be such an integral part of the game this year then please allow me to adjust my camera view. Simple little things like that make you wonder who the hell is in charge at 2K. Who are the department managers signing off on this game saying "yep, that's good, send it out to the masses". I'd like to know because they are not doing their job. Makes you wonder if the people earning money to make this game truly love the NBA 2K franchise. If they did then they would be embarrassed to let this product out with so many bugs. I say all of these negative things because my expectation level was so high. For the casual fan this game rocks and is well worth the purchase. Going to the park is awesome (even though last year was easier to navigate from court to court). MyTeam is fun. MyCareer is fun. The Spike Lee story is cheesy but whatever. The soundtrack for this game is good but i still wish they would allow us to plug in our own tunes. Too much $ involved for that simple change i guess. All in all it's a great game i would recommend to non-diehards and for the diehards like me we can just vent to each other about what coulda been and hope for next year. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2015
    This game is amazing, except for Spike Lee's take on My Career. I was okay with the lack of choices, but after grindng through way too many long, drawn out story scenes I have grown to despise this story. From the disjointed to outlandish acting and directing, it really does stink. Besides that, this is by far the best sports game I have ever played. Players move realistically,This game is amazing, except for Spike Lee's take on My Career. I was okay with the lack of choices, but after grindng through way too many long, drawn out story scenes I have grown to despise this story. From the disjointed to outlandish acting and directing, it really does stink. Besides that, this is by far the best sports game I have ever played. Players move realistically, graphics and cutscenes are crisp and beautiful. Love this game. This ranks up there with Super Tecmobowl and NFL 2K5. Expand
  9. Mar 3, 2016
    NBA 2k16 has improved on many areas in this edition of the game such as graphics and character models. Gameplay has also been tweeked to reward players that like to run plays. It certainly helps to prevent cheese mechanics but the game is hindered by unbalanced players and team overall ratings. Lets talk about the Warriors. The warriors team is extremely over powered. Defence rating isNBA 2k16 has improved on many areas in this edition of the game such as graphics and character models. Gameplay has also been tweeked to reward players that like to run plays. It certainly helps to prevent cheese mechanics but the game is hindered by unbalanced players and team overall ratings. Lets talk about the Warriors. The warriors team is extremely over powered. Defence rating is extremely unballanced, in some circumstances you can play defence on Lebron and kevin durant with stephen curry....This is not realistic at all. While NBA 2k16 has improved on many things it has taken a step back on balancing teams. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2018
    Atmosfer = 7
    Süre = 6

Generally favorable reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 15, 2015
    NBA 2K16 is masterful at providing a re-creation of what we expect to see from a TV broadcast. [Issue#167, p.84]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 9, 2015
    Incremental changes in all the right places on the court, coupled with a comprehensive dynasty mode, make this the sports game to beat for the foreseeable future. [Dec 2015, p.82]
  3. Oct 27, 2015
    It's amazing. A basket game so full of content and quality that its almost unbelievable for a fan of the real sports. It's only fault is the online, that remains unstable year after year, with irritating lag spikes. Oh yeah, the Spike Lee directed stroyline isn't that amazing either, but hey, perfection does not exist after all.