3.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Sep 9, 2014
    I've bought every iteration of the series since NHLPA '93 on the Super Nintendo, and NHL 15 is the most major disappointment I've run across. The inability to play with friends is inexcusable, and the number of bugs that have been in the game since NHL '08 or '09 that remain in '15 make the claims that "we're missing these game modes because we rebuilt the game from the ground up"I've bought every iteration of the series since NHLPA '93 on the Super Nintendo, and NHL 15 is the most major disappointment I've run across. The inability to play with friends is inexcusable, and the number of bugs that have been in the game since NHL '08 or '09 that remain in '15 make the claims that "we're missing these game modes because we rebuilt the game from the ground up" incredibly dubious.

The graphical improvements are nice, but most of them are on content that you won't see all that often. Nobody's going to watch the intro that shows the entirety of each authentic arena more than a few times before skipping it to get to gameplay. Most of your time will be spent in gameplay, from a further camera angle, preventing you from seeing all of that detail anyhow.

Oh, and speaking of that detail - don't expect to see it in instant replays of any games you play online, because replays can only be watched if you pause the game to look at them now - no more list of big plays (goals, etc) at the end of a game.

With so little to do online (no playing with friends, or even couch co-op), you'd better hope the offline modes are spectacular, right? They're not. Be a Pro is unplayable because you can't sim past CPU shifts, so you literally have to sit there on the bench and watch the game while you wait to play your next shift. Who playtested this thing, and what shills are giving this game 7.0 and above scores on professional publications?

It's important to note that while EA has made some promises to patch certain things in, a lot of the game breaking ones (like simming to your next shift) are NOT on that list! I can't recommend anyone buy this game in the hopes that patches will shore up missing content later on - it doesn't seem likely.

This game is a true embarrassment to EA Sports, and should never have seen the light of day.
  2. Sep 9, 2014
    This game was made for the casual gamers and NHL fans, and leaves the hardcore, loyal fans in the rear-view mirror. This is the most "arcade-like" NHL game since the skill stick introduction some 7 years ago. With the complete omission of EASHL and even Online Team Play, EA will not receive $60 dollars from me this year.
  3. Sep 9, 2014
    NHL 15 feels rushed and it is hard to see why; the development team had two years to build the game on next-gen. While EA Canada claimed the reason they took a year off from next-gen was to not cut corners, it seems like that was false hope. While graphics are the best they have ever been, the presentation with 'Doc' Emrick and Eddie Olcyzk doesn't live up to their real life counterpartsNHL 15 feels rushed and it is hard to see why; the development team had two years to build the game on next-gen. While EA Canada claimed the reason they took a year off from next-gen was to not cut corners, it seems like that was false hope. While graphics are the best they have ever been, the presentation with 'Doc' Emrick and Eddie Olcyzk doesn't live up to their real life counterparts and leaves fans wanting more. Offensive gameplay has seen some improvements but not nearly enough to live up to the hype. Add missing game modes and lack of communication with fan-base and the game leaves the consumer feeling lied to and flat out ignored. Maybe next year, EA. Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2014
    A disgrace to the NHL game franchise.
    How can you EA release something which lacks so many features? (Yes, I know that they got scared, and they want to give more features in the future, but for god's sake then release the game when it is ready, and not now.)
    If your product lacks the 80% of the features then write it down, and do not fool the people buying a non finished product. The
    A disgrace to the NHL game franchise.
    The GM mode is a nonsense. Who had that wonderful idea, that for example you can not sim through periods?
    In the previous nhl games if you sim a period you get stats what is happening/happened on the ice, who scored a goal, who is sitting in the penalty box, who shot more on goal etc.. Now I can NOT do that, I can just sim a whole match, and in a blink of an eye I get the result. Whaaat??
    In the previous games, I had complete stats at the main screen about my team, who is the best goalscorer, who is the best in assists etc. Now it is gone. Why? Good question.
    I did not know about the fact that I CAN'T choose people to DRAFT. I had two first round draft picks, and the system selected me TWO GOALKEEPERS.

Be a pro
    It is amazing how EA can ruin everything. I loved be a pro, and I was happy that it is be a pro again, and not live the life with stupid text base interiews. Be a pro in the NHL franchise was for me always as it sounds, a game mode which can give you an epic adventure from being a rookie to be a superstar. This contains playing in junior league, and play good to have a good place in the draft. After that play as a 55-60 overall player on the farm team, get stronger, better, and be called up. I was shocked by the fact, that from the beginning I was part of an NHL team with 72!!! overal.
    But why should I be mad about this. 90% of the players will never play this game mode, because it is completely ruined. You are forced to watch the computers playing their rubbish game until you get your shift again. Yes, the simmulation to your next shift is OUT, which made the game mode unplayable. And for EA is okay, because they want to add to be a pro only "tips from your coach how to be more succesful in the game"

Don"t spend your money on this. It is a very hard question what were the guys in EA thinking with this. That the people will cheer because of the new graphics system? (By the way that is realy nice, that is why I gave 2 points in my review.)
  5. Dec 3, 2014
    A really disappointing game I even like the XBOX 360 version of this game better. The gameplay is more realistic yes, but the gameplay is boring and less entertaining the recent NHL games. Graphics are pretty solid however that doesn't make the game good. The only game mode they really cared about was HUT even though I do like that game mode I am also a fan of GM mode and would have likeA really disappointing game I even like the XBOX 360 version of this game better. The gameplay is more realistic yes, but the gameplay is boring and less entertaining the recent NHL games. Graphics are pretty solid however that doesn't make the game good. The only game mode they really cared about was HUT even though I do like that game mode I am also a fan of GM mode and would have like more improvement with that game mode. Dumb gameplay leads to a boring game. Expand
  6. Dec 15, 2014
    As the biggest and longest running sports game franchise, by EA standards this is garbage.

Not to mention all the blatantly meaningless awards that were handed out to this game. Furthering the notion that these so called "experts" are really just pawns of the corporate gaming industry who are more interested in maximizing the 'contributions' to their events from developers rather than actually providing competition for these awards based on fair and unbiased (monetarily unbiased especially) critique of the game that the average video game consumer can then look to and use, without having to wade through the blatantly meaningless reviews by people who have either been bought or simply haven't played the game, to make a decision on which game is more worth their $70.

$70 that many of them likely had to work for over 7 hours to make...

EA is either unwilling or unable to provide the level of video game that it's fanbase deserves for their money, how do they win any award.

[NHL series supporter since '95, Fifa since '03]
  7. Nov 12, 2014
    Game is fun with new physics. Teammate AI is even worse and passing is kind of bad. No game modes whatsoever. Huge step down for franchise. Already traded it back in after a month of nonsense.
  8. Nov 24, 2014
    If you know hockey like me and have loved this series. You are extremely disappointed. I sold mine used within a couple days. TERRIBLE gameplay. They ruined the skill still with autodekes built into your skill stick moving. SO choppy and bumpy if you are playing online 5v5, where you constantly change into players who suck or have the wrong hand and the few people who do play online are SOIf you know hockey like me and have loved this series. You are extremely disappointed. I sold mine used within a couple days. TERRIBLE gameplay. They ruined the skill still with autodekes built into your skill stick moving. SO choppy and bumpy if you are playing online 5v5, where you constantly change into players who suck or have the wrong hand and the few people who do play online are SO BAD, because anyone who knows anything is playing on 360 still. SO disappointed! Traded slightly better graphics, for gut wrenchingly bad gameplay. JUST Terrible gameplay AND Terrible game features. I love hockey and have loved nhl in the past. I hate this game. Can't even play it. It worrys me to sickness thinking this might be a step in the direction they are heading. It's so wrong, and so bad. EA has hired a team of complete morons. Expand
  9. Dec 7, 2014
    Where do I begin with this abomination of a game? I have played the EA hockey series since '92 and been a passionately loyal fan of the the series. Despite 2 years to launch this game, EA has failed to such a huge degree that I don't know if I can ever forgive them. We have all heard about the missing features which on its own is absolute garbage. But what we are left with just tops offWhere do I begin with this abomination of a game? I have played the EA hockey series since '92 and been a passionately loyal fan of the the series. Despite 2 years to launch this game, EA has failed to such a huge degree that I don't know if I can ever forgive them. We have all heard about the missing features which on its own is absolute garbage. But what we are left with just tops off the pile of **** also known as "NHL 15."

The gameplay, some say it is ok...I couldn't disagree more. As someone who has played this series for more than 20 years, and someone who also played competitive hockey the logic on this game play is infuriating at best. Here are my top frustrations with the game play:

1. Absolutely unrealistc passes: Somehow EA still hasn't managed to figure this out and you still see top ranked players make plays that are simply not possible in real life. At the same time you moments where a simple pass you are trying to make goes no where near your desired target.

2. Skating skills of the AI: It blows my mind how many times you will have a loose puck in a corner only to have your AI player turn away from the puck. Or conversely, if you take control over of that player, how often they miss the puck that is slightly bouncing.

3. Skating in general: I get it, they want to make the physics of skating more realistic, But I have lost count on how many times a player will pick up the puck and will turn the complete opposite direction that I am directing the player, resulting in a loss of balance and speed.

4. Offsides: The AI is absolutely brain dead. The skate in a predictable straight line towards the blueline leaving you two choices: 1. Pass it to them, so the can get crushed by the d, or hold onto the, puck. Hold onto the puck and the AI just keeps skating offside.

5. Passing: You get 1 of 2 options, a successful completely unrealistic pass, but on the other hand absolute terrible passes. What often should be a simply pass from left to right somehow ends up in the corner or completely down the ice for an icing call...leaving you think WTF!!

This game is terrible, god awful. Don't buy this game, and quite frankly, don't buy next years as well unless reviews show a complete turn around from this year's release. Words can describe how incredibly disappointing this wretched pos is.
  10. Dec 12, 2014
    This is absolutely the lowest score I have ever given a game and it has nothing to do with the actual gameplay. The mechanics are great, it truly is a good Hockey game. However, the reason I LOVE this franchise is because of the Be a Pro and Club modes, both of which are available on the 360 version but not the One. Excuse me? Why would you nerf the best features for the next-genThis is absolutely the lowest score I have ever given a game and it has nothing to do with the actual gameplay. The mechanics are great, it truly is a good Hockey game. However, the reason I LOVE this franchise is because of the Be a Pro and Club modes, both of which are available on the 360 version but not the One. Excuse me? Why would you nerf the best features for the next-gen release? The only reason I play this game is to play with my hockey-loving friends and we always have a blast playing Club games, win or lose. Without those features, the game just sinks into obscurity and boredom. As quickly as it was purchased, it was exchanged for credit. Thank god I realized they were not going to deliver these features in an update before my exchange price dropped below $40 at GameStop. Expand
  11. Feb 10, 2015
    I used to be a big fan of NHL, but this game is under my expectation.
    Interface: It's not really bad, but when you want to choose a team, you have a lag (around 1 sec) between each team (time to generate the 3 D logo?) you select. It the same when you want to select the jersey for your team...
    Game mode: You find the same modes than the other opus. Game play. If everything before is
    I used to be a big fan of NHL, but this game is under my expectation.
    Game mode: You find the same modes than the other opus.

Game play. If everything before is ok, here is the main problem for me. The engine is really poor and the IA has a lot of bug. The game is made to generate hits on the ice...A lot of hits...Too many hits. We are closer to an arcade mode than a simulation. The tactical patterns are poorly represented and the engine for passes and shoots is one of the worst I saw. We are really far from the real life!

Graphics: There are good and they added some new features

Finally, it's really hard to me, but NHL 15 doesn't deserve a good mark.

(Sorry for my English, I'm french!!)
  12. Apr 10, 2015
    I have played NHL since the snes/genesis days and I can tell you that this game is without a doubt this worst version I have ever experienced. This game is absolute trash. This series reached its pinacle a few years back and has been on a downwards spiral the last few years. I think they have finally hit rock bottom.

The AI gets worse every year, not better like some people tend to

The AI gets worse every year, not better like some people tend to think. I sometimes wonder if the developers have every watched a game of hockey in their lives. Just a couple of examples would be when the goaltender gets the puck, I have never seen a real goalie pass the puck to the dman in the corners with his hands. It might happen if the dman was standing next to the goaltender but never would you see a 10 foot pass by hand. Another example would be when you turnover possession in your defensive zone and have control of the puck with a d-man. I was stunned to see my forwards moving up ice but skating backwards. Its almost comical. Teammates seem to be lost on the ice most of the time and then the opposing team AI always seems to have there act together. Its extremely frustrating to try and set up plays as you constantly feel like your battling brutal AI. Hockey is a team sport so you rely on your team to make intelligent choices. If EA cannot fix this issue then nothing else they do is going to matter.

Some other issues I experienced was frame rate drops. The games menus are so poorly optimized and the pre-rendered graphics (ea logo) actually look choppy most of the time. This just makes in glaringly obvious this game was rushed.

In-game graphics are decent but not great. When I compare player models to something like NBA 2K, NHL just doesn't cut it. Its time EA makes players actually look like their real life counterparts not a close version. I also dont see a big improvement from last gen at all.

The one positive I have to say about this game is that EA finally updated the broadcast. It was time for some new in-game commentary and that was sorely needed. I like what they are trying to do with it but it still needs some major polish.

Overall, this game was clearly released before it was ready. Aside from the points I made earlier, the most obvious is how many game modes/features were not included that should have been.

I think its sad that no other developer has chosen to create a hockey sim since 2K decided to stop. Clearly, the lack of competition has made EA Sports extremely lazy with this title. All this means is that until some major improvements are made, I will be without a hockey sim, because this game is nothing but frustrating.
  13. Sep 9, 2014
    complete lack of game-modes, as well as the need for immediate patches, makes this, one unfinished, piece of garbage, if your getting this game to play online with friends, you best think again, cause it aint happenin.
  14. Sep 9, 2014
    Dont buy this game unless you just want visuals. The graphics are nice but EA has only provided a barebones version of past generation games. Gone are some game modes and the game modes they have provided dont even have all the features they used to. For example, you cannot even draft or do a fantasy draft in Be a GM mode. This is a must have. What is the point of being a GM if youDont buy this game unless you just want visuals. The graphics are nice but EA has only provided a barebones version of past generation games. Gone are some game modes and the game modes they have provided dont even have all the features they used to. For example, you cannot even draft or do a fantasy draft in Be a GM mode. This is a must have. What is the point of being a GM if you cant even draft? Also the Creation Mode is gone. You cant create or edit players. I like to create myself and put it me in Be a GM mode. Terrible game. Replay value is nothing. Graphics are nice but after a couple of games it wears thin. The depth of modes and gameplay is what counts for me to keep coming back to play it. And then in Canada its very expensive...$80. NOT WORTH IT. I wont be buying NHL games again until all the features from previous generation games are back, plus they add new stuff. Why cant I even put my face in the game yet? Expand
  15. Sep 9, 2014
    Things I like: Better resolution, HD graphics, Crowds. Arenas. Sounds. Puck Physics. Multiple referees.

Things I miss/dislike: * Sticks just glide right through players, while collision and physics revamp has been highly touted making players maneuver their sticks around each other was too much. Drop or break your stick then the puck hits it and just stops like it is made of lead.

Things I miss/dislike:

* You can only play 1v1 online. Hockey is a team sport and has been reduced, when online, to a single player versus mode game.

* Lack of game modes. HUT always feels like such a horrible money grab. You open these packs of cards and then you have to manage the roster and field the best team, but the cards have contracts that you have to maintain. Once the contract is up and their games played value at 0 you have to buy another deck of cards. I already paid $60 for the title, now you want me to grind out 100 HUT games in order to afford a decent team? No, you want me to pony up another $30 or more so that I can get the ULTIMATE TEAM that I want. If I were rich, I would love it.

* No major improvements in GM Mode, in fact some features have regressed. The strategy system has gone back to what consumers had in 2009, no fantasy draft, SIM hasn't improved, and there is nothing dynamic about it. Looking at other titles, Madden, FIFA, TheShow, NBA.... all tout very deep offline GM and Player modes. At this point, I might as well grab a pen and paper and draw up my own GM mode to keep track of, because I have more imagination than the developers assigned to tackle these modes. The thing is just dreary. Where is the fun?

* Be A Pro (BAP) .. In previous years I had to play a 'futures' game and then get drafted. Not there anymore? I just don't even understand why this wouldn't be there.

From the bottom up, this game reeks of being a beta. We'll test it out and whine about what we don't have over the next year and they'll get all compensatory and promise that NHL 16 will be the bee's knees. Hopefully the player base will still be there.

As a consumer, Why not just purchase the previous year's copy? The game play is nearly identical, there are more game modes and the couple of modes that carried forward for the XBONE/PS4 have less depth. I just don't see $60 of value in a title with an annual release that has less depth and features than its predecessor.

Overall, it is good to see that EA is creating a new game from the ground up. Menus, presentation, game play physics, and even the game modes will be all brand new in 2016, because the 2015 release has glaring deficiencies in these areas and a distinct lack of depth.

EA Sports sold over 840k copies of NHL 14 on XBOX/PS3 for a gross profit over $12.6 million at $15 of gross profit per unit sold (Developers typically get 15% of a title's retail price). How many will they sell this year? Why have they turned their backs and nickel and dimed the development of a title that reaps over 10 million annually in copies sold?
  16. Sep 9, 2014
    They had two years to put together a next gen NHL game, and failed miserably. While game play is improved, the majority of modes are gone, and Be A Pro might as well be axed (no simming ahead to next shift kills it). Be A GM is not far behind (can't draft, can't play AHL teams).

And contrary to what others are saying, very little will be patched. These are the only patches promised:

September
    -Playoff Mode added
    -Be A Pro will have coach feedback (doesn't matter, lack of sim to next shift kills this mode)
    -3 Stars will be added to end of game
    -Some content updates to HUT (the one mode no one is complaining about)
    October
    -Online team play (doesn't say what it is, makes it sound like 5v5)
    -GM Mode will have a draft

That's it. No EASHL. Be a Pro will continue to be garbage. Be a GM will be crap for another month or two. Add to that most of the players don't look like the people they are supposed to be, and this game is trash. I just returned my copy.
  17. Sep 11, 2014
    The emperor does have clothes, just no body...

This is just a middle finger to all of the people who have supported EA through thick and thin. First SimCity and now this? Good luck getting another penny from me.
  18. Sep 10, 2014
    Shouldn't have been released as a full retail. Every aspect of this game is gutted compared to previous versions. I give it a 1 based on the on-ice improvements, but on-ice improvements don't add up to much when put into a skeleton of a game.
  19. Sep 10, 2014
    This is the worst release ever! Over and out. There are so many problem 5000 characters isn't enough.

Worst thing is that the servers still are laggy and makes the game totally unplayable

Switch all staff and bring the best from FIFA to fix the next release!
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    As someone who has purchased every NHL game since NHL '94, I am completely disappointed and angered by this years title. There is absolutely no reason why game modes were gutted as much as they were. I mean no ability to draft in BaGM, no simming until your next shift,playing in the minors, editing your goalie equipment in BAP. There is no reason this game costs as much as it does whenAs someone who has purchased every NHL game since NHL '94, I am completely disappointed and angered by this years title. There is absolutely no reason why game modes were gutted as much as they were. I mean no ability to draft in BaGM, no simming until your next shift,playing in the minors, editing your goalie equipment in BAP. There is no reason this game costs as much as it does when we're getting half a game, if that. I know they say patches are coming, but you shouldn't have to patch a game this much to make it playable. Truly sad.

All that being said the on-ice gameplay is a step in the right direction, it's just too bad there isn't a mode to enjoy that gameplay with.
  21. Sep 9, 2014
    Wtf!! Where is EASHL??
    This game offers nothing to an online gamer. No interest in playing against AI players who skate sideways into the boards. EA should be embarrassed. Such a let down.
  22. Sep 9, 2014
    So, Here we are. Fifa on ice, Wait my bad. NHL15 ok, so its finally here well not all of it. This game is the return of NHL to consoles and this year its on XB1,PC,and PS4. But the game is lacking all the features that made it great. Im not going to give the whole list, but its pretty long. You do get ok gameplay but it feels like the demo, but you can change teams. Not worth the 60$, 30So, Here we are. Fifa on ice, Wait my bad. NHL15 ok, so its finally here well not all of it. This game is the return of NHL to consoles and this year its on XB1,PC,and PS4. But the game is lacking all the features that made it great. Im not going to give the whole list, but its pretty long. You do get ok gameplay but it feels like the demo, but you can change teams. Not worth the 60$, 30 yes. If you need hockey on the next gen go ahead and get it. if you dont save your money and get destiny instead. Expand
  23. Sep 12, 2014
    Buyer beware - Classic EA behavior ahead...

Buyer beware - Classic EA behavior ahead...

So, this game is at best 30% finished even though they took one extra year to "complete" the game. The old gen version is back to what the PC version was when it still existed - A rooster update at full price. EA has promised to add missing features during the year (next gen only), but have a quick look at the state of Battlefield 4 almost a year after launch and guess how much I trust that statement…

The good
    Graphics look amazing
    New crowds look and sound a lot better than before
    Presentation overhaul was sorely needed and is well done overall, especially the intro sequences to games.

The bad - Modes
    No online play
    Be a GM has been gutted - No draft, AHL, stats or ability to edit players and roosters.
    Be a pro - Scaled back from Live the Life, no skipping ahead to next shift (HOW is that a difficult feature to implement?), back to the same old play-first-line-minutes-no-matter-what with the added bonus of never being sent down to the AHL since it doesn't exist. No coach feedback either, so enjoy 82 full games of no change at all..
    Season mode has been removed

The bad - Gameplay
    Minor patches to AI behaviour, still loads of big issues.
    Defense is terrible as usual, this year it’s even worse since the defensemen can’t seem to “lock” players in front of the net.
    You can still pretty much skate along the boards to gain entry every time and then just wait for the cross-crease pass.
    Goalies make phantom saves that the animations can’t keep up with without looking jarring and out of place (again).
    The backhand has gone from unusable to too efficient. Now it’s backhand-forehand-backhand instead of the reverse which was true for the last 3-4 games.
    Partly dodgy puck physics (although the overall feels is a lot better!)

The extra sleazy
    The only game mode that made it through unscathed was HUT, which is the biggest micro transaction cash grab for EA.I wonder why?

The summary
    Asking FULL PRICE for this game is a god damn disgrace. I thought the last two years of failed launches and being voted Worst Company TWICE would teach EA something at least, but this is even worse than Sim City, BF4 and the like. The game isn’t finished. At all. Promising to “add” missing features later on is not an acceptable solution to a game that is played for 12 months at the most by a vast majority of the community. EA even daring to ask customers to trust them after their behavior these last few years is laughable. I’ll never pre-order or buy an EA game at launch again since they obviously have no qualms about pushing an unfinished product out the door. Do not buy this title. Show them that this is unacceptable with the only thing they care about: Your wallet.

Better luck next year!
  24. Sep 9, 2014
    Utterly embarassing for EA to push out a product like this between current gen and next gen and reap the rewards, it is good to hear many people cancelled preorders and saved some money. It is too bad children with mother's credit card will make up for those losses via HUT in game purchases (the ONE game mode EA suspiciously cares about nowadays -- oh right, it's the only guaranteed easyUtterly embarassing for EA to push out a product like this between current gen and next gen and reap the rewards, it is good to hear many people cancelled preorders and saved some money. It is too bad children with mother's credit card will make up for those losses via HUT in game purchases (the ONE game mode EA suspiciously cares about nowadays -- oh right, it's the only guaranteed easy money for them!). Shoddy, pathetic work by EA.

They spent so much 'effort' on presentation -- commentary will be muted within a week, and intros skipped after the first day. Nice job EA!!!
  25. Sep 11, 2014
    Absolute garbage! I'm speechless. Let's not even get into the lack of...pretty much everything, from Game Modes to lack of features within the few Game Modes we've been given! I have tried, and tried to get into a Ranked Online match, but I always get an error. I have tried to play with a friend...who had a friend over, but they couldn't add them to the game. The game crashes far tooAbsolute garbage! I'm speechless. Let's not even get into the lack of...pretty much everything, from Game Modes to lack of features within the few Game Modes we've been given! I have tried, and tried to get into a Ranked Online match, but I always get an error. I have tried to play with a friend...who had a friend over, but they couldn't add them to the game. The game crashes far too often, it's like the game is in Beta! The menus are bare and ugly. No the tiles used for the new Windows are not cool for a gaming menu system EA, just no!

That all said, the gameplay is ok, but definitely still a step back from NHL 14. But honestly, throw out the AI and start again. Some games you win 10-0, the next game you lose 10-0, no MATTER how HARD you try to score, no dice. Yet, the next game my little brother in Timbits hockey could get a hat trick. Seriously wish I bought this at a store, so I could trade it in for the Xbox 360 version. What a joke this game is. I feel like I got robbed.
  26. Sep 11, 2014
    Worst Hockey game I ever played.... I don't know what the heck they were thinking when releasing this crap... DO NOT BUY, Unless you want to buy it from me... otherwise its in the trash.... I waited so long for this game to come out on xbox one.. now it's time to go back to the 360 for the good nhl games.. Total disappointment , and waste of $80.00... I would have rather give the money toWorst Hockey game I ever played.... I don't know what the heck they were thinking when releasing this crap... DO NOT BUY, Unless you want to buy it from me... otherwise its in the trash.... I waited so long for this game to come out on xbox one.. now it's time to go back to the 360 for the good nhl games.. Total disappointment , and waste of $80.00... I would have rather give the money to the homeless guy down the street.. Expand
  27. Sep 14, 2014
    once again NHL hockey sucks, same **** new season, when i first played a couple games i thought awsome until i played it on a regular basis......gm mode halfway through my first season, i went through 4 goaltenders in which the highest save percentage was .695 (garbage) ..... i noticed once again computers scored all cheese goals (such as funny bounces) while you gotta work for your goals,once again NHL hockey sucks, same **** new season, when i first played a couple games i thought awsome until i played it on a regular basis......gm mode halfway through my first season, i went through 4 goaltenders in which the highest save percentage was .695 (garbage) ..... i noticed once again computers scored all cheese goals (such as funny bounces) while you gotta work for your goals, computer picks up every bounce or dump in once again (which EA said it improved in). everytime u hit a player or whack the puck off of the computers stick they somehow always recover the puck or it goes to their next player....garbage! my best players suddenly usless! Its pretty funny when the team is all over you in your own end and you switch to certain players that these players skate in the wrong direction on purpose so the computer has open lanes every time. (espally when you know that wasnt the direction you wanted to go). Watching my own players without the puck skate outta position is like watching beer league hockey, its god damm annoying. every backhander goes in. the drafts suck once again as i keep posting.....top 3-5 players drafted should be 77-82 overall, not a 2.5 star potential and a 62 rating in which the player takes 6-10 seasons to become nhl material. It really sucks when you outshoot a team and out played them in every category espally shots 33-7 and lose 6-1 (also garbage). i noticed this is basically every game when i look at the game stats.... im sure glad i didnt buy this for my xbox one because i heard its even worse, i dont care about the graphics or what has been added, all i care about is a realistic hockey game! Expand
  28. Sep 10, 2014
    Very angry and disappointed. I have bought every NHL since '09 and I will be returning this to Walmart. There is No drop in games, No Online Team Play, No EASHL, No Online Shootouts!!! That is ALL I played!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNTIL THESE PROBLEMS ARE FIXED!!
  29. Sep 10, 2014
    Don't buy NHL 15 this year! They basically took away everything people loved about the game and every enjoyable game mode. No more EASHL! No more playing as a created player online with friends! No online team play! This game is a complete JOKE!
  30. Sep 9, 2014
    First of all this game is a huge disappointment to a long time EA Nhl buyer, enormous steps backwards in the gameplay factor and the menu systems. I'm not a huge fan of eashl but a lot of my friends are and this is a huge reason that they decided to buy the 360 version instead of the one version. Menu systems are next to barebones, the main menu feels like a tech demo to show this is whatFirst of all this game is a huge disappointment to a long time EA Nhl buyer, enormous steps backwards in the gameplay factor and the menu systems. I'm not a huge fan of eashl but a lot of my friends are and this is a huge reason that they decided to buy the 360 version instead of the one version. Menu systems are next to barebones, the main menu feels like a tech demo to show this is what it could look like not polished final product material. The gameplay feels rushed and definitely not polished, yes the Graphics are the 1 thing this game has going for it, faces are easily recognizable but like stated the hair on the models are next to ken and Barbie. I feel like im playing a 5v5 ea arcade hockey game the hits are horrible, if Datsyuk hits Chara he doesn't go down like Probert hit him.

When it comes down to it this game feels like NHL arcade from the marketplace, not the hardcore simulation fans are used to with NHL games. So Nhl was doing great for you guys until madden was criticized so bad that you dropped everything and focused on that ip. I've been buying nhl games since Nhl 94 and I'm highly disappointed this game was even released. Hockey is my number 1 sport and even I think this should have gotten the nba live treatment and cancelled.

You were given 2+ years to get this right and you dropped the ball, 60$ for a game that's lacking 90% of the game we received last year and we got prettier crowds and a voice over pack that the money grab overlords Activision gave out for 2$ congratulations EA another franchise is broken, because of greed and what you think would be best for the costumer

The only reason this game got even a 1 is because of those superficial graphics
  31. Sep 12, 2014
    I don't know where to start. Most of it has been covered by previous posters. Biggest disappointment is lack of EASL. The one mode that should have been included. But i gues that mode doesnt make ea enough money from micro transactions. The game is so bare bones its laughable. The fact that critic reviews are giving this game favorable ratings is very fishy. Or maybe they arent long timeI don't know where to start. Most of it has been covered by previous posters. Biggest disappointment is lack of EASL. The one mode that should have been included. But i gues that mode doesnt make ea enough money from micro transactions. The game is so bare bones its laughable. The fact that critic reviews are giving this game favorable ratings is very fishy. Or maybe they arent long time customers. Graphically im just not seeing anything worthy of next gen. Gameplay is same as it ever was. The hype about the physics being done by a guy who on worked on the large hadron collider is a joke. The menus are atrocious omg. This may have all been forgiven if they delivered some fantastic gameplay or graphics but its exactly the same. Who thought it was a good idea to worry about spending development time on things as stupid as the crowd instead of add features that should have been priority. I could go on forever about the blunder that is NHL 15. First time in a long time i wont be buying hockey. They had 2 years and this is what they give their fans. What a joke Expand
  32. Sep 18, 2014
    EA leaves PC players in the dark for yet another year. The latest version PC gamers have access to has Dion Phaneuf on the cover... in a Flames jersey. Thanks for nothing.
  33. Sep 20, 2014
    Everything that was wonderful about this series has been removed. The ability to customize music, in depth GM mode, be a pro, I could go on for days. Simply put NHL game play looks fantastic but feels like even offline games suffer from lag. I don't feel like players control like natural skaters but instead like avatars on tracks. For the first time since 1998 I have bought this game andEverything that was wonderful about this series has been removed. The ability to customize music, in depth GM mode, be a pro, I could go on for days. Simply put NHL game play looks fantastic but feels like even offline games suffer from lag. I don't feel like players control like natural skaters but instead like avatars on tracks. For the first time since 1998 I have bought this game and within 4 hours returned it and demanded a refund. Basically the developers at EA Sports have produced a demo and released it as a full retail game.

Thank you from a dedicated fan looking forward to next year.
  34. Sep 21, 2014
    Too many bugs in HUT mode. It's a bad game compared to the 2014.

So sad seriously ... Asking myself if it is time to play to another game.

Terrible game. Replay value is nothing.
  35. Oct 13, 2014
    The gameplay is very good in this game. It is much better than it was in NHL 14. Unfortunately, this game doesn't have most of the game modes we all know and love, and the ones it does have are gutted versions of what they once were. EA promises updates, but this game still isn't worth more than $20. Strike a deal with a disappointed friend if you can...
  36. Oct 16, 2014
    Quick copy paste from Operation Sports

Modes/Features No GM Connected No Online Team Play (when this is patched into the game later this year, it will use real NHL players and teams) No EA Sports Hockey League No EA Sports Arena No Online Shootouts No Live the Life No Be A Legend No Winter Classic No tournaments or Battle for the Cup No season mode (you can only play seasons
    Quick copy paste from Operation Sports

No Live the Life
    No Be A Legend
    No Winter Classic
    No tournaments or Battle for the Cup
    No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)
    No NHL 94 Anniversary mode
    No custom music support
    No create-a-play designer
    Cannot customize each team's AI
    No create-a-team
    No way to edit individual players
    Practice mode is now limited to one skater vs. an AI goalie

Gameplay

No custom camera option
    No Action Tracker replay highlights
    No Top 3 Stars at the end of games.
    Be A GM
    Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU
    Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise
    Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats
    No fantasy draft option
    No preseason games

Be A Pro

No option to sim ahead to the next shift
    You only play in the NHL; you cannot play for minor league teams
    The Memorial Cup tryout period is gone. You now begin by picking an NHL team, or by letting a random CPU team draft you.
    No All-Star game

Ultimate Team

Cannot play against your friends
    No tournaments
    No mobile app
    All of the above features were available last year in NHL 14 for the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3
  37. Sep 12, 2014
    Normally going into a next gen console I expect games (sports in particular) to bring something new and fresh to the table, utilizing new hardware should have allowed them to continue building on the promising NHL 14. But this game is a monumental step back, graphics are good on the new consoles and gameplay is as tight as ever but this game should be avoided by anyone who wants somethingNormally going into a next gen console I expect games (sports in particular) to bring something new and fresh to the table, utilizing new hardware should have allowed them to continue building on the promising NHL 14. But this game is a monumental step back, graphics are good on the new consoles and gameplay is as tight as ever but this game should be avoided by anyone who wants something more than on ice play. Be a Pro, Be a GM, EASHL are all gutted or completely gone. I generally played the previous NHL games for the Be a Pro and Be a GM modes, but they are lacking in all departments in NHL 15. I would advise everyone but the die hard hockey sim fans to avoid this and all upcoming NHL games. The only way I will be buying another NHL title will be if it gets stellar, "can't miss" reviews from sources I trust. Expand
  38. Sep 11, 2014
    Unfinished product, I don't know how EA even thought about releasing it.

Unfinished product, I don't know how EA even thought about releasing it.

BAP mode is bare bones. You can't customize much and once you're in game you can't even skip to your next shift. There also is barely any feedback from the GM. You can choose to be drafted or pick a team. I chose to enter the draft and they just show you numbers and tell you you've been select at whatever number it stops at.

The commentary is terrible. NBC broadcasts of NHL are barely watchable and they made it part of the game. Talk about a company not knowing what it's fan's actually want.

There are just so many missing game modes as well. EA has said some would be "patched-in" which is just ridiculous.

Don't let EA get away with this by buying this game.
  39. Sep 15, 2014
    Every year since NHL 07 has been a slight let-down, leading up to this years completely disgraceful NHL 15. Last year, when NHL 14 wasn't released on Xbox One, I assumed they pay-off of NHL 15 would be well worth the wait, so all was forgiven. I couldn't have been more wrong. Same impossible cross crease one-timers through traffic, AI defense equivalent to a peewee hockey game, goalies whoEvery year since NHL 07 has been a slight let-down, leading up to this years completely disgraceful NHL 15. Last year, when NHL 14 wasn't released on Xbox One, I assumed they pay-off of NHL 15 would be well worth the wait, so all was forgiven. I couldn't have been more wrong. Same impossible cross crease one-timers through traffic, AI defense equivalent to a peewee hockey game, goalies who can't seem to ever get the puck behind the net, big hits look like both players are drunk, fights ending with a giant haymaker...do these guys have any idea what a hockey game looks like?

I would encourage EA to watch a hockey game or even lace up and hit the ice before making their next installment. At the very least you could get your priorities straight. Why would gamers sacrifice features and gameplay for flapping jerseys, dynamic crowds and authentic arenas? Why not release these cosmetic features in the DLC and keep the gameplay features the same? I'd rather see a kneeing penalty inserted into the game or a better animated "scrum" after the whistle than see every 10th or 12th fan in LA wearing a winter coat and a beanie. Hell even a mascot rather than an authentic arena.

I have happily purchased this game every year until this season, but enough is enough. Until EA makes a game that takes a GIANT step forward (rather than meaningless small changes or huge steps back) they won't see a dime from me. I would encourage everyone to do the same, otherwise we won't see any change and we'll be forced to play this sub-par NHL 06 remastered. And for god's sakes, please triple the commentator content.
  40. Sep 9, 2014
    The presentation and gameplay this game boasts is a massive improvement from the previous gen consoles. The problem being, this comes at the expense of most of the game modes that made this game fun. A quick search will point you to lists fans have composed of all the various game types missing from last year, and while it would be nice to think that there were technical limitations orThe presentation and gameplay this game boasts is a massive improvement from the previous gen consoles. The problem being, this comes at the expense of most of the game modes that made this game fun. A quick search will point you to lists fans have composed of all the various game types missing from last year, and while it would be nice to think that there were technical limitations or resource problems, you get shot right through the heart when you see that the *one* game mode they *did* put effort into is HUT - the game mode that offers you the ability to improve your team through microtransactions. As a die-hard hockey fan, this is the first time ever that an EA NHL game has come out that I will not be purchasing. Expand
  41. Sep 9, 2014
    I had such high hopes for this game, and in many ways they've been met (or even exceeded), but in many ways I've been thoroughly dissapointed. When you compare NHL 15 with the likes of Madden 15, in terms of presentation (menus) and game modes, it's lagging massively behind.

Where NHL 15 really excels is the gameplay. It's bloody fantastic, from the in game presentation, the living crowds (which ok, they're not important, but they do create an immersive experince) through to the in game physics and fantastic visuals. Playing the game is bloody brilliant!

However, the reason for my low score is that the game is massively let down by a lack of game modes. Not only that, but the game modes that ARE still there are so watered down compared to previous versions. I understand the reasons, but that doesn't mean I think it's right.

I won't go into detail because chances are you know about it. EA say that they're releasing content updates in the coming months to add back in some of the features that are missing, which is great.

I ask myself whether I'd prefer it the other way round (loas of game modes and features but crap gameplay), and the answer is no, so I guess we have to at least consider that.

What I do know is that the gameplay will provide a solid base for NHL 16 to be an awesome game, assuming they focus on the game modes that support it. For now, I can only rate this 6/10 based on the above. I will play it and I'll enjoy it, but I will always think about what could have been for NHL 15, and hope that all of our expectations are met in NHL 16.
  42. Sep 13, 2014
    Never thought I'd say this about an NHL game but this one is a joke and near unplayable. Owned it for 2 days and had 2 successful, glitch free games online. 2 games I didn't even have a goalkeeper (no it wasn't pulled), in 1 the shift changes kept previous player on the ice (had 20 players on at once, inanimate) and all players seem to be ghosts and nothing affects them. The game as aNever thought I'd say this about an NHL game but this one is a joke and near unplayable. Owned it for 2 days and had 2 successful, glitch free games online. 2 games I didn't even have a goalkeeper (no it wasn't pulled), in 1 the shift changes kept previous player on the ice (had 20 players on at once, inanimate) and all players seem to be ghosts and nothing affects them. The game as a whole appears unfinished, rushed and poorly developed just to reach the sports release section of this gaming season. I myself will be trading this game in for NHL 14 back and just revert back to the 360. Expand
  43. Sep 10, 2014
    Incomplete game, basic features missing. It is completely stupid to produce a game without including stuff like editing players, 3 stars of the game, A DRAFT in be a gm mode and so much more .. Hope the updates will give the game a second chance, but from now, it's the worse 70$ I spent for a game.
  44. Nov 3, 2014
    Rightfully, I should give it a zero because I only played the EASHL and now it's not there so it has absolutely no appeal to me. I'm taking into account the 1 or 2 modes that were actually left in the game because heaven forbid they left the cash cow Ultimate Team out. I'm sure that's good. The skating feels ok, much more realistic which is the way it usually comes out of the box untilRightfully, I should give it a zero because I only played the EASHL and now it's not there so it has absolutely no appeal to me. I'm taking into account the 1 or 2 modes that were actually left in the game because heaven forbid they left the cash cow Ultimate Team out. I'm sure that's good. The skating feels ok, much more realistic which is the way it usually comes out of the box until enough 12yr old cheese goal scorers whine they can't score at will anymore. Good times EA. I don't really care about graphic improvements or crowd animations or commentary that I turn off a week after owning the game. I'm sure some people like that stuff. Expand
  45. Sep 19, 2014
    Graphics are great, gameplay is awful. Most unrealistic actual gameplay since around 2005. Big step forward in graphics, but gameplay is so unrealistic and just poorly executed that the game is almost unplayable.
  46. Nov 3, 2014
    I have given this game many chances, but I am officially calling it quits.
    I have given this game many chances, but I am officially calling it quits.
    The game is essentially un-playable. Browsing menu's is a huge task; changing lines, substituting players - it's all just a hassle. Menu's lag and hold up and the interface is not intuitive. At first I thought the menu design was an improvement compared to the maze of options in the last few games - but at least those menus made sense and you could navigate them quickly. Good luck if you want to play "Be a GM" lack of basic features in the mode is astonishing and if you want to make regular line changes or even update a team after injury then be prepared to waste 5 to ten minutes of your life for what should be a 30 second operation. You will be in for a similar experience if you play HUT, but only a moron would waste time and money in the feature.

Actual gameplay is abysmal. The AI in online games is incoherent, players skate toward nothing, don't try to get open, don't read plays, essentially don't function. Trying to switch to the player you want is a hassle, often if there is frantic action you can expect to get the player that you want the least. I think this is because the game prohibits you from switching to players that are in an animation. The problem is payers do stupid half animations that completely glitch them out. I wish I could upload a video of my goaltender trying to block an icing that bounced off the boards. He started clapping his stick on the ice and let the puck slide in - just crazy, has happened more than once.

but the absolute worst is not being able to have a guest in online play. This is why I played NHL games. The guys would come over and we play some online modes, being unable to do this is a huge disappointment.

The updates, which EA labels as free content, are laughable. Thanks for updating the colour of the trainers polo... This game is way off track, a huge disappointment. Can't believe I bought in after reading all the negative reviews.
  47. Oct 1, 2014
    I am disappointed in the fact that they released this game when they only had half of the game modes done. The fact that EASHL will no be on it is one of the biggest upsets, being that I bought the game to play it without knowing they excluded it from the newer generation consoles. If they would add this game mode my score would increase.
  48. Sep 13, 2014
    Avoid at all costs. Visuals and presentations improved, but what does that matter if you can't play any of your favorite modes? The entire EASHL community was ignored. Playing offense is even easier than years past as defense gets no love again.
  49. Sep 9, 2014
    So basically all my brother and I did in NHL 14 was play HUT and GM MODE. Hut only lasted about 3 months, boring and not enough offline tournys. GM mode we pretty much turned into a drinking game that we played throughout the year and was great. But basically all offline and we loved it.

In comes NHL 15 with the initial hope that we would be able to do all the things we did in NHL 14 but with an upgrade to the gameplay as well as the Graphics.

So you can imagine my disappointment at first, to see that HUT is only single player offline and GM mode is basically a stripped down skeleton of 14's GM mode.

Commentary already turned off and skipping through cut scenes so meh to the presentation, stale right out the gate. And no Blackhawks Authentic stadium yet...so gah to that.

But in the end we both really enjoy the gameplay and unfortunately this is the only option we have when it comes to a hockey game so I guess we'll have to deal with the issues it has.

If I had to give it a review based on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 6.9 (LOL) mainly because the gameplay is pretty great, they fixed a lot of things I griped about, although I see they added more and hopefully they're fixed as well.

Hope this was constructive to whomever reads it =)
  50. Sep 9, 2014
    I have liked NHL games in the past since the Super Nintendo days and when 1997 came out it blow our minds that being said, NHL 15 is ok, not Great, not terrible. (as a general warning if a game does not have official reviews until Launch Day the Game is not worth buying)

The Graphics are looking very nice but we seemed to have suffered so much because of them as we learned that Good Graphics are meaning less if game play and the futures we want are not there. PS4/Xbox1 versions are missing a lot of content that is in the 360/ps3 around online play.

One of the biggest glaring omissions the lack of players allowed within an online match.

If you only care about playing an offline standard hockey game, without much of anything else this NHL 15 will meet that, but truth be told if you want a robust online game experience, WAIT and skip Ps4/Xbox1 versions until next year altogether.
  51. Oct 29, 2014
    Disappointed about this game. It still play's like the previous games. I mean the game play is solid but they should leave the classic up down view. EA should embrace the broadcast view and build the controls from that angle. Fights aren't that exciting, crowd is not that energetic and dull intermissions. Already thinking of trading it in. They only way you will keep this game if you are aDisappointed about this game. It still play's like the previous games. I mean the game play is solid but they should leave the classic up down view. EA should embrace the broadcast view and build the controls from that angle. Fights aren't that exciting, crowd is not that energetic and dull intermissions. Already thinking of trading it in. They only way you will keep this game if you are a die hard NHL fan. Expand
  52. Sep 15, 2014
    Did someone say this lacks features?Really?Ok, hockey consist of skating,passing,defending and scoring .In real life most would fail miserably but in a game what do you want?Laser beams?It's hockey and guess what it plays like...Hockey!!!
  53. Oct 18, 2014
    NHL 15 is getting a lot of bad press because it launched missing several game modes. These are being patched back in, so it won't be an issue in the near future. The gameplay is fantastic, as are the visuals, audio and presentation. Don't let internet trolls dissuade you from grabbing the first NHL game on current gen platforms. At least try the demo and see for yourself. I have noNHL 15 is getting a lot of bad press because it launched missing several game modes. These are being patched back in, so it won't be an issue in the near future. The gameplay is fantastic, as are the visuals, audio and presentation. Don't let internet trolls dissuade you from grabbing the first NHL game on current gen platforms. At least try the demo and see for yourself. I have no regrets about buying this game. Expand
  54. Nov 9, 2014
    Attention I don't know why everyone hates this game so much when it is one of my favorites.

PROS-
    -HD Graphics
    -Realistic Gameplay
    -Action
    -Fun game modes

CONS
    -None
  55. Sep 10, 2014
    Ok, here is the thing. If you liked a mode that was taken out then yes do not buy the game. If like me you only really played the GM mode and one on one online play then this game is an improvement over last years. Yes, it is annoying that you cannot draft so maybe wait until October when they patch that. Some of the missing stuff is so overblown anyway. Is it really that big of a dealOk, here is the thing. If you liked a mode that was taken out then yes do not buy the game. If like me you only really played the GM mode and one on one online play then this game is an improvement over last years. Yes, it is annoying that you cannot draft so maybe wait until October when they patch that. Some of the missing stuff is so overblown anyway. Is it really that big of a deal they don't announce 3 stars? Is it really that hard to look at a game and go, he had the game winner and an assist he was the best player? The AI is much better and the game play feels much more like real hockey. Expand
  56. Sep 17, 2014
    Highly recommend this game to any true hockey fan! Graphics are amazing! New gameplay is amazing! New broadcasting is amazing! Who cares if they didn't include some little game modes in this years game, doesn't undervalue the game at all!
  57. Sep 10, 2014
    I don't know why everybody is complaining I absolutely LOVE this game! It's awesome and extremely realistic as well as the broadcasting, arenas and the 12 man physics and more. There are some things missing like eashl but man does the man the actual gameplay makes up for it big time! This is now my favorite NHL game made so far
  58. Sep 9, 2014
    The game is a huge improvement from the previous nhl games since 94, although there is a lot of missing features, there is a lot of features to come this month. NHL 15 has no information of 94 mode, which doesn't bother me. Everyone really needs to stop freaking out about the missing features and wait a week or two, you can play 1v1 online, and normal games with improved gameplay, if youThe game is a huge improvement from the previous nhl games since 94, although there is a lot of missing features, there is a lot of features to come this month. NHL 15 has no information of 94 mode, which doesn't bother me. Everyone really needs to stop freaking out about the missing features and wait a week or two, you can play 1v1 online, and normal games with improved gameplay, if you don't think the game is like nhl 14 or 13, then give it a week or so. Overall if you really want an NHL game with right on physics, and improved gameplay, NHL 15 is for you, as the game is missing some features, I still refuse to return the game or give up on it, as it is confirmed for updates in september, and some extra freebies of features will be added in october! Expand
  59. Sep 9, 2014
    Despite the highly publicized lack of features, the latest installment in the NHL series is the best to date. NHL 94 is no big loss, while the 6v6 mode will be added as DLC content at a later date. The visuals are out of this world while the gameplay is flawless. The sound is authentic and the added NBC broadcasting is an added bonus.
  60. Sep 17, 2014
    I give the game a 6. It has the best gameplay in the history of the series. Problem is, it's missing half the features, and the goalies are absolutely dreadful.
  61. Sep 12, 2014
    Okay, is this game of poor value? Yes! But does it deserve 2's 1's and 0's?! HELL NO! I take offence to these morons who haven't played 1/10 and 2/10 games! Play Mindjack, Harry Potter, or Green Lantern! Those games suck ass! This games core is EXCEPTIONAL! Amazing! The skating is fluid, the shooting is accurate, the new sweep dekes are genius, and the commentators are fantastic! Now,Okay, is this game of poor value? Yes! But does it deserve 2's 1's and 0's?! HELL NO! I take offence to these morons who haven't played 1/10 and 2/10 games! Play Mindjack, Harry Potter, or Green Lantern! Those games suck ass! This games core is EXCEPTIONAL! Amazing! The skating is fluid, the shooting is accurate, the new sweep dekes are genius, and the commentators are fantastic! Now, where this where the game falls flat is its value. No Winter Classic, no Live the Life (the best part of NHL 14), No GM connected, a gutted Be a Pro mode, no season mode, no tournament mode, NO PLAYER EDITOR (that one pisses me off), and gutted online modes. EA really only focused on the gameplay and Hockey Ultimate team (which is once again superb). EA has promised more game modes in the upcoming months, but it doesn't excuse the overall value. An unacceptable value in a very polished game. A 7/10, a good game. Expand
  62. Sep 20, 2014
    Many of people have sayed this is bad game, but i think nhl is getting always better and better. I admit it, they have removed some modes... So what? I enjoy the game and not only the modes. The gm mode is there and hut. So what are you complaining? I think those are the most played modes. And the eashl...... It was fun in the 14, but i think this is enough what i need in this game. Good job EA;)
  63. Sep 16, 2014
    It's funny how when geeks are upset about something, they'll rate it a Zero. This game deserves far more than a Zero. I'd say it's at least a 6, maybe a 7. It gets this score based solely on the incredible gameplay and graphics. It is hard to imagine better gameplay for a hockey video game. I've played hockey all my life and this feels real and it sounds real. Unfortunately the gameplay isIt's funny how when geeks are upset about something, they'll rate it a Zero. This game deserves far more than a Zero. I'd say it's at least a 6, maybe a 7. It gets this score based solely on the incredible gameplay and graphics. It is hard to imagine better gameplay for a hockey video game. I've played hockey all my life and this feels real and it sounds real. Unfortunately the gameplay is pretty much the only decent thing about this game. The commentary is weak at best. I watch the NBC broadcasts regularly and there is no way Doc Emrick is as stupid in real life as he sounds in this game. Ditto for Eddie O and Ray Ferraro. Some of their comments make them sound borderline retarded. I haven't been playing for long and already the repetition is annoying. I haven't played the NHL franchise for the past five years so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the gameplay here. If I was a more avid player, it might annoy me that much of the game modes have been cut entirely from the game. These modes are, however, supposedly on their way in October. The gameplay is awesome ... if they can bring the missing modes back in and vastly improve the ridiculous commentary, this game just might make for a winning title after all ... worth far more than the embarrassing 2.6 score it owns currently. Expand
  64. Sep 16, 2014
    Gameplay is fun, and the graphics are good, but the lack of features takes the franchise a step backwards with this iteration. Lack of EASHL is a good example of a major feature left out, but there are also more basic features missing which is hard to excuse. (For example, the game does not autosave between games in offline modes like Be a Pro. So if the game crashes or you lose power andGameplay is fun, and the graphics are good, but the lack of features takes the franchise a step backwards with this iteration. Lack of EASHL is a good example of a major feature left out, but there are also more basic features missing which is hard to excuse. (For example, the game does not autosave between games in offline modes like Be a Pro. So if the game crashes or you lose power and have played several games, expect to lose all that progress. Expand
  65. Nov 20, 2014
    best gameplay in an nhl but lacking almost all the features that have been in the series for so long and for the others that are still in the game the are stripped down to their bare minimums
  66. Dec 9, 2014
    I think this game is amazing, the graphics are superb, sure its missing the all star game , and live the life, but I like it. very realistic computer ai.
  67. Jun 19, 2015
    I got this game for free as part of an xbox gold promotion. I was really excited to play since I love hockey. I literally played about 3 games and was done with it. No original modes. No drills to learn the different aspects of the game, terribly stupid AI, terrible deke system, terrible face off system, opponents that skate terribly faster than you, opponents that just dodge your everyI got this game for free as part of an xbox gold promotion. I was really excited to play since I love hockey. I literally played about 3 games and was done with it. No original modes. No drills to learn the different aspects of the game, terribly stupid AI, terrible deke system, terrible face off system, opponents that skate terribly faster than you, opponents that just dodge your every hit and and go 1v5 against your entire team, friendly AI that just watching the puck, etc. This game is so bad it caused me to destroy a controller out of sheer frustration. Don't buy this game, don't rent this game, don't borrow this game. It will do nothing but take hours out of your day that you will never get back. Expand
  68. Feb 16, 2015
    The lack of depth ruins the game for people like myself who think the HUT mode is a waste of time (like myself and all of my friends and pretty much everyone over 12). I honestly dont understand why anyone plays that mode personally. That mode is ruining sports game as a whole in my opinion. Commentary is horrible, lack of customization, new deke system is a downgrade... i could go on.The lack of depth ruins the game for people like myself who think the HUT mode is a waste of time (like myself and all of my friends and pretty much everyone over 12). I honestly dont understand why anyone plays that mode personally. That mode is ruining sports game as a whole in my opinion. Commentary is horrible, lack of customization, new deke system is a downgrade... i could go on. Hopefully NHL16 is much improved... I likely wont buy it cause i am so bitter with this game. You shouldnt have to research extensively to find out a game you have bought for many years in a row, is now a terrible shell of what it once was. Shame on you EA Sports Expand
  69. Apr 7, 2015
    It looks decent and plays pretty average. It just didnt feel like they added much new or interesting. The bodychecks are lacking that power sounds, the fighting is pretty stupid compared to older games, and for some weird reason they took out the checking after the whistle (something every hockey game should have).

I think I had more fun playing NHL 94 and other older titles. The

I think I had more fun playing NHL 94 and other older titles. The best thing about this game is building your own team. The game itself is subpar.

Another thing that is really frustrating is you can't alter the controls to your liking. They give you 3-4 controller setups, and some of them dont even explain what does what, you just have to figure it out on your own.

Fail.
  70. Mar 29, 2015
    The first NHL game for the next gen systems with a full production years advance to master and it has come through with a big fail. This game on paper sounds like a change in the franchise. New announcers, new physics, new graphics, new arenas it offers everything. But what it delivers is a waste of your money and time.
    With the loss of both EASHL and a functional user player based OTP
    With the loss of both EASHL and a functional user player based OTP this game offers very little in the lines of multiplayer games. It is CLEAR that the only focus they had when making this game was HUT, which stands as the only game mode that feels anywhere NEAR complete. OTP was added late after release as a quick "fix" for the people who were complaining about its removal from the game. Online Versus mode is the other Online Multiplayer mode, where you choose a team and play against a random or a friend. This game mode is simple and works.
    The single player modes are tossed together and incomplete. Be a pro leaves out things such as "Sim to next shift" when your on the bench, Be a GM mode just looks wrong and sloppy. Navigate any of the menus on the game and you'll get a sense of thrown together and lack of care form the makers.
    Excited for new announcers? Don't be. Their new phrases are probably more annoying then the old ones were after the many years we dealt with those ones. With stuff like "HE WISHED HIM A HAPPY BIRTHDAY 4 MONTHS EARLY!" you'll be muting your announcers by the end of day 1.
    Visually the game is good. The arenas, players and crowd are all stunning and crisp. It's one of the few things that there is nothing bad to say about in this game.
    In all, between what they removed from the game, and the way they tossed everything else into the game with a careless mashed up effort, this game is pure garbage ad probably the WORST of the EA NHL Series. Unless you ONLY want to play HUT, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS GAME.
  71. Apr 7, 2015
    I think this game delivers exactly what I expected I just want simple straight forward hockey with better visuals and audio and I feel they came through for sure. I love the NBC commentary and the realistic feel of the players. I think people expect way to much for a sports game when all I expect as a huge hockey fan is just to play some realistic hockey.
  72. Apr 13, 2015
    Absolutely horrible. I loved playing playoffs and GM in old NHL's, now what the HELL happened??? Playoff mode is joke and made with an ass wipe. Graphics are fine but sticks go through the boards ALL the time and that really bothers the game. But those game modes..... What on earthis that playoff mode? You can't change your lines, you have to simulate every fkn game manually, this game isAbsolutely horrible. I loved playing playoffs and GM in old NHL's, now what the HELL happened??? Playoff mode is joke and made with an ass wipe. Graphics are fine but sticks go through the boards ALL the time and that really bothers the game. But those game modes..... What on earthis that playoff mode? You can't change your lines, you have to simulate every fkn game manually, this game is awful and I'm so mad I bought it, gonna try the next one before buying it. Not gonna play this obe. Cos it's so bad. 1 point cause I love NHL. And put back the ability to change player appereances, looks fkn stupid when ovie doesn't have his jersey tucked...... Expand
  73. Jun 9, 2015
    All I can say is that tube graphics are good, that's it. The gameplay is horrible, tube AI just randomly turns to ridiculous mode. Tested it one day, made four 99 players including a goalie then put all my stats up and the AI all the way down. The outcome? Couldn't score one goal as Chicago and lost 7-0 to Carolina. Been playing these games for a long time and this one is a joke. ScoreAll I can say is that tube graphics are good, that's it. The gameplay is horrible, tube AI just randomly turns to ridiculous mode. Tested it one day, made four 99 players including a goalie then put all my stats up and the AI all the way down. The outcome? Couldn't score one goal as Chicago and lost 7-0 to Carolina. Been playing these games for a long time and this one is a joke. Score of 2 for graphics that's it Expand
  74. Jun 12, 2015
    This is a tuff review, Ive been playing nhl games since nhl 2002 including almost all of the 2k games and I have to say gameplay wise, I kind of like the direction the game is going in, BUT the glaring lack of features, and the overall rushed feeling makes this game terrible. they took out so many features its embarassing, but when you consider that they probably have like 8 people totalThis is a tuff review, Ive been playing nhl games since nhl 2002 including almost all of the 2k games and I have to say gameplay wise, I kind of like the direction the game is going in, BUT the glaring lack of features, and the overall rushed feeling makes this game terrible. they took out so many features its embarassing, but when you consider that they probably have like 8 people total working on this game and that EA rushes all of their games because the don't care about their consumers or their games at all, Im happy that they made a gameplay change that didn't completely ruin the game (like FIFA), my hope is that they spent all the time they had making the gameplay and not the features, so in NHL 16 they will have both the gameplay and the features, but knowing EA theres a very good chance that wont happen. There are some very specific issues that I can point out, player stats really don't mean anything, theres a video comparing a 96 overal sidney crosby to a like 70 something mike brown (SJ sharks enforcer) and they are basically the same in every catagory. ALSO shortside goals are the easiest thing in the entire game, the worse the angle, the more likely it will go in. The one thing that really pisses me off is the goalies, if you play a game against a computer you goalie just goes full retard mode, he'll try to cover a puck thats 10 feet away, or hell go out to get the puck then change his mind and let in an empty netter, OR more likely he will just let every single shot they take go in, and no it doesn't matter who you have in net, Ive used almost all of the top teir goalies and the only one thats even slightly better than the rest is Ben Bishop because he is 6'7".

So all in all this game is definitely not worth getting, even with the slight gameplay upgrade it still is just aggrivatingly terrible and lacking in feautures.
  75. Sep 9, 2015
    The only people who think this game is actually good, are the people who have never played hockey. The only upside are the stadium and ice graphics. This is an absolute joke of a game. 1. Terrible A.I 2. Lack of essential game modes 3. Boring announcers 4. Bad skating. BUT SOME WORK INTO YOUR PRODUCT E.A
  76. Dec 21, 2015
    My third rant on this game because I can’t believe just how bad it is. I’d gotten so fed up that I decided to do some research on tactics and strategies online. And it did help for a little while. My biggest problem was defense. I’d figured out the goal scoring techniques and how to properly set up my players to score goals. So defense was next. Realized that I was chasing theMy third rant on this game because I can’t believe just how bad it is. I’d gotten so fed up that I decided to do some research on tactics and strategies online. And it did help for a little while. My biggest problem was defense. I’d figured out the goal scoring techniques and how to properly set up my players to score goals. So defense was next. Realized that I was chasing the opposition all over the place when they were in my zone and that was no good. So I heard about keeping your players in as close to your goalie as possible. That way you can get more rebounds in your zone and cut back on the rebounds going to the opposition. It worked. I won five straight games. Couldn’t believe it. Started to think that ok, maybe you misjudged the programmers of this game. Then the changes started to happen. (1) Suddenly my players are missing more passes. And we’re talking simple passes. The system simply would not let them receive the pass. The puck will pass right in front of them and they will not accept the pass. (2) Suddenly my goalie can’t stop the easiest of shots. Shots from impossible angles or simply easy shots that any rookie could stop blindfolded. (3) The opposition turns into a bunch of Gretzkys and Lemieuxs. They’re making unbelievable moves that would have made Gretzky scared to play them. And since my goalie now is blind, they’re scoring like crazy. (4) The opposition are now speedsters that can intercept nearly all passes I make. (5) This one I really like. In one game, the opposition was all over me in my zone. Now since I’ve gotten better at defense, I am able to get the rebounds in my zone. However, all of a sudden I can’t get a pass to my teammates. The pass bounces of their sticks and goes directly to the opposition. At one point SIX CONSECUTIVE PASSES bounced off my players sticks and went directly to the opposition. Fortunately, it only cost me four goals. (6) Their goalie can now stop anything. On the rare occasion I am able to generate some offense, nothing is getting by their goalie. (7) What’s with the dumb things the programmers have the players do? In one play, the goalie has the puck and the whistle is blown. For no reason whatsoever, my player falls down in front of the goalie. THE PLAY IS STOPPED. Why have him fall down now? So stupid. One time I sent a pass to my player up near the blue line of my opposition. My player who was about to receive the pass FALLS DOWN. There was no one near him to knock him down. He actually fell down on his own. And of course the pass is missed. Who thought that would be cool to put in the game? Dumbest thing I ever saw.
    I don’t mind losing. I don’t expect to win every game. But it’s how this ridiculousness happened. I went from five straight wins to seven straight losses. And that’s my point. Each game it got worst. Having observed the ridiculous setup of this game in the past, when I noticed the sudden change in my team in that first loss, I kept track. The first game they scored the first goal within 10 seconds. The second game the went up 2-0 within the first minute before I could score a goal in the second period. Still lost that game 8-2. Next game they were up 3-0 within a minute. Same thing happened for the next two games. Sixth lost, they were up 4-0 within a minute and a half. Seventh loss, they were up 5-0 in five minutes and I still hadn’t managed a shot on goal. See above for comment about amazing intercepting skills of the opposition. Nothing I did worked. It was like they were on a constant 5-0 power play.
    This is the reason I am now once again calling the designers of this game a joke. I go from playing good hockey to a team that now couldn’t beat a bunch of five year olds. And I’m now playing against a team where all the players have the skills of Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, Sidney Crosby, Marc Messier, Evgenni Malkin, Patrick Roy and so on.
    How could anyone at EA Sports and anyone else involved in the design of this game think this was a well designed game? This is not a game that will make people say “Ooooooh, love this. Gotta get the next one too.”
    It’s not that it’s a terrible game to release. It’s that it’s an unbelievably terrible game to release. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???
  77. Dec 17, 2017
    Well I play this game since NHL 11 only for play club mode with my friend and EA have dare to remove this mode that i think a lot of fan have like. I mean, it's clear that the game is uncomplete and that instead of delay the release of the game EA prefer to put this crap......

Mixed or average reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 12, 2014
    The new engine looks great but while the foundation was successfully rebuilt, many core features are missing. [Issue#246]
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Nov 8, 2014
    Moment-to-moment gameplay is great, making it such a shame that the elements connecting matches is so underwhelming. [Issue#117, p.82]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 5, 2014
    A jarringly inconsistent first poke at next-gen hockey. Makes bold leaps forward in terms of game day presentation, physics and AI, but large swathes of it seem unfinished. [Dec 2014, p.82]