4.3

1. Sep 17, 2019
    Game play and graphics all the same, 60$ for a roster update is kinda of ridiculous. Menus are still super slow, why not get rid of all the junk in the menus that make them slow. menus dont need any 3d effects. Forced to watch replays that usually have bad angles, why? Between periods when you press ready why not show playeror team stats.
  2. Sep 17, 2019
    I bought 3 packs in hut and received 3 untradeble Ivan Provorov...
    I played 7 online games in hut and 23 of 30 goals In my net scored after breakout on board and pass to one timer.
    I saw a lot of bugs and stupid ai. This is last time when I bought nhl game.
  3. Sep 25, 2019
    I want to start by saying I am probably being a bit harsh on this. Gameplay is improved in NHL 20, and the coaching additions make franchise mode more fun. But thats all offline stuff. Offline, NHL 20 is a great experience. Online, it's easily the worst entry in the franchise in a long time. World of Chel is great....if you enjoy staring at loading screens. Games take forever to load, andI want to start by saying I am probably being a bit harsh on this. Gameplay is improved in NHL 20, and the coaching additions make franchise mode more fun. But thats all offline stuff. Offline, NHL 20 is a great experience. Online, it's easily the worst entry in the franchise in a long time. World of Chel is great....if you enjoy staring at loading screens. Games take forever to load, and when I queue up with my friends, I find we spend more time talking about the game rather than playing it, because load times are just so abysmal. Want to play some Hockey Ultimate Team? Might as well stick to Squad Battles. The servers are so laggy that every game is a frustrating mess. I have yet to have a game where i havent either had commands i press just not be processed by the servers, or have goals scored while the servers lagged out and wouldnt let me control my guy. Online gameplay is just not actual NHL gameplay, you can't use normal logic. big guys can't knock small guys off the puck, small guys can't make any sort of turn with any speed, and passes are so late that sometimes its best just to run into a defender and hope you get the loose puck. I get this probably comes off as whiny, but i'm not just a sore loser here. Even games I won i've had these issues, or even had a game I won where my opponent had an open chance to tie the game but the game caused him to dump the puck into the corner instead of takw a shot on net. I even checked to see if the lag was due to my internet, since NHL lets you check your connection, and it was mostly in the green for connection despite me clearly experiencing issues. Just many things that make the online experience the worst one i've had in recent memory with a sports game.

tl;dr - NHL 20 is actually a pretty good game offline, a definite improvement. Online, the game is worthless. Oh, and they still havent dont anything with Be A Pro
  4. Oct 5, 2019
    Where to start.. I'm playing EA NHL since its first edition on Sega mega drive,, and this generation of consoles has been totally screwed by EA... This once great franchise has been stripped down with everything focused on the cash grab gamemode HUT,,, Out went GMC a few years ago with the excuse "no one plays it",,, a stripped down promode and GM mode,,, don't get me started on the AI,,Where to start.. I'm playing EA NHL since its first edition on Sega mega drive,, and this generation of consoles has been totally screwed by EA... This once great franchise has been stripped down with everything focused on the cash grab gamemode HUT,,, Out went GMC a few years ago with the excuse "no one plays it",,, a stripped down promode and GM mode,,, don't get me started on the AI,, this year's commentary is awfull... And no presentation... Again everything,, and I mean everything is trying to force u to play the cash grab mode,, EA is a prime example of how to ruin a once great franchise through Utter greed... They would be better off just releasing NHL 14 again because that's the last decent game they have made... I dread the next generation games because if this one is anything to go buy EA will have us paying to turn on the game. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2020
    Once again, EA trots out another copy and paste knowing full well devoted hockey fans will lap up the opportunity to play as our favorite teams.

Minus the addition of coaches and a downgrade in voice acting, nothing about this game feels novel or interesting. Why is EA so reluctant to add functions people are asking for? Why are the menus so lifeless and unnecessarily complicated?

Why are the menus so lifeless and unnecessarily complicated? Why does every odd man rush or one timer almost always equal a goal? Why does the shootout/penalty shots feel so artificial? Why can't you poke check without drawing a tripping penalty? Why is hitting so overpowered? Why do 90% of the players look nothing like themselves? Why are we not using the real NHL coaches? Why are the legends/alumni seemingly so random instead of using the best players from each team? If we are doing alumni, can't we have Stanley Cup teams or authentic period jerseys? Why can't we have authentic goal songs and goal horns? Why is the arena presentation so dead - no pre/post-game commentary, no realistic levels of opposing team fans based on rivalries, no home team goals being announced with more fan fare like in a real arena?

For Franchise mode: Why does free agency/the trade deadline feel so boring and inconsequential? Why is there no more All-Star game? Why is there no more Winter Classic or a Stadium Series? Why can't we retire numbers or raise banners for championships/division wins?

Why does Be a Pro mode feel so dead compared to franchises like the NBA's 2K and NFL's Madden series?

NHL 20's saving grace is that generally, the game is still fun. It is still fun to load up your favorite team and your favorite players and play some hockey. Franchise mode, HUT, & World of Chel are all enjoyable game experiences, and they all have been for several years (despite most of them being hampered down by play to win/lootboxes). But EA needs to do something to give people a new reason to continue buy this game instead of putting out the exact same game with a roster update year after year.
  6. Sep 13, 2019
    NHL2 0 released for early access on Sept. 5, 2019 and officially dropping on Sept. 13, 2019, it’s finally time for fans to get an idea of exactly what NHL 20 is and that it's definitely worth the purchase. EA Sports made a huge leap with NHL 19 when they introduced RPM Tech 1.0. In NHL 20, they stepped it up a notch with RPM Tech 2.0. Goalies are also more effective when it comes toNHL2 0 released for early access on Sept. 5, 2019 and officially dropping on Sept. 13, 2019, it’s finally time for fans to get an idea of exactly what NHL 20 is and that it's definitely worth the purchase. EA Sports made a huge leap with NHL 19 when they introduced RPM Tech 1.0. In NHL 20, they stepped it up a notch with RPM Tech 2.0. Goalies are also more effective when it comes to cutting off angles and preventing rebounds. You will see the occasional juicy rebound if you force a goaltender into desperation. The feel in-game in NHL 20 is as good as it’s ever been. The game feels smoother than previous versions of EA’s NHL franchise and because of this, it inherently feels fast. This is a very big plus for NHL 20 and any future sports title as it means that EA is starting to hone in on their RPM technology in a way that feels authentic to hockey’s real-life counterpart. Whether it’s the way skating feels, passing and shooting works compared to past years and even goaltender tendencies, NHL 20 hit the mark in just about every conceivable way this time around. The skating looks and feels good much like NHL 19, but the shooting and puck pickups make for a very invigorating experience. Gone are the days when your player throws a dribbling backhand shot on goal when you intended for them to take a wrist shot. Gone are the days when your player gets locked into an animation when picking up a loose puck or receiving a pass. I’ll start this off by admitting that I am a huge fan of Franchise Mode. It’s the first game mode I hop into when an NHL game is released. The updates they made in this regard are superb.EA finally added a coaching staff to the mode, which has been a staple in other sports games such as Madden NFL. They also added pre-draft interviews that can unlock crucial information about a player before you draft them, including personality traits, their skillset, and NHL readiness. If you’re a fan of the NHL franchise, this is definitely worth the pick-up as it is certainly the best title in the series to date so time to ice off that Xbox one! Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2019
    I only play be a pro and gm modes. Neither was really upgraded just made more tiresome. Turned off autosave for gm mode so that I could keep meticulous back ups. Game autosaved anyway, overwriting and destroying nearly 15 hours worth of gameplay with them. Dont offer no autosave as an option if it isnt optional. Horribly dissapointed. Uninstalled and wont be playing again. Waste of $60.
  8. Sep 14, 2019
    If you played any of the past 5 iterations of this game you played NHL 20. It's all funneled to make you buy packs in HUT with very, very little in terms of new additions. Same game with the same old issues, slow simulation and menu times and the hated cross crease passes that are guaranteed goals are back. Animations are nice, smoother puck pick up works most of the time but coaches areIf you played any of the past 5 iterations of this game you played NHL 20. It's all funneled to make you buy packs in HUT with very, very little in terms of new additions. Same game with the same old issues, slow simulation and menu times and the hated cross crease passes that are guaranteed goals are back. Animations are nice, smoother puck pick up works most of the time but coaches are more of a headache than they are worth and literally nothing else has changed. Sure they brought in "line chemistry" but it's something we had before they abandoned. Time to take this franchise to the chopping block and rebuild it. Major revamps to GM and Be a Pro are needed, more accurate face scans and finally the inclusion of more leagues and development programs. At this point most of us who buy year after year are jaded customers who are praying without any hope EA might be able to deliver a decent hockey game but i'd have better odds if I bet on the Leafs to offer me a contract than EA making a good hockey game. Bright side is at least they spice up the UI every year right guys? Expand
  9. Sep 14, 2019
    NHL 20 is by far an improvement over 19, one of the big things is your team's AI are a lot more switched on, they defend, attack the puck, big kudos for that. The overall game play is better more control over your player. The addition of squad battles awesome enough for me anyway as i mainly play that mode and Chel. I have been playing solid a week before retail release via ea access, forNHL 20 is by far an improvement over 19, one of the big things is your team's AI are a lot more switched on, they defend, attack the puck, big kudos for that. The overall game play is better more control over your player. The addition of squad battles awesome enough for me anyway as i mainly play that mode and Chel. I have been playing solid a week before retail release via ea access, for me the best version for a long time Expand
  10. Sep 13, 2019
    It is far from perfect, but has a lot of potential. Gameplay has improved a lot. Be a Pro needs a little bit more of love.
  11. Nov 13, 2019
    It's the best it has been in a long while. The additon of coaches is a cool idea but could need some work. Gameplay does feel a lot better too. As someone who never plays HUT I found myself diving in. I'm yet to spend a penny after many hours and mainly stick to the single player mode.
  12. Jul 2, 2020
    EA needs to put more content in. Update Be A Pro with a story and more dynamic commentary spotlighting your success etc. GM connected. Roster sharing. Better UI UX. BUT the gameplay is good and Franchise Mode is deep and fun. We need something special in the end of a GM's career tho. The ability to set your own sliders is why I keep playing.

I don't even touch HUT or any online mode so

I don't even touch HUT or any online mode so I won't include it in my rating.
  13. Jun 14, 2020
    STOP. BUYING. PACKS. If you got this game for free, you still would not enjoy it. I just finished playing for an hour or two, and all I want to do is punch one of those smug EA execs in the face repeatedly. This isn’t fun, it’s torture, and the “AI” will see to it that you have the smallest amount of fun possible. You don’t control the pace of the game with your play, the computer decidesSTOP. BUYING. PACKS. If you got this game for free, you still would not enjoy it. I just finished playing for an hour or two, and all I want to do is punch one of those smug EA execs in the face repeatedly. This isn’t fun, it’s torture, and the “AI” will see to it that you have the smallest amount of fun possible. You don’t control the pace of the game with your play, the computer decides what type of game you’ll play every single time. I hate this game. But love hockey. And that’s what EA keeps capitalizing on. STOP SUPPORTING THIS DUMPSTER FIRE OF A GAME, they should be paying us to play this nonsense. Expand
  14. Oct 16, 2019
    My initial review and opinion has changed on this game. Some of the fine tuning and changes they've made over the last few updates having given me hope and breathed life into this game again for me. Keep it up, vastly improved than when it first arrived.
  15. Dec 23, 2019
    same game year after year- while waiting for NHL 21. don't buy this junk pile
  16. Feb 7, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nhl 20 is a great game, probably the hockey game I’ve played. The oldest game I have is NHL 2k and this is way better. The addition of Ones Now is great cause I don’t play online he much. Overall, I would tottering recommend it. Expand
  17. Feb 8, 2020
    No improvement on any other iteration of the game. Dave your money and buy an earlier year
  18. Aug 27, 2020
    Shallow game with little improvements each year. Bad ai but getting better I guess. One thing the game gets right is implementing a skill gap. How the skill gap is achieved though is heinous.
  19. Aug 30, 2020
    Same crap as last year, you cant even play as an NHL team if tou drop in eashl, you get to play on the same pond in alaska dressed as an hobo, wow did i buy Hockey Pond 20 or NHL 20??? They just want to milk you like a cow with hut and cosmetics, its just plain awful
  20. Aug 31, 2020
    Nothing has changed fundamentally on this series in a long long time. Try finding a drop in game any hour for any day of the week. You cannot find a full team ever. One aside maybe two and that is at peak playing times on weekends. Just like everyone else I am done. #NHLDROPEA
  21. Sep 4, 2020
    The game is fun and addictive... yet bare.

The game is fun and addictive... yet bare.

Overall, this is a game I must have in my library. I play it hours in a day. When I can't find something to play, I load up and drop the puck. I reject microtransactions. I refuse to buy fake cards to use in a game mode then have to re-buy next year. The game is fun, yet bare. Yes you can drop the puck and gloves and snipe those bardowns and your opponent's face the same but its bare. In Be A Pro mode you play, sim training... sim to next game..play and repeat. Where is the innovation? Add in building chemistry with line-mates! If my created character is on a line with Connor McDavid, have Connor "call" me (in game obviously) and invite me to practice with him to build cheistry with him and/or other line-mates. Allow me to "call" other players and workout with them and that helps my character learn new skills, improve skills and gain morale with teammates and players across the league. You can innovate like this. In One's mode put a freaking goalie unlock tree in there! Put a tournament in it for offline mode to unlock players/characters. Put a "From the Ground Up" mode in the game. Where you start as a kid playing on the streets and dream of making it to the NHL. Put fun modes like street hockey in the game. Similar to NFL Street (Remaster NFL Street!!!) Have fun and put some passion and love into the game, instead of the mail-in efforts and shallow features. One's Now is a fun game mode that was a beloved surprise.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 26, 2019
    NHL 20 on Xbox One is a great hockey game with advanced physics, new exciting and engaging game modes, better transitions and replays and finally some new commentators; it really is EA’s best hockey game yet.
  2. Oct 1, 2019
    Not that fans of the NHL have any other choice if they want an up to date representation of their sport of choice, but NHL 20 is a great pickup. Even if you aren’t a huge hockey fan there is a lot to love here, and the ability to simplify the controls ensures that everyone can have fun even if they aren’t all that knowledgeable with respect to the sport. The new multiplayer modes are fun and the customization options added to CHEL make for a pretty good reward for playing. If you’ve ever enjoyed playing a hockey game, it’s worth checking this one out. If you love the sport, it’s pretty much a must buy.
  3. Sep 30, 2019
    NHL 20 keeps on improving its formula both in terms of modes variety and gameplay, with an high authenticity and fluidity which makes us almost feel like we're there on the ice swapping blows with our opponents.