7.7

1. Nov 25, 2018
    I played Observer with no idea of what to expect. It thankfully equated to a memorable and enjoyable experience. The cyberpunk aesthetic is done brilliantly, creating an immersive environment that is a joy to explore, even with the game's slow pace. Although the games world is only small in size, its detail and narrative focus allows for an expansive look at the world that the developersI played Observer with no idea of what to expect. It thankfully equated to a memorable and enjoyable experience. The cyberpunk aesthetic is done brilliantly, creating an immersive environment that is a joy to explore, even with the game's slow pace. Although the games world is only small in size, its detail and narrative focus allows for an expansive look at the world that the developers have created. Each character you meet is different and offers dialogue worthwhile exploring.

The gameplay is my main gripe however, which is a lot of slow walking, with little tension to provoke much emotion, and basic, uninspired puzzles. I really liked the additional mini game found on terminals though. I also found the points where you "observed" someones consciousness/memories to be quite laborious, where they were so flooded with visual ideas, it gave me a headache. The frame rate issues didn't help.

For the interesting narrative and setting alone, the game is worth playing. Its certainly immersive. I just wish everything within this setting functioned better.
  2. Jan 22, 2021
    Very atmospheric and offers a different style of play for a 1st person game. If this game had less problems on base Xbox one with stuttering and low fps, I'd have given it a 9/10. I am still waiting for a patch. Graphics 9/10, Audio 9/10, Game-play 8/10, Loading: 8/10
  3. Aug 17, 2017
    Observer
    Slow start but a great finish
    Observer is an about 6 and a half hr long cyberpunk styled psychological horror game where you play as detective Daniel Lazarski investigating an apartment building after he gets a call from his son adam, you spend the rest of the game trying to find out exactly what happened to your son and to the other murdered victims in this building.. This
    Observer
    Slow start but a great finish
    This game is developed by the same team that made one of my most favorite horror games of all time layers of fear, so I was extremely excited to try this one out
    and admittedly I was very disappointed in the games first half…
    The first half to me felt like a door to door salesman simulator..
    youre just knocking on door after door until someone answers and you interrogate them to help you progress through the game
    Youre finding codes and throwing switched to access different areas and youll eventually find yourself investigating a crimescene, there are computers around with mini games within the game as well as documents to get you deeper into these characters, but this is where you do batman style scanning of the items at the crime scene trying to figure out exactly what happened to the victim
    but you can take getting information a step further
    you play as an observer.. youre able to plug into minds and see a distorted reality of your target to get answers buried deep in their conscious and subsconsious through a chip they have in their head, which is found by scanning them..
    these moments arewhere the game becomes great,
    a lot of puzzles and mind tricks and survival horror , shifting rooms much like the layers of fear games…
    and each one offers an intriguing and unique experience, stopping it from feeling repetitive like the investigator part of the game
    I didn’t necisarily find this game to be scary, but its definitely unsettling..
    and once you reach the end of that characters story things are blurry and you have to take a pill… this happens as you wander around the building for too long as well..
    im not really sure the point of this mechanic.. its just makes the game ugly, choppy, and hard to look at.. but it’s a thing and you have to look for these pills around the rooms.. but then youre back to being a door to door salesman..
    until finally youre not anymore..
    theres one final door to door section underground which is where I ran into the only bug during my play time where the night vision wouldn’t click off, thankfully this was fixed by backing out into the menue and coming back into the game…
    but the 2nd half of the game is very linear and is like one giant chunk of the mind hacking stuff and its great..
    shifting rooms, illusions, questions, answers, monsters…
    I much preferred going through these mind bending moments that made me fall in love with layers of fear so much…
    I was worried with the initial direction the game was taking, but the brilliant story telling pulled me through to the good stuff
    Who knows, maybe you end up liking the door to door stuff and finding codes and investigating areas..
    I didn’t.. and if you don’t I promise you that its definitely worth getting through the slow drag of the games first half and dealing with all of its knocking on doors, puzzles and switches to get to its 2nd half..
    Bloober Team delivers again with a great psychological horror experience
    I give Observer
    a 7.5/10
  4. Aug 20, 2017
    Been a while since I was so disappointed in a game, and feel it necessary to write a review - my first - in opposition to all the positivity it seems to have garnered, so strongly do I feel it's undeserved. Honestly, I am at a loss as to how it's gotten so much praise.

Speaking solely for the Xbox One version, there are times when Observer is nigh on unplayable. The frame rate is often jarring, and there are constant freezes and stutters. Anything beyond a few feet is fuzzy and out of focus. Several doors literally took a few minutes to even open - so much so that I Initially thought I wasn't supposed to be going through them. The game glitched at one point, causing me to spend a good 15mins trying to work out what I was supposed to do, before resorting to a walkthrough - something I despise - only to discover the only way to proceed was to reload the game. Added to this, it also crashed a little after this.

Technical issues aside, the hacking into people's memories was initially fun...but Blooper Team purposely decided to put all these graphical glitches in, to the point that they become, to my mind, the absolute worst part of the game. With each and every hack, it becomes an absolute chore trying to work out where to go and just what the hell you're supposed to actually be doing. Especially when the screen is shaking and these glitches are obscuring vast chunks of the screen. Truly starts to feel overly protentious.

The games is not completely without positives. Indeed, if not for the intriguing narrative, and setting, there's no way I would have made it through to the end. I adore Blade Runner, and there's a slight nod to that here, but nowhere near as much as I was hoping, though Rutger Hauer does a fine job. And all in all, the absolute slog to get to the end leaves me wishing I hadn't spent so much on the game. Indeed, the sole reason for feeling compelled to write a review is to warn others that, on Xbox One at least, this game feels thoroughly unfinished and, even at half the price, would be too much. Truly feel fairly appalled that a game can ship in this state, and Blooper Team have the cheek to ask for so much money. And I am absolutely mystified at the high scores it's been getting. At the very least, please check out a stream or two before investing in this thoroughly disappointing and underwhelming experience.
  5. Aug 16, 2017
    As soon as I realised this game was made by some polish developers I got curious. By experience most developers from Eastern Europe always care a lot for a unique style, story and atmosphere and luckily I was not disappointed. A dystopian horror adventure with great character and a likeable protagonist! Sadly performance isn't that great but ok for such a game.
    Do me a favour...watch the
    Do me a favour...watch the first hour or so in a let's play...if you like what you see buy it! Small developers who dare to bring us experiences like that deserve to be supported!
  6. Oct 30, 2017
    So far it feels like a door knocking simulator with graphical anomalies that are part of the immersive experience. I like cyberpunk, I don't like graphical glitches. Maybe I just didn't get far enough.
  7. Jan 3, 2018
    I loved Layers of Fear and had no trouble playing it on the Xbox One. This game although well acted and with an intriguing story is a nightmare to play. I don't know if I can persevere to complete it as it is torture to play. I seem to be one of very few who feel this way but I am struggling to find any fun in this game. I will struggle on for a time and may have to eat my words if II loved Layers of Fear and had no trouble playing it on the Xbox One. This game although well acted and with an intriguing story is a nightmare to play. I don't know if I can persevere to complete it as it is torture to play. I seem to be one of very few who feel this way but I am struggling to find any fun in this game. I will struggle on for a time and may have to eat my words if I manage to finish it but just wanted to warn others that some of us HATE this game. The score is for the great acting alone, otherwise it would probably get a 2. Expand
  8. Dec 10, 2018
    The game had a good premise and looked like something I would enjoy. For example, I thought Soma had a decent story but mediocre gameplay and a slow first half. I thought Outlast 2 had decent horror but still was just a ok/good game. This game has cyberpunk and dystopia, but the gameplay is pretty atrocious. It absolutely definitely feels like a 20-year-old game, warts and all. I gave itThe game had a good premise and looked like something I would enjoy. For example, I thought Soma had a decent story but mediocre gameplay and a slow first half. I thought Outlast 2 had decent horror but still was just a ok/good game. This game has cyberpunk and dystopia, but the gameplay is pretty atrocious. It absolutely definitely feels like a 20-year-old game, warts and all. I gave it enough time to see if I would like it, but it was too much time, honestly. It was simply boring and reading the summary of the story was more than enough to escape the poor gameplay. Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2018
    L'indé foiré du mois est avec la voix de Rutger Hauer (en VO évidemment) dans la peau d'un enquêteur nano-psycho-"observer" qui cherche son fils disparu... On pense à Blade Runner (évidemment) mais à part l'ambiance cyberpunk, on est ici dans un mauvais trip sous acide qui n'a pas grand-chose à voir...

C'est surtout un jeu d'épouvante dans un monde cyberpunk dégradé et malsain à forte tendance schizophrène avec des tas de filtres agressifs et bidons qui rendent le jeu très désagréable à parcourir... Le sommet est atteint dans le mauvais goût à cet égard lorsqu'on pirate la puce neurale d'un témoin ou d'une victime : s'ensuivent alors des effets psychédéliques et psychotiques qu'on doit explorer ou résoudre (?), le tout dans un environnement sonore extrêmement glauque.

Ces surcouches d'effets bizarroïdes nuisent à la lisibilité d'un jeu à la jouabilité lente et confuse, pour ne pas dire absconse. C'est en outre graphiquement à la masse et ça tourne comme une patate sur la console ; c'est souvent le cas à dire vrai avec le moteur Unreal 4 absolument pas maîtrisé du tout par les **** développeurs indés à la petite semaine. Aliasing, flou omniprésent, textures baveuses, saccades récurrentes, rien ne va.

C'est dommage, car l'idée de départ était sans doute intéressante, au moins en tant que concept... mais c'est bricolé par des Polonais qui n'y sont pas allés de main morte sur l'anti-gel... et tout ce qui est polonais n'est pas CD Projekt Red, loin s'en faut... J'irai néanmoins jusqu'à 1. Pour l'effort.
  10. Dec 24, 2019
    The interesting thing about Observer is that, in theory, I really like it: you play as a detective or "observer" with mind hacking and augmented vision to analyze your surroundings. The Observer is voiced by the late Rutger Hauer who is tasked with solving a murder case and it's all done against a Bladerunner-esque backdrop.

In practice however, it's just a baffling experience. The

In practice however, it's just a baffling experience.

The game world is well done and has a fantastic atmosphere. It's a dark, dystopian, cyberpunk style where the events of the game feel like it would be going on in the background of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game. It ultimately left me wanting to see more of the world, beyond just the apartment complex that the game is largely set in. The game also nails it in the horror department. Between dismembered and eviscerated bodies, it's dark and gloomy atmosphere and other grotesque scenes, Observer clearly understands horror.

The investigative/crime solving mechanics are pretty rudimentary. It's just a matter of cycling between your two augmented vision modes and waiting for a clue to light up which allows you to scan and analyze it.

The mind hacking part is where the game really loses me, which is unfortunate, since that's a decent chunk of the core gameplay loop. They're incredibly trippy and obtuse sequences that are just really tedious after a bit. It reeks of style over substance.

The game's frame rate is also pretty up and down. Sometimes it runs buttery smooth, other times it drops below 30fps and just chugs along. The game is also on the shorter side in terms of run time and can really only be experienced once.
  11. Jun 21, 2020
    •The main thing in this game that makes it original is the whole super weird dream sequence things that barely make sense. I can’t really say I enjoyed them all the time, especially when they made it a puzzle or a challenge. I kinda wanted the game to just be a thing you experience and not fully engage in, as stupid as that sounds given it’s a game. That wasn’t originally something I•The main thing in this game that makes it original is the whole super weird dream sequence things that barely make sense. I can’t really say I enjoyed them all the time, especially when they made it a puzzle or a challenge. I kinda wanted the game to just be a thing you experience and not fully engage in, as stupid as that sounds given it’s a game. That wasn’t originally something I wanted but
    frankly I didn’t much enjoy playing the actual game part. Kinda just wanted to see things happen because the story is pretty engaging.
    •And on that note, the story is good I’d say? I can’t say I saw where it was going, so I enjoyed not knowing what could happen next, and the plot actually moved forward in a cool direction I’d say. I mean the ending wasn’t particularly satisfying, but yeah it was still good.
    •The characters, Daniel included, were also pretty good I’d say. I mean I almost feel as if none of them felt that fleshed out with one spoilery exception. And that’s weird considering the fact that you dive into people’s memories and **** but you never really get to know anyone, Daniel included. His personality almost seems in constant flux, the only constant being that he cares enough for his son that he wants to find and save him if he can despite how dangerous the situation becomes. And that’s fine I guess but the story was interesting enough that caring about the characters would’ve added a lot I think. Part of this though is the tenants and all the conversations were pretty good actually, even though you saw like none of them.
    •The voice acting is very good. Daniel’s voice is sorta weird but you get used to it, and the voice actor did a good job either way.
    •The sound design is excellent. That’s about all I gotta say about that other than it made the scary **** pretty effective.
    •The side missions/ optional cases are weird. None of them feel like they have a decent resolution except maybe one, but even then that **** was just weird. I liked them, even if they were few and insignificant.
    •So it’s mostly a psychological horror game more than anything I’d say. And I think it succeeds more than it doesn’t. It made me feel pretty uncomfortable at times, but I can’t remember ever feeling very scared. Confused pretty often though. Most of the horror bits annoyed me a bit though, because it came from how abstract everything in the memories were. It was just so damn weird all the time. And with that I honestly didn’t even want to do the memory thing anymore after a certain point.
    •I’ll admit I was disappointed when I realized the apartment building was basically the only place you go in the game. I figured it would have levels or something, where the mystery takes you to a few places. It ended up being more than I thought, but I still just feel like it wasn’t enough. And the memory sequences were kinda mostly you walking around apartment rooms, but they’re weird. And when they weren’t apartment rooms they were hallways or annoying abstract sections. So yeah.
    •My favorite part of the game probably was the detective sorta sections where you’re analyzing crime scenes. It wasn’t fleshed out too much but I enjoyed that stuff, seeing the different pieces of the environment through two lenses. Pretty cool stuff. And there was a decent amount of it. I’d probably really like a game centered around this concept.
    •It didn’t always run that well, froze and stuttered a bunch, and even crashed once.
    •There was this game on computers you could find, never bothered with it aside from once. Wasn’t impressed, but maybe it got better.

Overall:
    I think it needs to be said I found it difficult to enjoy the sections in this game where you’re actually playing it. That’s such a huge detriment because at that point the story is just about the only thing to enjoy in the game, and that isn’t too great either. Not saying it’s bad at all, but still I didn’t enjoy that aspect immensely either. The game is still pretty good, but I’m not sure I could recommend it to anyone.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 2, 2018
    The gameplay elements may be basic and not exciting on their own, but it’s more about the journey you undertake rather than just reaching the end point. The level design is brilliant and some of the experiences are very memorable even though it has flaws. If you’re into the cyberpunk genre and want to experience something completely unique and twisted, look no further than >observer_.
  2. Sep 6, 2017
    Bloober Team’s latest is one of the scariest horror experiences I’ve played in a long time, and its strong sense of place, story, and action put it above the majority of other games in the genre. Observer is simply the best of both worlds and is a must-play for anyone who considers themselves a fan of either sci-fi or horror.
  3. Sep 5, 2017
    The masterful performance of Rutger Hauer and the limitless creativity for terror and artistic design shown by Bloober Team, makes this production stand out from the mundane, despite its erratic frame rate (in some occasions) and the basic challenges posed by the title.