7.2

1. Apr 2, 2019
    Once you get the hang of the combat in Outward you’ll find that there’s quite amount of depth present and winning a battle delivers a nice level of satisfaction. The RPG genre is a genre that’s crowded by many great offerings and some not so wonderful ones as well. Outward is far from a bad seed and the co-op play brings that level of fun to entire new level. When first getting use to theOnce you get the hang of the combat in Outward you’ll find that there’s quite amount of depth present and winning a battle delivers a nice level of satisfaction. The RPG genre is a genre that’s crowded by many great offerings and some not so wonderful ones as well. Outward is far from a bad seed and the co-op play brings that level of fun to entire new level. When first getting use to the game you will require a level of patience to get used to because I found myself dying repeatedly until I was able to get a handle on what I was doing wring. Lot's of open word to discover and enjoy, without a fast travel option though, can make the world seem overly large or grinding to get where you want to get to next. Outward is a game that does offer some quality fun and memorable moments but it also suffers with a few glitches as well as a few unusual design choices, which I feel do hold it back somewhat. I think this game you will put the time in to learn and love it or be turned off by some of the issues I mentioned from a bit of the frustration brought by the learning curve.. If you take the time and have the patience to get comfortable with the game, you will definitely enjoy it in my opinion. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2019
    Truly, this game is a diamond in the rough. With the bad taste left by Fallout 76 and Anthem (debatable) Outward is the knight in shining armor coming to save the day! Ironic given how you aren't the hero. I really do love this game and cannot wait to see what Nine Dots will be up to next.

Pros: Hard, but rather fair combat that will appeal to fans of action games or dare I Souls-borne, beautiful art style, a sense of exploration reminiscent of Breath of the Wild, robust crafting system, interesting survival mechanics that add to the game without making it tedious.

Cons: Literally only the fact that the graphics are subpar by AAA standards, but come on, graphics do not mak-eth the game.

Conclusion: A lot of critics have been doing their job and criticizing this game, but it feels rather unfair to do this. Sure the graphics may not be up to date, and it may have a collection of bugs, but it was released yesterday. Just look at what happened to the Witcher 3. It released with a slew of bugs but people gave it a chance and it became one of the best RPG's of all time. So give Outward a chance. It really is a deep, immersive, RPG that brings back memories of Gothic, Risen, and Fable with a bit of Morrowind in there. I really think that this has the possiblity to be big but it justs needs people to have an open mind. And no, the game is not empty to all who say that. Adventure isn't going to be every 50 meters like in Skyrim. But when you do find it, the rewards are sublime.
  3. May 13, 2019
    RPG innovador y de la vieja escuela al mismo tiempo. Recuerda un poco a los Elder Scrolls, Dragon's Dogma y ciertos matices de Dark Soul. Lo más interesante es la posibilidad de jugarlo completamente en co-op (cooperativo online o local con pantalla dividida). Creado por un pequeño grupo de desarrolladores. El reparto gráfico no es su fuerte (bastante pobre comparado con títulos AAA queRPG innovador y de la vieja escuela al mismo tiempo. Recuerda un poco a los Elder Scrolls, Dragon's Dogma y ciertos matices de Dark Soul. Lo más interesante es la posibilidad de jugarlo completamente en co-op (cooperativo online o local con pantalla dividida). Creado por un pequeño grupo de desarrolladores. El reparto gráfico no es su fuerte (bastante pobre comparado con títulos AAA que cuentan con altos presupuestos) pero aun así logra de alguna manera ser un juego 'agradable' a la vista gracias a sus colores y a sus atardeceres. Aunque los numerosos bugs pueden llegar a ser frustrantes, los desarrolladores trabajan constantemente para crear nuevos parches y ya han arreglado una buena parte de estos. Lo estoy jugando en PS4 Pro y en XBOX One X y debo decir que en la XBOX One X va un poco mejor, los tiempo de carga son algo mas cortos y las texturas están mejor logradas (aunque después del último parche 1.05 las texturas de la PS4 han mejorado bastante). La música, aun siendo algo repetitiva, es excelente. La exploración y las mecánicas 'survival' lo convierten en un juego muy adictivo. Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2019
    This game its just another proof that games made with passion and a dedicated team makes all the diference!
    The graphics seens outdated, the combat system isnt the best but dam everything else is just perfect! No land marks to quests, no glowing dots on the npcs with quests, no gps on the map, its just you and your sense of adventure! You fell the effort to get your character stronger and obtain new skills and its rewarding as it sounds.
    Hope some triple A studios learn something with this game, anyway 10/10
  5. Mar 26, 2019
    Juegazo de la vieja escuela.
    RPG a la altura de los grandes, aqui debes estar atento a todo. Desde el frio, el hambre, la carga, hasta debes dejar la mochila pesada en el suelo para combatir. Exploracion, centenas de enemigos, lugares...un RPG con un apartado de diseño espectacular y una jugabilidad de 10.
    Juegazo de la vieja escuela.
    La prensa no hablará de él porque no hay dinero para publicidad, y solo se mueven por dinero. Pero es una obra maestra.
  6. Mar 26, 2019
    You don't need incredible graphics to make a good game. This by the way is an amazing game.
    There is no hand holding, it is quite difficult as well. But the number 1 reason to get this? FRIGGEN SPLITSCREEN COUCH CO-OP Number 2? No buying items in game with real world cash/ no loot boxes. If anything, get this game to play that, have put 3 hours into the co-op mode and it is just about the most fun I have had in years.
    It is funny how a game with dated graphics, and made by a team of 10 people invokes the same enjoyment of exploration that only Breath of the Wild was able to do so well.
  7. Mar 26, 2019
    Absolutely lovely title!

Definitely one of the best adventuring simulator on the market, it is harsh, it is fair, it is pretty and there's lots and lots to do! It always manages to pique my sense of curiosity, there's always something I'm wondering about and something I want to do. Sure the world isn't extremely over-populated... but I believe that's part of the vision that sparked
    Absolutely lovely title!

Sure the world isn't extremely over-populated... but I believe that's part of the vision that sparked the creation of this game. Again, this is an adventure simulator... and part of an adventure, is seeking an adventure. In plain fields, in real life, there isn't a point of interest every 50 meters.

They take a few very interesting twist on well known game play elements (see Magic, Alchemy, etc.)

Sure there's a few frustrations here and there, and a few issues here and there, but overall I am so pleased with the title that I believe it deserves a well rounded 10/10.

Oh did I mentioned it has Drop In/Drop Out SPLIT-SCREEN COOP!?
  8. Mar 27, 2019
    Melhor RPG da década.

só tenho isso a dizer 75 characters é o caraiho, vai a merda
  9. Jul 9, 2019
    The best rpg I have played in a long time. This game is uniquely rewarding. It doesn't have awesome graphics or mind blowing combat but it will give you a memorable adventure if you persevere. And its co op. Online and splitscreen. So rare these days but most welcome.
  10. Jul 15, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decent split screen co-op games for adults are hard to find. If you like RPG's and don't want to play Lego games, give Outward a try. We've been playing the game in split screen co-op for a few weeks now and we've moved from total frustration to a sense of mild competency.

Outward has been a difficult, challenging, and ultimately engaging experience for us. We almost quit the game a few times in the middle, when the enemies were tough and our gear wasn't up to the punishment, but we're glad we continued as the monsters are diverse and amazing (Sand Shark?) and the atmosphere makes us feel like we are on a true adventure. The caves/dungeons are scary and have almost infinite variations. The player has to be selective in all aspects of the game, from choosing gear/skills, to setting up quick slots. You can't have it all here, so your choices really do matter.

There's a lot of flexibility for differing player styles. You can learn skills from many different trainers, allowing you to mix and match rogue, mage, warrior, hunter type abilities in one character. The tricky bit in Outward is the scarcity of resources. You can avoid monsters, but by doing so, you'll never acquire enough loot to buy that great armor or weapon you want.

Initially, the game is quite hard. You don't have enough space to carry back many items to sell, so this makes for annoying repetitive trudges back and forth to town to acquire silver. Although there is no leveling up, silver is the means for your character development as you will be using it to buy crafting ingredients, gear, and skills. Eventually, you are able to hold more stuff and find better equipment. As you become stronger, the enemies get harder.

After a while you get used to thinking about weather conditions, time of day, your compass, and your provisions before setting out. One thing that is really cool about Outward is the way they have built seasons, day/night, and weather changes into the game. It makes the experience feel more life like.

Sometimes I wish there were friendly characters here and there outside of towns. Just so you wouldn't know that everything that moves is a monster. And the game does crash sometimes on the Xbox, but because of the autosave feature, we are usually put back in the same location when we restart.

I really like the art. So much detail in the landscapes, dungeons, weapons and clothing. There are even weather conditions in the dungeons! There are only a handful of voice actors used in the game, but we've become rather fond of the different inflections they use to deliver their set lines.

Outward is a challenging game that builds up slowly. I wouldn't want more monsters in the open world as the ones that are there are quite tough. Navigating your way around both the open world environments and the interior buildings/dungeons is one of the most difficult parts of the game. Nothing comes easy in this game, but that is exactly why it is so satisfying when you do achieve a goal. Thanks to the Nine Dots team for a unique, immersive gaming experience!
  11. Jan 21, 2020
    Outward isn't a typical RPG. It's a world where you immediately get thrust into hardship. You awake with nothing but a debt that you have to pay before you're evicted from your home, (which is not that hard to get rid of). Aside from the main story of the game the most impressive part is the world building and various locations and creatures you can encounter. There's challenge andOutward isn't a typical RPG. It's a world where you immediately get thrust into hardship. You awake with nothing but a debt that you have to pay before you're evicted from your home, (which is not that hard to get rid of). Aside from the main story of the game the most impressive part is the world building and various locations and creatures you can encounter. There's challenge and intrigue around every corner on top of a few flawed although fun mechanics it forms a very enjoyable and cohesive gameplay loop. I hope to see more from this studio in the future and more outwardesque games, because I believe they have a good foothold of the game they're trying to create and with another iteration or two it could be a fantastic survival RPG. Expand
  12. Mar 28, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I strongly advise you avoid this game. I rarely ever leave negative reviews as I feel the hard work most developers put into games is worth something. However this particular pile of crap goes beyond the limit. The game is riddled with bugs and glitches, starts you off with an extremely difficult task, and then adds to it by taking everything from you at death. You are given 5 in game days to come up with 150 silver for a ridiculous debt, and if you make the mistake of dying everything you arent carrying is taken away from you including your home. For the record I've played skyrim at launch, I understand bugs and glitches, but for this game to be this old and still this problematic is ridiculous. I wish badly I could get a refund of the $40 I may as well have used as toilet paper. Buyer beware! Expand
  13. Apr 4, 2020
    Le puse onda. Pero el juego parece de play 1. Soy honesto. ..lo jugué 1 hora. Me dormi.
  14. May 16, 2020
    Full of bugs like games in the 90s, crazy bad UI. Its like that game had a budget of 300$ and was made by 3 people.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    May 22, 2019
    A tense and immersive adventure – but with one too many rough edges. [Issue#177, p.85]
  2. May 9, 2019
    If any time at all is spent on polishing up combat and the introductory segments of the game, then Outward could find itself in a much more favorable situation, but unless numerous patches or a sequel are in our future, then we may just have to accept this game for what it is: not great. That isn't to say that there isn't at all an audience for a game such as this. If you get off on diving into the unknown in a truly old-school way, only this time without an instruction manual, then you might consider giving Outward a try. Just don't say I didn't warn you.
  3. Apr 19, 2019
    Though filled with interesting ideas and mechanics, Outward is let down by poor combat, dated visuals, and performance issues.