7.7

1. Aug 21, 2019
    Remnant: From the Ashes is a Third-Person action shooter, survival game inspired by Dark Souls. In a post-apocalyptic future, overrun with deadly monstrosities, mankind has been nearly wiped out. You are one of the last remaining humans, set out to carve a foothold through the countless droves of enemies, and clear the way to rebuild. With randomly generated maps, and a random bossRemnant: From the Ashes is a Third-Person action shooter, survival game inspired by Dark Souls. In a post-apocalyptic future, overrun with deadly monstrosities, mankind has been nearly wiped out. You are one of the last remaining humans, set out to carve a foothold through the countless droves of enemies, and clear the way to rebuild. With randomly generated maps, and a random boss progression, every play-through is a new adventure. The games overall aesthetic is amazing, with rich detailed environments, and a soundtrack that holds you in the feeling. Remnant holds true to it's design concept of Dark Souls focused heavily on ranged combat. It's tough, enjoyably so, but tough, with randomly designated spawns, and random extra spawning designated as you progress. The game is wholly unpredictable, granting an new challenge around every corner or randomly cranking the fight up to 11 with a new wave of monsters in an already heated battle! The combat system is fantastically designed meticulous combat, with a near seamless ability to switch weapons or dodge, as your fighting off waves of tiny nuisances or towering abominations. The only place where the game seem to be lacking is in the story's drive and depth, but it accomplishes what it needs to. If you enjoy the feel of heavy precise combat, in an unforgiving setting, and nearly endless replay value from its randomized worlds and progression, then Remnant: From the Ashes is the game for you! Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2019
    Remnant: from the Ashes is a well executed game that doesn't break new ground but instead reformulates the best of souls like game play with a focus on ranged combat and competent melee combat. The story and lore in the game is well written with decent voice acting and a lot buried in files and diaries. Like From Software, you can choose to engage in the story and go deep or you can justRemnant: from the Ashes is a well executed game that doesn't break new ground but instead reformulates the best of souls like game play with a focus on ranged combat and competent melee combat. The story and lore in the game is well written with decent voice acting and a lot buried in files and diaries. Like From Software, you can choose to engage in the story and go deep or you can just float over the surface and get the general gist. The art sets a bleak tone which suits its post apocalyptic setting and the character models are decent with some character customization. Since it is third person over-the shoulder, the character customization is not all that meaningful.

The strongest part of Remnant is the game play in coop. It has the best of Gears (of War) and Dark Souls with tough situations. Some of the boss fights, in my opinion, need tuning, particularly for solo play. Playing solo requires one to be mostly perfect on normal, near perfect on hard and unerringly perfect on nightmare (on first play through) and the bar lowers significantly when playing in coop. It is obvious that the game is better tuned for two and three player groups than it is for solo play.

The random generation encourages additional playthroughs, especially since playing through once you will not have all the story elements or see all of the enemies, layouts, loot and bosses. Each players world is unique due to the variability of the game through a large amount of content and the use of random generation. It also encourages group play so one can see different zones and bosses and different layouts. The game also encourages and rewards exploration with hidden, meaningful secrets and loot.

For a $40 game with additional free content to be added in the future it is one of the best priced games available and well worth the price. Hopefully the gunplay used in Remnant will find its way into the upcoming Darksiders 4 with Strife's focus on guns - in my opinion it would be a perfect fit.
  3. Aug 20, 2019
    Great game. Highly recommended.
    It's a mix of Dark Souls + Darksiders with guns, as well as Division 2 and Diablo 3.
    Awesome gameplay and maps. Only expect it to bring you a tough challenge. It's more difficult than Dark Souls imo, except you coop. I find the coop Scaling interesting as well. Awesome. Buy it!
  4. Aug 20, 2019
    Do yourself a favor and don’t pass on this game! In a world where 90% of releases are targeting people’s wallets, and only care about monetization while making a serviceable game in the process with basically no heart and soul, this game is such a breath of fresh air. It has a crazy amount of content for only 40$ with no micro transactions in sight. It has a dark souls feel to it what withDo yourself a favor and don’t pass on this game! In a world where 90% of releases are targeting people’s wallets, and only care about monetization while making a serviceable game in the process with basically no heart and soul, this game is such a breath of fresh air. It has a crazy amount of content for only 40$ with no micro transactions in sight. It has a dark souls feel to it what with the check point system and respawning enemies, but calling it a souls like feels like under selling what it is. It’s truly unique with the ability to Reroll your world layout and have new bosses, side stories, weapons, and maps. Not to mention how much FUN the combat is. This is how replay-ability should be done and it’s just a really addicting and great time. We need more support for studios like this. Expand
  5. Aug 20, 2019
    How much more do I have to say it's dark souls with guns but it does need some work the multiplayer straight up did not work for me but still was able to beat the game in single player I enjoy the hell out of it
  6. Aug 20, 2019
    This is one of the best games I’ve found a couple of years. Been looking for a unique and challenging co-op for a while and Remnant hits all the marks and then some. I was excited when I saw the trailer but played all weekend with the preorder early access and could not be happier. It’s crazy and awesome.
  7. Aug 22, 2019
    This game is amazing! Definitely worth the price point and one of the best games I’ve played this year!! And if you’re reading this the guy that gave a ZERO because of camera angle, it’s the same camera angle as every other third person shooting game! If your character was in the center then the reticle would be way off center! My aiming is perfect for me and I LOVE this game! I hope thereThis game is amazing! Definitely worth the price point and one of the best games I’ve played this year!! And if you’re reading this the guy that gave a ZERO because of camera angle, it’s the same camera angle as every other third person shooting game! If your character was in the center then the reticle would be way off center! My aiming is perfect for me and I LOVE this game! I hope there is plenty DLC and a sequel coming in the future! BUY THIS GAME!!!! Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2019
    While this game does bear some similarities to Souls games (bonfires, estus flasks, looping maps, etc.), it has a lot of issues. The main issue being the quantity over quality approach the developers took in its encounter design.

You enter a new area in the open world, it will trigger a horde of visually uninspired trash that will rush screaming at you from every angle. Virtually every boss encounter is a single large enemy running around the map spamming high damage attacks at the player while a group of endlessly (and often instantly) respawning adds swarms them. The end result is that it does increase difficulty, it's just not engaging, or fun, and completely and utterly circumvents everything that makes the boss encounters in Dark Souls enjoyable.

Level design has a samey, copy/paste feel to it, and illustrates most if not all of the issues with procedural generation. The in-game map is terribly designed, not even allowing the player to view multiple levels/floors. Performance, at least on the Xbox One X, is not great, with the game suffering occasional periods of significant stutter (sub-20fps).

I give it a 6 because I am assuming the developers had limited time and resources with which to bring this game to market, and I respect the fact that they did so with no micro-transactions or intrusive monetization tactics. The core game mechanics have potential, and I feel that given sufficient time and polish, this game could wind up being fairly good. It's just not there right now.
  9. Aug 30, 2019
    Although sometimes it's painfully clear why this game retails at $40 rather than $60, there's so much to love. After an underwhelming intro section, the game really takes off. Weapons feel weighty, the perk/trait system is cool, and the visual/audio design of enemies is awesome. Overall a super original and accessible fusion of Souls + Looter Shooter. Highly recommended.
  10. Sep 13, 2019
    Great game, usual shooter/melee mechanics but from a third person view with upgrades for weapons and player skills along with new weapons/skills available for pickup and crafted from boss drops and various other methods throughout the game and at vendors, it can be played solo or co op with one or two other players, one difference from normal shooters however is that the maps are allGreat game, usual shooter/melee mechanics but from a third person view with upgrades for weapons and player skills along with new weapons/skills available for pickup and crafted from boss drops and various other methods throughout the game and at vendors, it can be played solo or co op with one or two other players, one difference from normal shooters however is that the maps are all generated for your session. If you join someone elses game then theirs will be different to your current session. This means that all the bosses you might encounter won't necessarily be on your playthrough so you have to either reset yours and playthrough again to complete all the weapons/mods or play on other players sessions. This in my opinion is a great idea, my only criticism of the game however is the difficulty, it seems to scale up with your level but always seems just that bit too difficult on your own with some bosses being infuriatingly difficult sometimes! This is just on easy level I would hate to see how difficult the higher difficulty levels are at this stage :D still its a fantastic game and well worth buying, its kind of like a cross between rogue like games and Dark Souls. Only reason i gave it a 9/10 was because of the slightly annoying difficulty at times, I like a challenge but when i keep getting my arse kicked every time on easy difficulty it gets a little tedious!
    Buy it though, particularly if you like challenging games!!
  11. Aug 23, 2019
    Remnant From The Ashes could be making a cheeky statement about the current dumpster fire state of the video game industry based on title alone, but probably not. What you do have is a budget title easily worthy of AAA price and status. I won't sit here telling you it's perfect as it has its share of issues, much of which I hope will be fixed with a day one patch. One often game breakingRemnant From The Ashes could be making a cheeky statement about the current dumpster fire state of the video game industry based on title alone, but probably not. What you do have is a budget title easily worthy of AAA price and status. I won't sit here telling you it's perfect as it has its share of issues, much of which I hope will be fixed with a day one patch. One often game breaking issue is the 1-5 frames per second you get after playing for a few hours and using a fast firing weapon like smg. This may just be a Xbox issue though. This frame rate issue has caused my game to crash and my co op buddy's Xbox to crash. Again, this will be fixed as Gunfire acknowledged the problem during the VIP weekend (patched). They also know about an issue where quest items like keys are lost when the host is dead when the keys drop thus halting your progression in the game. One common complaint revolves around how the majority of boss fights rely heavily on spawning ads in order to increase difficulty (and drop ammo) instead of bosses with mechanics designed to make their demise difficult. It's rarely a huge issues on Normal with some co op partners but it does seem cheap and annoying at times.

Enough of the negativity, what does Remnant do right? Pretty much everything else. The graphics are pretty impressive, the world design is interesting, the enemies are varied in their appearance, the shooting is satisfying in both feel and sound, and the loot system is fair. Ever play a game like Anthem or Destiny with a couple friends, they keep getting good drops and you get squat for hours on end? You won't have that problem here. Whatever loot a co op partner picks up goes to the entire group. Your bad luck will not curse you here. Now this isn't your typical Division looter shooter. You won't be picking up incrementally better garbage left and right, spending half your time playing an inventory management game. You may find a few amulets, rings, or weapons while exploring your different realms but you are guaranteed something like a mod or weapon when you kill a boss for the first time. Kill him a second time in a different way and you might get something else. Speaking of which, once you beat the campaign you will want to re-roll your world and do everything over again as your realms will potentially be different layouts with different loot, dungeons, bosses etc. Perhaps you will want to ramp up the difficulty a notch or two. Definitely something to consider as you will have a substantial amount of gear score and upgraded traits on your subsequent play through. Depending on skill level and how you made your character, you probably won't feel OP ever and the game will try to punish you often. Happy hunting.
  12. Oct 7, 2019
    Actually obsessed with this game! Its very fun and rewarding! The bosses are well thought out and the weapons are done very well! Hope dlc sizable dlc comes out for this!
  13. Aug 29, 2019
    Excellent game, and at $40 it’s a steal. I’ve payed $60 for a lot worse games (looking at you, Anthem). Surprisingly solid and responsive shooting mechanics tacked onto a challenging Souls-like experience with very well implemented Drop in Drop out Co-op. Randomly generated worlds encourage multiple playthroughs, I’m on my 4th and I’m still encountering new areas and enemies that I haven’tExcellent game, and at $40 it’s a steal. I’ve payed $60 for a lot worse games (looking at you, Anthem). Surprisingly solid and responsive shooting mechanics tacked onto a challenging Souls-like experience with very well implemented Drop in Drop out Co-op. Randomly generated worlds encourage multiple playthroughs, I’m on my 4th and I’m still encountering new areas and enemies that I haven’t seen before, lots of different enemy types with similar archetypes but enough variety to keep the combat feeling fresh. Boss battles are challenging, requiring you to learn the mechanics of the fight if you’re going to stand a chance of victory. The final boss in particular is one of my favorite boss battles in my gaming experience, with mechanics that would rival a Destiny raid boss and that ultra satisfaction when you finally walk away as the champion, it rivals Sword Saint Isshin from Sekiro. A lot of Souls fanboys are going to hate on the game just because their fragile egos can’t stand the thought of an accessible and fun game that is actually a blast to play with friends, I get it, muh prestige. Is it a Souls-like? Absolutely. Although I would put it at an entry level Souls-like experience, I could have used a little more punishment for death but for what it is it works. Post launch content will really be the biggest factor in this game’s longevity, with consistent updates and new content this game could be bigger and better than Destiny in the long run. I’m a huge Souls fan and I totally recommend this game to anyone who is looking for another challenging game to conquer or a great game to play with friends. Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2019
    К моему удивлению отличная игра. Смесь жанров. Тут тебе и соулс и шутер, причем шутерная состовляющая реализована очень даже хорошо. Инпакт от попадания ощущается на вісоком уровне. После почти недели игры стрелять из огнестрела все так же приятно. Босы аля бладборн. Не думайте что сможете одолеть наскоком с 3 раза. Спасает кооп. В двоем и батька бить легче. Графика... не могу сказать чтоК моему удивлению отличная игра. Смесь жанров. Тут тебе и соулс и шутер, причем шутерная состовляющая реализована очень даже хорошо. Инпакт от попадания ощущается на вісоком уровне. После почти недели игры стрелять из огнестрела все так же приятно. Босы аля бладборн. Не думайте что сможете одолеть наскоком с 3 раза. Спасает кооп. В двоем и батька бить легче. Графика... не могу сказать что она выдающаяся но она смотриться очень интересно и необычно, это тот случай когда разрабы минусы смогли максимально трансформировать в плюсы. Оптимизация на Xboxe one X по моему наблюдению стабильные 30 ФПС. Каких либо лагов, фризов или просадок ФПС не замечал. В общем если говорить о игре то она она по когнретным игровым механикам уступает. Бойовка а соулс играх лучше. Шутерная состовляющая в той же колде или дестини 2 лучше. Сюжет посредственный. Графика также не тянет на похвально, но!!!! В целом эта игра хороша, даже очень. В нее хочется возвращаться. Она не казуальная но и не гиперхардкорная как Секиро. Expand
  15. Aug 29, 2019
    This game is amazing. The shooting/melee mechanics are actually fun to use and playing with a party while not required is very fun. It would be nice if all player campaigns would progress together but multiple playthroughs are going to happen regardless so it is still beneficial. The frame rate on xbox one can tank sometimes but should be improved hopefully with optimization patches
  16. Aug 26, 2019
    This game does a great job bringing a dark souls type of experience to a 3rd person shooter. Fun boss weapons and little side secrets are just a few things they have taken from dark souls. The games combat is fun and enemy types vary by region. Not the greatest graphics but good enough. Boss fights are fun but my only gripe is they are all spawned with adds.
  17. Aug 23, 2019
    Excelente juego mezcla entre bloodburne y residente evil 4 sueñes experiencia estadísticas habilidades y buenas armas las cuales también se pueden modificar los gráficos están decentes y buenos efectos de luz
  18. Aug 30, 2019
    It’s just great. Played the whole game solo beat dark souls my now second favorite game
  19. Sep 7, 2019
    I love this game so much. The story, combat, progression, art, and roguelike elements blend perfectly. It's one of those few games that come along every now and then that I would say is a perfect value for the price being asked for. It sucks because I wanna give it a 10, but this game performs awfully on Xbox One, and from what I understand reading online it runs just as terribly on PS4I love this game so much. The story, combat, progression, art, and roguelike elements blend perfectly. It's one of those few games that come along every now and then that I would say is a perfect value for the price being asked for. It sucks because I wanna give it a 10, but this game performs awfully on Xbox One, and from what I understand reading online it runs just as terribly on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. My best friend can't even hit 60fps with a Ryzen 7, RX 570 combo. It's such a solid game but it has performance issues. Hopefully, they can get it running in a playable state on base consoles. Expand
  20. Oct 6, 2019
    A great indie game with a dark souls learning curve. The game flew under the radar but surprisingly caught the attention of gamers including myself. The gameplay is mimics dark souls type with guns adding common rpg elements (various gear with varying stats). Deciding which gear/weapons to use in different scenarios/areas gives good balancing, tactics, and strategy. Enemies & bossesA great indie game with a dark souls learning curve. The game flew under the radar but surprisingly caught the attention of gamers including myself. The gameplay is mimics dark souls type with guns adding common rpg elements (various gear with varying stats). Deciding which gear/weapons to use in different scenarios/areas gives good balancing, tactics, and strategy. Enemies & bosses look cool with unique features and characteristics to keep you on your toes. Leveling up is obtainable and doesn't feel like an endless meaningless grind. My only concern and flaw I feel the game has is being too short with not enough content upon release. There is replay value by re-rolling the game to spawn different bosses and obtaining different items but this is easily overcome by joining other players games with specific bosses and areas. An added plus, the developers are patching and updating with free dlc keeping the game thriving and I commend them for that. Expand

1. Sep 30, 2019
    If you take the time to learn its mechanics and grind for some gear, once it ‘clicks’, Remnant changes from a simple Souls-like game to a completely unique experience that I could hardly put down. It’s a shame that it released in the busy window that it did alongside some massive AAA games, as I’m sure it’ll get overlooked, but if you’re a Souldborne fan and want an entertaining co-op adventure with some friends, Remnant: From the Ashes should seriously be looked at. While I was almost ready to give up at one point, it’s a fantastic game once you learn its intricacies.
  2. Sep 16, 2019
    If you’re after a new RPG adventure, there are few titles besides a Dark Souls adventure that will keep you engaged quite like Remnant: From the Ashes.
  3. Sep 15, 2019
    Remnant is a cool co-cop TPS experience that is difficult for newcommers but really immersive, while offering great bossfights and an adaptative skill-system.