7.3

1. Sep 24, 2018
    The presentation side of the game is absolutely incredible and both the visuals and sound design had no faults within them whatsoever. I found the story to be amazing and not once did my interest dwindle because it was compelling throughout my time with the game. There is more than enough content to keep you satisfied for quite a while and without a doubt you will find the game veryThe presentation side of the game is absolutely incredible and both the visuals and sound design had no faults within them whatsoever. I found the story to be amazing and not once did my interest dwindle because it was compelling throughout my time with the game. There is more than enough content to keep you satisfied for quite a while and without a doubt you will find the game very difficult to put down. I loved tackling the challenge tombs because everything about them is intricate and unique and this of course made tackling them rewarding as well. Exploring in the game always felt rewarding because there is so much to collect and collecting all of the different items was always fun and exciting.
    There are different mechanics this time around and these different mechanics feel great and definitely add an extra dimension to the game. The gunplay could be a little better because it doesn’t always make an impact and it doesn’t always feel as responsive and fluid as it should. Rise of the Tomb Raider was my game of the year back in 2015 because everything about it was pretty much perfect and in my opinion it made Tomb Raider relevant and exciting again. As you can imagine then Shadow of the Tomb Raider was a game I was extremely looking forward to, and thankfully it didn’t disappoint. From the moment I started the game I fell in love with it because the game looks and sounds incredible and it immersed me right from the get go. This immersion didn’t dwindle either and that was thanks to the excellent story that accompanies the awesome visuals and sound design. You’ll also be pleased to know that the gameplay is also absolutely fantastic and the new mechanics that have been implemented make the game stand out even more. In terms of problems the game only has one in my opinion and that is the gunplay. This though is only a very small problem and everything else is basically perfect so I can’t recommend Shadow of the Tomb Raider enough. In fact it’s that good that this new Tomb Raider is once again going to be be my game of the year.
  2. Sep 12, 2018
    Simply the best adventure of Lara Croft so far. If you have played the previous ones, know that this is a great homage to the classics, in addition to following the tradition of quality that came with the reboot. Be sure to play!
  3. Oct 20, 2018
    Out of the last 3 games in the Tomb Raider reboot this is my favourite of the 3, i really enjoyed playing through it. I played on the Xbox One X and the graphics look brilliant. The sound is also good, very atmospheric. Some of the levels gave me a real nostalgic feel as they felt just like old Tomb Raider levels back in the 90's games. The feeling of squeezing my way through a tightOut of the last 3 games in the Tomb Raider reboot this is my favourite of the 3, i really enjoyed playing through it. I played on the Xbox One X and the graphics look brilliant. The sound is also good, very atmospheric. Some of the levels gave me a real nostalgic feel as they felt just like old Tomb Raider levels back in the 90's games. The feeling of squeezing my way through a tight cave to suddenly reach a big beautiful tomb surrounded by masses of open space and water wondering where on earth i have to start just reminded me so much of the old Tomb Raider games. However in this game you have choices on how to play. You can go old skool and not ask the game for help. Or you can ask the game to help and point you in the right direction. The choice is yours. You also have options to select how hard enemies are, puzzles are, way points are etc. You can set each of them up individually as you wish. For example. If you want hard puzzles and easy combat, you can select this. Or if you want easy puzzles and hard combat, you can select that too. Personally i set everything to just above medium and turned off all the navigational help and tips. These are real nice features to have. The gameplay is a good mix of tomb raiding and exploration like older games. There are also huge safe areas bristling with life where you can chat to all the locals, trade and sell equipment and ammo, clothes etc, or explore and find hidden trinkets and such. Or you can just ignore all that and go straight to your story missions. There are also some big action sequences like in the last 2 games. Some combat segments where you can use stealth or go in all guns blazing. Alot of under water segments in this one. Some beautiful open waters to real tight claustrophobic segments that make you panic. Everything is well spaced out throughout the game. You also have lots of extra challenge tombs along the way. These are basically side quests but they work well, especially if you like raiding and solving puzzles. Puzzles are also well done. While still not as hard as the original games, they are well done. And you can turn off all help and tips to make things harder for yourself. The story is also quite good and well done but i won't spoil that for you. Enemies are nice and varied. From leopards, piranhas, giant conger eels, various soldiers ranging from easy grunts to hardened soldiers with armour and better weapons than the easy grunts. There are also, i'm not sure what they are, kinda like mutated animal humans like in the movie The Descent. Pretty gruesome creepy, savage creatures. Quite a bit of the game has a dark and gruesome tone. And the atmosphere, sound and art direction play a big role in that. It is very well done. Then some levels are outright charming. Like getting to play Lara as a little girl at Croft Manor and meeting her parents. The only gripes i had with the game are minor. I don't like Camilla Luddington voicing Lara, because even though Camilla was born in Britain she was raised in America and has an American accent. Her British accent holds for the most part but sometimes her American accent slips through. It took me a little while to get used to the underwater controls. In the last game Lara had cool glow sticks when exploring and they looked brilliant in HDR. This time she has just a basic chest torch. It still looks good though. I just prefered the cool glow sticks. HDR is another thing that looks good here. Especially if you have an HDR premium TV. I encountered just 1 bug where a character Jonah lost both his arms for about a minute. I think this has since been patched now though. Quite surprised i only encountered 1 bug. Normally modern games have quite a few bugs that need to be ironed out. But Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a very polished game from start to finish. It took me a week to complete btw. Don't know how many hours as i wasn't clock watching, i was too busy enjoying the game. I played every night for a week though. Expand
  4. Oct 26, 2018
    Great Tomb Raider, Really Atmosphere based on the game, very envolvement. very good gameplay
  5. Sep 13, 2018
    Epic chapter to end the Reboot Trilogy, Shadow of The Tomb Raider returns in a dark way to face Lara's Evolution.
    Great Graphics, but the Sound Effects with Dolby Atmos is awesome. A must have you owns a Xbox One X.
  6. Sep 28, 2018
    Really well done, not too many mandatory gun fights which I personally find takes away from the Roots of Lara Croft. Story is very intriguing and the world is full of things for you to do (especially if you love hunting for collectibles). Not to mention it looks stunning ALL of the time.
  7. Nov 16, 2018
    Don't listen to the naysayers, this game is great and is a fitting conclusion to a great trilogy, I just finished the main story with 74% completion rating and at no point was I not enjoying the game.

Best story, though I admit I am a grimdark, best puzzles and best exploration. I do have to concede graphics to Rise, but that one was in a class of it's own. For the purposes of

Best story, though I admit I am a grimdark, best puzzles and best exploration.

I do have to concede graphics to Rise, but that one was in a class of it's own.

For the purposes of this review I played this on an X1X.
  8. Jan 17, 2019
    I pre-ordered Shadow of the Tomb Raider Croft Steelbook Edition and picked it up a few days before the release date of 9/14/18. I enjoyed it for about a week, then lost interest completely. It seemed like too much to do, it overwhelmed me, and it felt like a chore to collect everything in sight. Almost everything had an X to pick it up. The map was cluttered with soooo many collectiblesI pre-ordered Shadow of the Tomb Raider Croft Steelbook Edition and picked it up a few days before the release date of 9/14/18. I enjoyed it for about a week, then lost interest completely. It seemed like too much to do, it overwhelmed me, and it felt like a chore to collect everything in sight. Almost everything had an X to pick it up. The map was cluttered with soooo many collectibles and places to explore. Plus, it seemed like this game was 99% puzzles and exploration and very little combat. I needed something simple, scary and fun (with Halloween approaching) so I started playing Doom, some RE games and so on. A few days before Christmas I reluctantly decided to give SOTTR another shot, after all, I paid over $100 for it. Wow… I’m glad I did because what seemed like a chore and “too much” before turned into a massively fun and exciting game. The abundance of exploration and stuff to collect became fun and challenging. I liked the new mechanics and story. Today is 1/17/19 and I’m at 92%, and I’ve played it a lot since Christmas so that’s how much content there is. Not to mention all the DLC (extra tombs) that I keep getting due to having the season pass. Story-wise I’m at the point of no return that leads you to the final ending. I avoid finishing the story until I get everything else that I can possibly get.

My only big gripe are the outfits. There are many of them, maybe too many. Some give advantages, and some are just cosmetic without advantages. There’s a lot of reading involved to know what is what. It reminded me of the clothing perks in BioShock infinite. A lot of mixing and matching. There are 2 outfits that require a lot of jaguar fur and while I have fought a few jaguars in the story, I don’t have nearly enough jaguar fur to craft the remaining 2 outfits. I have searched for respawning jaguars in the open world but none respawn. This includes the areas marked on the map with the jaguar symbols indicating they should respawn, but thus far they haven’t. If these 2 outfits keep me from obtaining 100% like I achieved in the 1st 2 games, that will suck. But I’ll keep the faith that a couple of jag’s will respawn at some point, so I can finish up the outfits.

A small gripe is the lack of combat, but it picks up as you keep playing. I’d like to see a little more of it though, since there is a lot of upgrading weapons and such.

Do I recommend buying this game? Yes! Just hang in there and keep playing. I hope it wins many people over like it eventually did for me. There’s a ton of content and I’m having a blast! 9 out of 10…
  9. Sep 14, 2018
    I have played previous 2 games. Rise of the Tomb Raider was very good. But this one - this one is probably a perfection. It is if you combine what best from other games:
    - DeusEx stealth and attack planning mechanics
    - God of War mythology and ancient environment - Far Cry foliage density and precision - CoD WWII facial animation and cinematics - add good story on top - add excellent
    - DeusEx stealth and attack planning mechanics
    - God of War mythology and ancient environment
    - Far Cry foliage density and precision
    - CoD WWII facial animation and cinematics
    - add good story on top
    - add excellent execution by graphics engineers on top
    - add game design suitable for casual and hardcore gamers
    - and of course stunning, higher than Hellblade level, soundtrack
    and you will get Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I played first 3 hours without getting up.

It is amazing high quality game. Bravo Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal. This is how it is done. I was playing this on Xbox One X, though highly recommend it to PlayStation owners as well.
  10. Sep 12, 2018
    Gotta say that this is an amazing game. The graphics are beautiful and the story is fun if not a bit over the top but what do you expect from a Tomb Raider game :) loves the previous games and this one is even better. A must buy.
  11. Sep 13, 2018
    Finally, a next gen Tomb Raider game. The environments are gigantic, you actually feel like you could get lost in the jungle. Every tree has an animal attached to it, there's so much life in the jungle and it looks amazing, the graphics unlike anything else on Xbox One X. The tombs are epic and beautiful, I took about 50 screenshots over the course of the campaign. I completed the game inFinally, a next gen Tomb Raider game. The environments are gigantic, you actually feel like you could get lost in the jungle. Every tree has an animal attached to it, there's so much life in the jungle and it looks amazing, the graphics unlike anything else on Xbox One X. The tombs are epic and beautiful, I took about 50 screenshots over the course of the campaign. I completed the game in one day, I didn't want to stop playing and I already want to start over again which I will do tonight. Seeing is believing 9.5/10 Expand
  12. Sep 12, 2018
    This is going to be legen......wait for it.....dary, legendary!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Sep 15, 2018
    Bigger and better than Rise, practically gave us everything people have been asking for minus the cargo shorts and duel pistols. Graphics on the XB1X are superb. Must have for true Tomb Raider fans.
  14. Sep 12, 2018
    So far, the best tomb raider game of the serie. Massive thumbs up for the tomb, the environment and the story. I will beat and grind the game to have all achievements.
  15. Sep 26, 2018
    Good game! So far as this franchise is one of the best for me, its 9 out of 10 can be put. I completely passed the story and collect everything that could be collected on all maps. Played on ps4. There are some problems in some story moments, not good graphics (a bit) ... But they are smoothed out when you look at the game as a whole. All the characters are interesting, they have their ownGood game! So far as this franchise is one of the best for me, its 9 out of 10 can be put. I completely passed the story and collect everything that could be collected on all maps. Played on ps4. There are some problems in some story moments, not good graphics (a bit) ... But they are smoothed out when you look at the game as a whole. All the characters are interesting, they have their own unique character and motivation (especially like the character, Queen of the Paititi). The gameplay does not give you boredom, especially for those who love stealth mode, there will be a pleasant surprise. The exploreing of the world gives you a lot of fun. Tombs is very good and make you brainwash (passed on the "child of the jungle"). Quality of AAA game, lovers of the genre "mast have" this game ! Expand
  16. Sep 12, 2018
    is a sequel worthy of the previous 2, same game system if you like the previous ones you would like this, there is not much risk in the purchase insured
  17. Sep 12, 2018
    The game is clean, lightweight, optimized, and beautiful. Since I started to play I try to find elements that could harm the quality of the game and I still can not find it. It is true that the game takes its predecessor as a structure. But Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a new mood, dark and violent, is the most aggressive game in the trilogy. From the initial presentation until now I haveThe game is clean, lightweight, optimized, and beautiful. Since I started to play I try to find elements that could harm the quality of the game and I still can not find it. It is true that the game takes its predecessor as a structure. But Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a new mood, dark and violent, is the most aggressive game in the trilogy. From the initial presentation until now I have no doubt that this is the best game in the trilogy. Expand
  18. Sep 21, 2018
    After finishing the game and non reading nothing about the game before, for me it has been the best Tomb Raider and Lara adventure in all ways: graphics, soundtrack, puzzles and exploration, environment, story, characters, hubs design, Lara's modeling, mechanicals and habilities.

No innovation or continuity doesn't mean a bad game. I put my critic on what they offer to me not about what I expect from an ideal. It could be better? Of course but what it does is really remarkable and outstanding.
  19. Sep 15, 2018
    Yes it's always the same game-play with Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it's a cool gameplay. Why change when it works. I really like a lot this game, a i like the two previous.
    It have a good story, with good characters. I've a very good time follow Lara in her journey.
    It's a very beautiful game. So, i hope for another trilogy with Lara and will replay this trilogy during this time.
  20. Sep 12, 2018
    Story, pace, graphics, gameplay... This is the best Tomb Raider yet. Great experience.
  21. Sep 12, 2018
    beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful .
  22. Sep 12, 2018
    This is the best Tomb Raider yet. I have no idea why critics are being so tough on it. I will say that some things could be better (animations, hand-to-hand combat, etc), but the good outweighs the bad by a large margin. Honestly, this game is a solid 9,0 I did put 10 to push the score up a bit. But don't worry, this game is spectacular.
  23. Sep 13, 2018
    it's a mastapieceeeeeeeeee. ez pz lemon squeezy lamborghini 10/10 perfection. just right amount of water. -IGN
  24. Sep 13, 2018
    i was big fan TR , now i happy when play shadow of the tomb raider , it so amazing . i love all in it . hope i can play next part of TR as soon
  25. Sep 12, 2018
    this game is a beast in grafics,ameplay,sound and fun factor , also the close the trilogie perfectly and its one of those games that when finish the game , you want to replaying it again
  26. Sep 20, 2018
    Absolutely worth it! If you are into that kind of games it's a must-play. But be careful: the shooting is extremly reduced compared to the other 2 reboot games.
  27. Sep 20, 2018
    I dont understand all the negativity, this game is simply gorgeous with a deep story, relatable characters, amazing graphics and fun gameplay. I love this new Lara, a smart, flawed character that its more than just good looks. The sense of adventure and wonder resonated with me and its simply one of the most awesome games Ive ever played. Kudos to square, eidos and cd. For this.
  28. Sep 22, 2018
    This is the best game after the "Tomb Raider reboot". Music is magnificent! Stealth is rethought and gameplay makes me more than happy) I am not going to discuss about graphics or game-mechanics because there is nothing new but it doesn't matter. Excellent game is not always - "the most advanced in graphics or engine"..... Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a game where I want to play more andThis is the best game after the "Tomb Raider reboot". Music is magnificent! Stealth is rethought and gameplay makes me more than happy) I am not going to discuss about graphics or game-mechanics because there is nothing new but it doesn't matter. Excellent game is not always - "the most advanced in graphics or engine"..... Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a game where I want to play more and more, making 100% achievements, find every Tomb, every crypt and every secret.
    Since 90s, Lara Croft became for me much more than just a game character. Lara - is a phenomenon which changed the whole game industry. As a huge Tomb Raider fan I finished all the games ever existed (including GB and even DVD interactive games :DDDD ), and that fact that Lara is "still alive" and developers are sill working on series - makes me fell that our World needs this charismatic British lady. Probably my personal opinion is a prejudgment because, as I said, I am a big fan of Lara, but that goes sincerely from my heart)

10 out of 10 and not less)
  29. Sep 24, 2018
    SCORE: 83/100

This is a solid game that is fun for anyone that is a fan of this series in particular or the ever-popular action-adventure genre in general. It felt a bit empty, there was not enough combat, there was far too much jungle, and the story was just ok. It has nothing on God of War, Spiderman, or even Assassin's Creed Origins. They somehow made some small improvements and
    SCORE: 83/100

It felt a bit empty, there was not enough combat, there was far too much jungle, and the story was just ok. It has nothing on God of War, Spiderman, or even Assassin's Creed Origins. They somehow made some small improvements and nods, but it still didn't feel like enough. Is it a good, fun game? Of course it is.

This is a good game to get the complete edition for $20. That is worth it. I'll never buy another Tomb Raider for more then twenty bucks.
  30. Sep 12, 2018
    La continuación de Tomb Raider es un buen juego. Esta vez busca diferenciarse más de la saga de Uncharted de la cual esta estigmatizada con su primer juego del 2013. En esta ocasión la bella Lara Croft es más letal mostrando como se convierte en la heroína que se recuerda de los juegos de hace veinte años. Aunque, la aventura se desarrolla en Latinoamérica. Que es una forma de rememorar loLa continuación de Tomb Raider es un buen juego. Esta vez busca diferenciarse más de la saga de Uncharted de la cual esta estigmatizada con su primer juego del 2013. En esta ocasión la bella Lara Croft es más letal mostrando como se convierte en la heroína que se recuerda de los juegos de hace veinte años. Aunque, la aventura se desarrolla en Latinoamérica. Que es una forma de rememorar lo de las primeras aventuras de la Lara Croft clásica. Se observa que hay NPC´s que hablan en idioma de la región, ya sea castellano o quechua por ejemplo. Otro aspecto que resalta más es la opción de ajustar la dificultad de la historia, los puzles, los enfrentamientos, y la exploración. Esto hace que el juego pueda ser más versátil.

En la jugabilidad se prioriza el sigilo. Aunque, pudo mejorar en las misiones secundarias y no poner las misiones de recadero, pero es un placer jugar con Lara.

In English
    The continuation of Tomb Raider is a good game. This time it seeks to differentiate itself from the Uncharted saga of which it is stigmatized with its first game of 2013. This time the beautiful Lara Croft is more lethal showing how she becomes the heroine that is remembered from the games of twenty years ago. Although, the adventure takes place in Latin America. This is a way of recalling the first adventures of the classic Lara Croft. It is observed that there are NPCs that speak in the language of the region, be it Spanish or Quechua for example. Another aspect that stands out more is the option to adjust the difficulty of the story, the puzzles, the confrontations, and the exploration. This makes the game more versatile.

In the gameplay, stealth is prioritized. Although, it could improve in the secondary missions and not to put the missions of messenger, but it is a pleasure to play with Lara.
  31. Sep 28, 2018
    Always loved the tomb raider franchise. Just finished it today, ready for forza horizon 4. Unfortunately I didn’t like forza horizon 4 much
  32. CSG
    Oct 7, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have attained 100% completion in the Deadly Obsession difficulty.
    And with that I want to give my take on the game.

Generally I think it is a good game. I enjoyed playing it. I feel there are certain aspects that can be improved. I would recommend the game but I also have suggestions on approaching the game.

I don’t have any problems with the storyline. It’s not cluttered, not confusing and not too lengthy. It was well thought out. I did not have to play the first two games to figure out what is going on. Generally satisfying storyline with good buildup, good flow and good ending.

The characters complement the storyline. Lara is not straight up full of conviction. She doubts herself and is somewhat conflicted. Those traits do make her more relatable and endearing. We also see multi-dimension in the antagonist Dominguez. He has Paititi’s interest at heart, just his methods are too extreme. It was saddening when Unuratu died. It was particularly heartbreaking when Jonah was supposedly killed.

The character animation is top notch. Lara is beautiful. Jonah wouldn’t be as lovable if he doesn’t look the way he does. Characters aside, the environments depicted are also breathtaking. From the lush jungles to the lively towns and cities to the dark and appropriately claustrophobic caves and tombs, everything was meticulously detailed. I love it.

Exploration in the game is really fun. Lara has the skill set befitting of a tomb raider. What spoils the fun is how inconsistent the game behaves when Lara is executing these moves. One moment she can do it. Reload the game, do the exact same thing and this time she falls to her demise. The inconsistencies and luck factor have to be removed. Apart from all that, I think the game excels in allowing me to live out my fantasy of venturing into caves and tombs; something I consider too dangerous to do in real life.

I generally dread combat in the game. In the Deadly Obsession difficulty, the best, if not the only approach towards combat is stealth. Sadly, stealth, like exploration, is inconsistent and therefore unreliable. It is not broken because you can eventually stealth your way to victory. For the number of tries you need to succeed, you could actually be doing the same things. Just the outcomes are different and you would be wondering why. Stealth could be improved to be more robust to improve the overall combat experience. As for the fights that provide no option to go stealth, I would say I am not a big fan of the idea of Rambo Lara singlehandedly going up against military trained Trinity soldiers or even the Yaaxil.

With how dreadful combat is, I do enjoy the missions and tombs where no combat is involved. The challenge tombs are so fun and challenging. The puzzles are very well thought out and executed.

I do not recommend the Deadly Obsession difficulty. What makes the difficulty broken is the fact that the game only saves at base camps. I wasted a lot of time getting to the hard parts rather than dealing with the hard parts. Using time wastage to achieve a certain level of difficult is a terrible idea. I don’t understand how game developers can confuse challenging with time consuming.

That’s my review. Let me know what you think. I welcome different perspectives.
  33. Nov 29, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. very big spoiler

if jonah were dead, I would give it a ten.

Graphics, sound and exploration is at very high level.
    Dont really care about stories, just write this because of the 75 characters.
    Jonah is real annoying.
  34. Nov 30, 2018
    More tomb raiding. Less combat. More exploration. Best visuals of the trilogy. My only complaint with all three games is: not enough traps, and top many puzzles resolved with the rope arrow mechanic.
  35. Jan 12, 2019
    Un juego increible, me lo compre de salida y no me decepciono, aunque me hubiese gustado que tubiera una duracion mas larga en cuanto a la historia
  36. Jul 20, 2020
    Played this game on PC and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay is better than ever, the customization and leveling is deeper, the story feels more interesting and better written and the graphics are absolutely incredible. Seriously, I have played all the best looking games on PC and PS4 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PC is definitely among the top 5 best looking games. I love the settingsPlayed this game on PC and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay is better than ever, the customization and leveling is deeper, the story feels more interesting and better written and the graphics are absolutely incredible. Seriously, I have played all the best looking games on PC and PS4 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PC is definitely among the top 5 best looking games. I love the settings menu and everything they allow you to tweak. It's also really great that they allow you to adjust difficulty more granularly. The exploration of tombs and puzzle solving is much better than the previous two games and is, perhaps, the best it's ever been in the series, period.

Anybody saying this is the same as Rise of the Tomb Raider is talking out their you-know-what. There are more changes and improvements in this game than we got from one game to another in a certain other similar franchise that I won't name. Suffice to say, this game has evolved plenty and is a lot of fun to play.

Oh and anybody claiming this looks worse than Rise of the Tomb Raider is either certifiably blind or just trolling. This game is a good leap above the last game in nearly every area of its graphical makeup.
  37. Dec 16, 2018
    La verdad es que el juego aun siendo correcto ha resultado ser muy decepcionante. El juego no aporta casi nada que no hiciera cualquiera de los anteriores juegos. En definitiva no es mal juego pero no ha dado ninguna sorpresa como si dieron los 2 anteriores juegos.
  38. Jan 22, 2019
    IMO best part of trilogy. Tomb Raider 2013 was a quite good game but it wasn't a real Tomb Raider. Rise of TR (2015) was much better game if you enjoy puzzles, platforming and exploration but still there was too much shooting for me. Shadow of Tomb Raider is even more about actual Tomb Raiding :) I was really suprised how great this game is after mixed reviews. I got it for Christmas andIMO best part of trilogy. Tomb Raider 2013 was a quite good game but it wasn't a real Tomb Raider. Rise of TR (2015) was much better game if you enjoy puzzles, platforming and exploration but still there was too much shooting for me. Shadow of Tomb Raider is even more about actual Tomb Raiding :) I was really suprised how great this game is after mixed reviews. I got it for Christmas and plan was to launch it to see how it looks, and then go back to Red Dead Redemption 2 :) Then I heard the music in the menu... and couldn't resist till I completed game in 100%. My only complaint is about some boring quests in the biggest hub location (Paititi). This average content doesn't fit to the rest of game and slowed down action too much... The rest i enjoyed very much, even fighting (not always stealth) :) New swimming mechanic and underwater locations with claustrophobic passages are great. Overall atmosphere created by music (I love the sountrack), graphics and narration was the very consistant and left me with nostalgia :) Very good ending for this trilogy, I will miss it trilogy much more than I expected. Expand
  39. Feb 22, 2019
    Bom jogo com partes chatas, jogabilidade ok, visual lindo com gráficos maravilhosos.
    Prós: Gráficos, ambientação.
    Prós: Gráficos, ambientação.
    Contras: Jogo é desequilibrado, boa parte do game é focada na narrativa e exploração com eventuais combates, porém no final do game, você é obrigado a matar 10 ou mais inimigos furtivos em vários momentos. A furtividade do game é falsa, pois a partir do momento q um inimigo vê um corpo no chão, basta ele passar perto de você pra te ver, mesmo escondido. Historia é fraca, mesma coisa de sempre, Lara e sua ambição irritante e trindade novamente. Escalda do jogo é mal feita, vários pontos você terá que morrer várias vezes para entender o scrip.
    GamerTag do meu jogo: Edgard 86
  40. Mar 4, 2019
    There is a better balance between action and puzzles than previous games! The best of the trilogy
  41. Mar 16, 2019
    this game is not much different in terms of mechanics from the previous one, but it somehow still manages to be better in every aspect;better graphics, better story, better chase scenes and so on... If you liked the previous two games this one will be a blast, if you didn't i still recommend you try it out, because it's much better than the previous ones (imo), overall an awesomethis game is not much different in terms of mechanics from the previous one, but it somehow still manages to be better in every aspect;better graphics, better story, better chase scenes and so on... If you liked the previous two games this one will be a blast, if you didn't i still recommend you try it out, because it's much better than the previous ones (imo), overall an awesome experience, i'm kind of sad the reboot franchise ends here, because they could've improved the mechanics further, but now they will rethink the whole mechanics for their next game, i can't wait to raid some more tombs. :) Expand
  42. Mar 22, 2019
    Es para mi el culmen de esta nueva trilogia de tomb raider,un mundo abierto bastante extenso con muchisima exploracion y una gran cantidad de misiones secundarias como retos y desafios que hacen que no te aburras en ningun momento y con un control excelente.Estoy deseando que empiecen otro nuevo proyecto de tomb raider
  43. Mar 24, 2019
    This franchise managed to find a way to remain the same basic formula through every installment, both in terms of story and gameplay, yet still find ways to make you feel like you were growing and providing you with new and exciting challenges along the way. I can't say this game was any better than the one before it in too many ways, other than it managed to provide the most engrossingThis franchise managed to find a way to remain the same basic formula through every installment, both in terms of story and gameplay, yet still find ways to make you feel like you were growing and providing you with new and exciting challenges along the way. I can't say this game was any better than the one before it in too many ways, other than it managed to provide the most engrossing story yet while at the same time giving you the greatest amount of extra content you can do. If I had the time too, I probably could have sunk double the hours into this game that I did just due to how much content they gave this latest installment, and that's a great growth for this series. I don't know if this will be their last game, but if it is, it's a great note to go out on. Expand
  44. Apr 6, 2019
    I'm been playing tomb raider games since the late 90's and I don't think this game resembles the original games but... the graphics, the gameplay and the story are so good. I had a very good time. It's not boring at all.
  45. Apr 9, 2019
    Played all Tomb Raider games and I have to say, this one is my favorite. Feels more like Assassin's Creed now with a TON of stuff to do. Great open world with gorgeous graphics. Puzzles are great and I heard the DLC is actually great as well. A must play titile.
  46. May 26, 2019
    Most beautiful character in video game history is enough for me to give this another 10 after rise of tomb raider!
  47. Jun 19, 2019
    In this review, only the negative aspects of the game are considered. The purpose of this work is to help you to get a better decision on the purchase of the game

My Rating: 9 of 10

Weak points :
    - Major glitches that had an impact on the control and physics of the game
  48. Jul 3, 2019
    Just awesome ,its a incredible story and amazing and fun gameplay...love the way the game impact u with the protagonist (lara) and made you feel the change and made you feel becoming more stronger
  49. Jul 8, 2019
    Grafica eccezionale,la storia mi è piaciuta ma con alcune lacune.
    Ci sono tantissime cose da fare
  50. Oct 13, 2019
    El peor de los tres pero muy buen juego. Tiene momentos geniales y algún altibajo. La exploración y los puzzles son geniales tiene un regusto a tomb raider clásico. Mi puntuación es 8.5 le pongo nueve por considerarlo más cerca del sobresaliente que del notable. Por último, he de destacar el poder jugar a 60 frames en xbox one x y el excelente doblaje al castellano.
  51. Nov 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Juego muy disfrutable en general, solo hay algo que me sigue quedando a deber, y es el hecho de que las trampas no te sorprendan o simplemente no sean desafiantes, añoro las trampas que habian en Tomb Raider 2, donde de pronto una bola de piedra te seguía al puro estilo de indiana Jones, creo que eso es lo que le falta a esta serie de juegos, por el resto todo muy disfrutable Expand
  52. Nov 10, 2019
    Nowe przygody Lary przeszedłem jakoś tak bez zbędnych emocji... To wszystko już było. Gra jest dobra, grafika piękna ale czegoś tu brakło, pozostał niedosyt. Tak czy siak, grę warto przejść :)
  53. Dec 8, 2019
    Cool , not as good as ROTR but still great , it has good graphics , gameplay...
  54. Jan 29, 2020
    I loved it! I selected 'At One With the Jungle' difficulty which was a decent challenge and tons more fun as it removes the 'white ledge' driven hint design that ruined many of the best puzzles in Rise by giving the solutions away cheaply. Shadow is more about exploration and Tombs than Rise, which was fine by me. It looks and sounds amazing and if you've got an HDR display it's reallyI loved it! I selected 'At One With the Jungle' difficulty which was a decent challenge and tons more fun as it removes the 'white ledge' driven hint design that ruined many of the best puzzles in Rise by giving the solutions away cheaply. Shadow is more about exploration and Tombs than Rise, which was fine by me. It looks and sounds amazing and if you've got an HDR display it's really something to behold. It has a weak ending and the story isn't always riveting but the excellent gameplay more than makes up for this. Expand
  55. Feb 3, 2020
    Lots of reviews complain about the lack of real new elements of gameplay here. I'm globally ok with that. But, from my point of view, they push the initial concept of the reboot almost to the top of what it can be in this opus. The environments are stunning (4K/ Xbox one X), a real pleasure to explore, the evolution of Lara makes sense with the trilogy and there's no real annoying momentsLots of reviews complain about the lack of real new elements of gameplay here. I'm globally ok with that. But, from my point of view, they push the initial concept of the reboot almost to the top of what it can be in this opus. The environments are stunning (4K/ Xbox one X), a real pleasure to explore, the evolution of Lara makes sense with the trilogy and there's no real annoying moments in the game. My favorite opus of the trilogy so far. Expand
  56. Feb 13, 2020
    Juego con una buena historia, técnicamente muy bueno y con muchos extras. Quizás peque de continuista pero me parece un buen cierre a esta trilogía. En cualquier caso no le vendría mal un descanso para renovarse
  57. Oct 8, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Review Date 19.02.2020

I played through the game after almost 37 hours and got 83/99 achievements (1590/1690 achievement points), including 100% success. Except for the time and point attack modes, I've completely exhausted the game. I also played all of the Graves DLC.

story

Overall, in terms of storytelling, I really liked the game towards the end, because at the beginning I thought this apocalyptic scenario would be too strained. I especially liked the hidden city and everything around it. The story is casually nicely expanded by the many collectibles and everything gets more substance similar to the part before.

The DLC graves also come with their own stories or fit well into the story and give Amaru in particular more background. Because Amaru was the biggest weakness for me, because he simply had too little screen time and therefore has far too little to offer as a character. As I said with some DLC graves it gets more profile but overall it could have been represented better. Trinity also came up short on the surface.
    Furthermore, I would have liked a longer change of scenery in this part as well.

What I really have to praise are the parts that are supposed to slow down the game a bit. I like it very much and give Lara and the player a break themselves.

I also always find it super interesting in games when they deal with gods etc. and integrate them into the game (e.g. Ah Puch, Cabrakan etc. by the way, the grave of Hun Batz from the DLC is pretty cool).

Gameplay

I really liked the scope of the game as well as some of the new features. Shadow of the Tomb Raider feels really like a classic Tomb Raider on the PC. In addition, there is New Game + and the aforementioned point u. Time mode.

The classic Tomb Raider feeling begins with the graves, some of which are breathtaking and both tricky and require skill (especially the DLC graves often rely on skill passages). I also liked the crypts, which are often associated with side quests, and contribute to the really good worldbuilding. The monoliths are now connected with puzzles, which made them even more interesting, even if in the end mostly only Mats jumped out.

The skill and upgrade system works well and I really liked the look of the skill sheet. Individual skins look very good and also give e.g. good upgrades in the area of ​​faster leveling.

As already mentioned, the collectibles gave me a lot of fun again and were incredibly motivated, so collecting tasks like this have to be integrated. The challenges were fun too, even if they didn't really live up to their name (mostly the challenge was finding them).

When it comes to climbing, too, you have to think about something and, for example, integrated overhang climbing. Overall, as in the previous parts, the climbing felt good, even if countless deaths resulted from falls (mostly because I wanted to continue too quickly).

Graphics / staging

Bombastic. Probably one of the nicest games I've played so far. The background, the individual characters and the whole game are staged fantastically. The jungle just looks amazing and is filled with some animals etc. Atmospherically it is completely correct, the sounds of the animals are also implemented very well (howler monkeys: D).

In addition, the tombs and crypts give you a wonderful Tomb Raider feeling.

Some pictures, moments or video sequences (e.g. jaguar scene or a certain scene in which Lara climbs out of the water, with the right skin the scene is goat) are simply incredibly well staged and astonish you.

Conclusion

I had 37 hours of real fun here and played an incredibly good Croft trilogy overall. The game does almost everything right for me and has entertained me very well. Ultimately, Lara's last appearance gets 9/10 treasures.
  58. Feb 23, 2020
    This game is just as good as the other reboot Tomb Raider game, not really sure why there is bad ratings for this.
  59. Mar 30, 2020
    Amazing, is the word that I would use to describe this game, the story is good, the gameplay is immersive as hell, and tomb in this game are by far the best ever in the new rebooted trilogy...
    The new definitely addition of the game gives you 7 more challenge tombs with thier own stories, the fact that every new tomb is accompanied with a new story of sort is just brilliant and shows that the team is really dedicated on making this a great dlc, I before getting the update thought, "oh 7 new tombs thats great", I never thought that it would have a story attached to it, I was really thinking that they would put optional challenge tombs and scatter them all over the 3 massive hub areas and call it a day, but NO, you get a new story with it, and it makes it great. All in all a great game, and has a ton of replayability.
  60. Apr 7, 2020
    Shadow of the Tomb raider is a fantastic game that feels familiar at the same time. Besides the fact that the series is due for innovation, this was an experience I would not want to miss. A fantastic jungle to discover and Lara who is more confident than ever. Although the story is sometimes a bit difficult to follow, the whole experience makes this the best Tomb Raider I've ever played.Shadow of the Tomb raider is a fantastic game that feels familiar at the same time. Besides the fact that the series is due for innovation, this was an experience I would not want to miss. A fantastic jungle to discover and Lara who is more confident than ever. Although the story is sometimes a bit difficult to follow, the whole experience makes this the best Tomb Raider I've ever played.

Positive points:
    - The vibrant jungle
    - The atmosphere - Character of Lara
    - Creepy and scary moments in the story
    - Good balance between exploring, tomb raiding and combat
    - Amazing and challenging tombs
    - Action packed scenes
    - Soundtrack

Negative points
    - Shooting with guns still does not work well
    - Character models of NPC’s
    - Lip sync
    - Open levels/area’s are not fully exploited in my opinion. Side missions were therefore worth it
    - Sometimes a bad level design that causes you to die unnecessarily several times - Tomb Raider always goes too far with the final boss fights. It is over the top and out of line with the rest of the game.
  61. Apr 14, 2020
    I can’t believe it scored so low. Awesome game, at least on Xbox one x. Lots of verticality, great moment to moment gameplay, the combat sequences have been paired back to give way to lots more exploration, the visuals are amazing, the friendship between Lara and Jonas is explored further I just can’t get enough of Tomb raider, I very rarely play games to completion more than once and I’mI can’t believe it scored so low. Awesome game, at least on Xbox one x. Lots of verticality, great moment to moment gameplay, the combat sequences have been paired back to give way to lots more exploration, the visuals are amazing, the friendship between Lara and Jonas is explored further I just can’t get enough of Tomb raider, I very rarely play games to completion more than once and I’m on my second play through after beating it for the first time just recently. Brilliant game that everyone should play. Expand
  62. May 10, 2020
    Amazing game. Playing on hardest difficulty is so fun.
    -story is better
    -tombs are better
    -graphics are better
    -Everything is better than previous 2 games.

Best of the trilogy!
  63. Jun 19, 2020
    This game was great, the game play was good, and the story was also good. The graphics look amazing, and this game is fun to play. However, stealth sections are a total pain, and most of them are not fun. Over all, great game, stealth sections suck though.
  64. Jun 21, 2020
    •The story is good. I enjoyed it. I think maybe it’s the best of the trilogy from what I can remember. I must say though, the actual gameplay of the main story is really great. There is not a single moment that isn’t entertaining. The dialogue isn’t always great, the characters aren’t either, but it’s always fun to play. They create so many moments that are just a joy to go through. It’s•The story is good. I enjoyed it. I think maybe it’s the best of the trilogy from what I can remember. I must say though, the actual gameplay of the main story is really great. There is not a single moment that isn’t entertaining. The dialogue isn’t always great, the characters aren’t either, but it’s always fun to play. They create so many moments that are just a joy to go through. It’s not all perfect, there’s some stupid stuff in here, but it’s a genuine accomplishment.
    •The characters are mostly good. As I said the dialogue never reaches a level so that it’s impressive, but I was never bothered by it. There are a few cute lines here or there. The relationships are better defined than before, especially between Lara and Jonah.
    •I think, and this is gonna sound kinda odd, but the graphics of this game are probably what I enjoyed the most. They’re awe inspiring at times. Every single area impressed me. It made exploration fun more than anything else, just seeing what else they put in the levels. I should mention, aside from the main characters, the people looked pretty ugly. Generic, boring, and weirdly less detailed than people like Lara or Jonah and so on.
    •The tombs on average were very good. They all looked pretty great, there were some interesting layouts, and while the skill rewards were never exciting that’s not really what it’s about for me. I think crypts fit into this same category and obviously they’re just lesser tombs in every way. Brief little sections that are entertaining but there isn’t really anything special.
    •The side missions are another story. They’re mostly just ok. Maybe like three or four that I’d actually consider good.
    •The DLC missions, though, were great. Like damn they were good. The best tombs in the game, some of the best visuals, the stories were never fantastic but a few provided some interesting details.
    •I think maybe the most important part of gameplay is the exploration. The areas are all interesting to look through, and while I think there is one place a bit too big to warrant trying to find everything, I’d say it’s worth it everywhere else. A fun aspect of this is the fact that you don’t have the means to get everywhere at first, and over time you obtain ways to destroy barriers or traverse to different places.
    •The rewards for exploring, the collectibles, are pretty good for the most part. There are a few kinds: documents, artifacts, murals, monoliths, chests and supply caches. Artifacts are easily the best, with Lara describing them and you can rotate the item to look at it. Really cool stuff sometimes and I enjoy the fact that Lara is so knowledgeable about all of it.
    •The combat is split into the stealth and shooting. The stealth is easily my favorite. It is really damn fun to use the walls with vegetation on it or mud or jumping around the trees. And there are some nice options with tools as well. The shooting, though, is hit or miss. The guns are all really fun to use they feel good to actually shoot. The bow is aight. If there are ranged enemies then it’s good. If there are melee enemies then it’s annoying. This goes for the humans with melee weapons as well as nearly every animal. The animals are just kinda boring.
    •The climbing somehow never gets old as long as you’re not going up the same place over and over. It’s just fun. The rock climbing, the swinging especially, is well done. There are some sections here or there that don’t present clearly where you’re supposed to go and it can get annoying though.
    •There’s a skill tree which looks nice but I didn’t really pay attention to what I needed. This game just isn’t difficult enough that I felt like there was something that’d really help me out, but there are a few things there that are fun to use I suppose.
    •The inventory is cool. You get a **** ton of weapons but none are different enough that there’s any reason to switch, the upgrade system is fun, and I didn’t care much for the clothes.
    •The crafting isn’t anything special. It’s well done, but I’d kinda rather it wasn’t in the game.
    •The game sounds great, from the environment to the weapons and so on. Voice acting is mostly good too.
    •There’s an ability Lara can use called “survival instinct”. There are certain things that become highlighted like enemies or some collectibles, and it’s extremely useful but I don’t love how much I had to rely on it.

Overall: I really dig this game. The gameplay is really fun most of the time, the story is engaging enough, it all looks incredible. There are some grievances I have, but none that diminished my enjoyment enough that I wouldn’t recommend this to pretty much anyone.
  65. Jul 5, 2020
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider contrasts the banal and leaky plot with a beautiful production, fairly boring old mechanics — a beautiful visual series, and trivial to yawn side quests — exciting adventures. Overall the game is great
  66. Jul 12, 2020
    Un très bon jeu pour conclure la trilogie amorcée en 2013.
    Lara retrouve ses premières amours avec l'exploration et les tombeaux.
  67. Jul 17, 2020
    the video game is very incredible finish the trylogy very very god. is the best of previous games
  68. Jul 21, 2020
    The first game was truly awesome and perfect way to bring back the series from the grave. The sequel was even better although I did think it started off pretty slowly but got better as the game progressed. With this one it started off strong but slowly started to lose my interest. Not because the story wasn't interesting but I just got kind of tired doing the same things over and overThe first game was truly awesome and perfect way to bring back the series from the grave. The sequel was even better although I did think it started off pretty slowly but got better as the game progressed. With this one it started off strong but slowly started to lose my interest. Not because the story wasn't interesting but I just got kind of tired doing the same things over and over again. The new game play mechanics like hiding in the mud or having jaguars attack you was pretty neat but lost it's cool feeling after a while. I still enjoy it's mature theme and want that to continue for future games, but please give me my duel pistols. Expand
  69. Aug 4, 2020
    Xbox One X is a game changer for this game. Looks stunning vs PS4 standard version. Gameplay, this is a light action and puzzle game. Very little combat, more stealth in contrast to Rise of the TR and less enemies by far. The previous game was much more like Uncharted. This game is very linear with limited free roam. I like the game, love the series. Traversal and combat areXbox One X is a game changer for this game. Looks stunning vs PS4 standard version. Gameplay, this is a light action and puzzle game. Very little combat, more stealth in contrast to Rise of the TR and less enemies by far. The previous game was much more like Uncharted. This game is very linear with limited free roam. I like the game, love the series. Traversal and combat are nearly identical to the previous 2 games. Much more NPC interaction which builds the story from an emotional connection standpoint but negatively impacts pacing. Graphics are stunning on Xbox One D which also helps with puzzle solving in dark tombs. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 56 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2019
    It’s a very solid game, lacking any surprises or a wow factor, but boasting outstanding level design, very satisfying exploration and beautiful graphics. [11/2018, p.68]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 21, 2018
    Solid yet underwhelming, shadow fails to send Lara out on a high. [Dec 2018, p.75]
    Dark and dirty but also full of fun and discovery, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is rife with jungle mysteries, embellished history, gratifying puzzles and Lara Croft's personal struggles. With more open world exploration, more climbing, more tombs and more options for combat, it's a familiar but improved adventure and a gripping conclusion to the trilogy.