7.0

1. Mar 6, 2014
    I recently bought this game for 2 reasons. 1. I bought Plants vs Zombies, Garden Warfare and it was only 40 bucks. Strider was only 14 dollars. Both games combined are the price of one of most of the Xbox One games. So 2 for the price of one makes this game more than worth it in my mind. 2. My household has some fans of the old Strider games.

At first I was confused as I could not find

At first I was confused as I could not find this game in stores. Apparently it is only purchasable for the Xbox One on the Xbox Store. I guess this actually keeps production costs down so in a way is a good thing. Though I prefer to have a hard copy of my games.

After downloading the game I tried it out. Because of the price, I was worried the game would be extremely short on content or really stink. It was a pleasant surprise. The game was a nice mixture between what the old game was and some new aspects. But no aspects that stepped on the vibe of the original series. The game seemed to have more than enough missions considering I only paid 14 bucks for it. And if you search out for all the hidden stuff each mission is a fair enough length. At first it seemed you could only go through each level in set orders like the original games. But if you open your map, you can see where all the targets are in the area. It was also a nice touch that you could choose which areas to explore, in the particular order you want.

The bottom line is, if your a fan of the original Strider this is a nice cheap addition to your Xbox One. It may not take you long to beat it, but apparently difficult content that takes weeks instead of hours to beat is just not part of the next generation systems plans.
  2. Apr 28, 2014
    Being a huge fan of the original Genesis arcade port, I was really looking forward to this reboot. It did not disappoint! For $15 you get a solid Metroidvania-esque side-scroller with difficulty that feels just about right. I have put in the time to really explore the map and have gotten about 8 hours of game play out of this puppy. Not half bad for $15 download.

The boss battles

The boss battles really hearken back to side-scrollers of my childhood. They involve moderate to difficult, pattern-based battles that are extremely fast-paced and satisfying. The overall gameplay is incredibly fast-paced and one really feels like a bad-ass tearing through waves of foot solider cannon fodder in each map.

The power-ups each offer their owns pluses and minuses. Each can be used to more easily defeat a different type of foe and each open a specific door. Thus, there is incentive to acquire a new cypher and then backtrack through the map to look for previously locked doors.

The sound is amazing and the music definitely brings back memories of the original. Additionally, for a 2D side-scroller, the graphics are great, especially on the Xbox One and particularly the magnificent backgrounds.

In my mind, the only issue keeping this one from a 10 is a small gripe I have with the gameplay. For the most part, Strider controls like a silky-smooth dream. However, there are times when he gets turned around during attacks or has difficulty clinging to a wall or dropping from a ceiling in the desired direction. These are small issues that do not detract from the overall experience, however.

I really love this game and am disappointed that it's over now!
  3. Feb 20, 2014
    I came from the original SEGA console release to this, and I am very happy to see a reboot done right! Challenging boss fights and rewarding non-linear secrets, along with classic controls and a beautiful new paint job, big studios should take note: This is how you bring back a classic.
  4. Feb 19, 2014
    From someone who played the original arcade version and NES version, this reboot was a very welcome surprise! I enjoyed the fact that Strider Hiryu is back in his own game and must give props that Double Helix did a tremendous job with keeping just enough of the old school and mixing in the newer elements that make it a definite "must buy" for any fans of the original Strider games. TheFrom someone who played the original arcade version and NES version, this reboot was a very welcome surprise! I enjoyed the fact that Strider Hiryu is back in his own game and must give props that Double Helix did a tremendous job with keeping just enough of the old school and mixing in the newer elements that make it a definite "must buy" for any fans of the original Strider games. The controls can take some getting familiar with because I played on my Xbox One and with all the new powerups with the cypher, it took a few minutes to get used too. The game's graphics are wonderful and the combat is really smooth and fluid. I have no problems with the difficulty with the bosses either because the original bosses were the same way. I must admit, I didn't want to marathon through it yet because I don't want to miss anything in the first play through. The best part about it is the price, $15 for a 6-8 hr game and the fact that it's release was really sooner than expected. If you need a classic arcade platformer/metroidvania type side scroller, you can't go wrong with Strider. Thanks to Capcom and Double Helix for a great reboot! Expand
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    MaxeeyLP (DEUTSCH)
    Strider ist ein geniales 2D Game mit vielen Fähigkeiten und epischen fights.
    Die Grafik ist Genial für ein 2D Game weil es Nueartig ist und zurzeit auch den Alten Comic Styl beinhaltet es lohnt sich echt zukaufen und zu spielen!
    Lg euer MaxeeyLP
  6. Feb 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never played a strider game, so i decided to give this a try, the game seems to be a low budget one, but the people that worked on it made a really good job with that budget, This feels more like Castlevania Symphony of the night, but in this one everything moves at a really fast pace, you can actually run everywhere without killing a single enemy, and feels great, or you can take your time and kill everything in seconds, the music its so good and keeps you moving it really pulls you into the game,

The only disappointment in this game its that its so fast that you can finish it in 4hrs flat, i would love this game if it had at least 4 times the size of the map, and more variety in enemies and bosses since they keep coming back, with a stronger difficulty and that its part of what makes it feel "low budget",

Its a great game, a bit short and repetitive, i hope they come out with a 2nd part, focusing in those flaws
  7. May 24, 2014
    Strider provides excellent Metroidvania gameplay and action. The difficulty is reminiscent of old school games, and the boss fights are fun. Double Helix did a good job combining old school and more recent gameplay.
  8. Mar 3, 2014
    **** poorly thought out platforming wasted budget no testing flashy lights boring combat
    -everything wrong with the game
    pros: metroidvania?

Dont Buy
  9. Sep 13, 2014
    This game isn't even remotely next gen.
    I have an identical version of this on my Xbox 360.
    Not worth buying for your next gen console when it looks the same on the previous console.

A fun game that reminds me of the original on the 16-bit megadrive.
    It has some boring bits but has a lot of cool voiceovers.
  10. Oct 24, 2014
    Play If: You have fond memories of Metroid, or loved Shadow Complex. If you like games that have simple mechanics, but provide some challenge.

Don't Play If: You get easily bored by repetition. If you are easily frustrated by difficult boss battles.
  11. Mar 12, 2017
    No puedo creer las notas de este juego, lo he comprado ahora con la mosca detrás de la oreja pensando en que me iba a encontrar una mediocridad, y vaya sorpresa... Supongo que a la gente no le ha gustado que use el nombre de Strider, pero si no contamos el nombre del juego, nos encontramos con un metroidvania excelente, largo, ágil, divertido. Pasad de las notas de prensa y jugadlo.
  12. Aug 3, 2018
    This reboot of "Strider" blends the action of the arcade game with the adventure of the NES version. It's a side-scrolling hack ' slash that is similar to "Shadow Complex". As you progress, you'll earn different abilities and tools that allow access to previously inaccessible areas. There is also plenty of hidden rooms that contain several types of upgrades. In addition, you'll discoverThis reboot of "Strider" blends the action of the arcade game with the adventure of the NES version. It's a side-scrolling hack ' slash that is similar to "Shadow Complex". As you progress, you'll earn different abilities and tools that allow access to previously inaccessible areas. There is also plenty of hidden rooms that contain several types of upgrades. In addition, you'll discover numerous collectibles that unlock artwork, character profiles and challenge rooms. The game isn't too long or difficult, but it's a lot of fun while it lasts. If you enjoyed any of the previous "Strider" entries, than you'll have a good time with this one. I would rate it with a 7.6 out of 10. Expand
  13. Nov 20, 2018
    * The good things: the redesign of characters, an excellent ‘metroidvania’, see Strider again in action.

* The bad things: the difficulty of the enemies is very low, there is an item that is badly placed and only reached with a glitch, it seemed very short once you know what to do.

* The meh! things: I expected more challenge from the villains Grand Master Meio, Solo and Tong Poo.

1. Mar 6, 2014
    While Strider could have benefited from a more concise overworld design, its lengthiness does give the game a “slow burn” appeal, something you don’t usually associate with Metroidvania-style games, let alone 2D side scrollers.
  2. Mar 4, 2014
    Strider is basic fare to snack on between larger courses in the release schedule. Double Helix has easily attained its unambitious goals.
  3. Feb 27, 2014
    Not the best in the genre, but a nice game that captures the essence of the original and will appeal to fans.