8.3

1. Jul 16, 2015
    At first I thought wow this lags, after lag was over I thought wow this is maybe the best game I played look at the possibilities it is amazing! But then the more you play and the more you realise there are not so many possibilities. Many ideas forgotten or wrongly developed.

I had a lot of fun level 1 to around 40. Then it just felt dull.
  2. Aug 18, 2015
    This was one game I was REALLY excited for and once I purchased this and actually played it I was quite shocked how many glitches and bugs this game had which kinda pushed me away but after countless updates/patches this game was slowly starting to finally pull together.

I enjoyed this game loads but gets -2 for bugs/glitches along with the same crappy death animation...
  3. Jul 15, 2015
    The game so far to me is terrible. not even close to an enemy, and they some how hit me. When they walk away, they gain all health back. There are no weapons to be found (only staffs). I know these are small things, but it's affecting the game play.
  4. Jun 10, 2015
    So, you've seen all the reviews. Lots of negatives, and there are a few reasons. For starters, the entire feel and environment is ruined by the dozens of other players that are around you all the time. That feel of sneaking around to go through dungeons, that fear of confrontation when you're in the fight, and even the solitude of traveling through the beautiful scenery is tarnishedSo, you've seen all the reviews. Lots of negatives, and there are a few reasons. For starters, the entire feel and environment is ruined by the dozens of other players that are around you all the time. That feel of sneaking around to go through dungeons, that fear of confrontation when you're in the fight, and even the solitude of traveling through the beautiful scenery is tarnished heavily by loads of other players. They kill all the monsters before you can get to them, making quests much easier than they should be. Plus, all the subtle un-screen things (highlighting for item selection, finding bad guys, etc.) is confusing. For example, they should have at least made the hovering over a bad-guy red, and the hovering over other players/npc's green. It all just feels cluttered.

I wanted to get into this, because I loved the last three ES titles, each with more hours than I'd like to admit. This is definitely not a classic ES game.

That said, if you've played MMO's in the past, you understand that questing is only a small amount of the game. I haven't leveled enough to give it a fair review, so I will graciously change my score if things get better.

BUT, I might not even get to that point if the servers are always cluttered and down. I have been kicked and unable to connect basically every time I've played the game. I don't have a lot of time for stuff like this, so I need to be able to dive in and get my fun in 1-2hr. increments throughout the week.

Anyways, if you have the game, stick with it for a while (as I intend to) and see if things get better.
  5. Jun 9, 2015
    OK so I have played only a few hours of this so far and it's yet to wow me BUT I am enjoying myself. My main concern is that it doesn't feel like a proper Elder Scrolls game at the minute, the story is really flat and I have yet to feel like I am part of something even greater, like i did with Skyrim, that game through you into what was an epic plot.

My other main concern is that I am

My other main concern is that I am not entirely sure yet WHY it is online. I just seem to be treking around amongst other people doing the same quest as me but at a different pace, I feel like I am either doing something wrong or i am missing the point in some way.

I am fully prepared to alter my score once I have ventured further but I could do with some sort of explanation as to why there are other warriors similar to myself running around and also some sort of encouragment to interact with them. I don't want to compare it to Destiny as I feel they are different games but atleast with Destiny it sort of explained why there were other "guardians" about and game you the push to join forces with others. Right now in this game, I sort of feel like everyone else is getting in the way a bit.

This is coming from someone who doesn't play World of Warcraft, never really got into it myself but i can see the appeal, hence why i thought I would give this a go on its day of release.

I do think its a bit cheeky as well to let you pay £50 for the game and then try and sell you a monthly membership that is basically the same as the type of thing you get with F2P games. £8.99 a month increases your leveling up and money income etc, basically allowing you to become a badass quicker than every one else. It would be worth it if I found a reason to interact with anyone else but as I havent yet, I will just be my pauper self running around levelling up slowly.

I am all about fairness so if I do change my mind about the game i will alter this review, i have to say though i am enjoying this game a hell of a lot more than I enjoyed the Witcher... I'm thinking of getting rid of that all ready.
  6. Jun 9, 2015
    This game is very difficult to give a straight rating too. As this game claims to be an Elder Scrolls MMO, but is really a remake of Ages of Camelot RVR game. So I will give it three ratings.

Elder Scrolls game. 3/10. Simply put this game has some Elder Scrolls flavor, but would be a horrible disappointment to anyone who dreamed of an Elder Scrolls MMO. If your a hardcore ES fan, you will probably hate it. If it becomes a free game from an Xbox Gold account it might be worth a try, but ES fans would probably still hate it. The XB1 controllers at least make it feel more like an ES game than the PC version.

MMO. 5/10. As far as MMO's go, it's very small feeling zones. It's still quest this and quest that, even though they try to put some ES flavor into it. If ultimately fails horribly in doing so. It is just very average as far as PVE 1-50 MMO's go. IMO the classes are too vanilla. Even more so if your looking for ES flavor.

RVR. 7/10. I never played AOC, but I loved Warhammer Online's RVR, which was borrowed from AOC. It is tons of fun when 50 vs 50 PVP fights happen and try to maintain control of bases. ESO tries to solve the flaws in WH RVR by having 3 factions instead of 2. So if your into Realm vs Realm vs Realm Multiplayer PVP for bases this game is the game for you.

The top says this game is made by Bethesda, but that is not true. It is made by Zenimax by the guy who was blamed for destroying what was great in AOC. So essentially this is AOC 2. So if you want AOC style RVR this is the game for you. If you want ES in an MMO. This game will be a huge let down.

Seriously Bethesda, take the money you earn from this and build an MMO based on the Skyrim skill set. That will make a balanced MMO and PVP will theoretically be balanced because at end game everyone can be every build. And with Windows 10 coming out, you can build it for the Xbox 1 graphics and everyone will be able to enjoy top of the line ES multiple player game.
  7. Jun 9, 2015
    The lag is massive on this launch date, which let us now that in all of this time they couldn't prepare themselves so the game feels broken, for now. The Game play and the control scheme are not bad but the lag and the AI that just wont spawn a physical body, makes the game feel completely broken, as i can complete my current quest in Malabal Tor, which is where i left off when i transferThe lag is massive on this launch date, which let us now that in all of this time they couldn't prepare themselves so the game feels broken, for now. The Game play and the control scheme are not bad but the lag and the AI that just wont spawn a physical body, makes the game feel completely broken, as i can complete my current quest in Malabal Tor, which is where i left off when i transfer my account. Anyways till they fix this small but horrid issue it gets a 5. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2015
    This game is OK. I rated it 0 at release, then I rated it 8.5 after giving it another go. So, all things considered, it's an average 5. I don't like the story - it's pretty dull and repetitive. Dungeons and on-line was very fun for a while but it got old quickly after I realised you're basically invited to do the same thing over and over. It's basically simulated gambling so I can see whyThis game is OK. I rated it 0 at release, then I rated it 8.5 after giving it another go. So, all things considered, it's an average 5. I don't like the story - it's pretty dull and repetitive. Dungeons and on-line was very fun for a while but it got old quickly after I realised you're basically invited to do the same thing over and over. It's basically simulated gambling so I can see why people get hooked. DLC was OK if you ignore the fact that they introduced a new currency to con you out of your previous savings (it's a micro-transaction haven). The absolute worst part is the insanely irritating community:

'Anyone want a vampire bite. 10k for a bite?'
    'Nah mate you're NOT a vampire!
    'I am'
    'You're not'
    'Come outside then! come outside and i'll bite you!'
    'No way, you could't - I was the first vampire - I know you're not a vampire. Everybody! This purple elf isnt a vampire'
    'Who isn't a vampire??'
    'I am a vampire - 10k for a bite. Gimmie 10k and i'll make you a vampire - If it wasn't for me there wouldn't be any vampires! come outside and i'll prove I'm a vampire'

Its just this same argument over and over - either about this or some motif or some other silliness. I've lost faith in humanity after playing this game
  9. Jun 12, 2015
    Fairly average game overall. There are several good things and several bad things about the game.

Good: 1. The world is massive. I love games with huge worlds to explore, and in this game, the world is abnormally large. It would take a significant about of time just to explore the whole game world. 2. Quests: There are plenty of quests to keep you busy for countless amount of hours.

Good:

2. Quests: There are plenty of quests to keep you busy for countless amount of hours. it is hard to not find something to do.

3. Soundtrack: One of the first songs I heard in ESO was that of the theme from Oblivion. which in my opinion is the best Elder Scrolls theme. The overall soundtrack is very well done.

4. Voice Actors: The amount of talent in this game is amazing. one of the first voices I immediately recognized was that of John Cleese who plays the voice of Sir Caldwell. Some of the other talent includes: Kate Beckinsale, Peter Stormare, Michael Gambon, Bill Nighy, Troy Baker, Malcolm McDowell, Alfred Molina, Jim Cummings, and Joseph Gatt.

Bad:
    1. The first and in my opinion the most significant reason this is just an average game is that ESO does not feel like an Elder Scrolls game. I know a lot of people have been complaining about this. But I like to look at ESO as a completely new game. this is in fact the first multiplayer based Elder Scrolls game and overall I feel like they gave it a good effort and I give them credit for trying something new.

2. Visuals: For a next gen console game, the visuals are a bit weak. Objects and people have to render when you get close, viewing distance is not all that great, textures are a bit previous gen looking. I do hope that the developers will try and fix some of these problems. I look more at gameplay for a game rather than visuals, but graphics should be a big part of a large video game title such The Elder Scrolls.

3. Lags and Glitches: Everyone is going crazy, complaining that there are way to many lags and glitches. some of the things I have noticed so far are slow login times/ login failures, disappearing objects/NPCs, and significant frame rate drops when multiple NPCs or online players are on the screen at once. But people have to understand that this is a brand new MMO for consoles (MMO for consoles are pretty new in general too) there are going to be kinks and bumps in the roads, Oblivion and Skyrim were not perfect either when they first came out. Give it time and I believe the developers will fix some if not all of these kinks.

Overall ESO is an average game when looked at from an MMO/new game perspective. I will say that if you refuse to look at ESO as for what it is, a new concept/game, you will probably dislike it. Give it time, and I am sure it will progressively become a bit better.
  10. Jun 9, 2015
    Pretty good so far, I am liking the graphics and gameplay as much as I liked them on PC. It's a very pretty and realistic looking game with good combat, although I have to take a few points off for the following (without these minor-medium scale issues I would have given it a 9) - the first being that it needs the bugs worked out, on the first day I have already gone into severalPretty good so far, I am liking the graphics and gameplay as much as I liked them on PC. It's a very pretty and realistic looking game with good combat, although I have to take a few points off for the following (without these minor-medium scale issues I would have given it a 9) - the first being that it needs the bugs worked out, on the first day I have already gone into several de-populated villages, and tried to speak with quest givers who showed up as being selectable but nobody was there. The second being strange in game-glitches, such as being kicked from the server for spamming when I have entered no chat text in. I literally don't know how to chat in game on the console yet but somehow was kicked for it. My other issues being the same issues I had with the PC version, in the sense that the game needs more mechanics, such as Dungeon Finder, Raiding, Flying, Underwater swimming and things that add more content and depth to it. I don't pvp so I can't speak for how it is in game, other than I know it exists and i'm sure is a make or break deal for some people. Short of that, great game, could be the best with some improvements. Expand
  11. Jun 13, 2015
    In trying to secure a Teen rating, Zenimax inadvertently developed a boring game. An MMO set in the Elder Scrolls Universe had limitless potential but Zenimax ignored it all for cookie cutter side quests that come off as repetitive and pointless. The freedom and that one has grown used to and come to enjoy with the title is gone. If you want to kill the racist dark elf plantation ownerIn trying to secure a Teen rating, Zenimax inadvertently developed a boring game. An MMO set in the Elder Scrolls Universe had limitless potential but Zenimax ignored it all for cookie cutter side quests that come off as repetitive and pointless. The freedom and that one has grown used to and come to enjoy with the title is gone. If you want to kill the racist dark elf plantation owner because of his views on slavery, you can forget it; BUT don't worry because there are plenty of "recover the sacred family Heirloom" missions while the war around you pops off to keep you busy for days. This game lacks flavor. Expand
  12. Jun 11, 2015
    I have only put about 4-5 hours into the Elder scrolls online, but I can say it doesn't really feel like an Elder Scrolls game to me. It just makes me want to go back and play Skyrim. The story isn't very interesting, everything feels like uninteresting fetch quests which in my opinion are ruined by the amount of players doing the same quests. There is no real reason or good reason toI have only put about 4-5 hours into the Elder scrolls online, but I can say it doesn't really feel like an Elder Scrolls game to me. It just makes me want to go back and play Skyrim. The story isn't very interesting, everything feels like uninteresting fetch quests which in my opinion are ruined by the amount of players doing the same quests. There is no real reason or good reason to interact with these other players. Don't go into it expecting a deep Elder Scrolls experience. I would recommend playing with a group of friends. I wouldn't call it a bad game. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone into it with different expectations. Expand
  13. Jun 22, 2015
    This game is fun but the server stability and having to play around so many other random players ruins the experience. It would be great to have private worlds that consist of friends and private parties, but when I have to leave an area again and again only to come back and find that some other random player completed the mission that I was working on and now need to wait for storyThis game is fun but the server stability and having to play around so many other random players ruins the experience. It would be great to have private worlds that consist of friends and private parties, but when I have to leave an area again and again only to come back and find that some other random player completed the mission that I was working on and now need to wait for story elements/characters to reappear so I can do it is just annoying. Some days can be just fine and others can be amazingly bad to the point where I can't even sprint in the game without latency issues slowing the game down and making it amazingly choppy. Several fans will say, "that's what patches are for", which is true, but to be waiting in the queue for nearly 15 minutes to even be able to play after four days post game launch is just unacceptable. Good game but would be much better WITHOUT the true MMO style and stuck to invite only worlds. Expand
  14. Mar 25, 2016
    The game seems to have very good writing, voice acting. Story progression is interesting.
    However, there seems to be a lot of repetition in the world design, many buildings and structures are obviously reused with very little difference. This makes wandering around and exploring far less interesting than it sould be for an rpg. Everything looks a bit the same, which makes the game get boring too quickly, especially since the areas are massive. Item collection is tedious and you always run out of bag space which is annoying. Combat is ok.
  15. Jul 28, 2015
    I wanted to like this game but after spending so much time playing other MMO titles before this game just doesn't shine very bright. lackluster controls, boring combat, a pretty terrible enchanting system being far from what any other title in an elder scrolls game has been. I truly feel this game is mostly being sold on the "Elder scrolls" name alone and not on its actual contents the inI wanted to like this game but after spending so much time playing other MMO titles before this game just doesn't shine very bright. lackluster controls, boring combat, a pretty terrible enchanting system being far from what any other title in an elder scrolls game has been. I truly feel this game is mostly being sold on the "Elder scrolls" name alone and not on its actual contents the in game world looks okay until you go Into towns and inside the buildings to which you will poor proportions of furniture which makes the game feel way too cartoon like this is in contrast to what should be a vary serious game. the voice acting is probably the best part about the game as everything is voiced however you will easily get bore of the quests what i like to call the "collect 6 bear teeth" quests basically you go around collect some amount of something talk to someone else they tell you to go talk to that guy who is like 15 feet away and quest complete this happens a lot (way too often) and is the worst thing about MMO games in general now the main quest that you play by yourself is okay but other than that the game isn't much more than a typical grind MMO including plenty of "free to play" style microtransactions in a game you paid full price for. unless you really care about the single player lore of a game thats not really an elder scrolls game yet clams to be. don't waste your money. if you want to know what the game is without putting down 60+ dollars just download and play Neverwinter (for free) to get a taste of what you will be doing in this game Expand
  16. Dec 18, 2016
    With new game updates that bring together the community of ESO, the game is as welcoming to newcomers as it has ever been. Drastic overhauls to how players progress have hit the game since its launch back in mid 2015. These changes have taken the game from uninteresting to me to a semi-regular time sink. Things like no level requirements for quests - everything is matched to your level soWith new game updates that bring together the community of ESO, the game is as welcoming to newcomers as it has ever been. Drastic overhauls to how players progress have hit the game since its launch back in mid 2015. These changes have taken the game from uninteresting to me to a semi-regular time sink. Things like no level requirements for quests - everything is matched to your level so that you're never too powerful or too weak to conquer a challenge in-game. Just because you complete a story for one of the three factions doesn't mean you can't take that same character and experience the main story from a different point of view (e.g. another faction). Then there's the typical Elder Scrolls style of character development in that you don't really need to stick to script. Most races have access to nearly all the playable classes, allowing you to decide whether you want to be a damage dealer, a healer, or a tank (damage sponge) and even change your style after you've capped your level. These things make ESO the people's MMORPG. But ESO wasn't made to be an MMO and it does suffer some setbacks. The game doesn't function very well when the MMO side really kicks in. Consoles will struggle to keep up when a small handful of players go at it in PvP areas. Controls are easy enough to understand but they're sometimes too easy and too simplified. Anyone coming from a PC style MMORPG will find themselves asking why there's only 5 actions per skill bar (Xbox One players could have adopted more controls via an Elite controler or Bethesda could have use some kind of alt trigger to expand skill base). So if you don't absolutely have the best set of skills, you're going to have a bad day against other competent players and some dungeons. PvP in general is kind of a bore for me. I'm great at other player-vs-player games across multiple genres but this game challenges me the most. I'm okay with challenges, I'm not okay with straight-up unfair play at times and this game toes the line of balanced gameplay and unbalanced gameplay. It will depend on your viewpoint and current playable character(s) whether you agree with me or not.

So ESO does a few things very well, sometimes better than the big bad MMO's like World of Warcraft. Sometimes ESO does things very poorly, but it's not always in a way that will really affect you. If you spend more time away from PvP and stick to cooperative gameplay you may find more to be happy with in this game, which is what I'm basically aiming to keep with now that I'm ascending through the Champion ranks, which take place after you reach max level. This is a cool idea that takes in some of the skill leveling of previous ES games but forces you to keep the grind going well beyond the level 50 max. You may or may not find that grind all that interesting but it's mandatory to put the time in if your character is to be on equal grounds with others.
  17. Jul 16, 2015
    Graphics - graphical quality is disappointing more like XB360 Morrowind (or Amalur) than Skyrim. And after seeing the quality of the XB1 graphics in 'Destiny', ESO being an MMO is no excuse. But at least you get a choice of 1st person and 3rd person view of the cartoony mid-distance popup terrain. NPC animations (like locations) quickly become repetitive.

Dialogue is average. The

Dialogue is average. The occasional quality dialogue just shows how poor the majority is. Voice acting the same, it ranges from good to poor, but mostly poor. Come on, this is an AAA title! Paying some of the voice actors on the free Skyrim mods may have provided better quality.

Gameplay. The MMO elements elements are really intrusive. You do a quest, and on your trek to the boss the enemies just keep respawning, behind you, next to you, in from of you (if you got them with a bow). Don't bother sneaking, your 1st shot from the shadows at long range and the bad guys are after you like bees to a honey pot. And when you battle the boss in the end room there is usually a horde of uninvited 'other player' guests in there with you. It looks and feels more like 'super mario brawl' than epic fantasy - especially when the boss whacks you and you fly 100' across the room. After you beat the boss get out fast because they'll respawn for the next group of heroes and whack you from behind.

And please put in an 'other player voicechat/nametags off' option. One that you tick and it actually stays OFF instead of turning itself on again. I don't want to see the silly names or hear the babble.

Worst is the pay-to-play 'incentives'. I'm level 10, I've accrued about 1.5K coins by doing every quest I find and how much is a horse? 10K for the base model. But then a steel sword will cost almost 800. Seriously? No, I've just paid £50 for the game. I'm not paying more £ to buy 'in game currency' for a damn horse.

And what's with the cooking? I'm searching for treasure and everywhere in crates and bags I'm finding cranberry and honey and ginseng and recipes to cook food over a campfire. What is this 'Cooking Mamma 5'?

But back to the boss I've just battled. The treasure is ..... 7 coins. Great. So I trek back to the quest patron and the reward is ........ 37 coins and a magic staff. A magic staff for an armour plated warrior. Thanks for that.

The immersion is flowing away like the boss's blood.

But its Elder Scrolls and Its Tamriel and I'll give it a 5 and keep playing for the exploring, the lore and the fluff and the fond memories of Skyrim. Otherwise, it would be a 2.
  18. Aug 7, 2015
    Not terrible, but nothing special.

Elder Scrolls Online can be fun at times, but for the majority of the time it feels like quite a dull and uninteresting world. The game world is massive with tons of quests, but many of the quests are dull and uninteresting and even when you go off to explorer there is very little to find or look at. The biggest fault for me is the combat system.
    Not terrible, but nothing special.

The biggest fault for me is the combat system. At times you will somehow miss an enemy even if you are stood on top of them, yet you will get hit when you are a mile away from them. This can be very frustrating at times, especially when fighting multiple enemies.

Personally, the game just doesn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game. In fact at times it feels like a completely different game with Elder Scrolls references, etc tacked onto it.

I won't mention the weak graphics, or the long loading times etc, as these can probably be expected from an MMORPG.
  19. Nov 13, 2019
    Im sorry i couldn't give this game a higher than a seven but the corporate greed is so toxic and rampant that it overall hurts my enjoyment of this cool game. If you want to buy it because your a big elderscrolls fan like myself you should, but if your just looking for a cool mmo then you should try Bless Unleashed.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 13, 2015
    Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited has addressed many of the issues that plagued the first title. There are still some issues with clipping, connections, and voice chat, but the game is still quite enjoyable with plenty of quests to complete and areas to explore. It isn't the perfect MMO by far, but at least it's one that won't cost you $15 a month and you can come back to it whenever you feel like exploring Tamriel.
  2. Jul 10, 2015
    It may not be the best-looking MMORPG out there and its social tools could use some serious work, but in the end, The Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited offers an intuitive and competent experience for console gamers and Skyrim fans alike.
  3. Jul 10, 2015
    Tamriel Unlimited is neither a great Elder Scrolls game nor an MMORPG for the ages, but it's something else entirely. An addictive if often awkward compromise with an astonishing amount of quality subscription-free content.