- Publisher: Good Shepherd Entertainment
- Release Date: Sep 30, 2021
- Also On: PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X
In The Eternal Cylinder, players control a herd of adorable creatures called Trebhums and must explore a strange alien world filled with exotic lifeforms, surreal environments, and the constant threat of the Cylinder, a gargantuan rolling structure of ancient origin which crushes everythingIn The Eternal Cylinder, players control a herd of adorable creatures called Trebhums and must explore a strange alien world filled with exotic lifeforms, surreal environments, and the constant threat of the Cylinder, a gargantuan rolling structure of ancient origin which crushes everything in its path. This unique ecosystem is a massive, procedurally generated land with unique animal AI, real-time world destruction, and organic exploration and puzzle design to create emergent gameplay that ensures no two playthroughs are ever the same.
Your Trebhums begin at the bottom of the natural food chain but can mutate and evolve with new physical attributes and abilities by eating a variety of flora and fauna. Discover and adapt dozens of mutations, including new traversal skills like flying and swimming to reach new areas, and new senses to help overcome puzzles, challenges and dangers. Your many Trebhums can each have different mutations, and new mutations don't replace ones you already have, letting you stack ability sets in dynamic ways. Each mutation will also change the physical look of a Trebhum and stacking these will generate near countless surprising new creature designs which players will be able to organically discover as they explore this unique alien ecosystem.
* Unforgettable Alien World to explore: Players must explore a gorgeous procedurally generated world which is populated with unforgettable vistas and unique landscapes which have something new to discover around every corner. The Eternal Cylinder features an open-world which allows players to reach and explore any areas which they can see on the horizon. This encourages constant exploration and ensures that there's always something new to see.
* Real-Time World Destruction: Everything in the world can be destroyed in real-time by The Eternal Cylinder, so players must continuously evade its destructive path in order to survive whilst marveling at the visual splendor of its godlike power.
Story Driven Open-World Survival: Unlike many open-world survival titles, The Eternal Cylinder features a deep and engrossing story for players to uncover as they continue to explore the vast world. The game explores themes of family and heritage, and the lasting power of knowledge.
* Build Your Own Alien Family: Unlike standard survival games where you have a main shelter that you can build or improve, in Eternal Cylinder players develop a nomadic herd of unique alien creatures called Trebhums. Players control one Trebhum from the herd at a time and the rest follow (Al controlled) but players can switch to any individual member of their herd at will. Explore the world to rescue more of your brethren and continuously expand your family. Control a herd which can grow to more than 20 members at any given time and imbue each of your Trebhums with their own unique mutations and skill sets. Players can create a custom name for each of their Trebhum, increasing the emotional bond between player and their Trebhum family.
* Unique Mutation System: Although Trebhum's are generally frail and start their lives at the very bottom of the world's food chain, they have the unique ability to mutate and unlock new skills by consuming natural edibles which populate the game world. So, players must explore and experiment with a vast array of fruits, flora and alien creatures to unlock new powers and gameplay options.
* 50+ Mutations to discover: Players can unlock more than 50+ unique mutations as they explore the world, each one of which enable new gameplay options. These include new traversal options such as the ability to fly and swim, but also new offensive moves like the ability to spit fire and create loud warning noises. New mutations allow players to explore new areas and each mutation stacks thus creating a truly expansive skill set which is constantly evolving.
* A Trebhum for everyone: Enjoy a virtually endless visual variety of Trebhum designs, as each mutation combine with one another to create surprising new creatures. This allows your herd to continue to evolve as players explore new areas and players can share the unique look of their Trebhum family with the rest of the world online.
* Layered Survival: Players need to manage multiple layers of resources in order to be able to survive. These include hydration level, various temperatures each with their own impact and stamina.
* Living and Breathing Ecosystems: The world of The Eternal Cylinder is populated with more than 30 memorable handcrafted alien creatures. These creatures vary greatly in size and range from those smaller than a Trebhum, all the way to skyscraper sized leviathans who dominate the horizon. Each of these creatures feature their own dedicated Al and behave in natural ways. Players must learn their unique behaviors and discover surprising ways to utilize the natural food chain to their advantage and interact with every creature.
* Organic Puzzle Solving and Progression: The world of the Eternal Cylinder has been designed to empower players to organically solve its mysteries and progress without the need for obvious prompts and mission logs. This allows for fully immersive exploration which rewards players of every skill level, as the greater majority of the puzzles are not required for progression but do provide unique experiences.
* 4 Unique Biodomes lo Discover ond Explore: Players can explore 4 unique biodomes including alien savannas and infected habitats, each with their own dedicated ecosystems and unique creatures to discover.
* Truly Emergent Gameplay: The Eternal Cylinder's lush procedurally generated world, vast number of mutations to discover and unlock, unique creature Al system, living natural ecosystem, real-time world destruction and organically placed puzzles combine to create near endless possibilities for emergent gameplay and help to ensure that no two playthroughs will ever be there same.… Expand
- Developer: ACE Team
- Genre(s): Action Adventure, Open-World
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 3 out of 4
Mixed: 1 out of 4
Negative: 0 out of 4
Nov 2, 2021The Eternal Cylinder is a fever dream of a title that satisfies a lot of my tastes: exploration, puzzles, survival, lots of different abilities, truly alien landscapes, geometric shapes that desire uniformity through destruction of all of life, and hoarding. Oh, and quite a bit of heart. Nothing here feels so alien that I can’t feel something for this world except the familiar but nightmarish servants that stand out in this world. I think ACE Team has something really special here and I really can’t think of anything else that does all of what The Eternal Cylinder as good as The Eternal Cylinder does.
Oct 22, 2021Ace Team have released their best game yet, a fusion of survival, exploration, and platforming. The world is stunning and begs to be explored.
Oct 31, 2021This is a truly original piece of gaming; an experience full of creative invention, brilliant premise, and the most terrifying piece of world-destroying machinery ever - The Eternal Cylinder.
Nov 3, 2021Any way you look at it, The Eternal Cylinder was a whacky and enjoyable ride. I found myself sad when I lost a family member and felt guilt when I didn’t have enough materials to revive them after death. The fact that ACE Team made me connect to these small creatures in such a small time just proves to me that I will always cheer for the underdogs and always try protect my friends and family. If you’re looking for a simple game that stirs the imagination, you should definitely check it out.
Positive: 0 out of 1
Mixed: 1 out of 1
Negative: 0 out of 1
Nov 11, 2021If you read a lot of reviews for this game you will see most reviewers say their favorite part is when you have to outrun the Cylinder beforeIf you read a lot of reviews for this game you will see most reviewers say their favorite part is when you have to outrun the Cylinder before it smooshes your Trebhums. That is because it is the only part of the game that feels challenging and has a goal. In the other half of the game you wander around the enclosed areas looking for new things to eat and gain powers from, or you can look for more Trebhums, or the game's currency. But unless the game forces you to stay in the area to advance the plot there is no reason not to immediately go to the next outrun section. I didn't explore the areas until halfway through the game when you are given to permanently remember powers by combining items. That's actually interesting, that got me moving around in the hopes I will find the egg or bug needed so I can swim across water or float through the air whenever I want. I liked how the story was weird and didn't try to explain everything, I was worried it would turn into a metaphor or a dream sequence but it never did; the Cylinder is one of the more interesting video game villains in years for just how unrelenting it is.… Expand