8.9

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Sep 28, 2020
    Plot is not as good as it wants to be. Characters, including its lead, are forgettable. Writing is awful. Level design is weak. Graphics are sub-par. Combat is OK. Greater freedom surmounts to greater emptiness (not every game should be open world). Boss battles are tedious. Really tedious. There are many aspects of the game that are unpolished. I fell through the world. Sneak attacksPlot is not as good as it wants to be. Characters, including its lead, are forgettable. Writing is awful. Level design is weak. Graphics are sub-par. Combat is OK. Greater freedom surmounts to greater emptiness (not every game should be open world). Boss battles are tedious. Really tedious. There are many aspects of the game that are unpolished. I fell through the world. Sneak attacks failed me way to often. I don't remember any moments where it felt like I was playing horror game (this is the biggest disappointment). Many of its moments of sentimentality are ruined by feeling distant and being contradicted by the next scene. Example; Sebastian has a long illusion where his wife helps him to realise that he had no reason to feel guilt (for stuff), but in the next scene he seems to have immediately forgot this therapy session and has to be convinced again.
    I liked the original. I didn't like this. At all. Too many ideas. It lost the polish and tension of the original.
  2. Sep 20, 2021
    This game really falls apart after the first boss fight. Gameplay is repetitive and characters are unmemorable. Sebastian looks and talks like **** compared to the first game. Also he is very poorly written as a dad, I couldn’t take his “character development” seriously. The characters felt more human in the first game.
  3. Sep 20, 2021
    Everything is garbage lol I really wanted and tried to like this game but I just couldn’t! I miss the first game
  4. Dec 7, 2021
    The first Evil Within had such charms and this game abandoned all of them. I can see why this game flopped so hard, it's just sad.
  5. Oct 22, 2021
    This game is a downgrade from the first one in every way. Like a weaker sequel of Silent Hill Downpour. The “open” map wasn’t well made. The writing was one of the worst ones I’ve seen in video games.
  6. Nov 26, 2017
    First off, the game looks nice and i think the team who made it really gave it everything they had, and i appreciate that. With that said it controls like resident evil 4 with a wet blanket on it, which makes it really hard to get into the story. Picture aiming down the scope but your character seems to be getting cramps that make them swerve left and right erratically. Sebastian "I knew iFirst off, the game looks nice and i think the team who made it really gave it everything they had, and i appreciate that. With that said it controls like resident evil 4 with a wet blanket on it, which makes it really hard to get into the story. Picture aiming down the scope but your character seems to be getting cramps that make them swerve left and right erratically. Sebastian "I knew i shouldn't have had that bean burrito before plugging in." Story wise is it kind of feels like Max Payne meets Resident Evil and somehow also makes me think of the N64 game Nightmare Creatures in terms of enemy design and they never really come together. I got EW2 (man it's bad that's the abbreviation) with a discount and if i could go back i probably wouldn't pick it up again.

In closing, it feels like suspense in this was confused for poor fighting mechanics. The sound is good, the graphics are pretty cool, but unfortunately, the interaction ruins it for me.
  7. Jan 15, 2022
    The first game was way better in terms of story, atmosphere and enemy designs. The story of this game is terrible, it retcons the first game so much. Some main characters from TEW1 are not even mentioned, which is so weird and unsatisfying. Save your daughter storyline is really lazy and boring. It’s like a cliche movie from 80s. None of the antagonists in this game have interestingThe first game was way better in terms of story, atmosphere and enemy designs. The story of this game is terrible, it retcons the first game so much. Some main characters from TEW1 are not even mentioned, which is so weird and unsatisfying. Save your daughter storyline is really lazy and boring. It’s like a cliche movie from 80s. None of the antagonists in this game have interesting backstory like Ruvik. And it really offended me that TEW2 treated almost all of women characters so badly. Buy The Evil Within 1 instead. Expand
  8. Oct 6, 2021
    In terms of horror, story, art direction and atmosphere this game is such a downgrade from the first game.

The gameplay isn't so special also.
  9. Feb 1, 2022
    Sadly, this game is not as fun or interesting as the first game. We can clearly feel that they ran out of time, money and ideas in the development.
  10. May 22, 2020
    Muito pouca munição sendo que tem chefes para enfrentar.. o jogo não se decide se é de ação ou um survival horror..
  11. Feb 25, 2022
    I played this on PS4 and I hate this game's story and direction so much that I put negative review here as well. If you loved the first game, you would be disappointed with this game.
  12. Mar 2, 2022
    I think this game takes itself too seriously. where should I start… well, the first problem is the protagonist. It feels like they wanted to give Seb more personality than the first game, but they definitely failed to do that. EW2 Seb is just a garbage character, who isn't very realistic and feels like anime in a bad way. I cringed at some of his overacting and cheesy lines. And he isn'tI think this game takes itself too seriously. where should I start… well, the first problem is the protagonist. It feels like they wanted to give Seb more personality than the first game, but they definitely failed to do that. EW2 Seb is just a garbage character, who isn't very realistic and feels like anime in a bad way. I cringed at some of his overacting and cheesy lines. And he isn't even good as a sad-dad protag. I feel that devs emphasized his sad-dadness in this game to make him more human and to make players be sorry for him(I remember one of the developers in tango proudly tweeted like "This game's Sebastian is daddy Sebastian!" on twitter before the game was released), but he isn't really a good dad in this game. His character is very poorly written and poorly developed. This game's Sebastian enjoys shooting game while he searches for his daughter, he is such type of dad. Despite that the devs tries really hard to show us some emotional moments between him and his daughter. I was like just no. I don't care about Sebastian as a dad. I don't care about Lily, who is also poorly-written. Seriously **** The Evil Within 2, I don't care for you at all. Give us back the great first game. Just bring back Ruvik, Leslie and Joseph. Don't ever abandon your own game and characters again. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 24 Critic Reviews

1. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Dec 12, 2017
    A gripping, well-told horror story held back by occasionally awkward handling.
  2. Nov 8, 2017
    From one of the minds that brought us the Resident Evil series, The Evil Within 2 serves as a survival horror delight. It’s a jolting, excellent tale of horror and mystery with a strong story and a driving narrative, plus a multitude of side quests and sub-plots to keep even the most seasoned players engaged and thrilled. It is not a perfectly executed game by any means, but, like the original game, the flaws tend to get buried under the bloody heap of viscera and terror players will experience should they decide to pick up a copy.
  3. Oct 24, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 doesn't reinvent the survival-horror genre but makes it work in more of an open world. Blending it with the tightly directed sections we have come to expect from the genre creates a fantastic horror setting that cranks up the tension only when it's needed. Players are rewarded for exploring and the scarce resources are distributed in a way that you often feel like there is only enough to scrape by, yet it never leaves you feeling under-prepared. Unfortunately, Sebastian's movement and animation often feel disconnected and some animations do seem clumsy in general, while some visual assets noticeably pop into view. Thankfully, these minor issues don't detract too much from the overall package and The Evil Within 2 delivers an interesting and memorable horror experience that is challenging yet fair.