6.7

1. Dec 8, 2018
    The presentation side of the game hits all of the right notes and both the visuals and sound design do a wonderful job of creating a very immersive experience. I was very impressed with the story that was present in the game because it hooked me right from the start and remained interesting throughout.
    As far as card games go this is up there with the very best because it never seems to get full due to the variety that’s present in each game. There are choices you have to make during some sequences and these choices actually feel like they matter in the grand scheme of things. Once you get used to puzzle battles you realize quite quickly how clever some of the situations are and once completed you get a great sense of achievement. There’s a ton of unique mechanics in play at the same time which combine together flawlessly for the most part. The tutorial that’s in the game lacks in terms of depth so you don’t feel fully confident when you first start out. I really enjoy the Witcher franchise and I really like Gwent as well so for me Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales was a match made in heaven. Thankfully it doesn’t disappoint as well and while it doesn’t have the same amount of depth as a full blown Witcher title it equally feels important and enjoyable throughout. I must admit now that I didn’t expect the story to be as profound and interesting as it was here and the choices you had to make not only mattered but they also made the story matter even more as well. As far as the gameplay goes if you like Gwent then you will thoroughly enjoy what this game has to offer. The first thing you’ll notice about the gameplay is just how much variety it has and being able to craft cards means no game ever plays out the same way. If that isn’t enough for you there are also special puzzle battles as well where you have to do unique instructions to complete a specific battle and for me these battles make the game stand out even more. At the end of the day then Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales gets a massive recommendation from me because it has a number of mechanics that work together flawlessly and if you like the Witcher series you’ll be pleased to know that they’ve done justice to the series with this game. Thumbs up!
  2. Dec 6, 2018
    Are you a fan of the Witcher Series? Are you a fan of gwent? If the answer is yes, buy that game! You should know that this isn't a typical RPG like The Witcher 3 but it gives you an intense Story from the Witcher-Lore with superb detailed graphics (looks like its drawn by hand). The fights in this game are Gwent-Battles. You can improve your Deck by crafting new Cards or just play theAre you a fan of the Witcher Series? Are you a fan of gwent? If the answer is yes, buy that game! You should know that this isn't a typical RPG like The Witcher 3 but it gives you an intense Story from the Witcher-Lore with superb detailed graphics (looks like its drawn by hand). The fights in this game are Gwent-Battles. You can improve your Deck by crafting new Cards or just play the Story to "earn" new cards. You can find Loot (wood, gold, soldiers) to craft cards or improve your Base-Camp. To add a little excitement CD Projekt Red put "riddles" in the game. These are gwent battles with special rules and can only be won if you reach one exact goal. Totally funny and sometimes really tricky!

All-in-all Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is a must have for every The Witcher fan and everyone who loves to play "Card-Battle-Games". The Battle-System with Gwent makes sense and is something different than just a multiplayer-battle.
  3. Aug 16, 2020
    DO NOT GIVE UP THIS GAME IN FIRST WORLD!

DO NOT GIVE UP THIS GAME IN FIRST WORLD!

I am a fan of both Witcher and card games and really wanted to try this game. However, experience on first world was extremely painful - on Xbox One X, I would constantly have to wait for map to render and catch up. I gave up this game twice in few 2 hours. I thought that maybe developer will quickly fix this, but was disappointed to discover that this game have been released 2 years ago.

BUT - this issue completely disappeared after first map! So just survive first map and enjoy the rest of the game. Highly recommended game if you like story-driven games and extra points if you like card games.
  4. Mar 3, 2022
    Polish worthless thing, unworthy of the attention of gamers. The Pole got into politics, instead of developing games
  5. Feb 13, 2019
    Очень хорошая игра и расширение вселенной.
  6. Feb 14, 2019
    I have never played a game as broken as this. Crashes, lag, fps drops...its got it all.

Real shame tho; gameplay and story are great.
  7. Apr 7, 2019
    While I expected a standard Gwent experience with a nice story, Thronebreaker delivers above and beyond. For a Witcher fan, it is really enjoyable to discover a new side of the North-Nilfgaard-Scoia'tael conflict, this time from the PoV of the most badass queen of the North, who will often have to choose "the lesser evil" in her journey to defeat Nilfgaard.
    From a game mechanics
    From a game mechanics perspective, developers oviously put much effort into trying to keep things interesting, with a lot of engaging puzzles.
  8. Jan 2, 2019
    One of my favorite games of all time is the Witcher 3 and all of it's DLC. That said I purchased this game as a hopeful expansion to that story with meaningful combat experience, though I knew game-play would be different. My take on what I purchased was a card game only remotely tied to Gwent from the game, which I thoroughly enjoyed because it was tied to the story line and gave youOne of my favorite games of all time is the Witcher 3 and all of it's DLC. That said I purchased this game as a hopeful expansion to that story with meaningful combat experience, though I knew game-play would be different. My take on what I purchased was a card game only remotely tied to Gwent from the game, which I thoroughly enjoyed because it was tied to the story line and gave you bonuses. I found this game to be a very loosely based story line with almost antiquated game play which could be found on a much less expensive game. This might be a great 2.00 game but not for the price I paid. Not happy and would not recommend this. I really hate even say this because I loved the all of the others so much. Expand
  9. Feb 15, 2019
    Great game so far, best card game I played. The gameplay is simple the graphics are beautiful and the story was engaging and phenomenal. If you don't like the card battle system you should still buy it for the story, quests and lore.
  10. Mar 11, 2019
    The gameplay itself was excellent in Thronebreaker as I beat it on the hard mode. But everything outside of the card battles and puzzles I did not enjoy.

Pros: - The game itself was excellent as you battled with cards mainly trying to outnumber (versus destroy) your opponent. - The puzzles were my personal favorite part of the game. I could of just done a game of puzzles. Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
    - Major performance issues on the Xbox. Lag on battles, tiles that were just blank on the overview screen, fast travel and the load freezes.
    - I didn't really follow the story - I wanted to get to the gameplay and the text was too small to read (though they did have voice but again I was impatient)
    - The overview map I didn't enjoy it was hard to tell what you could and couldn't walkthrough
    - I wish you'd start with a new deck in each of the 5 sections. My strategies only changed a couple times in the game.
  11. Apr 20, 2022
    Tout ce qui brille n’est pas forcément CD Projekt Red et le développeur réputé peut parfois faire quelques faux pas… voire se viander lamentablement. Ainsi ce Thronebreaker a été boulotté par CDPR certes mais uniquement par les stagiaires du studio, à savoir très potentiellement des branques et des incapables…

Ce machin est tiré du petit jeu Gwent si divertissant (et pourtant très

Ce machin est tiré du petit jeu Gwent si divertissant (et pourtant très accessoire) que l’on pratiquait dans le gros jeu Witcher 3 : il est devenu maintenant un jeu à part entière avec campagne et tout le tralala mais dont la présentation évoque un indé ou au mieux un jeu simple A ou B-… Graphiquement fort simplet et limité donc même si l’interface des combats… de cartes a été très améliorée… graphiquement parlant bien entendu.

On notera néanmoins une musique de qualité et surtout un sacré paquet de voix (tout est doublé intégralement) des voix françaises bien agréables à écouter dans ce qui s’apparente à un livre interactif en quelque sorte, ponctué de batailles de jeu de cartes alors qu’on fait déambuler son petit personnage dans un « monde » fait à la va-vite en 256 couleurs…!

Hélas, l’interface si plaisante du Gwent original (qu’on appelait Gwynt dans la VF) est devenue ici un fouillis et disons-le, un bordel sans nom fort peu engageant, que ce soit lors des affrontements ou dans la gestion du deck lui-même… Pire encore, les règles ont été altérées et le fameux Gwent a été sévèrement détérioré, inutilement compliqué, transformant le petit jeu divertissant en un gros tas de merde lourdingue, abscons et très énervant.

Quant au « Witcher » lui-même, j’ignore quand il intervient dans le jeu mais on attend toujours… Voilà donc un foutoir particulièrement indigne de CDPR et très décevant, pour ne pas dire très opportuniste et bâclé. Mieux vaut (re)lire les bouquins de Sapkowski si on veut en apprendre plus sur la Reine Meve… et le sorceleur ! et éviter cette daube de Thronebreaker vraiment nulle à chier !
  12. Jun 23, 2020
    Najlepsza gra RPG, która grałem ma swoje niedociągnięcia jednak w morzu plusów giną one jest wiele smaczków na fanów serii Wiedźmin. Moża również zobaczyć jak wygląda historia innej postaci w uniweraium wiedzmina niż tylko Geralta z Rivii.
  13. Mar 8, 2022
    Nationality discrimination? You will get the rating you deserve. CDPараша...
  14. Mar 10, 2022
    games out of politics, juegos fuera de la politica, jogos fora da política

Generally favorable reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Feb 27, 2019
    A charming and atmospheric RPG, with varied by underwhelming card battles.
  2. Jan 14, 2019
    Thronebreaker is a great add on to The Witcher franchise, and it blends in a very unique way with the other games.
  3. Jan 9, 2019
    CD Projekt RED is known for their quality and superb games, and this is no different with Thronebreaker, aside from performance issues. Even as a standalone separate experience from the core Witcher games, Thronebreaker is a great diversion if you’re looking for a deep and challenging card/RPG title, even giving you the option to skip the card portion completely if you wish, allowing for more people to enjoy it how they wish.