- Summary: THPS 5 offers a new take on combo-driven skateboarding, the most advanced Pro Skater online multiplayer experience in a Tony Hawk game, and a state-of-the-art skatepark builder. Ride, build, and repeat.
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 - THPS Is Back Trailer
Oct 12, 2015A decent installment in a long-running series, but this reboot is perhaps a bit too authentic in that it lives up to its predecessors, but fails to exceed them. Since it's been over a decade since the series's fourth entry, the sights might have been aimed a bit higher.
Oct 5, 2015The visuals have their fair amount of issues, the gameplay can't quite measure up between the frustrating missions and poorly placed "slam" technique, and the online sessions need a serious overhaul. It's still playable, and might be fun for devoted fans for the series, but there's no question that a lot more polish could've gone into Tony Hawk's revival.
Oct 9, 2015THPS5 is not the game we deserve. We don't know what happened there, but it's a messy game in many aspects. Still, when its gameplay gets to shine we get some of the feelings we expected from it, so we can only hope for some patches to help it get closer to what it should be.
Games Master UKDec 1, 2015A disgrace. When double jumps aren't the worst part, something's gone terribly wrong. [Dec 2015, p.78]
X-ONE Magazine UKNov 15, 2015Despite some noble efforts to take Tony Hawk's back to its roots, Pro Skater 5 is ruined by glitches, sluggish movement and dull, lifeless levels. What might have been a glorious return ends up an unfortunate swan song. [Issue#130, p.78]
Mar 29, 2016Ever wonder what it would be like to combine goat simulator and Skate Board together? Well Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 is for you. This game is asEver wonder what it would be like to combine goat simulator and Skate Board together? Well Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 is for you. This game is as fun and enjoyable as goat simulator. Game has been subjected by Conan O'Brian… Expand
Jan 20, 2016If your looking for a game that continues the pro skater series where you left off at four, buy this game. I often complain about remakes ofIf your looking for a game that continues the pro skater series where you left off at four, buy this game. I often complain about remakes of other games today trying to "innovate" and completely ruining what the game was originally all about. This game may not be worth sixty dollars but that's not because of the way the game is set up and works. It's because it needs more content. People are unhappy they paid $60 for basically 10 pro skater levels, which used to be fine but people are used to much bigger open world games now. Keep in mind for 100% you can complete all of those levels with every character. This game would be ten times better if it had bigger levels, more levels, more objectives within the levels, more normal character customization staying true to old school skater looks, and a bigger soundtrack. I love the new slam move that speeds up game play making you able to rip through the levels, if you don't like it you can change the slam button to a double "y" tap in the options menu. The wall ride is also a great addition to play. The biggest issue i have with this game is the online features. They are headed in the right direction but still need work. I like how when you enter a level you can see other players as if you just arrived at the skate park. However, i would love a feature where you could choose a level to play high score on and have a server that sets up a huge game with 8+ players ripping through the map within a time limit for a score, or have all the different types of missions within the levels as game modes you can play on all the different maps. I often can't find anyone to play with in the maps. If this game had servers that instantly hooked you up with people trying to do the same this such as high score on school 3, longest accumulated air time on barrics, or longest accumulated grind time on bonfire beach etc. this game would have infinite replay ability for me. As far as the bugs go i couldn't care less, it prolongs the game and gives you a good laugh just like all the old games did. Bad graphics? first of all they are cartoon and not bad, they fit the game. Secondly who cares? if they don't worry about graphics you can expect more titles because it doesn't cost a butt load of money and work to make. This game is a true continuation of the series and i am happy with my purchase. I just wish there was more where that came from for the single player, and online high score matches with a lot of players to really test your skills with other players and give this game endless play ability. I give this game an 8 out of 10 because it's almost a perfect continuation of the series but still has room for improvement.
Next time throw in some grind variations by double tapping buttons like in the underground series and give us more spin ability similar to SSX on the ps3 and xbox 360. I don't care about realistic game play. I want the ability to put together the most ridiculous huge combos possible. Also give us bigger levels, more levels, more objectives in the levels, a bigger soundtrack, more character customization, and high score matches on 8+ lobbies for endless replay ability.… Expand
Sep 30, 2015If you liked Tony Hawk 3 and 4, this one is close to those. I am a big fan of the classic Tony Hawk games and haven't played any of the recentIf you liked Tony Hawk 3 and 4, this one is close to those. I am a big fan of the classic Tony Hawk games and haven't played any of the recent ones (besides HD) or EA's Skate. My review is only about comparing THPS5 to the classics I enjoyed so much.
-This is the hardest Tony Hawk when it comes to challenges. This alone is taking me hours per map.
-There are tons of stats and emblems to unlock and challenges to do.
-It brings back a lot of the things I missed about the classic games.
-I was immediately able to pick it up and feel at home after a 10 year break from THPS games.
-The graphics aren't the best.
-The "retry" function on a mission is infuriating. If I choose retry, don't put a loading bar around the retry button and make me double confirm after a 5 second wait.
-The menus and getting around is not easy.
-At launch at least, the quick join for missions doesn't work in the free skate mode.
-The controls are the same as they are in Tony Hawk HD (clunkier than the PS2 and Dreamcast versions of old).
I still gave the game a 7 because these negatives, to me, do not make the game unplayable or that much less enjoyable. I still enjoy the game quite a bit. I advise watching some videos and making the decision for yourself.… Expand
Jan 22, 2016THE MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME EVER. The first warning sign is that the people who made Ride and Shred came back to develop this. The secondTHE MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME EVER. The first warning sign is that the people who made Ride and Shred came back to develop this. The second warning sign is that review copies were not distributed until the very day of release. The third warning sign is it has a SEVERAL GIGABYTE PATCH THAT IS REQUIRED FOR 80% OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY WORK. Seriously, if you don't install a 5gig patch, you're left with a tutorial and the park editor. Woe is anyone with a slow internet connection. You ain't skating today, son.
Okay, so the actual game is terrible. The controls are ripped straight from THPSHD, except they're somehow LESS responsive than a game on PS3/360 which was, in turn, less responsive than a game on the PS2.
The soundtrack is pretty bad, but it's not "kill me please" bad. I mean, it has SOME punk in it, but it's a lot more poppy than before. What happened to the days of Bad Religion, Rage Against the Machine and Motorhead?
The game is embarrassingly ugly. I don't get why, but the teaser video had pretty mediocre graphics and they're somehow worse in the retail version. Textures take several centuries to load, it can't decide whether it wants to be 30 frames a second or FOUR frames a second, the UI looks like it was made as a high schooler's Unity project.
I stopped playing after about an hour. I really cannot stand this game. According to people who suffered through the entire thing, it doesn't get better. Through the glitches and server issues, the horrible graphics and the dull soundtrack, DO. NOT. BUY. THIS. GAME.… Expand
Nov 2, 2015This is perhaps the worst game I've ever installed onto my xbox, and the biggest waste of money i've ever had the misfortune to spend onThis is perhaps the worst game I've ever installed onto my xbox, and the biggest waste of money i've ever had the misfortune to spend on gaming, ever. I stupidly ignored the reviews and bought it on the slim hope I could recreate the fun and joy from the original games... nope, all I got was a stinking, steaming pile of dog waste. Avoid at all costs.… Expand
Dec 25, 2015Oh. My. God.
Ten years ago, I played Bubsy 3D, and I didn't think it could get any worse. But, holy crap, I was wrong. 2015 was, in myOh. My. God.
Ten years ago, I played Bubsy 3D, and I didn't think it could get any worse. But, holy crap, I was wrong. 2015 was, in my opinion, one of the best years for gaming ever. We got Batman: Arkham Knight, Star Wars Battlefront, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, Halo 5, Forza Motorsport 6, and Cities: Skylines. 2015 was a great year, but then this game comes out of nowhere. $60 for this game?! That's money you could use for Star Wars Battlefront, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, etc.
DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.DO NOT BUY IT.… Expand
Sep 29, 2015Well, its out. I am a MASSIVE fan of the tony hawk games, they rank up there with metroid and phantasy star to me as my most belovedWell, its out. I am a MASSIVE fan of the tony hawk games, they rank up there with metroid and phantasy star to me as my most beloved franchises, so it pains me to say this. WITHOUT NEVERSOFT THERES NO REASON FOR THIS FRANCHISE TO EXIST ANYMORE! There its said.
Robosucko or any other company simply isnt capable of making these games the way they deserve to be made. I am sure several people already have gone through the laundry list of things worng with the game, so im going to skip that. Instead im going to point out the things that bothered ME the most.
1. They put lil waynk in the game! I mean as stupid as octodad is to have in the game this 1 move says everything about how seriously they take game development.
2. The soundtrack is generic rubbish. Usually a hallmark of tony hawk pro skater games this time it seriously all sounds like garbage they found on soundcloud.
3. Slamming sucks! At first i thought it was a neat mechanic, but oh no.. it DESTROYS all your muscle memory from the previous games, you essentially have to re-learn how to play and do combos (more on that in a minute). I think the mechanic itself is part of the developers lack of ability, they couldnt get the physics to work properly so they added a way to force gravity.
4. In a move pretty common among older franchises (::ahem:: elderscrolls! ) they have made alot of mechanics retard easy for the learning impaired children of today. For example it used to be when you lost your "balance" in a manual or grind you FELL, not anymore, nope you just skate right out of it and lose your combo. Maybe its to make up for the asinine slam mechanic being so unwieldy or something but you cant chain tricks together like you used to because theres some sort of "safety" animation in there.
5. No more custom specials. As with #4 they nolonger feel players need to perform quick combos to do special tricks, instead you hit the bumper and you ARE special (kids these days are so "special" it make me want to vomit).. everything you do will AUTOMATICALLY BE a special. I find it insulting, you also cant customize what these "special" tricks are for the record.
6. The art style doesnt fit. Its some sort of hybrid cell shading and it really just looks like sloppy filth i have been seeing on pc for years.. why develop a game using the unreal engine if its going to look and behave like some piece of trash some indie devs made with effing unity?
7. The menu buttons are in the wrong place.. (im inclined to call them start and select) yea, you hit the menu button on the left and it pulls up a menu pane on the right and vice versa. So the question becomes did a mentally deficient person design this game, or did they just not listen to playtesters AT ALL? While its technically a separate gripe entirely in just going to shoe-horn in here the fact that the voice chat is also OFF by default when in free skate.. yes you have to go into the options menu and turn it on.. IDIOCY!
8. Menus. As you go through the game sometimes you will want to add or remove stats to complete objectives (more grind, speed, or manual), to do this you have to COMPLETELY leave the session you are in and go to the main menu and then edit your skater. Since everything is online this means load screens which means a pain in the ass because you then have to go back INTO the map you were just on and choose the mission to do. You also cant simply switch maps.. oh no.. you get to make that trip BACK to the main menu to choose another level.
9. The physics are just plain sloppy. Some times you have to hit balls out of a pool for example, but there seems to be no real rhyme or reason to how far they go when hit at a certain speed. Alot of the times when trying to initiate a tight grind you end up doing a lip trick or cheesing it entirely (because of the asinine slam mechanic). Its just not FUN anymore at this point, its frustrating. Again as a fan of the franchise i am VERY used to frustration, but when the problem isnt my skills but wanker coding its a very different feeling.
10. Generic everything, but especially skaters. Why have any more than 1 skater if they are all going to essentially have the same stats and since skins are unlockable? Theres really no reason FOR It! BUT they went through whatever they went through to put lil waynk in the game.. i hope they dont pay that assclown for anything.. if anything i hope he bankrolled the entire development. The skins you unlock are also less than impressive, be it stickers or heads, bodys or boards theres just variations on 1 thing or another. Several snow man heads, several bucket heads, several cop uniforms, several logos with different color backgrounds. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL HERE!
Having typed this all out i hope it helps somebody. i was going to give it a 4 when i first started typing, but having actually spit it all out its getting a 2. No really, thats all it deserves.. i didnt even cover the gimmick poewerups.… Expand