8.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 13, 2010
    This is my attempt at a helpful NO SPOILER review.
    With popularity you get hate. Halo has gained many fans over the years, but it has also gained many haters. The reasons that I have heard that people do not like Halo are its originality, itâ
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    the best fps for its time,great game a real reason to buy xbox back in its day.while at times story can be confusing its still very great. graphics was amazing back in the xbox days,music was nice.
  3. Oct 20, 2013
    This game changed not only the FPS genre but video games themselves. How many games nowadays don't have a regenerating health system and a 2 weapon limitation. Beyond that Halo is immersive, engaging and a whole lot of fun to play.
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    I still find myself, after years of playing, enjoying this game to it's fullest. Even with anniversary out I still find myself coming back to this amazing classic.
  5. Oct 21, 2015
    Halo: Combat Evolved was my first shooter that i played in my life.
    Its easily my favorite Halo and also my favorite shooter game of all times.
    I just loved everything about this game, both single and multiplayer.(Team Deathmatch was my favorite)
    A true gaming legend!
  6. Jan 16, 2021
    The game that defined what modern fps are today , a game that paved the way for every single title of fps . Halo is king of all first person shooters .. with out it we would still be playing genres like quake , and doom in 2d .. bungee opened open a whole new world of possibilities for the first person shooter genre . Love it or hate it you can not , nor any body can not deny what it hasThe game that defined what modern fps are today , a game that paved the way for every single title of fps . Halo is king of all first person shooters .. with out it we would still be playing genres like quake , and doom in 2d .. bungee opened open a whole new world of possibilities for the first person shooter genre . Love it or hate it you can not , nor any body can not deny what it has brought to the table and what it has contributed to gaming as whole Expand
  7. Dec 21, 2020
    Halo CE is probably the most important first person shooter game ever made in gaming history, this game single-handedly brought xbox on the map and showed fps shooters can be played on consoles as well.
  8. Jan 10, 2021
    This game is amazing, awesome gameplay, interesting story, great atmosphere. A must have if you like FPS games.
  9. Jan 12, 2021
    The game's characters and plot are beautiful, but after the sixth mission, the game starts to get better, but it's a perfect game for two thousand and two years.
  10. Jan 20, 2021
    The best shooter in the history of the game industry. Masterpiece. A charismatic protagonist that you never forget
  11. Jan 22, 2021
    After these years it is still fun to play.

Halo Combat Evolved is for me one of the best FPS games ever made.
    Soundtrack is excellent.
    Game play is still fun and will be still fun.
    Enemies are interesting and fun to play with.
    Story is well written.

Masterpiece.
  12. JesseK.
    May 1, 2002
    This is the best game for the X-Box on the market. "To all system owners who haven't played Halo,you're missing out".
  13. NicholasB.
    Mar 1, 2002
    The best game ever, much better than anything else.
  14. Adam
    Mar 7, 2002
    Actually, I would give Halo an 11. It is the best game ever made in every category, period. If you can give me a better game email me at jeppy10@hotmail.com. I would like to hear it.
  15. DominicD.
    Jun 17, 2003
    I am the Best there is. the best there was and the best there will ever be. you will know me when you see me. you will quiver in fear. Watch out on Halo 2.
  16. KarlK.
    Jul 2, 2003
    ....get this game now, even if you already have a copy.... Have You Played Your Halo Today?
  17. LazyLewis
    Jul 6, 2003
    I think that halo has raised the bar in video games! And all other game designers are desperately trying to jump it! The music is perfect, the graphics are crisp and the game play is magnificent! The only game that will surpass halo in the next few years will be halo 2!
  18. Guyi.n.Yourbasment
    Jan 1, 2005
    If you rated this game or halo2 lower than 9 you have serious brain damage to not see the beauty of both these masterpieces.
  19. BenC.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Amazing game with superb campaign and multiplayer. Only drawback is recycled levels.
  20. MikS.
    Feb 21, 2002
    Best GAME!!!
  21. ERNESTOZ.
    Apr 14, 2003
    The best first person shooter on earth, halo should be name the game of the decade, not stupid gang and mafia games like grand thef auto that look like crap.
  22. EduardoP.
    May 12, 2003
    Should i even speak?
  23. Halofreak
    Oct 7, 2006
    This is the best game ever I bought Xbox just for this game and I was glad when I did the srtory line is so good and the game never gets old.
  24. SamH
    Apr 2, 2007
    This is an amazing game with a great story. But sometimes of the levels were a bit repetitive.
  25. PaoloB.
    Feb 14, 2002
    Even my girlfriend got hooked on coop mode, and my best friend and I just played through the hardest level for the extended ending. Difficulty levels actually make a big diference in terms of numbers of enemies and the more effective AI (if you don't kill them fast enough they're actually smarter than you think).
  26. EricB.
    Mar 11, 2002
    It was so awesome, and I just can't stop playing it! I like the way you can have 2 players fight. It is the best game I have ever played!
  27. JimW.
    Mar 16, 2002
    It's probably the best shooter for any platform ever. AI is off the charts especially when it comes to the big suckers. Multiplayer has some downsides to it, but in general it's the best game I've ever played.
  28. PeteM.
    Mar 12, 2004
    This is a good game. Dont just give it a bad rating to piss people off and feel cool. Done call people who like it "brainwashed" because it is a game with good graphics and the first time around is pretty unbelievable. The single player can be repetitive but u see this was the game that defined the system link. Ive played 16 player system link and damn that was fun. Play that then rate it This is a good game. Dont just give it a bad rating to piss people off and feel cool. Done call people who like it "brainwashed" because it is a game with good graphics and the first time around is pretty unbelievable. The single player can be repetitive but u see this was the game that defined the system link. Ive played 16 player system link and damn that was fun. Play that then rate it again. Im not saying its perfect but yes its as close as we have come so far. I loved goldeneye and perfect dark too people its just that halo is the best right now. Stop the pity party and enjoy it for god's sake. Expand
  29. Shug
    Aug 12, 2006
    Okay mother.....s that hate this game... give me a decent reason this game blows. The campaign wasnt bad and there was no hype towards the campaign so it was what i expected. There was hype on the multiplayer and it has exceeded all the hype by far. It has executed more than expected. It is still to this the the most played xbox live game. And just because you are a computer gamer, doesntOkay mother.....s that hate this game... give me a decent reason this game blows. The campaign wasnt bad and there was no hype towards the campaign so it was what i expected. There was hype on the multiplayer and it has exceeded all the hype by far. It has executed more than expected. It is still to this the the most played xbox live game. And just because you are a computer gamer, doesnt mean every other ... game out there sucks. Hey there are more computer games out there that blow worse than any xbox game. So you can just shut the ... up! Expand
  30. JordanH
    Oct 22, 2009
    Easily one of the most powerful games ever created. It has raised the bar for the FPS genre and given gamers on the fence a reason to get an Xbox.
  31. Legoman
    Jul 16, 2009
    The best FPS game ever. Starting the 3D evolution of FPS games and still my favorite to others I have played. like the Doom series. Awesome!!
  32. JoeyW.
    Nov 13, 2004
    It rocks, i think after the ending theres going to be halo3. for some reason i felt weird when everything felt so different but still i just beaten the game on legendary and man it was almost impossible and i think just because halo and halo2 are on xbox that it makes xbox the best system. what i like about this game is the levels and the master cheif. that old captain that the seargentIt rocks, i think after the ending theres going to be halo3. for some reason i felt weird when everything felt so different but still i just beaten the game on legendary and man it was almost impossible and i think just because halo and halo2 are on xbox that it makes xbox the best system. what i like about this game is the levels and the master cheif. that old captain that the seargent gets his medals from is highly detailed. and the new rides. but if they do make halo3 i hope you get to go around earth and save it the go to a new halo like on halo2 except whith more earth levels. halo2 is awesome. Expand
  33. May 15, 2011
    Why did Bungie make Halo for the Xbox? Why was this game designed like it was. Because it is one of the best games out there today! After a decade I still can not get enough of this game. The story is amazing, and the graphics, even today I still believe they are incredibly impressive. When you are playing campaign and a song with electric guitars in it starts. You know you are playing aWhy did Bungie make Halo for the Xbox? Why was this game designed like it was. Because it is one of the best games out there today! After a decade I still can not get enough of this game. The story is amazing, and the graphics, even today I still believe they are incredibly impressive. When you are playing campaign and a song with electric guitars in it starts. You know you are playing a deep, immersive game. This series will continue to break new grounds as being one the most innovative, fun, and just plain awsome series today. Expand
  34. Jul 18, 2011
    I'm to say one thing about this game. This game was the first game I"ve ever played and because of that game I started to be interested in video games. Because of its originality,AI,story and graphics this game was number 1 in my top 10 video game list for many years until November the 15 which its place will take the anniversary edition of the game. I recommend this game to any gamer whoI'm to say one thing about this game. This game was the first game I"ve ever played and because of that game I started to be interested in video games. Because of its originality,AI,story and graphics this game was number 1 in my top 10 video game list for many years until November the 15 which its place will take the anniversary edition of the game. I recommend this game to any gamer who respects himself and he is not a playstation fanboy who even if he likes the game he will say that its bad because it is not released to his "beloved" console.As I said before I'm definitely buying the anniversary edition. Expand
  35. Jan 5, 2012
    This is my favorite FPS by a mile. I cannot count how many hours I have poured into this game over the past 10 years. The story is epic, the music is a perfect accompaniment, and a well balanced selection of guns. I cannot describe how happy I was when they came out with a remake, since Halo Reach made the original game seem a little old graphics wise. If you dislike this game, then so beThis is my favorite FPS by a mile. I cannot count how many hours I have poured into this game over the past 10 years. The story is epic, the music is a perfect accompaniment, and a well balanced selection of guns. I cannot describe how happy I was when they came out with a remake, since Halo Reach made the original game seem a little old graphics wise. If you dislike this game, then so be it, clearly you're missing something. If you love it, then you know exactly what I'm getting at. Expand
  36. Jun 6, 2013
    The classic that started it all. Halo CE is a great game, for which we have to give thanks for the regenerating shield/health system and 2 weapon system (and thank GOD for that, I can't stand non regen health in FPS's since I played this) It's gameplay is great, it holds up really well even to todays standards, it's just plain simple fun. While the story of the original is nothing amazingThe classic that started it all. Halo CE is a great game, for which we have to give thanks for the regenerating shield/health system and 2 weapon system (and thank GOD for that, I can't stand non regen health in FPS's since I played this) It's gameplay is great, it holds up really well even to todays standards, it's just plain simple fun. While the story of the original is nothing amazing it's set in a really fleshed out interesting universe., and is interesting in its own right. Master Chief as a character is great, I think his very rare speak makes him more relateable than say Gordan Freeman yet not so concrete as to not be a everyman. It has a unique but great soundtrack and it's multiplayer is endless fun, and the game has good modding potential on PC. One of the FPSs ever Expand
  37. Jan 11, 2014
    It is good game because the green stormtrooper reminds me of father Shrek because he is green and badass. You use a painted nerf gun to kill cosplaying lizards, vultures, and fungus men who are high on blue cheese. The only flaw to this game is the graphics aren't as good as the graphics from Bubsy 3D.
  38. May 1, 2014
    Halo: CE shaped modern FPS games, and also has one of the best stories, entangled in one of the best soundtracks of any game ever made. The atmosphere in the game was simply amazing. Sure the graphics are dated, it's from 2001 for god's sake, this was a launch title for the original Xbox! The game was revolutionary in its time, its a classic.
  39. Dec 9, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. Sure it looks a bit dated by today's standards but that's what The Master Chief Collection or Halo Combat Evolved anniversary is for. The story is great and The graphics for the time were great. I have no problems with this game.

Verdict:
    This game is an awesome first installment to an awesome franchise of awesome games.
  40. Aug 12, 2014
    One of the greatest FPS of all time The game the perhaps did everything right
    Even though I hate Regenerating health in every game Halo 1 did it in a believable way(Your wearing a SPARTAN suit that regenerates) and it didnt have full regeneration you also had a health bar when your shields depleted and could only heal using health packs.
  41. Nov 13, 2014
    The ability to throw grenades without cycling through weapons, immense strategy required, an immersive story, and the legendary multiplayer mode have all contributed this to be the best fps of the 6th gen, perhaps of all gaming itself. Though by today's standards it is clunky and old, the action, the mortality of your character, and the Gregorian Chant of the title screen, are not.
  42. Mar 26, 2016
    Want a freebie game to pick up with your purchase of your Xbox console? Look no further to find any Halo copies available on any store that still sells old Xbox consoles.
  43. Apr 3, 2020
    I played the Game on the original XBOX, back at 2013, at that time i already played some shooters and i have to say, i wasn't the biggest fan of the genre. But damn, Halo instantly changed my mind! With Halo: CE Microsoft/ Bungie created an incredible Masterpiece! If it's the Gameplay, the breathtakeing Soundtrack or the interesting story about the Humans and the Covenant finding theI played the Game on the original XBOX, back at 2013, at that time i already played some shooters and i have to say, i wasn't the biggest fan of the genre. But damn, Halo instantly changed my mind! With Halo: CE Microsoft/ Bungie created an incredible Masterpiece! If it's the Gameplay, the breathtakeing Soundtrack or the interesting story about the Humans and the Covenant finding the ancient Halo ring. Nearly everything in this game is incredible in my eye's! The only critic i have about Halo: CE is that some sections of the game seems drawn out and a bit repetitive. But besides of that, i really can recommend everyone to play Halo: CE, it's an really incredible game that aged really well in the almost 20 years since it's release! Expand
  44. Apr 30, 2018
    This is a monument to gaming. Every part of this game defines awesome. The best moments are when those low strings come in, your blood starts pumping and the visuals just floor you.
  45. Feb 15, 2018
    First Major game of my life, played it when I was 4-5 years old and omg I loved the Halo series since then.
  46. May 16, 2018
    this is the legend
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
  47. Apr 16, 2018
    The multiplayer is top notch and the arena gameplay feels simply amazing and satisfying. The warzone mode adds a unique MOBA twist to it and it just feels satisfying pulling a come from behind victory.
  48. Jul 21, 2018
    This game revolutionised first person shooters and was the beginning of one of the biggest video game franchises with one of the biggest universes and lore. The combat is very fun, the story is amazing and the ending is epic.
  49. Feb 5, 2021
    O jogo que me fez comprar a Xbox e adorar os jogos FPS, obrigado Microsoft!!!
  50. Apr 28, 2020
    Melhor game feito nas últimas décadas . Vale muito a pena jogar . Enredo perfeito
  51. Jul 29, 2019
    Amazing story amazing gameplay the graphics are obviously bad for todays standards but in their time they were amazing
  52. Nov 9, 2019
    Halo. The first game i ever played on the original Xbox and it was truly revolutionizing. In terms of gameplay, there were already plenty of FPS action games at the time. But i just think Halo was supremly cinematic in-game aswell as in cutscenes. The opening sequence of the mission "The Silent Cartographer" really brings this point home. Also, the setting was fantastic! And the excitementHalo. The first game i ever played on the original Xbox and it was truly revolutionizing. In terms of gameplay, there were already plenty of FPS action games at the time. But i just think Halo was supremly cinematic in-game aswell as in cutscenes. The opening sequence of the mission "The Silent Cartographer" really brings this point home. Also, the setting was fantastic! And the excitement of investigating this mysterious alien ringworld in outer space was truly memorable. A landmark in gaming history and an obvious masterpiece. Expand
  53. May 12, 2020
    still remains one of the best FPS games I have ever played and still remains a game with a very rich history, amazing environment. Very good
  54. Feb 15, 2021
    What i Like:
    Fun Combat
    Cool Scenery Great Music Great Controls Challenging Immersive Good Story Fun and Exciting Multiplayer Groundbreaking release for gaming Dislikes: Repetitive Map Design and Sometimes Unclear Knowing how to progress Certain Unavoidable Enemies with Rocket Launchers, (you need a crystal ball to know if its coming) Great Game, Still Holds up and is a
    What i Like:
    Immersive
    Good Story
    Fun and Exciting Multiplayer
    Groundbreaking release for gaming

Dislikes:
    Repetitive Map Design and Sometimes Unclear Knowing how to progress

Great Game, Still Holds up and is a breath of fresh air. Would Recommend
  55. May 7, 2020
    This game is Delicious oh yeah thats so delicious oh oh oh deli c c i o u s
  56. May 11, 2020
    simply a perfect game.this is the start of the best microsoft franchise!a big and fun universe with humans,covenants and the flood
  57. Jul 1, 2020
    This game is my favourite of all time, when i played this game it was my first experience with xbox when i got this game at release, to this day it remains my favourite. No game has beaten the feeling i first got playing this game and it has stood the test of time. Gameplay and graphics for it's time were 10/10 in my opinion and even the story reached that point for me, this game got meThis game is my favourite of all time, when i played this game it was my first experience with xbox when i got this game at release, to this day it remains my favourite. No game has beaten the feeling i first got playing this game and it has stood the test of time. Gameplay and graphics for it's time were 10/10 in my opinion and even the story reached that point for me, this game got me interested in the lore and story of all of the halo series, i cannot praise this game enough and i hope halo infinite is up there with this game standing by it's side. Expand
  58. Jul 31, 2020
    A true classic that still lives up to "Killer app for the xbox!" It deserves no hate ever!
  59. May 16, 2021
    Combat Evolved may have aged quite a bit but Halo's legacy is still visible in video games today. To be honest the only reason Xbox survived in the crowded console market was Halo, Halo built upon other first person games' (Half-Life, Deus X, System Shock) legacy and delivered a perfectly-balanced first person shooter experience. Even today Halo 1 is a must-play for anyone interested inCombat Evolved may have aged quite a bit but Halo's legacy is still visible in video games today. To be honest the only reason Xbox survived in the crowded console market was Halo, Halo built upon other first person games' (Half-Life, Deus X, System Shock) legacy and delivered a perfectly-balanced first person shooter experience. Even today Halo 1 is a must-play for anyone interested in video games. Expand
  60. Oct 29, 2020
    Su jugabilidad 10/10 sus primeros 6 mapad 10/10 y solu soundtrack 100/10 gracias bungie gracias odonell por crear tal obra de arte
  61. Nov 7, 2020
    Первый ЛУЧШИЙ эксклюзив от Microsoft! Хороший более-менее разнообразный сюжет, приятный геймплей!)
  62. Dec 21, 2020
    Halo Ce changed the way video games are made and deserves a perfect 10. I'll be reviewing the game as if I was back in the era the game came out as comparing a game that came out 20 years ago to a game that came out today is not a fair comparison, Halo Ce was revolutionary and absolutely set the gaming world on fire, the story, ideas, gameplay, mechanics, weapons, vehicles, enemy's and theHalo Ce changed the way video games are made and deserves a perfect 10. I'll be reviewing the game as if I was back in the era the game came out as comparing a game that came out 20 years ago to a game that came out today is not a fair comparison, Halo Ce was revolutionary and absolutely set the gaming world on fire, the story, ideas, gameplay, mechanics, weapons, vehicles, enemy's and the soundtrack make this a perfect video game for it's era, and one of the greatest video games of all time. Expand
  63. Dec 17, 2020
    I don't know why this game even gets hate! It's from 2001,many of you haven't been born yet, and they talk about it's graphics or repetitive level design, back then games were considered to be for kids, but halo was one of the first games that changed the industry forever, games like half-life 2 or bioshock owe so much to combat evolved. That's why this game is a Masterpiece.
  64. Dec 18, 2020
    Halo Combat Evolved, a game you can trust, halo ce is a place for everything.
  65. Dec 18, 2020
    Halo is microsoft's face and icon. And it all started with this masterpiece.
  66. Dec 24, 2020
    Combat Evolved... I just love that this game is Called Halo combat evolved, it just adds another level charm and timelessness to it, combat evolved is basically a timeless masterpiece in terms of story-telling and gameplay and the influence it had on gaming industry.
  67. Dec 24, 2020
    Combat evolved is a Masterpiece in terms of gameplay and Story, it brought first person shooters to consoles and revolutionized the genre.
  68. Dec 24, 2020
    Halo CE is one of the most well-paced shooters ever, it knows where and when throw story and gameplay elements at you, while i missed this game in 2001, i had the pleasure to play it on MCC on my Series X so, there is no nostalgic opinion here. First of all the game holds up perfectly, the graphics and visuals are still unique and beautiful, the story is basically Timeless and theHalo CE is one of the most well-paced shooters ever, it knows where and when throw story and gameplay elements at you, while i missed this game in 2001, i had the pleasure to play it on MCC on my Series X so, there is no nostalgic opinion here. First of all the game holds up perfectly, the graphics and visuals are still unique and beautiful, the story is basically Timeless and the story-telling is some of the best i've seen in any shooter. The soundtrack is gorgeously executed and it's paced flawlessly.Halo CE is a must-play for everyone and it's huge impact on the video game industry is undeniable. Expand
  69. Dec 25, 2020
    Halo CE is probably the most influential First shooter of all time and one of the most important video games in the history. Back in the day everybody was buying an XBOX just for this masterpiece.
  70. Dec 25, 2020
    The first Halo game, Halo Combat Evolved, is the most special for me, maybe because it was my first shooter, but i know one thing and that's i will always love this game along side with Modern Warfare and Half-life.
  71. Dec 25, 2020
    Halo CE is probably one of the most important launch titles ever made. The original Xbox had so many great classics like KOTOR1 or Morrowwind or Conquer but this game single-handedly brought xbox on the map, it takes nothing but a masterpiece to do that.
  72. Dec 25, 2020
    This game changed my life showed me that shooters can have a deep story, a authentic feel and a memorable gameplay. Definitely one of thr best games ever.
  73. Dec 25, 2020
    Halo Combat Evolved is a Sci-fi epic shooter with a novel story and a timeless gameplay. The soundtrack is probably one of the best in the industry.
  74. Dec 25, 2020
    Halo Combat Evolved Blew my mind back in 2001. Our family just bought XBOX because they thought it was cooler, but when halo came everybody in my family was hooked to it, my brother and father, and my mother loved the story and visuals of the game. Halo CE is a very Special game in many aspects, and probably the best fps ever made.
  75. Dec 26, 2020
    CE is a classic, and probably the main reason i fell in love with XBOX in the first place, Halo CE is one of the most important game in history, CE did everything right.
  76. Dec 26, 2020
    Halo CE is the definition of Legendary, it revolutionized the fps genre, had beautiful graphics, a detailed and deep story and Split-screen Co-op, even Halo CE's controls changed the industry, just look at the control combination of the fps games that came before and after Halo 1.
  77. Jan 7, 2021
    Man, Halo CE was the THING back in the day, Everybody was praising this game from the critics to the retail stores workers to your friends to your mom and dad and so on... This was actually one of the very first fps games that was like a Sci-fi military shooter, this masterpiece came out of nowhere and blew the world away. The Campaign is the best thing about this game, the multiplayer isMan, Halo CE was the THING back in the day, Everybody was praising this game from the critics to the retail stores workers to your friends to your mom and dad and so on... This was actually one of the very first fps games that was like a Sci-fi military shooter, this masterpiece came out of nowhere and blew the world away. The Campaign is the best thing about this game, the multiplayer is fun but the campaign of this game is the best thing the fps genre has offered to this day. Expand
  78. Jan 19, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game on the platform. This is a great SCifi based first person shooter. It is the came that actually got me back into console gaming and collecting. Expand
  79. Jan 20, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was a revolutionary game for the game industry why sony fan boys rating 0 or 2 for this game Expand
  80. Jan 27, 2021
    Perfect in All except the audio in Spanish, but at least it have Spanish audio. Halo 2 doesn't have Spanish audio.
  81. Jan 28, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Totalmente recomendable aún en estas fechas, los gráficos ni presentan un problema ya que las mecánicas de juego están bien pulidas y la historia es magnífica Expand
  82. Feb 8, 2021
    Still after 20 years this is one of the best games of all time. The music, Campaign, and Multiplayer are still great. I recommend buying Master cheif collection to play Combat evolved because its much easier.
  83. Feb 23, 2021
    Everything about this game is incredible, the influence to create most FPS games, the soundtrack, atmosphere, gameplay, story. A 100% 10/10 game a recommendation for anybody who hasn’t played it yet
  84. May 5, 2012
    How do you write a review 11 years after a release. The game will feel dated, it won't look or run like you're used to games running. That is not a problem for Halo:Combat Evolved. The graphics still hold up, even from a different system generation. The gameplay is still fierce and engaging, the multiplayer still robust enough to lose several hours with a few friends, and that'sHow do you write a review 11 years after a release. The game will feel dated, it won't look or run like you're used to games running. That is not a problem for Halo:Combat Evolved. The graphics still hold up, even from a different system generation. The gameplay is still fierce and engaging, the multiplayer still robust enough to lose several hours with a few friends, and that's playing it now. The game has held up beautifully because it was so far ahead of it's time. Colourful scenery with an absolutely incredible soundtrack, the ambiance of Halo takes you away. How do you review a game released in 2001? Quite favourably, it seems. Expand
  85. Jun 18, 2011
    The first Halo is still the best Halo. The story is classic, the gameplay is classic and, whether it be controller vibrations or the time's graphics, it all feels more gritty than the other Halo games. So much was put into this one game that all the sequels, as great as they were, can't really compare. This is a game that you play for the campaign itself rather than some online multiplayerThe first Halo is still the best Halo. The story is classic, the gameplay is classic and, whether it be controller vibrations or the time's graphics, it all feels more gritty than the other Halo games. So much was put into this one game that all the sequels, as great as they were, can't really compare. This is a game that you play for the campaign itself rather than some online multiplayer battle crap (which is also fun in the sequels, but this one didn't have that - unless you got it for the PC) - so it was clear that more time was spent on the story. Sure they spent time on the story for the rest of the games, but the other games can be beaten in a matter of an hour or two, even on Legendary, while I still, at the pace I go at, feel like this game takes longer - which also makes it a more worthwhile experience. This is one of the most legendary games on its own, and if you're a gamer of any kind and have never played it, you should be outright ashamed of yourself. This is one of those games, one of those rare games, that actually define and influence gaming today. Very few games pull that off. Expand
  86. Jan 19, 2011
    I never actually owned this game but I played it from start to finish in one sitting with a friend in coop mode when it came out. Truly a masterpiece and a very compelling reason to own an xbox at the time.
  87. Mar 5, 2011
    Halo: Combat Evolved is a 2001 first person shooter title that took what Goldeneye 007 did for the genre on consoles and improved upon it to make the Xbox the primary platform for what would soon become the most popular genre in the industry. The game features everything a player would want in a shooter game. An epic single player campaign complete with a variety of weapons, vehicles andHalo: Combat Evolved is a 2001 first person shooter title that took what Goldeneye 007 did for the genre on consoles and improved upon it to make the Xbox the primary platform for what would soon become the most popular genre in the industry. The game features everything a player would want in a shooter game. An epic single player campaign complete with a variety of weapons, vehicles and enemies that keep you changing up your strategy and encourages you to try new things. The story draws you in and makes you want to know what happens next to the point that many gamers have stated that Halo was the first game they ever "pulled an all nighter" playing just to get the the end of the campaign. Then you can experience it all again with a friend in co-op or begin your addiction to the multiplayer component that is sure to have you spending many late nights (and early mornings) trying to best your friends a game of capture the flag or slayer. A title that revolutionized the industry and put Xbox on the map. Halo is a must play for any fan of the genre. Expand
  88. Dec 11, 2010
    This game is a true classic in just every way! I remember getting this game when I bought a Xbox and I've been playing this series and loving many other shooters, just cause of this one game. Awesome story, gameplay, multiplayer...EVERYTHING! Do yourself a favour and BUY this one and keep it forever, arguably one of the best Halo games in the series.
  89. Nov 15, 2010
    One of the all time best fps of all time. this game was amazing in its day and like unreal GOTY still has a large number of people who still enjoy the online action after all these years.
  90. Feb 7, 2014
    Manages to be both a great shooter and an epic adventure without sacrificing one or the other to gimmicks, set pieces or interactive movie moments. Great introduction to the universe
  91. Nov 27, 2010
    Halo Combat Evolved may be--no, IS the best game ever made. It has a great story, awesome gameplay, great graphics for a game from 2001, in summary, everything about it is great! I am still playing it, and its sequel, Halo 2, after several years. Halo 3, not so much.
  92. Dec 25, 2020
    This game made history with it's gameplay and story, the people who play a shooter with controller should thank bungie and halo CE, cause if it wasn't for CE, people were still playing shooters with mouses and keyboards, well i'm not saying mouse and keyboards are bad, no, i'm just saying they are not the best way to play halo :)
  93. JaniP.
    Feb 9, 2002
    The best game ever made.
  94. Mar 18, 2011
    Lets get something straight,of course it's one of the top rated game ever, not because of some hoax, but I've beat it on every difficulty setting and I can't tell you how in 30 years of gaming this is one of my favorite games and it holds up to now 2011.Halo Reach is of course the best Halo game ever (debatable),but this is the best game to me because it was made 10 years ago and still hasLets get something straight,of course it's one of the top rated game ever, not because of some hoax, but I've beat it on every difficulty setting and I can't tell you how in 30 years of gaming this is one of my favorite games and it holds up to now 2011.Halo Reach is of course the best Halo game ever (debatable),but this is the best game to me because it was made 10 years ago and still has the graphics and game play to make you want to beat it all over again.I'll tell you that playing this game on legendary setting, it is incredibly hard but super rewarding in the end.Forget about achievements and trophies you get now,the satisfaction you feel in this game out ways them and that's what made games so good in the past and to be honest,it's there with some games but it's not the same!Original Halo deserves a perfect 10 with no doubt about it! Expand
  95. Nov 13, 2010
    Welcome to 2010. This game has been out for 10 years, and to me, it goes on strong. Overall, doesn't beat MW2 or Black Ops, but still is epic. Halo Reach is better due to forge, and multiplayer, and etc., but forget it. Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign can't be beat. I would like to see CoD beat this campaign.
  96. Dec 16, 2011
    Hands down the greatest shooter game I have ever played and one of my all time favorites. The story is good, the entire game is original, and multiplayer is a lot of fun. This is a must buy.
  97. Dec 9, 2011
    The game that resurrected and redefined console FPS's and gave birth to an ongoing slew of billion dollar console FPS games. Here it is. The Sistine Chapel. The Great Pyramid of Giza. The Double Big Mac. The best console FPS ever made! Great campaign. Great graphics. Great sound. Great musical score. Great gameplay. Innovative weapons and vehicles. Oh and PLASMA GRENADES!!!! HellThe game that resurrected and redefined console FPS's and gave birth to an ongoing slew of billion dollar console FPS games. Here it is. The Sistine Chapel. The Great Pyramid of Giza. The Double Big Mac. The best console FPS ever made! Great campaign. Great graphics. Great sound. Great musical score. Great gameplay. Innovative weapons and vehicles. Oh and PLASMA GRENADES!!!! Hell even the multiplayer was epic and feature rich, even if it wasn't on Xbox Live....only because Xbox Live had not been invented yet! I mean how cool was it to be able to change the settings of your mutliplayer gametypes? There's nothing bad to be said about this game. I know, I know, the PC gamers are going off on a tangent about how there's so many better FPSs on PC, and they may be right, but no one can argue the influence this game had on the video game industry and how it changed it forever. Expand
  98. Jan 27, 2012
    Halo Combat Evolved is a must have classic! It is simple, but that isn't a bad thing. Even 10 years on, new stuff can come out of it, with the release of Halo CE Anniversary. This game should be treasured by generations to come, because it is fun, has a good story, and is a purely unforgettable game.
  99. May 27, 2012
    A great game, multiplayer was a lot of fun.
  100. Jan 10, 2013
    Halo: Combat Evolved is the first Halo game and the best. The campaign was amazing and the graphics not so much but the voice acting and gameplay is what makes a good game. Halo 1 deserves 10/10.

#1 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2001

Universal acclaim - based on 68 Critic Reviews

1. Xbox Nation Magazine
    Halo is quite simply the closest thing we have ever experienced to a living, breathing alternate universe. [Jan 2002, p.72]
  2. GMR Magazine
    The definitive reason to own an Xbox. [Feb 2003, p.95]
    When you finally set down the controller the first time, and eventually hunger or exhaustion do force all of us to take a break, Halo has pulled you completely into its world and started one of the best sci-fi gaming adventures of all time.