• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Feb 25, 2002
8.3

1. Feb 2, 2012
    It's quite telling when reviews are spread out so much- either extremely positive or extremely negative. Something to note though, is that the people who voted it low mostly didn't give the game more than a few minutes. Out of the critics, eg people who actually have (or at least, are expected to), there's not a single negative review.
    This game is one of the most outstanding and unique
    This game is one of the most outstanding and unique achievements of all time. It wont be for everybody, and is flawed in some aspects. Fortunately the outstanding parts overshadow the shortcomings parts in a big way- and for a game that took outrageous risks (the soundtrack brings together some of the weirdest and unappealing tracks ever and makes them into something absolutely incredible) pretty much all of it pays off.
    Sure, the level design can be detrimental to the fun factor, by trying to inject difficulty, and it gets a little lengthy if you don't take a decent break between sessions. But playing this through for the second time (third if you count the DC version) now, and it still holds up fantastically. Graphics, characters, style, gameplay... 10 years after release, and it still feels fresher than fresh.
  2. Jan 24, 2011
    Incredibly fun. A great sequel, to one of the most fun Dreamcast games. Few games capture the style and flare this game portrayed. Music, Graphics and fun were all there. A great game by all accounts.
  3. Aug 19, 2015
    I originally played this game for the first time when i was 6. Every month, my dad used to buy a xbox game disc and then, one day i played JSRF demo. As a child i was fascinated by the gameplay, but i lost the disc and after my original xbox broke, i wasn't able to play it for a long time.
    Then i bought a X360 and two months ago, during a comicon, i found an original copy of this game in sale.
    I bought it immediately and i was astonished (for the second time, with the same game, that's rare) by the freshness and innovation brought by the gameplay. Even today, in 2015, i simply can't find a game similar to JSRF (except the original jet grind radio), it was a milestone for trick/platform games, and WHAT A MILESTONE! Graphics were extraordinary for the time and are quite good today, soundtrack is simply amazing and the levels are beautifully designed, with many shortcuts and secret areas.
    I know many of you couldn't give the game more than 5 minutes, and i'm really sorry for that.
    But i honestly think that skating in dogenzaka hill with "I love love you" playing in background is an amazing experience that you need to do at least once in your life.
  4. DavidH.
    Sep 6, 2002
    Jet Set Radio Future is a magnificently styled game, which puts the emphasis on exhiliration and exploration rather than on the precision of the Tony Hawk franchise. The unique style of the game makes it worth a look for just about anyone - the music and graphic style is unequalled at the moment on any system. It's not all perfect - the camera can be annoying, there is no easy way to Jet Set Radio Future is a magnificently styled game, which puts the emphasis on exhiliration and exploration rather than on the precision of the Tony Hawk franchise. The unique style of the game makes it worth a look for just about anyone - the music and graphic style is unequalled at the moment on any system. It's not all perfect - the camera can be annoying, there is no easy way to 'quit' the game to use a different profile (unless you die), and there seems to be no way to get around the limit of three save slots. These criticisms don't exactly spoil the game, but are worth noting. If you could use the memory card, download graffiti images from your PC, and the game was a little longer and more challenging, I'd give it a 10. It won't be the best or longest game you play this year, but I guarantee you won't play anything like it. For that reason alone, along with the fact that it's simply enormous fun, you'd be mad to miss it. Expand
  5. Nov 7, 2013
    An awesome game! The character designs, and graphics in general, are amazing, the music isn't what I would listen to on a regular basis, but it is quite fitting for the game and not obnoxious, the gameplay is fun, and the different places to explore are interesting. The only really bothersome thing is that, these characters seem so fun and cool, so I am wondering why they didn't put inAn awesome game! The character designs, and graphics in general, are amazing, the music isn't what I would listen to on a regular basis, but it is quite fitting for the game and not obnoxious, the gameplay is fun, and the different places to explore are interesting. The only really bothersome thing is that, these characters seem so fun and cool, so I am wondering why they didn't put in more effort into developing their back stories, or giving them much dialogue at all. So, plot wise, it is the littlest bit lacking, but if overall story line isn't what you are looking for, at least in the character development department, this game is definitely something you should check out. Expand
  6. Jun 21, 2015
    Sega hit a home run with this one. Innovative, and for reasons I can't seem to figure out, it never got noticed by the majority of gamers. The only true flaw it sometimes gets repetitive, but the soundtrack makes up for that.
  7. Sep 14, 2015
    This game is so awesome. Many areas and not repetitive at all, you never get tired of it. Love the sound track too, it was away ahead of it's time. Wishing for a remake from SEGA.
  8. Jul 20, 2016
    Hey. My 14 year old Xbox steamed up and died on me about a week ago while playing this so I came here to reminiscence about how I'm going to miss it. Nah I'm just kidding. This game was something else, and way ahead of it's time! There was just really only one thing I had trouble with, and it'd been the controls. I literally couldn't stop dying in the Skyscraper District, Sky DinosaurianHey. My 14 year old Xbox steamed up and died on me about a week ago while playing this so I came here to reminiscence about how I'm going to miss it. Nah I'm just kidding. This game was something else, and way ahead of it's time! There was just really only one thing I had trouble with, and it'd been the controls. I literally couldn't stop dying in the Skyscraper District, Sky Dinosaurian Square, and Dogenzaka Hill with how frustrating getting off of rails and trying to turn away from edges. But it was still fun though you know? To hear DJ Professor K laugh in my face a million times? Oh yeah. Anyway, time to get an Xbox 360 because I'm ready to go get ALL of my 100 graffiti souls back from those street challenges... Expand
  9. Cayman
    Mar 30, 2003
    This is one of those "you have to this extremely tricky bit right and you're going to have to do it over and over till you DO get it just right" games, thus reducing the fun when the difficulty kicks in (early) to zero. The game developers would've been better off giving you a lot more freedom to express yourself while skating. Immature characters/storyline and music don't This is one of those "you have to this extremely tricky bit right and you're going to have to do it over and over till you DO get it just right" games, thus reducing the fun when the difficulty kicks in (early) to zero. The game developers would've been better off giving you a lot more freedom to express yourself while skating. Immature characters/storyline and music don't help matters. I'd give the graphics 10/10 though. Expand
  10. BrianC.
    May 26, 2003
    AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! It sucks so much! The premise, graphics, gameplay... so terrible.
  11. MarkH.
    Mar 13, 2002
    It's is so so so short and simple...and why is it future? This game plays like a 4 year old game. Lack of innovation!!
  12. GrannyO.
    Mar 16, 2002
    I bought this game for my grandchild and later that day we exchanged it to another game since he hated it... of course that is just his opinion.
  13. DCfan
    Mar 22, 2002
    DC rulez!!! Not Xbox!! JSRF rulez!! But not on the Xbox!! DC 4ever!!
  14. ArttuJ.
    Dec 21, 2003
    This game sucks. I can't understand why somebody likes this shit. Music is awful, controls bad and camera loses the moment all the time.
  15. MylesK.
    Mar 2, 2003
    This game was a snooze fest. The graphics.... well there aren't any, and the story line makes no sence, and yeah the game play is boaring a pointless.
  16. JustinM.
    Jan 18, 2004
    I hate this game. The music gets so freaking annoying I can't stand to play the game ever again. That dam music haunts my dreams!!!
  17. ElectroMixaEels
    Mar 25, 2002
    I can see why people are giving so good points and I know that this game deserves more than 2 points. The real problem lies in the gameplay- it's quite too hard. The same problems are reflected from Jet Set Radio on the Dc. The balance between the camera and movement is quite off the range. Anyway, I myself don't fancy this game, but some one else might. Im just being honest, I can see why people are giving so good points and I know that this game deserves more than 2 points. The real problem lies in the gameplay- it's quite too hard. The same problems are reflected from Jet Set Radio on the Dc. The balance between the camera and movement is quite off the range. Anyway, I myself don't fancy this game, but some one else might. Im just being honest, that's all! Expand
  18. GaborA.
    Nov 12, 2003
    An utter joke. Game play? Where?
  19. B.H.
    Nov 25, 2003
    People like this game? I could only stand five minutes in front of the screen with this game in.
  20. Rem
    Dec 14, 2014
    Growing up as a poor child with only an Xbox as a Christmas present, I didn't possess a large collection of remarkable games that I could always go back to. JSRF bucks this trend for me as it still stands as a title that oozes style rather than creativity. Now you may think that would turn it on its own head losing any sort of original concept, but the style and art design of this game isGrowing up as a poor child with only an Xbox as a Christmas present, I didn't possess a large collection of remarkable games that I could always go back to. JSRF bucks this trend for me as it still stands as a title that oozes style rather than creativity. Now you may think that would turn it on its own head losing any sort of original concept, but the style and art design of this game is supremely sublime, one of the best in gaming. The gameplay blends a roller skating mechanism that has a very competent system of tricks and bells that's primarily saved by the flashy art style. And the graffiti aspect is limited to only one trigger, but is fun enough to warrant your attention. And the soundtrack is just....listen to it. It's a mix of Japanese Pop and some artists that really compliment the neo-Tokyo totalitarian soul graffiti skater game, and I love it. Expand
  21. TravisD.
    Jul 7, 2003
    This is one of those games that should not be rated in a one sentance review. The graphics are a nice step up from it's prior game. While the cartoon cel-shading game look is now not very original, It still looks great in this game. the story line in this game is too much the same to the first...same evil man with the same grop trying to do the same thing....but i dont care too much This is one of those games that should not be rated in a one sentance review. The graphics are a nice step up from it's prior game. While the cartoon cel-shading game look is now not very original, It still looks great in this game. the story line in this game is too much the same to the first...same evil man with the same grop trying to do the same thing....but i dont care too much cause the gameplay is too good to pass up. Its great wallriding to a jump and then spraypainting something mid-air....it is very awsome....check this game OUT!!! Expand
  22. JeffK.
    Mar 5, 2002
    This game is highly addictive. It?s just a lot of fun. My only tiny gripe is the occasional wrong camera angles. A must have.
  23. ProducerD.
    Mar 4, 2003
    Great graffix, fun game. VERY annoying gameplay and player control.
  24. TerryC.
    Jun 16, 2003
    This game is insanely fun and addicting. The camera totally blows, which can also make controlling the character a little wonky. Occasionally, they try to put too many things on the screen, which can cause stuttering. It may not be insanely difficult, but it's FUN.
  25. Maxx
    Feb 3, 2004
    This is probably my favorite game of all time. It's original, beautiful, sonically unique and just plain fun. Unlike anything you'll play ever again.
  26. Prophecy
    Aug 14, 2004
    I really really liked it until i got to the final boss u cant sfip the long cut sceen and it is nearly impossible to beat the boss i still havent beaten him and the boss level does get anoying after a while. for the rest no one has ever made a game like this it is a classic and an interesting type of action.
  27. MadsC.
    Aug 20, 2007
    A great game that still holds it own 5 years after its release. The tight and very stylized cel-shaded graphics looks amazing. It is a great game of exploration. Eventhough it can get frustrating on the later levels, it makes the game that much sweeter once you know your way around.
  28. AK
    Nov 17, 2002
    It's really annoyin sometimes thats y it doesn't get a ten. other than that its amazing.
  29. SteveC.
    Mar 22, 2002
    I love this game. The music's as good as everyone says. I do wish it were easier to go back and replay stages from the story, especially the insanely trippy final showdown.
  30. Karb
    Apr 4, 2002
    Awesome cel rendered graphics which makes the gameplay like playing in a cartoon truly and the draw distance is great showcase of the new hardware.

#2 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2002
#31 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2002

Generally favorable reviews - based on 36 Critic Reviews

1. A solid, entertaining game that delivers a high sense of speed and adrenaline.
  2. A game caught in confusion, in one aspect Smilebit have tried to speed up the gameplay and streamline it, yet in removing the time limit and cops that said immediacy is completely lost, what’s the point in whizzing around all of the levels if you have all the time in the world.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    A beautiful game...The problem, though, is that Smilebit is guilty of design overkill, and it negatively affects the overall experience. [Apr 2002, p.142]