Columbia Pictures | Release Date: May 11, 2001
Generally favorable reviews based on 158 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
OfficialNov 15, 2013
What I most hate about "A Knight's Tale" is the soundtrack. When the movie begins, you see a group of people singing "We Will Rock You". Excuse me, this is the 14th century, the song isn't released yet. Ultimately, you'll find that "AWhat I most hate about "A Knight's Tale" is the soundtrack. When the movie begins, you see a group of people singing "We Will Rock You". Excuse me, this is the 14th century, the song isn't released yet. Ultimately, you'll find that "A Knight's Tale" is a silly medieval tale. Expand
ZeTomesJun 27, 2012
Let me rephrase - A Tale, a Knight's one.

Let me rephrase - A Tale, a Knight's one.

Yes, as the title says it's a tale, a fictional story told by someone independently from its time and historicity. This tale was told by the bard Brian Helgeland and it's a refreshing, slushy, musical, theatrical, and epic one like Robin Hoood's, also, it has excellent actors a very fluid narrative, magic, utopia and astonishing costumes and scenarios.

It reminds me Moulin Rouge and its recycling past and present style.

I think it's a case of a wrongly rated movie just because of pretentious historical arguments - perhaps those judging didn't understand that this movie is in fact, a tale! Told by someone's imagination living in modern times triggering merged chronological images from past listened tales or a description of our contemporary archetype of a medieval tale merging past and present. Either philosophizing or not this film is clearly and obviously an admitted chronological fusion. It's the trace of this movie.

In my opinion I think there were only a few bad choices which sounded exaggerated to the audience, perhaps the reasons for the low rating and perhaps the director's will to peremptorily justify that indeed this movie is concerning fictional imagination and not historical acuity, overexposing the spectator with the first minutes of it: "We will Rock You" the initial musical score interacting with the medieval contest is exaggeratedly slushy and without convincing extras. It sounds pompous. I was about to quit this one after those first few minutes.

But one should move on (in some cases indeed one shouldn't) and rate a movie not by its pieces but by its whole, continuing to check if the initial impressions were right. In my case they weren't. I was surprised. For the rest I'll take my hat to a very entertaining, humorous and fresh piece of work with very talented acting. It reminded me my imaginary stories dressed with fancy modern clothes wondered from tasty tales read in old books.
alejandro970Mar 11, 2022
A story about dueling knights in the medieval era was basically a good idea. However, it lacked some heart and substance for us as a viewer to sympathize with the characters; I no longer mention that interspersing modern rock songs looks veryA story about dueling knights in the medieval era was basically a good idea. However, it lacked some heart and substance for us as a viewer to sympathize with the characters; I no longer mention that interspersing modern rock songs looks very out of place. Expand
jonslowJan 8, 2019
Xolt3cNov 17, 2020
Bad acting, slow paced, and poor direction. There was not a single scene that make laugh and there's nothing interesting in the story nor fresh about it. You can skip this one without regret.