Universal Pictures | Release Date: September 27, 2019
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 52 Ratings
Watch Now
Creeper3455Sep 30, 2019
Man,these animated redheads are getting hotter and hotter,aren’t they… Also,reminder that the best “character with dad struggles” (in space) movie is still playing in theaters now in Dolby Cinema and IMAX. Hurry before Joker rolls in a beat.Man,these animated redheads are getting hotter and hotter,aren’t they… Also,reminder that the best “character with dad struggles” (in space) movie is still playing in theaters now in Dolby Cinema and IMAX. Hurry before Joker rolls in a beat. Anywho.

For the longest time,I somehow had this long sense of dread waiting for Abominable. Judging from the trailer,it looked like the worse version of the Animated Roadtrip movie with a little ET,with some bizarre aesthetics and the weirdest character design I’ve seen for a Yeti that is purposely made for merchandise and cuteness factor (as Universal’s braindead Executives wanted). BUT,it had the benefit of having Jill Culton back. Yeah! The Pixar veteran and director of my kind of “Thrill-A-Minute” movie,Open Season,which is kinda criminally underrated to this day.
So I pull the Jurassic World 2 (where I would go to hell if I ever spent a dime to see a dead-on-arrival Franchise Movie or an original idea from Universal,so I go full-on pirate mode),I sit on my bed and finally see it,curious about how it’s going to turn out to be,and,while it’s not terrible (or good in that matter),I was kinda surprised,as well as enjoying myself through some of its runtime. The best thing I can say is that Culton is trying her best to make sure you care about these characters,their goals and the journey they’re taking,predictability or not. It definitely benefits of having a pretty aesthetic that,although still crowded with problems,manages to still give the movie a unique look. Forgettable? Yeah,sure.
And it has its moments where I’m sure the kids will have a chuckle or two,since it’s sort of hilarious in “several” moments.
And Everest (the Yeti) is amusing. It’s so not the bumbling doof the trailers set it out to be,as he,at least,has some range of emotions besides being just another Minion that Universal needed to **** out to make sure that “It’s cute and marketable”.
Unfortunately,that’s where my goods stop,since the rest is pretty questionable,to say the least. Sure,the Animation is stellar,but the Character Design was kinda bizarre. Like,I’m not joking when I think Yi (played by Agents Of SHIELD’s Chloe Bennet) is basically Collette from Ratatouille,but if someone squashed her head to “Hey,Arnold!” lengths,and the main baddie,although covered with a pretty cute twist,still looks like Charles Muntz with a more cartoonish head.
And the fact that it’s set in China makes it all the more hateful for me,because again,while gorgeous,still feels like Universal trying to make a quick buck from China (which is apparently working,because we’re dumb idiots,right?). Basically that whole 3rd Act from The Meg,only if it lasted 1h30’ because of CASH.
And the best way I can see this could be like Okja,the Bong Joon Ho movie that has similar things in common. I wouldn’t give a flying hell about it,but hey. I’m pretty sure it has its Audience. So yeah. Still “A Universal Animated Movie”,but not as bad as the title sets you out to think.
August21Oct 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They put political into a movie for children, unacceptable. Very disappointed Expand
ChinadogOct 14, 2019
Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bòTrung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Trung quốc ăn cứt. Đường lưỡi bò cái cứt. Expand
amheretojudgeOct 2, 2019
No more worrying about the red sirens, not donuts but candies are popped in those cars.

Abominable Dreamworks is no Pixar or Disney. Dreamworks in its own words remains a dream. The filmographies that comes under its banner is a mixed bag

Abominable

Dreamworks is no Pixar or Disney. Dreamworks in its own words remains a dream. The filmographies that comes under its banner is a mixed bag of feelings for me. And if those mixed feelings have subjects like ineffective procedure bad mouthing the film, the idea is always something you could rely upon. At least it used to come under the "what if" list and provokes an interesting debate in the bar. But this time, even that idea is rotten. Outdated, to be honest. And not outdated like years or decades ago, but recently.

We've had such topics rubbed on our faces multiple times by these banners as an excuse of either rediscovering a world or humanizing a new creature or ten other topics that would make them animate adorable faces for us to swoon over them. And as far as "cuteness", as the kid says these days, is concerned there is no holding back. Even someone evil voiced by Sarah Paulson is given a curly red hair and big glasses to be easy on the eyes. But this is as far as the animation goes. It is colored too innocent and too pretty to balance the world with something dirty.

And there comes a pivotal point where it has to choose and spoil its hands. It goes without saying that the opportunity is missed embarrassingly. The other reason why the texture doesn't feel realistic or animated is the detailing. And you can see that quite clearly when it comes to wide shots and the world that it shows that looks like is drawn by a four year old kid. As mentioned, beautiful, cute, and colorful. Abominable never had any chance to be beyond a kid's show, something how they define it, although I wouldn't.
OlivierPielOct 6, 2019
...meanwhile in Tibet and Xinjiang, and now in Hong Kong, my city, millions are oppressed and far worse (organ harvested, sent to concentration camp, shot etc...). Chinese propaganda, like the snake in the Jungle Book, knows it's better to...meanwhile in Tibet and Xinjiang, and now in Hong Kong, my city, millions are oppressed and far worse (organ harvested, sent to concentration camp, shot etc...). Chinese propaganda, like the snake in the Jungle Book, knows it's better to hypnotize the lazy, mawkish Western audience and engage willing fifth columnists (Hollywood - to which only South Park dares to raise the alarm) to sap its foundation than to confront it with Riefenstahl-like propaganda films (these ones -brazenly imperialistic- are reserved for the local Chinese audience).
Wake up America!
AavvySep 29, 2019
Awesome movie. The best animated movie till now showing us the way to protect animals
TVJerryOct 4, 2019
This animated adventure takes place in China, where a young trio sets out across their vast country to return a young Yeti to his Himalayan home. Nothing about this movie or the characters are exceptional, but it's simple charms and livelyThis animated adventure takes place in China, where a young trio sets out across their vast country to return a young Yeti to his Himalayan home. Nothing about this movie or the characters are exceptional, but it's simple charms and lively energy keep it sufficiently entertaining for young minds. The script and the performances are pretty standard, but there are some lovely moments of animated fantasy. Expand
PanchogulOct 1, 2019
Una comedia familiar llena de aventuras, ternura y mucha diversión.

Una comedia familiar llena de aventuras, ternura y mucha diversión.

Aquí realmente no hay nada malo que decir al respecto porque la película habla por si sola, el personaje de Everest obviamente se roba la película con cada acción que realiza durante toda la aventura junto a sus amigos, te encariñas con el y quieres que su destino final sea positivo y satisfactorio, una película para grandes y chicos.
JLuis_001Oct 4, 2019
Nothing new, you have to be honest about that, but its quality is stable and noteworthy. And I say that because this film wouldn't have to have bet on anything considering its target audience and yet manages to go forward with its proposal.Nothing new, you have to be honest about that, but its quality is stable and noteworthy. And I say that because this film wouldn't have to have bet on anything considering its target audience and yet manages to go forward with its proposal.

It was fine.
manningn15Oct 8, 2019
This was a beautiful movie. The story and writing was really touching and beautiful. The animation was spectacularly beautiful. The music was phenomenal and I really loved the violin music. The voice over performances were excellentThis was a beautiful movie. The story and writing was really touching and beautiful. The animation was spectacularly beautiful. The music was phenomenal and I really loved the violin music. The voice over performances were excellent especially from Eddie Lizard, Sarah Paulson, Albert Tsai, Chloe Bennett, Tenzing Norgay Trainor, Tsai Chin, and Michelle Wong. This is one of my favorite movies of 2019 and one of my favorite movies of all time. Expand
GLADIADORSep 30, 2019
Divertido e um bom entreterimento, apesar das piadas não funcionarem, mais da para sem entreter com o filme
SirDidymusOct 1, 2019
A satisfying experience with charming characters and decent writing. Worth the price of admission.

B-
IbelieveOct 4, 2019
Saw it with the family, we all loved it. Would recommend and definatly buying when it comes to DVD
Evelyn13aOct 6, 2019
It is a good movie it’s is like a lesson is the best movie a could ever watch it ain’t bad at all is the best movie u should watch it
brittanylauraaOct 8, 2019
One of the cutest movies i have ever seen! Also, very well put together for a kids movie.
Compi24Oct 15, 2019
Whether you've seen it in another film from the same studio (i.e. "How To Train Your Dragon" or "Home") or any other family film in general (i.e. "Missing Link," "Lilo & Stitch" or "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial") you've definitely seen thisWhether you've seen it in another film from the same studio (i.e. "How To Train Your Dragon" or "Home") or any other family film in general (i.e. "Missing Link," "Lilo & Stitch" or "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial") you've definitely seen this story before. That aside though, this is still a treat for the eyes -- albeit intermittently, and only during the sequences where it knows it has to be -- with an undeniably cute mythical beast at the center of the proverbial stage. I only wish that the narrative stylings and humor were as well realized as some of the set pieces and character designs are. Expand
HealingToolboxOct 25, 2019
Contrary to some pro critics, I found this far LESS COMMERCIAL than 95% of feature animation. As the third of three yeti animated films in production at about the same time, the plot can't avoid many familiar tropes. Still the tropes andContrary to some pro critics, I found this far LESS COMMERCIAL than 95% of feature animation. As the third of three yeti animated films in production at about the same time, the plot can't avoid many familiar tropes. Still the tropes and plot holes keep things moving between unusually inspiring and sometimes unique scenes of uplifting visual poetry. For me the high point is right before act three, where they meet the Buddha. This scene is not even mentioned in any pro review I've read so far. The movie is also blessed with the pleasures of ultra-realistic Nature animation, including water movement animation, a beloved staple of Chinese animation and CGI efforts. On the other hand the movie is saddled with being--I think--a trial balloon to see if Chinese audiences respond to a Pixar-level effort tailored to Chinese cultural tropes, sensibilities and tastes. On the plus side again, the apparently female-led, female-dominated creators of Abominable demonstrate amazing collaborative skills getting this made, at a high level of quality, given its brief to straddle both Western and Chinese sensibilities. Expand
Tony1984Oct 14, 2019
A family-friendly feel good movie set in China, which is a nice change of pace. Very sweet, funny and enjoyable. My family loved it. Thumbs up.
JumpCut_OnlineOct 20, 2019
Pretty much the only negative thing I can say about Abominable is that what should have been one of the most beautiful sequences is unfortunately paired with Coldplay’s extremely over-used Fix You. The violin-based score is sumptuous enough,Pretty much the only negative thing I can say about Abominable is that what should have been one of the most beautiful sequences is unfortunately paired with Coldplay’s extremely over-used Fix You. The violin-based score is sumptuous enough, without needing variations on tired pop songs slapped onto the soundtrack. This film is a great tourist film for China, showcasing some of its most well-known landmarks across the two and a half thousand mile journey (which they seem to mostly walk…?). There are some pretty heavy themes, from the fairly common zoological concerns (which also cropped in The Missing Link) of just leaving animals and creatures where they are instead of hunting or collecting them. But also the theme of Yi’s grief getting in the way of her appreciating the family that she has left and living her life to the fullest. As with all great animations, this means that the film can be enjoyed on multiple levels, by all members of the family. Here is hoping that this original story gains an audience and is a success, as there are several factors that could have encouraging knock-on effects if it does well at the box office. It’s not part of a franchise or the Disney behemoth, it has non-Western characters and setting and is written and directed by a woman. Abominable really deserves to be seen on a big screen, as it is just dazzlingly radiant to look at. Everest should become a beloved creation, very much in the vein of Toothless and the film has a funny and entertaining voice cast (particularly Izzard and Paulson). The family and the friendships at the centre of the story feel real and relatable, as fantastical elements only work if they swirl around something grounded in humanity. Abominable achieves this balance with some finely-tuned skill and as it is a rare animation that doesn’t have a huge team of writers, kudos must go to Culton. Expand
BrunoVn00Dec 11, 2019
Wow I didn't realize that Dreamworks re-released Missing Link! There was just a 5 month gap!
Wait, this isn't Missing Link, right?
Wait, this isn't Missing Link, right?

To be fair, while it has the same done to death concept as Missing Link (the characters discover an exotic creature that is trying not to be captured by the villains) it tried to be something different by giving it a "fantasy" twist. The Yeti (whose name is Everest) seems to have like powers or something like that. It seems that the writers thought that they had a good idea on paper, but didn't know how to execute it. So, they executed it in a really bland and formulaic way. I can't say this movie is totally predictable because there were some things that I actually didn't see coming, but those things were really dumb.

First of all: The visuals. They look fine. I thought that at times they looked a bit cheap but I forgive it because this was made with a pretty small budget compared to other Dreamworks movies like HTTYD 3. It might be the least expensive Dreamworks movie since Captain Underpant's insanely low budget (for a mainstream production). There are some nice colors and I think that the presentation is one of the few things I genuinely liked. I wasn't a big fan of the character design however, because the characters, honestly, look like rejects from other movies. Like, the protagonist (Yi) looked like an unused design for Gogo from Big Hero 6. I don't know, I think that the character design is, not bad, but really nothing special and forgettable.

The actual characters...Well...They have no characters. No motivations,nothing. Yi might be the only character that had SOME depth, but in the end even she was really underdeveloped. The rest of the characters are just one note. There's the fat kid who is in the movie just to be annoying with his annoying voice and then there's the other guy, who is like very metrosexual. The generic egocentric guy who only cares about his personal image and has probably some of the worst dialogue. He frequently says things like "Uh this photo isn't getting enough likes" or "Hashtag selfie" or those cringy sh*t. Writers, please, make sure to avoid using any "Internet" terms unless is essential to the plot, because, seriously, the movie won't age well. The villains are just insane. One of them has absolutely no motivation. Like, why does he want Everest? Because he wants to have a collection of rare creatures of something? Even Charles Muntz from UP who also had a similar motivation of "get the creature" was more fleshed out because he actually had a personality. This movie's villains don't have any character. Again, just paper thin characters.

The writing is really bad. Well, it's not like, Arctic Dogs or Uglydolls level of bad, but it is filled with tons of plot conviniences and really bad dialogue. The story, like I said, had really stupid plot conviniences. Everything seems to happen just because the script says so. Many events in the movie don't make sense and don't feel natural. The movie failed to make me be invested in the story and to care about the characters. Everest's powers seem to work just because the plot demands it. I never saw the limits of his powers he could just do whatever he wanted apparently.

Some of the music was decent, but there were times in which the movie used licensed music and...It just didn't work. I start to disagree in the use of licensed music in movies, because there are a lot of movies where they make wrong use of it. By that I mean that sometimes movies put music that doesn't fit the tone or the scene at all and probably did that because the music sounded good. Again, writers and directors: DON'T use licensed music unless the lyrics and music genre feel appropriate.

Overall, I don't consider this "wasted potential" because, honestly, I don't know how to make a great movie out of this done to death concept. What I think it could've been more cool is to make the movie be set in like a village outside the city and make Yi like an orphan. I would've liked that better because Yi's family is basically pointless in the story and the way they end up outside the city is just stupid.

In conclusion: Below average movie. It looks nice but everything else, while not bad, is just...Meh. I never thought I would say this but Missing Link is way better. I don't like Missing Link because it is also a pretty mediocre movie, but at least that one was so much more entertaining and had some good humor, but this one...Just felt like a waste of time.
Kbetts16Oct 5, 2019
This movie was an amazing cultural experience! The movie was well planned out and is a fun family story to sit back and enjoy the ride together.
bokchoi1018Oct 15, 2019
A good family movie that anyone can go and have fun, and receive some heartfelt messages.
trunghieunguyenOct 21, 2019
"Say "No" with "Abominable"
The film, produced by DreamWorks of the United States and the Chinese company Pearl, used the image of "cow's tongue line" to propagate and provide false information to viewers.
This action seriously violates the
"Say "No" with "Abominable"
This action seriously violates the influence of sovereignty, sovereignty as well as territorial and territorial integrity of Vietnam in particular and international friends' perception of Vietnam's sovereignty in general.
It must be emphasized that this is not the first time that the "cow's tongue line" or false information has appeared "officially" in the media and entertainment.
The sovereignty of territory and territorial waters of the national border is always extremely sacred, any omissions and mistakes affecting the national sovereignty are expressed in a sense of irresponsibility, irresponsibility, impudence. in the work of the individual (or the collective)."