Twentieth Century Fox | Release Date: September 20, 2019
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 481 Ratings
Watch Now
xenogSep 20, 2019
A mission is sent to Neptune to search for extraterrestrial intelligence, as it is evident that this resource is dwnindling on Earth.

At the start of the twenty-first century Hollywood ran out of competent storytellers and writers, churning out a lithany of low quality films with flashy special effects. The arrival of computers led creators to believe that they no longer needed to write stories to accompany the moving images they produced. Films could not spark the imaginations of filmgoers, leading to progressive degeneration of people's cognitive ability. Our only hope was to set up a lunar base, and one on Mars, so that we could send a mission to Neptune in order to possibly get an extraterrestrial intelligence to send help before it was too late.

But it was too late. Roy McBride went to space at the end of the 21 century to deal with his daddy issues and save the mission sent out to find extraterrestrial intelligence. He got psychological evaluations every five minutes, as the creative black hole that consumed our planet left him in a state of psychological disarray.

By the time the aliens arrived at our planet they found billions of whining dumbed down ape-like creatures that entertain themselves creating and watching pointless movies on small screens manufactured by ancient automated robots that nobody understands anymore.
inopinatusSep 28, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excruciating, nails-down-the-blackboard stuff for anyone with a science education or familiarity with the works of Joseph Conrad or human behaviour. This hairdo edition of Heart of Darkness violates basic physics in practically every scene, and the storyline, far from reaching for the stars as the title might suggest, never gets past reaching for the mood stabiliser pills.

The narrative construction is ridiculous from start to finish, whether it's the confected "power surge" crisis, the moon pirates, the decades-long but oddly mundane exploratory mission, the Murderous Space Baboon (no, really), or the gross misunderstanding of Project Orion-style propulsion, and everything in between.

Brad Pitt's flat affect is ideal for portraying a man with a flat affect and unresolved issues with his father, but there's little depth of hidden feeling here.

The director intended for the film to feature "the most realistic depiction of space travel that's been put in a movie". Well, it ain't. It's one of the least realistic. The rocketry is drivel from start to finish. Konstantin Tsiolkovsky is turning in his grave. The depiction of orbital mechanics is not merely flawed; major plot elements of the film depend on them being radically different to real world physics.

There are three scenes with aerodynamic significance. In the first, where aerodynamics are used to create a false sense of danger, there isn't any real danger, and in the second and third, the director seems to be entirely unaware that in the real world the maneuvers depicted would be sensationally difficult, dangerous, and probably fatal.

The idea that a spaceship on interplanetary transfer can make a quick "stop" to board another one is as absurd as the (impossibly) brief transfer they were already making. Basically the director has assumed that humans can survive G-forces that would turn real people into smeared pulp.

The energy physics of the confected "crisis" involving "antimatter surges" is just invented babble.

The idea of traveling to Mars, in person just to radio Neptune is drivel. We already have bidirectional radios and relay stations reaching further.

The psychology of every crew depicted has more in common with schlocky sci-fi-horror video games than with real-world hiring practices. Basically it's your choice between steely-eyed-missile-men, or hopeless flakes that in a highly regulated society (such as that depicted) would never have been in a cockpit at all.

There isn't a single scene that stands up to a moment's scientific scrutiny. Comparisons with 2001, Gravity, or even Interstellar are just bunk.

There isn't a single scene of literary significance, either. Comparisons with Heart of Darkness are fair, but unlike Coppola's work, only negative ones. All the allegorical significance is clobbered by the effort to portray a character rather than a society.

In the end, it turns out that Ruth Negga's turn as a burned-out Martian is the only good thing in this film, and her outfit rocks.
MFCOct 6, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Can't believe this movie is getting any good reviews. Linear, superficial, soppy and dull. Expand
abtothestractSep 21, 2019
Slow-moving and heavy-handed, repeatedly violates the "show don't tell" dictum with repetitive narration
donelsonSep 20, 2019
Ad Astra
Ad Astra
A pitiful reworking of Heart of Darkness up the river to Neptune. Dullest movie of the year so far, with an uninterrupted 45 mins of Brad Pitt closeups thinking meagre and whiny thoughts out loud. Terrible. Also, the most cringeworthy, stupid space physics and "science" I've ever seen in a modern sci-fi film.
xerifeSep 21, 2019
Slow, boring and silly movie... a waste of time...I wanted to leave the theater but waited and waited to see if something extraordinary would happen towards the end and turn a bad movie into something worth it. didn't happen...
DhSantaFeSep 22, 2019
I’m a sci-fi fan and was looking forward to this film. It was one of the worst sci-fi films I have ever seen. Correction: it was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Clearly, the producers thought that casting Pitt would excuse allI’m a sci-fi fan and was looking forward to this film. It was one of the worst sci-fi films I have ever seen. Correction: it was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Clearly, the producers thought that casting Pitt would excuse all shortcuts and low-budget cost-cutting that was needed.

With a budget of $85 million, reported, they clearly decided they could not afford to hire a reputable physicist-consultant. The abject disregard of physics made this film laughable. And pathetic. Want to see a film that actually thinks the laws of physics are real? Watch “The Expanse”, or better yet, read it, I was embarrassed to spend money seeing this film. I will lie if someone asks me if I’ve seen it.
rose_rdSep 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once again, I am shocked at the degree of corruption among movie reviewers - it's quite evident that these people are either extremely purchasable or hopelessly pretentious. Ad Astra is the worst space movie to come out in recent times. Terrible writing overall, with shallow, one-dimensional characters who are about as memorable as the cold rice porridge I had this morning. Brad Pitt spends most of the movie rambling to himself about his daddy issues, and it all comes off as terribly pretentious - I don't even know what theme they were trying to explore with this movie, but it just fails. I don't even remember the character's name, despite the movie being very focused on the character's relationship with his father.

The science in this movie is bad enough that it was impossible to suspend any disbelief. Like Mr. TorinHill said, I could not help but gasp due to the sheer mediocrity of the scene where the main character grabs a thin metal shield and just...floats through the rings of Neptune, which are depicted as being an asteroid field a la Star Wars, about maybe a few hundred meters thick. It's a goddamn travesty and all of it is rather pointless and stupid, and contrasts with this movie's failed attempts at portraying itself as a science fiction movie with gravitas. Light speed and other factors are also completely ignored.

There is no main plotline. Through the course of the movie, the focus is either on resolving a generic world-ending crisis caused by an ' electrical surge' caused by an antimatter leak in a spacecraft in Neptune, which is the worst excuse for a fictional existential threat that I've ever seen, due to the exposition being pathetically weak overall - nobody ever explains why the spacecraft ever had any anti-matter at all. The protagonist's father spends decades either travelling to Neptune or doing research there, nothing is ever made clear. What's evident is that the character can just zip over to Neptune in a few months, which makes the other plotline, involving investigating his father's disappearance over Neptune (a decade after the fact) weak and pointless. Someone would have done it already. Anyway, there is no coherent plotline to speak off. It all ends stupidly and without meaningful resolution.

Disgusting. Weakest performance by Brad Pitt in decades, as someone else said. I want two hours of my life back.

One point for the Moon and Neptune visuals.
GreatMartinSep 20, 2019
Being as nice as I can, and a Brad Pitt fan, I would not call this the worst movie of the year, though it is certainly a contender, let's just call it the worst Brad Pitt movie ever!

Instead of making a large, long list of negatives like it

Instead of making a large, long list of negatives like it is one of the longest 2 hour movies I have ever seen let me just tell you not to see it!
jwcritic123Sep 22, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains spoilers, but really, is it possible to spoil dreck? What I find even more offensive than the existence of this God-awful, pretentiously-titled, horribly contrived, and plodding movie is the fact that prominent film critics are pretending to adore it. It’s as if a child with muddy sneakers walked around on a blank canvas and the experts proclaimed “Brilliant!”, “Marvelous!”, “A Master Work!”. Even the highly over-rated and ludicrous Gravity had a single redeeming feature: it was truly visually stunning. In contrast, many of the effects in Ad Astra are almost Buck Rogers amateurish, while at best the film breaks zero new ground in the CGI department. It’s rare that I watch a big budget feature movie and can’t find ANYTHING to praise. Plot, nope. The number of plot holes and suspension-of-beliefisms are far too numerous to track. The laws of physics be damned, your average Marvel comics flick is more scientifically plausible. Objects and astronauts hurtle toward each other at breakneck speeds only to magically slow down at the last second and thus avoid catastrophe. Buildings and ships in the vacuum of space have no apparent airlocks or failsafe devices, and all docking systems are universal no matter their age or origin. Let’s not even bother to place Brad in suspended animation as he travels to the outskirts of the solar system in a few weeks when a simple nap will do. Crazed carnivorous giant baboons as experimental space station test subjects, sure why not, what could possibly go wrong? Anonymous fearless moon pirates who attack 60’s-era government rovers for absolutely no evident reason, and cannot be successfully defended against even when said assaults are totally anticipated, go for it. And how about designing a manned exploratory mission in which the research vessel happens to contain a cosmic ray gadget that can somehow be programmed to obliterate the entire universe by a heroically unstable rogue commander (coincidentally, Brad Pitt’s erstwhile absentee daddy Tommy Lee Jones who grows a beard during a 29 year span but otherwise fails to age). Sets, nope. Imagine the human colonizers of Mars having the foresight to create an outlandishly textured giant room for the seemingly sole purpose of having Brad Pitt speak plaintively into a microphone while they monitor him from behind an incongruously low-tech metal grate. Character development, nope. Most of the participants barely attain two-dimensional status. The talents of actors such as Donald Sutherland, Liv Tyler, and Natasha Lyonne are totally squandered in roles too insubstantial to be even considered cameos. This is Brad’s biggest acting debacle since the dismal World War Z, and there’s not much to be said about poor Tommy Lee in this movie other than he must have needed the paycheck. Dialogue, God no! Stilted boring droning Pitt-narrations, and unrealistic sappy prose designed to jerk a tear from every duct (me and my family: frequent eye rolling and occasional incredulous hiccups of laughter). Pace, holy crap! Undoubtedly the worst aspect of this movie is that it is beyond glacially slow. However, unlike other overly long space epics, such as its slightly tedious venerable predecessor Silent Running, Ad Astra is definitely not worth the mind-numbing two hours and three very long minutes voyage. Expand
heloheSep 29, 2019
I am a physicist, but I can enjoy some good sci-fi movie from time to time. I also don't mind some scientific inaccuracies if the movie is enjoyable. But this one is just bad. Literally everything about the movie is bad. Boring plot. BoringI am a physicist, but I can enjoy some good sci-fi movie from time to time. I also don't mind some scientific inaccuracies if the movie is enjoyable. But this one is just bad. Literally everything about the movie is bad. Boring plot. Boring ending. Bad science. Nonsensical message. Bad acting. I don't really understand why this movie even exists.
I have to say the sets and camera work is quite nice though.
TorinHillSep 19, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible writing. The fact that this has an 80 calls these critics' credibility into question. My dude flew through the rings of Neptune, free-solo, using aluminum siding as a shield. I guffawed loudly.
He then collides with an orbiting ship going who-knows-how-fast, and arrests the impact with his... his hands.

An amazing budget squandered on grade school father issue|s.

Our collective intelligence has been insulted.
IgeraidiSep 21, 2019
Gravity in the Moon and Mars equal to Earth. Enter in a rocket during launch from behind the engines. Time of radio comunication instantaneous through out space . everything in this movie is ridiculous.
hellomikeySep 22, 2019
Nothing happenes in this movie. It’s the weakest story. Brad accepts a role where the character’s superpower is they he shows no emotion. This is the opposite of good acting.
JadoaustinSep 20, 2019
This movie was an emotionless 2.5 hour movie without meaning or thrill. It takes you through space watching emotionless charters that you end up feeling no connections to. This movie over all was as life changing and entertaining as staringThis movie was an emotionless 2.5 hour movie without meaning or thrill. It takes you through space watching emotionless charters that you end up feeling no connections to. This movie over all was as life changing and entertaining as staring at wall for 3 hours! Expand
SeussMyTubOct 2, 2019
Brad Pitt as an astronaut who is sent on a mission to contact his father (Tommy Lee Jones as another astronaut) who supposedly went missing almost 30 years ago. It's got big ideas, but it falls totally flat. I didnt like the world buildingBrad Pitt as an astronaut who is sent on a mission to contact his father (Tommy Lee Jones as another astronaut) who supposedly went missing almost 30 years ago. It's got big ideas, but it falls totally flat. I didnt like the world building and the huge plot holes didnt help either. I have no idea why critics would even like this movie. Expand
Cyruss77Oct 5, 2019
honestly are we watching the same film here? no story to speak of an absolute flat line of a movie great actors talents wasted completely i want my 2 hours life back please!!
WX8Sep 20, 2019
BORING, wast of your time to watch. Like others said, should have just filmed a daddy issue movie on earth, of no science fiction value. Love Brad Pitt but forget this one. Terrible...Watch something at home that you like and have seen beforeBORING, wast of your time to watch. Like others said, should have just filmed a daddy issue movie on earth, of no science fiction value. Love Brad Pitt but forget this one. Terrible...Watch something at home that you like and have seen before and save the time and money. I wouldn't recommend it for free on cable to anyone. Expand
FloridaMommaSep 20, 2019
Plain boring. Waste of 2 hours! Huge waste this is what they chose to put on Dolby screen.
jackronnerSep 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoiler Alert: if don't want to spoil your evening, avoid "Ad Astra" movie. Besides being slow, wooden in writing and acting and its plot making no sense, not since T-Rump has science been so utterly ignored. E.g., Within minutes of sending it, Pitt asks if they've received a response to his radio message to Neptune; it would take 8 hours at light speed before the msg was answered. And, 89 days to go 2.5 billion miles? A million miles an hour on average? The acceleration values would have splattered them over the bulkheads. They keep suddenly falling in space when there is no inciting force or gravity to account for it, etc. (same problem in the inaptly named "Gravity" with George Clooney). I'll bet the MIT message boards are exploding in laughter. Can't they ask someone with a smidge of knowledge before they produce this dreck? Did I mention it was boring? Astonished at the gushing professional reviews once again, especially since the writing was as subtle as a two-by-four to the head. Expand
energystormSep 22, 2019
Rambo está mucho mejor que está peli ,prueba que los críticos solo complacen a quien pague con la cartera
fumarioSep 20, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only bad is falling short. The argument could have been great, but it has been left in an empty, slow, boring, without beginning or end. The primates scene made no sense in the middle of the plot, except to animate something boring. the only thing worth mentioning is the interpretation of bradd pit. Expand
YogurtSep 21, 2019
I fell asleep twice. Absolutely boring and uninteresting plot. Few events in the film.
The result: wasted time.
AlterIISep 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing even close to interstellar and Martian. This film should be prescribed to people with acute bouts of insomnia. Heroes - dummies, involvement in action - 0. Experiences for the heroes - 0, because you do not know them. Musical accompaniment (everyone remembered interstellar) - I'm not sure what the music was at all. Disclosure of characters - there is no such thing. Bottom line: "sterile." Grab a pillow. I didn’t think that you could make a film so badly with such actors. Expand
DirtyshoesSep 21, 2019
This movie is painfully slow. The characters are boring. Scenes meander and go no where. There are sequences that contribute nothing to the characters. The movie crutches on the pretense of being an artwork or philosophical piece. Oh it's aThis movie is painfully slow. The characters are boring. Scenes meander and go no where. There are sequences that contribute nothing to the characters. The movie crutches on the pretense of being an artwork or philosophical piece. Oh it's a piece alright. What did I learn at the end of the movie? I should have walked out and asked Brad Pitt personally to reimburse me.such a waste. So many special effects and nothing to say. I hated this movie so much I created an account to warn others. Expand
InstantkrmaSep 24, 2019
This movie is boring and dumb on so many levels. Apparently the guy who directed this has no idea what makes movies like 2001 soo great. He basically cut and pasted themes from movies like Interstellar and 2001 with little meaning and skill.This movie is boring and dumb on so many levels. Apparently the guy who directed this has no idea what makes movies like 2001 soo great. He basically cut and pasted themes from movies like Interstellar and 2001 with little meaning and skill. So this is my take away from this movie! 1. Space is lonely, cold, devoid of human interactions so pretty much don't leave earth. WTF 2. Reality in space is whatever the director needs it to be. 3. NASA needs a two hour commercial for some reason. 4. Men in future have soo much toxic masculinity that they are bad,future man bad! 5. That Brad Pitt can have a stupid freaking look on face for two hours. Two hours of my life I will never get back!!! Don't see unless you are a sadist! Expand
jimlockSep 26, 2019
The movie is terrible. Its one of the worst sci fi worlds put on screen. The setting is anything but realistic. 70s like rockets and old school moon rovers and suits simply to remind us of 1969 while humanity has dug immense tunnels bellow Mars...
NakorenSep 28, 2019
I didn't actually know what film I am going to watch and after film I understood that I lost my money. I would say seriously nearly 6 people in cinema laughed, I also wanted to cry.
Film don't has bad picture. But it has very stupid plot. I
Film don't has bad picture. But it has very stupid plot. I really don't know who think that it is good idea to sneak. Into the rocket in 5 minutes before launch and then kill all people inside ple inside
namelessOct 3, 2019
Save your money, it works better when you have the opportunity to fast forward. The users are correct, ignore the professionals. Brad Pitt holds this movie together but it is hard to say this is a movie, it is really a novel brought to theSave your money, it works better when you have the opportunity to fast forward. The users are correct, ignore the professionals. Brad Pitt holds this movie together but it is hard to say this is a movie, it is really a novel brought to the screen. Very little action. Mostly Brad Pitt narrating his thoughts as he moves from point A to point B to point C... Our thoughts are the strength of a novel but not a movie. I think the only reason this got released to the theaters inside of direct to DVD is Brad Pitt. Expand
PrleOct 4, 2019
Aside from casting one of the biggest names in Hollywood this movie is awful. No plot nor suspense, failed to to show the structure and good script writing. Pitt seems to have lost interest in making good-quality performances or movies forAside from casting one of the biggest names in Hollywood this movie is awful. No plot nor suspense, failed to to show the structure and good script writing. Pitt seems to have lost interest in making good-quality performances or movies for that matter. Visual effects are below average as well. Just terrible. Expand
cpnscarletOct 4, 2019
It is a stupid, pretentious movie with a story that tries to be too smart by half. The final reveal is an interesting concept, but it is so wrapped up and almost totally buried in a "Daddy doesn't love me anymore" story, that you just won'tIt is a stupid, pretentious movie with a story that tries to be too smart by half. The final reveal is an interesting concept, but it is so wrapped up and almost totally buried in a "Daddy doesn't love me anymore" story, that you just won't care. The space tech is just a tiny bit interesting toward the start of the movie, but that charm is rapidly lost in interior insipid monologues. Expand
bryanjSep 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very boring film, with a stupid ending. why would you park your spaceship on the wrong side of Neptune's rings? how can you then jump from one spaceship to another passing through the rings with a piece of metal in front of you then ride a nuclear blast home? Expand
Popcorn55Sep 23, 2019
Instead of soaring through the cosmos, it was SNORING through the cosmos! How do you say "the great yawning" in Latin? OMG that should have been the title. It's like they took the slowest, most boring, and talky parts of "2001", "FirstInstead of soaring through the cosmos, it was SNORING through the cosmos! How do you say "the great yawning" in Latin? OMG that should have been the title. It's like they took the slowest, most boring, and talky parts of "2001", "First Man", "Interstellar", "The Martian", and "Gravity", and spliced them together with slow, sad kind of background music: result, the ultimate space snoozer ever made! Even the rocket launches that should at least have some awe and thunder... are often silent with tinkly sad keyboard music. Whaaat?? And the constant self-analytical voice-overs explaining his feelings?? omiGAWD people -- this is sposed to be a sci-fi ADVENTURE DRAMA and instead it's like... monks marching sadly to their doom. That's basically the feeling of it. Rent this one at Redbox, do NOT spend $20 to see it!! Expand
drjumpSep 22, 2019
Brad Pitt does a fine job acting and Tommy Lee Jones is - well - TLJ. The special effects are good as well. That's all the positives that I can offer. First, the science is awful all the way around. Also, the story is full of plot holes,Brad Pitt does a fine job acting and Tommy Lee Jones is - well - TLJ. The special effects are good as well. That's all the positives that I can offer. First, the science is awful all the way around. Also, the story is full of plot holes, filled with the usual ploy of moving the story along by having supposedly smart people doing really stupid things, and some parts of the story that simply don't seem to have any rhyme or reason for being there. I don't want to give any spoiler regarding the last point, but I was waiting for one incident that occurs during the story to be linked somehow to the conclusion (and it could have been with a little screen writing) - but that never happened. Why this movie is generally well-rated is beyond me - even if you don't know a thing about basic physics, interplanetary distances, psychology, and the like. Expand
KenGiveMeABreakSep 23, 2019
What a waste of two hours. Time constantly “filled” with the barrage of Mr. Pitt’s character being required to submit to a biological and mental health evaluation for almost every “door” that Mr. Pitt travels through. As for cinematography.What a waste of two hours. Time constantly “filled” with the barrage of Mr. Pitt’s character being required to submit to a biological and mental health evaluation for almost every “door” that Mr. Pitt travels through. As for cinematography. Give me a break. The scenes of our solar system are free on thousands of internet sites and various television broadcast channels. Simply a Three-Name draw for most adults over 50 and a Single-Name draw for those less than 30. Save your money. PS: the “space-buggy” scene on the New Mexico stage Moon’s surface was hilarious. Expand
DumplebugSep 24, 2019
I don't want to make a in depth review as not to waste more of my time being involved with this movie. Firstly, I am a sci-fi enthusiast. I saw the original Star Wars in the theater in 1977 over 30 times as a kid. Critics are different thanI don't want to make a in depth review as not to waste more of my time being involved with this movie. Firstly, I am a sci-fi enthusiast. I saw the original Star Wars in the theater in 1977 over 30 times as a kid. Critics are different than moviegoers. We are interested in being entertained. This movie was horrible. Snail paced and boring from the first scene to the last. Don't waste your time. Don't listen to critics. Just don't go. Expand
Seadog2019Sep 24, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bad Astra; worst sci-fi movie of all time?

Basically this film steals from multiple movies to create the most terribly disjointed and inane plot that I've ever had the misfortune to see. From Last Man it steals it's depiction of Neal Armstrong and renames that character Roy McBride. From 2001 it steals the apes... (yes, there are apes in the film...) and the lunar transit scenes and from Guardians of the Galaxy it steals space pirates... (yeah, space pirates!) from Gravity it steals the space ships, space suits and tether lines. From Alien it steals the distress call... (see apes above). From Interstellar it steals the music and from Stars Wars it steals the son must kill father to destroy the deadly space station plot line. From the Red Green show, it steals the duct tape...(yes, really!) From Soylent Green it steals Saul's final moments (AKA "calming rooms") and from Blade Runner 2049 it steals the Baseline Psych Test... From 2010 it steals the shock-wave and from Independence Day it steals the bomb... Donald Sutherland simply reprises his role from JFK while Liv Tyler's scenes were just ripped off from LOTR. This movie is an insult to the intelligence of the audience and reveals just how much contempt Gray and/or the producers have for their audience. Basically this movie is a Voight-Kampff Test that ferrets out Replicant critics when they write glowing reviews for terrible movies. I gave the film a 0 out of 10 which I'm happy to do because on most review sites I can't give it a zero. If you watch it, treat it as a comedy and you'll have great fun. My wife and I compared notes after the movie and both realized that we were afraid during the movie that we somehow missed something that caused the critics to give it good reviews... then we laughed so hard that it was hard to stop because it really was terrible and it was the critics who were afraid to say so.
ShibaboySep 21, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ad Astra is a new low for post-truth anti-science propaganda which bear hugs a dystopian fascist future. Avoid this movie! Expand
cfergojrSep 21, 2019
This movie is terrible, don't waste your time and money. Interstellar is way better!
RmelsonjrSep 22, 2019
As beautiful and well acted as it was STUPID. Rewatch Interstellar if you are looking for a space odyssey.
Gabby1Sep 24, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this movie very unconvincing. The story was way too small for all of the craft that went into it. Oh dear, a man is conflicted following in his absent father's footsteps and unable to express himself emotionally, has an epiphany and comes home to the still-available woman he treated heartlessly. All of this hoo-ha for something that could have been treated by a good therapist. Wasted talent. Expand
Amano81Oct 4, 2019
Most boring movie ever, I want my time and money back. The movie industry completely run out of imagination and creativity it’s almost impossible to watch a good movie nowadays. Also the ratings and critics in sites like this one failMost boring movie ever, I want my time and money back. The movie industry completely run out of imagination and creativity it’s almost impossible to watch a good movie nowadays. Also the ratings and critics in sites like this one fail completely to distinguish what is worth watching.. all seem fake and sponsor by lobbies - somehow this movie is highly rated here (by some virtual reviewers) yet every real person I talk to has the same opinion as me that this was the most boring movie they have ever watched! Expand
Ope1Sep 21, 2019
What a piece of garbage. Do not waste 2+ hours of your life on this borrrrrring trash.
Just_DoSep 22, 2019
Borefest. The most boring **** ever. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NerdsinriSep 27, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie starts... Amazing.... By the end I was angry that I wasted my time watching this. With a huge budget, great cast I had high hopes. Could this be another Martian type movie? Nope. Chew on some broken glass instead of seeing this movie. It will be more productive Expand
GarciaSmithSep 21, 2019
MUUUUUY MUUUUY MALA , nada que ver con otras películas del espacio. Está habla de soledad y en un modo super aburrido exageradamente aburrido ni triste ni doloroso solo aburrido , QUE DESPERDICIÓ DE TALENTO , me gustan mucho las películas deMUUUUUY MUUUUY MALA , nada que ver con otras películas del espacio. Está habla de soledad y en un modo super aburrido exageradamente aburrido ni triste ni doloroso solo aburrido , QUE DESPERDICIÓ DE TALENTO , me gustan mucho las películas de ciencia ficción , está honestamente es la peor que e visto en 10 años, obio tiene algunas Tomás buenas, pero sin más es una perdida de tiempo , RESUMEN DE LA PELICULA: viajó al espacio busco a mi papá lo encuentro y me vengo , así LITERAL UNA PUTA MIERDA! No sucede casi nada interesante en un viaje tan laaaargo. Expand
RgboomerSep 22, 2019
character motivation is not clear, takes it self too seriously without providing a clear moral message, and technology does not make sense based on current theories on space travel.
Captain-JimSep 24, 2019
This movie moves so slowly. Long periods of boredom followed by more boredom. No exciting moments! Nothing to really put you on the edge of your seat! Some 'big name' actors in this film but certainly not challenged by the character partsThis movie moves so slowly. Long periods of boredom followed by more boredom. No exciting moments! Nothing to really put you on the edge of your seat! Some 'big name' actors in this film but certainly not challenged by the character parts they portrayed. If you need a couple hours of sleep, this movie will help you dose off. Expand
ShepppySep 24, 2019
Great effects but how can space travel be so boring another soul searching in space that costs me 2hrs of my life. First time of seen so many people walk out of a movie before.
Faszfej70Sep 21, 2019
As boring as that other two were some time ago.The Gravity and the Interstaller.
honkytomkSep 21, 2019
Why does the main character go to Mars to send a message, presumably they've not heard of "recording"? Then he uses a thin piece of metal to protect himself while flying through Neptune's rings? This films needs to decide whether it's decentWhy does the main character go to Mars to send a message, presumably they've not heard of "recording"? Then he uses a thin piece of metal to protect himself while flying through Neptune's rings? This films needs to decide whether it's decent science fiction or nonsense. Expand
Dirk_McDirtSep 23, 2019
The movie was very slow and boring. The plot was very weak. The action sequences seemed like they were tacked on - probably because the film studio execs told the director that the movie was too boring and needed some action scenes. A filmThe movie was very slow and boring. The plot was very weak. The action sequences seemed like they were tacked on - probably because the film studio execs told the director that the movie was too boring and needed some action scenes. A film student could've written a less disappointing story. Wait until it comes out on TV. That way you can change the channel after 15 minutes when you discover how dull it is. Expand
MetaTimmehSep 25, 2019
This movie is an incredibly slow paced, mediocre at best sci-fi Snore fest.The total quiet scenes were so drab, that the pop corn chewing from people two rows ahead and two rows behind offered some kind solace in a time of solitude as I satThis movie is an incredibly slow paced, mediocre at best sci-fi Snore fest.The total quiet scenes were so drab, that the pop corn chewing from people two rows ahead and two rows behind offered some kind solace in a time of solitude as I sat there wondering where this story was headed. the story seemed set to a infinite backdrop of intergalactic vacuum of hope and despair coupled with a father son breach of love. an incredibly long journey only to let his(Brad Pit) father die alone in space just minutes before detonating a nuclear devise catapulting his craft back home. the most exciting part of the movie is when he woke up with a beard. this was the sign that the movie was coming to an end. the absolute best comment I heard as an elderly gentleman stood up to leave the theatre was '' I feel like I was on a long journey to Jupiter'' Gigli staring Ben Afleck and Jennifer Lopez (Total Bomb) had a better story than this. I rate this movie 5 on 5 Kakamojis and bag of tears! Expand
DimassSep 25, 2019
**** waste of money. All the movie expecting an explanation, something giving sense to all happened before... but nothing there. I like slow movies but not empty ones.
thebagginsSep 27, 2019
You wont be challenged by this movie, there's no science fiction here, but go and see it if you like Brad Pitt, dramas and a story of a guy with latent daddy issues. So mind-numbing. 1 point for out of focus space scenes.
KlebartSep 27, 2019
Poor science. No special effects. Tries to be something deep and meaningful but fails. Boring. I went in expecting little and I was still disappointed. Left the movie before the end. Too boring.
BondanhoOct 2, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don’t understand why I have gone to this film because it doesn’t show anything new in the industry if it only contradicts to the all physics laws and uses Brad Pitt’s name to PR but in fact it is just second-rate film with no humor, breathtaking actor’s play and logic. 1 point only for the special effects and beautiful landscapes. Expand
chi7891Sep 28, 2019
It’s a bad movie that had the potential to be decent but had a horrible editor. The editing was just so bad... the movie was an hour too long.
caioniloSep 29, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. lfcvvcfhdhdhdhdbdbxbxbdbdbdbdbddbhdhdhxchchcggcvyvyvyvtvtvttvtvtvtvtvtvtvtv Expand
cm5milroySep 23, 2019
This movie is beautiful, no doubt about it. But there is no great payoff, nothing to keep you in your seat for the whole movie.Everything that has the potential to elicit any kind of emotion is never explained or built up well. I was moreThis movie is beautiful, no doubt about it. But there is no great payoff, nothing to keep you in your seat for the whole movie.Everything that has the potential to elicit any kind of emotion is never explained or built up well. I was more entertained by the Rams v Patriots Super Bowl Expand
p2skaSep 23, 2019
Got the ticket for free and thought this could be interesting as Pitt is always fine and i really like sci-fi.. But alas, this is far from Sunshine, not even Solaris (2012) in terms of storytelling. Ok, CGI and acting are fine, but that's itGot the ticket for free and thought this could be interesting as Pitt is always fine and i really like sci-fi.. But alas, this is far from Sunshine, not even Solaris (2012) in terms of storytelling. Ok, CGI and acting are fine, but that's it - plot is ridiculous and boring and without any surprises or plot twists, only long monotonous monologues by mr. Pitt accompanied by melancholic score, there is no logic behind physics displayed, not even trying - especially everything that happens after arriving on Mars - it's terrible to behold :)

User score seems kinda generous (5.8 atm), don't know what crictics see in it (8.0).
Catr3Sep 27, 2019
Mira esta peli es una mierda lenta floja y literal mente estoy escribiendo esto en el momento mas "Critico" de la peli
-1/10
T4NKESep 28, 2019
Hacía tiempo que no veía nada tan aburrido. Te pasas todo el tiempo esperando que pase algo, hasta que al final... sigue sin pasar nada.
RasgonSep 26, 2019
Aburrida. Absurda. Guion lleno de trampas y deus ex machina. Terrence Malick de Hacendado. Guion que no hay por dónde cogerlo. Trama absurda. Voz en off con carga filosófica nivel Mr Wonderful. Un despropósito.
SomniacSep 25, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Esta película es un insulto a la inteligencia. Está mal la mires por donde la mires. Para empezar el personaje de Brad Pitt es la cosa más plana que te puedas echar a la cara. Luego tenemos la trama, que es sosa y poco emocionante. Después nos encontramos también con unos personajes secundarios que no aportan NADA a la película; están simplemente para hacer bulto. Se salva únicamente por los efectos especiales, que sin ser nada del otro mundo sí que sorprenden en un par de escenas.

PD: Que alguien me explique cómo cojones hace el personaje de Brad Pitt para atravesar un anillo de asteroides con una plancha de metal y luego aprovechar una explosión nuclear para impulsar su nave y volver a la tierra. Todo eso sin un rasguño.
BoozehoundOct 2, 2019
Boring, nonsensical drama. Like typical films of our time, all of the worthwhile scenes are in the trailer. Do not recommend, unless you are sleep deprived.
Mauro_LanariOct 3, 2019
(Mauro Lanari)
(Mauro Lanari)
Very little to add to what has already been said and written. The aporia of a successful psychoanalytic session and "Heart of Loneliness", Conrad or Coppola from the odyssey in the inner space to that in the deep space, between Antonioni, Tarkovskij and Malick. The conclusion changes: instead of "The horror! The horror!", "The boredom! The boredom!". Perhaps metaphysically more appropriate, but in this case totally involuntary. Glad the box-office flop.
TrunkisOct 8, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saw the reviews for this and was really excited for it. But this was dreadful. The story just doesn't make sense. Obviously radio waves just don't exist in this universe! If they did this story wouldn't have been necessary. A guy needs travel all the way to mars to send a voice message to Neptune?? It couldn't have been sent to Mars? Brad Pitt needed to be in a sound proof room to record a message?? He's able to board a rocket as it launches? Obviously G forces don't exist either or Newton's laws of motion for that matter. When is this set?? They had better Luna buggy's in 1970's! A wave capable of power surges billions of miles through space but doesn't effect the source in any way! Ridiculous character reactions ruin the acting too! The most important mission in human history and they pack pitt off on a commercial flight for secrecy?? With a geriatric?? My god. I was actually laughing every few minutes. If this was fantasy sci-fi fine, but this seemed to want to be "realistic". Baah. Space 1999 was more realistic than this. By the end you have to ask what was the point and how are you not up for 3 counts of manslaughter? It gets 1 star for the visuals only. Expand
marconaOct 9, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another bloated, over-produced let down in an era of bloated, over produced letdowns. This movie wants to be everything, but winds up being a muddled pile of nothing.

Brad Pitt is a fine actor and he does his best, but the story is ungodly awful. I realize this is sci-fi and we are suspending belief, but they have asked an awful lot of us here.

The main premise is that a guy who has been traveling space for almost 30 years (unheard from for 16 years, supposedly dead) is parked outside Neptune and is firing life-ending energy blasts at Earth. This guy is Brad Pitt's dad and they recruit him to get kill/retrieve/stop him. Okay, cute premise.

Brad then needs to go to the moon (flew commercial, terrible scene), then Mars (3 days trip, goofy side story), then to Neptune. The trip to Neptune takes 63 days, if I recall. So, a madman is out there on Neptune, we can go get him in 2 months, and they wait 16 years? Granted, the energy surges just started, but still... wouldn't you want to follow up?

Sorry for being glib, but the movie itself is glib. It is filled with empty emotion, meaningless action sequences, and long stretches of nothing. It has no identity. It desperately wants to be Apocalypse Now, but it falls woefully short. Wait for the streaming release.
kirkenderOct 10, 2019
Science Fiction is meant to be inquisitive, thoughtful, expansive and imaginative. Ad Astra is cynical, conservative, boring, and shallow. There is a sense that its meant to be 'realistic' but its lazy and mean. Toxic masculinity: A SpaceScience Fiction is meant to be inquisitive, thoughtful, expansive and imaginative. Ad Astra is cynical, conservative, boring, and shallow. There is a sense that its meant to be 'realistic' but its lazy and mean. Toxic masculinity: A Space Opera. Plot holes are plentiful. There are meandering, meaningless voice overs that do nothing to further the plot or 'emotional' journey. Also; there are 2 black people in the movie and they are brutally killed on screen. All the white people get dignified or off screen deaths. WTF. Expand
TreasuresamericOct 11, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People have compared this to Interstellar and Contact. There is no comparison, as those two movies were immeasurably better.

This movie was advertised to have a “realistic” depiction of space travel. Nope. There was nothing realistic (whatsoever).

In essence, the entire movie can be summed up as: Brad Pitt, a quirky guy, misses dad. Brad Pitt undergoes unrealistic, boring experiences. Brad Pitt finds his dad. Brad Pitt loses his dad. Brad Pitt comes home. Roll end credits.

It’s a boring movie with nothing profound or entertaining about it. No comedy, no action, no compelling imagery, no real story, and nothing reality based about space travel. The other actors the trailer makes seem important are virtually non-existent in the film.

Tommy Lee Jones gets about 6 minutes... 4 of which are repeated videos from decades ago playing on his futuristic iPad. Liv Tyler hets about 2 minutes, all as flashbacks from the past. Donald Sutherland gets 5 minutes, but has a heart attack in the beginning of the movie and doesn’t die... so..(?)

Now, the solitary reason it gets even one star from me (instead of zero) is that, given the character that poor Brad Pitt was given to play, he played it well. The character is ridiculous, but is played well.

Spaceballs and Howard the Duck were better films.
GuilhermeCursiOct 20, 2019
Nem mesmo o talento de Brad Pitt pode salvar Ad Astra filme cansativo, com um direção ruim e filme só se destaca em seus efeitos visuais