Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 22, 1979
Universal acclaim based on 1018 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
cbaloghOct 4, 2010
This film is meticulously constructed, and all of its components fit together almopst perfectly. Creepily paced, wonderfully acted, and menaced throughout, Alien is one of the best films ever made.
Neo010390Apr 19, 2011
"In space no one can hear you scream". A most memorable tagline from one of the most terrifying, science fiction horror films I have seen in my life. After the success of Star Trek and Star Wars, the filmmakers have produced a terrifying"In space no one can hear you scream". A most memorable tagline from one of the most terrifying, science fiction horror films I have seen in my life. After the success of Star Trek and Star Wars, the filmmakers have produced a terrifying Sci-fi horror and boy have they done a great job. The film focuses on seven space crew members, who are on a return ship to Earth. The crew, awakened by the ships computer, receives a transmission from an unknown asteroid. By orders from their employers, the crew search on the asteroid and find an alien spacecraft. Kane (one of the crew members) searches inside a chamber which encountered of numerous eggs, and one of them opens up and releases a creature, famously known as a "Facehugger" that attacks him on the face. The crew decide to take Kane back to their spaceship and try to remove the Facehugger, but are unable to as it is strapped tightly around is neck, and fear any sudden move attempt could cause the creature to strangle Kane and kill him. Eventually though he lets go of Kane and dies of unknown cause. I will not spoil what happens from this point, but what I will warn all newcomers who haven't seen the movie yet to brace themselves. What I really liked about this movie was that, although the special effects for its day were great, it was more of the suspense than anything. I've got to admit, suspense was a category that I never really got into because they would always drag it on for too long and wanted to know the climax as soon as possible. But when I watched this, I got into it so much that I wasn't bothered about the timing of how long it took to actually unveil the mystery or shadow hidden in the dark. The performance of cast also helped to make this film come alive, as I reckon it wouldn't have got the same response from critics and audiences had they not delivered a great performance. Nowadays I understand and appreciate these kinds of films more. I realised that that you don't always necessarily need to start and finish and movie with a bang by showing off none stop action - gun shooting, long lasting brawls and chase scenes that usually occur during the final 30 minutes of a film. Sometimes just a quiet and frightening suspense like this is a good enough. I give credit to Dan O'Bannon who wrote this incredible story, and director Ridley Scott for using his skills to make sure that the cast, (particularly Sigourney Weaver's character Ripley) delivered a brilliant performance. Alien is one of the films that have become a cult classic, and still remain popular today Expand
ZegilgameshMay 10, 2013
Alien is near-perfectly paced and incredibly tense horror flick that slowly progresses from a space trip gone awry into a waking, breathing, nightmare.
ReubenIsAGodSep 12, 2015
Basically the greatest science fiction horror movie of all time. Its a classic, and one of the greatest films of all time. I recommend everybody check out this film.
RomanS.Sep 1, 2005
All-time fave (if not the second part) and I never got tired watching it over and over again (after having bought an Alien Quadrilogy box set).
2 of 2 users found this helpful
KadeemluvmusicJun 14, 2012
I think Ridley Scott should be called "The Master of Sci-fi." The thing I liked the most about "Alien" was Sigourney Weaver's character "Ripley." She's an out-of-this-world knockout that can even shoot massive creatures of Alien lifeforms toI think Ridley Scott should be called "The Master of Sci-fi." The thing I liked the most about "Alien" was Sigourney Weaver's character "Ripley." She's an out-of-this-world knockout that can even shoot massive creatures of Alien lifeforms to becoming one of the most popular characters today and back in the day. I have watched it sometimes, but I haven't get the quadrilogy on Blu-Ray. The Alien franchise was one of the best (except Alien 3, which was a far less Cameron-styled sequel) and although Prometheus is certainly not a prequel or a reboot to the Alien universe, it just goes to show the entire world what kind of strange and eerie creatures have ever been landed. But "Alien" deserves a big honor, one of the best science fiction movies of all time. Expand
oliver1hNov 13, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ridley Scott only made two great movies. This is one of those! The artistic direction, the interior designs, the design of the alien creature, the alien planet and the Nostromo are all looking spectacular!
The mood is just perfect! Sigourney Weaver created a believable "dominant" female character. Ian Holme as the scary, calculating and sexually frustrated android is also excellent in his role! The music is unsettling, the camera work is beautiful! One of the rare gems of science fiction - horror genre!
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Yeah, not really sure this movie needs an introduction, but here it comes anyway. "Alien" is a 1976 Ridley Scott directed Sci-Fi Horror flick starring Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, a warrant officer on a mining ship that begins to encounterYeah, not really sure this movie needs an introduction, but here it comes anyway. "Alien" is a 1976 Ridley Scott directed Sci-Fi Horror flick starring Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, a warrant officer on a mining ship that begins to encounter strange creatures. Now, It's hard for me to say that I haven't seen "Alien" up until this point, but it's true so I'll cop to it. After seeing it, I can safely say that everyone I talked to was right - I missed a lot. "Alien" is a really great film, crafted by one of the greatest revolutionary living directors. Ridley Scott really shows his keen ability to develop unbelievable tension through almost every scene. I had to turn down the volume on my television at some points, because I was almost certain that something was going to pop up and scare the seven shades of poop outta' me. But that's the thing, it didn't always happen when I expected it to. This is something that horror movies today seem to fail to accomplish - in a sense, they give away when the jump scares are going to happen. "Alien" really excels at blurring the line between the moments when you're sure a jump scare'll happen and the moments when they won't. The story, written by the legendary Dan O'Bannon is often cited as the influence for numerous other Sci-Fi Horror films and stories. This story is the fulcrum of the film, and O'Bannon's ability to create unending tension via the narrative is really a noteworthy skill. The cinematography and lighting also really helps in creating intense strain on the audience. At one point in the film, it seems as though cinematographer Derek Vanlint uses strobe lights for lighting. This jarring effect, once again, keeps the audience intensely stressed out. The sounds in the film are really very eerie, as the unnerving creaking sounds of the Nostromo and the shrill shriek of the Alien still resonate in my head. Sigourney Weaver does a great job in one of her very first (and arguably most memorable) roles. H.R. Giger's set and costume design really shines in this film, possibly establishing the Sci-Fi Horror aesthetic as we know it. In the end, I found Ridley Scott's "Alien" to be an awesomely frightening film that effectively exudes the overwhelming amount of skill that was placed into it. Expand
SwatiDec 5, 2013
Ridley Scott is a master of world-building, no matter how small it is. Here he took us to a windy planet but mainly the setting was the spaceship Nostroma. A crew of seven is forced to investigate a signal from an unknown vessel. So a seriesRidley Scott is a master of world-building, no matter how small it is. Here he took us to a windy planet but mainly the setting was the spaceship Nostroma. A crew of seven is forced to investigate a signal from an unknown vessel. So a series of gruesome events unfold. Scott takes half an hour to introduce us to the characters and after that it is a ride of pure thrilling fright.

All the characters are sufficiently drawn and explored, but none more than the action-girl Ripley, the like of whom I have not seen elsewhere. She is a force of nature. The movie works because the characters that populate the environment are engaging and their fear feels real. What fascinated me was the fact that the major decisions taken by the crew are what probably I would have agreed to myself. What I mean is the plot did not come into being because of someone's idiocy, as it tends to in lesser films. Their main concern was survival and all other things were secondary.

The art direction and visual effects were jaw-dropping. Given that this movie was made in 1979, that's a huge achievement. On the contrary, I feel like modern space films tend to look cartoonish. The set design was very convincing and the feeling I got was that this actually happened somewhere in the universe but was only shot in the past. Weird but true. The only part where I felt the movie was really old was when the Mother computer comes to life, otherwise the interior of the ship was fascinating and I certainly believed Ridley Scott's vision of a future mega spaceship. The director's cut looked and sounded better than ever.

The creature alien is a parasitic organism that is at once frightening and intriguing, and has more than one trick up its sleeve. Just when you think you've got it figured out, Scott throws something more sinister at you than before. The suspense was palpable, and that is where he does best. The movie builds up from scene to scene, the previous one being out-shined by the new one constantly, until the climax when everything goes wrong at the worst possible moment. Scott proves himself a master of not only how a film should look and feel but also the narrative, which is where most modern science fiction films fail even though their effects get better and better.

There is not much to discuss about the plot without ruining the effect. The source of the alien species is not discovered, which I hoped in vain would be revealed in the sequel. And an explanation about the other alien is perhaps asking for too much. These were answers that I sought from the film before I was zapped from all logic and reason and forced to witness the horror these beings were capable of inflicting. Scott included absolutely everything that was needed to make the film work. I feel like he should have taken reins to make the sequel as well. Maybe we could have learnt something new about the aliens but who knows.

Ridley Scott may disagree, but I feel like this is his best work. It's a true masterpiece deserving of all the praise it receives. It could easily have been caught up in the trappings of the haunted house genre, but Scott skilfully manoeuvres it around to where he felt like a sense of awe and mystery would be evoked along-with the thrills associated with the genre. I have always felt like there is at least one great movie to be made in each genre, which awaits the right director, and Scott was perfect for this.
BradySmithJun 5, 2013
As far as horror movies go, this is as good as they get. With an amazing atmosphere, one of the best creatures ever brought to film, and perhaps Scott's best direction to date, this is without a doubt a classic. The tension builds slowly,As far as horror movies go, this is as good as they get. With an amazing atmosphere, one of the best creatures ever brought to film, and perhaps Scott's best direction to date, this is without a doubt a classic. The tension builds slowly, and it is smartly written, unlike most of today's scary movies, (if you can even call them scary). It's sublimely detailed settings, acting, camerawork, and monster still hold up well to this day, and that's no small feat for a movie made in 1979. Hitting points as high as its genre can possibly allow, it will likely stay an entertaining, and masterful film forever. Expand
marcmyworksJan 11, 2014
The first time I saw this was when I was 12 and I was extremely disappointed in how slow it was compared to the visual smorgasbord of 'Aliens'. As I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate the subtleties and suspense in this horror classic.
Akshay7Jan 3, 2014
Suspenseful storytelling at its Best!

Suspenseful storytelling at its Best!

After watching 'Prometheus' the prequel to 'Alien' first thing to notice was that Prometheus has many plot elements similar to Alien and that may have some slight effect on my experience with Alien. But leaving that thing aside 'Alien' is a fine blend of horror and science-fiction which leaves lasting impression even after so many years of its release. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every bit of it. The slow pacing and build and lack of kick-alien action may make some people not like this but that's the region where Alien scores, the suspenseful buildup to discovering the unknown with the eerie music and silence of being in the space by Jerry Goldsmith is still fresh in my mind even after hours of watching the film and the Horror of the Alien not revealed much leaving it open for imagination delivers unexpectedly. I can imagine what this would have been experience watching this epic movie on big screen or alone at night would have been back in 1979. This 'Alien' is a timeless classic.
talisencrwJan 22, 2014
I had wanted to see it at the theatres, but I was only 9 or 10 at the time, but the posters and TV commercials were so uniquely stylized and scary. Saw it for the first time on VHS, along with Aliens, before Alien3 came out, and loved it, butI had wanted to see it at the theatres, but I was only 9 or 10 at the time, but the posters and TV commercials were so uniquely stylized and scary. Saw it for the first time on VHS, along with Aliens, before Alien3 came out, and loved it, but now being a father of a ten year-old son, we watched it together and it's by far the best of the series. As talented as Sir Ridley Scott is at directing films in general, he really shines when approaching the sci-fi genre. You can just tell it's very special for him. Expand
SkyrimGuy935Feb 26, 2015
In comparison to Alien, no other film in existence can match its suspense. Sigourney Weaver presents a strong and iconic lead as Ellen Ripley, and the practical effects are remarkable. In addition, this movie created what may just be theIn comparison to Alien, no other film in existence can match its suspense. Sigourney Weaver presents a strong and iconic lead as Ellen Ripley, and the practical effects are remarkable. In addition, this movie created what may just be the most iconic movie monster ever. Alien is one of the few films I consider to be perfect.

10/10.
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
"Alien" is truly one of the scariest films of all time. It moves at a very slow pace which works extremely well. The tension is constantly building until you almost can't take it anymore, and there is never a dull moment in this film. Even"Alien" is truly one of the scariest films of all time. It moves at a very slow pace which works extremely well. The tension is constantly building until you almost can't take it anymore, and there is never a dull moment in this film. Even when something not particularly scary is going on, the dialogue is engrossing, and the cinematography is beautiful. Expand
sicranoApr 8, 2016
......................................................................................................................................................................Closer to 10
eva3si0nFeb 22, 2021
Alien is one of the best films not only by Ridley Scott but also by the entire genre of space fiction. It is difficult not to say how much this is a fundamental movie that many subsequent generations will remember, a real masterpiece thatAlien is one of the best films not only by Ridley Scott but also by the entire genre of space fiction. It is difficult not to say how much this is a fundamental movie that many subsequent generations will remember, a real masterpiece that gave rise to one of the most famous franchises. Relevant even after 40 years. After the restart of the franchise in 2012 and even more so the last part, the original is perceived as an unattainable level. And if even Ridley Scott could not restart the franchise, then it remains only to enjoy the classics. Expand
JPKMar 21, 2018
Classic
Alien Was A Classic Back In 79, And Still Is Today With The Memorable Deaths By The Xenomorph And Memorable Characters.
chainofsouls31Jan 17, 2018
Alien is one of, if not, one of the scariest horror films of all time and a must see for fans of sci-fi and horror
BryceHarperFeb 23, 2018
Although I was deeply intrigued by the plots and visual sequences of this film, the most surprising fact is that this was created 40 years earlier from nowadays.
Filmix16Aug 6, 2019
Ridley Scott arrive avec une grande de film de silence-fiction. Alien est un film très différent des autre film d’horreur, ce n’est pas film à en faire le saut. Les créatures son visuellement très bien fait pour l’époque. Ridley Scott àRidley Scott arrive avec une grande de film de silence-fiction. Alien est un film très différent des autre film d’horreur, ce n’est pas film à en faire le saut. Les créatures son visuellement très bien fait pour l’époque. Ridley Scott à trouver une façon original de faire apparaître c’est répugnante créature de l’espace. Expand
DeVr33zNov 1, 2010
Awesome movie. The suspense was great and the acting was very well done. The alien itself was very scary, and the plot had me always guessing about what would happen next. Overall I absolutely loved this movie.
DirigiblePulpJul 27, 2017
What can I possibly contribute to the dialectic at this point? I guess just some stuff for my own amusement. I don't know what makes this film work.

It is of course, exquisitely made - the rhythms and pacing are second to none - you hear endlessly about withholding the big reveal (ala Jaws) but here it works even better that most do because the reveals kind of keep on happening. It starts small with an egg, then its a facehugger, acid blood, chestburster, little alien, and finally the full-on Alien, and even then it's mostly face and head (and mini-head) until the end. There's always something to occupy the fear and it keeps getting upped.

The whole end of this film is unrelenting tension. It's almost seizure inducing watching Ripley run around the ship with the blinking lights and the countdown chiming and the Alien around every corner - hypnotizing and petrifying. The first kill scene with the Alien descending the chains is a perfect blend of sight and sound. Same goes for most of the Alien's kill scenes (only ones that bother me are the tunnels, it's a great scene undone by stupidity - why do they think it's in the same tunnel as him and even if it is just blast the fire! don't run). The wide shot of the Alien turning towards Lambert is the only one that shows its age. Very tank like, no arm movement. Thankfully it's short lived. From what I read Scott didn't like those wides either.

Sigourney Weaver's Ripley is iconic of course, and it helps that she's a woman defeating this rapist (the two women are the last two standing) but it's clear the film isn't making it an agenda. It's just a part of the natural structure of the story. It's nonchalant. And personally, as great as she is in this, she's a pure action and reaction cipher (not that there's anything wrong with that- a whole character is suggested by her behaviors, mannerisms and interactions). But Ripley's stature is truly carved in stone in Aliens.

The set designs and creature designs are incredibly believable and awe-inducing. Ridley liked the space jockey so much he has created a whole new set of films about it - that's one memorable shot. They were, of course, a large jump forward for the time but that wouldn't hold up in posterity if it didn't still work and it does, because the design is still unmatched in terms of bold imagination. Surreal, slimy, sexual, black, chrome, nightmarish, otherworldly yet human - it's really the ultimate creature design for a reason. It's not just cool and terrifying, it suggests themes, nightmares we haven't had yet, the past the future, it even blends in with the blue collar working class rusted out futuristic space shuttle it stalks in.

What makes a withholding film work is that the payoff is worth it. Audiences can't suffer a bad good movie - one that knows what it takes to make something work but doesn't execute - but they're fine with a bad bad movie because at least it's mindless and "delivers". So when a slow burn actually works, it changes the whole entire landscape. When it doesn't, it bombs hard (especially with audiences). Everything else is in-between. This is one of the good good ones, duh.
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Space Freighter stops to check out a distress signal, finds crashed unknown craft, strange things inside, crew member gets attacked, survives, or does he?
Still a brilliant film after all these years. Very intense & a good mixture of
Still a brilliant film after all these years. Very intense & a good mixture of personalities within the crew. Forgot how good Ian Holm is as Ash & still probably Sigourney Weaver's best film.
The effects are fine but the Alien does look like a man in a suit at times.
Harry210May 2, 2011
Alien is one of the first horror movies I've seen and I think it was a good, suspense, science fiction movie which is definitely worth a watch. This movie introduced the grotesque and horrifying creature to cinema and TV screens. I'd thoughtAlien is one of the first horror movies I've seen and I think it was a good, suspense, science fiction movie which is definitely worth a watch. This movie introduced the grotesque and horrifying creature to cinema and TV screens. I'd thought I would never watch an Alien movie knowing that the movie was a sci-fi horror flick. Well, I plucked up the courage to see this movie and I thought it was a satisfying movie and is a good start to the Alien franchise. The movie is primary set on a huge space ship and carrying 7 crew members. This movie does start off slow but it does gradually introduce the main creature eventually. The nightmare begins after a couple of the crew investigate an abandoned alien spaceship on a dark and misty unknown planet. I actually jumped a little bit seeing when one of the crew members suddenly gets attacked by a crab like creature known as a facehugger; breaking through his space suit and latching onto his face. In my own opinion, these little critters with their crab like fingers, slimy alien tail and brownish appearance is possibly more terrifying to look at than the actual matured Alien. It's a good thing that they die as soon as they impregnate the embryo into their victim. The steps that we witness, in creating an alien are quite horrific and this introduces some horror to the movie; seeing the helpless human slip into a coma while an immovable facehugger impregnates them with an Alien embryo and then having the Alien burst out of the rib cage of the host and run away to fully mature, also known as a chestbuster. It's fascinating to watch and the grossest scene in the movie. Ah yes, the famous chestbuster scene: I thought that I wouldn't be able to stomach this scene but I found it to be the highlight of this movie. Seeing the crew member Kurt first enjoying a meal with the rest of the crew, unknown to him and the others, that the alien inside him is about to burst out of him creates an uncertainly atmosphere. The facehugger just leapt onto him, put him into a coma and died. It makes us think that at the moment, everything is alright with Kurt which I like because it does build up a bit of tension. I then knew what was going to happen when Kane was squirming and fidgeting and then the alien famously burst out of his stomach with a squirt of blood. What I find amazing is that the alien is a puppet and it makes you believe that its actually happening; no CGI here. The baby alien casually looks at the rest of the crew as if he's saying "What the hell are you looking at?" Then he just jumps out of Kurt's body and runs out of the room like he has a skateboard under his feet (I thought that was funny). I somehow find it weird that I think that the baby alien is cute. I love the design of the matured alien and we see for the first time, a great horror icon. His long claws, two mouths, skinny build and his huge head make him look like a typical monster and again, no CGI here; just a tall man in a suit which makes the alien more believable looking. The alien is a stealthy creature, much like the Predator creature in the Predator movie which was released after Alien. He can't talk but seems to have enough intelligence to hide from his prey. One by one, the alien takes out the crew, leaving one crew member, Ripley, eventually standing. You don't really see the alien and his unique character design much; he pretty much lurks in the shadows of the ship, quickly moves into our view and kills using his little mouth which gives us some gory moments but not as gory as the chestbuster scene. The crew are scared to death and they are pretty much defenceless; I mean, there only scientists, not colonel marines with huge ass machine guns. The acting was good; it gets the job done in this movie. The movie can be a little boring; sometimes I would be waiting for something to happen but I guess this is a suspense film. I think this movie is a little too long but that's only a very minor criticism. The attempt at getting rid of the alien by blowing up the ship gives us a good intense ending where Ripley shoots off in one of the escape pods and then BAM! The alien is a stowaway on the escape pod. It was a bit predictable but at least it provided a satisfying ending to the movie where Ripley faces off against the alien. As for the sets used, like the space ship and the planet they land on, I thought they were well designed. As the first Alien movie I watched, it was a good, gritty sci-fi movie. This movie didn't really scare me but it was gross seeing those facehuggers! Expand
MartyJDec 13, 2010
Aliens is a cult film and rightly so, great plot awesome character interaction and awesome settings back before good CGI so had to make good models which they did. The aliens themselves are a class type of beast more like a Wasp or Ants withAliens is a cult film and rightly so, great plot awesome character interaction and awesome settings back before good CGI so had to make good models which they did. The aliens themselves are a class type of beast more like a Wasp or Ants with one queen propagating the whole species and then they eradicate anything that could cause a problem to their existence. Also not killing enough of their prey to ensure they can multiply great horror film worth a watch without a doubt Expand
TheQuietGamerJul 18, 2011
Alien succeeds in creating a tense atmosphere, and some cool moments, it's just disappointing that the characters aren't really like-able, I never really cared about any of there fates, and you never really find out who the main character isAlien succeeds in creating a tense atmosphere, and some cool moments, it's just disappointing that the characters aren't really like-able, I never really cared about any of there fates, and you never really find out who the main character is until everyone else dies, and before the actually come in contact with the Alien you have to listen to the characters having boring conversations with each other, but when the Alien finally shows up it gets enjoyable, but just know you have to some incredibly boring moments to get to the cool ones. Expand
GaidukNov 19, 2014
Masterpiece! It should have score - 100. I think Ridley Scott even himself didn't understand what he had created. It's better and better with time, really.
TokyochuchuMay 13, 2012
Ridley Scott's sci-fi horror debut 'Alien' is an enduring, legendary masterpiece. It's one of my favorite films of all time and has been for many, many years. The art direction and attention to detail is exquisite. Alien is a movie that neverRidley Scott's sci-fi horror debut 'Alien' is an enduring, legendary masterpiece. It's one of my favorite films of all time and has been for many, many years. The art direction and attention to detail is exquisite. Alien is a movie that never ages and still feels as fresh as the day it was wrapped (despite eventually turning into a listless franchise). If you haven't seen this movie then you really are missing out on one of cinema's eternal classics. Expand
asthobaskoroJun 26, 2012
Alien blends science fiction and horror, this has re-defined what sci-fi on future. Maybe it's not class A movie, looks like horror B-movie trapped on space than sci-fi. It's modern classic, all sci-fi movie will thanks to it.
kingjamesFeb 28, 2015
This movie is a classic. Being only 20 years old i had never seen this movie originally or the 2003 re-release. I own the 35th anniversary bluray edition. I watched it as soon as i got home and i was blown away. I had seen so many of whatThis movie is a classic. Being only 20 years old i had never seen this movie originally or the 2003 re-release. I own the 35th anniversary bluray edition. I watched it as soon as i got home and i was blown away. I had seen so many of what others from 1979 and onward had try to imitate in suspense and horror. This is one of the horror/suspense classics that started this genre and made it a staple. The atmosphere of it all is unmatched. The retro-futurism is classic. The style of it is almost minimalistic, a "less is more" approach. I just cant praise this movie enough. Expand
rotkuJan 31, 2012
Classic sci-fi movie that changed movie making in its genre. Although a little dated now you still have to admire how well made the movie is. The characters are believable, the set is believable, the storyline is excellent and for most partClassic sci-fi movie that changed movie making in its genre. Although a little dated now you still have to admire how well made the movie is. The characters are believable, the set is believable, the storyline is excellent and for most part the alien is terrifying. The main disappointment is the long shots of the alien which give it a human in a suit look. often copied but rarely bettered,if you have not seen this movie do so now. Expand
Khunter4382Sep 20, 2011
One of the finest films ever made! Alien is horrifically atmospheric! All performances are strong. Weaver and Holm are particularly spectacular! This film has been the guiding light for so many other projects and it is one of Ridley Scott'sOne of the finest films ever made! Alien is horrifically atmospheric! All performances are strong. Weaver and Holm are particularly spectacular! This film has been the guiding light for so many other projects and it is one of Ridley Scott's best. It never gets old. The effects are still very convincing and this alien is easily one of the most horrifying creatures of sci-fi perfection. An ultimate sci-fi horror classic! Expand
HyliadOct 7, 2011
Amazing ambiance, visual and sound effects. A amazing film, who completely deserves its legend and still scary 31 years later. Sigourney Weaver is simply awesome.
TyranianApr 7, 2019
Very well-made horror/thriller with good pacing and plotting. Some effects have dated badly but otherwise holds up well.
dharmaJun 8, 2012
Is ALIEN Ridley Scott's crowning achievement? Yes it is. It's shadow eclipse his other efforts, including his latest, PROMETHEUS. It's not ALIEN, the fanboys crowd says. Yeah..because ALIEN is one of the best film of all time. A game changerIs ALIEN Ridley Scott's crowning achievement? Yes it is. It's shadow eclipse his other efforts, including his latest, PROMETHEUS. It's not ALIEN, the fanboys crowd says. Yeah..because ALIEN is one of the best film of all time. A game changer that resulted in countless imitations and influences in many media..be it video games, films and books. It's perfect because it's simple and effective, with one of the best monster design of all time. See this side by side with ALIENS... Expand
dryyoshi7Sep 3, 2012
This has to be the best sci-fi/Horror film of all time. Ridley Scotts 'Alien' really sets up a genuine mood to the film that makes you wanna keep watching. It keeps you interested throughout and entertains me every second.
imthenoobMay 11, 2020
There is no understating the importance that Aliens had on not just horror and sci-fi but cinema all together. It's a perfectly created world that captures you and keeps hold until the credits roll.
potatoes351Jan 16, 2013
Alien is sci-fi horror in its prime. A small group of scientists on a mining ship, the Nostromo, pick up a distress beacon on a nearby planet. After stopping to investigate the crew are hunted down one by one by the aggressive and deadlyAlien is sci-fi horror in its prime. A small group of scientists on a mining ship, the Nostromo, pick up a distress beacon on a nearby planet. After stopping to investigate the crew are hunted down one by one by the aggressive and deadly creature they find on the planet. The film is very slow to start off with and even when it gets going its still pretty slow but a great and enjoyable film. Lack of character development and story is a little irritating though. Expand
charliew1820Jun 5, 2012
Easily one of sci-fi's greatest moments, the films structure is pure perfection, constantly keeping the tension, its hard to desribe how unbelievable the film is. The beginning section builds up a sense of tension, the aight of an abandonedEasily one of sci-fi's greatest moments, the films structure is pure perfection, constantly keeping the tension, its hard to desribe how unbelievable the film is. The beginning section builds up a sense of tension, the aight of an abandoned ship, unsure of a distress or warning signal, and the most provocative is the eerie moment as the ships crew uncover the remains of a giant body. You suddenly realize that this film is throwing you in at the deep end, with this shot making you realize something dark is yet to come and leaves the question of what was here before them, and what caused this distress signal, are they all gone? Obviously this is all explained in Prometheus, but on initial viewing you feel a sense of dread and this worls out as one of the films creepiest moments.
After the infamous face hugger scene we realize that something bad is on its way, and even in the slow, steady moments of trying to find what this creature is and what are its motives there still is thrills there still remains tension, excitement and some intruiging speeches. But then comes one of cinemas most famous moments, the chest burster. The scene is so shocking that your are literally pulled from your seat while watching, this Leads again into the middle of the film, the team pulling together to find the alien. This works out very well, with us realizing the simplistic formaula of the films is excellent. As the team begin to search for answers and ehat they belive at the moment is a small alien, builds up to the climax of the unveiling of the giant alien that will gie people nightmares for years to come. The rest of film, in fairness, is simple, but as mentioned this make it even better, each member bands together for the search and we feel we are there with them, hoping and realizing the fear of being completely alone, in space. As more people are hunted down there are ingenoius waysof them going, there is no rung out violent deaths all are off screen and quickly over, but helps, as more of the crew describe the danger of the alien, we wonder what it did to them crew members next, again building more fear.
Finally the film comes to its head with sole survivor Ripley realizing she needs to get out of the ship, but knowing the alien is still aboard. The lingering silences in this finale, put you in Rileys place, her fear of the uknown and the realiziation that in the silence more can be heard. The films ending with the reveal of the alien being aboad with Ripley is still shcoking even though you kinda knew something else was coming. But the suprising point of this finale was that usually the alien on board would spell death for our protagonist, but we see Ripley, getting her courage and bravery to send the alien into space, a final realiziation for the film, Ripley is alnd always was going to be the surivior like anyone she is in fear, but that powers her bravery. I fins this scene a first in showing the power of women in film, with usually a film holding a woman who fights back but seems to always have some help; Ripley does not. She is literally completely alone apart from her menace the alien, showing she is cinemas first heroine to fight her own battle.
To conclude, there is not a single shot in Alien that does not leave one in awe and wonder, all of them make you think and stay with you. The acting is top notch too, with Sigourney Weaver playing the part perfectly. This turly is one of the greatest Sci Fi movies of all time. Ill say it again, perfection.
watithink123Apr 15, 2012
A very good movie. Best Alien movie in the series. By far the scariest movie in the series. A few jump monments. A great fim. Alien 8.6/10
RedAFXApr 11, 2012
Meticulous, absorbing set design by genius visual artist H.R. Giger, the best sci fi acting performances yet, terrifying, this masterpiece works on numerous levels.
SantiagoMAKiiNAJun 4, 2012
As Prometheus dawns on us, I have decided to revisit all of the Alien films. Yes, you may call that an excuse to do a super fun marathon at home. "Work" as I like to call it.
I admit I was a bit skeptic at first. Having grown up with these
I admit I was a bit skeptic at first. Having grown up with these films and feeling great admiration for them, I was worried that a modern viewing might date the content and change my fond memories of the material. And can I happily declare that "Alien", not only stood the test of time, but reminded me of how irrefutable is Ridley Scott's natural talent for film making. Let me remind you this is Ridley's second outing at feature film. The guy just has that organic instinct for the art of the shot.
The version I settled on was the 2003 director's cut. I was curious to see what Ridley would do as a final attempt on the series he launched to great influence into pop culture of the 20th century. The extras are not many but worth the time. They feel more like a polish more than a rework. Why change a master piece?
One aspect of the film that I simply couldn't avoid is the cinematography. The shots are a living canvas. Derek VanLint passed away a while back. He left us with seriously impacting work. My eyes wouldn't wander off the screen. Though It helps having Mr. Scott handling the pace of the shots. You can feel the hand of a surgeon at work here. Not much is seen per-say of the typical horror visual bluntness of this genre. Most is left to the imagination and the world of the implied. Anxiety in the form of a concerto of subtlety.
Many modern film makers should take note of how little is needed to keep an audience nails clenching teeth. It's not the overblown budget or the hordes of hoakey monsters. But the work of a man that knows how to hold you back with dire anticipation until the very few money shots that actually do scare you.
It seems obvious to discuss Mr. Giger's creature. Although this subject has been pounded endlessly over the years. Alien, the creature, having interwoven itself in modern culture. My addition to the mass of literature will be minimal... It's still scary. Yes, it certainly is. And, no, I wouldn't want to wake up next to it any time soon. Even if Ripley herself is laying there with me ready to help.
Speaking of waking up to Ripley. You know which scene I'm talking about. I was beginning to think wearing microscopic underwear and revealing a phenomenal waist line was all modern fare. No, sir. Ripley was well on to this incoming trend back in the 70s. I mean. The ease with which she reveals that body in the escape pod. It's almost as if the director was thinking, "how do I reward my audience after nearly two hours of torturous panic?" Ridley, you did reward us, sir. The movie. The monster. The girl. We loved it all... Once again.
Tall_But_ShortJul 10, 2012
Ridley Scott's Alien takes a hell of a long time to start the actual suspense of the movie but when it does actually begin, its fantastic. However, these slow first fifty or so minutes builds the movie and paces it in a brilliant way. TheRidley Scott's Alien takes a hell of a long time to start the actual suspense of the movie but when it does actually begin, its fantastic. However, these slow first fifty or so minutes builds the movie and paces it in a brilliant way. The suspense is great but I wouldn't consider this a horror movie. Nonetheless, this is a fantastic film. Expand
jerjerjerJun 11, 2012
This is still my favorite movie out of all the other Alien films combined. It still scares me to this day and I have seen this movie so many times no matter if it is the original from 1979 or the director's cut in 2003. I don't believe anyoneThis is still my favorite movie out of all the other Alien films combined. It still scares me to this day and I have seen this movie so many times no matter if it is the original from 1979 or the director's cut in 2003. I don't believe anyone can recreating the original feel of this movie without copying it. Expand
chuckyboy12001Jun 30, 2012
Alien, by newcomer director Ridley Scott, is without a doubt the greatest monster movie of all time and is exemplary of the much used "haunted house" format. Nearly every facet of this film is flawless including sublime art and creatureAlien, by newcomer director Ridley Scott, is without a doubt the greatest monster movie of all time and is exemplary of the much used "haunted house" format. Nearly every facet of this film is flawless including sublime art and creature design, with amazing levels of detail perhaps only seen before in 2001: A Space Odyssey, a fantastic script with a mind blowing premise and creature life cycle, an understated and eerie score and the list could go on Expand
charlieW24Jul 8, 2012
Easily one of Sci-Fi
SpangleJul 22, 2014
The film is a little slow in the beginning, but once everything kicks in, my God is this ever a great thrill ride. Thrilling, terrifying, and exciting, it is stunning to think this one came out in 1979, since it still works perfectly today.The film is a little slow in the beginning, but once everything kicks in, my God is this ever a great thrill ride. Thrilling, terrifying, and exciting, it is stunning to think this one came out in 1979, since it still works perfectly today. The acting is solid, the thrills are ever present, and the script is great. There is really not much wrong with Alien. However, the real star is the set and production design. The planet they go to is brilliantly put together, their ship is done very well, and the alien is masterfully done and definitely the face of terror it claims to be. There is no disappoint at all when we first see the alien since it is so well done and fits our imagination of what it looks like and more. Undeniably timeless, Alien is a classic in every sense of the world and truly lives up to the hype. A must watch for anybody who has yet to see it. Expand
RikiegeJan 23, 2013
In his time the movie was original.
DexEngineerMar 15, 2021
It's difficult not to give this movie 10 points in 2021 when most movies are not even trying to be good in the name of agenda. Alien is great... story, climate, Ripley. So 2021 is checked... till next year, dear aliens.
sanyrubDec 24, 2013
A true classic. It almost created a new genre and perfectly showed us that less is better most of the times. It´s the first and also the best Alien film. The second was a really good sequel, but loses some of the appeal. This one is perfect,A true classic. It almost created a new genre and perfectly showed us that less is better most of the times. It´s the first and also the best Alien film. The second was a really good sequel, but loses some of the appeal. This one is perfect, the pace, the acting and the tension. Incredibly tense I would say. The final scenes (last 10 minutes or so) are iconic. The leading character Ripley is one of the best woman characters ever made, and is brilliantly brought to life by Sigourney Weaver. Original and strong film. Expand
TrilobiteGAug 18, 2013
This has to be one of my favourite sci-fi of all time. I am a huge fan of this film and you'll find out soon. I love how this film brings suspense into scenes which generally leaves the audience staring at the screen....wanting to be toldThis has to be one of my favourite sci-fi of all time. I am a huge fan of this film and you'll find out soon. I love how this film brings suspense into scenes which generally leaves the audience staring at the screen....wanting to be told that everything is ok and that the character is in good condition, and if the character is not....then they will find themselves shocked, excited and scared for what is to come. I love how the xenomorph tracks it's prey. It is like a silent assassin that swoops from tree to tree looking for something to devour and kill. It is by far my favourite alien in any film it stars in ever. Ridley has developed a complete anatomy and a life cycle around this creature which is extraordinary. He has invented this being which has it's own species and adaptations and that to me is just pure genius. So, alien is a great watch for ages 10 and up and I do hope we see the xenomorph hit cinemas again soon! Expand
LaGuertaApr 18, 2013
Scott's severe dedication to suspense occasionally caused my eyes to drift away from the screen but not for long. This film is very much in control of itself and doesn't stray from the gloom it creates except for the few minutes when it isScott's severe dedication to suspense occasionally caused my eyes to drift away from the screen but not for long. This film is very much in control of itself and doesn't stray from the gloom it creates except for the few minutes when it is appropriate to do so. Markedly better on second viewing. Expand
Jimbo82Apr 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Technically, Alien is pretty much flawless and right from the start when the camera is panning round the ship you know you're in for something special. The film starts slowly by gradually building the tension and suspense once the crew get to the distant planet (the build up was a little too slow if I'm being super critical). The cinematography was also excellent and once they reach the distant planet to investigate the apparent S.O.S you really feel as though you are at a bleak and desperate place and this really helps to set the scene and continues to build the tension.

The main crew on board the ship consists of; Ripley (Weaver) Dallas (Skerritt) and Parker (Kotto) to name a few. All performances given by the cast were good, but no-one gave a stand out performance in my opinion. I did enjoy the interaction between all the characters and felt as though they all connected well together they all squabbled with each other at times, but were all there for each other and worked as a team when it mattered.

Alien also benefits from impressive special effects (considering it was made in 1979) and once the alien grew to full size I thought it looked quite menacing.

The main problem I have with Alien is the rather poor ending. Once all the crew on board are killed, there is only Ripley as the surviving member. Having hunted down and killed all her crew, the Alien doesn't chase Ripley and instead just lets her run round the ship, pick up her cat and then get in the escape capsule. Then the Alien turns up wedged at the front of the capsule (for no apparent reason). Ripley then gases the Alien, fires at it and it gets blasted out of the door and that's pretty much the end. How I wish that Ridley Scott would have opted for a 'proper final showdown' (a la Predator). But instead Ridley opts for a rather pathetic ending.

I probably would have rated Alien either 8 or 9 had it not had such an anti-climactic ending, but for that resson I have given Alien a 7.
mbeckfordOct 27, 2020
The standard bearer of horror in space, Ridley Scott's masterpiece still thrills new generations of fans. The Giger-inspired alien induces a claustrophobic nightmare that still carries on in sequels and prequels.
Skullgirlsfan13May 28, 2013
I wanted to always see this movie because I hear that it's one of those type of movies that just has to be watched, but I never got around to it. It was until my American studies teacher told me I should watch it over the summer; last year,I wanted to always see this movie because I hear that it's one of those type of movies that just has to be watched, but I never got around to it. It was until my American studies teacher told me I should watch it over the summer; last year, and I finally did. I thought it built suspense up very well, using classic ways of camera work, and good effects to make the alien as scary as possible. Now my problem with the film is just its pacing, I feel like a lot of time is wasted until the Alien appears, which I did get over, but I'm saying that its there. The actors are okay, the main lead is really good in trying to show that women can stand up for themselves, and I really do care for her in tense situations. The alien itself is well done, every stage it's in is creepy and terrifying. The ending is sort of a mixed message to me, it's either that now she'll wait eons for anyone to help or they hope for another movie. Whatever that ending may say I think this is a very good horror movie, and deserves the credit it has been appointed. Expand
JohnnyStephensNov 9, 2013
Entertaining, thrilling, a legend!!! Weaver rocks!!! My all-time favourite movie!!!! The best franchise ever made!!! Not to be missed!!! Stunning, dazzling, excellent!!!! Perfection!!!
MerodeTalksMar 9, 2019
The Alien (1979) is in my opinion prime example of horror done right. The world as well as characters feel authentic. Just a bunch of regular people doing their work who find themselves in unusual circumstances and struggle to survive. TheThe Alien (1979) is in my opinion prime example of horror done right. The world as well as characters feel authentic. Just a bunch of regular people doing their work who find themselves in unusual circumstances and struggle to survive. The tension builds up over time and you really like and care about characters.

Atmosphere and visuals are still stunning to this day. I think that's mostly due to lack of CGI which ages quickly. I can't imagine the amount of work put to create these sets. Soundtrack is just stunning and I highly suggest you Google a remastered version online.

What I probably valued the most as a child watching it for the first time and now as adult, is how it really shows vastness of space and potential coming with it. You never know what awaits next system? Who is elephant man? It was a food for thought when I was growing up. Unknown and lack of answers are enticing.

It's a shame the following movies (except maybe for Aliens) did no justice to the original. I think this movie was one huge coincidence and director simply doesn't understand what made it successful and is unable to reproduce it. I can't blame writer because Dan O'Bannon never got a shot at writing next Alien movie (although interviews with him make me think he wouldn't know where to take it too).

The all time classic, which works best if you consider it the only canon Alien product.
PvtJacksonJun 16, 2014
A classic horror film set in modern time about an expendable crew desperately fighting against a dreadful, unfamiliar human-eater species inside a spaceship getting lost in space and without support, Ridley Scott's Alien is a marvel ofA classic horror film set in modern time about an expendable crew desperately fighting against a dreadful, unfamiliar human-eater species inside a spaceship getting lost in space and without support, Ridley Scott's Alien is a marvel of atmospheric tension successfully combined with slow-paced direction (it is easily noticeable that during the whole film, the camera barely moved) that portrays human natural fear of the unknown. Expand
demolisher7778Oct 14, 2014
Alien is a fantastic Horror film because of its tension and amazing screenplay and not to mention its originality for a 70's Sci-Fi film. A definite horror classic and a must watch
lukechristianscNov 24, 2014
ONE OF MY FAVORITE REVIEW!; This was one of my favorite sci-fi movies it something we fans of science fiction have never seen before, It has isolated feeling full of pressure from these actors Tom Skerrit ,Harry Dean Stanton , John Hurt ,ONE OF MY FAVORITE REVIEW!; This was one of my favorite sci-fi movies it something we fans of science fiction have never seen before, It has isolated feeling full of pressure from these actors Tom Skerrit ,Harry Dean Stanton , John Hurt , Ian Holm, Yaphet Koto and actresses Sigourney Weaver , Veronica Cartwright and it's a feeling that we have watch in horror movies but never like in Ridley Scott classic. A perfect formula to make a movie from Dan O' Bannon who uses creativity instead of other non good horror films. Grade A+ Expand
Larry223Aug 22, 2014
Al principio yo no sabia que esperar de esta película. Había oído que era de terror lo cual me pareció interesante, un alien aterrador con habilidades de matar y sobrevivir únicas. Sin embargo no sabia hasta que punto tendría miedo pero siAl principio yo no sabia que esperar de esta película. Había oído que era de terror lo cual me pareció interesante, un alien aterrador con habilidades de matar y sobrevivir únicas. Sin embargo no sabia hasta que punto tendría miedo pero si que te da tensión ya que los humanos tienen diferentes personalidades y aunque no tienen mucho tiempo para desarrollarse, no los quieres ver morir quieres que vivan. Tiene partes en las que sale el alien y te asusta de la nada pero la película te lo llega a avisar por que moldea el momento y medio lo puedes ver venir, no es algo como un screamer de youtube. Al final esta película me pareció buena, tiene un antagonista muy interesante ya que sabes poco de el, los personajes están bien presentados y te llegara a asustar pero tampoco resulto la mejor película de horror que haya visto le doy un 08/10 una gran película. Expand
inaneswineNov 14, 2017
I completely understand how important this film is to the horror genre. Nonetheless, the film never particularly blew me away when I watched it for the first time, and it doesn't particularly now. Where it should be building tension, it justI completely understand how important this film is to the horror genre. Nonetheless, the film never particularly blew me away when I watched it for the first time, and it doesn't particularly now. Where it should be building tension, it just seems to drag on sometimes. Having said that, it really is terrifying at times. The third act of the film is so tense, so excellently shot and so well performed by Weaver. It is a well put together film with a great cast and a great creature, beautifully realised by H.R. Giger. Nevertheless, today, Alien feels to me as though it serves only as a prelude to the far superior Aliens. Expand
MrM101Jul 2, 2014
Master stroke of science fiction brilliance. The creature is something of a violent sexual nightmare and it haunts you to the core. This is a perfect science fiction movie. You will watch, then again, then again , and you will always coneMaster stroke of science fiction brilliance. The creature is something of a violent sexual nightmare and it haunts you to the core. This is a perfect science fiction movie. You will watch, then again, then again , and you will always cone back to it. It's perfect. Expand
FreezeBlade1220Oct 6, 2015
This is my favorite movie of all time despite the 8/10 rating. Why? It's honestly not as scary as I thought it would be. The Alien isn't that terrifying. The atmosphere, though, is a different story. It almost made me stop watching. Back toThis is my favorite movie of all time despite the 8/10 rating. Why? It's honestly not as scary as I thought it would be. The Alien isn't that terrifying. The atmosphere, though, is a different story. It almost made me stop watching. Back to why it isn't that scary. Only one moment gave me a "jump out of your skin" moment, and I've barely hit teenage years!! Only about 5 or 6 people are seen dying. So, basically, great movie, but kinda overrated and not as scary as most people say. Expand
jools123Aug 4, 2014
This movie carried some fine acting and a great plot. Packed with suspense and action, this movie blasted Weaver's carrier up to the top. It was a fine Ridley Scott movie too. It does lack some character development thought.
Kai82Nov 7, 2020
A cult classic that started a franchise, a legacy and is for many the quintessential science fiction / horror movie. In addition it made Sigourney Weaver, Ridley Scott and H. R: Giger world famous. It is the story of the crew of theA cult classic that started a franchise, a legacy and is for many the quintessential science fiction / horror movie. In addition it made Sigourney Weaver, Ridley Scott and H. R: Giger world famous. It is the story of the crew of the commercial spaceship Nostromo. The crew is awakened from stasis by the ships computer as an emergency signal was received from a nearby moon. After the rocky landing they discover that it is not a ship of human origin and it holds a frightening secret. Here I stop my introduction because of spoilers. The great strength of the movie is the cast including the director and the atmosphere they created. The atmosphere is intense and as the movie progresses it gets better and better as the whole cast is in a grim situation that they want to solve while it might be fully out of their control. I must praise first the director Ridley Scott. He delivered a masterpiece and had a clear vision. There is even a scene were he did not told the actors about a surprise to get a more realistic and shocked performance (Everyone who saw the movie will immediately know the scene I described here spoiler free). Even if this was made up later it is believable as he clearly knows what he wanted and what worked in this movie. Then there are the actors. Let start with Sigourney Weaver whose career jump-started with this movie. She is the star of the movie and delivers a flawless performance. Tom Skerrit as captain Dallas is also good and only in this movie because of Ridley Scott (and a higher budget). The rest of the cast is also great and I think Veronica Cartwright, John Hurt, Harry Dean Stanton, Yaphet Kotto and especially Ian Holm should be mentioned here and praised for their performance. All in all they create an atmosphere that is so immersive that you forget that it is a movie. Then I must also talk about H. R. Giger and his effects. He became a legend and he deserved respect. In short he made a career and a lot of money out of nightmares and his imagination. His special effects were stellar and did not fail to deliver. I almost forgot the sets. Again they create a realistic and believable atmosphere. Just mundane space travel as it would look if it became common business and alien looking structures that are equally believable. Then there is the score that enhance the atmosphere. It is so good that you will not notice its effects that you will experience (This is not a critique and meant positive). I have nothing negative to say here and might only warn you about 1 scene that is maybe to shocking for some even if its widely know by now. When the crew takes a meal after a crewman recovered be prepared for the worst. Overall this is a masterpiece and cult classic. Got a rightful place in movie history and is still as good now as back then. Expand
DenisManuSep 5, 2014
Alien is a Sci-Fi Horror movie that dazzles you with wonder. Ridley Scott manages to create a true classic that's suspenseful and amazing.Highly recommended.
Incubus96Oct 11, 2014
Alien is a fantastic science fiction horror film by Ridley Scott that focuses on the crew of a commercial towing ship Nostromo who are diverted to investigate a mysterious signal. The film stars Sigourney Weaver as Ripley a Warrant Officer.Alien is a fantastic science fiction horror film by Ridley Scott that focuses on the crew of a commercial towing ship Nostromo who are diverted to investigate a mysterious signal. The film stars Sigourney Weaver as Ripley a Warrant Officer. The film introduces us to the xenomorph which has gone on to be a classic science fiction monster. Expand
DanBotterillNov 4, 2014
From the surface it seems like your typical, predictable horror story which visualises the cineosis of Humans vs. Aliens, but it’s easy to forget that this film’s script wasn't typical at its time and its narrative structure became overusedFrom the surface it seems like your typical, predictable horror story which visualises the cineosis of Humans vs. Aliens, but it’s easy to forget that this film’s script wasn't typical at its time and its narrative structure became overused by the latter horror movies. It differentiates in the way it uses ambiguous Freudian overtones, very unusual for its time. As for predictable, well, I believe that was intentional. It gives it an almost ‘Hitchcockian’ form of omniscient narration which results in suspense. The camera seems to frequently latch on to different characters as if it were taking bets on who would survive but can’t make its mind up, as if it were an alien looking for a new host. Most of the time we know what is going to happen to the crew and it is our expectations which cause the apprehension that follows and it is this apprehension which seems to alienate us within the storyline. The nauseating feeling in your chest grows until it feels like bursting. Expand
ShedeggDec 5, 2014
The first of an amazing series, alien does not disappoint. For a movie made a fair while ago, the effects used were good. The acting and directing is perfectly done, and in one scene the main cast didn't know what was going to happen! This isThe first of an amazing series, alien does not disappoint. For a movie made a fair while ago, the effects used were good. The acting and directing is perfectly done, and in one scene the main cast didn't know what was going to happen! This is probably one movie people should watch before they die. If you like sci-fi, you will probably like this. And once you have watched this be ready for 3 (4 if you count Prometheus) more amazing movies! I would definitely recommend this movie Expand
Le__XenomorphDec 15, 2014
This movie is the near-perfect example of horror. Its creepy atmosphere drips with tension as you share Ripley's fear when running from the Alien. 'Nuff said. 9/10 (Awesome).
VinceRocks123May 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. mix horror with sic-fi together and you get a action-packed climatic thrill ride that works, in Ridley Scott's sci-fi masterpiece ALIEN

The crew of the Nostromo has investigated a nightmarish uninhabitable planet and has brought back a terror that threatens to devour all of them, an interstellar embryonic hybrid that feeds on a living host during birth.

when the embryo evolves into a full fledged alien killing machine, crew member Ellen Ripley finds herself the only person destined to escape the maze of terror in the shape as all her companions disappear one by one, and with the ship on the verge of self-destructing in orbit.

lots of tense violent climatic chilling and disturbing scenes, including a creepy jumpscare, Ridley Scott has given us a horror attraction we will never forget! an excellent first in cinema history

goes to show that in space no one can hear you scream.........
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ridley Scott's Alien bookend a decade of space-themed films, and the distance between them is telling. Released a year before the lunar landing, 2001 looked to the stars with an almost religiousStanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ridley Scott's Alien bookend a decade of space-themed films, and the distance between them is telling. Released a year before the lunar landing, 2001 looked to the stars with an almost religious sense of optimism. At the end of the following decade–after Star Wars, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, and others–1979's Alien suggested another view of space: It could suck. Written by Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett and directed by Scott, Alien opens with a series of scenes depicting life on the deep-space cargo vessel Nostromo, where the food is bad, management quarrels with labor, and the computer wakes the crew up to check out weird signals coming from some godforsaken planet. Plus, there's the small matter of an alien getting loose and killing everyone. Reissued apparently to celebrate the film's 24th anniversary, this new cut of Alien adds a few intriguing but negligible scenes that will already be familiar to laserdisc and DVD fans. No matter. Despite years of imitators, sequels (some great, some not so), and edited-for-television broadcasts, Alien has lost none of its power, and the big screen only intensifies its impact. Scott's slow, unrelentingly dread-inducing direction, which makes even the shadow of some wind chimes look scary, has a lot to do with it. So does the never-equaled creature design by Swiss surrealist H.R. Giger, who crafts a giant bug-monkey of bottomless appetites, dreadful appendages, and an uncomfortable resemblance to certain portions of the human anatomy. But there's another reason, too: Where 2001 and Close Encounters suggested that humanity would bring its best impulses and brightest hopes beyond the clouds, Alien served as a reminder that its worst fears would also be part of the package. It's bodies, not ideals, that travel the stars, and bodies break, burst, and scream. Expand
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015
When Alien was first released during the summer movie season of 1979, science fiction films were all the rage. The trend had been started two years earlier with the unexpected box office success of Star Wars, and, by 1979, anything evenWhen Alien was first released during the summer movie season of 1979, science fiction films were all the rage. The trend had been started two years earlier with the unexpected box office success of Star Wars, and, by 1979, anything even remotely connected with space and/or aliens was guaranteed to raise some interest. Two highly anticipated efforts - the big-screen debut of Star Trek (Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and the Star Wars sequel (The Empire Strikes Back) - both of which were within a year of their opening dates, further invigorated the atmosphere. It was into this climate that Alien was unleashed upon the general public.

The film's memorable tag line, "In space, no one can hear you scream", promised a far different experience than the popcorn entertainment of Star Wars or the kinder, gentler saga of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. In fact, Alien was as much horror as it was science fiction. In fact, one could make a convincing argument that there is more synergy between this picture and John Carpenter's Halloween than between Alien and any of the other umpteen sci-fi movies invading movie theaters at the time. Alien is about shocks and chills and thrills, not space battles. Where Star Wars has light sabers and blasters, Alien has intense atmosphere.

In many ways, Alien was the first of a kind. True - it wasn't the first space movie to feature a homicidal monster, nor was it the first time a group of characters were hunted down one-by-one in dark, dank spaces. However, this "haunted house in space" film was one of the first to effectively cross-pollinate these two genres. Alien became the blueprint for dozens of rip-offs and three sequels. With one exception (James Cameron's superior Aliens, which substituted all-out action for creepy horror), none has come close to what the filmmakers attained with the 1979 feature.

The director of Alien is British-born Ridley Scott, who was stepping behind the camera for only the second time (his feature debut was 1977's The Duellists). Along with 1982's Blade Runner, Alien cemented Scott as a filmmaker of great promise and ability. These days, whenever the director releases a new film, reviewers will inevitably mention Alien, Blade Runner, or both somewhere within the text of their write-up.

In addition to blending graphic horror with science fiction, Alien has another distinction - it is one of the first films to feature a female action hero. Even today, on those rare occasions when a woman takes the lead in an action/adventure movie, she is typically measured up to Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley. In actuality, much of Ripley's reputation is based on events in Aliens, where she strikes back against the creatures with a vengeance. In Alien, Ripley is essentially just one of several crew members - until the end, when she's the last one standing (not counting Jones the cat). Having Ripley as the hero of Alien is an interesting twist. In 1979, viewers automatically expected that role to be filled by Tom Skerritt - not only because he had top billing, but because he is a man.

Many so-called "Director's Cuts" are significant re-workings of their theatrical siblings. This is not the case with Alien. The most important features of this "new" version are the digital cleaning of the print and the re-mastering of the sound. There are a few added scenes, but they are mostly insignificant and have been previously seen (at least by fans of the movie) on the laserdisc or DVD releases. The best thing about having this movie available 24 years after it first reached theaters is that it gives a new generation of film-goers a chance to experience it on the big screen. And, despite the passage of a quarter of a century, Alien has lost none of its punch. I can't think of a better way to spend a Halloween night.
DanBurritoApr 27, 2016
Ridley Scott's "Alien" is a suspenseful, thrilling, and terrifically acted sci-fi classic. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through, and there were plot twists that I never saw coming. Ripley is a great character, and one of theRidley Scott's "Alien" is a suspenseful, thrilling, and terrifically acted sci-fi classic. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through, and there were plot twists that I never saw coming. Ripley is a great character, and one of the best movie heroines of all time. The special effects are still pretty impressive for 1979, and the plot's slow-building tension keeps your heart pounding the whole time. In short, "Alien" is a very important film in cinema history and one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Expand
madigbick54Oct 9, 2015
i could just scream how godly this movie is but in space nobody could hear you scream. Sigourney Weaver, on a space station with the coolest alien ever existed in cinema history. the Xenomorph. this movie...... should be **** movie of thei could just scream how godly this movie is but in space nobody could hear you scream. Sigourney Weaver, on a space station with the coolest alien ever existed in cinema history. the Xenomorph. this movie...... should be **** movie of the decade.James cameron did the sequel Aliens, and those who like the sequel. i think i'll stay with the orginal. my favorite movie of all goddamn time. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 1, 2016
This classical installment is what we like to call a masterpiece! Even though it isn't close to a 10, but it's still worth giving a 9 on it for being an excellent work.
timoneOct 25, 2018
So it's October and I was trying to think about something to review for Halloween at the scariest time of the year so I guess I better go for the one's that I have watched and maybe I could get the creepiness and not. Alien is the answer.So it's October and I was trying to think about something to review for Halloween at the scariest time of the year so I guess I better go for the one's that I have watched and maybe I could get the creepiness and not. Alien is the answer. When I was a kid, I've heard about the Alien films. Okay, I haven't seen them cause my dad told me they're disgusting films. It's kind of scary that he told me that. Alien is a film that everybody loved and got terrified by it. it came to be one of the scariest films of the 70's and when I first watched them as an adult, it scared the freaking hell out of me, well, not much because I'm not a wuss. Alien is the first to scare me. The opening had a scary reputation to creep me more than that, I watched some movie scary opening credits with creepy music and now this. Sigourney Weaver many people say is a great actress. Come to think of it, my mum is a huge fan of her. She's great as Ellen Ripley and all the other cast are great. The story is so gripping sometimes the film may have boring parts as a horror film but that's just the pace. The crew have woken up from their beds and then waiting to get home but has to find something what was crash landed in the island and Kane got face hugged by the creepy crawly things. Now Dallas and Ash had to get back to take a look at Kane getting face hugged, what's giving him. The face hugger's have acid for blood. And you know all the rest. I won't have to go into too much detail cause the audience have seen it for many years and you know classics never die. The alien is a creepy looking creature with a second mouth inside his mouth. Kind of a tongue mouth, ain't it? But the face? Yeah, that is incredibly looking creepy. And the scene that Kane dies because the alien is inside him and you've all remember what happens to people if the alien is inside the body? Behold, I give you the most terrifying, the most incredible, the most scariest scene that could ever give you nightmares, THE CHESTBURSTER! For me, though, it doesn't give me nightmares. There are some scary moments in this that always got my attention. OK, now, the video game I've played and that's Alien Isolation. This is after the film Alien before Aliens. Now when I was playing on the game though, it scared the hell out of me. I mean, REALLY scared me to death. Because when I actually come across the aliens, one for one actual reason has climbed down the ceiling and I have to duck down so that it couldn't see me. If I throw something out there the alien comes and searches something. I can tell by the sounds they're making. And I died by the alien that really does scare me. Everytime the alien comes, I kind of swore under my breath because how scary it is. The way the game is, the way that creature looks and the way it snawls, it's just pure scary. All right, so that's it for the game and I guess it's time for me to get back on my review. Alien is one of the scariest films I've ever watched and I frigging love it. My mum loves it too. Don't get me wrong, the movie's there, they're get you on your hat. the ending where Ripley escapes is really gripping because it feels like you're in the hurry. The hurry that when you're on the ship and getting the hell out of here before the time runs out. If you don't, the ship will explode. That got me right in here! It's kind of feels like you're leaving someone behind because they're dead, and yeah, the crew is already dead cause the alien killed them. There are some scenes that wasn't in the film and I already know that already so I can't remember any scene that wasn't in the original version. I already knew the scene where Ripley and Parker heard Bret screaming after he got slaughtered which is why I think that it should have included on the original. In fact, why can't all the missing scenes be in the original, there's always a catch. I don't know. Because they're from the Director's Cut. I think the Special Edition versions did the same to all the Alien films. There's no doubt about it. This is one of the greatest fantastic disgusting scariest science fiction horror film that ever hit the big screen in the late 70's. That is, uh, the lights are off in here. I could watch it every night and not get scared by it! Get ready for the sequel which I'm going to do in the meantime. Now sit back and get ready for a SPOOOOOKY night! Expand
srw2K14Mar 9, 2016
A phenomenal display of visuals and production design. Alien has a powerful effect on the senses with immense claustrophobia. The atmosphere is established brilliantly and the special effects are out of this world. The music also helps createA phenomenal display of visuals and production design. Alien has a powerful effect on the senses with immense claustrophobia. The atmosphere is established brilliantly and the special effects are out of this world. The music also helps create an eerie sense which just adds to everything that's awesome about this movie.

The characters are relatable and likable but Sigourney Weaver stole the show. Her strong performance of Ellen Ripley surprised everyone and proved that a female character could be just as awesome as all the Han Solo’s and Captain Kirk’s. Alien to me is the perfect display of what a movie should be. It’s beyond great.
FuturedirectorMay 17, 2017
Just as an unforgettable sci-fi classic picture should be, Alien offers a smart and surprisingly innovative picture staged with thrilling stunts and a gloriously talented cast.
CinemassacreMar 13, 2016

Alien begins slowly and calmly by introducing us to the crew of the Nostromo, a commercial towing space vehicle on a return course for Earth. They number seven - the relatively laid-back captain, Dallas (Skerritt); Ripley (Weaver), the ship's warrant officer; Lambert (Veronica Cartwright), the ship's highly strung navigator; science officer Ash (Ian Holm), who seems to have ice water for blood; Kane (John Hurt), who is possessed of a gallows humor; and grunts Brett (Harry Dean Stanton) and Parker (Yaphet Kotto), who spend their time grumbling about not getting full bonuses. During the film's early scenes, there's a sense of ordinariness about the crew's activities. For them, this is drudgery - they're looking forward to getting home and collecting their money. The dangers of space are far from their minds, and, as a result, from ours. Those who believe the beginning of Alien is dull and plodding are missing the point. The somewhat lethargic pace is necessary for the rest of the movie to work as effectively as it does.

MovieMasterEddyApr 9, 2016

Alien is a perfect example of a director gradually elevating the level of energy and anticipation in a motion picture. The way Scott meticulously raises the sense of menace and tension is worthy of Hitchcock. Like Steven Spielberg's great thriller Jaws, this atmosphere-soaked production relies on the viewer's imagination to enhance the alien's nightmarishness. Scott carefully restricts how much we see of the creature - there's enough to provide our minds with horrifying images, but not so much that the illusion is spoiled.

Alien contains its fair share of genuine scares. These aren't mere "boo" moments, where something benign jumps out of the shadows accompanied by a loud noise and a musical crescendo, but legitimate shocks. The first occurs when the face-hugger leaps out of the egg and attaches itself to Kane. The second is when the alien explodes through Kane's chest. Then, during the hunt for the alien, there are numerous others. In fact, the level of suspense during the film's final 30 minutes becomes almost unbearable. What started as a seemingly low-key motion picture turns into a real white-knuckler.

Despite not featuring any big names, the cast for Alien is comprised of credible actors, including two --Ian Holm and John Hurt - who have won numerous critical plaudits and earned Oscar nominations. Ironically, Sigourney Weaver, who would go on to be the most successful of the Alien stars, arguably gives the least impressive performance. Weaver is an uneven actress, with strengths in comedy and action, but weaknesses in drama.

In its own way, Alien was as influential as Star Wars, proving that in the '70s/'80s wave of sci-fi, there was room for darker, grittier stories than the ones set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
LHethJul 17, 2016
'Alien' is a nearly flawless film; it's thrilling, nerve-racking and visually stunning even by today's standards. The plot is delightfully straightforward, but simultaenously layered and intriguing, with pacing brisk enough to keep viewers'Alien' is a nearly flawless film; it's thrilling, nerve-racking and visually stunning even by today's standards. The plot is delightfully straightforward, but simultaenously layered and intriguing, with pacing brisk enough to keep viewers fully enveloped in the story.
For its time, it subverted the horror genre in an unfamiliar way by being unpredictable and popularised elements that slasher films would later borrow liberally from, all the while crafting a audaciously brave heroine Ripley (Sigourney Weaver). Although Weaver and her character were the breakout stars, there is not one forgettable crew member, from perpetually terrified Lambert (Veronica Cartwright) to Yaphetto Kotto's abrasive Parker.
The true star? HR Giger's iconically designed antagonist: the xenomorph. Ridley Scott's restraint with showing the alien only drums up suspense like Keith Moon awaiting for a prostate exam, and when it is seen in all its horrific glory, it's an unparalleled presence.
The production design of the sets by Michael Seymour. The intricate details of the titular monster by the screenwriters. The visual flair of director Ridley Scott. The performances of Weaver, Hurt et al. Jerry Goldsmith's score. Each crew member deserves individual acclaim for their work in this masterpiece, but unfortunately there's not enough room.
alejandro970Aug 27, 2017
Despite it´s close to 40 years of life, it still reatains that status as a cult genre film, through the chilling and claustrophobic atmosphere, the haunting, almost silent score composed by Jerry Goldsmith and the recreation of space monster.Despite it´s close to 40 years of life, it still reatains that status as a cult genre film, through the chilling and claustrophobic atmosphere, the haunting, almost silent score composed by Jerry Goldsmith and the recreation of space monster. Shall not miss it and be careful of fake spin- offs. Expand
VirgonoShakaNov 21, 2017
Alien is a sci-fi movie that really shows how to make a survival horror movie done right, and with its great atmosphere, designs, sound, characters, and production. It is a classic, in the way that every scene is excellent, has a great placeAlien is a sci-fi movie that really shows how to make a survival horror movie done right, and with its great atmosphere, designs, sound, characters, and production. It is a classic, in the way that every scene is excellent, has a great place in the narrative and the characters in general are so memorable. The only reason it doesn't go into "masterpiece" level, is that there are a few small aspects that I just don't think are at the level of the rest of the movie. Nevertheless, this is a movie that is one of the best in its genre, and one for the list of movies you have to watch before you die, no matter if you like the type or not. Final verdict: 9.4 Expand
Cameronius_113Jan 15, 2017
Alien was released in 1979 and was directed by Ridley Scott. The movie is about a crew of a space vessel who have an alien being get on board their ship which begins to wipe them all out so they must try and defend themselves and get rid ofAlien was released in 1979 and was directed by Ridley Scott. The movie is about a crew of a space vessel who have an alien being get on board their ship which begins to wipe them all out so they must try and defend themselves and get rid of it.
The movie has a great, tensional atmosphere which is built up extremely well; many scenes are either quiet or silent which adds to the sense of isolation and the fact that their enemy could be absolutely anywhere. This is quite a slow-paced movie (nearly the first five minutes are all silent shots of panning through locations). Usually this would be a weak point but the pace works for this film as it adds to the amount of tension. Also, because of the slow pace it gives you time to appreciate how well done each small part of the film is done and makes everything memorable.
The practical effects are great for the time, the alien itself is a prime example; when I first saw it I was stunned by how real it looked and to think that this was nearly 40 years ago at the time of writing this is even more stunning. There's also more effects that I loved but I'll let you experience them when you see them yourself so hopefully you'll be as equally as impressed as I was.
Ellen Ripley is considered one of the greatest female leads in movies of all time and that is for good reason. She was a strong and intelligent lead and was also quite relatable at the same time.
Movies I really like are ones which I guess are 'small' so they don't really move around that far if you understand what I'm talking about; they give every aspect of the film the attention they deserve and usually end up as a more interesting movie. This movie is a prime example of a great one of these.
This is usually regarded as a horror film, hence the tagline 'In space, no one can hear you scream'. However, there's nothing really too scary here and as I said earlier is full of tension and relies on surprises and shocks rather than scares.
Overall, this was a great movie with an amazing well-built up atmosphere and gives every aspect of the film the attention it deserves, from the characters, the writing and the effects. I would highly recommend this film.
8.6/10
Who else loved Jones the Cat?
mouseypoo13Jun 18, 2017
9 out of 10. Great horror movie. Interesting plot, good acting and a great alien character. HR Giger inspired the Alien and it can clearly be seen in the terrifying xenomorph. Brilliant, must watch.
BobbyLikesMovieMar 23, 2017
So I saw Alien and Alien is a very solid science fiction movie. It is a wholly entertaining and quite the bewildering experience. Alien, taking place in a spaceship called Nostromo away from Earth in the future, is mainly about the survivalSo I saw Alien and Alien is a very solid science fiction movie. It is a wholly entertaining and quite the bewildering experience. Alien, taking place in a spaceship called Nostromo away from Earth in the future, is mainly about the survival of a crew from an intruding alien. Ridley Scott, the director, takes in elements from the genres of suspense, thriller, and horror. I find this movie as something darkly satisfying probably because of the over-bearing loneliness that the movie holds. There is something so serenely and creepily alluring that Scott manages to pull off. Certain aspects such as the cinematography, production design, and costume design make this movie dark and beautiful despite it’s adventurous tone. Basically, Scott is a practical master at creating a feeling of desolation for the audience while managing the audience to be thoroughly entertained. Today, thrillers and horror movies rely on other entities (i.e monsters) to create conflict and thrills. In Alien, it does rely on a certain monster to make the plot well-paced but there is a substantial amount of character conflict. Different characters have different ideologies and emotions. Emotions, feelings, and rationales conflict with each other. The human drama in this movie about an alien makes this movie the more realistic. It makes sure that the movie is not confined by a singular conflict only caused by the alien. I think that the human drama adds more depth to the movie and it is something that a lot of modern-day thrillers have a problem with. More on the characters, Ripley is a milestone of a protagonist. She is evidently the protagonist of this movie. She has great characteristics (i.e bold, daring, brave) and she is not one-dimensional. Through Sigourney Weaver’s monumental acting, she is perfectly fleshed out and well bodied as a character. During the 70s and before, women were not playing prominent roles. Certainly there were some movies that had a woman as a prominent role, but the notion was not popularized. This movie popularized the notion that women can play daring and brave roles. There may be more appreciation for what this movie did than what the movie is: and that is completely fine. Movies that revolutionize the film industry deserve credit. All the other cast members also do admirable acting. In actuality, all the characters are fleshed out perfectly told. However what I think makes this movie such a classic is mainly Ridley Scott. Ridley Scott manages to balance a very venturous and daring plot while making undertones that are grimly gory and chilling. Mainly, I believe that thrillers and science fiction movies during that time had to either be eerie and disturbing or fun and daring.  Ridley Scott makes sure you feel that sense of loneliness and desolation that crew felt which thrillers and suspense movies (i.e The Conversation) had whilst maintaining a competent adventure which science fiction movies had (i.e Star Wars). Scott balance both ideas effortlessly and flawlessly. He proves that horror/thriller movies can have a huge scope and have adventure and proves that adventurous movies can have a twinge of horror and creepiness. He revolutionizes the genre of science-fiction, horror, and thrillers with this movie and he deserves credit for doing something largely monumental.  Now, the question is: is this the greatest movie of all time? Lately I think it has been getting praise and has gained some type of monumental status. I do not think it is the greatest film of all time, but is an entertaining and visceral experience that manages to be revolutionary. The whole point of movies is to entertain people. And this movie entertains me a lot while being revolutionary and having a beautiful scope. Isn’t that an achievement? Expand
vulvuratAug 23, 2017
Alien is like a half-forgotten nightmare that suddenly outfolds in front of you from the cold depths of outer space. Nearly fourty years after it's release, I would still say that Alien is amongst the greatest horror and sci-fi movies of allAlien is like a half-forgotten nightmare that suddenly outfolds in front of you from the cold depths of outer space. Nearly fourty years after it's release, I would still say that Alien is amongst the greatest horror and sci-fi movies of all time. The script is extremely intelligent, Ridley Scott's breakthrough direction creates an atmosphere so thick you can nearly touch it, and the seven characters are so well developed and well acted that no moments of this film feels fake. For me, Alien isn't just a horror film, it is a thrilling and tragic drama of ordinary people fighting against something truly inhumane that is out for blood. Expand
Deckard2Jan 25, 2022
A film I associate with the **** being scared out of me when I was 12 years old..........thank you Dad.

When a film has made a significant impact it leaves a mark. I remember where I was, who I was with and how I felt when I first digested Ridley Scotts masterpiece and is a film I routinely return to.

Alien was reportedly pitched as 'Jaws in space' and follows a rag tag and often disgruntled crew as they are rudely awakened from cryo-sleep to answer a mysterious distress call down on the unknown planet LV-426. Needless to say, things don't go according to plan.

Alien is an exceptionally well crafted, slow burning sci-fi horror that still manages to shock and keep you on the edge of your seat today. The creature design by Giger is still horrifying and the subtle lore that is established serves to build intrigue without detracting from the main 'problem' the crew are facing. Little did 12 year old me know that these questions would be explored in the later made 'Prometheus'.

Notable mentions should go to Jerry Goldsmiths score who's eerily sweeping horns and strings have become synonymous with getting stalked by a xenomorph and to Ian Holm who turns in an excellent performance playing 'Ash' the ships science officer.

Although a slow burner to start (the action doesn't really kick off until the hour mark), the atmosphere and the journey you are taken on is worth the investment. This is Ridley Scott on top form and he has arguably rarely been better.
SilentTacticianSep 1, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For its time it was a great movie filled with precise scenes that created tension, thrills, and scares. Movie magnified the vastness and isolation of space plus the dangers of entering into uncharted territory. The set design and costume creation of the monster attacks and chest burst scene. For a long time, this movie has been recommended to me as a must watch thriller, suspense, and horror movie and it lived up to all of my expectations. I found it enjoyable but not the best of the best. Expand
Rcavey92212Jul 9, 2020
What is there left to say about this masterpiece that hasn't been said. The setup is simplistic as a group of salvages in deep space answer an sos and discover an alien species that attaches itself to one of its crew. Later on he awakes andWhat is there left to say about this masterpiece that hasn't been said. The setup is simplistic as a group of salvages in deep space answer an sos and discover an alien species that attaches itself to one of its crew. Later on he awakes and seems fine but soon after a deadly creature erupts from his chest killing him and begins knocking off the crew one at a time. Ridley Scott's perfect classic is intense and nightmarish suspenseful with fine performances all around but Sigourney Weaver is the real standout here. She injects Ripley with a vulnerability and strength that seems genuine and engaging. She's one of the fiercest heroines ever. The movie has garnered such a huge following over the years and rightly so it's one of the best movies ever made!

Budget: $11M
Box Office: $203.6M

Mihael_Prislin0Dec 18, 2017
One of my top 15 movies of all time! The movie has such an original plot (not for today) but for that time, 1980s. Performances like Sigourney Weaver were so original and so realistic, no wonder why the movie was such a success!
spacebear1Dec 7, 2017
Ridley Scott's Alien is the first thing that I think of when I think of the word masterpiece. This film is filled with a claustrophobic feel and tons of horror and also suspense. The protagonists Ellen Ripley is and will always be on of theRidley Scott's Alien is the first thing that I think of when I think of the word masterpiece. This film is filled with a claustrophobic feel and tons of horror and also suspense. The protagonists Ellen Ripley is and will always be on of the best movie protagonists of all time. Expand
zapVJan 1, 2018
Masterful horror that apart of perfectly exploiting usual tools of the genre like building a terrific atmosphere and creating a horrifying villain also hits you from unexpected angles. By scattering sexual symbols throughout the movie itMasterful horror that apart of perfectly exploiting usual tools of the genre like building a terrific atmosphere and creating a horrifying villain also hits you from unexpected angles. By scattering sexual symbols throughout the movie it awakens our unconscious fears and anxieties about rape, unwanted pregnancy and gory childbirth. Expand
amheretojudgeDec 7, 2018

Alien Scott's traumatic taunting exploration of other beings leaves out a long lasting impression on its shook audience. This

Alien

Scott's traumatic taunting exploration of other beings leaves out a long lasting impression on its shook audience. This classic horror drama is smart and mature on its sharp screenplay. And since the concept allows it to rely upon physical sequences, the tactics and methods used in to make a best out of a crisis, is pure genius. Despite of being short handed on visual effects, this sci-fi venture leads you to a darker and sinister path through your own imaginations. Scott uses sound and light effects to scare his viewers. This horror isn't based on any mythological or spiritual tales to create horrifying environment or on building a backstory for its cynicism.

This is a human surviving out in the nature that it fails to understand or connect with. One of the major apprentice of Scott is the uncertainty of the characteristics of the antagonist depicted in here. Among many, many deaths, one of the best sequence is the one that follows a guy chasing a cat and water dripping over him, not only does this sequence gives you goosebump audibly but the way it is shot, the visuals too are jaw dropping. The structure of the script isn't your usual in and out mission, the first half executed with sweat drop precision adds more thrill to the last breathtaking act.

Weaver as the fittest survival of all, is the real deal. Her three dimensional character is aptly cooked. The range offered to her by the writers is wide enough to flaunt her talent and she milks out the best she can from it, she is vulnerable and flawed yet brave and bold enough to stand against the impossible, the arc that takes place in front of her molds for a better illuminating character. Alien was and is definitely ahead of its time, the future is clearly visible in here.
CTHReviewsMar 15, 2018
I really like Alien. Like Jaws, the direction and suspense is top-notch. However, also like Jaws, the creature effects look dated when viewed from a far away angle.
GrantD243May 1, 2018
I can definitely see how Alien was a pretty amazing movie for the year it was released in. It could easily pass as a sci-fi film that has been released much more recently than 1979. However, I can't really judge it purely based off of theI can definitely see how Alien was a pretty amazing movie for the year it was released in. It could easily pass as a sci-fi film that has been released much more recently than 1979. However, I can't really judge it purely based off of the year it was released in because I'm watching it for the first time in 2018. And, honestly, it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I definitely expected more horror elements than what it had, and frankly I didn't find anything about this film particularly excellent outside of how good the alien looks for the era this film was made in. It was still a fun watch, and I do plan on watching the rest of the films in the Alien franchise, but this one was definitely a bit of a let down. Expand
OwenMansellJun 19, 2018
The film Alien was directed by Ridley Scott and released in 1979, seeing this film for the first time i went in with an open mind and i definitely wasn't disappointed, it aged well and kept you on the edge of your seat with the amount ofThe film Alien was directed by Ridley Scott and released in 1979, seeing this film for the first time i went in with an open mind and i definitely wasn't disappointed, it aged well and kept you on the edge of your seat with the amount of suspense it gave. This film is really enjoyable and is worth a watch. It would have been a fresh taste in movies for the 70's as there wasn't many science fiction horror films before Alien. A very original and eerie film. Expand