Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 25, 2014
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 1022 Ratings
Watch Now
LowbrowCinemaDec 26, 2014
Telling the true story of American sniper Chris Kyle, AMERICAN SNIPER plods along through four very long tours of duty with no real point. War is not hell here. The opposing forces and people are "savages." The American soldiers brave andTelling the true story of American sniper Chris Kyle, AMERICAN SNIPER plods along through four very long tours of duty with no real point. War is not hell here. The opposing forces and people are "savages." The American soldiers brave and powerful. And yet, despite all this director Clint Eastwood seems to be making a flag waving patriotic American celebration. Or is he? And that's the problem. The film lacks all conviction and becomes just a long bore. If you've seen the absolutely brilliant trailer, you will totally miss the moral dilemma inherent in that 60 seconds. The film which runs over two hours never hits that level. Ultimately, AMERICAN SNIPER feels like a tepid remake of THE HURT LOCKER. Expand
ProteusDec 26, 2014
"I like war" and "I love killing bad guys" are 2 Chris Kyle quotes I will remember. The movie provides a decent insight into the guy but fails to provide any ethical reasons for killing hundreds of people during war. Kyle gets major credit"I like war" and "I love killing bad guys" are 2 Chris Kyle quotes I will remember. The movie provides a decent insight into the guy but fails to provide any ethical reasons for killing hundreds of people during war. Kyle gets major credit for doing his job well and gets zero credit for asking whether the job needed to be done. Expand
19 of 36 users found this helpful1917
listenerDec 30, 2014
Bad guys are bad guys and killing bad guys is not a bad thing...if only truth is that simple.Solidly directed by occasionally brilliant Clint Eastwood and well acted biopic but also piece of work that cowardly avoids to adress any of its ownBad guys are bad guys and killing bad guys is not a bad thing...if only truth is that simple.Solidly directed by occasionally brilliant Clint Eastwood and well acted biopic but also piece of work that cowardly avoids to adress any of its own burning ethical questions ending like being not much more then narrow minded war propaganda. Expand
20 of 40 users found this helpful2020
killing4bloodJul 1, 2015
It just feels to me that the movie should of been better. A lot of the times it was so slow and it was kinda long. But the best part was at the end I liked what they did there.
heathermFeb 3, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While this movie undoubtedly has good, dramatic moments, overall it's a superficial treatment of a complex subject. One comedian on the Nightly Show described it as "duck hunt but with Iraqis", and that wasn't an unfair assessment. Even in the rare moments that interaction occurs between the American forces and the people they're invading, the Iraqis invariably turn out to be trying to kill the Americans, a simplistic and uninteresting way to portray them, since the Americans are the only good guys. The enemy sniper, who is intended to be the foil and rival to the American Chris Kyle, is nothing more than a cardboard cutout of a cartoonish villain, complete with long eyelashes and a headscarf. Especially since our protagonist never entertained any doubts about the essential goodness of what he was doing in Iraq, it felt like a simplified and one-sided story about the war. Expand
OpinionatedGuyFeb 4, 2015
I tried my very best to review this movie without putting in my political opinions. But I have to say something about this movie.

This movie is a war propaganda movie. If you think showing dead bodies with blood and having one character against war itself is considered enough an anti-war movie, then I am afraid you’re wrong. I believe that the director of the movie Clint Eastwood is an anti-war person despite being a Republican and he tries to deliver his anti-war message to the audience. But when the message is lost in the audience and instead encourages more war and Islamphobia, then I am afraid his so-called anti-war message is not delivered clearly.

Speaking of Clint Eastwood, his direction in this movie is okay. I have seen far better directing on war movies.

The characters in the movie are utterly unlikable and uninteresting. The main character Chris Kyle is really hard to sympathize and relate to especially that the Chris Kyle in real life turns out to be a huge dick. Despite that, Bradley Cooper delivers a really good performance that it’s almost uncanny to the real Chris Kyle.

Not all movies based on a real person has to be accurate but when this movie made Chris Kyle a hero with little to no flaws when he is a huge dick in real life like I said earlier, that kind of inaccuracy is unfair and biased.

The only parts I liked about this movie was how Chris Kyle dealt with his PTSD and it felt realistic without being over the top. However I feel like these scenes were underdeveloped and I needed more of him struggling with his PTSD.

Lastly, I don’t think this movie is worthy a Best Picture nomination for this year’s Oscars. It’s just another war movie that brings up nothing new to the table. It’s just overrated in Oscar terms for me.

American Sniper is not a movie for everyone and in my opinion it’s very overrated. I am not stopping you from watching this movie but keep in mind while watching is that this movie has a one-sided depiction of war and the real-life version of Chris Kyle is not a nice human being.
Jetpil0tJan 28, 2015
So this movie is well overrated due to it's subject and story. Nothing here stands out as interesting or original as a film and while everything here is good, it's certainly not great and nowhere near Eastwood's best.

Oscar nominations?

Oscar nominations? Please, we all know what that's about.
firehazard42Feb 19, 2015
I feel sad that this movie is doing well. Not because its a bad movie. I can live with crap making money. What I CAN'T deal with is the crazy patriotism "movement" this movie is somehow bringing up. The movie is both objectively bad and kindI feel sad that this movie is doing well. Not because its a bad movie. I can live with crap making money. What I CAN'T deal with is the crazy patriotism "movement" this movie is somehow bringing up. The movie is both objectively bad and kind of mean-spirited. Because of it's blandness and lack of punch, it seems that most people interpret it as some kind of reassurance. Painting us as the good guys and anyone with a turban on their heads as terrorists. It pains me to think people genuinely believe this movie is about patriotism and righteousness, when it clearly isn't.

To be clear: I don't hate this movie because I'm anti-american. I don't hate it because its an objectively bad film. I don't even hate it because of its lack of patriotism or clear message. I hate it because it allowed people to spill out their blind, hate filled rage at others and still manage to make them seem and feel in the right.
CelticViewJan 25, 2015
An appalling attempt at movie-making. Bradley Cooper is NOT acting in this film - not sure what he doing, but it is not acting, and, he look ridiculous. The story was OK, but it's delivery bordered on the jingoistic.

Worth a watch, but

Worth a watch, but really not that good.
BshopJan 25, 2015
It's difficult to judge what the overall goal was - on one hand, you feel like Chris Kyle is a true hero; the other, it's sad what he went through to get there.
Very well-made with a flash-forward action sequence in the beginning, then a few flash-backs, then back to the "present-day" as it continues along. Very well presented.
I'd say if this movie was released over Christmas time in the large formats, it would have been a slam-dunk for a movie instead of the bland re-hashes out there.
In summary, if you want to examine the physique of a sniper, this movie delves in part to it. The other half however, does not present itself well - is the unexamined life worth living/dyeing?
oDjentoJan 24, 2015
AMERICA. AMERICA. AMERICA SAVED US ALL. This film is just total progaganda: Americans are heroes and true warriors whilst the rest are savages and bad guys and none of them can be trusted. It doesn't even fully cover the post traumatic stressAMERICA. AMERICA. AMERICA SAVED US ALL. This film is just total progaganda: Americans are heroes and true warriors whilst the rest are savages and bad guys and none of them can be trusted. It doesn't even fully cover the post traumatic stress soldiers can end up having, that's just something that's there. Also, Bradley coopers face doesn't look right as a cowboy, completely miscast. However, he still acts fine in the film really! There wasn't any real stand out scenes in this movie either really, and i found the whole back and forth war to home transitions a little forced. Also, the villains they make in the film feel unnecessary and kinda stupid. I'm pretty sure they weren't in the book either and apparently the film just takes a big dump on the source material. The film is still decent enough to watch, but it is so propaganda orientated and a bit dull. I wanted to really see how Chris Kyle evolved. The ending was pretty meh also. I wish they could have honoured the soldier a little better than this film does! Expand
Brent_MarchantJan 17, 2015
A complex character in a complex setting deserves a better vehicle for telling his story than what this overrated, underwhelming and at times simplistic effort has to offer. Despite a solid performance by Bradley Cooper, the picture comes upA complex character in a complex setting deserves a better vehicle for telling his story than what this overrated, underwhelming and at times simplistic effort has to offer. Despite a solid performance by Bradley Cooper, the picture comes up short by focusing on protracted battlefield sequences at the expense of truly meaningful character development. The film misses the mark by giving only cursory attention to the real story here -- a character's struggle to deal with his beliefs in the face of a reality where those ideals are routinely put to the test, as well as the aftermath and recovery from that experience, A major disappointment, especially in light of its six mostly ill-deserved Oscar nominations. Expand
Trev29Jan 9, 2015
The movie succeeds on a technical level, although I can't say I was overly impressed on the whole. While Bradley Cooper nails the role, the mostly boring war sequences consumes too much of the movie.
theofficeFeb 8, 2015
Honestly was not impressed. As a war movie it is too boring with little suspense or good action sequences. As a movie about a soldier's internal struggles it falls a little flat as that doesn't seem to be the main focus. And therein lies myHonestly was not impressed. As a war movie it is too boring with little suspense or good action sequences. As a movie about a soldier's internal struggles it falls a little flat as that doesn't seem to be the main focus. And therein lies my main issue.... the movie tries to do too many things. It tries to be all "Go America!" and at the same time tell about the plight of soldiers going through PTSD, an all to real under-treated issue. You can't do both in a film, or at least Clint Eastwood can't. Ultimately I was unimpressed and a little bored. Yeah it gets sad at the end because we all know what happens and the guy, in real life, seemed like a genuinely good person but the movie really is not that entertaining. Expand
JamesLFeb 5, 2015
The lack of historical accuracy wore down my enjoyment of this film after a couple of days. Eastwood has The right to present any view of the war he wants to. However to imply that Iraq attacked us, do not tell that IRAQ is Sunni, Shia, andThe lack of historical accuracy wore down my enjoyment of this film after a couple of days. Eastwood has The right to present any view of the war he wants to. However to imply that Iraq attacked us, do not tell that IRAQ is Sunni, Shia, and other, to imply to al-Qaeda in Iraq was there from the beginning, to act as if we won the war, the military had few doubts, etc is a disservice to our troops and to our the viewing audience in the long run.I applaud him for show the damage that a bullet to the head will do but to paint the war so simplistically is a major flaw. Did Dick Cheney write the script? No one will remember this revisionist nonsense in a few years. Expand
jjj88Jan 23, 2015
A movie with very little character development or point of view. Forget the moral ambiguity of this stupid war, nobody really changes in this movie. Fake baby, whining 'wife', and war 'buddies' who talk about their personal lives right beforeA movie with very little character development or point of view. Forget the moral ambiguity of this stupid war, nobody really changes in this movie. Fake baby, whining 'wife', and war 'buddies' who talk about their personal lives right before they get shot. Cooper, acts through chewing tobacco (and does quite well with what little he has to work with). Oh yeah, and dark haired 'bad guys'. I'd play Call of Duty before spending money on this movie. Expand
nicholasbertJan 10, 2015
American Sniper has its moments (for me, it was the sandstorm scene), but the film didn't quite take off. Maybe it was the constant back and forth from home to warzone, or the overused "soldier and his wife" drama, or the lack of empathy forAmerican Sniper has its moments (for me, it was the sandstorm scene), but the film didn't quite take off. Maybe it was the constant back and forth from home to warzone, or the overused "soldier and his wife" drama, or the lack of empathy for the protagonist, I don't know. I don't think Bradley Cooper had the right face for his character, even though he acts just fine throughout.

A major lack of detail lets itself known, also: where's the score, where's the cinematography?
thefinnJan 17, 2015
Bradley Cooper made this film somewhat acceptable, however it boils down to another American propaganda piece.

It's a pity there wasn't much point to the film in the end and all the subtext was the usual "America, greatest country in the world" crap.
zedzdedJan 9, 2015
Mediocre... Mildly entertaining, nothing new or very fresh here. A good performance by Bradley Cooper but let's face it, the lead character is fairly one dimensional so that wasn't exactly a stretch.

And I don't feel the direction was

And I don't feel the direction was especially crisp either. However it's clear we are supposed to view Kyle as an all American hero. While his counterpart, the other sniper who does exactly the same job as him is patently a savage.

I read Kyle's book before I saw this movie and I know Eastwood has selectively ignored Kyle's complete psychopathy which was readily apparent from his own words in the book and instead attempted to portray him as an empathetic family man which I never felt from reading Kyle's words. This man loved to kill people, pure and simple. That was his motivation.

Live by the sword, die by the sword... And i could hardly feel any emotion or sympathy for someone who clearly took pleasure from killing others.
soldierhoboJan 25, 2015
I held off writing this review, because of the Oscars and the highly politicized nature of the topic. But, I can wade in now. As a veteran of the Iraq War, I can say the movie was mediocre. The minutiae was right, almost spot on, but theI held off writing this review, because of the Oscars and the highly politicized nature of the topic. But, I can wade in now. As a veteran of the Iraq War, I can say the movie was mediocre. The minutiae was right, almost spot on, but the protagonist was simplistic to the point of idiocy. It does a great job of summing up the experience of a generation. Partying, no care in the world, then 9/11 and an urge to serve. To the streets of Baghdad and the brown desert air.

What it doesn't do a good job is showing any reaction in Kyle. He just is. No reasoning to be a SEAL (Trust me, 3 hours of freezing your balls off will make you quit if don't have a damn good reason). No introspection when he plugs a kid, when his wife pleads with him to come home, or when his teammates die. He just grunts and says "God, Country, Family.." The characters around him are so much more interesting and more deserving of a movie. Kyle is just super-soldier, who grunts at the sign of danger and leads his flock (to an early death most often). He lacks any introspection.

Add the fact that it is pretty one-sided, etc. It just lacks all depth. I just don't get the idea that Kyle was anything more than a simpleton with a gun. I haven't read the book, and with all the stuff that has happened afterwards, I'm not sure I want to. I've met enough Psychopaths and simple minds in the military. I can understand, but I can't condone blanket racism or psychopathic blood lust. But I understand what part of the soul those things arise from. Of course, I believe that most people don't succumb to those things. Kyle seems to be the kind of person who did succumb.

Overall, I'm glad the movie was made. It does at least portray the Forest Gump version of the Iraq War, and start the conversation. It's better to know that those who did not volunteer actively hate you, than to assume they just couldn't run a mile. I'm glad the chicken hawks have a new Rambo to pretend to be on the weekend. Finally, I'm glad that at least America cares again, while somewhere in Afghanistan, heroes are still doing dangerous things while we watch insipid movies. I just hope no one asks me what shooting kids was like after this....
moviegal90Jan 11, 2015
Perhaps its my fault for having high expectations for this film, but the most exciting parts of this whole movie happen during the trailer and during the last 10 minutes of the film. This film was not bad, but this film was not great. BradleyPerhaps its my fault for having high expectations for this film, but the most exciting parts of this whole movie happen during the trailer and during the last 10 minutes of the film. This film was not bad, but this film was not great. Bradley Cooper does his part in the acting and the directing by Clint Eastwood is good as well however this movie really lacks depth. War or anti war that is irrelevant, the fact is that especially the beginning is choppy and awkward. The Scenes of Chris with his wife really lacked credibility for me. I don't necessarily think that it had to do with the acting or the directing but rather the setup and the script. Those scenes did not particularly do anything to make me care about the story line and didn't give any credit to the layers that these individuals have. Expand
imthenoobFeb 23, 2015
Cooper was fantastic and Eastwood did a good job directing. That's all the good I can say about it. The needless drama/sub-plot with his wife adds nothing, The dialogue is almost non-existent and really just filler for the action scenes, TheCooper was fantastic and Eastwood did a good job directing. That's all the good I can say about it. The needless drama/sub-plot with his wife adds nothing, The dialogue is almost non-existent and really just filler for the action scenes, The plot itself goes no where. If it wasn't based on a "true" story, It'd be another generic war based action flick. It's not a bad movie by any means, It's certainly worth renting, but it's no where near as great as it'd made out to be. Expand
I8yourreviewMay 5, 2015
American Sniper has probably been criticized too harshly than it deserves, but then again it did NOT deserve an Oscar nomination either. As a fictional character-focus set withing a war film Eastwood's American Sniper is grade A, albeitAmerican Sniper has probably been criticized too harshly than it deserves, but then again it did NOT deserve an Oscar nomination either. As a fictional character-focus set withing a war film Eastwood's American Sniper is grade A, albeit lowbrow, cinema. However, this is not a fictional tale or at least its not supposed to be. THe Iraq war really happened and the main character Chris Kyle, who's book the film was based, was a real person whom met a tragic and ironic end.

Eastwood's portrayal of Chris Kyle as a saintly soldier who feels at war with himself when home and at home when at war is an overdone and oversimplified amalgamation of every war-hero protagonist of this genre of film. Chris Kyle's actual book and subsequent interviews reveal a much more conflicted, complex and interesting character. Kyle's allegiances, honor and duty stand in contrast and conflict with his biases. Not only does Kyle use slurs to describe Arabs in his book and elsewhere, he also makes no distinctions between combatants and civilians. Instead of exploring this aspect of Kyle and how it informs his experience, Eastwood decides to translates this contradiction in the most condescending of ways--Every Arab in his film is either evil or one dimensional: a psychopath, a corrupt interpreter, a sympathizer with--or combatant for--the enemy.

In the end Eastwood's American Sniper is country-friend propaganda, unapologetic in its revision of the Iraq War as a just war, not to mention a missed opportunity to tell the true story of a conflicted and complex soldier who was both a leader and pawn; hero and villain --someone who was human.
ScribeHardJan 16, 2015
American Sniper is supposed to be a film about “The Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. History,” but once the closing credits rolled (without a score, which is unsettling), I left the theater with knowing only of the things The Legend had done, notAmerican Sniper is supposed to be a film about “The Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. History,” but once the closing credits rolled (without a score, which is unsettling), I left the theater with knowing only of the things The Legend had done, not of the man Chris Kyle was. Expand
RetroheadJan 16, 2015
I read the book, and was aware of his murder within a few hours the day it happened. I had high hopes from viewing the trailer to the movie. Unfortunately Eastwood went for the "Hollywood" version ala Heartbreak Ridge! So many factual errorsI read the book, and was aware of his murder within a few hours the day it happened. I had high hopes from viewing the trailer to the movie. Unfortunately Eastwood went for the "Hollywood" version ala Heartbreak Ridge! So many factual errors in time, weaponry, and most of all tactics. Did he ignore the real deal SEAL consultants? Or did they fail to consult with any?? This movie was "OK" for those who follow that detail! As with "Lone Survivor" this was a good movie! And brought the story to a much wider audience! But it could have been so much better! And why did Eastwood choose to Wussify Kyle's Brother? Just doesn't make sense really! You die hard weapons and Tactics guy's might want to wait for DVD! Expand
XerogamerJan 31, 2015
American sniper is an over glorified American propaganda film. The story of Chris Kyle is a good one, but the film is a poor portrayal of his story. Chris Kyle is presented like a God in the movie, but he is just a man with a gift of killingAmerican sniper is an over glorified American propaganda film. The story of Chris Kyle is a good one, but the film is a poor portrayal of his story. Chris Kyle is presented like a God in the movie, but he is just a man with a gift of killing people. The character development was aweful for every other character that isn't Chris Kyle. In the movie Marines were made out to be expendable, with Chris being the God like figure to teach and protect them. This movie is a means to promote war, rather to disuede it. Expand
ClayMerrittJan 8, 2015
American Sniper -- 2 hours of 'meh'. The movie itself suffered from an identity crisis. Was it trying to be this generations' Full Metal Jacket, a drama film, or a mid-summer action blockbuster? It was annoying. It has more substance to itAmerican Sniper -- 2 hours of 'meh'. The movie itself suffered from an identity crisis. Was it trying to be this generations' Full Metal Jacket, a drama film, or a mid-summer action blockbuster? It was annoying. It has more substance to it than Lone Survivor did, which is what saved it from being a complete mess, in my opinion. I enjoyed some parts, but overall it's one of those films I don't necessarily recommend, but if there's nothing else to see at the theaters, then by all means, watch it. Just not that great. Expand
aGUYtoREMEMBERJan 6, 2015
The Movie was ok, but it is not the like other Clint Eastwood movies. Flags of our fathers and Letters from Iwo jima were beautiful films but this movie is more like the hurt locker. It lacks any real peak is seems to be trying to hard toThe Movie was ok, but it is not the like other Clint Eastwood movies. Flags of our fathers and Letters from Iwo jima were beautiful films but this movie is more like the hurt locker. It lacks any real peak is seems to be trying to hard to make this man feel like a "war god" but it does not develop as well as the other Clint Eastwood films. It is a decent film but not as great a the conservatives are trying to make it out to be Expand
gunnyartJan 15, 2015
Please don't assume by the mediocre score that I am in anyway less than thrilled that they made this movie. In fact the most likely explanation for my low score was the incredibly high expectations I had for it and my anxious anticipation toPlease don't assume by the mediocre score that I am in anyway less than thrilled that they made this movie. In fact the most likely explanation for my low score was the incredibly high expectations I had for it and my anxious anticipation to be rewarded with a visual representation of the book that I loved so much.
For starters I am navy combat veteran though I never came under enemy fire, much less experienced anything remotely reminiscent of what CK underwent. I have read the book a couple times and the thing that gets me about the book is how much (in spite of our very different experiences) I related to his experience and to him personally. I didn't get that with the movie. The impossible task of adapting an autobiography for film is the inability to capture the voice in the authors head. I also was distracted by Bradley Cooper as CK which isn't any fault of Mr. Cooper's other than being a familiar face. Time constraints obviously meant that large swaths of the story had to be cut, but I would have preferred tackling fewer accounts but developing them completely. Chris Kyle was far to complex a man to have his life told in cliff note form. I also was distracted by some Hollywood bad habits as pertains to gun play but nobody but a nerd like me cares about that stuff.
I was so invested in this being good that I had nowhere to go but down.
My favorite part of the film was the news footage at the very end. That could have easily been a mini documentary in it's own right I would have stayed an extra hour to watch.
I guess to sum up I anticipated getting emotional during the film but it wasn't until the credits that I shed a tear.
Movi3R3vi3werJan 19, 2015
American Sniper for the most part is a fine movie. Bradley Cooper is very good in the role of Chris Kyle and does have some nicely directed war sequences. But it suffers from rushed pacing, uninteresting characters and worst of all: Is veryAmerican Sniper for the most part is a fine movie. Bradley Cooper is very good in the role of Chris Kyle and does have some nicely directed war sequences. But it suffers from rushed pacing, uninteresting characters and worst of all: Is very black and white about a flawed man. Expand
manofthemoonJan 12, 2015
Highly sanitized version of Chris Kyle's book, Eastwood's film is without the grey areas that make great war films and in a post "Black Hawk Down" or "The Hurt Locker" world, "American Sniper" looks plainly shot and doesn't engage, neverHighly sanitized version of Chris Kyle's book, Eastwood's film is without the grey areas that make great war films and in a post "Black Hawk Down" or "The Hurt Locker" world, "American Sniper" looks plainly shot and doesn't engage, never creating the sense of threat in the war scenes or reality on the domestic front. It's a film that wants to be worthy and another that keeps pushing Cooper during awards season. For fans of patriotic, non threatening war films only. Expand
ahnehnoisJan 8, 2015
My conclusion after watching this is that this is probably exactly the movie Chris Kyle would have made about himself. It has some real strengths because of that, but also some profound weaknesses.

I thought it portrayed the nature of

I thought it portrayed the nature of modern battle and the Iraq environs reasonably well (not having any first hand experience or anything). It was tense at times, but also a long grind, and that is true to form. Some of the moments where soldiers get shot or are in the hospital afterwards are effective and feel real (and that I do have secondhand experience with).

The movie's flaws are two. The first is the inevitable Hollywood-ization. Not being sure when I watched it, I checked, and the notion that he had a "white whale" enemy sniper that haunted him throughout four tours and that he had to kill to feel complete as a soldier is made up. Some of the romance is treacly, the training scenes are trite, and the jeopardy (while there surely was a lot in real life) is trumped up at times.

The second and more profound one is that the film reflects what seems to be the bias of the autobiographer himself. His motivations are always pure. The bad guys are always bad. Every shot he takes is a good shot. His leadership, his fathering skills, and his relationships with other soldiers bring nothing but positive reactions. He struggles, but he's always the good guy. I don't doubt that the truth is that he did some good things, but I can't imagine that it's that simple, and reading into what is known about the man suggests that he wasn't entirely honest (and indeed was sued successfully for lying in his book; the movie doesn't cover that) and he bought completely into the narrative the film presents-the idea that Iraq was a justified response to 9/11 and that the war was for a reason-which we now know is a lie and lead to a disastrous conflict that was mismanaged at every turn and accomplished nothing.

Which takes me back to the beginning: American Sniper is likely exactly what its subject character wanted to say-the sheep/wolf/sheepdog story at the beginning seems so sum his philosophy all up-and in a way it's good that his perspective is being represented. Certainly our veterans deserve a voice in public discourse. But honestly, I'm not sure about what this particular voice is saying. Watch it, and decide for yourself.
ApolscJan 25, 2015
2015 Best trailer all the way. The movie? well i ve seen "the very bad guy" ruin movies like The Untouchables & here he does it again. When you have a solid true story you dont add a Batman kind of enemy because it become obvious that you added it.
NerdConsultantJul 8, 2015
American Sniper when you look at it purely as movie is pretty good but it needed a more of a focus and needed to be more morally grey. it had some incredibly intensive moments and some really great scenes about PTSD which are some of the onlyAmerican Sniper when you look at it purely as movie is pretty good but it needed a more of a focus and needed to be more morally grey. it had some incredibly intensive moments and some really great scenes about PTSD which are some of the only things that stop me calling this a propaganda movie but a few bits of the dialogue takes you out of it and there was a lot of wasted cast members as well as the film really struggling to decide what it wants to be. I can't help but believe that the film would have been better if Spielberg had directed instead of Clint Eastwood. Bradley Cooper is excellent and rightfully received his oscar nomination and i would recommend with caution Expand
csw12Jan 8, 2015
American Sniper provides some intense war scenes and a great performance from Bradley Cooper but I've seen better from Eastwood. The movie trudges along for 2 hours without ever giving real look at how deeply traumatized the man was. What itAmerican Sniper provides some intense war scenes and a great performance from Bradley Cooper but I've seen better from Eastwood. The movie trudges along for 2 hours without ever giving real look at how deeply traumatized the man was. What it also needed was a score to make the overall movie go from above average to something special. Expand
googolendtimesJan 26, 2015
A politically divisive film with somewhat of a muddled moral message about the Iraq War, "American Sniper" is nonetheless mesmerising filmmaking and a haunting elegy to heroism, propelled by a sombre and gripping performance by Bradley Cooper.
pedvieFeb 1, 2015
I'll admit I didn't particularly like this move. It felt choppy with production some spotty quality at points - although most times it was good. The principle actors put in fine performances - which is a testament to direction. The dialogI'll admit I didn't particularly like this move. It felt choppy with production some spotty quality at points - although most times it was good. The principle actors put in fine performances - which is a testament to direction. The dialog was pretty typical. Still can't get over the un-menacing do-rag'd appearance of the ultimate enemy constantly disappearing into the dusty background.

Overall, I think it's worth a look though. It had a lot of patriotic themes, but by no means does it glorify war or killing. Many of the characters are conflicted over their actions. Having said that, all this nasty guttersnipe directed at the memory of Chris Kyle is horsesh*t. And kudos to Mr. Eastwood for having the courage to make a move which honestly portrays some of the aftermath our soldiers deal with. You can be liberal and/or anti-war but still respect the service and sacrifice of our brave men and women!
JJonahJohnsonJan 12, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An okay film that could have been great. But based on the source material, I'm surprised it was even okay.

It's an action movie with something to say. It's also a drama with barely anything to say at all. Cooper pulls off an impeccable performance as Chris Kyle, which cements the young actor as one of the most consistent working today. His work doesn't save this film however.

Chris's actions, as a character, seem to be morally ambiguous, but what worries me is all of the Kyle fans that will go see this movie. Will they interpret everything Kyle says as morally distinguishable fact? Or will they see him as a character, and judge some of his beliefs as wrong? Eastwood seems to display some of Kyle's radical beliefs towards Muslims as a people without contradiction.

The technical aspects of the film were almost perfect. But some foolish choices when it comes to some of the writing decisions, such as trying to turn what could have been a polarizing thought-provoking character into an easy to relate to southern family man with a big heart, the story suffered.

If you want to go into the effects of war on the psyche and conscious, don't make it seem as an entire race of people is expendable and can be blown away without consequence or a second thought. There was a chance in this film where a Muslim family "hosts" soldiers for dinner. The family is later revealed to have evil intentions. It's missed opportunities to make a solid point that is ditched in order for a more simple, redundant point that make this film simply okay.
Bruce722Jan 18, 2015
American Sniper is yet another example of why more stories should be told through a medium more akin to an HBO miniseries, similar to John Adams or Bands of Brothers. By trying to force Chris Kyle's incredible life story into a 2+ hourAmerican Sniper is yet another example of why more stories should be told through a medium more akin to an HBO miniseries, similar to John Adams or Bands of Brothers. By trying to force Chris Kyle's incredible life story into a 2+ hour traditional film format, the story did little to no justice on Kyle's impressive accomplishments, both militarily and as a man. The result was a very jumpy and shallow viewing experience where you didn't feel a connection to Kyle's SEAL teammates or his wife, Taya. The actors, namely Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller, did the best job they possibly could've done with the script they were given. The script was the best it could've been when trying to fit into the cliched 2-hour time slot. But it all comes back to the decision to make this into a movie. It just wasn't possible. There were also some directorial decisions that I found highly questionable but they weren't major nor were they things most people would either pick up on or care about. Ultimately, this review should end on a high note though, so I will point out the strongest element of the film: the ending. The closing 10+ minutes are incredibly moving and deliver, what I believe was the entire purpose of the film itself. They leave you in awe of the man, the myth, the legend. The decision to leave the remaining credits without audio was also a genius decision. I've never left a theater and felt like I was leaving a funeral. I believe that is the appropriate feeling that this movie should portray and I commend Clint Eastwood for making that so. Expand
thepunisher65Jun 6, 2015
American Sniper is captivating, but not all the way. The faulty story will entertain the viewers but it certainly is not among the most powerfully directed by Clint Eastwood.
dinojay2May 22, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thought this was actually pretty good and relatively thought-provoking for a war movie, at least up until the cheesy made-for-Hollywood ending. Suddenly, everything is fine! Expand
joeyriosMar 30, 2015
It exceeds on many levels: The graphic portrayal and high risings of stress and desperation during war, the sound editing and mixing, and Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller's unbelievable performances.
It fails on many levels: I feel the movie
It fails on many levels: I feel the movie achieved the purpose it was not made for in the first place. The storytelling is sometimes tedious and its ending is too abrupt.
Definitely not worth the Best Picture nomination it received, but still, it can be a good time at the movies.
caleblewis94Jan 20, 2015
This may be a war movie, but it is far from generic. American Sniper is a film about war; however, unlike most other war movies this film is also a film about how war stays with a soldier when they come home. This film does a great job ofThis may be a war movie, but it is far from generic. American Sniper is a film about war; however, unlike most other war movies this film is also a film about how war stays with a soldier when they come home. This film does a great job of portraying the horrors of PTSD, a disease that many soldiers suffer from. The downside to this film though is the director, Clint Eastwood. During some scenes it seemed as if Clint Eastwood was trying to depict all people living in that area as "Savages". In the world we are living in, there is a lot of bigotry and xenophobia around the world especially in America. But through and through this is a good movie and is worth your time to watch. Just bear in mind that the terrorists depicted in the movie are only a small percentage of people living in the middle east and is not a representation of the civilians living over there. Expand
ZawMineMay 11, 2015
American Sniper is a good movie but not great. When I first saw the movie trailer, I got a lot of hype because it is such an amazing trailer. When I watched it, I didn't like it that much. Kinda boring. That doesn't mean that the movie is notAmerican Sniper is a good movie but not great. When I first saw the movie trailer, I got a lot of hype because it is such an amazing trailer. When I watched it, I didn't like it that much. Kinda boring. That doesn't mean that the movie is not good. It has some intense nail-biting scenes. Overall, it is a good movie. Expand
goudamandoJun 1, 2015
I wonder how can you make movie as this, but I think that maybe to honor that sniper, but
Telling the true story of American sniper Chris Kyle, American Sniper plods along through four very long tours of duty with no real point. War is not hell here. The opposing forces and people are "savages." The American soldiers brave and powerful. And yet, despite all this director Clint Eastwood seems to be making a flag waving patriotic American celebration. Or is he? And that's the problem. The film lacks all conviction and becomes just a long bore. If you've seen the absolutely brilliant trailer, you will totally miss the moral dilemma inherent in that 60 seconds. The film which runs over two hours never hits that level.
annapatweex31Sep 11, 2015
Very well done movie, but a little bit off on things. Still worth the watch.

Watch here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2756355-American-Sniper-online-free
praticaljockersNov 20, 2015
it was so sad and to violent for younger viewers like babies and little kids the kids should never see this movie until they are older and are teens or adults.
SpangleMar 18, 2015
American Sniper is a solid film that has many, many faults, but has strengths that help it to overcome those faults. On the plus side, Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller are really good and work very well together. They make for a veryAmerican Sniper is a solid film that has many, many faults, but has strengths that help it to overcome those faults. On the plus side, Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller are really good and work very well together. They make for a very believable couple. In terms of Cooper alone, he certainly embodies Chris Kyle and just kills the part. He is fantastic. I really dug the fighting scenes as well. I thought they were all very well done and well shot. Dramatic, entertaining, and saddening, they all made a lasting impact that makes any scenes with PTSD very believable. The supporting cast was also relatively well done. You did feel that sense of brotherhood amongst the Navy Seals that made you understand the passion they felt for defending their fellow soldiers.

On the negative, I can see why many would call this pro-war and pro-America. A couple times for sure, this one portrayed the Americans as superheroes of sort who are indestructible, while casually overlooking the fact that they were all as blood thirsty as their enemy. They demonize an enemy sniper when Chris Kyle is literally the same guy, but he's an American so it's all cool. It is kind of weird, but is to be expected from a book written by Kyle himself. The pro-war aspect is undoubtedly entirely a Kyle contribution, due to how psychotic he was and how much he loved killing. While it does add in some guys struggling with PTSD and of course people who die or who are seriously wounded, the sheer joy Kyle gets from war is obvious. I would categorize this one all the same as anti-war, however, because of those aforementioned supporting characters who seem far more human and far more willing to show how war effects them. In Kyle's relationship with his wife, you can also see a lot of the anti-war element.

Overall, American Sniper is a solid war film that comes nowhere close to being as good as war films such as The Deer Hunter, Full Metal Jacket, and Saving Private Ryan, that deal with similar topics (obviously) and do so much, much better. However, it is acceptable and a good modern day war film, as the genre has been slacking of late.
diogomendesJun 17, 2015
Well acted and directed, but poorly paced and massively dull, "American Sniper" isn't propaganda like most people would led you to believe, but it's still a rather mediocre Clint Eastwood's offering, one that wastes its tension setup with aWell acted and directed, but poorly paced and massively dull, "American Sniper" isn't propaganda like most people would led you to believe, but it's still a rather mediocre Clint Eastwood's offering, one that wastes its tension setup with a main character that's not true to its based-in-real-life story. Expand
avr50Jun 21, 2017
The movie could be just ok, but the characters don´t mean anything to you. What I want to say is that i didn´t care for any of this characters, I was more interested in the photography and scenarios, the characters may die or not and to meThe movie could be just ok, but the characters don´t mean anything to you. What I want to say is that i didn´t care for any of this characters, I was more interested in the photography and scenarios, the characters may die or not and to me will be like nothing happened. The story is not as good to be a movie of 2 hours and 12 minutes. It´s strange to think that this movie was nomitaded at the oscars for best picture, maybe the voters just felt the "american proud ,powerful and invencible" fever that is present in the entire movie Expand
JLuis_001Sep 6, 2017
Bradley Cooper gave a great performance but in the end this is films is just an exaltation of the US army and the war machine.

Or in simple words: Propaganda.