Vitagraph Films | Release Date: October 14, 2016
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 83 Ratings
Watch Now
alexdamacenoOct 17, 2016
Here in Brazil we're used to separate "movies" from "Brazilian movies" - because of our ongoing struggle with low quality productions and all its cliches. In most cases, the comedies are often silly and an extension of our unfunny TVHere in Brazil we're used to separate "movies" from "Brazilian movies" - because of our ongoing struggle with low quality productions and all its cliches. In most cases, the comedies are often silly and an extension of our unfunny TV productions. And dramas usually portrays either violence at the favelas or some sad, also violent story, taking place at a very poor part of our northeast area.

"Aquarius" throws away all these cliches and it's just a great movie, period. Not a great Brazilian movie, but a great universal movie, telling a very compelling story about our society as a whole, with all its characteristics and, mostly, its flaws. And in its core it's a story about how part of our elite usually behaves and how the other part (who doesn't care about being elite) reacts.
MARCIOTREOct 14, 2016
An experience! Nothing in this movie must be forgotten: narrative, soundtrack and, of course, Sonia Braga. It is my best movie this year. So far. WOW!!
GFactorOct 20, 2016
Infelizmente um dos melhores filmes do ano que será injustiçado e não concorrerá ao Oscar por motivos políticos, muito triste! Sônia Braga prova mais uma vez seu poder como atriz! Elenco, roteiro, fotografia e direção, impecável!
VGabrielAug 7, 2017
Aquarius é um daqueles filmes que levam a pensar sobre o presente. Sonia Braga é esplêndida. Não há trilha sonora original, porém é exatamente esse o foco do filme, se abraçar na MPB brasileira e descrever as cenas com riquíssimos detalhes. ÉAquarius é um daqueles filmes que levam a pensar sobre o presente. Sonia Braga é esplêndida. Não há trilha sonora original, porém é exatamente esse o foco do filme, se abraçar na MPB brasileira e descrever as cenas com riquíssimos detalhes. É um filme inesquecível. Expand
VGabrielLMSep 26, 2017
Sonia Braga é a alma desse filme, merecia um Oscar viu academia cotada. Felizmente rainha vai dominar tudo ai nos estrangeiro, Sonia Braga meu amor, aceitem,. Buy Joanne on iTunes!
GreatMartinNov 4, 2016
"Aquarius" is a slow moving 2 hour and 22 minute movie that would have been a very interesting hour and 45 minute movie. Director, and screenplay writer, Kleber Mendonca Filho puts in too many unnecessary scenes that add nothing to the film"Aquarius" is a slow moving 2 hour and 22 minute movie that would have been a very interesting hour and 45 minute movie. Director, and screenplay writer, Kleber Mendonca Filho puts in too many unnecessary scenes that add nothing to the film or plot except to tell us more than we need to know about Clara, who is at the center of the film. There is a scene at a cemetery, another of Clara's grandbaby running around nude and still another of a couple having sex on a beach not to forget an explicit orgy scene.

The story is basically of Clara who is the last tenet who owns an apartment in a building that a developer wants to tear down and make a tower of condos. She is comfortable with her life and has no desire to sell, move, uproot the life she has. We learn about Clara's daily life whether going for a swim every morning at the beach across the street, her battle with cancer that has left her scarred, he daughter recently divorced, one son who is gay and another son who is the father of her favorite grandson, having a night out with girlfriends, a possible romantic encounter that doesn't work out, a 'escort' that does plus her work as a music journalist writing books along with relatives and friends from the past and present. At the same time there is the story of the developer and his grandson trying at first to buy her out and then taking other methods.

Along the way there are discussions about how skin color affects lives in Brazil, where the picture takes place, as society gets into business and education can make a man's grandson think he the smartest one of making decisions to move things along. There are the children who who think the mother is making a selfish decision in not selling the house and her housekeeper/friend who lost her son a year before. And folks we haven't even touched upon the lifeguard, the church group and things going on inside and out side the building and Clara's apartment.

What makes "Aquaruis" special, a film to watch, is the performance by Sonia Braga who lets you know everything about the woman by the way she walks, talks, treats others, dresses, laughs, deals with problems, listens to music and shows love to family, friends and life. Braga defines the camera falling in love with a face.

Watching "Aquarius" I wished there was a fast forward button if for no other reason than to get past the cemetery scene and the three others mentioned in the first paragraph.
TVJerryOct 24, 2016
This is a showcase for Sonia Braga. She plays a widow who staunchly goes thru life with family and friends (and some flashbacks). She's the last resident of her building and won't sell to the owners, who want to replace it with a luxuryThis is a showcase for Sonia Braga. She plays a widow who staunchly goes thru life with family and friends (and some flashbacks). She's the last resident of her building and won't sell to the owners, who want to replace it with a luxury residence. Her refusal serves as the conflict around which her daily life takes place. There are lots of little moments, quiet observations and an ambiguous ending, typical of foreign cinema. Braga is wonderful to watch, which is good since this film is more about character than plot. In subtitles. Expand
DudleiOct 21, 2016
"Aquarius" is one of those masterpieces that, weeks after you have seen the movie, still haunts you. Every little detail in the movie is so well built and important. Nothing is useless here.
LeZeeNov 4, 2017
Home is where all the memories preserved.

Home is where all the memories preserved.

I have to start the review by mentioning the recent year Russian film 'Durak', also known as 'The Fool' in English. In the same year, another similar themed Russian film, 'Leviathan' got nominated for the Oscars. What those both films highlighted were not just the corruptions, but the threats the common people face. Raising voice for good against evil is still a distant for such potential country. Here comes the Brazilian version. This is not on the same level. I meant the intensity of the event, how all folds. Nevertheless, the same core issue in a different continent.

This film met with several controversies. One of them omitted it from the Oscars race. But the film was received well from all the quarters. I did not find any issue. I thought it became unfortunate victim, especially, could be because of the developers and their connection with the corrupt powerful men. It's neither a masterpiece. I just consider it a good film. A message film. But not for everyone. Particularly, it is good for grownups viewing for the reason I'll going mention later.

The story of the 65 year old Clara. Her life has been successful being a music critic. Now a widow, and all her children settled down. It opened on her birthday where all the friends and family gathered to celebrate the occasion. Living alone in a small and beautiful beach view apartment. But the thing is she's the last one who still in that old building. Everyone had left it when the developers decided to demolish it and build a modern one. She's fighting to save the heritage. All her memories lie in there. But the developers have a different plan to force her out, and that's the remaining film to unfold how and other following developments.

❝So when you like it, it's 'vintage'. If you don't like it, it's 'old'. Right?❞

The opening scene was a slight offbeat. Because right away it does not reveal who is the person of the film. Besides, some of the odd scenes in the middle would raise some eyebrows. Those were not actually the full fledged scenes, but glimpses that goes back to like the 70s or something. The idea of those parts were not properly understandable, but I think it is about missing those good times. The lone fighter concept was inspiring. At one point, when everybody around her thought that she's making an unnecessary scene out of it, she was firm on her decision and did what has to be done.

This was one of those films I did not like it on the spot. But slowly captivated. Once it's focus was fixed on one particular character, the rest of the tale set forward on what it wanted to tell us. As I understood it, it was not exactly about corruption, except a part of it was. It was the fight for ones right. A fight to save the past. On the other hand, the people from her opposite are ready to take extreme steps to defeat her. That's where it gets into the controversy. The controversy of those stupid tricks used to achieve the goal. This kind of a film coming from Brasil is really wonderful to educate poor knowledge people who easily become victims in a similar fashion.

It was a French-Brasil collaboration film. I'm reviewing it after a couple of days of my watch. Because I wanted to think about it for a while, scene by scene. The more I recall, the more I'm starting to like it. So I advise same to you as well that don't come to any conclusion just after you have watched. Because it could not be what you have heard about it. My only issue was the runtime. The 150 minutes were a too long. But manageable if you watch regularly, such slow films.

Well written, directed and acted. Even the location was ideal. But they could have avoided the those sex scenes which I earlier labelled them as odd scenes. There were too many, even camera pans out from somewhere far away in the bush. Kind of unrelated. I am not against such an idea, as human daily life filled with those. But when the theme was seriously pivoting on a serious issue, these came as distraction. Why I'm pointing out that strongly is that a fine film like this should be for all ages, even for teenagers. It missed that opportunity. Otherwise and still a nice drama film to recommend the adults.

AndremaxJul 10, 2018
Perhaps one of the best brazilian movies of all time. The direction, the actors, the art, all in this movie is amazing. Sometimes it makes us think that's not a brazilian movie. Incrível.
Paulo_JorgeNov 5, 2016
Another masterpiece from Mendonça, such a great director. With this one, Sonia Braga gives her best, an outstanding performance in any standards. Mendonça has his original style of enriching any character, showing her personal life, herAnother masterpiece from Mendonça, such a great director. With this one, Sonia Braga gives her best, an outstanding performance in any standards. Mendonça has his original style of enriching any character, showing her personal life, her family, her fears and her desires, a build up that adds to the spectacular finish of this piece. I'm really happy to see Brazil's cinema showing up again with some great potential and some great work, well done Mendonça. Expand
KaptenVideoApr 9, 2017
In two days, I have managed to see three movies about getting or being old in a row – „Going in Style“, „Aftermath“ and now "Aquarius". Is the universe trying to tell me something?
Anyway, „Aquarius“ is the only good one of the bunch. It’s
Anyway, „Aquarius“ is the only good one of the bunch. It’s maybe half an hour too long and slows almost to standstill at times, so I won’t give it a higher score. But for movie lovers, it’s worth the time.
The story is about Clara (Sonja Braga), the last resident in the old upper-class apartment house that the property company can’t wait to take down. The 65 year old woman has pledged to only leave the place upon her death, and will engage in a cold war of sorts with the company.
On deeper level, it’s about having lost the purpose in life, which doesn’t really depend on number of people or friends and family surrounding you, and how bad things can bring motivation to continue fighting.
In some improtant ways, "Aquarius" is similar to this popular French movie „Elle“, both released in 2016 and premieried in Cannes Film Festival.
Both are about strong female character getting kind of old but still ready to continue fighting after bad things happen, and deal with extended family around her. "Elle" has Isabelle Huppert in the lead, "Aquarius" has Sonja Braga.
Both are also worthy movies in their own right, although could win from being a bit shorter. But in comparision, "Elle" is flashier and offers more quick excitement, whereas "Aquarius" feels like its artsy sister.
Screenwriter and director Kleber Mendonça Filho has chosen as non-flashiest approach to storytelling as possible. This works both for the movie’s favor, or against it, depending on the taste of viewer.
The characters, events and relationships are so real-life-like that it can alienate many viewers who will claim that „it’s boring“, „nothing is happening“, or something along these lines. The others will, vice versa, applaud the sharpness Filho has achieved in portraying people and relationships as they would really be in life. It’s an art in itself, really.
Just like in „Elle“, the central character and leading lady’s portrayal of her gives the viewer constant joy and is easily the noteworthiest thing in the whole result (which, of course, was the goal).
Sonja Braga amazes with her subtle but powerful acting especially in Clara’s moments of great stress such as troubles with children, or when things with property company turn nastier.
I’m not very good at describing exactly how well Braga has played out all the different shades and aspects of the woman's personality – from healthy pride that rises from knowing your worth and place in life to inflexible stubbornness, from being dead inside to still discovering lust for life in some ways. But I assure you that it’s a classy work from the thespian clearly on top of her game.
Sadly, „Aquarius“ did not turn out to be Brazil's submission for the 2017's foreign-language Oscar race, so it may not win more international attention than it already has. But it may be worth your time if you don't mind spending time on getting to know the people on screen.
„Aquarius“ is not compact enough to get easy recommendation – honestly, you will test your endurance at times – but all in all, I quite liked it. Easy to like a story centred on such a strong and intelligent female character, or actress as Sonja Braga.
lucaspiccoliMar 23, 2017
A masterpiece, one of the bests movies of 2016. Not only Brazil but the world is now watching Kleber Mendonca develop as an incredible director, best wishes for him. Sonia Braga is absolutely brilliant also. A lot of Hitchcock glimpses inA masterpiece, one of the bests movies of 2016. Not only Brazil but the world is now watching Kleber Mendonca develop as an incredible director, best wishes for him. Sonia Braga is absolutely brilliant also. A lot of Hitchcock glimpses in this movie, those old school cinema lovers will adore it. Expand
wevertonaguiiarMay 22, 2018
Aquarius é um filme sobre resistência. Um filme lírico, que acompanha uma personagem que uma deformidade em um dos seios, mas isso não há impede de ser perfeita; não há impede de resistir. Tudo no filme tem uma história, e a personagem seAquarius é um filme sobre resistência. Um filme lírico, que acompanha uma personagem que uma deformidade em um dos seios, mas isso não há impede de ser perfeita; não há impede de resistir. Tudo no filme tem uma história, e a personagem se nega à deixa que estas histórias sejam desfeitas. Uma direção sensível e um elenco incrível, Aquarius é um dos melhores filmes já feitos. É uma pena que tenha sido boicotado por motivos políticos.. tiraram de nós, a chance de conquistar o nosso primeiro Oscar. Expand