Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: July 1, 1998
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 289 Ratings
Watch Now
grandpajoe6191Sep 18, 2011
You know those original blockbuster movies that have limitless fun and amazing scenes? Well, the space blockbuster "Armaggedon" is on the top list for the category.
lucidanarchyMay 27, 2012
I loved this movie and think it deserves a much higher rating. It is one of my favourite movies of all time, and his everything in it that appeals to my taste of entertainment.
DreH.Jun 25, 2009
This movie is not bad, but not for everyone. Its an exciting thrill ride.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
IanM197Aug 18, 2010
While Armageddon does suffer from a 'been there, done that' quality, it's still an exciting and twisting adventure with characters you'll actually care about. From the you know what the movie's going to be like; the main heroes will be goingWhile Armageddon does suffer from a 'been there, done that' quality, it's still an exciting and twisting adventure with characters you'll actually care about. From the you know what the movie's going to be like; the main heroes will be going through the ups and downs of their journey to save Earth from total annihilation while communicating with the government and arbitrary love interests back home. While it never really picks up until the final few moments of the movie, the plot is good enough to hold the movie and the acting is decent. The CG is also very good for it's time and really gives the scenes in space some pop, especially if viewed on Blu-Ray. It definitely isn't for everyone, and you've seen most of what's here before, but if you want a good popcorn flick this movie wouldn't be the worst choice you could make either. Expand
SchroederRockOct 15, 2015
You have to push through the softer plot and be willing to go for a roller coaster ride to enjoy Armageddon. For its time, this movie was outstanding when you consider the visual effects from 1998. The cast is excellent and the tension isYou have to push through the softer plot and be willing to go for a roller coaster ride to enjoy Armageddon. For its time, this movie was outstanding when you consider the visual effects from 1998. The cast is excellent and the tension is high or near-high the entire duration of the film. Not everyone can love this film, and that's fine, but for me Armageddon was a summer flick that was years ahead of its time and still stands as a decent end-of-the-world action thriller. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 24, 2010
screw the critics. go see this movie. it is that awesome!
asylumspadezNov 20, 2011
It was actually rather good, A little unrealistic but it wouldnt be a Michael Bay film if it wasnt. Acting was ok for the most part, A few people I didnt really enjoy on screen. Far too long and really could and should have been shortenedIt was actually rather good, A little unrealistic but it wouldnt be a Michael Bay film if it wasnt. Acting was ok for the most part, A few people I didnt really enjoy on screen. Far too long and really could and should have been shortened quite a bit to make for a better film. If you can over look the obvious flaws, Its not that bad. Expand
csw12Sep 1, 2012
This is a pretty decent film with some great action scenes. the acting is a little sub par but by Michael bay standards it was very good. I really enjoyed it for what it was.
SpangleSep 8, 2016
For a long time, I put off watching Armageddon because I always anticipated it being an overlong, dumb, explosion fest courtesy of Michael Bay. However, the fact that it is a part of the Criterion Collection gave me significant cognitiveFor a long time, I put off watching Armageddon because I always anticipated it being an overlong, dumb, explosion fest courtesy of Michael Bay. However, the fact that it is a part of the Criterion Collection gave me significant cognitive dissonance. After watching it, Armageddon is unabashedly stupid and if films such as Top Gun, Days of Thunder, and Independence Day, did not exist, I would call it the stupidest film of all-time. Yet, just as with those films, I am unashamed supporter of Armageddon. It may be dumb, but it is a film about human perseverance in times of turmoil and has a heart that is proudly wears on its sleeve.

Though I would be hard pressed to call the acting good, it is never anything worse than average, which is just fine for the perfect example of when the Hollywood machine can churn out a film with a strong directorial vision courtesy of Michael Bay that showcases all that he does right. While it is dumb and loud, Bay's ability to create emotion, thrills, and tension never shines through better than in this film and he, unlike in other endeavors, gets overly side tracked by bad jokes or dumb plots. Instead, he stays honed in on what matters and, even better, the jokes delivered by Steve Buscemi from beginning to end all hit. In fact, they may be one of the best parts of the film.

As with Independence Day, it is hard not be in awe of this film at times. A glorious piece of 1990s cheesy action, Armageddon is filled with impactful one liners that give you chills, action set pieces that thrill, and an uncanny ability to make me fight back tears while watching a film about exploding an asteroid by drilling a hole into it. The tender scenes between Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler, the interactions between Tyler and Bruce Willis, as well as those between Willis and Affleck are all heart breaking put together. Beautifully shot, orchestrated, and written, these particular character interactions stand out in a film that knows how to write camaraderie between its character, especially the drillers.

While its action is obvious, the writing is really what elevates this. The plot may be dumb, but what is not dumb about Armageddon is its ability to create human characters with heart, passion, fears, and shortcomings. The development of their relationships and backgrounds is very impressive for a film of this type. This writing is what got it included in the Criterion Collection and it is not undeserved. The plot may be silly, but those behind the script knew what they were doing and knew how to write an action film. Plot be damned, Armageddon packs an emotional punch while Bay manages to expertly give weight and balance the romance, passion, and action in one deliciously put together spectacle.

Armageddon may be one of the dumbest movies ever in terms of plot, but its writing and willingness to explore the bonds between father-daughter and grown men is an impressive feat for a blockbuster of this type. Color me surprised that this Michael Bay-led disaster was anything but a misguided attempt to entertain teenage boys. Instead stark contrast to initial expectations, Armageddon has a soul where its brain should be, which is more than satisfying enough.
jcasetnlMay 1, 2016
Take an 80's action movie packed with every cliche in the book and a huge budget and Armageddon is what pops out. It's really not a bad movie if you can put your brain on mute and just go along for the ride. Probably it's biggest sin is itTake an 80's action movie packed with every cliche in the book and a huge budget and Armageddon is what pops out. It's really not a bad movie if you can put your brain on mute and just go along for the ride. Probably it's biggest sin is it occasionally takes itself seriously, but that doesn't mean you have to! Great party movie with a few drinks and friends who can laugh at some classically bad dialog. Expand
TheApplegnomeJul 12, 2014
Armageddon is stunning, entertaining, groovy and dramatic.

Armageddon is stunning, entertaining, groovy and dramatic.

The opening scene is cool as it is massive, and I really enjoyed it! But after that it became a bit lame with to much slow and boring scenes, which I didn't like at all. The film overall thought, is very entertaining and the action is awesome! Armageddon is a highly unique film that combines a great story with wonderful actors as Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck, which truly are outstanding together. The music is also another aspect of the film that's wonderful, so dramatic, and I love it. Almost every detail in the film is perfect, besides the first slow half of the film and the "missing scenes" at some places that makes it a bit confusing.

A sadly but awesome film by Michael Bay, and the best (to date).

Armageddon gets a 8.3/10
DjtoodlesMay 30, 2017
Its silly and im sure the science is completely wrong but damn if it isn't one of the best films ever made. I must have seen this film at least 30 times and I get something in my eye every time. Easily one of my favourite movies of all time,Its silly and im sure the science is completely wrong but damn if it isn't one of the best films ever made. I must have seen this film at least 30 times and I get something in my eye every time. Easily one of my favourite movies of all time, I love the acting, the emotion, the humour and the characters. A classic apocalyptic disaster movie without equal. Expand
JunelKeanJul 4, 2017
Armageddon is a sci-fi action drama thriller directed by the guy behind “Transformers” Michael Bay. It tells the story of an asteroid wiping the earth less than a month, and it’s up to Dan Thurman (Thornton) to recruit the world's finestArmageddon is a sci-fi action drama thriller directed by the guy behind “Transformers” Michael Bay. It tells the story of an asteroid wiping the earth less than a month, and it’s up to Dan Thurman (Thornton) to recruit the world's finest drillers lead by Harry (Willis) to stop this disaster happening.

The cast includes many great talents and did a remarkable job to make their characters stand out. They are given enough screen time and background to make them highly remembered especially Buscemi, Affleck, Tyler and Duncan.

Armageddon's extravagant visual effects, explosions and action set pieces make the audience be engaged all throughout the film. There are many rip-roaring moments with mesmerizing special effects, which do not work for quite sometimes, but for the most parts, it's still an enjoyable and entertaining flick which exceeds expectations of Bay fans.

However, with scientifically inaccurate and unrealistic things, this movie has a lot of factual errors and science mistakes that do not make any sense. It also has some laughable jokes and sincere emotions which blends finely.

VERDICT: Armageddon features great acting and special effects, but the science behind the movie does not work.
CoreGamer1408Dec 16, 2018
To take a quote out of the movie "So not the right stuff" is why this film worked. It didn't come across as another gung ho USA military save the world. The fish out of water characters made this a lot of tense fun and that one Russian dudeTo take a quote out of the movie "So not the right stuff" is why this film worked. It didn't come across as another gung ho USA military save the world. The fish out of water characters made this a lot of tense fun and that one Russian dude was hilarious. Expand
TheRussianatorApr 2, 2018
The most underrated Michael Bay movie, which people judged too harshly. It's a simple action/space movie with Bruce Willis being Bruce Willis. Don't overthink it - enjoy it.
harvdog03Nov 20, 2018
Just a great popcorn film. Just sit back and relax and enjoy and also listen to a little Aerosmith.
molemaster43Apr 7, 2013
Armageddon isn't as bad as everyone says. I really do not see why everyone dislikes this movie. It isn't the best film out there, but it is entertaining. The thing that gets me furious is that critics complain that the movie isn't realistic.Armageddon isn't as bad as everyone says. I really do not see why everyone dislikes this movie. It isn't the best film out there, but it is entertaining. The thing that gets me furious is that critics complain that the movie isn't realistic. I say to them, "Are you a movie critic or just plain stupid? Movies are about entertaining the masses (and making money), not the border of realism." This movie has been ridiculed for being too unrealistic. Yet when you see other live-actions that are clearly unrealistic (Jurassic Park, Gremlins, which are good movies), you praise the absolute heck outta them!

Anyways, I felt that this movie had a great ensemble cast with the likes of Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob Thornton, Liv Tyler, Will Patton, William Fichtner, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare, Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP), and Owen Wilson. These guys had great interaction with each other. Overall, I felt that this was one of Michael Bay's successful endeavors that is entertaining and fun to watch.
bfoore90Nov 19, 2015
Decent movie as far as Michael Bay movies are concerned. I loved it as a kid but its just one of those movies where you grow up and realize that that alot of what makes the movie good, well, also makes it kinda dumb. The acting is choppy atDecent movie as far as Michael Bay movies are concerned. I loved it as a kid but its just one of those movies where you grow up and realize that that alot of what makes the movie good, well, also makes it kinda dumb. The acting is choppy at times, the movie relies heavily on special effects, and the screenplay is just meh. The ending is really good and has always been a strong point of this movie Expand
jacobshoffDec 17, 2014
The Most exciting action movie i have ever seen. I Loved it. Its got great action, it's very thrilling and just in my opinion a great movie. LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!
LoRevisorJan 25, 2015
Odiar Michael Bay é uma doença que mexe com a diminuição do Q.I,eu não tenho essa doença.
Armageddon,É Um filme cheio de ação,humor e inteligência o que mais podemos pedir num filme. Fora o ótimo roteiro e só atuações de primeira classe. Bruce Willis,Steve Buscemi,Ben Affleck,Billy Bob Thornton,Michael Clarke Duncan,Peter Stormare,Will Patton,Owen Wilson,William Fichtner,Jason Isaacs,Ken Hudson Campbell e Liv Tyler que elenco!!! o que mais esperar de um filme???
Zanessa250QIJul 13, 2015
................................................ Incrível ............................................ Aventura .................................................... Muita comédia,ação e etc.............
sicranoJul 20, 2015
........................................................................................................................................................................................................44 imbecis Roger Ebert foi meio idiota em........................................................................................................................................................................................................44 imbecis Roger Ebert foi meio idiota em não gosta dessa obra-prima Expand
SrPepeJul 15, 2018
Armaggedon es una película muy buena, divertida con acción, drama, romance, traición y ciencia ficción. Grandes actores y una gran (y bastante irreal) trama.
J-MFeb 19, 2019
Far from perfect - in the first half, there's plenty of awkward moments - but overall I highly fun and exciting disaster-action movie with great special effects.
Whizzy_ElephantFeb 13, 2019
Significantly underrated, for its absurdness it is surprisingly overpowered by its sheer determination to bring real emotion and human feeling to its abundantly rich visual design.

Bruce Willis is definitely not my favourite actor, even when

Bruce Willis is definitely not my favourite actor, even when he appears in one of my favourite film (The Fifth Element). I can say honestly this is the only film where I feel his performance actually contributes significantly to the development and sincerity that this film needed. It doesn't come across as being that cheesy, because they carefully avoid keeping humour is only glimpsed in short bursts. And aside some logistical problems, most of the thrills are believable, as well as the stage sets and CGI.

I feel a good point to make this an eight also comes from the wide array of accomplished actors pulling amazing contrasting performances. Lots of drama, lots of interaction - I love all the characters.

It's a crazy far fetched film, but if you put enough sincere emotion and effort into it, i'll take such crazy and join on the wild ride.
NatamSep 2, 2007
So, everybody's complaining it's predictable, and slashing the movie because of it. Fair? no. Please remember most of these reviews were written back in 1998, at the height of the disaster-film trend. Reviewers were fed up with So, everybody's complaining it's predictable, and slashing the movie because of it. Fair? no. Please remember most of these reviews were written back in 1998, at the height of the disaster-film trend. Reviewers were fed up with "Volcano"s, they took most of their frustration on Armageddon. Is it that bad? Looking back, not it all. It's even Influential in its own way. Charachters are good enough for a PopcornMovie (what did you expect? The Godfather?), Special Affects are great, maybe noisy and dizzying, but this movie didn't market itself as Driving Miss Daisie anyway... As far as a summer blockbuster can go, it's one of the good ones. It's at least better than Transformers, by any means. Expand
AlbinFeb 10, 2008
It was a great movie that I've seen over and over, and it is just as good as the first time I saw it. I see no big problems other than it was a crazy-unbelievable plot. Then again, its a HOLLYWOOD FILM so 10/10.
CarlaC.Oct 19, 2005
It's wonderful!!!!
JustinL.May 14, 2006
Something for everyone.
AlexJul 6, 2008
I love this movie! I haven't even seen the whole thing (I missed most of the beginning and part of the middle) And I still got it! And as a bonus it has some of my favorite actors!
MarcusL.Jan 5, 2009
This movie was very sad. I loved it. It had great acting through all the actors. Bruce played another great performance. There was only one problem and that was how predictable it was. But, I still could watch it over and over again.
JackS.Nov 22, 2008
I wasn't that bad, it was epic, it had great special effects, it was extrememly easy to guess the outcome, thats the main reason the movie lost so many votes, I like it anyway, thats just me. It had the best visual effects in 1998. I wasn't that bad, it was epic, it had great special effects, it was extrememly easy to guess the outcome, thats the main reason the movie lost so many votes, I like it anyway, thats just me. It had the best visual effects in 1998. Thats something, most movies are pretty predictable. But, I have to admit, this gave it away. You don't need to know watch the movie to know what happens. It is pretty kick-ass though. The only unpredictable part is HOW they end up blowing the asteroid up. (Sorry to those who wanna watch it, it is pretty obviouse though.) Expand
ParzivaIAug 22, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. La mejor película y la mejor banda sonora que he tenido el gusto de “sentir” en mi vida.

Grandes Actores, alocada, divertida y frenética.
Una obra maestra del Siglo XX.

Espectacular.