Universal Pictures | Release Date: August 29, 2014
Generally favorable reviews based on 192 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
FleshWorldSep 7, 2014
Not bad at all for a found footage film. It only lost me slightly around the halfway mark when the literal happenings gave way to the fantastical. I do think the cast was pretty fun to watch.
yoyomascelloSep 9, 2014
If you think hating on this movie is worth while, then you're wasting your time. This movie isn't some groundbreaking piece of found footage horror. It's important to go into a movie like this open minded, not intent on finding any andIf you think hating on this movie is worth while, then you're wasting your time. This movie isn't some groundbreaking piece of found footage horror. It's important to go into a movie like this open minded, not intent on finding any and every fault you can possible pick out of it. If you do that, go home. That being said, this movie is awesome. It gives a very serious, tense look at the research and exploring leading up to a dive into frightening caverns lined with human bones. It gives us back story and as much characterization as it needs to make it scary. You know the leading lady is determined to respect her father's life's work and she's surrounded by reluctant, loyal, or knowledgeable companions. Seriously, they're going into bone-tunnels to hell. It's obvious. Don't take this movie for more than what it is. Once they get down there and the scares start coming, there's no need for any of it, and no need to nit pick. From hooded figures to a crazed lost friend to things being upside down and carved into the rock, this movie delivers the scares perfectly, though they are measured. You have to be a little patient.
All in all, this movie goes from an intense opening, to an information-heavy first act, to a fast paced, frightening middle act and leaves any horror lover satisfied at the end. This movie won't change your life, but it's a found footage film with good scares. What else could you be asking for?
FrankTCastleJan 8, 2015
The movie has some very good idea's but they are not very well presented and do really feel like a good fit for a found footage movie. The cast do an excellent job for the most part with only a couple of slightly awkward and poorly acted scenes.
diogomendesDec 18, 2014
Featuring some good performances from its main cast and a creepy atmosphere, "As Above, So Below", unfortunately, is weighed down by a cliché-ridden narrative and a weak premise.
marc5477Sep 19, 2016
A tablet written in Aramaic happens to rhyme in English when translated... yea, not a lot of brains went into this movie but for a lost footage horror film it is still one of the better ones which does say much since I have yet to see oneA tablet written in Aramaic happens to rhyme in English when translated... yea, not a lot of brains went into this movie but for a lost footage horror film it is still one of the better ones which does say much since I have yet to see one that I like. The acting was terrible, and the banter was uninteresting and mostly distracting, but some of the horror ideas were not too bad. Sure they implemented a few jump scares and other cliches but once the movie gets going you cant help but cheer for the cave to kill everyone... not I am not kidding. You actually want them all to die because they are beyond stupid but the upside is you start to think of the cave as being alive in its own right. That is what makes it interesting. Most haunted house type movies do a pathetic job of making ghosts or monsters come alive but this one does it inadvertently.

Overall an ok horror movie and by far the best found footage movie I have seen. Still dont expect something mind blowing but a good hour and a half of entertainment.
ydnar4Dec 11, 2014
I enjoyed As Above, So Below far more than a six. I was entertained throughout the whole movie. I was very interested in the travel while in the underground caves. Visually it is so interesting. There are a few real good scares as well and II enjoyed As Above, So Below far more than a six. I was entertained throughout the whole movie. I was very interested in the travel while in the underground caves. Visually it is so interesting. There are a few real good scares as well and I also enjoyed the cast. However, there are a lot of holes in the plot. There are a lot of questions left unanswered. The movie just has plot twist every few minutes without any warning or reason and in the ending there is still no explanation. I did really enjoy the movie but its hard to give it a better grade than six considering there are so many questions that remain unanswered. I may have to watch this movie again just to see if I can pick up more from it. There are people who will love this movie but there will also be many who will hate it. Expand
ErikTheCriticSep 26, 2018
Although it lacks originality and does have horror movie clichés, I had a decent time with this movie because it did have some clever scares, which did not all rely on jump-scares.
MarcDoyleSep 3, 2014
Much better than I imagined it would be. I enjoyed the intro sequence in the Iranian tunnel system, and the lead actress is an excellent casting choice. Further, the guy from Mad Men brings some acting skill to the proceedings. It's a niceMuch better than I imagined it would be. I enjoyed the intro sequence in the Iranian tunnel system, and the lead actress is an excellent casting choice. Further, the guy from Mad Men brings some acting skill to the proceedings. It's a nice set-up, and an interesting final minute, but the final third as a whole gets fairly pedestrian for the genre. I'd still recommend this to people, like me, who have been in the Parisian Catacombs and may have been a little freaked out by them. Expand
bmaster4616Sep 1, 2014
This pretty good premise had promise until the **** ending. The movie was good until it tried too hard to be unique. The movie is actually one of the better unofficial "found footage" genre movies, sadly. The beginning has it's flaws, but theThis pretty good premise had promise until the **** ending. The movie was good until it tried too hard to be unique. The movie is actually one of the better unofficial "found footage" genre movies, sadly. The beginning has it's flaws, but the pace and story of the stone is actually pretty well done. There's this stone called "Philosophers Stone" (KIND of a copy of Harry Potter) that is suppose to basically heal and give the owner internal life....basically harry potter. Scarlet finds out that the stone is in Paris and they go after it. Well this is where things are actually pretty good. Creepy things happen in the Catacombs. The good thing about this movie is the one fact that plague a lot of found footage movies "why are you still filming". They move the camera onto a head light, like a go camera. So "still filming" doesn't go through the audience's minds...well that's a small good thing about the movie. After half way through the movie, the story of the stone is quite stupid and turns into a backwards and confusing premise....that's really awkwardly pretentious. Its nothing to watch in theaters....just watch it on Netflix when it arrive there in the future...just don't stay for the ending. Overall I didn't thing it was god awful, but the movie is too confusing and pretentious for its own good. 5.8 Expand
TVJerrySep 11, 2014
A young team ventures deep in the catacombs under Paris in quest of secret treasure. The first hour sets up a mildly interesting mystery/adventure, but when the "horror" finally arrives, the film deteriorates into scream scares and creepyA young team ventures deep in the catacombs under Paris in quest of secret treasure. The first hour sets up a mildly interesting mystery/adventure, but when the "horror" finally arrives, the film deteriorates into scream scares and creepy stuff that's dumb and obscure. The filmmaker also uses the found footage approach (a la "Blair Witch Project" & "Paranormal Activity"), which I find a challenging but cheesy way to tell a story. Expand
Compi24Mar 8, 2015
A truly engrossing Uncharted-meets-Indiana-Jones-esque setup is completely subverted by laughably bungled horror scenes and a series of plot developments that ultimately leave more questions about the narrative than answers.
moviemitch96Sep 4, 2014
There's really not much to say on this one. Overall, it's just another cliché-riddled found footage film, which is disappointing, considering how much I was anticipating it, as well as its intriguing premise. Granted, there were a few intenseThere's really not much to say on this one. Overall, it's just another cliché-riddled found footage film, which is disappointing, considering how much I was anticipating it, as well as its intriguing premise. Granted, there were a few intense moments here and there, but for the most part it felt kinda clumsy. Just rent it once if you're planning on watching it. Expand
MattBrady99Mar 13, 2015
To the people who said they are stick and tried of found footage movies, well your not alone.

The story is about a group of people exploring this vast city of the dead uncover something far more sinister and find the greatest threat may come from within their own haunted past.

Okay am not going to lie about this but when this movie started I was thinking to myself "This is dreadful" and am not kidding you. The movie began so awful and so slow paste I was already checked out. But as the film went along it started to be okay, but then the ending happened and that's where it got good. If you hate Jump scares in horror films then good luck trying to get through this movie, because Jump scares happen a lot in this movie. The characters are just they to die or to explain stuff that just happened to them. The acting is not that bad, yeah the acting was actually not terrible as thought it was going to be because found footage horror flicks have some horrible acting, but in this movie nope. The director of this movie (John Erick Dowdle) who did such movies like: Devil and the american remake of Quarantine. Well in this movie the directing is alright, nothing special. Overall As Above So Below is not great movie but it's not like "Oh my god this is the worst" no this is in the middle of alright and mediocre.
ryanloveslanaMay 10, 2015
To me, it was not that overwhelmingly bad, I like the location it takes place in and the scares were on-fleek. It would've helped if the movie had more scares.
UrbanlistenerNov 22, 2015
Lot of potential there, some pretty good moments here and there, but mostly they waste a great concept on cheap jumpscares and loud sounds like most of the horror films these days...
CineAutoctonoAug 26, 2018
We all know that found footage movies already have people tired, although "The Blair Witch's Project" and "Paranormal Activity" are an exception, "As Above, So Below" does not fall into those exceptions for several things, to Although theWe all know that found footage movies already have people tired, although "The Blair Witch's Project" and "Paranormal Activity" are an exception, "As Above, So Below" does not fall into those exceptions for several things, to Although the plot is faithful to the story with a unique background, the following shortcomings were found:

1. The chemistry and performances of all the characters was null.

2. The film is based on the clichés of horror films that have to do with this subgenre, which only wants to generate scares when it does not.

3. The interpretation of the protagonist is ominous.

As Above, So Below does not achieve the deserved impact thanks to these failures that the filmmakers of this subgenre are still committing.
PanchogulMar 29, 2020
Así en la Tierra como en el Infierno (2014)

Sinopsis: Kilómetros y kilómetros de tortuosas catacumbas yacen bajo las calles de París, plagadas de incontables almas. Cuando un equipo de exploradores se aventura en este desconocido laberinto,
Así en la Tierra como en el Infierno (2014)

Sinopsis:

Kilómetros y kilómetros de tortuosas catacumbas yacen bajo las calles de París, plagadas de incontables almas. Cuando un equipo de exploradores se aventura en este desconocido laberinto, se descubre cuál fue la verdadera función de esta ciudad.

Opinión:

Existen muchas películas de terror que pertenecen al subgénero de Falso Documental y esta no es la excepción. Es bastante entretenida, empieza y continúa de manera decente, pero hacia el final se va todo al carajo al apresurar un mediocre desenlace que en los momentos previos ya se preveía desastroso pues se volvía cada vez más ridícula e inverosímil de ver.

Pasable para ver en una tarde de fin de semana, y era, aparte que la protagonista resultó ser una odiosa de primera.

Valoración:

2. 5 ⭐ de 5 ⭐
EvasivePickleFeb 16, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK, i rated this before. But i did not do it justly. It didnt deserve an 8 score or 7 and barely a six. Actually, it doesnt even deserve a six either. More like a 3 or 4. It goes so slow in the beginning I'm suprised i didn't die of old age. the back stories of all of the characters are cheesy (get it? Cuz' they're from france? Heh? HahahaHAHAHAH where's my cyanide!?) and the scaryness of it all? not there, kinda almost creepy-ish is the closest it comes, and most characters were bland and boring (save papillion and souxie) and as sone as they die, so does the movie. They were the dim almost kindling light that kept the deep catacombs slightly entertaining and creepy. It was a terrible goody goody happy ending and all of the wrong characters died and survived. the only reason im giving it a 6 and not a 3 is because i have a strange affection to it. despite its many many many (x Infinity) flaws. Expand
bartcbemNov 14, 2019
It started very promising but then quickly went down the hilarity and down the drain. I really hate when a movie with great potential gets completely wasted by bad writing.
AginagalaNov 7, 2017
For horror fans, a great, fun, and enjoyable film. For people with common sense... not so much. The brains behind this film wasn't exactly thought out as mythologically, terms were not accurate, translations just happened to be in perfectFor horror fans, a great, fun, and enjoyable film. For people with common sense... not so much. The brains behind this film wasn't exactly thought out as mythologically, terms were not accurate, translations just happened to be in perfect English. However if you're simply looking for a good sit down movie with a girlfriend/boyfriend, a group of friends who are looking for a good scare, this definitely kept me on my toes as I felt tense through most of the film. Disturbing visuals and decent CGI, a good horror. Expand
FilipeNetoJun 12, 2018
This low-budget film starts from a promising premise: the legendary quest for the Philosopher's Stone, allegedly discovered by a medieval alchemist, Nicholas Flamel. However, the whole story is based on a script so ambitious that it ends upThis low-budget film starts from a promising premise: the legendary quest for the Philosopher's Stone, allegedly discovered by a medieval alchemist, Nicholas Flamel. However, the whole story is based on a script so ambitious that it ends up being its own enemy. One of it most obvious mistakes is to arbitrarily mix historical elements, such as the unlikely link between a medieval pseudo-scientist (who, at most, would know some Latin) and a Persian stone tablet in Aramaic, an absolutely unknown language in medieval Europe. The use of Paris catacombs as a movie location was an excellent move, adding value and interest to the film but, despite the gloomy atmosphere, it failed to create tension. The scares repeat themselves, successfully, but nothing more. There is no real fear or suspense. The use of an old kabbalistic axiom (as above so below) is determinant for the plot and the end of the film, always having in mind the words and their meaning (difficult to understand for those who are not fans of the occult). Perdita Weeks is the lead actress and does a fairly reasonable job, but the rest of the cast does not help. Cinematography is bad, but I think it was purposeful because it's supposed to be a found-footage or something based on unedited recordings. Expand
BryceHarperFeb 23, 2018
Far shorter than my original thought. I did enjoy 'Devil', which was directed by Dowdle, so I expected it would be fascinating, but you know, things aren't turning out to be what you've anticipated it to be.
FalaaxApr 10, 2018
A good found-footage movie. The plot is well thought and the atmosphere created builds tension and provides a good entertainment. However the jumpscares are cliché and it feels like there's just a lot of things put together without beingA good found-footage movie. The plot is well thought and the atmosphere created builds tension and provides a good entertainment. However the jumpscares are cliché and it feels like there's just a lot of things put together without being really coherent. Expand
seabassreviewsDec 23, 2021
this film has much more screaming and yelling than i remember but none the less still a very underrated found footage movie.