Miramax Films | Release Date: February 9, 1996
Universal acclaim based on 50 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
TylerDurden900Jul 20, 2014
Beautiful Girls is an excellent comedy drama with a popular cast. Uma Thurman, Matt Dillon, Natalie
Portman and Mira Sorvino are just some of the actors in the movie. The movie is a wonderful movie to
watch with your significant other,
watch with your significant other, friends or family.
JedMar 20, 2006
This is a good movie about real people. It's not action packed, it's not incredibly insightful... it's a character study of average people who may relate to people you know.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
MikeOct 18, 2006
Portman, Plimpton and O'Donnell make the film. The only one of Portman's films I've seen that measures up to The Professional.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
SpangleMay 27, 2016
A fantastic look at male insecurity, immaturity, and our inability to commit, Beautiful Girls is a truly sentimental film. A great look at returning home to think things out while being confronted with your past and having to learn how toA fantastic look at male insecurity, immaturity, and our inability to commit, Beautiful Girls is a truly sentimental film. A great look at returning home to think things out while being confronted with your past and having to learn how to move on, the film can be a little too obvious and thinks itself more profound than it really is, but that said, it is a really engaging and compelling look at life, love, and finding that "perfect" person for you. An actor's showcase, Beautiful Girls presents fantastic performances from Natalie Portman, Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillon, Noah Emmerich, Michael Rapaport, Rosie O'Donnell, and Uma Thurman. Sweetly written, the sentimental nature of the film hits all the right notes and truly fills you up with nostalgia for the way things used to be and really uses this nostalgia as a good jumping off point to dive into its psychological musings. Overall, Beautiful Girls is a pretty good film overall that really is a pleasure to watch. Expand
ryu9376Nov 23, 2018
Just a gem of a film... every actor & actress was on point... this is one of those movies that has replay value.
TheGermanGeezerDec 12, 2020
This is the first review I write on Metacritic as I watched the movie yesterday night for the umpteenth time an just felt like giving my two cents:

Even though I should have outgrown it as it revolves mainly around characters in their late 20s, it doesn’t feel like that at all. In fact it’s my personal top five favorite movies of all time (as a frame of reference: I was born in the late 60s), and one of a few on my annual watch list -- though yesterday I just found out that it’s best enjoyed in early February!

It’s all about coming home, camaraderie, the coziness of having a place in the world and the discomfort of still looking for it.

The cast is killer, they have an unbeatable chemistry and a very young Natalie Portman is the magic sparkle – she straight outplays all her seniors.

There are quite a few tremendously great monologues that are just as quotable as from any bigger movie. And the songs chosen for the piece hits all the right notes – it actually expanded my music universe quite a bit (unfortunately, the soundtrack album doesn’t contain all the tracks in the movie, but the one that really set the mood for the movie are there).

It’s just a precious little Ted Demme gem that I always pick up at flea markets whenever I see a DVD of it in a forgotten sales bin: Do the same, give it to one of your friends, preferably male (though I can imagine that the movie also works for women ... to a certain degree).
Embalmer98Jun 11, 2021