Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: November 22, 1991
Universal acclaim based on 308 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
Whizzy_ElephantFeb 13, 2019
Beauty the Beast works to an extent. Visually the appeal takes time to develop. It's a dark, deary and uninteresting first several minutes, and I wouldn't understand how that would attract children to become immersed. However past that theBeauty the Beast works to an extent. Visually the appeal takes time to develop. It's a dark, deary and uninteresting first several minutes, and I wouldn't understand how that would attract children to become immersed. However past that the film starts to develop a flame, but just as it does we get a super long look as Gaston, and that's all we really learn about him. The pace keeps getting killed. He's a very one sided somewhat misunderstood neutral character that is merely guilty of not having the intelligence to understand what is really happening, and the comedic elements concerning his sidekicks fail terribly. The film tries to force ideas and concepts, but the execution often pulls away from what they are attempting to convey.

However the atmosphere, songs and voice acting are some of the best Disney have to offer. I just think with the entire running time, they could have easily put more umph and actual plot devices into this, especially concerning Gaston.

It's not my type of film, but I can see objectively it doesn't really have anything offensively bad. It's just not a very inventive take on this romance story.