Roadside Attractions | Release Date: June 3, 2022
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 12 Ratings
Watch Now
n8cv1996Jun 8, 2022
I would like to give it a 6 — but only for these four reasons: I lack the historic appreciation for British cultural pleasantries; I never knew the poet Siegfried Sassoon before this movie; I do not personally relate with the struggle ofI would like to give it a 6 — but only for these four reasons: I lack the historic appreciation for British cultural pleasantries; I never knew the poet Siegfried Sassoon before this movie; I do not personally relate with the struggle of homosexuality (while I can appreciate the struggle of it); and I’m not accustomed to frequent, long, “static shot” scenes [meaning the camera doesn’t move]. Analyzing the movie beyond my lens, I give the movie a 74/100. Read on to learn why [with no spoilers in my review].

The script oscillated from an 8-9 to a 5-6 — a mix of occasional great intellectual poetry and dialogue, to casual and ordinary dialogue that was acted well, but very ordinary. I would say the script consisted of more ordinary script than I liked, but the smart and charming parts of the script + a beer in my hand kept me in the theater. The acting was well done and suited the situations, save for a few instances; overall I give the acting an 8-9.

The movie did a fine job conveying the life and struggles of Siegfried Sassoon in both realistic and artistic fashions. There are lessons in the movie that I think everyone can learn from. The artistic portrayal of war was abstract in its attempt, but fairly basic in its execution; its execution was that of a novice filmmaker.

Overall, if I were a British grandma or an elderly gay man who saw this movie pop up on TV, on BBC, I would watch this movie in full without any problem. Maybe this movie would appeal more to mid-life and young gay folks than mid-life and young heterosexuals, though the younger audience might overall opt for other cinema. Lastly, one doesn’t have to be British to like the movie but it probably helps.
All_ButTrU4Jul 27, 2022
5.9/10
5.9/10
Sassoon was an unexpected man in his periods time: a decorated soilder who alongside being anti-war was an esteemed poet and homosexual. Him and his dalliances create the foundation for a rich semi biographical story which unfortunately this is not. This movie tries to get alot in at at once which boats & muddies the entire film . The decision to begin with a black & white slide show of the war is understandable but doesn't justify how long it stays for. The leads subtle varied performance does litte to distract from just how anticlimactic everything really is here,they never make or let you care for anyone. On the brightside the costume design, cinematography and period accuracy is on point (the latter only to a small extent)but even so it's good enough to not spoil the movie too much