New Line Cinema | Release Date: August 16, 2019
6.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 57 Ratings
Watch Now
gwatemalaAug 22, 2019
Absolutely loved it, felt good the whole way through and i can't wait to see it again. Soundtrack is very heavy on Springsteen but thats the root of the main characters feelings and passion. Loved it.
GreatMartinAug 20, 2019
(And a short review on Bruce Springsteen)

(And a short review on Bruce Springsteen)

My inclination is to write 2 different reviews regarding "Blinded by the Light" with the first being about Bruce Springsteen and his music while the second would be about the movie and how the music is used. I will try to be brief, for me, with the Springsteen review first.

It has only been in the past few days that I have become familiar with Bruce Springsteen's music and life. Oh, I had heard of a couple of his hits but wouldn't seek him out to listen to him sing and/or perform. I knew about his record breaking concert "Springsteen On Broadway" and recently heard that the filmed version was being shown on Netflix. I, also, read he has directed a documentary and his latest album "Western Stars". I wasn't very much into the popular music of the 1970s when he made a name for himself as I was 'stuck' on music of the 1930s-1960s and music from Broadway and Hollywood but I do remember his Oscar winning "Streets of Philadelphia".

Thinking of going to see "Blinded by the Light" I decided to watch his concert and was moved, not so much by his singing voice and/or music but by his life story and I still feel the same today after seeing the movie which I feel I got into better than I would have otherwise.

"Blinded by the Light" is full of cliches, the kind I like in movies. The beginning of the movie didn't thrill me as I have enough problems hearing dialogue especially when spoken with an English accent and then adding a Pakistani accent to it! I don't know the exact point the first 'Hollywood' musical number was done but starting with that cliche I was hooked! Yes, there are a few of these elaborate musical numbers where students, parents and whoever is around burst into song though the first number "The Promised Land" is a solo that for whatever reason reminded me of Gene Kelley's "Singing in the Rain".

The story is based on the true story of a teenager who gets into a world of music and writing and if you as a teenager ever felt a connection that affected how you thought and acted you will understand what this movie is about and if you haven't experienced it this movie will show you how they do.

Yes, the cliches are here from the prejudice, not only the British against the Pakistani but the latter against Jews, the anger against immigrants, fathers coming to a new country to make a new life but not wanting his children to forget where the parents came from and getting upset if the children discover their own path, there is the first love, making and losing friends, sacrifices during a recession here taking place during Thatcher's era, children hiding things from their parents plus not to forget jokes about New Jersey! Our teenager meets a teacher who believes in him and, yes, it is corny, but it works just as the father and son scenes do.

Let's not have any doubt about the importance of a teenager discovering something to believe in as in this case the music will have him stand up to bullies, kiss a girl, spend much needed money to see Springsteen in a concert and even help him make a major decision.

Viveik Kalra, as the teenager Javed, Dean-Charles Chapman as his best friend Matt, (who I must admit I thought was a girl and put a crazy spin on the first 10-15 minutes of the movie!), Aaron Phagura as Roops as his new friend who introduces Javed to Bruce Springsteen, Nell Williams is Eliza, his soon to be girlfriend, maybe, Nikita Mehta as his sister Shazia who has a secret of her own that really surprises the audience while David Hayman, as his neighbor Mr. Evans and Haylay Atwell as the supportive teacher all perform admirably with Viveik Kalra a standout.

As Javed parent's Kulvinder Chir as the father and Meera Ganatra as the mother take two roles that have been done thousands of times in movies add poignancy, laughter and drama with the greatest of ease and have a lot to do with the tears the audience sheds.

"Blinded by the Light", as I said, is based on a true story and the screenplay was based on the book "Greetings from Bury Park" by Sarfraz Manzoor, who co-wrote the screenplay, and who the character Javed is based on, with Paul Mayeda and the director Gurinder Chadha. The latter keeps the film moving, the cliches and the unbelievable song and dance sequences believable.

I certainly have to give Bruce Springsteen credit for making "Blinded by the Light" a much more interesting picture than it would have been without his music or my not knowing about his background.
ShepfarmAug 19, 2019
I loved this movie! Inspirational and touching story. And the Bruce music was amazing and well placed. I saw this in a Dolby sound theater which made it even better. I Highly recommend this movie especially to Bruce fans.
MondayQBAug 17, 2019
Delightful, feel good, but thoughtful movie. You can’t help but root for the the main character. And this movie lets you walk in the shoes of immigrants who are hardworking and trying to make a life for their family. A must watch for anyoneDelightful, feel good, but thoughtful movie. You can’t help but root for the the main character. And this movie lets you walk in the shoes of immigrants who are hardworking and trying to make a life for their family. A must watch for anyone with a heart. Expand
JBL12345Aug 18, 2019
There are some corny scenes in this movie, but stick with it. Javed's wonderful speech during the final few minutes makes it all worthwhile. And you can't complain about the music!
DerekReideSep 20, 2019
'Blinded by the Light' is incredibly awe-inspiring, meaningful, and an awesome movie, period. Definitely my top three this year, so far. From the moment this film began, it was clear that the message of this movie was to always follow your'Blinded by the Light' is incredibly awe-inspiring, meaningful, and an awesome movie, period. Definitely my top three this year, so far. From the moment this film began, it was clear that the message of this movie was to always follow your dreams. Nowadays, you'd never really get a film this impactful, but I am happy to say that this film does a flawless job stating what they want to say to the audience. Definitely a must-watch for all Springsteen fans and non-Springsteen fans alike. Expand
M0GZSep 18, 2019
Still smiling after getting home. Great sound track. A look back at 80s Britain and a reminder of how we have move forward.
EliOli123Aug 26, 2019
I loved this movie. It started off a bit on the slow side and from what I read in another user review; this was the most likely reason that people started walking out of the theatre he was at. I can see how people who are used to the usualI loved this movie. It started off a bit on the slow side and from what I read in another user review; this was the most likely reason that people started walking out of the theatre he was at. I can see how people who are used to the usual mass marketed drama/comedy would not have the patience to sit through that part of it, but by the end of the movie it all comes together and leaves you feeling joyful and uplifted. The acting was great, the music was phenomenal. I was never a huge Springsteen fan, but listening to his music through the point of view of the protagonist I've gained a new appreciation for it. Great movie. Just be prepared for a slower pace that you might be used to. Expand
MetaflixAug 21, 2019
There have been loads of musical bio-pics coming from across the pond in recent memory, from ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ to ‘Rocketman’ to ‘Yesterday.’ At the very least they’ve all been entertaining, though a fair share of the credit must be givenThere have been loads of musical bio-pics coming from across the pond in recent memory, from ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ to ‘Rocketman’ to ‘Yesterday.’ At the very least they’ve all been entertaining, though a fair share of the credit must be given to the strength of the soundtracks they’ve utilized. ‘Blinded by the Light,’ which is based on the music of Bruce Springsteen, is no different, while being thematically similar in many ways to 2016’s ‘Sing Street.’

The story takes place in 1987 during the austerity measures of Margaret Thatcher’s Britain, where a teenager of Pakistani descent confronts social bias, familial strife, and yearns for a girlfriend. He’s a naturally gifted writer and his views on life are further sharpened upon the discovery of Bruce Springsteen’s music.

The plot certainly doesn’t break any new ground, nor does it necessarily need to. This is a prototypical what-you-see is what-you-get feel good picture that starts off rather mundane but finishes strong and is worth the price of admission.
LajaleaaOct 6, 2019
"That's a very brave poem young man."
( 70/100 ) . Aquí tenemos al candidato más fuerte para la película más tierna del año. "Blinded By The Light" trata sobre un chico de Pakistan que crece en Luton, England bajo un régimen familiar muy
"That's a very brave poem young man."
( 70/100 )
Aquí tenemos al candidato más fuerte para la película más tierna del año. "Blinded By The Light" trata sobre un chico de Pakistan que crece en Luton, England bajo un régimen familiar muy estricto y discriminado culturalmente por la Inglaterra de los 80s. Casi dominado por la depresión de la injusticia social y una cultura de servicio y opresión, Javed encuentra pasión y consolación en Bruce Springsteen. La directora es Gurinder Chadha, a quién se le conoce por "Bend It Like Beckham" (2002) y una carrera de proyectos que exploran las tensiones y resoluciones entre dos o más culturas.
Mientras veía el film, me fue necesario poner en una balanza las cosas que sucedían. Por un lado el gran Viveik Kalra demostró ser un actor muy dinámico y versátil al representar a un personaje que se hidrataría canción a canción. En ese aspecto, el trabajo de vestuario y maquillaje mantienen un ritmo puntual con el estilo que el personaje adopta poco a poco. Pero por otro lado, lo voz del personaje, aunque comenzó sensible e impotente, finaliza con un discurso que, para entonces, Springsteen ya se siente más como una obsesión que como una inspiración. Visualmente, la influencia y la catarsis que Springsteen le provoca al joven Javed se decora de una forma muy autentica, y se nota la falta de miedo por parte de la directora en acercarse a los rostros y expresiones de sus personajes, lo cual se aprecia. Sin embargo, varios otros videoclips que tratan de complementar la energía de la película parecen no saber como mantener la energía visual y ni la edición o la cámara, pueden transmitir la euforia de los personajes y la canción misma. Pero no todo está polarizado, si hay algo muy claro en esta película es que está llena de alma y corazón, sensible al amor y su pasión por existir sin limites.
Here we have the strongest candidate for the cutest movie of the year. "Blinded By The Light" it's about a guy from Pakistan that grows up in Luton, England, under a strict family regime and culturally discriminated by England of the 80s. Almost dominated by the depression of social injustice and a culture of service and oppression, Javed finds passion and consolation in Bruce Springsteen. The director is Gurinder Chadha, who is well known because of "Bend It Like Beckham" and a career of projects that explore the tensions and solutions between two or more cultures.
While I was watching the film, I found it necessary to put in a balance the things that were happening. On one side the great Viveik Karla showed to be a very dynamic and versatile actor by representing a character that would constantly be changed song by song. In that aspect, the dressing and makeup work keep an accurate rhythm with the style that the character adopts time by time. But on the other side, the voice of the character, even though it starts sensible and powerless, ends up with a speech that, by then, Springsteen feels more like an obsession than an inspiration. Visually, the influence and the catharsis that Springsteen provokes into Javed it's decorated in a very authentic way. It's also evident the lack of fear of the director in getting close to the faces and expressions of her characters, which is appreciated. However, several other videoclips that try to complement the energy of the movie seem to don't know how to keep the visual energy, and not even the edition or the camera can transmit the euphoria of the characters and the song itself. But not everything it's polarized, if there's something very clear in this movie is that it's full of soul and hearth, sensible to love and its passion to exist limitless.
MarkHReviewsSep 4, 2019
The core story of “Blinded by the Light,” which focuses on the inevitable tensions between father and son, is so moving and so compelling that it overcomes the movie’s flaws. Javed longs for a world outside Luton (a UK city of about 200,000The core story of “Blinded by the Light,” which focuses on the inevitable tensions between father and son, is so moving and so compelling that it overcomes the movie’s flaws. Javed longs for a world outside Luton (a UK city of about 200,000 people). Going against the wishes of his father, Javed wants to leave Luton, go to university in Manchester and pursue a career as a writer. As Javed plots his future, the music of Bruce Springsteen becomes a guide map as well as a personal obsession. Listening to Springsteen on his ever-present Walkman in the late 1980s, Javed learns how to woo his first girlfriend, to assert his independence and to recognize there is a big world outside Luton that he has yet to experience.

Director Gurinder Chadha (“Bend It Like Beckham”) has made a career of exploring the immigrant experience in the UK, with focus on the unique plight of women uprooted to a new culture with little or no access to formal power or personal independence. Here, Chadha seems less self-confident and less certain about her material. For example, the script incorporates a fairly traditional declaration of independence: “I’m following my dreams, not yours, Dad.” But to make certain the audience gets the point, this scene is repeated, twice more. Chadha is on firmer footing when she portrays the broader immigrant experience and offers her critique of Margaret Thatcher’s economic and social policies. There are several subplot developments that strain credulity or just seem silly and unnecessary. For example, Javed has several touching scenes with his girlfriend, only to decide inexplicably that the relationship is no longer worthwhile. But never fear, the couple is reunited before the closing credits, with a Springsteen lyric offered, by the girlfriend no less, as the implausible explanation.

And because the film involves music, there are some painfully awkward scenes of the principals literally dancing in the streets, scenes that make “High School Musical” seem like high art. But the good heart and driving energy of this film make these and other missteps only temporary distractions. The cast of this film also makes the problems with the script considerably less glaring. Viviek Kalra as Javed is outstanding. The other actors portraying members of his family are compelling and interesting.

The source material for this film is Sarfraz Manzoor’s 2007 memoir “Greetings from Bury Park.” Manzoor, who co-wrote the script with Chadha and her husband, is a noted writer, reporter, director and documentarian. His memoir chronicles the impact of his father’s death in 2005 and the ubiquitous presence of Springsteen’s music throughout his late adolescence.

As an homage to Manzoor’s father, this film is funny, sad and consistently moving. At the screening I attended, there were a few sniffles and grabs for Kleenex as the film concluded. Unfortunately, the film’s kind heart and good intentions are unsupported by a serviceable script.
Eaj6Oct 8, 2019
I am not a big fan of Springsteen but this movie helped me realize how meaningful his lyrics are. In total is was a feel-good movie and it had excellent cinematography. I also loved the shots of Freehold and Asbury Park. I have to say for anI am not a big fan of Springsteen but this movie helped me realize how meaningful his lyrics are. In total is was a feel-good movie and it had excellent cinematography. I also loved the shots of Freehold and Asbury Park. I have to say for an Indie movie, it was excellent and I can really see the director going somewhere! I would definitely recommend! Expand
SirDidymusSep 10, 2019
Good performances and an emotionally investing plot with a fantastic payoff. The first two acts suffer from pacing issues at times but the payoff in the third act is more than worth sticking around for. B+
ATP199Sep 18, 2019
As subtle as a power chord to the face and just as effusively infectious, this Bruce Springsteen-afflicted coming-of-age gem is slightly sloppy but as earnest as they come.
PoTateRateOct 14, 2019
While watching this movie, a dude went in a threw a flash bang in the theater, while being “Blinded by the light”, I heard the cries of people and gunshots. When I could see again, I was alone and had the entire theater to myself! Thanks!While watching this movie, a dude went in a threw a flash bang in the theater, while being “Blinded by the light”, I heard the cries of people and gunshots. When I could see again, I was alone and had the entire theater to myself! Thanks! 10/10 would massacre again. Expand