Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 2, 2018
Generally favorable reviews based on 1128 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
NateFisher22Feb 25, 2019
Its a good performance and is very stylish, but doesn't really have much substance
AdamBeamFeb 12, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody is the bare minimum for a movie of this genre, instead of being a dramatic retelling of one of the greatest bands of all time, it instead plays it way too safe and instead becomes the cliffnotes version of some of Queen'sBohemian Rhapsody is the bare minimum for a movie of this genre, instead of being a dramatic retelling of one of the greatest bands of all time, it instead plays it way too safe and instead becomes the cliffnotes version of some of Queen's greatest hits. Bohemian Rhapsody plays it like the classic rise to fame but with consequence story,and it's at time hilarious how they hollowoddize things in this movie. The only thing that helps the film is the performance of Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury, the performance is genuinely amazing, and the only Oscar this film truly deserves. He perfectly encompasses Mercury's presence on stage, but also his quiet and awkward demeanor off stage. The rest of the movie however is an overall mess, relying only on the love of Queen's music and Malek's performance, so if you like Queen's music and don't care for a proper retelling of their story than this is the movie for you. For me it was just kind of an average movie, with one stand out element. Expand
mhmdvNov 17, 2018
This movie proves that so called "fans" don't care about historical accuracy.
ApertureJanitorJan 4, 2019
This movie is like every other story ark cliches combined but with a Queen paint over it. Off the immense catalog of Queen songs to feature in this film, the people behind it chose the most consumer-friendly, recognizable and predictableThis movie is like every other story ark cliches combined but with a Queen paint over it. Off the immense catalog of Queen songs to feature in this film, the people behind it chose the most consumer-friendly, recognizable and predictable songs that every Queen fan that went to the theater too see the movie is tired to hear. 20th Century Fox is REALLY afraid to dive deep into the dense library of masterpieces that Queen produced over the years, even so that Innuendo is not mentioned in any way in this movie, which, alongside the title track, is one the most "off the wall" track queen has in their discography.
The acting was pretty solid, although Rami Malek really looked comical as young Freddie for me. The band members were alright as charatcers, besides John Deacon, the bassist, whose appearance was really not that much important besides the 'Another One Bites the Dust' section.
Bohemian Rhapsody is a really good movie if you want to become a Queen fan and dive deep into the band's history, but it's disappointing for a long time fan who wanted to see something new.
FPMeloFeb 6, 2019
ENG: If you put the love that you have for "Queen" aside, is just another generic rock band movie.
PT-BR: Se colocarmos de lado o nosso amor por "Queen", o filme é apenas mais um filme genérico de bandas de Rock.
MRD_TGFeb 16, 2019
It was not waste of a time to see this movie,it is a documentary or maybe biography movie,musical,and fast rhythm movie that don't let you become bored.But it is not a MOVIE,it is not CINEMA. The screenplay is so poor,it doesn't have a StoryIt was not waste of a time to see this movie,it is a documentary or maybe biography movie,musical,and fast rhythm movie that don't let you become bored.But it is not a MOVIE,it is not CINEMA. The screenplay is so poor,it doesn't have a Story line,characters are poor,i can't feel them. It's just an actor mediated Documentary;A poor one.
I don't know anything about Directing and i don't judge it.
At all,it wasn't that type of movie that makes me drop deeply in the story to feel the characters and their lives, their world, and think about them.
not good,not bad,but Ugly...
#MRD_TG
BrunoVn00Apr 2, 2019
This was a fine movie, a FINE movie. The performances are amazing, specially from the lead Rami Malek, but the rest of this movie is bland and forgettable. For most of the movie the direction and cinematography were just okay (however theThis was a fine movie, a FINE movie. The performances are amazing, specially from the lead Rami Malek, but the rest of this movie is bland and forgettable. For most of the movie the direction and cinematography were just okay (however the live aid concert scene was really good) and this is just a very standard, formulaic and predictable biopic about Freddie Mercury and Queen.
Not a bad movie but not a great movie or a masterpiece, it's a fine movie and I give it a 6/10. A 6 is a pass and a "positive review" for me, but the minimum for a green score is 7 but that's too high for me. When I saw it I never thought that this could be an Oscar-worthy movie.

The fact that this won Best Drama Picture at the Globes over Blackkklansman, If Beale Street Could Talk and A Star Is Born, is just as laughably hilarious as when Crash won Best Picture at the Oscars over Brokeback Mountain. I'm shocked.
The3AcademySinsNov 4, 2018
For a biopic on a band that went against the musical formula, the film Bohemian Rhapsody is depressingly formulaic. This movie feels more like a cash-grab for the surviving members of Queen than an honest look at the band or Freddie Mercury.For a biopic on a band that went against the musical formula, the film Bohemian Rhapsody is depressingly formulaic. This movie feels more like a cash-grab for the surviving members of Queen than an honest look at the band or Freddie Mercury. In that vein, Freddie Mercury's portrayal is ultimately the downfall of the film.

On one hand, Raimi Malek does a great job portraying the legendary frontman. On the other hand, Bryan Singer's direction is lazy, the script is bad and the movie drags along, spending way too much time on Mary Austin for one thing, but the biggest problem with the script is this: It feels like Queen is trying to take credit for Freddie Mercury being as good as he is, and that is just not the case in real life. Also, there is not nearly enough music in this film. I left the theater feeling unfulfilled.

The movie Bohemian Rhapsody feels a lot like a serious Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. This is not a compliment. Bohemian Rhapsody is contrived, way too safe (the PG-13 rating is indicative of this) and way too boring. This should have been a straight-to-Netflix movie, and it really does feel like that. This is easily one of the most disappointing movies of the year. I would have given this a 4 if it were not for Raimi Malek's performance, which places this movie at a low 5.
SimonFerociousDec 18, 2018
This film is a good example of where the "Hollywood" sensibility of sacrificing truth for narrative didn't work out in the favor of the filmmakers. Admittedly, I was no Queen expert going into this movie. I went into the theater as a hugeThis film is a good example of where the "Hollywood" sensibility of sacrificing truth for narrative didn't work out in the favor of the filmmakers. Admittedly, I was no Queen expert going into this movie. I went into the theater as a huge fan of the music while lacking a broader knowledge of the band's history. Having said that, I couldn't shake the feeling that almost all the thematic and narrative choices in this movie were just that, intentional choices made by the filmmakers to tell a mostly fictional story. Doing a quick Youtube search after viewing proved my instincts correct. The worst part about their trade of truth for story? The story just wasn't all that good. While never really giving a chance for anything to be fully fleshed out, the filmmakers attempted to show Mercury as a superhuman talent, a larger than life personality, and a flawed but tragic individual all while ham fisting wonderful songs into oddly fitting "origin stories" because it fit some executive's formula for a biopic. The two saving graces of this picture are the casting and the music. Although, Malek is shamefully underutilized as Freddie Mercury, he does get several chances to shine through and rise above this mirky money grab to show you what could have been. Speaking to the second saving grace... if the best thing about a movie is the catalog of music that inspired anyone to care about the topic matter in the first place, wouldn't you rather just listen to the music? Yeah, me too. Expand
AaronRadcliffNov 2, 2018
Naturally great music and a stellar performance by Rami Malek aren't enough to carry what is ultimately a self-aggrandizing CliffsNotes take on one of music's greatest talents
Carol_reviewsApr 22, 2019
If ever Disney decided on making a rock biopic this would be it; a sanitized fairy-tale about one the greatest rock bands and frontmen in history. Neither good or bad the film crafts their greatest hits and Wikipedia facts into one easy toIf ever Disney decided on making a rock biopic this would be it; a sanitized fairy-tale about one the greatest rock bands and frontmen in history. Neither good or bad the film crafts their greatest hits and Wikipedia facts into one easy to swallow happy meal. Big on nostalgia, a bit short on the actual grit that goes in to becoming a band of such magnitude. Expand
JoeCoolMay 14, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody is quite a dissappointment. The music is the only thing worth listening to and there's just not enough of it. The portrayal of Freddy Mercury is seriously off and the movie falls flat because of it. It's like the survivingBohemian Rhapsody is quite a dissappointment. The music is the only thing worth listening to and there's just not enough of it. The portrayal of Freddy Mercury is seriously off and the movie falls flat because of it. It's like the surviving band members want to put Freddy down after having lived in his shadow during the meaningful part of their carreers. While some of what we see may be true, it does not make the movie enjoyable to watch. The historical inaccuracies make everything you see highly questionable. Telling their truth and then telling things that are blattantly wrong do not go well together.

I can't believe all these 10's in the User ratings. These inflated user ratings undermine the credibility of the site.
imthenoobJan 16, 2019
Malek does a fantastic job but he's not good enough to carry the film on his own. It very much does downplay his sexuality and they certainly do take quite a few "liberties" by twisting what really happen in order to fit a better storytellingMalek does a fantastic job but he's not good enough to carry the film on his own. It very much does downplay his sexuality and they certainly do take quite a few "liberties" by twisting what really happen in order to fit a better storytelling narrative, Which is quite annoying and disappointing considering how well known Freddie's story is.

And there really is no sense of drama in this movie. It doesn't come off as emotional or captivating. It can be entertaining enough to sit through but I feel like it just doesn't do Freddie Mercury justice in telling his life story as they really just glance over his upbringing and his rise to fame in face of just short snippets of their famous songs.
AndremaxFeb 4, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody has some fails, but nothing that gets close for its biggest defect: it's absolutely innocuous. Based in ascension-decadence-ascension (although Freddie Mercury's death), movie's formula couldn't be more basic. Some dataBohemian Rhapsody has some fails, but nothing that gets close for its biggest defect: it's absolutely innocuous. Based in ascension-decadence-ascension (although Freddie Mercury's death), movie's formula couldn't be more basic. Some data about band's origins and dates are wrong, formulaic image of bigger-than-world ego about Freddie Mercury are some example of mistakes. In another side, soundtrack is excellent (obviously Queen's songs) and movie can holds viewer and somehow teases its curiosity. Between mistakes and goals, almost everything are submerse in a kind of plot indefatigably repeated by cinema's industry. Expand
nanog50Jan 2, 2019
I really enjoyed this film, the casting is one of the best i've seen in a while, but i found so many mistakes in this film that I can't give it a better user score, I found the characters so underdeveloped,and the story too "happyish" to beI really enjoyed this film, the casting is one of the best i've seen in a while, but i found so many mistakes in this film that I can't give it a better user score, I found the characters so underdeveloped,and the story too "happyish" to be true. If i didn't love Queen so much I don't think I would be really attached to the characters (and in this case my attachment to the characters was really reduced to Rami Malek's performance as Freddie) Expand
KeithDowNov 15, 2018
'Bohemian Rhapsody' is ... nice. Whenever I describe something as being "nice" it's done through clenched teeth. The truth is that I've never gotten over the fact that Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play Freddie Mercury while, in turn,'Bohemian Rhapsody' is ... nice. Whenever I describe something as being "nice" it's done through clenched teeth. The truth is that I've never gotten over the fact that Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play Freddie Mercury while, in turn, providing a gritty and unambiguously honest re-telling of the history of the band--warts and all. Of course, the surviving members of Queen would have none of that, so Cohen abandoned ship and the glossy, paint-by-numbers result is what we now have to live with.

It isn't all bad. It isn't even mostly bad. Queen's music and the concert segments are enough to power this biopic through most of my criticisms. Furthermore, Rami Malek did a great job leading this project through to fruition (you can google how much of a disaster Bryan Singer was while directing the film, nearly de-railing it entirely).

To this point, Sheila O'Malley provides a great review via RogerEbert.com in which she summarizes her feelings thusly:

"Malek taps into Mercury's ferocious energy, particularly in the concert sequences, all of which give you the electric sense of what it might have been like to be there in person. The single star of this review is for Malek's performance."
cameronhalmansJan 9, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody is the one of the most shallow and annoying films I have seen in awhile, not to mention, factually incorrect. Just Queen fan service.

LamontRaymondNov 2, 2018
I've never seen a movie quite like this before, and I've seen all the music docs. It starts out really well, and then gets incredibly boring in the middle third, before finishing in triumphant fashion. I'm not sure that moviegoers whoI've never seen a movie quite like this before, and I've seen all the music docs. It starts out really well, and then gets incredibly boring in the middle third, before finishing in triumphant fashion. I'm not sure that moviegoers who weren't music fans during Live Aid (1985) will appreciate it nearly as much - that was an incredible day. I agree with the critics in general that the songs are pretty much the entire film. The connective tissue between them is average at best. This movie makes Control (the Joy Division movie) look like high art. Expand
MrMovieBuffNov 2, 2018
What makes 'Bohemian Rhapsody' a well-made biopic is its unrestrained look at the personal life of its main character, what stops it from being a truly great biopic is its rather mellow and simple exploration of certain themes, especiallyWhat makes 'Bohemian Rhapsody' a well-made biopic is its unrestrained look at the personal life of its main character, what stops it from being a truly great biopic is its rather mellow and simple exploration of certain themes, especially since its supporting characters all feel the same just to make its central focus stand out that much more. Rami Malek portrays the musical legend Freddy Mercury in a very convincing and committed performance (one that I'm sure might even land him an Oscar nomination). He lives a very typical and peaceful life with his family and one day he goes to a college club where a band performs and he thinks he has what it takes. He meets the band members; Brian May (Gwilym Lee), Roger Taylor (Ben Hardy) and John Deacon (Joseph Mazzello) and he shows them what he's capable of. He joins the band as their lead singer, and despite his Asian background and his teeth abnormality, his image is outweighed by his charisma and lead performance to wow the crowd. Freddie believes that he can take this band further by finding them an agent and signing a record contract and giving them the ability to record any song they wish. Their ambitions are always limited whether it's because the band itself constantly disagree on many things, or that their managers and record companies say that they can't release certain songs because of many concerns including the length and confusing names that may not catch on. They come across many obstacles in their early career, but manage to get their message spread across. The film also focuses on Mercury's sexuality, as he tells his girlfrend, Mary (Lucy Boynton) that he wants to marry her one day, but she figures out time after time that he is gay. Freddie tries to deny this but he can't seem to stop himself each time he comes across a man who appreciates him for who he is. Overall, this film is great if you are a fan of Queen and are interested in the story of how they became one of the most groundbreaking bands of all time. Despite some clunky direction and maybe even some historical inaccuracies, this movie works if you really care about it. Malek shines the most as the lead singer, and the film's final act - despite a very dragging second act - is definitely worth sitting through, it's craftsmanship is amazing and you will feel like you were just a part of history. The production design and cinematography alone make this worth watching on the big screen. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' the movie may not come close to the song of a similar name, but when it gets good, it's alive. Expand
sensorglitchNov 3, 2018
"Whatever you do, don't make me boring..." - those are the famouse words of Freddie Mercury. They did it, they made him boring. They took out everything that was really outrageous and interesting, and they dulled it down into a pg-13, media"Whatever you do, don't make me boring..." - those are the famouse words of Freddie Mercury. They did it, they made him boring. They took out everything that was really outrageous and interesting, and they dulled it down into a pg-13, media friendly borefest in which they tried to cram too many storylines together rather than really saying anything. All of the points of this film which you can tell were supposed to have emotional impact, just didn't old anything interesting. It was a terribly artfully done film. Expand
angelijo1Nov 16, 2018
This movie is the definition of all surface no substance. It is a by the books biopic that offers nothing new to the genre, and skips over a lot of dark and gritty aspects of the life of Freddie Mercury. It is also paced like a snail which isThis movie is the definition of all surface no substance. It is a by the books biopic that offers nothing new to the genre, and skips over a lot of dark and gritty aspects of the life of Freddie Mercury. It is also paced like a snail which is something I was not expecting going into it. From time to time I caught myself nodding off and damn near fell asleep anytime there was a scene between Freddie and Mary. The performance by Rami Malek was fine, but felt more like a caricature than anything else. A lot of that has to do with those awful teeth he wears in the film. Watch footage of the real Freddie Mercury and you will see he has an overbite, but this movie went overboard with it. The concert scenes are very entertaining, but most of that credit goes to the wonderful songs composed by Queen, and not to the filmmakers. I wish the studio would have gone with the Sasha Baron Cohen Freddie Mercury biopic, because I feel he would have done a much more honest portrayal. It's a shame such an interesting person and groundbreaking band got such a lame by the books movie made about them. Expand
tropicAcesNov 2, 2018
A group of outcasts from the late 20th century come together and rewrite the rules about what’s possible with music, only to have their leader struck down in his prime by AIDS. I just described “Straight Outta Compton,” a great movie. This isA group of outcasts from the late 20th century come together and rewrite the rules about what’s possible with music, only to have their leader struck down in his prime by AIDS. I just described “Straight Outta Compton,” a great movie. This is not that, because it makes things up and plays it safe. Expand
amheretojudgeNov 2, 2018
it drags, leaps and skips..

Bohemian Rhapsody Singer's adaptation of the ups and downs of Freddie Mercury and the infamous Queens, is barely of the quality that their music was. This is an unstable feature. Fumbling down the road, it drags,
it drags, leaps and skips..

Bohemian Rhapsody

Singer's adaptation of the ups and downs of Freddie Mercury and the infamous Queens, is barely of the quality that their music was. This is an unstable feature. Fumbling down the road, it drags, leaps and skips out all the crispy and husky bits that actually makes it appetizing. There are only few genuine moments that gives you the electrifying feeling of the stage and that too can only be achieved if the audience reaches out for the makers. It doesn't serve you its thrills and chills like it should.

It makes you work hard for it. It makes you earn its sweet and juicy moments. It is a very difficult feature to watch. The uncomfortable in the uncertainty that the entire trajectory is covered under, itches you till the last frame of the feature. It is so bizarrely confined in its world that it never grows beyond its frizzy bubble. Even the last act, to which the entire feature builds up to, is so under pressure that it collapse before it even builds itself up.

Singer is working so hard to make your feet groove that you can practically watch him sweat behind the screen. And that is so not a delightful sight to encounter. And in that ten to twelve minutes of a sequence, he barely draws out a nod from the viewers. The rest of the personal experiences of Freddie Mercury that is depicted in here, is so non cinematic that none of the drama conveys the message clearly. Again, it is so poorly constructed and written with such dull skills, that it comes off as two guys sharing the moments by reminiscing about it and they neither care nor feels to share the actual momentum of that chapter.

The first act is your usual rise and fame dipped with mistakes and hints imputed by tiny innuendos that would give away the rest of the act. And the middle one, are just series of events that you have already predicted, being performed and projected with none whatsoever energy or enthusiasm from the makers. The editing is the major conundrum of the feature. It is not well shot or molded out. It is benign and juvenile at times, that it looks like it is mocking its own concept. It takes its material for granted and fails to communicate the gravitas of that feeling or moment. Malek is investing all his chips in. And you can point that out easily. His study on the lead singer of the Queen is plausible and way too technical.

It is so mechanical that it is left out a bit dry. There is no depth in his eyes, it is always calculative. He doesn't go with the flow. He is measuring the crust of his performance which makes it less and less shallow. He has given enough range by the writers, McCarten and Morgan, to flaunt his skills and create a powerful impact on the viewers, but at those times the feature grows weak. Bohemian Rhapsody should have had the performance of the year and should have been the musical of the year, at least it had the potential to, but it's nothing more than a swing and a miss.
GreatMartinNov 6, 2018
The main and possibly only reason to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the performance of Rami Malek though some people familiar with the band Queen and their music might enjoy it for that reason though very seldom do you hear a complete song sungThe main and possibly only reason to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the performance of Rami Malek though some people familiar with the band Queen and their music might enjoy it for that reason though very seldom do you hear a complete song sung at one time.
What made Freddie Mercury the 'boss' of what Queen did? Yes, his outfits were 'out there' but Cher and Elton John did them first. Was the fact of his extra incisors, as he claims, gave him a four-octave vocal range make him the star he became? there are a lot of questions you are left with after the movie is over because basically "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the same as most Hollywood biographies of musicians from drug scenes to people taking advantage of them and groupies feeding off their fame.
There is a look at his family at the beginning with the back story of his family emigrating from Zanzibar when he was a young boy and the Hollywood ending about them at the end. Though Freddie seems to have had a deep relationship with Mary Austin, played by Lucy Boynton, becoming engaged, this was a storyline that could have diverted the film from just another 'bio' but that could have been caused by the film changing directors and, possibly, direction of the story by Anthony McCarten and Peter Morgan with McCarten writing the screenplay. At the same time, Queen's guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor supplied the stories about the band which may have been skewered to show them in a better light.
The handling of Mercury's having AIDS and his being gay are handled as if all gays go to backrooms in bars, have orgies, do drugs, just as most movies show the same. There are strong performances from Gwlym Lee as Brian May, Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor and Joseph Mazzello as the band members, Allen Leech as Freddie's personal assistant who betrays him,Aaron McCusker as a bright light in the singer's life, Mike Myers, almost unrecognizable, as a man who didn't understand what Mercury wanted to accomplish, among other actors.
The bottom line is that if you are a Queen fan, like their music and want to see Rami Malek in what is certainly an Oscar-nominated performance then "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a film to see. The reenactment of their Live Aid performance is really engaging camera work by Newton Thomas Sigel.

PS To tell the truth I only vaguely heard of Queen, was a wee bit more familiar with Freddie Mercury and can only remember hearing 2-3 of their songs usually on the soundtrack of a movie or covered by someone else.
TrevorsViewJan 24, 2019
Rhapsody (noun) rhap·​so·​dy | ˈrap-sə-dē: An epic poem

Rhapsody (noun) rhap·​so·​dy | ˈrap-sə-dē: An epic poem

Who’s your neighbor exactly? Is it your own bliss? Bzzzttt, WRONG. It’s not the box office hit that the Oscars chose to love. The Academy of Motion Pictures made some crucial nominations, which concluded that the honored recognition above all else must land on… Bohemian Rhapsody. Not that it automatically presses the attempted “love your neighbor” message you may read in some green book of poems. The academy wants to celebrate love, yet they don’t know what love even means. Bohemian Rhapsody preaches just the opposite: it wants you to walk out of the sky-painted wall after saying to all who was there for you:

“Good afternoon, good evening, and good night.”

As much as it celebrates the works of Freddie Mercury, it really just educates you on three things: his materialism, his lack of sympathy, and the lack of sympathy he got from others! You get a glimpse of him singing: “Happy birthday to me.“

Meanwhile, his parents are ‘round the dining room table to reminisce through little Freddie’s old childhood photos. The next thing that happens is really quite grim, Mr. Bulsara changes his last name legally, then he leaves his mom and dad and joins a band of three misfits! Now, these band members try their best to always stay together, but as coins clatter on a drum and the colors they wear clash, nobody of any age will watch this with a moral eye.

This two-plus hour special from eighties-MTV has far too much love for its big, dramatic montages. It shows the bad reviews projected when the band’s tune premiered, an artistic decision doesn’t aid the film’s tension. As Freddie’s fame takes off and his colleagues are dumbed down, his passive girlfriend, Mary, gets the worst of it—She’s BLANK. She’s BLAND. She’s got no IDENTITY. This film tries to crank Freddie’s stress all the way up to eleven, yet it can’t even decide what it really wants to say. Say what? All about the me-di-a! Why, when Freddie’s being interviewed by cameras and clipboards, some bulbous closeups stress his face but can’t tell you his motive. Are the ones behind the cameras crucial to a man’s success? Detrimental? Both? Does it even matter? The film’s mere existence is 100 percent superfluous, which you’ll feel once a pompus live performance overstays its welcome.

At least director Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, X-Men) humanizes Queen’s fans as much as he can. The finale crowd of Live Aid waves their beige arms in the air like a sea of muddy water from the bowls of Freddie’s cats. To go a little deeper, Mercury’s mere introduction is solid ‘nuff to prep the way for Rami Malek’s (The Master, Mr. Robot) pride. With the focus on his moustache trimmer, that before/after comparison intrigues you to see Freddie Mercury’s predicament; especially when he first meets Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon. At first, they each despise him because his teeth stick out of his face. Although it doesn’t matter, ‘cuz his teeth actually look great!

Some more crowd-pleasing moments include this one simple shot: a sound/editing transition when a rooster crows… GALILEO!!!!! It happens right before a scene of recording that one line… over… and over… and over… and over… It’s a very funny scene that will give a good laugh, and for the viewers who grew up with Queen, they’ll love to see this: The origin of Freddie’s trademark microphone stance after failing to unhook his mike at an early concert. Plus, a “Somebody to love” montage about some concert prep makes a sink drain turn into an actual satellite.

Yet these elements designed to win over you are just not worth the hassle because the details are breezed over. Screenwriter Anthony McCarten (The Theory of Everything) tells us no motivation behind any song lyrics, unless by the dictionary. The lack of helpful info goes to the band as well, as they seldom act like true brothers, nor do other countries. Just look at the stingy Americans in this picture: they believe the song will bomb and won’t give it a chance.

NOBODY, and NOTHING, in this film is as important to these filmmakers as letting Freddie Mercury brag about being able to play the piano upside down. As a result, the fame he won was lost when he died. To obtain a freedom comparable to this disgraceful man, know that a neighbor is actually whomever you allow in your life, not your own pompous celebration, party of one. If Fred Rogers was alive today and saw what won Best Motion Picture (Drama) in 2019, he would cry.
JLuis_001Nov 2, 2018
An incredibly painful disappointment. I had high hopes and great expectations for Bohemian Rhapsody but unfortunately this biopic simply revels in its own ego turning into a few minutes of footage monumental moments of the band.

We have to

We have to be honest, you cannot compress a story like Queen's in 120 minutes. A story like that of Freddie Mercury and worse, I understand they don't focus on certain elements but they really only give less than 10 minutes to the creation of the song that gives the title to the film?

Rami Malek tries and he's the real support of this film but his performance is not great or memorable. His accent sounds quite fake and forced.
I have to say his performance isn't bad but he never manages to channel Mercury's personality.

The final part also disappointed me enough because it resorts to cheap sentimentality when the film reaches the point where Freddie finds out about his illness and when he shares it with his bandmates and especially focusing the final sequence on his Live Aid performance which it's exciting but when it ends, it ends abruptly and the film ends like that and to be honest what stays with you at the end of this film, is the feeling that it was just a simple opportunity to add a film to the name of the band.

About the comments that people is doing now of Sacha Baron Cohen's version which was more focused on sordid aspects of Mercury's private life, I can only say that I'm indifferent to it. The private life of any musician that I like doesn't matter to me at all, what matters to me is their work.
LivingTribunalDec 26, 2018
Great soundtracks, but lack of story. If you wonder why, then consider this. This film has bad stereotypes about gays, changing too many facts, no story of how people started to like bohemian rhapsody, cutting scenes when people is getting hyped.
MaxPeskyJan 1, 2019
I'll Love this Movie So Much, You Should See this Movie In Any Movie Theaters Like Event Cinemas, AMC Theaters, HOYTS And Any Cinemas In Any Countries, It's Good And Inspired, In New Year Eve, Me, Mum, Chloe And Dad Went to See this Movie AtI'll Love this Movie So Much, You Should See this Movie In Any Movie Theaters Like Event Cinemas, AMC Theaters, HOYTS And Any Cinemas In Any Countries, It's Good And Inspired, In New Year Eve, Me, Mum, Chloe And Dad Went to See this Movie At HOYTS Greenhills, And It's was Inspiring And Amazing, PLEASE SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!! Expand
MaxPayneIsGodJun 3, 2019
It was alright, obviously nothing shocking or unexpected. I finished it hoping that the scenes with the various song origins were accurate. Other than that, I was pretty underwhelmed. Not a bad movie, but nothing special either.
Good
Good performances all round, especially the 4 band members.
Solid 6, wouldn't run around recommending it.
PipeCFeb 17, 2019
“This is where the operatic section comes in!"

“This is where the operatic section comes in!"

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is the most boisterous biopic of the season, the most controversial of the last few years as well, do not though, look at these factors in a good way. Going from awards, nominations, and arbitrary, ceaseless accolades coming from the industry to unsafe firings, serious uproars around the private life of those involved in the movie and harshly mixed opinions between critics, moviegoers and 'Queen' lovers. The music-related cinematic event of the year doesn't go beyond the conventional story of ascent and fall, vice and fame, money-fueled madness and redemption; a frivolous apology that disappointingly gets sidetracked by the shiniest banalities and the primal artistic, personal dilemmas of both Mercury and May, Taylor and Deacon; this flick isn't a true-blue hit, trust me.

Let's be honest: the film is pure entertainment, a noisy and shallow spectacle taking advantage of each one of the most emblematic hits of the British band, simulating to deal with the recreations of their properly iconic video clips and striving to deliver unknown answers to the questions about the vicious existence of the Queen frontman. Finding matches in the portrait of real-life footage is entertaining, such as the "I Want to Break Free" music video or its gargantuan finale, however, with a two-hour-plus runtime, is it right to be okay with this, when the brand 'Queen' is involved? I don't think so. First and foremost, Rami Malek's the only true winner among all this chaos. Malek's Freddie Mercury. The American actor has come up with the role people will recognize him for from now on, not only because of the celebrity he portrays but the fiercely impressive performance he acts proudly on the screen. He's not merely imitating the most representative mannerisms of the outlandish singer, he understands carefully the psychology of a man turned into a legend, he does justice to his role even if the lifeless, sanitized script threatens to mess it up. The way he dances and behaves, his voice in the most ordinary dialogs, the expressiveness of his gaze, the inner struggle to find who he truly is, every detail his performance is composed with, beyond the most discussed such as the fabulous voice — a vocal amalgam between the actor, Mercury himself and Christian rock musician Marc Martel — is what enriches and makes it — with the permission of Christian Bale and Willem Dafoe — the best performance in a mainstream film by an actor in 2018. A tough call is to choose which would be the best interpretation between Malek's brilliant performance or the supposedly raw by Baron Cohen. Regardless of your choice, we'd probably have a mind-bending Mercury in front of us. Having said that, the lead man's brutal showcase aside, some factually-based re-creations are deftly realistic, notably two quick-witted music-videos incorporations and the monumental, unforgettable closing sequence at Wembley Stadium. To say that the 1985's Live Aid re-creation, such a symbolic, meaningful 20-minute performance for the history of rock music, is perfect would be a whopper of a lie; by being gratefully long, its pace and rhythm tend to drop constantly, the editing work is respectful but some cheap CGI crowds and quick cuts feel plainly contrived. The 80s', as an eye-catching and helpful visual and narrative resource, are depicted in a lackluster but congruent way, the compositions lack energy and spark even speaking about a time where color and brightness were in its greatest splendor. Directed flat-out by Bryan Singer and replaced during the last days of shooting by Dexter Fletcher, the film is not artistically daring, provocative or inspiring, is freely faithful and straightforward, bombastic when it shouldn't, slow-paced and off-and-on when ironically the most gigantic spectacle must come up. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Bryan Singer and certainly polished by Dexter Fletcher is not, by no means, the "Queen" definitive biopic, nor it is Freddie Mercury's. In short, a conventionally entertaining biographical film only aimed by Rami Malek's pitch-perfect performance. 20th Century Fox's turbulent production will once again make the British band's iconic anthems popular, will once again bring the leading man into the spotlight, will have thousands of angry fans and will please the less fussy ones on the legacy of a group of visionaries who has long been a crucial part in the history of rock music. With a strong supporting cast — especially Lucy Boynton and Ben Hardy, — the all-time great musical support, some impressive re-creations and a performance by Malek for the ages, "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not a boring time at the movies, is an artistic composition that fails on most of its fronts; a look-over as superficial as diluted through the lifetime of five men who found in freedom of expression, queer spirit, togetherness and unique personalities a safe space for perennial memory.
CineAutoctonoDec 22, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody had brought us not only the story well told of Freddy Mercury but also of Queen band and their most memorable songs, although the story is slow, the performances are very good, especially Rami Malek´s performance as Freddie,Bohemian Rhapsody had brought us not only the story well told of Freddy Mercury but also of Queen band and their most memorable songs, although the story is slow, the performances are very good, especially Rami Malek´s performance as Freddie, it could not be excellent but is very good and underrated. Expand
YorkManNov 28, 2018
Queen... One of the most iconic bands of the 70s. Fronted by a man of immense charisma, whose voice strikingly unique, and whose intense personal issues can be heard in many of the band's signature tunes.
A biopic of Queen would be
A biopic of Queen would be impossible, the four band members all have their own story to tell, so it makes sense the filmmakers would concentrate the narrative around Freddie Mercury and take the audience on a tour through 15 years of his (and to a lesser degree the band's) life.
However, there are some fundamental issues with the movie.
First off is the filmmaker's decision for BR to be a 'family' film, in terms of the rating it was given (PG-13 in the States, 12A over here in the UK). Whilst I'm sure this will undoubtedly increase the profit-making potential of the film, it severely restricts what can (and can't) be shown.
Queen, as a band, were one of the most debauched in rock history. Their partying, drinking, drug taking, sexual exploits were all legendary. This was especially true of Mercury who, whilst not openly admitting to being gay, was well known for his sexual attraction/preference for men.
So, you get none of that, beyond what is subtly alluded to.
There's no swearing, because we all know how rock stars hated profanity!
No one smokes... Which makes the whole film particularly hard to take seriously!

Second is the unbelievable amount of 'artistic licence' used in the film. Made up characters, made up events, mistakes in the chronology... The list is extensive!
Some would argue that you can't fit 15 years of history into a 135 minutes long film, and that is perfectly true. So you prioritise the events, show the audience the important things that they can take away and understand, and discuss.
There's no need to dwell on the mundanities of Freddie's interpersonal relationships, just as more time should have been given to the creation of the Band's music.
Nor is there any point in adding fictitious tensions that only serve to give the movie's finale a completely different context.

From an acting point of view Rami Malek is decent enough as Freddie. But whilst his scenes as Freddie the 'person' are good... His scenes as Freddie the 'persona' (on-stage etc) are not good.
The problem is that Malek is recreating footage which is already out there, and lip-syncing to Mercury's recorded vocals. I can understand why they had to do that, as Malek can't sing like Freddie did... However, there are singers out there who can impersonate his singing voice and style. I'd have been more convinced if they'd tried to put some performances together from shows which weren't filmed at the time, and maybe ad-libbed things to make it less homogenised.
The rest of the band is actually better, in terms of the acting performances. But they all clearly know the boundaries.
The soundtrack is one of the film's weakest areas. For a film set in one of the best periods for music, the music in the film is far too 'background' outside the Queen performances.
One thing that is brilliant though is the use of CGI and how it blends so seamlessly. Extended tracking shots, crowd scenes etc.. You know it can't be real, but it is excellently done.

So, I've given the film a 5. It IS entertaining, and what you'd expect from a Biopic that has 2 bandmembers as producers/consultants. It either glosses over, or completely omits, the more dubious events that band went through. There is also a sense of glorifying Freddie, even though in real life he wasn't a particularly nice person... Which again, exalts the 'legend' despite the film being marketed as a way to understand Who Freddie Mercury was.
QuijoteJan 26, 2019
Awesome but it's sad that all the greatness the Innuendo final part of their career could have given to the film is missing. The final scene should have been something incredible based on The Show Must Go On. It's lacking drama and sadness,Awesome but it's sad that all the greatness the Innuendo final part of their career could have given to the film is missing. The final scene should have been something incredible based on The Show Must Go On. It's lacking drama and sadness, but its intention wasn't that, so the film triumphs in tis way. Expand
TheHatingManNov 15, 2018
It does not exist, nor will there be a movie that does Queen justice. It has a rhythm, but this not Queen.
Isaac77Jan 5, 2020
Pretty incredible movie and yes for the most part it revolves around Freddie Mercury but for good reason. On stage he was electric embracing that larger than life persona of a rock star even as his life seemed to crumble before him. And RamiPretty incredible movie and yes for the most part it revolves around Freddie Mercury but for good reason. On stage he was electric embracing that larger than life persona of a rock star even as his life seemed to crumble before him. And Rami Malek captured the essence of Freddie Metcury. essence Expand
MayfieldjaFeb 18, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody gives us a stellar performance by Rami Malek but overall leans too much on nostalgia and a killer soundtrack to support a mediocre script and muddled storytelling. I would have liked less footage of Queen playing on stageBohemian Rhapsody gives us a stellar performance by Rami Malek but overall leans too much on nostalgia and a killer soundtrack to support a mediocre script and muddled storytelling. I would have liked less footage of Queen playing on stage and a more in-depth look at what was happening behind the music. This movie plays less like a biopic and more like a 2-hour music video. You’ll find yourself enjoying the music but that’s really about it. 6 out of 10 Expand
eberman123Nov 24, 2018
This movie is ok, but could have been much better. The music and music scenes are amazing. The acting is fine but the script is depressing and harsh on Mercury's legacy. Was Mercury's only positive point his music or was he always an a++?
jaredwallace91Nov 5, 2018
A missed opportunity. The film is able to capture each band members personalities perfectly, bit fails to use that to any storytelling advantage. Freddie Mercury deserves better.
AMFcriticNov 11, 2018
The first half is a lot of moments united only to reach the second half, which has more coherence when it comes to telling the story.
The end is intense and exciting, it has you on the edge of the seat at all times. 7.7 / 10
4Nick3Feb 17, 2019
While Bohemian Rhapsody can be enjoyable, it falls flat on many levels. It follows your A->Z biopic formula that we have all seen too many times. The film doesn't take many risks and tends to lose itself in telling a basic story than actuallyWhile Bohemian Rhapsody can be enjoyable, it falls flat on many levels. It follows your A->Z biopic formula that we have all seen too many times. The film doesn't take many risks and tends to lose itself in telling a basic story than actually having an effect on anyone watching it. The only reason people enjoyed this film is because of Queen's music and an amazing lead by Remi Malek. Bohemian Rhapsody is simple, bland, and can be quite boring as it takes a basic formula and does nothing with it, besides follow it.

5.8/10
Slovenly_MuseFeb 9, 2019
"Bohemian Rhapsody" wanders through many moments from the history of Freddie Mercury and Queen, without a real sense of narrative direction, purpose, or artistic point of view. Rami Malek's performance is impressive, although frustratingly"Bohemian Rhapsody" wanders through many moments from the history of Freddie Mercury and Queen, without a real sense of narrative direction, purpose, or artistic point of view. Rami Malek's performance is impressive, although frustratingly hampered by prosthetic teeth. Like "The Disaster Artist" this biopic shies away from more challenging or interesting truths due to the overinvolvement of one of its subjects in crafting the story. The music of Queen is the most enjoyable thing about this movie, which, as crutches go, is a pretty damn good one. Expand
Vitor007Nov 10, 2018
"Bohemian Rhapsody " brings a perspective that many already knew. Unfortunately, his script does not have a good conflict, leaving important things (such as the singing of Freddie Mercury, the use of drugs and how he left us) are completely"Bohemian Rhapsody " brings a perspective that many already knew. Unfortunately, his script does not have a good conflict, leaving important things (such as the singing of Freddie Mercury, the use of drugs and how he left us) are completely forced or misunderstood. Your ending gets annoying. However, its good characterization both in the scenarios and in the characters makes it a unique experience for Queen fans. 6.5/10 Expand
fonzeaNov 24, 2018
Being a lifelong fan of Queen, I went into the cinema with high hopes for the project.

The film isn't a masterpiece, but it's certainly not a failure. Much like with their own contemporary reviews, Queen's traversal into the movie sphere has divided critics but garnered a huge following.

With most of the project having been directed by Bryan Singer, it has his signature over-reliance on digital effects in parts. The sets and outfits can sometimes feel too crisp and pristine and sometimes detract from the authenticity of the era they are portraying.

However, the film does follow the band's history rather well, albeit at a break-neck pace at times. Some with some rearrangements of events and certain parts of their history either omitted or made up, it's important to view the project as a film and not a documentary.

The cast are absolutely fantastic and very authentic, with particular praise to Lucy Boynton and Rami Malek for their respective roles as Mary Austin and Freddie Mercury.

The film really does shine in it's depiction of their creative process and performance of their most well-known songs. Whether these parts are entertaining in their own right or because of the quality of their music is difficult to determine, but it's entertaining none the less.

In conclusion the film is certainly worth viewing, especially with teenagers who otherwise would not have been exposed to their music before. It hits many high notes, and crashes on a few, but that is what Queen have always been known for.
LittleWing_Nov 7, 2018
Telling the story of the most extraordinary character ever with a cliche movie.
acdoyleNov 9, 2018
While the lead is excellent, and an obvious Best Actor contender.....and the stick figures supporting him as band members and promoters and a girlfriend then friend are all pretty good, the narrative drags, and is terribly formulaic. TheWhile the lead is excellent, and an obvious Best Actor contender.....and the stick figures supporting him as band members and promoters and a girlfriend then friend are all pretty good, the narrative drags, and is terribly formulaic. The songs seem to have little relation to the plot, except for the title song, and seem to be filler, just stuff we've all heardf 4500 times trotted out to remind us that Queen had a lot of big hits. Almost all of the emoptional drama is utterly contrived and predictable. I enjoyed the movie overall, and of course Queen fans should see it, but this is a mediocre biopic, dwarfed by much better rock movies such as Ray and The Doors, not to mention Gimme Shelter or The Last Waltz. Entertaining, but ultimately forgettable. Expand
ahmedaiman1999Feb 5, 2019
Sorry I want an actual movie to review, not some scattered and very brief chapters consists of events and facts stacked on top of each other using some outdated techniques.

Two stars for the palatial and splendid production design, Rami

Two stars for the palatial and splendid production design, Rami Malek's fine performance, and, above all, the sequences that allowed me to experience Queen's music being presented. Most noteworthy is, of course, the epic Live Aid concert; that almost redeemed the whole "movie". If it it hadn’t been for this phenomenal concert sequence, this "movie", that is undoubtedly unworthy of its name, would have left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, it's the only thing that doesn't seem fake.

Hands down the worst Best Picture nominee I've ever watched, and one of the worst movies of 2018. But what's really getting on my nerves is that this fragmentary incomplete thing is nominated for Best Achievement in Film Editing!

(4/10)
m15964Feb 16, 2019
All the critics summarized to this short sentence: Fredie deserves more than that. I expected to see more than this about what is behind the scenes of Queen band and Fredie personal life and what he (and the band) inspired from to write andAll the critics summarized to this short sentence: Fredie deserves more than that. I expected to see more than this about what is behind the scenes of Queen band and Fredie personal life and what he (and the band) inspired from to write and create songs and this kind of songwriting. Expand
AJGo85Feb 27, 2019
My enjoyment of Bohemian Rhapsody corresponded directly with whether or not a Queen song was being played. The big budget Freddie Mercury/Queen biopic is at its best during scenes of the band in the recording studio or performing on stage.My enjoyment of Bohemian Rhapsody corresponded directly with whether or not a Queen song was being played. The big budget Freddie Mercury/Queen biopic is at its best during scenes of the band in the recording studio or performing on stage. Rami Malek stars as Queen frontman Freddie Mercury. He emulates the way Mercury moved his body during performances and reproduces his captivating stage presence with a surprising degree of success. The scenes between the music, however, for Malek and everything else in the picture fall flat.

Queen was not an average band so it’s perplexing and flat out disappointing that the movie telling the story of the band and its flamboyant lead singer is so by the numbers and full of biopic clichés. Every scene feels like it has been transposed from any other musician biopic. There is the scene where the band has a rough start to a gig but wins over the audience. There is the scene of the lead singer being offered a solo album deal. There is the scene of a press conference where reporters only want to ask about the lead singer’s private life and not the new album. There is the scene of a record label executive telling the band that their most famous song will never be a hit. This scene is an eye-rolling low point mainly because the record executive who tells Queen that teenagers will never rock out to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in their cars is played by Mike Meyers (who starred in Wayne’s World where he famously rocked out to "Bohemian Rhapsody" in a car). There is even a scene where a fatal illness is signaled by a character coughing a few drops of blood on a tissue. This is the kind of biopic Bohemian Rhapsody is.

When he’s not imitating Mercury on stage, Rami Malek does a good enough job in the dramatic scenes but the oversized fake teeth he wears to look more like Mercury are distracting. Yes, Mercury did have a noticeable overbite but these false teeth make Malek look more like Bugs Bunny. The bland, basic biopic script doesn’t give Malek, or anyone else, much to work with in those dramatic non-music scenes. Mercury’s sexuality isn’t played down but it also isn’t fully explored. A montage of the band on tour (typical quick shots of tour buses, roaring crowds, etc.) shows Mercury, at the time married to Mary Austin (Lucy Boynton), glancing at and checking out other men. It’s unclear if Mercury is just looking at these men longingly or if he’s sleeping with them. The movie also never makes clear if the wolf-in-sheep’s-clothing record producer Paul (Allen Leech) is Mercury’s lover or just a hanger-on. We do get to see Mercury working through his inner struggles by composing some great songs, namely “Bohemian Rhapsody”.

The most original and exciting scene for me was the recording session of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” We see Brian May (Gwilym Lee) playing his guitar solo all alone in the empty barn serving as their recording studio. Then we cut to the rest of the band in the control room listening what the solo sounds like mixed with the rest of tracks. Mercury is like a conductor getting his bandmates to sing at the top of their vocal registers. First, they sing alone in the recording booth, then together, then all of those separate tracks are mixed together to create the final product. I once accompanied a musician friend when his band recorded in a real studio. This is exactly how a band records a song but I’d never seen a recording session portrayed this way until now.

There is a lot to tell in the story of Freddie Mercury and Queen so the movie rushes through the band’s beginnings—they’re signed to a record label and playing sold out tours in no time—to focus on Mercury’s personal struggles and the creation of several crowd-pleasing songs. Instead of feeling rushed, however, the movie still feels long and dragged out. The climax of the picture is Queen’s iconic performance at Wembley Stadium for Live Aide. Nearly their entire performance is recreated. This isn’t just the plot climax, it’s the emotional climax of the movie and I’ll admit to being overcome with the exact emotions the film was aiming to get out of me. Though as they played song after song I wondered, why not just show the real Live Aide footage? Despite being roasted by critics Bohemian Rhapsody was a box office hit finishing among the top grossing films of 2018 and it has picked up 5 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Rami Malek. I must admit I am baffled by the movie’s accolades and box office success. I presume that audiences and the people in charge of awards are responding to the great music of Queen and not the film itself. It certainly helps that the movie sends audiences out on the band’s most iconic performance of some of their best songs. But, you can get the same pathos and enjoyment from listening to Queen’s greatest hits and skipping the movie.
O_CriticoMar 27, 2019
Uma perca de tempo, comete erros cronologicos obvios e a historia e contada de um jeito horrível , ignorando as ordens dos fatos reais. Parece que pegaram o nome Queen, e fizeram um filme qualquer so para lucrarem em cima e como fã do Queen,Uma perca de tempo, comete erros cronologicos obvios e a historia e contada de um jeito horrível , ignorando as ordens dos fatos reais. Parece que pegaram o nome Queen, e fizeram um filme qualquer so para lucrarem em cima e como fã do Queen, fico frustrado e considero o filme uma piada Expand
AlinzparkJun 17, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody (★★★☆☆), directed by Brian Singer (The Usual Suspects) and written by Andrew McCarten, is a biographical film that chronicles the meteoric rise and eventual fall of the musical juggernaut that is Freddie Mercury and hisBohemian Rhapsody (★★★☆☆), directed by Brian Singer (The Usual Suspects) and written by Andrew McCarten, is a biographical film that chronicles the meteoric rise and eventual fall of the musical juggernaut that is Freddie Mercury and his band, Queen. The story follows Queen as the band progresses from a bar-playing novelty into one of the world’s most foremost acts and the story of the frontman Mercury coming to terms with his previously closeted homosexuality and conflicts associated with that.
The film stars Rami Malek (Mr. Robot) as Mercury, who delivers easily one of the strongest performances of the year as the rock star. While a simple SNL-style impression of the character would’ve been sufficient to a lesser actor, Malek plays the character with surprising depth, managing to completely disappear into the role; channeling Mercury with eerie accuracy. It is a known fact that actors tend to struggle with playing real people as failing to perfectly nail the figure’s mannerisms and voice can lead to a distracting disconnect between the audience and the story, so, needless to say, Malek needed to nail this performance, especially due to the fact that this movie, otherwise, is not very good.
While the script has a handful of memorable moments, with some scenes being unexpectedly hilarious and clever, the story overall falls flat on its face. McCarten constantly resorts to contrived plot conventions and story beats; making the story feel unforgivingly generic. When the script isn’t riding the line between greatness and mediocrity, it is boldly nosediving into complete incompetence. This is made most obvious when characters randomly burst into hammy monologues for seemingly no reason; oftentimes jerking the viewer out of the story due to how jarringly unnatural it feels. On a technical level, Rhapsody is perfectly adequate. The makeup work which transformed the actors into these real people is impressive, but by Hollywood standards, nothing to write home about. The camera work and film editing are visually interesting, but again, nothing too extraordinary. Even the direction by Brian Singer, who is usually an exceptional director, feels uncharacteristically flat and uninteresting. With all of these factors working against it, you’d think that Bohemian Rhapsody would be an arduous, unpleasant experience, but you’d be wrong. In fact, there’s a lot of enjoyment to found from this disaster of a movie. Rami Malek’s stellar performance coupled with the unsurprisingly amazing music work in conjunction with a couple of genuinely exciting scenes. At the end of the movie, in fact, there is a genuinely breathtaking final concert sequence that is guaranteed to leave any viewers breathless. Overall, it seems like the film is an enjoyable experience helped along by a fantastic leading performance, even if it never quite lives up to the incredible legacy of its subject.
ajzeg01Sep 21, 2019
Initially, I really enjoyed this movie, but the more I thought about it, I think it was mostly the music that you can just listen to on iTunes that made this movie so enjoyable and not really the film itself. The performances were fantastic,Initially, I really enjoyed this movie, but the more I thought about it, I think it was mostly the music that you can just listen to on iTunes that made this movie so enjoyable and not really the film itself. The performances were fantastic, but the movie as a whole is very standard and unremarkable. Also, the more I learned about the real story of the band Queen afterwards, the more I realized just how much this movie changed from the real story. So much so that it feels less like creative liberties were taken and more like history was being revised. That bothers me. Overall, this movie is worth seeing, most audiences will probably like it fine, but if you are a big Queen fan, I feel like this movie will be a disappointment for you. Expand
mr_cunilingusSep 9, 2020
Этот фильм пытался сделать меня геем, поэтому я его не смотрел, ара-ара-ара-ара-ара-ара-ара
ArealaveragejoeNov 18, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although the cgi in the Live Aid scene, I couldn’t really care less, the movie feels rushed and like a total cash grab, overhyped, and the story doesn’t really compel me, too much talking and just... ugh, don recommend it too much, but this does not downplay Queen’s Music at all. Honestly the best scene out of this film was the most memorable which was the Live Aid performance which was just *chef’s kiss* Expand
GeraldSprayJan 26, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie succeeds as entertainment, but fails as a biopic. The first problem is evident from the beginning. Sex and drugs were part of Freddie Mercury's lifestyle, and the PG-13 rating keeps these aspects to a minimum. I was also annoyed by the incorrect chronology. "Fat Bottomed Girls" plays during a scene set four years before it was released. Freddie is diagnosed with AIDS two years earlier than he was in real life, just to make the Live Aid concert more emotional. Speaking of the Live Aid concert, that is the final scene of the film. Nothing after 1985 is documented in this musical legend's life. The acting is convincing, and the editing is slick, but so what? "Bohemian Rhapsody" fails at what it was supposed to do as a film. Expand
ZenflarSep 3, 2021
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBbbbb Expand
spoofrrDec 2, 2021
Was expecting a lot more going into this movie, they miss out on a few key details in queen's story. Doesn't really do Queen justice. not great, not awful
y0urlorDec 26, 2021
Средний фильм, впринципи 6 это его оценка на 7 точно не дотягивает, мое мнение!