Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 2, 2018
Generally favorable reviews based on 1128 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
PerArduaAdPubNov 2, 2018
It's about legends. Whether or not this is a fair and accurate account of Freddie Mercury's life, I'm honestly not bothered. All I know is that the film electrified it's audience by putting the thrill of the greatest Rock and Roll performanceIt's about legends. Whether or not this is a fair and accurate account of Freddie Mercury's life, I'm honestly not bothered. All I know is that the film electrified it's audience by putting the thrill of the greatest Rock and Roll performance in history on the big screen. The elation stays with you after you leave the Cinema. Legendary! Expand
BrianMcCriticDec 1, 2018
This are plenty of moments of glamorous grandeur that you would hope to see from a film about the great Freddie Mercury. Those moments have the tendency to sweep you up and overwhelm you making you momentarily forget that the overall filmThis are plenty of moments of glamorous grandeur that you would hope to see from a film about the great Freddie Mercury. Those moments have the tendency to sweep you up and overwhelm you making you momentarily forget that the overall film lacks the depth or script to be great. Overall a low to solid 7 a B. Expand
MarkHReviewsDec 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is much like Queen itself: soaring transcendent music at times and questionable thematic choices at others ("Fat-Bottomed Girls," really?). The shame is that there's so much material to work with and Director Bryan Singer (best known for the X-Men series) does so little with it.

The most egregious oversight is any thoughtful exploration of Mercury himself. Mercury had a long-term, apparently heart-felt, relationship with Mary Austin (who inspired “Love of My Life”) before embarking on a series of relationships with men. While there is the broad suggestion that Mercury’s sexuality was considerably more complicated than a simple “coming out,” the topic remains unexplored. In general, Mercury’s emotional life, much like his rampant alcohol/drug abuse, goes unremarked in the screenplay. Director Singer seems to justify this choice by offering a scene where Mercury defends his privacy against a stereotypically prying press corps. Like the scene itself, it’s all a little jumbled and out of focus.

Even the Mercury vocals represent a curious choice. In fairness, it would be nearly impossible for any actor to replicate Mercury’s unique vocal style. However, when album tracks are not used, the creative team has used isolated master tracks of Mercury in the studio mashed up with tracks from Canadian Christian rock singer Marc Martel and, perhaps, others. It is unclear what Rami Malek, who plays Mercury, contributes. In one interview, Malek charitably describes the result as “an amalgamation of a few voices.”

Worst of all, this screenplay reduces a potentially fascinating story to an exercise in paint-by-numbers. The arc of the story is totally predictable: star rises from humble beginnings, achieves great success, becomes an arrogant jerk, has a flash of self-awareness and a moment of redemption just before the final credits roll. In service of this trope, several facts are omitted or alternative facts created. SPOILER ALERT: The screenplay depicts Queen’s 1985 participation in Live Aid at Wembley Stadium as Mercury’s act of final redemption following his diagnosis. Inconveniently, Mercury was not diagnosed as HIV+ until well after the event.

Having said all that, when the music rolls, wow! It is majestic, sweeping, moving, transcendent. Queen offers a soundtrack of the 70’s and 80’s. “We Are the Champions,” “Somebody to Love,” “We Will Rock You,” and so many more. The catalog is lengthy and this show does them full justice, even occasionally offering insight into the creative process behind anthems many of us have hummed for decades. The director and performers take full advantage, making these musical numbers well worth the price of admission.

Malek is riveting in the leading role. He fully commits to this character, even to the point of wearing a dental prosthesis throughout the film. Because of Malek’s skill, the general impression of his character as Mercury is, at times, eerie, particularly the scenes on stage. Malek’s ability to convey emotional distance yet accessibility, so clearly on display in Mr. Robot, serves him admirably in this role.

The CGI of some of the concert scenes, particularly Wembley Stadium, is extremely effective, giving the moviegoer an acute sense of the size and passion of Queen’s following around the world. One would hope that these effects are put to good use – the closing credits for CGI personnel seemed to number in the hundreds.

Bottom line: If you want to watch the soundtrack of an iconic band, portrayed compellingly, this film delivers in full measure. “Bohemian Rhapsody” is a whole lot more than a tribute band. However, if you want a thoughtful examination of the human condition, Freddie Mercury’s or anyone else’s, you’re in for a lengthy disappointment (running time is 2:13).
Roo182Dec 30, 2018
The musical enable and experience in this film is great. I felt like I was at a Queen performance and it had me hooked. Unfortunately some of the forced humour and moments of the band's personal life was lost on me. It felt almost hollow. IThe musical enable and experience in this film is great. I felt like I was at a Queen performance and it had me hooked. Unfortunately some of the forced humour and moments of the band's personal life was lost on me. It felt almost hollow. I expected a lite more drama or grit to their movie, and from what I hear they took some huge poetic licence liberties with it. Could have been a lot stronger, but as I said, the music holds it together and it's a movie about music, so worth a look if that's your jam. Expand
SEROJFeb 26, 2019
Was it good? mm..yeah. Was it good enough? No. Even though i think it could've been better - i don't think you should miss it if you haven't seen it yet. Freddie is a legend, and so are "Queen". There's a lot more to say about them than inWas it good? mm..yeah. Was it good enough? No. Even though i think it could've been better - i don't think you should miss it if you haven't seen it yet. Freddie is a legend, and so are "Queen". There's a lot more to say about them than in this movie, but for a two hour film - they did a pretty good job. Rami deserved the oscar without any doubt. Expand
Jk9785Nov 11, 2018
Though the performances, particularly that of Rami Malek, are impeccable, a bad screenplay and rapid shift in tones bring this film way down. It should have been much better.
goodfellas100Jan 25, 2019
Wow! the critics got it so wrong! Maybe it's because I'm not a massive Queen fan, but this was one of my most enjoyable films of 2018. Admittedly, it's the Freddie Mercury story rather than the bands but there are excellent performances andWow! the critics got it so wrong! Maybe it's because I'm not a massive Queen fan, but this was one of my most enjoyable films of 2018. Admittedly, it's the Freddie Mercury story rather than the bands but there are excellent performances and all the hits are there to be enjoyed on the big screen. I doubt the film would have been as popular had Sacha Cohen taken the Freddie role? Some people are born for certain roles and Rami Malik is outstanding. I particularly loved watching the band take the stage at Live Aid, it really gave you the feeling of being there. One to be watched on the big screen for sure. Expand
AndrewBurgeFeb 22, 2019
I will start by getting this out of the way--I'm not a big Queen fan. Please, please, read until the end. They always lacked a deeper, more intricate meaning in their music, insight, they are all about externalizing themselves; but if this isI will start by getting this out of the way--I'm not a big Queen fan. Please, please, read until the end. They always lacked a deeper, more intricate meaning in their music, insight, they are all about externalizing themselves; but if this is a problem when it comes to their music, it works magic in film.

Director Bryan Singer gets this. 'Bohemain Rhapsody' is visible in lacking insight or bravery into Freddie Mercury's life. When he confesses to his lover, Mary (Lucy Byonton) the fact that he is bisexual, she is like--damn, sucks, bro. And he is like--yeah, i know, right. That's about it. But this is not a documentary. This is an artistic film. Like Mercury himself, Singer gives the people what they want--an extravagant, elegant, virtuoso exodus embodied by the march of Rami Malek's career-defining performance. Seriously, he was astounding as the legendary lead singer.

If the late Freddie Mercury was alive, he would approve of this. Throughout this formulaic biopic, one thing managed to stand out, though, albeit it was not that obvious--Mercury's devotion to his fans. "I'm a performer, darling!" Even after discovering his incurable disease, his sole focus was on putting on a nice show. I admire this about him and I admire the film for at least trying to portrait this. And while I am not a huge Queen fan, damn it if Freddie Mercury is not the greatest performer ever.

The first half had its moments of tediousness, mostly due to its straight-forward basic Wikipedia-style of standard biographic presentation. But the ending performance at the 1985 Live Aid was so explosive, cursive that when I looked at the time left and saw less than 20 minutes, realizing it was not a full recreation, I was a bit frustrated. Still, the glory was there and, I admit it, I like Queen a bit more now.
stjude_bruhNov 14, 2018
Music biopics are arguably more entertaining than documentaries since they tell a (largely) true story about the subject matter while following a cinematic movie formula. However, this happens to be the biggest weakness for them, as historyMusic biopics are arguably more entertaining than documentaries since they tell a (largely) true story about the subject matter while following a cinematic movie formula. However, this happens to be the biggest weakness for them, as history is often rewritten and edited for the sake of dramatic effect. Since this review is overall positive, I will begin with the negatives by addressing historical inaccuracies as one of the films biggest weakness. For Bohemian Rhapsody, the same issue occurred during the writing of the script, which made many of the dramatic elements seem overacted and unnecessary. Many moments of Freddie’s real life are implemented into the story to add tension and drama to the relationship among the band members when in actuality there was not nearly the same level of tension. While largely paying homage to the legend, many parts of the film make him look like the stereotypical **** diva superstar that was not the complete truth. Another aspect of weakness that I found with the film was the dramatic “cheese”, moments added to add drama to make the film more like a film. Even with the largely amazing performance from Rami Malek (more on him later), there were moments where his dramatic acting fell short and the scene came across as almost laughable. While I do have more to say on his performance and the performances of the other cast members, I do not believe that Malek deserves an Oscar nomination.

With that said, the film also seemed to rush through the rise of Queen as a band and their ascent to fame. It takes a matter of twenty minutes or so for the band to go from starting off to signing with John Reid (Aiden Gillen, did good), which was a big deal since Reid was the manager for Sir Elton John. Bohemian Rhapsody wasn’t able to use this formula the best way nor did the movie suffer as a whole, but I certainly would’ve liked to see more scenes centering on the band’s rise. Overall, the film “needed” to add drama and fake history to add to the cinematic effect and fill in the runtime. While these aspects may have hurt Bohemian Rhapsody from being truly amazing, the music and performances were amazing.

I must bestow praise to all those involved with camerawork, film editing, and set designers for their amazing artistic input that brought the movie to life. Every music biopic that I have seen has made me appreciate the music and the artist(s) more. I have felt a connection with these films that have made them worth investing time into over and over again. All previous biopics, however, pale in comparison to the magic of Queen that Bohemian Rhapsody brought to life with such realism. The settings, costumes, and perfect recreation of the band’s performances allowed this film to emerge from its weaknesses to become a truly enjoyable experience. It also set this film apart from other biopics by adding a unique style and flair that exemplifies what Queen as a band embraced back in the day. It’ll send chills through your spine and maybe inspire you to become the next great music artist, because God knows we need much help fixing music (except rap).

The performances by the cast members themselves were amazing across the board, from the band members of Queen to the supporting characters of the story. The highlights were Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury (obviously), who prevails through some bad moments by nailing all the movements and mannerisms of Mr. Mercury. The live performance scenes in particular were perfectly executed, as the lip-syncing and Mercury theatrics would make you believe that Rami was Freddie himself. I was also impressed with Gwilym Lee’s excellent turn as guitarist Brian May, achieving the perfect recreation of May from accent to acting according to the scene’s tone and objective. One more performance I would like to highlight was Lucy Boynton as Mary Austin, who I believe brought the most emotional complexion among the cast, being able to properly add drama to an otherwise lighthearted film.

As with all films, Bohemian Rhapsody is not without flaws; there are moments of overly-dramatic elements, and some of the actual history has been rewritten to add to this effect. These flaws should only be in a made-for-TV movie on Lifetime Network, but certainly not the film’s positive qualities. Bolstered by the set design, amazing cinematography, editing, and cast performances, the film is certainly an achievement for music biopics. It brings one of the greatest songwriters and vocalists to life, and gives audiences a movie centered on a band who made music for the people. Critics can say what they want, but ask the fans of rock and they’ll place Queen among the greatest acts of all time. The film brought them to life in astounding fashion, and has allowed to world to gain a greater appreciation for art that we may never encounter again.
ZumbacinoApr 5, 2019
Simplistic but highly enjoyable. The movie plays like a best off Queen’s greatest hits and achievements, which isn’t a bad thing. The music still has the power to sway any audience and Freddie’s commanding stage presence is excellentlySimplistic but highly enjoyable. The movie plays like a best off Queen’s greatest hits and achievements, which isn’t a bad thing. The music still has the power to sway any audience and Freddie’s commanding stage presence is excellently recreated by an outstanding performance by Rami Malek. Freddie’s band mates are equally well portrayed, albeit a bit of the card board variety. Brian May is the other stand out, every detail and nuance of his mannerisms has been captured, one could easily be fooled he was the real person. To me the biggest let down was the watered down story. It was competent but without any rough edges. Nothing that ruffles the feathers. It’s a tribute to Queen and a very entertaining one at that. Expand
SLAMNDANNov 3, 2018
Baffled by the negative critic reaction to the film. The film does tread lightly on the darker aspects of Freddy's life, but it's a celebration of Queen, not an expose.
It's a highly enjoyable film with good performances, especially from Rami
It's a highly enjoyable film with good performances, especially from Rami Malek and would recommend it to any fan of Queen or great rock.
KrisTina_5Nov 3, 2018
I have no idea why the critics didn't enjoy this movie as much as the audience does. I loved every second of it!!! It was an emotional rollercoaster. The cast is perfect, and they paid a very respectful tribute to the band. Rami Malek did anI have no idea why the critics didn't enjoy this movie as much as the audience does. I loved every second of it!!! It was an emotional rollercoaster. The cast is perfect, and they paid a very respectful tribute to the band. Rami Malek did an exceptional job portraying Freddie. It's worth your time !!! Expand
ThumokNov 4, 2018
So glad I stopped reading the so-called "critic reviews" quite a while ago. They are almost always off nowadays, it's funny, the movies I enjoy have rotten reviews and vice versa. Anyways - great movie this one. Go watch it if you like Queen.So glad I stopped reading the so-called "critic reviews" quite a while ago. They are almost always off nowadays, it's funny, the movies I enjoy have rotten reviews and vice versa. Anyways - great movie this one. Go watch it if you like Queen. If you don't know or don't like Queen, you probably won't connect with the movie and I wouldn't suggest it for you... Expand
BocephuszosoNov 5, 2018
I rarely do reviews on movies as what makes a good movie for someone is is soooo subjective.
I just saw this movie yesterday and was blown away. A solid 9 out of 10. If Rami Malek who played Freddie Mercury doesn't get an Oscar nod for his stellar effort there is no justice in the movie business these days. Lastly the critics are totally clueless on this one. Must be the same critics who trashed Led Zeppelin in the 70's. Must see movie....
makdrumzNov 13, 2018
A must-see film. I am not a queen fan...never been.
Got to say that the acting, story and music gave me the chills. By the end I was smiling and almost crying.
P.S.
Still trying to understand which planet are those movie critics coming from.
TVJerryNov 6, 2018
I was never a fan of Queen's music or Freddie Mercury, but this film fosters an appreciation of both. The story covers the band's career with the focus on Mercury. As the lead singer, Rami Malek beautifully creates a character who'sI was never a fan of Queen's music or Freddie Mercury, but this film fosters an appreciation of both. The story covers the band's career with the focus on Mercury. As the lead singer, Rami Malek beautifully creates a character who's headstrong, brilliant, charismatic and outrageous (for his day). The narrative follows a traditional arc, covering the band's creative output and success (with all the hits), as well as Mercury's personal struggles. Without ever being emotionally involving or especially original in approach or direction, it still manages to create an interesting biopic. NOTE: In an ironic (and somewhat disguised) role, Mike Myers gets to diss the title song, which was a reference to his performance of the song in "Wayne's World." Expand
DokemNov 8, 2018
I don't understand the critics. This movie was great. It's not perfect that's true, but you will enjoy it. I cried several times during the film. It was a very emotional experience. Rami Malek was awesome, great work.
uahNov 2, 2018
This is a very respectufl film about a legendary group and character.

DO NOT trust the critics, they were worng before with QUEEN, and they are wrong again.

This is a fantastic film that every Queen fan will enjoy.
ashiakatamakiNov 2, 2018
Wanted to take this opportunity to express some of the backlash and negativity from those who dislike this film. Opinions will be opinions, and reading through some critics' reviews, I can certainly see their point sometimes,
but the film
but the film literally ends with a song about having a good time. If the audience was entertained, so what if you didn't get the rated-R Queen story you wanted? So what if Freddie Mercury wasn't played by Sacha Baron Cohen? So what if the filmmakers made artistic changes? Will the audience even care? Isn't film supposed to entertain?

Pushing all the film's production issues aside, it can't be understated how much of a feel-good movie this really is. From what I can see, repeat watches will be immensely entertaining.

All the acting here is on point. As you've no doubt heard already Rami Malek gives the film his all as Freddie Mercury. He is the heart and soul of this movie and it wouldn't work without his electrifying performance. It's the little things that define his Mercury: the little facial tics, cracked smiles and so on. He's definitely a shoe-in for that Best Actor.
I was also very impressed by Gwilym Lee as Brian May and Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor. The two of them are great foils to Malek's Mercury and both embody their real-life selves so well.

As for filmmaking, I have one or two small gripes here and there. The editing was choppy at times, (during dialogue scenes) cutting away abruptly after someone has finished his/her lines; to my knowledge it happened twice or thrice. The camerawork is spectacular, lots of close-ups, puts you in the moment. The CGI isn't anything specialbut it gets the job done.

Overall, I really loved Bohemian Rhapsody. The last 30 minutes really did encapsulate the audience in experiencing Queen and Freddie Mercury; and it's been some time since my friends and I left the cinema feeling this good.
yosemiteNov 16, 2018
The movie got just so so reviews and to an extent, it deserved them. That stated, its an enjoyable film. Malek nails his performance and the music highlights the story. Its a little long but the Live Aid scenes are just great. Forget theThe movie got just so so reviews and to an extent, it deserved them. That stated, its an enjoyable film. Malek nails his performance and the music highlights the story. Its a little long but the Live Aid scenes are just great. Forget the critics. If you liked Queen , you'll enjoy the movie Expand
miccaelNov 7, 2018
so we have 4.9 critic score and 8.3 user score average: ladies and gentlemen - we have another "critics don't get it" scenario.
Just like Freddie said in this movie - everyone's a critic now.
This was great movie to watch, someone who is NOT
Just like Freddie said in this movie - everyone's a critic now.
This was great movie to watch, someone who is NOT A QUEEN FAN (but am now) I enjoyed this experience and happily provided my money to support the film which is shot amazingly and Rami of course - who played great! After movie - I am Queen fan now, and have been THE Queen fan since I came to UK (I have big respect for Her Majesty).
Movie is 2 hours but feels exactly right. It never bores, but I wish some creative music-making scenes were longer. Overall, this is solid movie, since I have to provide score, I guess 8/10? But an Oscar nominee for sure, for performance
ButternutNov 2, 2018
We really enjoyed it. The actors did a great job and the music was fantastic. It left us feeling quite emotional and also very inspired. My teen really enjoyed it as well. She said felt a little bummed though that she wasn't around to seeWe really enjoyed it. The actors did a great job and the music was fantastic. It left us feeling quite emotional and also very inspired. My teen really enjoyed it as well. She said felt a little bummed though that she wasn't around to see them together in concert. Expand
eagleeyevikingNov 20, 2018
"Bohemian Rhapsody" honours Queen with a rousing and persistently entertaining biopic. The musical scenes are electrifying and the performances are exemplary.
Jiano74Nov 6, 2018
Yes this film may have a few historical inaccuracies, but that doesn't really matter, the film was two hours of fun and I enjoyed ever minute as a huge Queen fan. Rami Malek was the perfect fit to play Freddie Mercury even getting hisYes this film may have a few historical inaccuracies, but that doesn't really matter, the film was two hours of fun and I enjoyed ever minute as a huge Queen fan. Rami Malek was the perfect fit to play Freddie Mercury even getting his mannerisms down to a T, the Live Aid scene was done very well. This film is a must watch for any Queen fan, it will get you singing and crying throughout. Expand
RockrNov 19, 2018
"Critic review" WTF? 49?! "Critics" does not deserve your attention. The movie is AWESOME! Go watch it. (Sorry my bananas english. It's not my native language)
HipsterDufusNov 14, 2018
A very good movie, well done. Rami should get an Oscar nom for this one. Shed new light on the bands history and it was great to reminisce my childhood memories of the music. New respect for Freddy Mercury, he was a great performer andA very good movie, well done. Rami should get an Oscar nom for this one. Shed new light on the bands history and it was great to reminisce my childhood memories of the music. New respect for Freddy Mercury, he was a great performer and musician. I'd give a 10, but the teeth for Freddy's character were overdone, to the point of being comical. Should fire the prop guy because he just didn't get his teeth right. They look like they should have been backed off by 4mm. Expand
Harley82Nov 18, 2018
Wow !! What a beautiful, mesmerizing and moving Music Flick. The Live Aid Concert will paint a big Smile on your face, but also leave you quite impressed and with tears in your eyes. The acting ist really great and the chemistry between theWow !! What a beautiful, mesmerizing and moving Music Flick. The Live Aid Concert will paint a big Smile on your face, but also leave you quite impressed and with tears in your eyes. The acting ist really great and the chemistry between the actors seems real and fluid. Music might be the Best of the Last Century and its transformed perfectly for the Big Screen. In Quality (especially IMAX), Choice of Tracks, Loudness and perfect acting in Concert Scenes.

No one wants to see a Wikipedia Movie or a chronological correct Biography reconstruction with Actors (there are enough Lifetime Documentaries about Queen).
You can't squeeze over 40 Years of Queen (or over 20 with Freddie) into a 2 Hour Music Movie. It's just about the biggest and finest Rock Music Tracks in the Last Century and capsuled in nice, entertaining Stories how the Songs were Written, Created or Recorded. The Acting of the Band and it's chemistry is just phenomenal.
The Music is at it's Best. What do you want more ? Go an see it
annbdDec 8, 2018
My third concert experience in two weeks. So I'm satisfied. Rami Malek perform is outstanding. They should have put more efforts in the physical appearance of Malek who didn't look much like Freddy. I loved the Bohemian Rhapsody, basically ofMy third concert experience in two weeks. So I'm satisfied. Rami Malek perform is outstanding. They should have put more efforts in the physical appearance of Malek who didn't look much like Freddy. I loved the Bohemian Rhapsody, basically of the music and Rami in it. What I expected to see was more of the true Freddy - how he got into music, why he was passionate about it, reveal of his family and so on. As Biography the film fails, but as Music experience and Drama Bohemian Rhapsody nailed it. Expand
ooohhh25Nov 24, 2018
This movie saved my year. The music is terrific and made me want to watch it again.
SabsluNov 12, 2018
IM not a super fan of queen but this movie is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Emotional, funny and an amazing story of pure talent. The direction and production of this movie was so spot on and Malek’s performances amazing
sampson3121Nov 2, 2018
Once again critics are wrong and the public understands what rock & roll was and is. Freddy would have been proud.
duanewilliamsNov 2, 2018
I thought it was very entertaining and way better than the critic reviews indicate. If you like the music of Queen, you will enjoy this film, because it is filled with music. And because it is so greatly oriented to the music, pick aI thought it was very entertaining and way better than the critic reviews indicate. If you like the music of Queen, you will enjoy this film, because it is filled with music. And because it is so greatly oriented to the music, pick a theater with excellent sound. I have no idea whether it is an accurate portrayal of Freddie Mercury's life, but it is not just about Freddie Mercury. It's about the band too and their amazing success and the legacy of their music. Expand
OxagothNov 2, 2018
Gran pelicula biografica, faltaron un par de cosas, pero es casi perfecta. Esta peli no es para todos los publicos, eso que quede claro
georgemichaelNov 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this movie is amazing, so emotional and so well acted i would watch it over and over again! Freddie Mercury is such a legend!! Expand
cylackNov 23, 2018
Loved it. Showed the rise of Queen and how Freddie Mercury became a rock legend. Some complain that it didn't delve into Mercury's sexuality enough, but that's ok. The film was a positive one and its ok to leave feeling inspired and hopeful,Loved it. Showed the rise of Queen and how Freddie Mercury became a rock legend. Some complain that it didn't delve into Mercury's sexuality enough, but that's ok. The film was a positive one and its ok to leave feeling inspired and hopeful, realizing its ok to have heroes and legends. Particularly touching was how the film depicted Mercury's relationship with his Parsi Indian parents. I guess it will come as a shock for many to know that Mercury was of Indian ethnicity. Expand
cThorNov 4, 2018
Wow. What an interesting film. I have never been a huge fan of Queen's music, nor do I know how the real story of this band actually played out in the real world... So I have nothing to compare my analysis of this film on besides the filmWow. What an interesting film. I have never been a huge fan of Queen's music, nor do I know how the real story of this band actually played out in the real world... So I have nothing to compare my analysis of this film on besides the film itself.

This film was absolutely brilliant in so many ways, yet I didn't realize I liked it so much until the last 30 minutes. I had no idea what direction the plot was going, which kept me watching, hoping it didn't head south. To my enjoyment it didn't go south at all; Instead it became one of my favorite films of the year. My point in saying this is: Don't knock the movie until you watch it in its entirety and really look back at the movie as a whole.

The acting and character development was outstanding. The music was, to my surprise, heartwarming, fun, and meaningful to listen to in conjunction with what was presented on the screen. Touching back on one of my original points, and why this movie was so damn good: The story was riveting and easy to follow but it didn't give away the end result (unless you knew already). For someone like myself who didn't know the story of the band, the story progression was subtle and kept me glued to the screen waiting to see what was going to happen next.

Overall it was just an amazing movie with awesome music, great acting, small bursts of comedy, meaningful but not overbearing important messages, drama, conflict, and some tear-jerking moments. The film had it all and it is definitely worth watching, regardless of whether you know the story of the band from beginning to end. (A side note, my girlfriend saw the film with me and enjoyed it even more than I did and she loves Queen and knew how the plot was going to turn out)
DLX_DUDE13Nov 24, 2018
This movie is just phenomenal through and through. I swear to God, Rami Malek sounds just like Freddy Mercury. A bunch of critics have these unrealistic or straight up bizarre expectations for the film, like, says Consequence of Sound,This movie is just phenomenal through and through. I swear to God, Rami Malek sounds just like Freddy Mercury. A bunch of critics have these unrealistic or straight up bizarre expectations for the film, like, says Consequence of Sound, "[It's] like watching 40 years of musical biopic tropes in brief, shortened and scrubbed and marketed within a bank-friendly PG-13 presentation." You heard them. They're complaining that it's not rated R (read the full review to see what I'm talking about). Now, I respect the opinions of others, but they're just straight up acting like edgy teenagers who play Fortnite. Anyways, this is a great film that is definitely worth 2 hours in your day. Expand
Rod1653Nov 17, 2018
absolute masterpiece
Bohemian Rhapsody is a clear example of a biographic movie done right.

spoiler

freddie goes from his early 20s all right to live aid concert
CanneddogNov 19, 2018
I have been a fan since the early 70s, and I loved this movie. Being a movie there are liberties taken with when events occurred and some things were dramatized for the movies sake. But the overall feel and story were fantastic. would haveI have been a fan since the early 70s, and I loved this movie. Being a movie there are liberties taken with when events occurred and some things were dramatized for the movies sake. But the overall feel and story were fantastic. would have gave it a 10 but dropped it to a 9 for the timeline being mutable. Expand
teehee226Nov 21, 2018
This movie is a great celebration of the music of Queen,and Freddie Mercury. True, the facts and timeline of his life are not 100% accurate. I assume they took liberties for dramatic enhancement. If you love the music of Queen, you willThis movie is a great celebration of the music of Queen,and Freddie Mercury. True, the facts and timeline of his life are not 100% accurate. I assume they took liberties for dramatic enhancement. If you love the music of Queen, you will find this a fun way to experience their hits while getting an overview of the bands formation and ride to stardom. Rami Melek puts in a great performance. This movie is worth seeing in the theater just for the recreation of the Live Aide performance on a big screen. Totally worth it! Expand
TheSpartonNov 2, 2018
I found it very difficult to fault this. Well acted and a blast to watch. Critics say it doesn’t focus enough on Freddie as a person and his personal challenges. I say it’s spot on with a good amount of focus on the whole band and theirI found it very difficult to fault this. Well acted and a blast to watch. Critics say it doesn’t focus enough on Freddie as a person and his personal challenges. I say it’s spot on with a good amount of focus on the whole band and their journey. Loved it! Expand
dklingenNov 3, 2018
I think it was done very well and was excellent and entertaining. Rami Malek deserves a Best Actor Academy Award in my opinion. I cannot understand anyone who likes Queen's music and appreciates how great they were not liking this movie.
fanaticQNov 3, 2018
very good, exciting, you'll cry if you're a fan.all the actors do a good job starring their characters, and when you see Rami Malek in the movie, you'll see Freddie Mercury.
vasquezhenryrNov 3, 2018
I really enjoyed the movie. My wife and kids also liked it. I thought Rami Malek did an amazing job portraying Freddie Mercury.
bataguilaNov 3, 2018
Entretenida. La moraleja de la peli: "GAY, es ser una persona nefasta, impertinente, lujuriosa, viciosa, drogadicta, soberbia, solitaria, etc cosas del infierno; por lo que merece la muerte. Pero si eres virtuoso de la música puedes pasar aEntretenida. La moraleja de la peli: "GAY, es ser una persona nefasta, impertinente, lujuriosa, viciosa, drogadicta, soberbia, solitaria, etc cosas del infierno; por lo que merece la muerte. Pero si eres virtuoso de la música puedes pasar a ser recordado, sino, muérete de SIDA". El concierto final creo era mejor reproducir el original, que recrearlo". Malek muy bien, y Singer buen director. Expand
AbhorashNov 17, 2018
Weather or not this is objectively a good movie it is a fun movie and you'll and enjoy watching it even if you don't know much about queen.
ledaumasNov 3, 2018
I guess I'll never make it as a movie critic because we loved this movie and we disagree with the poor ratings by the critics. It was a long movie, yet didn't feel long. What we got out of is how he succeeded, by believing in himself andI guess I'll never make it as a movie critic because we loved this movie and we disagree with the poor ratings by the critics. It was a long movie, yet didn't feel long. What we got out of is how he succeeded, by believing in himself and being supported by his band members. We don't need to know everything about him. This movie showed why Freddie Mercury was great, despite his many flaws. Expand
hmschreckNov 3, 2018
I enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but it's very, very good. The core was right, and people will know about one of the best bands of all time again. How can I not be excited?
bitterfoolNov 2, 2018
Pacing might be a little strange at times, but overall a great story with amazing performances. Many emotional moments and of course the amazing soundtrack in a theater setting (especially Imax) alone was worth experiencing this movie.
ijohanaNov 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Blow my mind. we really enjoyed it how the producer mixed the crowd scenes in the movie. The actors did an awesome job as well, especially Malek. Expand
LaurabohannonNov 2, 2018
One of the best movies I have seen in years. The music was fantastic, the acting was excellent and I felt like I was at a Queen concert only better! I do not repeat movies but this one is worth seeing over and over again. Amazing! LauraB
Dale6aNov 3, 2018
This is a great film, simple as that!
A story that covers a 15 year period of one if not the greatest bands and showman there has ever been.
This is a great film, simple as that!
If you were lucky enough like me to grow up with the music of Queen and witness them live along with their triumphant set at Wembley for Live Aid then this film is everything you wanted and more.
For a new generation of people who knew nothing about this period then it give a entertaining potted history to this once in a lifetime event.
The acting I tremendous and all the main cast members must be commended on their work in looking and sounding the part, I would think Brian, Rodger and John would feel like they were looking into a mirror, and I’m sure Freddie would be delighted with Rami Malek’s portrail of him.
Although some of the critics reviews have been a mixed bag I feel some are missing the point, this film is a joy an uplifting story it has drama,humour and some of the best music that all filmgoers will enjoy. It covers some of the less glamorous parts of Freddie’s life but doesn’t dwell on them, it’s been made as a celebration for everyone to enjoy, if you want a warts and all tail then there is plenty of books and documentaries out there.
Go see this movie you won’t be disappointe!
Vince19DrumsNov 3, 2018
Bohemian Rhapsody is a true masterpiece, even if it has some non truth in it. Rami Malek does a brillant job as Freddie! I don't care what does the critics says, every Queen fan will like it.
deecatNov 5, 2018
It's a kind of magic. Bohemian Rhapsody makes up for its lack of depth and accuracy with rocking rollicking entertainment. Yes! a film that is actually entertaining, a rarity these days. Rami Malek's performance as Queens frontman FreddyIt's a kind of magic. Bohemian Rhapsody makes up for its lack of depth and accuracy with rocking rollicking entertainment. Yes! a film that is actually entertaining, a rarity these days. Rami Malek's performance as Queens frontman Freddy Mercury is pitch perfect. If your a fan of Queens music, go see it. If you do see it, see it in IMAX. Expand
jumeNov 2, 2018
The cast of this movie did a fantastic job in capturing each character's charisma! I heard Brian May a few years ago on an interview saying how each member contributed to their song-writing - and this is so well displayed in the movie. ItThe cast of this movie did a fantastic job in capturing each character's charisma! I heard Brian May a few years ago on an interview saying how each member contributed to their song-writing - and this is so well displayed in the movie. It takes a lot of talent to portray a character like Freddy Mercury - and Rami Malek does an excellent job. As I read the negative comments, I am shaking my head because if you like Queen and their music, you will love this movie. Expand
lovesmoviesinsfNov 3, 2018
Academy Award performance by Romy Malek. Amazing look at an extraordinary man. Brilliant musical scenes. I loved it! No idea what all the criticism is about- He was portrayed as a brilliant beyond talented confused and passionate flawed andAcademy Award performance by Romy Malek. Amazing look at an extraordinary man. Brilliant musical scenes. I loved it! No idea what all the criticism is about- He was portrayed as a brilliant beyond talented confused and passionate flawed and wonderful human being! Well done!!! A Must See for music lovers! Expand
FunkymonkNov 8, 2018
Critic reviews who moan about it not being 100% factually accurate, clichés or parts of the story that could have been expanded on are missing the point or taking things too seriously; Bohemian Rhapsody (like the band it's self) is justCritic reviews who moan about it not being 100% factually accurate, clichés or parts of the story that could have been expanded on are missing the point or taking things too seriously; Bohemian Rhapsody (like the band it's self) is just outrageous, joyful entertainment with pitch perfect performances and breath taking concert scenes that almost make you feel like you're there. You'll laugh, cry and cheer. It may even make you sing and dance! Expand
WaelNov 13, 2018
Rami Malek's show-stopping performance is capable, on its own, of lifting up a biopic that somehow lacks when it comes to screenplay and direction. This one is sure to please Queen fans all around the world, and will definitely make the bandRami Malek's show-stopping performance is capable, on its own, of lifting up a biopic that somehow lacks when it comes to screenplay and direction. This one is sure to please Queen fans all around the world, and will definitely make the band a lot more accessible to new generations. Amazing film. Expand
Compi24Nov 3, 2018
Considering how many issues I actually had with this film, it feels odd giving it as high of a score as this. Maybe that's the power of music and seeing the legends behind some of the best music of all time onscreen for the first time. RamiConsidering how many issues I actually had with this film, it feels odd giving it as high of a score as this. Maybe that's the power of music and seeing the legends behind some of the best music of all time onscreen for the first time. Rami Malek's performance and the music alone honestly allow me to look past the film's many flaws (the sanitized feel, the cliches, the blatant falsehoods/omissions in the narrative). But it's the earnest approach, though, that really won me over in the end. This is a great time and an easy listen overall. Good stuff. Expand
moviemitch96Nov 2, 2018
This was a pretty fun biopic that greatly highlighted the life and times of Freddie Mercury and the legendary rock band Queen. However, it is a bit by the numbers in terms of a biopic and the story and pacing felt rushed at times, but RamiThis was a pretty fun biopic that greatly highlighted the life and times of Freddie Mercury and the legendary rock band Queen. However, it is a bit by the numbers in terms of a biopic and the story and pacing felt rushed at times, but Rami Malek's highly energetic and fully committed performance as Mercury greatly carries much of the film to make up for that. He's definitely what makes the film the most fun to watch. Overall, like I said, it felt pretty standard for a biopic, but that doesn't mean I didn't have any fun with it, and even if you're not a huge Queen fan, there's no denying how catchy and fun most of their songs are, so there's plenty of great things to enjoy in this film. Expand
anovergyFeb 25, 2019
Awesome film. Rami deserves its Oscars. People forgot how awesome Freddy was, this film made a new wave of interest for Queen.
DudeFromIcelandNov 27, 2018
I have no idea why critics are giving this film such low scores. This film was just pure goosebumps throughout, especially the final 20-25 minutes.

Rami Malek did a great job portraying Freddie, particularly on stage. He was a larger than life kind of guy and the film portrays that well.

The rest of the cast is excellent and everyone does a fine job in the more dramatic moments of the film.

And well the music stands out of course, It's Queen, what's not to love?

Any Queen fan will get a kick out of this film, whether you are a casual or die hard fan.
AcaciaNov 3, 2018
I loved this movie! Freddie Mercury was a unique and fascinating person with a talent for innovation In music. Rami Malek is superb as Mercury and I thought the story was so interesting. Loved nearing the music of Queen and learning theI loved this movie! Freddie Mercury was a unique and fascinating person with a talent for innovation In music. Rami Malek is superb as Mercury and I thought the story was so interesting. Loved nearing the music of Queen and learning the backstory of how the group came to be and how it evolved into being one of the biggest groups of its time. The supporting cast was all terrific and I really enjoyed this movie. JUSt wish it didn’t have to end the way it had to. Heartbreaking. Expand
EvilkermitNov 7, 2018
It's a kind of magic...with all of the feels.

It may not be absolutely accurate with the timeline and the band's history, but it is a great story. A great story backed up with a fantastic soundtrack. Despite what the critics say, this is
It's a kind of magic...with all of the feels.

Despite what the critics say, this is one of the rare instances where you can go to a movie and simply have a great time.

Be warned though, if you're a fan there will be some real tear-jerking moments.
SWichLife36Nov 22, 2018
While not a perfect movie, the film does a good job to evoke and portray the entertainment of Queen and its frontman Freddie Mercury. The plot is generic, but the music and performances are wild and take you in from the very beginning. RamiWhile not a perfect movie, the film does a good job to evoke and portray the entertainment of Queen and its frontman Freddie Mercury. The plot is generic, but the music and performances are wild and take you in from the very beginning. Rami Malek is great at evoking the showman and entertainer that was Freddie Mercury, and the troubled, lonely man that he was behind the stage. 9/10 Expand
Its_a_fangirlDec 3, 2018
Wow! It's a joy for eyes, ears and heart! Rami Malek was amazing as all the cast and sometimes you will forget that who are you seeing aren't the real Queen! This film is fantastic, one of the best movie of 2018 ❤
wpoe54Nov 4, 2018
I was not a big Queen fan back in the day, but this movie converted me. Rami Malek is phenomenal, and the movie rocks. Saw it in IMAX and felt I was part of the crowd. I say it is the best rock and roll film of all time.
oscarllaveNov 2, 2018
This is a masterpiece. Rami Malek gives an excellent performance. This movie is also a good tribute to Queen.
dhoyesNov 3, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. EXCELLENT!!! A must see! This will win and Emmy!!!! Rami is unforgettable! Expand
ViolettNov 3, 2018
Great movie about great man. High five for Rami Malek - really good job. Those songs - I could feel people in cinema were about to start to sing together. People even applauded at the end of the movie. Freddy, you will be remembered in centuries.
ohnomrbillNov 3, 2018
one of the best movies i have seen this year. i was not a big fan of Queen going into the movie yet when it was finished, i came out with their tunes in my head and unable to shake them. when i heard Rami Malek was in the starring role, ione of the best movies i have seen this year. i was not a big fan of Queen going into the movie yet when it was finished, i came out with their tunes in my head and unable to shake them. when i heard Rami Malek was in the starring role, i know i would dismiss the pro critics overall assessment and see the film. it was a great pleasure! Expand
jb1296Nov 3, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bohemian Rhapsody is a film which hasn't been received that well by the critics, but seems to have been well received by the audiences that have seen it. The best part of this film is Rami Malek, his performance as Freddie Mercury is excellent and is one of the best performances that I have seen in a film in 2018. Honestly words aren't enough to describe how good his performance is in this film. I also think that the film is very well made in a technical sense, the cinematography is good and the sound design is amazing in this film. This film doesn't show any of the issues that it had in production, unlike some other films where you can tell many different creative minds have had influence in the final product, Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't show them. I also think that the final 20 minutes of this film are incredible, essentially the show the Live aid performance in 1985 and perform all the songs on stage. However, I am not going to act like this is perfect film, there are some issues with the film. Firstly, the second act in this film drags a lot and I feel this is because the band members aren't explored that much, so we get a few hints at their chemistry but not as much a we should. Secondly outside the of band, there are few characters which don't have explained motivations, there is one scene where Freddy isn't told about the Live aid concert, but the explanation isn't really explored much. Finally, the CGI in this film sticks out quite a lot, there isn't that much in this film but when there is CGI you really do notice it. Overall, Bohemian Rhapsody is a film which is watchable, I think the film could do with some improvements but it's a good film and you won't be disappointed if you go and see this film. Expand
Joshuaj2005Nov 2, 2018
Absoulutly go see this movie and don’t see the nutcracker this weekend. This movie perfectly describes Freddie Mercury’s life and the band Queen. From it’s 2hr runtime, it’s worth it.
Altairys38Nov 4, 2018
Legendary film about legendary Queen.When they showed Live Aid concert, i , literaly, belive then i watch it for real
wulfsigeNov 4, 2018
What I feel people are getting wrong is what this movie is about. It's not about Queen or Freddie but about the human condition. Through their songs and Freddie's struggles we manage to get a glimpse of how hard life is. How no matter howWhat I feel people are getting wrong is what this movie is about. It's not about Queen or Freddie but about the human condition. Through their songs and Freddie's struggles we manage to get a glimpse of how hard life is. How no matter how famous or rich we are at the end of the day we are all humans and we will suffer one way or the other.

That is the real message here, and Queen's songs are the perfect medium to tell a story like that... you honestly don't have to look any further than "We are The Champions" to get the gist of it. Seeing them perform the songs while you listen to the lyrics is a story in and of itself. I am honestly surprised this flew over so many critics' heads.
ArymanNov 4, 2018
Amazing experience! As a movie - maybe 7/10, but if you love Queen music add 2 stars, and another 1 if you watch this in IMAX theatre (only there is sound system to show power of Quenn music).
shpostalNov 2, 2018
Film bios tread fairly fine lines. They can be absolutely brilliant ("Lincoln") but with musical bios, much of the pleasure derived will be decided by whether the viewer likes the band or performer to begin with. Myself being aFilm bios tread fairly fine lines. They can be absolutely brilliant ("Lincoln") but with musical bios, much of the pleasure derived will be decided by whether the viewer likes the band or performer to begin with. Myself being a musician and very informed on the bands and music I like, I will be fairly critical but open minded. There was a Beach Boy movie from years ago that was absolutely terrible. It played with the facts, created a bunch of "events" that never happened, like the origins of "Fun Fun Fun", where the boys supposedly saw a blond driving a T-bird outside the studio, when in fact it was written while they were on tour in Australia. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is one of the great ones. It centers mainly around Freddy Mercury, being the flamboyant entertainer par excellence he was, and if there is one beef it is that the contributions of the rest of Queen are underplayed. For example, no mention of Brian Mays' unique home made guitar that sculpted the Queen sound, much less his stellar playing. But all in all the film is a compelling and eventually very touching story, factually correct but doesn't exactly follow the exact time lines of the use of Queen music. As it's told it doesn't matter, however. Plus, the real Freddy Mercury vocals are used unless the actor who portrays him, Rami Malek has an identical voice, which I doubt. But his lip synching is very convincing, and the band is portrayed as accurately as possible, with the actors "playing" with their fingers in the right places at the right times. Rami Malek is the real star of the show, who channels the late Mercury to precise levels. The tales of excess and Mercury's sexual proclivities are kept to a minimum, only to keep the facts present without the overkill. Queen would triumph one last time with the original line up at the massive Live Aid global concert in 1985, where the film culminates. We are spared thankfully the severest suffering Freddy would endure as he fought AIDS and would tragically die from in 1991. But it's a moving tale, and a bit tearful. We can be thankful now that AIDS isn't the automatic death sentence it was in the first years of its rampage. Mercury showed the world that one could still be a top notch entertainer, full of heart and spirit regardless of sex preference. A much much missed and so much more worthy than homophobes who still insist on attacking the LGBT trans community without cause and plenty of hate. Expand
LinkfuchoNov 3, 2018
Como las opiniones negativas de los "criticos" cuando salio Bohemian Rhapsody, se repite lo mismo con este largometraje, emoción y recordarle a las nuevas generaciones el peso de Queen. Métanse sus criticas por donde mejor les quepan a esosComo las opiniones negativas de los "criticos" cuando salio Bohemian Rhapsody, se repite lo mismo con este largometraje, emoción y recordarle a las nuevas generaciones el peso de Queen. Métanse sus criticas por donde mejor les quepan a esos pseudos críticos y rueguen que las nuevas generaciones aprendan a amar canciones de verdad y no los "éxitos" de papel de hoy. Expand
TrillcosbeyNov 2, 2018
If you ever liked music and enjoy a good story then see this film, it was a fun peek into a time that music really did rule the world and also an allegory for someone who fly's too close to the heavens. One of the best films of 2018 hands down.
Rebecca31Nov 2, 2018
Bohemian Rhapsody covers the formation of Queen and the life of Freddie Mercury up until the Live Aid concert in 1985. I don’t care if half of it is fiction I still loved it.

Starring Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury), Gwilym Lee (Brian May), Ben

Starring Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury), Gwilym Lee (Brian May), Ben Hardy (Roger Taylor), and Joseph Mazzello (John Deacon). The trailer just gives you a taste of Malek’s transformation into Freddie Mercury, he portrayed the icon with energy, charisma and showmanship to perfection. The casting was perfect it just needed a better script and a better director. It would have made all the difference and elevated the rest of the film to the standard set by the actors. Bohemian Rhapsody doesn’t really know if it wanted to be the Freddie Mercury story, or the life of Queen. You end up getting a watered down version of both stories, with time constraints it’s not possible to have it all but I still wanted more. More of how Queen wrote their songs, more of Freddie’s life, I found myself wishing this had been a TV mini-series just so I could see more. You also can’t help but feel that a good portion of it has taken some creative liberties and as for giving us an insight into Freddie’s life it doesn’t really get the depth you want. The 12a rating used to bring in a bigger audience is definitely to blame here. In a way a documentary like Amy or Whitney would have been the better way to go but then we’d miss out on Malek’s performance and we can’t have that. With Sacha Baron Cohen dropping out early on due to creative differences and all the other problems that went on behind the scenes Bohemian Rhapsody could have been a disaster. It is getting some harsh reviews due to the supposed historical inaccuracies and yes maybe you’re thinking this review is biased because I like Queen but I was entertained the whole time, I found the chemistry between the main cast to be believable and genuine. The music is spectacular and not only that but the miming was impeccable. Convincing miming isn’t easy apparently just ask the cast of The Greatest Showman. No the film isn’t a masterpiece and it has got some issues but I still loved it. The music and Malek’s performance keep you in the film and during the Live Aid concert it’s electric. You’ll be singing Queen songs for days after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. Highly recommended, not to be missed and a must see for the Queen fans.
SchroederRockFeb 6, 2019
A thrilling pseudo-biopic that follows one of the most significant bands in history and the frontman that helped take the band to new heights all the while losing control of himself in the process. Bohemian Rhapsody isn't perfect but it hitsA thrilling pseudo-biopic that follows one of the most significant bands in history and the frontman that helped take the band to new heights all the while losing control of himself in the process. Bohemian Rhapsody isn't perfect but it hits so many of the right notes with casting, flow, music timing, and it gives people a look behind the curtain (even if there is some artistic license used and the events might not have occurred in the succession seen in the movie). I felt like I watched Freddie Mercury reincarnated from the grave which is a testament to Rami Malek's acting chops and film directors Bryan Singer and Dexter Fletcher for getting so much out of the cast. Bohemian Rhapsody might at times play the like a rock star cover band but it's no Rock of Ages where we just get a series of great tunes for kicks - this is a solid artistic product that feels so Queen it might as well have been all of us in chairs watching this unfold right before our eyes. The movie could have just given us a little more of the rest of the band's story because as the movie points out, these guys needed each other to be as great as they were and while Freddie was the fame the band wasn't just the Freddie Mercury show. Expand
onuxNov 8, 2018
Forget the critic reviews. Amazing movie that is well worth a watch and sensitively portrays the highs and lows of the band. A must watch if you're a fan but equally enjoyable for any music lover. Casting is so good, and Remi Malek'sForget the critic reviews. Amazing movie that is well worth a watch and sensitively portrays the highs and lows of the band. A must watch if you're a fan but equally enjoyable for any music lover. Casting is so good, and Remi Malek's performance never breaks the immersion. Expand
dharmaJan 19, 2019
This year's 'The Greatest Showman'; a film hated by Critics but loved by its audiences. It shows the great disparaties between the common people and so called professional critics. Is it a perfect film? Obviously not. Is it an entertaining,This year's 'The Greatest Showman'; a film hated by Critics but loved by its audiences. It shows the great disparaties between the common people and so called professional critics. Is it a perfect film? Obviously not. Is it an entertaining, rousing rendition of one of the greatest musician of our lifetime? Yes it is. Production problems aside (often delayed, and the fact that Bryan Singer was fired midway), it is incredibly cohesive, buoyed by Malek's amazing performance of Freddie Mercury. This has made a surprising splash on the awards as of writing, winning the Golden Globes in the process. People will buy this film and play it ad nauseaum on their home to show off their sound system for years to come. Expand
AthanasiosTFeb 2, 2019
This film moved me, reminded me of my teens and brought back to life, a legend of rock. Give a bloody Oscar to hurricane Malek, and screw the official critics, who, for once more failed to catch a movie's vibe.
tenchi2323Nov 15, 2018
Ignore the critics. This movie was an amazing experience. Go see it in Dolby if possible! I loved every moment of it and was an emotional mess throughout. 10/10 for Freddie's cats as well.
foxgroveNov 8, 2018
A WORTHY CANDIDATE FOR THE MOST UNDERRATED FILM OF THE YEAR. Attacked by most critics for what it isn't rather than for what it is. Most Freddie Mercury fans want to remember him as presented in this film. The more seedy or sensationalistA WORTHY CANDIDATE FOR THE MOST UNDERRATED FILM OF THE YEAR. Attacked by most critics for what it isn't rather than for what it is. Most Freddie Mercury fans want to remember him as presented in this film. The more seedy or sensationalist side is not pertinent for what his fans want to see. Rami Malek is just sensational in the lead role and the other band members are not given short shrift in a screenplay that is much better than reported. The film is compelling, thoroughly entertaining and the music speaks for itself. The recreation of live aid is fabulous and a special shout out needs to go to hair and make up for just an amazingly believable and wonderful job. Critics stop being so sniffy and enjoy the movie for what it is and not for what you wanted it to be! Expand
GreenZombieNov 5, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yet more proof that critics are out of touch with the fans. This movie was fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it! My absolute favorite part was Mike Meyers being the guy who doesn't like Bohemian Rhapsody lol. That was such a great reference. I have always loved Queen, but didn't really delve into the personal life of the band. This movie was very insightful. As anything, I'm sure a lot of it is just for entertainment value, but man, the actor that played Freddy Mercury looked and acted just like the things I've seen. The ending really immersed me as if I was at the Live-Aid concert. I LOVED IT! Great movie to enjoy in the theaters if you can overcome the outrageous ticket prices. Expand
pjano1Nov 18, 2018
I saw this movie in the cinemas twice now (once with my choir and once with my long term girlfriend). We all loved it, and it's especially good if you know anything about Queen before watching. It's a ten from me
Rej72380Jan 31, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody is no doubt one of the best films of 2018. Rami Malek gives a convincing and excellent performance of the late Queen lead singer Freddy Mercury. The film gives the plot in both narrative and music. I highly recommend thisBohemian Rhapsody is no doubt one of the best films of 2018. Rami Malek gives a convincing and excellent performance of the late Queen lead singer Freddy Mercury. The film gives the plot in both narrative and music. I highly recommend this film to everyone. Expand
Brent_MarchantNov 9, 2018
The critics sure have missed it on this one -- a well-crafted biopic that could use a few tweaks here and there but that otherwise delivers the goods about the legendary rock band Queen and its iconic lead singer Freddie Mercury. I'm not sureThe critics sure have missed it on this one -- a well-crafted biopic that could use a few tweaks here and there but that otherwise delivers the goods about the legendary rock band Queen and its iconic lead singer Freddie Mercury. I'm not sure what reviewers were expecting, but many of the criticisms ring hollow, cynical, superficial or insufficiently explained. Overall, this offering hits mostly right notes in telling its story and enlightening viewers about its central character, and it does so in a way that's entertaining and informative. If nothing else, see it for the excellent performance sequences, but don't be surprised if you come away loving it for the rest of its qualities as well. Expand
anichelsNov 18, 2018
There is one word that comes to mind as I was watching this movie on the big screen: Griping. Sure, some of the events have a Hollywood spin to them, and the historical accuracy of the events is questionable, and maybe I am biased in favourThere is one word that comes to mind as I was watching this movie on the big screen: Griping. Sure, some of the events have a Hollywood spin to them, and the historical accuracy of the events is questionable, and maybe I am biased in favour of Queen. This movie sometimes made me laugh, sometimes had me in tears, and sometimes times tense up. I was emotionally invested in the characters, and that's often the mark of a good film. Expand
NerwanDec 1, 2018
This film is so underrated by the critics. I can't believe they gave it 4.9. The user score is much more realistic, the film is completely fantastic and I love every minute of it.
vagvlMar 24, 2019
I dont know why anyone would hate this film,it is great and i think it is a fair tribute to the bands history and the legend of Freddie.
moviecritic68Feb 1, 2019
It is easily understandable how this film will surely be one of the favorites at the Oscars. A superior performance of the portrayal of Freddie Mercury's pathway to self-destruction. A must see movie if for no other reason just to experienceIt is easily understandable how this film will surely be one of the favorites at the Oscars. A superior performance of the portrayal of Freddie Mercury's pathway to self-destruction. A must see movie if for no other reason just to experience the outstanding musical scores. Expand
Tazcat2011Mar 25, 2019
This is a terrific film. I have no idea why the so-called “critics” bag on it, but the music and acting is wonderful. If you are a fan of Queen, it is a must-see, if you are not, it is still worthy of your time.
CraigEcholsJan 28, 2019
Malek continues to show that he is one of the finest young actors in Hollywood. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is in and of itself, a fantastic movie about the internal yet necessary strife of Queen and the struggles that facedMalek continues to show that he is one of the finest young actors in Hollywood. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it is in and of itself, a fantastic movie about the internal yet necessary strife of Queen and the struggles that faced that simultaneously bonded them, yet pushed them apart.

I think the negative critic reviews stem from the fact of.....well we live in a PC word and delving into the topics like that seems to be the necessary trend to make critics happy. While they do admittedly walk on eggshells with this movie in that regard, it is necessary. This is a movie about Queen, not just Freddie Mercury. This is a story about the band and how they became one of the most powerful and influential forces of the culture they inhabited rather than a singular story about Mercury's demons. And in that regard, it is a fantastic movie.
ThomassFeb 18, 2019
Stunning and terrific movie. Negative critiques seem to be written by Queen fans who wanted a story that was more documentary. I never really followed that band so not a problem for me. The story I liked was about this creative, troubledStunning and terrific movie. Negative critiques seem to be written by Queen fans who wanted a story that was more documentary. I never really followed that band so not a problem for me. The story I liked was about this creative, troubled artist and his change process. Very good movie. Expand
andre27Mar 8, 2019
Adorei o filme em tudo. A prestação de Rami Malek é top e em diversas vezes me emocionei. Brilhantismo, emoção, entrega tudo isto fez parte do filme e a banda sonora com as musicas dos Queen está incrível.

Um dos melhores filmes de 2018 sem

Um dos melhores filmes de 2018 sem duvidas no seu genero.
BitashFeb 23, 2019
Heard a lot of good things about the movie, until I saw it and realized it’s actually better than expected. I didnt love Rami Malik’s accent, how ever his similarity to Freddy Mercury and the way he portrayed him, nailing every move on stage,Heard a lot of good things about the movie, until I saw it and realized it’s actually better than expected. I didnt love Rami Malik’s accent, how ever his similarity to Freddy Mercury and the way he portrayed him, nailing every move on stage, I absolutely believed the character. Very entertaining and a must see. I will watch it again. Expand
PanchogulNov 7, 2018
Acabo de ver Bohemian Rhapsody, una película a la que asistí escéptico y lleno de altas expectativas al mismo tiempo por diversas razones y circunstancias, la cinta me dejó completamente boquiabierto y con el corazón queriendo salirseAcabo de ver Bohemian Rhapsody, una película a la que asistí escéptico y lleno de altas expectativas al mismo tiempo por diversas razones y circunstancias, la cinta me dejó completamente boquiabierto y con el corazón queriendo salirse disparado de mi pecho, sin más que añadir, sean o no sean fans de Queen les recomiendo esta película a ojos cerrados Expand