Paramount Pictures | Release Date: October 5, 1961
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 113 Ratings
Watch Now
SteveA.Jan 12, 2008
This is a very strange movie, but really quite enjoyable. It's not at all as I expected. Audrey Hepburn plays a "party" (code for call) girl, while her upstairs neighbour (the very cute George Peppard) plays a gigolo...and this unlikely This is a very strange movie, but really quite enjoyable. It's not at all as I expected. Audrey Hepburn plays a "party" (code for call) girl, while her upstairs neighbour (the very cute George Peppard) plays a gigolo...and this unlikely couple stagger towards love through an improbably series of events. Still, the whole thing works, and by the final corn-ball scene in the rain you're hooked and it's quite touching. Everyone talks about this movie as 'classic' and how sophisticated, elegant, and beautiful Audrey Hepburn is...but I really wonder how many have actually seen it! Definitely worth seeing. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
Emily---May 15, 2009
This is just my favorite film. Audrey Hepburn is absolutely adorable! I recommend this book to everyone. its random yet classic feel with leave you melted!
0 of 0 users found this helpful
ERG1008Oct 26, 2010
Socialite meets writer who has moved into apartments, become friends, she wants a rich husband, both have secrets, he falls in love with her.
Iconic early sixties rom-com before the word was invented with Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard playing off each other with great chemistry and dialogue.
Despite the comedic face of the film, there is quite a dark under-current throughout which surprised me but wasn't keen on the awful stereotype played by Mickey Rooney. Lovely music also with "Moonriver" used in many different guises.
lasttimeisawDec 3, 2012
For the sake of Audrey Hepburn, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY
AlexLMay 2, 2019
Even though I had never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, probably because it is so often referenced or talked about, I thought I had a really good grasp of what it was about. Now, I've watched it. Turns out, my assumptions were really not thatEven though I had never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, probably because it is so often referenced or talked about, I thought I had a really good grasp of what it was about. Now, I've watched it. Turns out, my assumptions were really not that good and what I mean by that is that they were way off. I absolutely loved that movie. It aged beautifully, it feels timeless. The cinematography is superb and New York looks gorgeous in these exquisite tints and colors. Audrey Hepburn makes a very strong lead with this vibrant and captivating interpretation of Holly Golightly. She is so generous and invested in her part in a very excentric way giving her character such force. Her screen presence is magnetic, you just can't ignore her as though she had cast a spell on you. This very layered performance pulls you in and makes her enigmatic and somewhat improbable characters totally believable. I also appreciated very much the screenplay. It is resolutely modern for so many reasons. Thematically, it was clearly progressive for the time it was made and a lot of it still feels very fresh today and the expression of the gender roles and dynamics is certainly not traditional. When compared to most of today's rom-com, it feels even less stereotypical. The very enticing rhythm is also notable giving the whole movie this sense of urgency. The whole story, taking place in a more or less linear way, is told through subsequent fragments of life with often unpredictable jumps in time that lets you witness the evolution of the characters in a very dynamic way and it always keeps you very alert. Also, even though, it is most often talked about as a romance, personally, I'm not even sure that's how I would describe it. Honestly, during the entire movie, it's never clear what it is about. It embraces certainly much more than a banal love story and brings into light a wide-ranging list of topics. Also, as many have specified, Henry Mancini provides a very sweet soundtrack. Also, I found George Peppard's performance, even though his part is much more subdued than Hepburn's, absolutely delicious and dreamy. He's perfect for the role and shows tenderness and vulnerability rarely shown in male parts. Also, I have to admit his good looks totally swoon me every time he was on the screen. So gorgeous. Finally, I found the last part of the film very moving and it touched me dearly in a way I didn't expect at all. It really lingered with me and I was still moved and rethinking about it many days after viewing it. It really is a wonderful movie and with absolutely no questions it is a film you must see. Just watch it already if you haven't yet. I wish I hadn't waited so long before I did. Expand
SpangleMar 29, 2017
I confess that my recent viewing of William Wyler's heist comedy How to Steal a Million was the first time I had seen Audrey Hepburn in a starring role. Before that, just her bit cameo in Steven Spielberg's Always had crossed my path and thatI confess that my recent viewing of William Wyler's heist comedy How to Steal a Million was the first time I had seen Audrey Hepburn in a starring role. Before that, just her bit cameo in Steven Spielberg's Always had crossed my path and that came just mere weeks before the other occasion. In essence, I am just beginning in my understanding of Hepburn as an actress and perhaps no film captures everything she was in her roles than Breakfast at Tiffany's. Yet, before I get into reviewing it, I feel the need to share. Perhaps I am a bit grim in my own personal life. Death and its inevitability is, naturally, a mainstay in my mind. This has very little to do with Breakfast at Tiffany's on the surface, though I will later try to tie it back in out of my simple need to keep on task in these reviews. For me, death was always something to be feared, though it was focused inward. My own demise, as a young child, kept me up at nights. I can remember lying in bed, paralyzed by the thought that one day, I will die. This, as it often does, turned itself into two things. One, the burning desire to be remembered. When I was younger, the mark of being remembered is to somehow have a Wikipedia page. That way, in 100 years, some stupid kid can hit "random page" and my page will pop up and they will read about how banal my life actually turned out to be. While this may be a bit simplistic, it is the truth nonetheless. Second, fear of death of those I love. Whether it be my mother or my dog, the inevitability of their deaths and my resultant mourning often leaves me on the brink of tears. With my dog, now 15, having an infection under the skin around his salivary glands and being forced into a cone of shame as we wait for the swelling to go down, the light is most certainly appearing at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps not soon, as otherwise, he is incredibly healthy for a dog his age with little-to-no gray hair and enough energy to outpace many young pups. My mother, likewise, has been quite healthy aside from aches and pains. Both are a blessing and will be missed with all of my heart.

However, both have allowed me to realize something bigger. Just as Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain showed me that death is not to be feared, but to be embraced. The mortality of those that I love has shown me that my desire to be remembered does not need to wind up in something juvenile or asinine such as a Wikipedia. To be truly remembered is to remain in the hearts and minds of those that you love. Beyond those that you love, nobody else really matters and whether or not they are aware of your existence is simply not important. As for becoming remembered or finding those that you love, you can merely go about your day-to-day life and live it as you wish. Doing as you wish rather than what others think is right for you or expect you to do is the only way to secure happiness, which is always the key to unlocking the doors awaiting ahead.

Now, what does this have to do with Hepburn and Breakfast at Tiffany's? I am getting to that shortly. But, as many know, Hepburn died of cancer in 1993. In order for her to spend a final Christmas with family, Givenchy flew her out on a private plane - which was filled with flowers - to Switzerland. For some reason, this gesture - though I had read about it before - really struck a chord with me tonight. For Hepburn, she is clearly an idol. Women today still adore her and I have known female friends who have gone as her for Halloween with a black dress and gloves, akin to her famous outfit in this film. Yet, though an icon for women's fashion to this very day and a figure that will last on in Hollywood until the end of time, her final weeks and days were spent with those that she loved. Those that were dear to her gathered around and did anything they could to bring her a last little bit of joy as they spent time together to say goodbye. No matter how loved we are, at the end, only those we love really matter and should matter once we are gone. As long as we remain in their hearts and minds, it was a life worth living.

In her most famous role as Holly Golightly, Hepburn defines her persona as people will see her for as long as she is remembered. From her iconic dresses, cigarette holder, or hairstyle, every inch of her performance has been turned into a style or fashion icon. Bubbly and boisterous, Holly is like many girls I have known. Though they may appear dumb and shallow on the outside for their love of jewels, fancy dresses, or appearances, there is no doubt something on the inside. The rest is merely a facade to hide up something on the inside that hurts them or they do not like. Hepburn's Holly really captures this inner damage as she rejects men she cares for in order to go after rich men who she does not care about. To tie it in to the earlier discussion about death, she was afraid of losing people. To love is to let people in and to open yourself up to emotional turmoil when they leave.
Iky009Nov 28, 2016
Breakfast at Tiffany's is a surprisingly charming, sweet and funny movie. Audrey Hepburn did a wonderful performance. A magnificent classic .
DamorgFeb 12, 2013
My opinion is that this film has not stood the test of time. Yes, the plot is logical, the characters are logical in what they do (even if what they do is illogical) and the acting is solid. The locations are fitting and all this creates aMy opinion is that this film has not stood the test of time. Yes, the plot is logical, the characters are logical in what they do (even if what they do is illogical) and the acting is solid. The locations are fitting and all this creates a very sweet and romantic movie. It's just that newer movies have copied or processed further the events of this one so many times that they are no longer unique. I gave the movie 7, If you like romantic drama with a bit of comedy you can easily give this movie a 9. Expand
funesFeb 18, 2013
[es] Aunque la película no es muy fiel al libro de Capote, es un magnífico complemento.
Creo que Blake Edwards hizo un magnífico trabajo, Audrey Hepburn dio vida a un personaje inolvidable que es suyo para siempre y la música deliciosa.
Goddessof_BlahMar 17, 2013
An enjoyable film. The film brought NY to love with many iconic places and of course is now a fashion and cult classic. And unlike Pretty Woman it wasn't all sparkly and fairy tale like.

Great performance by both actors. I'm glad they

Great performance by both actors. I'm glad they didn't use Monroe to portray a call girl. The film required an actress of has plenty of charm, class and is innocent but sophisticated in order for the audience to feel empathy and to avoid it being a gritty underworld overly dramatized fake-arty film. Sex appeal would not work.

By casting Audrey Hepburn one felt empathy for women like her. She gave the film charm, class and warmth. One didn't feel we were watching the life of a acquisitive woman but rather watching the plight of a friend. She gave the character an endearing quality that a sexy star wold not have been able to achieve. I'm also glad that there was some Tinsel Town visibility in the film's ending the actual ending of the book was far too gritty to make it a book worth reading. One doesn't always wish to be presented with the melancholy weakness of human beings. The want to shock and horrify by labeling it "realistic" can also become far too tried and stereotypical. Overall the film is quite sentimental that isn't all hard edge and has some substance. One felt the conclusion that love, even if in a non-glamorous small flat in NY, is preferable to living as a mistress in South America as a rich man's illicit plaything.
sammieteeApr 13, 2013
I loved Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey Hepburn is amazing in everything she is in. This movie is a wonderful classic love story and you can't help but smile like an idiot at the end.
kristelbonillaNov 9, 2015
My romantic rom-com of all time. it is one of my favorite movies ever. Great performances of both Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard, the two had the best chemistry ever seen in cinema
RoachReviews303Oct 22, 2016
The book itself is phenomenal but the movie is really something else. Shoutout to Henry Mancini for the lovely sounds and Hepburn for the even more lovelier looks.
sarahseans12Feb 4, 2018
This movie is definitely a classic for all those who love the Golden Age of Hollywood. It is a cute movie. Audrey Hepburn makes the movie with her beauty and elegance. It is a nice movie. Not my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie, but it isThis movie is definitely a classic for all those who love the Golden Age of Hollywood. It is a cute movie. Audrey Hepburn makes the movie with her beauty and elegance. It is a nice movie. Not my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie, but it is definitely a cute one. Expand