Bleecker Street Media | Release Date: October 13, 2017
Generally favorable reviews based on 32 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
leeaundraOct 16, 2017
I truly enjoyed this film. Apparently a lot of critics were expecting something grittier from Andy Serkis. I also find it interesting that few publications sent their first string reviewers to write the reviews. Jonathan and Diana CavendishI truly enjoyed this film. Apparently a lot of critics were expecting something grittier from Andy Serkis. I also find it interesting that few publications sent their first string reviewers to write the reviews. Jonathan and Diana Cavendish are 100% behind this film and I DO believe that what is shown is true. Perhaps some
critics wanted more darkness, but I do believe with these peoples' zest for life, they didn't allow much darkness to cloud their love and triumph. Robin lived 36 years longer than the doctors expected. I believe that he, Diana, and Jonathan enjoyed that time as much as humanly possible. It is a love letter, a tale of triumph over adversity, and most of all it is a wonderful love story. Sometimes there IS more light than darkness.
Astor_Apr 22, 2018
Andrew Garfield put up yet another amazing performance, this time playing the role of Robin Cavendish (12 March 1930 – 8 August 1994), a young man who got paralyzed from neck down, after being infected with polio disease.

It is inspiring,

It is inspiring, the journey he went through, from suicidal depression to a life lived to the fullest, set to inspire all severely disabled people. It shows how true love and friendship can support one emotionally and mentally, to overcome even the worst of all predicament. You would be very inspired by the story, and hopefully learn to embrace true living, even in the face of challenges in life.
marymaebennettJan 14, 2018
I have been furious since last night that this is not getting ANY Oscar attention. It was a heartwarming biopic. I don't see why it has all the poor reviews because it "sticks to the biopic formula"; since when has the Oscar's cared aboutI have been furious since last night that this is not getting ANY Oscar attention. It was a heartwarming biopic. I don't see why it has all the poor reviews because it "sticks to the biopic formula"; since when has the Oscar's cared about that? I think my rating reflects this, had it gotten more acclaim, I'd doubt I'd give it a 9. I also will say it seems like people didn't like how "chipper" it was but I really didn't see it that way. This movie pulls out all the stops in the beginning to bring us back to old hollywood which is something I'm a fan of but could scare some people off though the initial Hepburnesque feeling comes to a halt when the polio strikes and the more serious performance of Foy commences. I sometimes thought the orchestral pieces were a bit too busy for my taste but were always effective in achieving the emotion they were trying to convey. The sound of the respirator also was used extremely well in a way that sneaks up on you. In terms of acting I think Foy and Garfield had fine performances. Again, I'm upset at how it's not even being considered for an Oscar nomination because I feel like this should be a movie that gets into categories such as best actor/actress and not necessarily win but AT LEAST be nominated. The real star in terms of showcasing acting ability in my mind was without a doubt Chapman who able to convey so much emotion in the very little amount of scenes he was in. Even if this was getting Oscar buzz, he wouldn't be getting a supporting actor nominee, but he gets a best supporting actor in my book. A very small note I wasn't even going to comment on but then I read another review that had the same thought as me, this movie starts in the fifties and ends in the eighties and their wardrobes NEVER change. If it didn't have the years I would've still thought they were in the imperial age by the end of the film. I would not recommend it for everyone because if you're not into Oscar-bait, you will be bored but I had had a busy day and wanted to decompress and this movie was absolutely perfect for that. Expand
las1957-Nov 2, 2017
I saw this movie - not really sure what to expect. I was surprised at how well done it was. Based on a true story - it had a bit of everything. The actors/actresses were amazing. I haven't seen such a good movie in years. I would be veryI saw this movie - not really sure what to expect. I was surprised at how well done it was. Based on a true story - it had a bit of everything. The actors/actresses were amazing. I haven't seen such a good movie in years. I would be very surprised if it didn't take home some awards....as it should. No profanity, sex or violence which was a nice change. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
DawdlingPoetNov 20, 2021
I thought this was a brilliant film - a sad story, hard to watch in parts but ultimately a story of humanity, of hope in disability and, perhaps slightly more cheesily, a story of love and family.

Its an interesting and in some ways

Its an interesting and in some ways uplifting story and the performances were really good, especially Andrew Garfield, Tom Hollander and Stephen Mangan. Its based on a true story and this made the film all the more interesting to me. I found it intriguing and I respect the Cavendish family for how they coped with what they faced. It made me wonder about the future in terms of technical abilities to help the severley disabled.

This is a film definitely worth seeing - the story seemed well handled, its a thought provoking watch with some great performances, so I recommend it.