Netflix | Release Date: December 22, 2017
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 959 Ratings
Watch Now
VDSDec 31, 2017
I know Will Smith remembers the 80s, it’s the decade from whence he came (unfortunately). Therefore, I’m also pretty sure he’ll have heard of Alien Nation, a movie about a cop who’s teamed up with a recently arrived alien as a partner. TheI know Will Smith remembers the 80s, it’s the decade from whence he came (unfortunately). Therefore, I’m also pretty sure he’ll have heard of Alien Nation, a movie about a cop who’s teamed up with a recently arrived alien as a partner. The difference between that film and this one – Alien Nation was quite good.

Everything you’ve heard about Bright is true – it’s terrible. Even on paper the concept looks daft, but once up on the screen it’s ten times worse. Will Smith plays Will Smith playing Captain Steven Hiller (Independence Day) or Det. Del Spooner (I, Robot), that’s to say the same character he always plays. It’s like he’s turning into an alternate Tom Cruise. There are Orcs and Fairies and swords and LA ‘gangstas’ and so much ridiculousness that if I tell you anymore about it you’ll think I’m on a crack binge.

Netflix give good TV, but their movies stink, and this is the stinkiest so far. Maybe if you fancy a bit of hate-watching, this is the film for you. Or you’re studying film and you want to see how not to do it, this is the film for you. Otherwise, definitely don’t.
MattBrady99Dec 28, 2017
'Bright' was pretty bad. Not surprise to say that when you look at who directed and wrote it. Whoever says this is an important movie due to it's obvious message on racism, needs to shut up. The film literally treats itself as ground breaking'Bright' was pretty bad. Not surprise to say that when you look at who directed and wrote it. Whoever says this is an important movie due to it's obvious message on racism, needs to shut up. The film literally treats itself as ground breaking and a brave look on today society.

'Alien Nation' did it better.

Why does this movie look so ugly? It's got the same color filter as 'Suicide Squad', which is another David Ayer movie. And also 'Son of Saul', a holocaust film. So your telling me this and 'Suicide Squad' has the same color filter of a holocaust movie. Before you say anything, no it doesn't add to the experience, just makes it more dull to watch.

I'll just come out and say it - I've never liked Max Landis. I don't know the guy personally, but he always comes across as arrogant and self-centred. Any movie Landis was involved in, I usually don't like. 'Chronicle' wasn't too bad, but that was just one movie. I'm not trying to hate on him for the shake of hating, he just hasn't done anything to change my mind. He's not a very good writer. Every line of dialogue is this movie was absolutely awful that maybe re-writes isn't so bad for Landis.

Will Smith is a great actor, but isn't great of picking movie roles. I mean, he turned down 'The Matrix' and 'Django Unchained', to instead star in 'After Earth' and 'Collateral Beauty'. I hope Smith makes a come back. To be fair, even with the terrible or Oscar bait movies, I can't say he's bad in them. Same thing can be said about Joel Edgerton.

Overall rating: "It was made for the FANS, NOT the CRITICS!”
nofakereviewsDec 25, 2017
"Stranger Things" and the new "Star Trek" gave me great hopes for this cop movie in a Shadowrun-esque fantasy setting. Bad script, mediocre acting and terrible directing alas made this a gross disappointment.
Hope Netflix turns the concept
Hope Netflix turns the concept into a series - with better writers & directors, they would have something here...
mrmonsterDec 28, 2018
I'm 100% with the critics on this one, this was a terrible movie. I'm normally not the kind of guy who overthinks movies, but this movie has so many blatant plot holes that it's impossible not to notice them.
jisoDec 24, 2017
You'll like this if you've seen Training Day, Harsh Times, Street Kings, End of Watch and Suicide Squad and thought "What if David Ayer combined all his movies into one.

The storyline takes about 45 minutes to begin and before that it's just

The storyline takes about 45 minutes to begin and before that it's just one big reinforcement that people will always be racist in LA, especially dirty cops. Will Smith plays the same Will Smith character and if someone walks in halfway and asks you what his characters name is, you'll say "Will Smith."
MovieMantzDec 23, 2017
Great premise bad execution. Will Smith is amazing as usual but that's not enough to save this movie. Lets not give bad movies a pass just because of their good premise.
DiscountDekuDec 25, 2017
I was very "mixed" on what rating I would give this garbage fire of a film, it was decent but it was still BAD. One of my problems was the excessive amount of cursing in this film, I have no problem with cursing but JESUS, this is a excessiveI was very "mixed" on what rating I would give this garbage fire of a film, it was decent but it was still BAD. One of my problems was the excessive amount of cursing in this film, I have no problem with cursing but JESUS, this is a excessive amount. 99.99999999% of the script was F-bombs. This is worst than The Psycho-Pass movie.
Also there was this fricking elf that looked like a lord of the rings OC. I did laugh a couple times but It was mostly at the characters. Overall, this movie was ok but...... It was still bad.
Roger1718Dec 23, 2017
A movie directed by the same director of suicide squad... that pretty much sums it all...
YesiamaduckDec 24, 2017
The film starts off fine, in fact I was quite enjoying it, but the moment the plot starts to ramp up it falls off the rails. The plot gets overstuffed with uneccesary characters, the are story beats which are downright cringey and the endingThe film starts off fine, in fact I was quite enjoying it, but the moment the plot starts to ramp up it falls off the rails. The plot gets overstuffed with uneccesary characters, the are story beats which are downright cringey and the ending is incredibly unsatisfying. By the end all the good will at the start is removed and the movie ends up a confusing mess. Expand
Eman0221Dec 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It starts off as a "What happens if you mashup "Lord of the Rings" with "Alien Nation" and "Shadowrun" together," interestingly enough, then it devolves into a terrible chase, fantasy/horror movie, with a “chosen one” narrative, and a MacGuffin that everyone wants, in this case, its literally a magic wand, with Ayers literally copying and pasting scenes from all of his previous movies such as "Training Day," "End of Watch," and "Suicide Squad" into this one. Will Smith phones it in by copying and pasting his Deadshot character from "Suicide Squad." Noomi Rapace is criminally underused and wasted as her character and henchmen look like and act like like vampires from the Blade or Underworld series more than elves, as Joel Edgerton is the only acting that stands out as the honest and earnest, first of his kind, Orc cop, who braves a dignified face in the midst of all of the abuse and discrimination. Speaking of which, the way it addresses racial and discrimination is done in the most superficial and stupid way. The social hierarchy and discrimination is never adequately explained or built on, as none of it makes sense. For example, the Orcs are associated with hip-hop and gang culture and clearly coded to be the movie’s African Americans and Hispanics, but then they actually DO include hip-hoping and gangbanging Blacks and Latinos. This would've been better as a TV series than a movie, as a 10-12 episode season would've better built up the world and its characters which they fail to adequately do here, but then again, why would they do that? After all, this was all an experiment to announce to the world that Netflix can do big budget, special effects driven, dreck, with expensive, A-List performers that can attract subscribers and internet fanboys and trolls spamming up the review sites with fake accounts and reviews like you see here on Metacritic and attacking anyone who disagrees with their awful opinions. For the sequel they already green-lit, they need to do a better job with setting up this fantasy world and its characters, or this could be a colossal and very expensive backfire for Netflix, while the big corporate studios continue to laugh as they take more and more of their content away from Netflix to their own streaming services. Expand
dr0nzerDec 26, 2017
The concept interested me and the trailer looked promising and the idea of a massive multi species community/world was really fascinating, few film makers ever manage to pull it off successfully and with Will Smith tagged onto it, I went inThe concept interested me and the trailer looked promising and the idea of a massive multi species community/world was really fascinating, few film makers ever manage to pull it off successfully and with Will Smith tagged onto it, I went in with high expectations... one hour in I was asking myself what the hell am I watching... completely unrealistic, it's pretty much just a crappy story with humans dressed up in costumes running around, infact lose the costumes, alien plot line, just have humans in there and you'll easily see how shallow and lame this movie is. 2 stars because you somehow managed to signed up Will Smith. Expand
DrBlahBlahFeb 6, 2018
What an offensive, ridiculous mess. Between the nonsensical racial allegory that trades in stereotypes like they're Pokemon cards and the dark, unwatchable images on screen, it's easy to see why critics panned this appalling monstrosity.What an offensive, ridiculous mess. Between the nonsensical racial allegory that trades in stereotypes like they're Pokemon cards and the dark, unwatchable images on screen, it's easy to see why critics panned this appalling monstrosity. What's unclear is why Netflix ordered a sequel. Expand
NavyBeanDec 22, 2017
From the director of "Suicide Squad" and the writer of "Victor Frankenstein" ... that sounds like the beginning of a "Mr. Show" skit of two Hollywood execs deliberatley trying to make the worst movie ever. But yet here we are in 2017 and it'sFrom the director of "Suicide Squad" and the writer of "Victor Frankenstein" ... that sounds like the beginning of a "Mr. Show" skit of two Hollywood execs deliberatley trying to make the worst movie ever. But yet here we are in 2017 and it's actually come true! The world truly has lost its mind. Up is down. Day is Night. John Travolta loves Kelly Preston. Robert J. Downey is a good man. I can't wait for what's next as we all slowly slip into the abyss. Thanks a lot, Netflix! Expand
thebagginsDec 22, 2017
Wow, what a massive disappointment! Something, something run, run. Imagine TheWarriors movie but if you took a massive **** on Swans head and then gave no explanation :/
DesassossegoDec 23, 2017
Bright completely wastes its premise, cast and director. It decides to focus on cliched action scenes, that are completely empty and irrelevant because the movie has no content, its just style. The biggest flaw, and the most important thingBright completely wastes its premise, cast and director. It decides to focus on cliched action scenes, that are completely empty and irrelevant because the movie has no content, its just style. The biggest flaw, and the most important thing it needed to succeed, it's the script.
I never liked Landis's work, and he once again proves me right.
The script is not only completely deficient in the construction of this world, but it's also very confusing, incoherent and contradictory.

I honestly hope Netflix forgets the supposed sequel, and buries this thing so we can all forget it.
scootskeetDec 22, 2017
Same basic concept as alien nation just with a predictable and cliche story that was poorly executed.
JiggawattsDec 23, 2017
Oh boy, what a mess. Made by people who don't give a f*** about movies for people who don't give a f*** about movies and don't really care what they watch. A real train wreck of a movie with abysmal editing. The editing is almost on a parOh boy, what a mess. Made by people who don't give a f*** about movies for people who don't give a f*** about movies and don't really care what they watch. A real train wreck of a movie with abysmal editing. The editing is almost on a par with something like Taken 3. Expand
YurchikFeb 18, 2018
As always ... Racism, racism, racism. Only feminists and transgender people are missing! How long will this continue?
MetaKungFuDec 26, 2017
BRIGHT is full of spectacle, it has a great premise, some witty one-liners, and it's loaded with cool images.

It also has some of the worst plot holes, characterization, pacing, dialogue, and worldbuilding in history. In terms of storytelling, this is clearly one of the worst movies of all time. Even those one-liners are often out of character. The film beats you over the head moralizing about race and racism, but the filmmakers don't seem to have spent much time thinking about race or racism.

This is why there's going to be a discrepancy between critics and some casual viewers: critics tend to care about film as a storytelling medium, and BRIGHT has some of the worst storytelling in the history of film. But a viewer who only wants to vege out in front of the tv while watching some cool special effects and images, and chuckle over good-but-formulaic buddy-cop banter, will like it just fine.

Storytelling matters to me, personally, so I didn't enjoy it.
ZachcinctJan 8, 2018
This movie is bad. It’s slow, unoriginal, and ruins a great premise. So if you have Netflix, skip it
kman5473Jan 4, 2018
Every mistake you can make in producing a movie, this movie made. There's WAAAAY too much expository dialogue, all of it written in SO abruptly and unnatural. This world does not feel unnatural because there are fantasy creatures in it--itEvery mistake you can make in producing a movie, this movie made. There's WAAAAY too much expository dialogue, all of it written in SO abruptly and unnatural. This world does not feel unnatural because there are fantasy creatures in it--it feels unnatural because ALL of the dialogue does not flow or feel like someone would ever actually say any of the things characters are saying. Unwatchable. Expand
GerNJul 15, 2018
My wife and I tried several times to continue watching Bright, because of Will Smith. We couldn't. Dumbed way down, with endless violence, presumably aimed at a "youthful" audience.
treestandDec 26, 2017
I am sorry I wasted my time with this film. I was excited for the potential in this type of fantasy/modern mashup but the writing throughout was flat out awful. It seemed like it was written in one go, and you can literally see the charactersI am sorry I wasted my time with this film. I was excited for the potential in this type of fantasy/modern mashup but the writing throughout was flat out awful. It seemed like it was written in one go, and you can literally see the characters barf nonsense exposition at each moment where the writers needed to figure out what to do next. Like watching two six year olds play fantasy cops in the backyard. And I dunno, maybe that's what they were going for, but I was expecting something with a little thought put into it, instead this is an Ed Wood or Troma level B movie. With higher paid actors? Whatever, forgettit. Expand
jmidway22Dec 29, 2017
Great world building even though LAs gangland isn't overly enjoyable but i get it.. training day with orcs. The premise is really cool and I can't fault the pace. But the acting was just ok to bad and the plot was lacking in captivating yourGreat world building even though LAs gangland isn't overly enjoyable but i get it.. training day with orcs. The premise is really cool and I can't fault the pace. But the acting was just ok to bad and the plot was lacking in captivating your mind. Also Will Smith and his partner just didn't have that enjoyable of a chemistry and since that was the bulk of the movie, it made me want to tune out. The orc actor just didn't have it or the director messed him up. I applaud Netflix's step into fantasy but if you want GOTG banter, you need to step it up. Better to not even have funny banter if it comes off bad. Expand
RaccoyoteJan 5, 2018
I think that the premise of Bright theoretically sounded very intriguing, but it fell significantly short of my expectations. I was hoping it would be an interesting take on race and policing, but it isn't. Any social commentary they wereI think that the premise of Bright theoretically sounded very intriguing, but it fell significantly short of my expectations. I was hoping it would be an interesting take on race and policing, but it isn't. Any social commentary they were aiming for with the segregation of society between the mythical races is too heavy-handed, not to mention overshadowed by the lazy stereotyping of the film's human characters. The Hispanic characters are awful caricatures, not to mention this being the second movie in a row David Ayer has made literally featuring a Latino gang-member with a tattooed face. From the angle of the story arc itself, it ends up rushed, poorly explained, and you never quite get what's going on or why you should care about any of the stakes. While watching this with a friend, I can't even count how many times she literally said "this should be a video game", which is a medium in which it may have worked (or longer-form TV show? Will Smith is charming and charismatic as ever but pretty much just plays the exact same character he plays in every cop or action movie (think Independence Day, I Robot, Men in Black, Wild Wild West, or even Suicide Squad) and it would be nice to see him playing something else. Joel Edgerton was also fine, his character was fairly likable but again, if I knew more about his story that would help me care about his plight.

All-in-all, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. One final note, to anyone who thinks that this movie is getting trashed by critics because of some global movie critic conspiracy against streaming services, this was just a bad movie. Just look at the critic scores for two other films by Netflix, Mudbound and Okja, which are 85 and 75 respectively, so clearly they're pretty inconsistent with their global conspiracy.
SanDiegoHarryJan 26, 2018
I actually had high-hopes for this feature, what with Will Smith doing his Will Smith thing and the concept seemed interesting (I had not read the graphic novel); It started interestingly, with the way racism was turned on its head - veryI actually had high-hopes for this feature, what with Will Smith doing his Will Smith thing and the concept seemed interesting (I had not read the graphic novel); It started interestingly, with the way racism was turned on its head - very cool, very likable.

BUT THEN - the horrid writing and plot-holes became apparent. So much potential just to turn in to a splatter movie with pretty CG? I couldn't make it past the first out. This *must* have been a movie set as a movie release that the studios realized was junk and so sold it to Netflix, which isn't above bottom-feeding. And this movie qualifies. Horrid. Just horrid.
IsjanHamelDec 2, 2019
The trailer was more fun than the movie. 3 points because Will Smith is a good actor, dont understand why he did this movie though...
kylo1234321Dec 29, 2019
absolute dumpsterfire. It really doesn't know what it wants to be as the tone is all over the place.