United Artists | Release Date: November 16, 1976
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 64 Ratings
Watch Now
santymvazquezFeb 1, 2018
Carrie, this is one of my favorite old-school horror movies, because despite the low budget and others, they managed to do a great job, without a doubt the best of Stephen King. And obviously, love the end.
inaneswineNov 14, 2017
Half quirky high-school comedy, half harrowing family drama, no adaptations that succeeded it have had the power to produce the shock and horror of the final act of this, the best telling of the story - arguably even better than King's book.Half quirky high-school comedy, half harrowing family drama, no adaptations that succeeded it have had the power to produce the shock and horror of the final act of this, the best telling of the story - arguably even better than King's book. Spacek and Laurie are perfect. Expand
TheQuietGamerJul 11, 2017
A pretty faithful adaptation of the Stephen King novel. The ending is different and nowhere near as explosive (literally) as the one in the book, and you'll also likely notice some different takes on a few characters as well. Yet, little ofA pretty faithful adaptation of the Stephen King novel. The ending is different and nowhere near as explosive (literally) as the one in the book, and you'll also likely notice some different takes on a few characters as well. Yet, little of what made that tale so powerful gets lost in the move to the big-screen. The heartbreaking nature of the events are expertly captured and Sissy Spacek is a darn-near perfect Carrie despite being as skinny as a rail post (in the book the character is a touch overweight). She carries the heart and sole of the character with her awkward, sympathetic, and ultimately powerful performance. The movie is sure to strike a chord with anyone who has ever been bullied. It also serves as one of the best anti-bullying messages there is. No, not because Carrie eventually has her revenge on all those who tormented her. Instead it is because of the ability the story has to make us feel what Carrie feels. Her loneliness, hurt, fear, and embarrassment are channeled into the viewer thanks to Spacek. Her performance has the power to express what the character is going through beneath the surface almost as well as the words on the pages on the novel do. It's incredible stuff and makes the final act all the more riveting and crushing as we watch Carrie rise only to be let down again.

As a horror movie it is both beautifully shot and not very frightening. The real terror comes not from jumps on the screen, but from the at times awful nature of our fellow human beings. The blood certainly does flow in the final act, which is both spectacular and violent, but I wouldn't go as far as calling this a "scary" movie in the traditional sense. It's the subject matter that makes it a part of the horror genre. It's also worth noting how beautifully shot this is. It's an excellent recreation of the book even if liberties have been taken and alterations have been made here and there, ensuring that it isn't a 100% faithful adaptation. These deviations aren't really a big deal. Yes, the book is a masterpiece, but this movie does so much right that it most certainly stands on it's own as it captures so much of what made the book so incredible.

It's a heart-wrenching story and I think one of the best darn horror movies ever made. Certainly a contender for the best Stephen King adaptation. You owe it to yourself to see why this movie and character are so iconic. It's a quality offering in just about every way. It's emotional events and grisly finale will stick with you long after the credits have rolled. It manages to be both touching and horrifying. Human and monstrous. Just like real high-school.

9.2/10
foxgroveAug 27, 2019
My favourite film of all time, which I must have seen getting on for 150 viewings. The iconic Carrie is astonishingly powerful and heart breaking as portrayed by the brilliant Sissy Spacek. Kudos to all the cast who were fresh at the time,My favourite film of all time, which I must have seen getting on for 150 viewings. The iconic Carrie is astonishingly powerful and heart breaking as portrayed by the brilliant Sissy Spacek. Kudos to all the cast who were fresh at the time, although only Travolta really went on to further acclaim. Piper Laurie was already an established name from the 50's and she is supurb here. DePalma's direction is faultless. Style and confidence rule the day. Editing is fluid and Pino Donaggio's score reminds one that they really don't compose lush melodies form films anymore.
A sublime fim. One to see again and again.
PanchogulDec 4, 2018
Para mi es simplemente excelente en todos los aspectos posibles, los personajes, las actuaciones, la banda sonora, la dirección, absolutamente todo.
amheretojudgeSep 3, 2019
It is a short, short tale about big people, heavy message and huge caliber of cast passing on the envelope.

Carrie De Palma fascinates me. I love his fascination over the slow motion shots. For it is easily the most difficult thing to own

Carrie

De Palma fascinates me. I love his fascination over the slow motion shots. For it is easily the most difficult thing to own and it is also the cheesiest cinematic experience you can offer to the audience. Many have come and gone and very few have managed to walk that very fine line. And I think the director Brian De Palma is up there, along with Quentin Tarantino whose old style filmmaking brings it out in him. Take Once Upon A Time In Hollywood or Kill Bill or Django Unchained. Compared to him, De Palma's decision is safer.

If Tarantino is just celebrating, gloating, bragging in these shots with volume of his favorite song turned to maximum, De Palma is actually passing meticulous information, justifying his choice and keeping us engage with a spooky background score that takes over the audio. And I feel that just like The Untouchables and Scarface, the entire runtime- it is incredibly short and swift- is building towards the final slow motion showdown. And IT WORKS. You are with him throughout that sequence, biting nails, widening your eyes and shortening your breathe, it is a beautiful experience.

Now, this also brings up the performance. The choreography, production and all the set pieces ought to be in sync when things are going slow, but the first and foremost priority is the performance. You have to have the best team to pull off this heist and he has got Sissy Spacek bringing this iconic role alive on screen. Flamboyantly rigid in her body language and her facial expression, she is surprisingly pulling this film up to a whole new level. For despite of Stephen King being the source, horror being the genre and tragedy being the case, never for a moment I felt uneasiness or physically distant with Carrie.
TomtagMay 6, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brian De Palma’s Carrie (1976) had grown really popular for horror fans based on Stephen King’s very first novel with the same name. It’s about Carrie White, a shy, friendless teenage girl who is sheltered by her domineering, religious mother, unleashes her telekinetic powers after being humiliated by her classmates at her senior prom. The screenplay was written by Lawrence D. Cohen. I don’t really care much about the screenplay because it’s already good! What could be wrong about it? Starring Sissy Spacek as Carrie White, Piper Laurie as her terrible mother (she’s an a-hole), Margaret White, who knew too much about Christianity. There’s Amy Irving as Sue Snell, one of the a-holes who bullied Carrie but she ‘s a good guy in the end (so not much of an a-hole then). Carrie also had one or two enemies, Chris Hargensen played by Nancy Allen and Billy Nolan played by an actor some of us had known already, John Travolta. I forgot, there was also Tommy Ross played by William Katt. It was good acting, Spacek had real emotions for her character, she also had great motivation. I was glad that she was nominated for Best Actress in the Oscars (I’ve also heard that Kathy Bates won Best Actress for the movie Misery, also based on Stephen King’s book). Laurie was as good as Spacek being Carrie’s mother with a dark character and acted like she’s the one who knew the most about Christianity and she locked Carrie in a room. That’s what happens when you know too much about something…cuz it would drive you mad and...hurt others. There are a few iconic scenes from the movie. I think the most iconic scene of them all was prom scene. If there wasn’t a prom scene, Carrie wouldn’t be a success. A bucket of blood fell on her and the bucket knocked Tommy Ross’ head and he died. Carrie raged and used her telekinetic powers to kill everyone in the prom and when she went out, Chris and Billy were her victims as well, trapped in her car and f*cking dead. Why do I usually see at least one character has a superpower in each Stephen King adaptation? Such as Danny Torrance with the Shining power from the Shining, Pennywise from IT,…I usually didn’t think horror movies would be really successful when a character has powers. But I was wrong. The main character Carrie here used her powers in a frightening way for audiences. She used her powers to kill characters which made this a horror masterpiece. I really love the prom scene!
I also liked the soundtrack they made. The music when Carrie killed her mother was dramatic, frightening and I felt old. But I wasn’t impressed when they copied the noises from Psycho (1960) to make the scenes when Carrie using her powers scarier and they were. The 70s cinematography was also one of the parts that made the movie one of the most popular horror movies up to now. I really like this Stephen King adaptation, it had many terrifying things: the 70s cinematography, the soundtrack and noise which they stole from Psycho, the blood, Carrie’s eyes and rage,… This movie is certainly unforgettable with its iconic scenes. This is one of the best Stephen King’s adaptations to date. My Ratings: 9.1/10
ArcanaThe4thMay 29, 2019
Carrie might have not aged perfectly, a few of things wouldn't fly with today's audience, but it's still a horror classic for a reason. The hardships of youth and growing up being different are given a horror outlook in a way that few moviesCarrie might have not aged perfectly, a few of things wouldn't fly with today's audience, but it's still a horror classic for a reason. The hardships of youth and growing up being different are given a horror outlook in a way that few movies since have managed to capture, even though many have tried. Carrie is a tragic villain and the scene you have come to watch has deserved the love it has earned since. Expand
paulhuntertenorJul 21, 2019
For me, this movie hit all of the wrong notes. I do appreciate its aesthetics, sense of camp, and Piper's performance as the titular role. However, the writing fails to flesh out likable nor understandable characters, and the gratuitousFor me, this movie hit all of the wrong notes. I do appreciate its aesthetics, sense of camp, and Piper's performance as the titular role. However, the writing fails to flesh out likable nor understandable characters, and the gratuitous "teenage" nudity in the first scene started the movie on an eye-rolling sour note for me. The portrayals of bullying and parental abuse, for me, were lost in the no man's land between generational differences and campy hyperbole. I understand why some may love this movie, and I think it deserves its spot as a classic, but I was ultimately disappointed. Expand